Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    As of tomorrow, I will have owned my Infiniti for an entire month.  I love the car.  I'm very happy with the punch.  It's a fantastic daily driver.  My Q40 is very fast, sounds great, rides smooth and solid.  

The passing power is incredible.  A quick stab of the throttle gets the transmission to downshift and I can pass most left lane campers (when it is safe to do so) at will.  No more waiting for other cars to go by because the Legacy just didn't have enough guts.

Merging into traffic is a breeze.  There is one on ramp in particular that used to give me lots of trouble In the Legacy.  There is an uphill, right hairpin turn before you merge into he highway which is also an uphill grade.  I saw a car in the right lane as I was coming up the hill, straightened out the wheel, put my left blinker on, and pushed down on the gas.  I go from right, into the left and take off with no problems.  In the Legacy I'd get stuck behind the slow roller in the right lane and then would have gotten stuck behind 3 tractor trailer at the toll booth.

I have found 2 things that bother me about the Q40.  1 can be fixed and the other is a design flaw.  The left rear door lock actuator squeals whenever all the doors unlock at the same time.  I've had this problem with my Acura and even in my Prelude.  I'll bring it up when I take the car in for its 1st oil change.  They'll lubricate the actuator which will solve the problem for about a week.  Then I'll have to bring it in again for them to replace the actuator.  Not a big deal at all.  Just a minor annoyance.

The major design flaw is how the water drains off the car.  Open the trunk in the rain and a lot of water drops down into the trunk.  I also noticed when I open the doors, no matter how quickly you close the door, the interior gets wet.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    That's not a flaw. It's a "feature".

@roadburner Congrats to your wife on the MINI!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    edited April 2017
    roadburner - Congratulations on the Mini
    - Ray
    Daughter had a Mini served her well...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Congrats on the new purchase!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Okay, put me down for a punch- the X3 is going on the block and is being replaced by a 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman. We know the owners and the car was serviced at my BMW indie shop so Mrs. RB will finally get the Mini she's always wanted. This isn't our car but it's the same color and sports the same wheels:

Looks real nice. Have fun and congrats.!

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    nyccarguy said:

As of tomorrow, I will have owned my Infiniti for an entire month.  I love the car.  I'm very happy with the punch.  It's a fantastic daily driver.  My Q40 is very fast, sounds great, rides smooth and solid.  

The passing power is incredible.  A quick stab of the throttle gets the transmission to downshift and I can pass most left lane campers (when it is safe to do so) at will.  No more waiting for other cars to go by because the Legacy just didn't have enough guts.

Merging into traffic is a breeze.  There is one on ramp in particular that used to give me lots of trouble In the Legacy.  There is an uphill, right hairpin turn before you merge into he highway which is also an uphill grade.  I saw a car in the right lane as I was coming up the hill, straightened out the wheel, put my left blinker on, and pushed down on the gas.  I go from right, into the left and take off with no problems.  In the Legacy I'd get stuck behind the slow roller in the right lane and then would have gotten stuck behind 3 tractor trailer at the toll booth.

I have found 2 things that bother me about the Q40.  1 can be fixed and the other is a design flaw.  The left rear door lock actuator squeals whenever all the doors unlock at the same time.  I've had this problem with my Acura and even in my Prelude.  I'll bring it up when I take the car in for its 1st oil change.  They'll lubricate the actuator which will solve the problem for about a week.  Then I'll have to bring it in again for them to replace the actuator.  Not a big deal at all.  Just a minor annoyance.

The major design flaw is how the water drains off the car.  Open the trunk in the rain and a lot of water drops down into the trunk.  I also noticed when I open the doors, no matter how quickly you close the door, the interior gets wet.

I have to say, I have noticed lost opportunities to merge or pass that I didn't attempt in the Kia that would have been safely doable in the Audi. The Kia can move, but it has to wind up a bit, and the transmission can take a bit to downshift at times so it's not as instantaneously fast as it should be.

Fast acceleration, similar to fast braking can quickly get you out of a sticky situation out on the highway.

It is also nice for those left lane campers that like to race you up to the next slow moving in the right lane vehicle to prevent your pass.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited April 2017
    I usually go for a "fast-pass" by spooling up the supercharger first and then slamming it...only problem is that the Mini does have some nasty torque steer when you do that if your wheels aren't perfectly straight.

I usually go for a "fast-pass" by spooling up the supercharger first and then slamming it...only problem is that the Mini does have some nasty torque steer when you do that if your wheels aren't perfectly straight.

I do the same thing with the Prelude. Except I spool up the entire engine, lurk in 3rd gear, then bury the gas pedal. Good night. Thank-you for coming. Don't forget to tip your server.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yep, same idea--you are "getting it high on the cam" and I am "getting it high on the boost".

My attitude is that the opposing lane pass is an extremely dangerous place to be--so the less time in it, the better. Nothing drives me into a wheel pounding rage more than being the 2nd in line to pass with the first passer just dawdling in the passing lane, hanging you out to dry. This happens a lot on "passing lane ahead" situations where you have maybe .5 to 1.0 mile to make the pass and get back into single land.
    The Infiniti kicks you in the rear and GOES!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Notice when I have the shifter in "S", just hit the accelerator and damn, I'm seriously moving without any of that lag I get when just in "D". Absolutely am enjoying the drive more since y'all keyed me into doing this. Notice I use it the most when trying to get onto I-75 or on the Sawgrass Expressway. I just want to get 'er going and this certainly does the trick!
    Did notice on the Range Rover the other day that the windows are a bit tighter than many other vehicles out there. Wasn't an issue for me but can see where some might have an issue with this. Loved the vehicle though a bit on the pricey side. But want a vehicle with the same driving dynamics whatever those might be. Will leave it to the folks in here to give me suggestions when the time comes. Size wise, the Mini Cooper is right in my sweet spot and hopefully the new ones have tamed the ride so as to not to be as harsh as folks tell me.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    As if I don't generate enough of my own buying experiences, I'm getting to live a bit vicariously through my boss.

He is driving a 2003 525i that he's had since new and is now finally ready to move onto a new car. He was pretty high on an A7, but more recently decided he'd like an SUV. After taking a look at the Cayenne and X5, he has settled on the new Q7.

So he asked me for pricing advice and then pretty much allowed me to be sort of a broker for him. I reached out to a couple salespeople I've dealt with recently and am close to getting a deal for him on a new black on black Q7. And as if that's not enough darkness, it also has the Black Optic package!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Sandy, consider a Q3. Sounds like what you want. Basically a tall golf with more goodies and he bigger motor.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yep, same idea--you are "getting it high on the cam" and I am "getting it high on the boost".

My attitude is that the opposing lane pass is an extremely dangerous place to be--so the less time in it, the better. Nothing drives me into a wheel pounding rage more than being the 2nd in line to pass with the first passer just dawdling in the passing lane, hanging you out to dry. This happens a lot on "passing lane ahead" situations where you have maybe .5 to 1.0 mile to make the pass and get back into single land.

A left lane camper in a "passing lane ahead" zone should be a capital offense and punishment.

Even worse than slow pass that gives no consideration to those behind is the left lane camper who isn't passing at all.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    Some of you might remember that I posted a couple of months back about buying a car for my parents. The new one will replace their dearly departed 06 Armada LE.

I have been a big Lexus RX300 kick lately. They have pretty good consumer reviews, and seem to last well into the high 200-300k range. I also like the standard safety features, especially the 2001+ with VSC.

Anyone in here had experience with them? Anything I should be looking for?

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    @roadburner Congrats! 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    breld said:

Couple fun things - we're getting the windows tinted on all three vehicles today. Very excited about it - I know opinions differ on the matter, but I think the cars look a bit incomplete without tinted windows. I'm particularly anxious to see the GTI - love white cars with the dark windows.

Also, drove all around the metro Denver area this weekend with both boys' baseball games. On Saturday, one kid was playing north of the Denver area and the other was south - about 70 miles apart! Anyhow, the Durango's trip computer showed about 21 mpg for about 455 miles (some of that was before the weekend). I'm pleased and happy that I didn't let the MPG penalty sway me from going with the R/T. Not that it's great, but it's hardly worse than the V6.

I'd never have a car without tinted windows, even if I didn't live in Texas. Agree 100% with your comment that cars don't look complete without them.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

nyccarguy said:

Yeah.. the whole "floor it until the pass is complete" thing usually results in triple digits with the Infiniti.
    The roads in Northwest Ohio are really flat, and you can see a long way. Sometimes, I'd pull out, just trying to pickoff a car or two in a line of five or six in front of me, and once I got out there, just keep going, as long as the path remains clear. But, you really have to watch it. It's weird to be in a passing maneuver on a 2-lane road, and not flooring it... But, really 90-95 is plenty fast enough. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    stickguy said:

Sandy, consider a Q3. Sounds like what you want. Basically a tall golf with more goodies and he bigger motor.

I just read a really scathing review of the Q3 recently, can't remember where. I seem to recall "poor value" and "rough ride" complaints.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    I went into the office this morning. Took the toll road, which has an uphill entrance ramp. Was 4th in line - we were all doing 80+ by the time we got to the merge lane.

Also, had a bit of fun with the Jetta last week - from a stoplight, I left footed the brake pedal and feathered the gas to get the boost going. Light turned green and - whoosh - I was gone.

I never realized how much fun 150 HP and 184 torques could be.

@nyccarguy - I didn't realize you had the rare 4-door option on your Prelude:

The left rear door lock actuator squeals whenever all the doors unlock at the same time.  I've had this problem with my Acura and even in my Prelude.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

I just read a really scathing review of the Q3 recently, can't remember where. I seem to recall "poor value" and "rough ride" complaints.
    American's love obsession with SUV's means if the model has a Q in front of it they can charge 25% more without making any other changes (since it is now widely known Q model Audi's are SUV's.

In my opinion, the Allroad is an overpriced lifted A4 Avant, but of course, you can't get an A4 Avant in the US anymore, so overpriced compared to what? Most Americans probably don't realize which models we are missing out on in the US.
    edited April 2017
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

Yeah.. the whole "floor it until the pass is complete" thing usually results in triple digits with the Infiniti.
    The roads in Northwest Ohio are really flat, and you can see a long way. Sometimes, I'd pull out, just trying to pickoff a car or two in a line of five or six in front of me, and once I got out there, just keep going, as long as the path remains clear. But, you really have to watch it. It's weird to be in a passing maneuver on a 2-lane road, and not flooring it... But, really 90-95 is plenty fast enough. :)
    Well, I had the opportunity to test 100 MPH cruise control in an undisclosed Audi at an undisclosed location in the State of Nevada (private road or Mexico instead of Nevada if law enforcement reads this). I was able to maintain the speed for quite some time, and was averaging about 27 MPG with the aerodynamics and super tall high 7th gear helping along.
    The Prelude Crew Cab, no doubt. :p Rare JDM model.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Yep. have always had the Q3 in the back of my mind to be honest. Exactly the size I like and a bit off the ground. Having the dealer as close as it is, I could walk to it as it's about 2 miles from the house, is also a bonus. And if I did the cpo route, could work also. But must admit, the Mini Cooper is my 1st choice at this juncture...not making any kind of move for another couple of years though!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Bradd....happy to hear the Q40 is treating you well. One thing thing these Infinitis are is fast. Just started getting on the 3.0TT since breakin is over. Quick and torquey to 3.5K RPMs. Above that, and the scenery blues quickly as you get pinned into your seat.

Fun cars!

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    mjfloyd1 said:

Loaded up on the trailer and heading home!

That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    edited April 2017
    Passing is a strong point for the Volvo. Although the tranny "only" has six gears, 354 lb-ft of torque works as a great equalizer. I forget that there is sport mode most of the time.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited April 2017

That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!

That is about the most succinct way to put it.... ! Congrats on the purchase, @mjfloyd1 !
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @nyccarguy glad you like your car a lot. commen thing with the driver side rear dor locks on Nissan to my moms maxima does it to.
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @breld nice SUV your bause is getting. would get an different color combo but to each his one! get what you want and like.
    Just to clarify for the peanut gallery, it was the passenger side door lock actutor that I had replaced on my Prelude (which I will have owned for 15 years as of tomorrow)

@kyfdx - I've learned to let up when I'm almost done with the pass as opposed to waiting until the pass is done.  Im very conscious of my speed in the Q.

The 328 hp is definitely more than enough, but I'm definitely far from king of the road around here.  The other day I slowed down and moved over so a guy in a 911 GT3 could blast by me.

Funny, I spent two blocks behind a guy in a 911 Turbo S convertible today.. Obviously texting. Too bad those come in automatic, or he may have had to actually drive it.

Eventually, I blew by him in my Ford F-150 (okay, not mine, but I was driving it)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

Well, I had the opportunity to test 100 MPH cruise control in an undisclosed Audi at an undisclosed location in the State of Nevada (private road or Mexico instead of Nevada if law enforcement reads this). I was able to maintain the speed for quite some time, and was averaging about 27 MPG with the aerodynamics and super tall high 7th gear helping along.
    I worked late tonight and wound up on a 3-lane highway with guardrails on both sides and nobody around in my EX35, so I put my foot in it. Before I began, the remaining range in the tank was 45 miles. After 100-115mph for the distance of about 2 miles, the remaining distance dropped to 25 miles. Yikes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Ah, the old exponential speed vs. HP trick. The faster you go, the power you need to get there does not rise linearly.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited April 2017
    New punch to report. Mrs. C's Hybrid Accord is gone. Details at 11...

edited April 2017

Bradd....happy to hear the Q40 is treating you well. One thing thing these Infinitis are is fast. Just started getting on the 3.0TT since breakin is over. Quick and torquey to 3.5K RPMs. Above that, and the scenery blues quickly as you get pinned into your seat.

Fun cars!

Did you get the 3.0 with 300 HP or the red-line or is it red-sport with 400 HP? I visited an Infinity dealer today. I fit in the Q50S 4-door, I don't fit in the Q60S coupe. Both have moon roofs, and less head room than I'd like, but the sedan is livable; wheres the coupe is built for people under 6'.

Same with the Lexus RC 350 Coupe. Way too low of a roof. The IS350 might be livable, but it is still low and for both Lexus and Infinity, it seems the seats are rather narrow with large and wide center consoles (more wide and large in the Lexus).

I wasn't a huge fan of the Infinity blue, but it does look nice. The red coupe was cool; I don't think that is the same red they give the sedan.

I do like the availability of non-black interiors, even in the red-sport line equipped twin turbo cars. Interior fit/finish/materials are improved from 2013 in a good way. Although I've never felt a leather as soft as that perforated leather in the Lexus 350 RC. Very nice; IS is the same.

I'm still upset that Infinity still puts a piece of loose-ill fitting fabric wrapped cardboard box cut out as a moon roof cover! really need to find a moon roof delete option for multiple reasons. :open_mouth: However, 400 HP could make a person forget and forgive other shortcomings; like 20/26 MPG.
    The Jetta sits in my driveway with exactly 4000 miles on the odometer.

According to my worksheet, I am allowed to have 8220 miles after 250 days.

At this rate, I'll have less than 18,000 miles on the car at the end of the lease - assuming I keep it that long. :smile:

As I noted yesterday, I'm having a blast driving this car. The grey paint makes it somewhat stealthy, and allows me to zip around town unnoticed.

Wonder if adding any suspension parts would firm up the handling?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Like I said yesterday: just when you think you are cool with a 328hp V6, I moved over this AM to make way for a HELLCAT Charger.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Michael, you can pretty much bolt a GTI underneath. So plenty of performance parts. But why bother on a lease?

My sonata has 6 months and 10 days left. I'm at about 15,400 miles. So pretty sure I end up below 36k!

The Jetta is going to hit 16k at 22 months, thanks to daughter road tripping to NC. Will get lots of miles this summer (she is doing a 10 week internship with a 90 mile daily RT commute) so that one will be pushing the limit at the end. Though I'll have her take my car at least once a week to spread out the miles and exercise!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Michael, you can pretty much bolt a GTI underneath. So plenty of performance parts. But why bother on a lease?

My sonata has 6 months and 10 days left. I'm at about 15,400 miles. So pretty sure I end up below 36k!

The Jetta is going to hit 16k at 22 months, thanks to daughter road tripping to NC. Will get lots of miles this summer (she is doing a 10 week internship with a 90 mile daily RT commute) so that one will be pushing the limit at the end. Though I'll have her take my car at least once a week to spread out the miles and exercise!

Yeah, I know. I dropped some $$ on the exhaust tips already. To me, the car handles fine; just wondering if I could improve it.

Though, living in the 'burbs, with nothing but arterial roads, will I really get the chance to use it?

The things you think of late at night.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

So today I've owned my Prelude for 15 years. The weather here is crummy, so I left it at home. Today is my 1 month ownership anniversary with the Infiniti. I've driven it 1,756 miles (before I left this AM), averaging 19.37 mpg over 6 fill ups ($242.35 total).

Tomorrow is my 7th anniversary with the BMW. Bought it with 40K miles, now has 107K. Longest that I've owned one vehicle, but not the most miles (put 106K on a new '02 CR-V).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    mjfloyd1 said:

Loaded up on the trailer and heading home!

That is a great looking car. Congrats. My father-in-law has a '67 convertible same color as yours with a blue interior. I think you had posted an interior pic awhile back and yours looks to be a shade or two darker; his is a lighter blue. His car has the optional headrests, that after some research he realized only a small percentage of Corvettes were so equipped (I want to say 5-10% but I'm guessing). My father-in-law is a hot rod, former drag racer, etc so he has put a different engine and transmission in. When he bought the car it wasn't numbers matching anyway so had some fun with it.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

@andres3.....I have the plain 'ole 3.0TT, not the Red Line. When I test drove the 3.0TT, I felt it was under rated. I know the Red Line isn't just a "re-tune" to get to 400HP. And, the dealer offered to let me test drive one. But, having been more than happy with the one I was testing, I declined his offer (because I know how seductive that would have been).

I was trying to stick to my "$40K or under" after tying up so much money on the Caddy CTS lemons. I was in the proverbial right place at the right time. Mine was a '16 leftover with the right options and a color I liked. I made an offer of $10K off MSRP (~$38K). I couldn't have made that deal on a 2017. And, '17s were the only Red LIne's they had.

Coupes are really sharp, and you're right. The red on my Q50 is different than the red on the Q60 coupe.

To me, the Q60 coupes are stunning in person. Their interiors are the same as mine. But, they really did a nice job on the exterior styling.

The times I went to the Infiniti showroom, you could tell how much the Q60 appealed. The only people who were milling around the 3.0TT or the Red Line coupes were people who knew what they were. Most of the folks didn't care what drivetrain it had, however. The 20.T (the engine Infiniti made for Mercedes) was the same good looking package at a lower price point, and that's what people really liked about them.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited April 2017

Okay, put me down for a punch-

Roadburner--nice looking Mini. Not showy or in-your-face like a few are. I like it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    The Infiniti/MB partnership (IIRC, MB design built by Infiniti/Nissan) is a weird thing to me, unlikely pair. But I guess Toyota is too close a competitor with Lexus.