Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 33,709
    I still plan on having the RDX for at least 10 years. which means at least 5 without payments (though I still expect to pay it off early).

and hopefully whatever we get when the Sonata goes back is a buy, not a lease. though remains to be seen if it is new or used, and who gets it! Might be another lease though, to free up cash to recover from the last year of college payments.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,149
    stickguy said:

Might be another lease though, to free up cash to recover from the last year of college payments.

And, if choosing between a car and college, the education is likely the better investment, right? ;)

I'm trying to prepay the college years now. That way, when it's time for them to go to school, they get that and anything else is on them. I can wash my hands of it with a clean conscience.

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,459
    edited April 2015
    @breld - you hit the nail right on the head. Our pilot is more functional than anything. Mechanically it is in perfect shape.The body has its fair share of small scuffs and scrapes, but nothing major.it is still worth a lot more than we owe on it.  After the 3 year (lease it to yourself) mark, I definitely found myself not wanting to reset the 5 year payment clock or get into a leasing cycle.  With (almost) 1 year to go to pay it off and only 61K miles on the odometer we are definitely in the home stretch of only having 1 car payment.  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 130,765
    I paid cash for the last three cars, and my last lease payment went away in September...

And yet, it doesn't seem to have translated to any more cash in the monthly budget.. I think we spend two car payments on eating out, each month.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,926
    I just got my old desktop to work a bit, noisey as hell though, and imported my newer pics from my newer smartphone. I found a pic of my Golf and put it into my thumbnail. Not sure how to make it larger but will play around with it here. I am probably the most tech challenged poster in here, luckily my kids are all tech wizards!
    Well, can't seem to do it but if anyone knows how to, please let me know!! thanks.

The Sandman
    :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

kyfdx said:

I paid cash for the last three cars, and my last lease payment went away in September...

And yet, it doesn't seem to have translated to any more cash in the monthly budget.. I think we spend two car payments on eating out, each month.

It is funny how that works out. We refinanced our mortgage in March, so April is supposed to be the month where we "skip a payment." I would have had to pay the mortgage payment by tomorrow. I just checked my bank account and I don't see anywhere near what the mortgage payment would have been just sitting there waiting to be transferred into the kitchen renovation fund. I know a big part of that is due to the fact that our life insurance premiums are due in April. I'll know more once my wife's check gets deposited tomorrow.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 124,484
    nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

It is funny how that works out. We refinanced our mortgage in March, so April is supposed to be the month where we "skip a payment." I would have had to pay the mortgage payment by tomorrow. I just checked my bank account and I don't see anywhere near what the mortgage payment would have been just sitting there waiting to be transferred into the kitchen renovation fund. I know a big part of that is due to the fact that our life insurance premiums are due in April. I'll know more once my wife's check gets deposited tomorrow.
    I've been meaning to reach out to my mortgage company ... with the appreciation of home values, I'm real close to the tipping point where I can drop the PMI and save a few hundred a month.

Of course, the folks who hold my mortgage want me to refinance and drop PMI - but, the interest rate would be higher than what I've got now. I think I hit the absolute bottom of the market when I last did this - 3.25% for a 30 year fixed.

I'll agree - every time we pay something off or adjust our budget to have more disposable income, that money just seems to disappear.

I just adjusted my 401(K) contribution and my tax withholding status to shrink my paycheck - and, hopefully, help avoid the gigantic check I had to write to the federal government earlier this week.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

kyfdx said:

I think we spend two car payments on eating out, each month.

Yeouch! My family doesn't tend to eat out much, but we've been rather gluttonous this year! We already dined at a restaurant TWICE! :s

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,876
    kyfdx said:

Lots of good places to do that in Northern KY/Cinci... The house I'm buying is within walking distance of my favorite restaurant/bar, which won't be good for my budget or my waistline.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 130,765
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

Lots of good places to do that in Northern KY/Cinci... The house I'm buying is within walking distance of my favorite restaurant/bar, which won't be good for my budget or my waistline.
    It's about two miles to the nearest bar that I would hang out at... That keeps me from walking there in bad weather, anyway.. Hmmm.. nice day, today. ;)

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Actually, since I turned in my BMW and started making Subaru payments, I do make it a point to pay myself the extra $200 per month by transferring into my kitchen renno fund savings account immediately after I make the car payment.

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Good excuse to buy a car....

Did you buy your most recent car at least in part because you were drawn to the car's automated safety features (such as adaptive cruise control, parking assist, automatic braking, lane departure warnings, etc.)? If so, a reporter would like to hear your story. Please contact [email protected] by no later than Monday, April 20, 2015.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 3,029
    Part of my selection process these days for a new car includes:
    Can I turn off all such 'automated safety features' ?
    And will they STAY off across a re-start ?
    - Ray
    True of my current car = all present & off .....
    2016 BMW 340i
    edited April 2015
    I probably posted this last month, but it's right down your alley.

(And no, it's not a pic of a horse and buggy. :D We're talking Miatas and the like.)
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,876
    Very nice. Something like that can really pay dividends for them later on. Our office supply company sends Mrs. Fields treats with every order, although I really wish they didn't, since I have no resistance to sugary food.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 11,096
    Hmm. When I leased my new Cadillac I got exactly zilch from the dealer afterwards. Not even a card.

Actually the only time I ever got anything was when I bought my '02 Intrigue. A week or so later a small package arrived at my office with a card, coffee mug, and some treats. On the '09 and '11 Buicks, nothing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    ab348 said:

Hmm. When I leased my new Cadillac I got exactly zilch from the dealer afterwards. Not even a card.

Actually the only time I ever got anything was when I bought my '02 Intrigue. A week or so later a small package arrived at my office with a card, coffee mug, and some treats. On the '09 and '11 Buicks, nothing.

If buying a new car would get me free cookies, I'd buy a lot more often. I love free eats. ;)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,553
    ab348 said:

That's not good on your dealer's part. I got an insulated tote with the Cadillac emblemm, two nice Cadillac keychains, and a $50 restaurant gift card from my dealer.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 694
    Hey Fin!

What say you about this one?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4987467265.html
    slorenzen said:

Hey Fin!

What say you about this one?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4987467265.html

I'm not the expert, but headlights didn't look like that on a 1983. Those look like post 1987 headlights.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,455
    Holy flaming hockey puck, Batman! Saturday went running with the boys. Beautiful, sunny day. Parked the car in an open lot, sun beaming down on Mother Earth. Came back from the run, after shooting the breeze a bit hopped in the car, the chrome hockey puck arose, I gripped it and BURN!!! I've oft read about the metallic beauty heating up in the hot Summer sun, but first time I think I've experienced it! Lesson learned, will leave something over it going forward when there is no shelter from the sun.

But, still love the XF. Great car

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

Holy flaming hockey puck, Batman! Saturday went running with the boys. Beautiful, sunny day. Parked the car in an open lot, sun beaming down on Mother Earth. Came back from the run, after shooting the breeze a bit hopped in the car, the chrome hockey puck arose, I gripped it and BURN!!! I've oft read about the metallic beauty heating up in the hot Summer sun, but first time I think I've experienced it! Lesson learned, will leave something over it going forward when there is no shelter from the sun.

But, still love the XF. Great car

I was thinking about you Saturday afternoon on my way home from work. I'm cruising home and notice an XF approaching fast in my rear view. I move over and as he passes I notice the subtle R badge on the back. Very sexy car and very tastefully done!

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,893
    ab348 said:

I bought a 2000 Intrigue GL with sunroof in 2001. It was loaner at the Olds/Cad dealer. They treated me great, as if I bought a Caddy. Low mileage and nice condition. Had the typical steering half shaft clunk which they greased up and the clunk went a way for a while. 3.5 had nice power, smooth, and quiet. Sold it to Car Max as I found an 01 Aurora 4.0 with all options except nav for a really attractive price in 2003. Not counting the 95 Cutlass Ciera SL that dad gave me while I had the Aurora, that was the last Olds I've owned as the brand was retired.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• fintailfintail Posts: 48,238
    I got nothing but cards when I've bought cars - from one, I got cards for about 10 years after I bought the car, which amused me. I don't mind it, I'd rather have the money saved than swag, that stuff comes from somewhere.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,280
    When my wife bought her 3er from The BMW Store back in 2008 she was sent a box of Godiva chocolates.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,553

When my wife bought her 3er from The BMW Store back in 2008 she was sent a box of Godiva chocolates.

That's a nice touch. I've got a box of dealer swag around somewhere. I think I've even got an Edmunds pen around that doubles as a toy car as well as an Edmunds tire gauge.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    GG, got the same "gifts" from Edmunds recently and it was a nice surprise. We both got zilch from Audi or VW when we bought last December but such is life, we both love our vehicles, a lot. Had a rotation done this morning at 4935 miles and since the 1st service is due at 10k, figured might as well do the swap on my n/s day today. Audi tire icon came on Sunday but turns out the pressure was low in one of the tires so they fixed that, checked all the tires and gave it a wash/vacuum so now it's looking brand new again.
    Tint guy came to the house Saturday and did both vehicles and so far, so good. Been home basically since then so tomorrow it'll be outside all day at work so the heat can dry things out better. Glad we finally got this done, word of mouth from a friend who also bought an A3 the same time as we did and she was very pleased with his work. Right now, so are we!

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,575
    I've never seen an aftermarket tint more than 7 or 8 years old that had not gone to ____. Yes, I know you probably won't own the vehicle that long, but I would still be very reluctant to go there.
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
    What level of tinting did you get, Sandy?
    henryn said:

I've never seen an aftermarket tint more than 7 or 8 years old that had not gone to ____. Yes, I know you probably won't own the vehicle that long, but I would still be very reluctant to go there.

I've had aftermarket tint on two of my Saturns for 7+ years with no problems whatsoever. And this is in Colorado, where the sun is brighter and harsher due to the altitude.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,213

That's a nice touch. I've got a box of dealer swag around somewhere. I think I've even got an Edmunds pen around that doubles as a toy car as well as an Edmunds tire gauge.
    I got nothing for buying a $63k Cadillac, but have many Edmunds items. The travel mug and fleece jacket get a tremendous amount of use. :)

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,638
    Michaell said:

henryn said:

I've had aftermarket tint on two of my Saturns for 7+ years with no problems whatsoever. And this is in Colorado, where the sun is brighter and harsher due to the altitude.
    My understanding is if you use the new ceramic tints they will hold up much, much better.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I assume the Edmunds gifts are for using their service to get pricing or whatever?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I know there are folks on this board who have pretty good knowledge of older cars .. help a new member out, please:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/33781/chrysler/x/in-over-my-head#latest

Another request for a new member ... specifically, looking for a new or used SUV...

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/33782/general/x/help-me-choose-an-suv#latest

Received a mailer from a Honda dealer where I have serviced the Pilot a few times. It came with 3 "checks"

Check #1 - $15.00 off of an oil & filter change
    Check #2 - Up to $100 off any parts & service
    Check #3 - $250 towards purchase or lease of any new/used vehicle

Hmm, I wonder if they have some sort of chronic car buyer database:)

henryn said:

I think the tinting is a Florida / Arizona thing.
    nyccarguy said:

Received a mailer from a Honda dealer where I have serviced the Pilot a few times. It came with 3 "checks"

Check #1 - $15.00 off of an oil & filter change
    Check #2 - Up to $100 off any parts & service
    Check #3 - $250 towards purchase or lease of any new/used vehicle

Hmm, I wonder if they have some sort of chronic car buyer database:)

Wow !!! $250 off --- that's practically getting the car for free !!
  • thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,126
    henryn said:
    I've got one now that is 14 years old with nary a bubble.  The 13 year old tint job on my Civic was the same when I traded it in. If the installer is a pro and takes his time, you can get good results.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,213
    ab348 said:

I assume the Edmunds gifts are for using their service to get pricing or whatever?

I've usually have gotten them for answering the reporter requests. One time for being member of the month, or whatever they called that when they were doing it.

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

Geez, I've only been here since forever and am about to make my 20,000th post here. That ought to be worth a cookie. ;)

The tint on my Civic lasted over 8 years and was still in great shape. We both got the lightest tint he had since we don't want or need a problem driving at night. He did take a lot of time on each vehicle, close to 2 hours, so hopefully he did a good job. I am optimistic here...very optimistic!

The Sandman :) B)

edited April 2015
    ab348 said:

Geez, I've only been here since forever and am about to make my 20,000th post here. That ought to be worth a cookie. ;)

We serve cookies here and hope you consume them often. :D
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,783
    edited April 2015
    I think that those who have had problems with aftermarket tints were from the DIY-ers, not the ones done by a reputable professional. Most or many of the latter come with lifetime guarantees. I wouldn't have a car without it unless I lived in northern Canada or Siberia.
    I was thinking about getting the back windows (passenger doors and the cargo area windows) of my Fiesta tinted similar to the factory tint on the Forester. I think that is "40%." Not too dark to be practical at night, but dark enough to help cut down on the solar gain for the kids. They don't get the advantage of visors in the back seats, and during the looooong days of low-angle light we get much of the year, that could be a very good thing (both for them AND for me. LOL).
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    I've got a jacket from being the first recognized poster (what did they call that - I think "Meet fezo"). I got a hat maybe 20 years ago when I won a trip to the NY Auto Show (well actually admittance to the show; I took the bus in...). Got lunch to boot.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 33,709
    I have a t shirt from doing an interview about 14 years ago. I think it hit the paint shirt pile by now. I have a vague recollection of another shirt more recently, but I could have hallucinated that.

sadly, my big movie debut in one of the Edmunds video profiles fell through. I got aced out by some guy in LA.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• ventureventure Central PAPosts: 1,387
    fezo said:

I've got a jacket from being the first recognized poster (what did they call that - I think "Meet fezo"). I got a hat maybe 20 years ago when I won a trip to the NY Auto Show (well actually admittance to the show; I took the bus in...). Got lunch to boot.

I remember, Ask Fezo.

2020 Ascent, 2018 Legacy 3.6R, 2015 Crosstrek

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    Ah, yes. Now that was a great topic - or ten or however many renditions we had....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.