Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fintail said:

Which recent (within say 45 years) special MBs have fared well? They've all suffered some depreciation, although the deprecation floor for cars like SLR or Black Series models is quite high, and likely already recovered from the lowest point.

People who bought the final 280SE 3.5 coupes and cabrios, and of course earlier SLs, have fared well.

A recent good investment would be the Z8.

Buying up special editions to flip for a profit is a betting man's game, that's for sure. I think some folks who jumped on Porsche and Benz special models did pretty well. You gotta pay to play though.

Mercedes SLS has done "ok"--the MSRP was $183K in 2011 and one just sold this month for $194K. That was, however, a bit of a strong price. I would have predicted about $160K. Still, use it for 6 years (modestly) and sell it for about MSRP---not bad for a specialized Benz---which as you say, historically don't do that well.

BMW Z8s seem to be hovering around $160K--$200K, which is pretty good for a 14 year old car that probably cost about that $160K with options when new. So you can break even after 14 years---but not when adjusted for inflation.

Compare that to a 2000 Bentley Arnage, which MSRP'd at around $200K and is now worth a whopping....$30K

Ouch. Wrong choice there Mr. "Investor".
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    That does seem a little high for an SLS, might have been an exceptional car. Gullwing doors and hardcore AMG internals will keep prices high, just as the McLaren name and wacky styling will keep the SLR from going into my price range. Even Maybachs are still relatively expensive, given their somewhat boring styling and insane maintenance costs. MB did a good job building up the hype.

In 2000 when the Z8 hit the road, you could still buy old houses here for 200K, now worth 600K or more, so the car was indeed not the best investment. I doubt many of the original buyers bought it for that though, or needed the investment. For those things, it is those with money doing even better.

Generally, a supercar or iconic design car will fare better than a normal sedan - see what a 100K 2000 S500 is worth these days. Even Bentleys and Rolls-Royce can depreciate to very little.

I wonder what a 90s era Continental SC would bring today - widebody styling and removable top, very cool:

Mercedes SLS has done "ok"--the MSRP was $183K in 2011 and one just sold this month for $194K. That was, however, a bit of a strong price. I would have predicted about $160K. Still, use it for 6 years (modestly) and sell it for about MSRP---not bad for a specialized Benz---which as you say, historically don't do that well.

BMW Z8s seem to be hovering around $160K--$200K, which is pretty good for a 14 year old car that probably cost about that $160K with options when new. So you can break even after 14 years---but not when adjusted for inflation.

Compare that to a 2000 Bentley Arnage, which MSRP'd at around $200K and is now worth a whopping....$30K

Ouch. Wrong choice there Mr. "Investor".

edited April 2017
    About 80,000 BP I would think, in the UK, for something spectacular. Not here, though.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    breld said:

@js06gv - congrats on the bike! I don't know much at all about them, but that sure looks fun!

And...I think that's a full-fledged punch!

OK. Based upon your endorsement, I've now added it to my signature line!

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    I don't know if those were even sold here. In my 90s dream garage, I'd have one anyway. 1998 price was probably 300K.

About 80,000 BP I would think, in the UK, for something spectacular. Not here, though.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Michaell said:

ab348 said:

Michaell said:

Wife commented that she likes the luxury features that the SE lacks - have to compare the features from the SE and SEL, plus any available options or packages.

Overall, it was a nice package - a size up from the Jetta, but one that would work for the wife and I for road trips.

Odd thing with the model ranges on the Passat. I looked at VW Canada's site yesterday and here there are no SE or SEL models. Here they have Trendline+, Comfortline, and Highline models from cheapest to most expensive. There is a $4-$5K Cdn delta between each step up.
    Here in the US, there is an S, SE, SE with Tech and SEL - all with the 1.8T

There are a couple of trim levels with the 3.6L V6, but those don't interest me.
    What happened to the "R-Line" Passat's?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Pretty sure you could score a Z8 for about $110-$125K when they were new. Around here, they didn't sell very well. I saw Peter Frampton at my local dealership, scoping out a new one that was a model year old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think the Alpina version was more money, and it brings a higher price today.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Saw a 2 year-old McLaren with accident damage for sale at about $35K. The damage looked "moderate" at worst on the front right corner; certainly fared better than what happened to my S4 that took about $20K to fix. I might almost say the accident looked like "light" damage, but, owner reports a bunch of idiot lights are on and the car is only drive-able in "limp" mode..... claims damages have not been estimated for repair.

Not a purchase for the faint of heart? Only makes sense if the owner is someone that doesn't have time to deal with life (but has the money to forget about this car).

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,988
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

ab348 said:

Michaell said:

Wife commented that she likes the luxury features that the SE lacks - have to compare the features from the SE and SEL, plus any available options or packages.

Overall, it was a nice package - a size up from the Jetta, but one that would work for the wife and I for road trips.

Odd thing with the model ranges on the Passat. I looked at VW Canada's site yesterday and here there are no SE or SEL models. Here they have Trendline+, Comfortline, and Highline models from cheapest to most expensive. There is a $4-$5K Cdn delta between each step up.
    Here in the US, there is an S, SE, SE with Tech and SEL - all with the 1.8T

There are a couple of trim levels with the 3.6L V6, but those don't interest me.
    What happened to the "R-Line" Passat's?
    Sorry, missed that one ... R-Line is still available

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    This was parked next to the used GTI I test drove last week. Chose not to drive it, but it looked to be in nice condition. Just had another price reduction down to below $10k.

I'd probably be a bit scared to own one at this point, but I do like it.

Mazda RX-8

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @nyccarguy have you ever changed the trans flewide should be doing that every 50k cullent break system service. if awd make shore the change the flewid in the rear dif to when they are changing it in the rest of the trans. o if not elexrick power stearing do the power stearing service to as whell. hope this does help. going to the auto show on Friday took the day off. cant wate to go. and sit in pretty much everything except for the lugery cars lol lol. nothing big did come out this year bit disappointed.
    like to if keeping an car long tirme 4 years or 50k miles change all flewids. going to have my brother do it on his Altima has under 30k but he baught it last year yoused and wants to keep it long tirme does not leesing or changing cars offen at all. his is an 2013 Altima. mom might bye the next car no mor leese we shal see what ends up going on with her next car afcorse will keep you all up to date when the time does come. dad is the same way keeps the car till the wheels fole off. but dad does not mantane it the way he should. just changes the oial.
    breld said:

This was parked next to the used GTI I test drove last week. Chose not to drive it, but it looked to be in nice condition. Just had another price reduction down to below $10k.

Mazda RX-8

That's a good year 2011---improved model with better oil injection and other fault corrections----still, it's risky.

They are very hard to find, especially these later ones, so if you're inchin', you may not see another for a long, long time.

You should go drive it--it's quite something.

If it were near me and not in black, I'd be on it, I would.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited April 2017
    The timing (pun,oops) to your question is spot on as I am in the process getting prices to replace the timing belt on our Pilot. We are at 97k. According to the Honda dealer the timing belt replacement is scheduled at 105k. The prices I've received from local Honda dealers has been $800-1100. I haven't used an independent shop but think I will research and get some prices. I was thinking the job should around $600-$700.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    edited April 2017
    I'd consider doing the tensioner as well "while you're in there." The tensioner in my dad's Beetle TDI locked up shortly after the dealer changed the belt (only) per VW's maintenance schedule.
    @corvette yes def should be done whail in there to. along with the water pump my moto is do it rite and only once.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    corvette said:

I'd consider doing the tensioner as well "while you're in there." The tensioner in my dad's Beetle TDI locked up shortly after the dealer changed the belt (only) per VW's maintenance schedule.

Good suggestion. The quotes I got was to replace the water pump, cooling system flush, timing belt, tensioner and new serpentine belt.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

breld said:

Mazda RX-8

That's a good year 2011---improved model with better oil injection and other fault corrections----still, it's risky.

They are very hard to find, especially these later ones, so if you're inchin', you may not see another for a long, long time.

@breld.....I agree with Shifty. I had one of the first RX8s ('04) out in my area (maybe anywhere east of the Mississippi). They're a little fussy, but an absolute blast to drive. 9K redline and the Renesis motor sounds like a a million angry wasps as it gets in the upper rev range. But, it loves to rev. Handles great (probably the best handling car I've ever driven) without punishing you with a harsh ride. Light on its feet.

It'll burn a little oil (a qt every 3,000 miles, or so), but it's supposed to.

I think they fixed the seals on the later ones (like this one). The earlier ones had leaky seals, which caused all sorts of untoward behavior.

For that kind of money, you won't find a more fun car to drive, however.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    sda said:

corvette said:

Good suggestion. The quotes I got was to replace the water pump, cooling system flush, timing belt, tensioner and new serpentine belt.
    I've never done a cooling system "flush," just a drain and fill. I know it leaves some of the "old" coolant in the system, but I think the dealers have those coolant flush machines so they can charge you a lot for the service.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

breld said:

Mazda RX-8

@breld.....I agree with Shifty. I had one of the first RX8s ('04) out in my area (maybe anywhere east of the Mississippi). They're a little fussy, but an absolute blast to drive. 9K redline and the Renesis motor sounds like a a million angry wasps as it gets in the upper rev range. But, it loves to rev. Handles great (probably the best handling car I've ever driven) without punishing you with a harsh ride. Light on its feet.

I think they fixed the seals on the later ones (like this one). The earlier ones had leaky seals, which caused all sorts of untoward behavior.

Man - you and Shifty are making me have some second thoughts on whether I should've "tried out" the RX-8, given its price! :)

I did test drive one back in the day, back to back with the 370z, and I did indeed prefer the Mazda.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Considering a punch for Mrs.Carnaught. On a trade, what do you CCBA gurus think a 2015 Accord Hybrid Touring would be worth? No accidents and perfect exterior and interior, with 16700 miles. Would appreciate any educated opinions.
    breld said:

breld said:

Mazda RX-8

Man - you and Shifty are making me have some second thoughts on whether I should've "tried out" the RX-8, given its price! :)

I did test drive one back in the day, back to back with the 370z, and I did indeed prefer the Mazda.
    You have to love to shift though. That engine has very little torque.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    OK - here is a wild idea.

What about a 2012-2013 BMW 550i xDrive, but picking it up used from CarMax with their extended warranty that I've heard so much about? The car itself would be more expensive but the cheaper (and apparently excellent) warranty would go a long way to offsetting.

It is basically the only scenario in which I'd own one of these cars and they're on my bucket list.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

What about a 2012-2013 BMW 550i xDrive, but picking it up used from CarMax with their extended warranty that I've heard so much about? The car itself would be more expensive but the cheaper (and apparently excellent) warranty would go a long way to offsetting.

It is basically the only scenario in which I'd own one of these cars and they're on my bucket list.

I've heard good things about the CarMax warranty. But, they are pricey.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I now see the effects of legalized, recreational marijuana
     B) 

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

breld said:

breld said:

Mazda RX-8

You have to love to shift though. That engine has very little torque.
    Yeah...but it's a sweet gear shifter and a light clutch. High revs are where the fun is in an RX8.
    carnaught said:

Considering a punch for Mrs.Carnaught. On a trade, what do you CCBA gurus think a 2015 Accord Hybrid Touring would be worth? No accidents and perfect exterior and interior, with 16700 miles. Would appreciate any educated opinions.

Hondas hold their value so well....2 model years old. I think list on those were about what? $34K?

trade in......$26K?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    edited April 2017
    nyccarguy said:

I now see the effects of legalized, recreational marijuana
     B) 

I'm not sure what time it is in Washington, but it's 4:20 in @28firefighter 's world!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    @nyccarguy that is rite only nead to do an drane and fill on cullent same with trans or any other system on the car. those flushes are not good at all and have alwas bin bad just like you said way for the dealer to profet bigtime.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

carnaught said:

What state do you live in and what is the color combo?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Temporarily, of course. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

Temporarily, of course. ;)

Aren't they all...aren't they all. :p

Be interesting to see the GTI and Clubman side by side, to do a size comparison.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited April 2017
    qbrozen said:

carnaught said:

AZ. White on beige. Original MSRP was $36k+

Thanks to you and GG.

Michaell said:

Be interesting to see the GTI and Clubman side by side, to do a size comparison.

I can arrange that.

breld said:

Just like any other white GTI, but this one is in my garage!  

@breld, nice! What's next?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

carnaught said:

carnaught said:

Thanks to you and GG.

GG may forget that the hybrids just don't hang in there like the non-hybrids. $21-$21.5k trade.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

carnaught said:

Thanks! What's next? I suppose the other choices that I didn't get this time around - Miata RF, Civic Si, etc. :)

Looking sharp @breld!  I like the White GTI!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    breld said:

carnaught said:

Thanks! What's next? I suppose the other choices that I didn't get this time around - Miata RF, Civic Si, etc. :)
    I'm starting to see that GTI in my garage..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I'm starting to see that GTI in my garage..

Give it a few months.  It'll be available. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Congrats @breld!! My car's younger and faster sibling. 
    And OK OK on the Carmax idea. Maybe I've been exploring the outer realm of reasonability. That experience did not involve any mind altering/expanding substances, either, which of course just makes me crazy. 
    @breld nice nice congrads on the new car. like others have bin saying whats next! lol lol injoy your new ride. have an good upcumming day all. will be back on later on.
    qbrozen said:

carnaught said:

qbrozen said:

carnaught said:

Thanks to you and GG.

GG may forget that the hybrids just don't hang in there like the non-hybrids. $21-$21.5k trade.

Q...thanks. Didn't realize hybrids took a bigger resale hit. Learn something new every day.
    edited April 2017

qbrozen said:

carnaught said:

qbrozen said:

carnaught said:

Thanks to you and GG.

Q...thanks. Didn't realize hybrids took a bigger resale hit. Learn something new every day.

Edmunds says a tick over $22,400. Not sure about low mileage hybrids takng more of a hit. The Accord Hybrid has more power than the 4 cylinder Accords, and with rising gas prices these days, mid to upper 40's mpg with regular fuel ain't too shabby. Makes me think twice about trading, actually, although I have responsibilities being a card-carrying member of CCBA ;).