Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,004
    Creeps up to $2.39

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Looks like your keyboard is dropping whole words Sneakers.

Isn't that supposed to be "The creeps are up to $2.39"?
    Heh... no, it must be this new "txtng enhncd kybd" (spell checker not included)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,357
    Gas price is bouncing around here. With a week went from $1.75 to 2.01, down to $1.89 and is now at $1.93.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    Our Costco gas is up to $2.50 and diesel $2.65. Nice while it lasted. I was just reading this tidbit about CA oil production. We do not tax the oil. But we sure tax the finished product to da max.

To date, about 210,000 oil, gas, and geothermal wells have been drilled in California and around 88,500 are still in use. About 4,680 new wells were drilled in the state in 2012. The Division oversees around 570 companies that operate the wells. Daily oil production in 2012 was 541,000 barrels, placing California fourth among oil producing states.

http://www.conservation.ca.gov/dog/Pages/aboutUs.aspx
    So the oil is pumped royalty free? They just collect property tax on the equipment, like they do on all the other businesses? If Cali doesn't own the oil that's pumped, I assume the feds get the royalties?
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,829
    In all states it's the entity that owns the 'lease' that gets the royalty. On state lands it's the state, but on private lands it starts out as the landowner, but they often sell the rights to other parties. For production from private lands many states get a direct tax benefit (Texas gets a 'severance tax'), I guess CA doesn't.
    edited February 2015
    Thanks @texases - seems like all the PFD money came from Alaska's ownership of the oil on state lands. Or something like that. :) Seems like the oil companies in California are getting a nice subsidy - must explain why gas is so cheap there. :D
    Oh yeah, the PFD is funded by AK's severance tax. The state has messed with the formula many, many times.
    edited February 2015
    Sounds like some of the royalties go to the PFD too (so AK gets both severance and royalty payments? - No wonder there are so many boondoggles up there).
    edited February 2015
    Yep, royalties too. Add on the pipeline tariff and oil quality differential, and the net wellhead revenue on the North Slope can be way less than West Texas Intermediate or Brent.
    stever said:

Thanks @texases - seems like all the PFD money came from Alaska's ownership of the oil on state lands. Or something like that. :) Seems like the oil companies in California are getting a nice subsidy - must explain why gas is so cheap there. :D

Typical of CA reward the fat cats and screw the middle classes. AK gets a large amount of revenue from oil. I think the last governor gave a bunch back that Palin had negotiated out of the oil companies. I was just surprised when I read in another article that CA was the only state without severance tax on resources. No wonder they shut down most of the mining in the state.
    I'm in favor of a 'reasonable' severance tax, it gets states interested in reasonable resource development. Not that AK has been reasonable, they've monkeyed with it in wacky ways, at one point an incremental barrel could get a 40% severance tax on it, depending on how the many variables were set.
    edited February 2015
    I'm waiting for the states to decide that sunshine and wind are exploitable resources like mineral wealth and then charge homeowners royalties and severance taxes on harvesting of that energy.

Colorado at least has flip-flopped a bit on claiming sole ownership of all rainwater that falls on your property but several other states say the rain that falls on your roof belongs to someone else. Mark Miller Toyota in Utah got into hot water over this. (naturalnews.com)
    Fluttering at $2.37

Diesel at $3.19

Edmunds Moderator

$2.00 for RUG, $2.55 for diesel in Dallas. Diesels dropped a bit...
    Cheapest gas today is $2.01 and a fifth. Haven't seen a deviation from .9 in years.

Most RUG is running $2.09 to $2.19, and Premium is around $2.79, with a couple of stations offering it for $2.59. Diesel is $2.79 to $2.99.
    Too cold to go out and check today. Took until 2PM for it to get above zero in my backyard :)

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 111,040
    PF_Flyer said:

Too cold to go out and check today. Took until 2PM for it to get above zero in my backyard :)

Ouch. $1.979 for RUG at the local Kroger today.

Snow predicted here in Colorado but nothing like what's going on back east.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,357
    We got a bit of snow but a lot of cold and wind.

1.99 at Costco.
    2.07 at Exxon
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,206
    87 octane prices increased to $2.37 ~ $2.49 in my area. A couple towns over prices still holding at $2.20. Diesel holding at $2.39 with a few stations near the highways at $2.69. Haven't checked E85 in a long time.

These sudden "refinery issues" makes you wonder...
    All our prices are up. ARCO has the cheapest diesel at $2.55. Same station selling RUG for $2.71

http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/ARCO_Gas_Stations/Oceanside/23612/index.aspx

Too far to drive. Most local diesel is $2.75. Cheapest Costco RUG $2.58.

I don't think the strike will end well for the Unions.

Managers bunk down at U.S. refineries as strike enters third week

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/15/us-refinery-operations-labor-strike-idUSKBN0LJ0HR20150215
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,206
    Hopefully the control engineer from the article who quit thought over all everything before quitting.
    Still $2.37 - $2.39 here as we got to venture out for car inspection this morning even though it was 5 below. A balmy 9 degrees now B)

Edmunds Moderator

edited February 2015
    Running on fumes this afternoon going to the dentist. Light was on as was the Low Fuel message on the instrument panel. Drove about 10 miles like that - my dentist was only a half mile from the cheap gas place in the middle of constrution so I drove down there and filled (~18+ gallons - plenty left B) ) for $2.01.

Went by the other cheapo station on the alternative route home and it was also $2.01, but forgot to see if it was still .5 or whether they went back to .9.

Lots of other places were $2.15 to $2.17 - seems like the creep up has eased off. Diesel and Premium are around $2.67 still most places.
    I filled the Touareg yesterday. It was at 651 miles. I stopped at a Shell on my way home rather than drive an extra 15 miles to get cheaper diesel. Paid $3.05 a gallon. Took 24.94 gallons in my 26.4 gallon tank. It was ARCO/BP ULSD and gave me the best around town mileage to date at 26.1 MPG. 2 MPG better than Shell, Costco or 76 and 3 MPG better than Mobil. Costco is still selling diesel at $2.77. Too far out of the way. Worst part is I could have filled at the ARCO near me on Saturday at $2.75. By Monday it was $2.99 cash of course. With the 3% with AMEX Shell was cheaper.
    gagrice said:

I filled the Touareg yesterday. It was at 651 miles. I stopped at a Shell on my way home rather than drive an extra 15 miles to get cheaper diesel. Paid $3.05 a gallon. Took 24.94 gallons in my 26.4 gallon tank. It was ARCO/BP ULSD and gave me the best around town mileage to date at 26.1 MPG. 2 MPG better than Shell, Costco or 76 and 3 MPG better than Mobil. Costco is still selling diesel at $2.77. Too far out of the way. Worst part is I could have filled at the ARCO near me on Saturday at $2.75. By Monday it was $2.99 cash of course. With the 3% with AMEX Shell was cheaper.

Ouch - $76 to fill the tank. I can fill my tank 3 times (almost 4) for the same amount of money here in Colorado. And go almost twice as far.

But, your Touareg is a much nicer rig than my Hyundai. So there's that.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michaell Ouch - $76 to fill the tank. I can fill my tank 3 times (almost 4) for the same amount of money here in Colorado. And go almost twice as far.

Something interesting about Colorado and NM gas. On my trips through your state it was always the cheapest gas and the lowest octane. And it gave me the best MPG starting way back with my 1979 Honda Accord through my Toyota Sequoia. Looking at your gas buddy, you still have gas for $1.89, a buck a gallon cheaper than our cheapest. But your diesel is only about 30 cents cheaper than ours. The price we pay for 75 degrees all winter long. :'(

I am not complaining, a year ago I was paying over $4 per gallon for diesel. If it settles in at $3 for a while I can live with it. That was a months driving.
    gagrice said:

Michaell Ouch - $76 to fill the tank. I can fill my tank 3 times (almost 4) for the same amount of money here in Colorado. And go almost twice as far.

Something interesting about Colorado and NM gas. On my trips through your state it was always the cheapest gas and the lowest octane. And it gave me the best MPG starting way back with my 1979 Honda Accord through my Toyota Sequoia. Looking at your gas buddy, you still have gas for $1.89, a buck a gallon cheaper than our cheapest. But your diesel is only about 30 cents cheaper than ours. The price we pay for 75 degrees all winter long. :'(

I am not complaining, a year ago I was paying over $4 per gallon for diesel. If it settles in at $3 for a while I can live with it. That was a months driving.

I think the octane is lower due to the altitude - 85, 87 and 91 here in Colorado, and 86, 88, and 91 in NM.

RUG is $1.979 at my local Kroger; diesel is $2.639 at the same station.

I'm not against diesels; my folks owned a '72 MB 220D back in the 80's (CA vanity plate "REAL SLO") and I'd love to see VW bring over the GTD at a reasonable price point.

lol, I bet there were some VW Bus owners back in that era who were bummed to miss out on the REAL SLO vanity plate.