Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    The land rover I rented had the big knob. I did not care for it. Partly because it was already confusing, being on the wrong side of the car, and I could not use that shifter just by feel. A nice PRNDL lever still works for me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    My Fusion has the hockey puck rotary shift. I kind of like it.
    It also has paddle shifters, if I want to use them and that push/pull parking brake in the center console.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987

@graphicguy,
    Nice car!
    How do you like the start/stop? Do you use it?

Explorer....was just talking about this the other day. Apparently the normal PRND shifter is no longer good enough (said sarcastically). BMW and Cadillac have moved to the "beer tap" shifter that isn't all that intuitive at first.

Mercedes has long used the "stalk shifter" to the left of the steering column that is a bit unusual.

Jag and Chrysler are using the "twister knob" to engage the their transmissions. Lincoln is using buttons, like Acura is moving to.

Personal opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, these new shifters seem to be a permanent trend.

In brief, I keep reaching for some sort of lever to shift the transmission. Eventually, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Not quite there yet during the first 24 hours of ownership.

The good news, I can operate it by feel. Park is rectangular at the very top of the button stack. Reverse is a tab you pull backwards to engage reverse. Drive is a big round button. Neutral is another button, and I'm not sure why people need to use neutral anymore to even use it.

Parking brake is a pull up (for engaging) and push down (to disengage). So much for the pull level or (god forbid) the floor pedal to engage the parking brake.

Transmission shifts very quickly and smoothly. It doesn't hesitate or hunt. The one time I used the paddle shifters, they worked positively and quickly. No complaints except I wish the paddle shifters were bigger.
    Great car. I love the red interior, wait, the whole car! I want one! Enjoy. How cool to have a '98 and '18, 20 year difference and character.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @tjc78 - unfortunately, when "times are good," a dependable, excellent, contractor is tough to find.  Especially during the spring which is typically their "busy season."  People have tax return money, their homes have increased in value so they can get a nice rate on a HELOC, or they want to make improvements in their home to sell it to downsize (or move up).  I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't want to sell their house because a new one with what they want in it will cost so much more in a hot market, so they renovate.

Keep asking friends, neighbors, & co-workers for reccomendations.  When the timing is right, you'll find the right contractor.  I met a painter at a Chipolte one day last summer.  I ended up hiring him to paint the outside of my house, then refinish my entire basement this past winter after it flooded.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    GG said Neutral is another button, and I'm not sure why people need to use neutral anymore to even use it.

I needed neutral in my Fusion rental car when it stalled out going up a hill....on a 2 lane road. The only way I could get it off to the side of the road was to put it in neutral and then let it back down the hill and over to the guardrail.....couldn't have done it without neutral.

I am wondering whether you really have to look at those buttons or not...does the brain know square is park and round is drive without looking where your hand is. I remember the round knob in the Chryco 300 needed to be watched....hard to tell where it is pointing unless you actually look.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Mike.....saw pictures of the flooding in South Florida......9000 homes without electricity. Is your car high and dry? Hope the rain ends soon....that can't be very nice....saw pictures with cars in water up to the top of the tires :@

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Neutral is also necessary for the old-style pull-along car washes, assuming any of them are left.

The Caddy XT5 loaner I had a few months back had the electronic beer tap shifter and I hated it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

I got this email about a look to the future. Just some of the highlights;

Most car companies will probably become bankrupt . Traditional car companies try the evolutionary approach and just build a better car, while tech companies ( Tesla, Apple, Google ) will do the revolutionary approach and build a computer on wheels . Many engineers from Volkswagen and Audi; are completely terrified of Tesla .
    Insurance companies will have massive trouble because without accidents, the insurance will become 100x cheaper . Their car insurance business model will disappear.

Health: The Tricorder X price will be announced this year. There are companies who will build a medical device (called the " Tricorder " from Star Trek) that works with your phone, which takes your retina scan, your blood sample and you breathe into it. It then analyses 54 bio-markers that will identify nearly any disease . It will be cheap, so in a few years everyone on this planet will have access to world class medical analysis, nearly for free Goodbye, medical establishment

Business opportunities : If you think of a niche you want to go in, first ask yourself: "In the future, do I think we will have that?" and if the answer is yes, how can you make that happen sooner?

If it doesn't work with your phone, forget the idea. And any idea designed for success in the 20 th century is doomed to failure in the 21 st century.

Work : 70-80 % of jobs will disappear in the next 20 years. There will be a lot of new jobs, but it is not clear if there will be enough new jobs in such a short time. This will require a rethink on wealth distribution.

There is more, but those are some of the big changes to think about.........

Any mention of the fabled flying car ??
    Futurists are just about always wrong. The Germans terrified of Tesla? I don't *think* so! Gee a phone that sucks your blood---I already have one of those! :p
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Live just 5 miles north/2 miles west of Mike and it's pouring here. Got soaked at work yesterday and today and yay, off the next 2 days as more rain is coming. Power all good here and hope it stays that way. Think our drought is finally over and just wonder how the hurricane season is going to pan out. Told my wife and one daughter, if one comes here, I am getting in my car and fleeing up to Chicago. Forget work, forget everything else. I will not go through another Wilma like storm in my life ever again. The stress I think would kill me, or would leave me in a very dark place. Think my family is finally getting it, I will do whatever my mental health dictates!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2017

driver100 said:

Mike.....saw pictures of the flooding in South Florida......9000 homes without electricity. Is your car high and dry? Hope the rain ends soon....that can't be very nice....saw pictures with cars in water up to the top of the tires :@

Yep - it's the surface flooding and creeks and canals that are overflowing.  Where I live, we are OK, but even the Turnpike has reduced speeds now in spots.  I hear thunder and see lightning so I guess we're in for another round of torrential downpours.

It's all due to a stationary front in south Miami-Dade County near Homestead.  It's been stationary for 4 days now.  The amounts of rain are staggering - much like a hurricane but without the winds.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

All this talk of Acuras got me thinking upscale. Once you get close to $7500 is it really a hooptie any more?

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/6132918296.html

Farmer, nice car. I really like that model. IMO one of the best cars ever made. Low miles on that one too.
    I agree. There are a lot of Acura fans who believe that gen of TL was Acura's zenith.

Someone asked about the start/stop feature. Stopping you don't notice at all. Start you hear more than feel. Got used to it in the Cadillac. TLX isn't as noticeable as the CTS, which was a good implementation. Still, enjoyed not having it in the Q50.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Didn't those mid 2000 Acuras (and Honda) V6s have transmission woes? I know there was a recall on our Pilot for it and they had to install an extra oil jet over, I believe, the 2nd gear cog.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Sounds like for the first time in a little while you are really happy with your purchase.  The Infiniti was a
    more of a "need". This car is something you "wanted"

Good for you!!  I haven't bought a car I really wanted since 2012.  The Enclave is just a family hauler and the Elantra was a cheap deal just for a second car.   Heck I've had it since Nov and it only has 3500 miles.  

On another note, anyone here spec and build a large additonal/remodel recently?  

We are moving my mother in and are looking at a 15X25 addition along with two new baths, upstairs laundry and new HVAC.   It is a slow process.  We've had three guys out since before Memorial Day and no quotes yet.  Well first guy called after a week and said "about 78k". My wife was like, ok are you sending an itemized quote?  He said he would work on it. Odd as his reviews were excellent.  

Guy tonight was very good, but asked a lot of questions like "what is my house worth". I said that's irrelevant as I  know we are over improving and aren't going anywhere.   He said minimim st least 65-70 and will when a detailed proposal in 7-10 days.  Hoping for the best.  

Mom is getting a lot of activity on her house so we are hoping to start this by the end of the summer. 

hard to get people for a job that size. I only did more basic stuff (kitchen, baths) and thankfully had a local guy, but I doubt he would do a job that size.

and at those prices, it probably would be cheaper (and a hell of a lot easier!) to move instead.

• Options
    Sent you a PM through the site with a name.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I like the column shift in MBs. It's not a sports car, not really even pretending to be sporty, not a manual, why keep the shift lever on the console? It really opens up some space not having it down there. The buttons like in that Acura do the same thing, makes it more open.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Opens up space and with the lever in the MB and you don't even have to take your hand off the wheel. I don't even look because down is forward and up is reverse....or is it the other way around.....I know when I am driving but not if I have to think about it!

• Options
    karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    I have purchased or leased numerous vehicles over the past few years. Each came with a free Sirius/XM period. For each, I simply let the subscription terminate at the end of the free period. I refuse to call them and subject myself to the turmoil of having to deal with a person solely interested in selling and who refuses to cancel.

The last time I did this, after many frustrating minutes attempting to cancel, I just told them to cancel and hung up. Of course, immediately after Sirius began sending me a never ending stream of offers begging me to return.

I have a BMW free subscription ending in July and an Audi free subscription ending in August. I will not engage Sirius for either.

I will never again agree to anything where I must call to cancel.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2017
    I just watched a 2018 Acura TLX A-spec YouTube video. Good overall review but they were disappointed with the GPS map graphics and the integration of Google car play and Android auto which is not touch sensitive. The lack of a manual transmission, turbo charging and spare tire were considered demerits.

On the other hand they were pleased with all other aspects of the TLX as it is a premium level above Accord. The overall styling, performance, 9-speed transmission, body size, and dual visible exhaust were identified as noteworthy. They also liked the engine growl and overall sportiness.

• Options
    Spare tire is an option. At least it was for 2017. And no turbo is a plus, if the overall power and economy is good! Manual, well, no one buys this class of car with a stick anyway.

The only IMO legit complaint is the graphics stuff, maybe, but up to each buyer to decide. Same with styling.

• Options
    I had to go for an ultrasound this morning of my abdomen. I think I mentioned that the gastroenterologist I saw last Thursday said he felt something in my abdomen and wanted to get some ultrasound pictures of that area. I forgot what he thought it was but at this point, it is inconsequential. I'll know the results tomorrow sometime.

I'll tell you something - waking up every morning is just another day of pain and unknowns. I never know what is going to hurt or make me nauseous or fatigue me. I'm not giving up, by any means, but it can wear on a human being. I take so many medications that my kitchen cabinet (where I keep all my pills) looks more like a shelf in a pharmacy than a place to keep cups, saucers and plates.

I am getting my last delivery of Epclusa (the Hepatitis C anti-viral drug) sometime today from the specialty pharmacy in Miami. I take my 3rd blood test to check for the Hep C Virus next Friday when I get home from visiting my brother in Ponte Vedra. It's going to be good to get away and be with family for a change. I don't know what I would do without my brother! ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I was just reading an article about a new college attendee at Kentucky State who is the new place-kicker for the Kentucky Wildcats. The headline read, "Last Name of New Kicker Deceiving"! His name? Chance Poore! :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

Someone asked about the start/stop feature. Stopping you don't notice at all. Start you hear more than feel. Got used to it in the Cadillac. TLX isn't as noticeable as the CTS, which was a good implementation. Still, enjoyed not having it in the Q50.

I never notice it in the 2er; putting the car in Sport(car or transmission) disables it. Plus, there's also a switch to disable it permanently- it never defaults to "On."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735

How I can tell the days of Sat radio to be numbered. I had a cheap subscription in the Infiniti, as that's the only way I'll subscribe. And, that's only because of two channels....Bluesville and Beatles.

So, want to cancel on the Infiniti and add it to the TLX. They won't let you do it online, as you have to call them so they can upsell you.

Simple request....add the rest of my subscription from the Infiniti to the end of the trial period on the Acura. I went through 10 minutes of them trying to have me go to an annual contract (with me coming out of pocket) and having an XM receiver in my home (not interested).

Finally, after all of that, I told them..."just cancel the Infiniti subscription and refund the amount left". That got their attention, but they still tried to get me to buy something....anything. I eventually just had to keep repeating and talking over the customer service person..."cancel my subscription....cancel my subscription.....cancel my subscription".

What are the odds after all that they contact me in 90-days, after the trial is up, trying to do the same sales job?

Well, I canceled my subscriptions about a year ago and based on the non-stop email stalking I am wondering if I need a restraining order. My guess is you won't even get 10 days without them hounding you to come come back.

I am bracing for next year when the 1 year free expires on my truck...
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    What an impressive car! Love the color too.

I see you have the same electronic parking brake our new Civic has and I'm not sure why Honda/Acura went with these? I like the secure feel of yanking on the brake lever. If the impossible were to happen and all brake hydraulics were lost, I don't think that little button would stop the car.

Not necessarily a "bad" thing but to me anyway a "why" thing?
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited June 2017
    qbrozen said:

Didn't those mid 2000 Acuras (and Honda) V6s have transmission woes? I know there was a recall on our Pilot for it and they had to install an extra oil jet over, I believe, the 2nd gear cog.

I believe you're right - but then again, you could avoid that by getting a manual in that TL!
    https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/6130884735.html

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

I believe you're right - but then again, you could avoid that by getting a manual in that TL!
    That has 5x mileage than the one @oldfarmer50 found in FL.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

Again, pics don't do justice, but the trim is all brushed metal (aluminum?). Very sharp.
    Untitled

Getting in here late as usual.

That is a lotta red but it looks good on you. Good luck with it.

May I suggest one thing...a redhead for the passenger seat. :p

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    abacomike said:

Just had a flash flood warning issued for Northeast Broward County - where I live - over the emergency broadcast frequency.  8-10 inches of rain already today with 4-6 inches expected in the next 6-8 hours.  This is not fun.  Canals already overflowing and many road closures.

And I still haven't seen the sun since the middle of last week.

Yeah, that is a lot of rain all right. My Delray Beach SIL has been giving us an update the last few days.

As for not seeing the Sun, come to the Burgh, you'll see it about 20 days a year. How would you like that? Our Seattle poster buddies are probably in the same boat, so to speak.

My grass is growing as I watch it. When it dries out I have some cutting to do. :@

To keep this car related, everything grows well around here except good car deals. That's why I have to go out of state (last 3 cars) to get what I want and at the price I'm willing to pay.

jmonroe

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    edited June 2017

Driver...ain't gonna be many people that are going to go "red over red" on a TLX ASpec. So, feeling pretty unique in my choice. Not sure you'll see another any time soon. I like it that way.

Like driving the Cobra and winding it out in the first 3 gears....small children and dogs run scared as I bang into 2nd. I'm noticed!

I've got to get one of those cool exhaust systems on my Mustang. Yesterday on the highway a work colleague passed me in his Crossfire at a pretty good clip. He got about a half mile ahead before I decided to catch up. At maybe 3/4 throttle I was on him quick. I looked down and I was doing 100 for the first time. Car was so stable and quiet I didn't realize it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Live just 5 miles north/2 miles west of Mike and it's pouring here. Got soaked at work yesterday and today and yay, off the next 2 days as more rain is coming. Power all good here and hope it stays that way. Think our drought is finally over and just wonder how the hurricane season is going to pan out. Told my wife and one daughter, if one comes here, I am getting in my car and fleeing up to Chicago. Forget work, forget everything else. I will not go through another Wilma like storm in my life ever again. The stress I think would kill me, or would leave me in a very dark place. Think my family is finally getting it, I will do whatever my mental health dictates!

The Sandman :)B)

Sandy, I can't say I blame you for not wanting to stick around during a hurricane.

I visited my now departed Delray Beach brother about 2 months after Wilma came across the state of Florida in 2005 and walloped his community. Almost all of the common grounds Palm trees were replaced and being held in place by support posts until they took root. He had his pool enclosure torn off just like all the others around him. He said it still cost him moocho bucks to replace it after his insurance coverage left off. I think he said his insurance only covered about 60% of what it cost to replace it, given the replacement HAD to be more substantial to survive the same type of winds that Wilma produced. After Wilma, he had hurricane shutters installed which my SIL said she had to use just once since Wilma (last year I think) when a hurricane warning was given, but thankfully, a hurricane never materialized.

I'll never forget the sign I saw on an old farmers wagon while leaving the Boys Farmers Market on S Military Trail in Delray Beach...it simply read, THANKS WILMA. :@ :@

If I lived in Florida and a hurricane was eminent, being the wimp that I am, I don't know how far I'd go to get out of its path.

jmonroe

• Options
    Petroholic - that's a new word I learned today from a PBS news story. 

In Norway the government is on a big push to have all electric cars by 2020 (?). Those who resist the all electric initiative are called petroholics. 

Right now, Norway has the highest per capita electric car ownership. And drivers park for free in municipal parking lots as well as free toll roads. Not sure if electric charging is free but there are many and convenient chargers around town. 

The irony about all this is that Norway's economy is dependent on oil and gas production while  90% of its electricity is hydropower generated. As for the rest of us: we continue to be petroholics. 

• Options
    karhill1 said:

I have purchased or leased numerous vehicles over the past few years. Each came with a free Sirius/XM period. For each, I simply let the subscription terminate at the end of the free period. I refuse to call them and subject myself to the turmoil of having to deal with a person solely interested in selling and who refuses to cancel.

The last time I did this, after many frustrating minutes attempting to cancel, I just told them to cancel and hung up. Of course, immediately after Sirius began sending me a never ending stream of offers begging me to return.

I have a BMW free subscription ending in July and an Audi free subscription ending in August. I will not engage Sirius for either.

I will never again agree to anything where I must call to cancel.

I have had XM since '09 on my first Genny then Mrs. j's '12 Subie and now my '15 Genny. I have had to do the dance via a phone call each year at the time when the subscription lapses. I guess you can say I'm good at it now.

Only one time have I had to say NO to the up-sell more than once. Maybe there is a note on my account not to bother me with that stuff but in any case it is painless as far as I'm concerned. I have them send me a bill for an additional $2 because I don't give them my CC number.

I like XM and will put up with a phone call twice a year.

jmonroe

• Options
    abacomike said:

I was just reading an article about a new college attendee at Kentucky State who is the new place-kicker for the Kentucky Wildcats. The headline read, "Last Name of New Kicker Deceiving"! His name? Chance Poore! :D

Almost as bad as the recent ex Pitt place kicker who's name is Chris Blueit (probably not the correct spelling but you get the idea). :'(

jmonroe

• Options

Driver...ain't gonna be many people that are going to go "red over red" on a TLX ASpec. So, feeling pretty unique in my choice. Not sure you'll see another any time soon. I like it that way.

Like driving the Cobra and winding it out in the first 3 gears....small children and dogs run scared as I bang into 2nd. I'm noticed!

I've got to get one of those cool exhaust systems on my Mustang. Yesterday on the highway a work colleague passed me in his Crossfire at a pretty good clip. He got about a half mile ahead before I decided to catch up. At maybe 3/4 throttle I was on him quick. I looked down and I was doing 100 for the first time. Car was so stable and quiet I didn't realize it.

Now that you have had success breaking the ice, when are you going to do it again? B)

jmonroe

• Options

abacomike said:

I had to go for an ultrasound this morning of my abdomen. I think I mentioned that the gastroenterologist I saw last Thursday said he felt something in my abdomen and wanted to get some ultrasound pictures of that area. I forgot what he thought it was but at this point, it is inconsequential. I'll know the results tomorrow sometime.

I'll tell you something - waking up every morning is just another day of pain and unknowns. I never know what is going to hurt or make me nauseous or fatigue me. I'm not giving up, by any means, but it can wear on a human being. I take so many medications that my kitchen cabinet (where I keep all my pills) looks more like a shelf in a pharmacy than a place to keep cups, saucers and plates.

I am getting my last delivery of Epclusa (the Hepatitis C anti-viral drug) sometime today from the specialty pharmacy in Miami. I take my 3rd blood test to check for the Hep C Virus next Friday when I get home from visiting my brother in Ponte Vedra. It's going to be good to get away and be with family for a change. I don't know what I would do without my brother! ;)

Doctor felt a lump but no pain. That is a good sign as abdominal pain can be indicative of something more serious. For all that you've gone through it can't be that bad. 

Hang in there we are hoping nothing but the best for you. 
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Mike, hoping for a completely unremarkable ultrasound, and continued negative viral counts on your blood work.
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    carnaught said:

Mike, hoping for a completely unremarkable ultrasound, and continued negative viral counts on your blood work.

+1 Mike. You've been through enough.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    bwia said:

In Norway the government is on a big push to have all electric cars by 2020 (?). Those who resist the all electric initiative are called petroholics. 

Right now, Norway has the highest per capita electric car ownership. And drivers park for free in municipal parking lots as well as free toll roads. Not sure if electric charging is free but there are many and convenient chargers around town. 

The irony about all this is that Norway's economy is dependent on oil and gas production while  90% of its electricity is hydropower generated. As for the rest of us: we continue to be petroholics. 

As gas stations become extinct in big cities people will have to revert to electric cars. Vancouver has no gas stations downtown and Toronto only has about 2 left. Land is too valuable to be used for gas stations. I wonder about New York and Chicago.....gas stations may be disappearing there too.

• Options
    thebean said:

carnaught said:

+1 Mike. You've been through enough.
    +1 certainly agree!

• Options
    edited June 2017
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

Holy smokes 242k miles for only $2k less than that auto tranny version I posted with 56k miles? Given that kind of overall longevity you could afford to keep rebuilding the auto transmission and still make out.

Speaking of Acuras, where are they? I've spotted several Q50s since GG acquired one but today I was looking for Acuras and couldn't find any...ANYWHERE. I saw a few older TLs but no others, not even SUVs.

I saw many more Mitsus and Mustangs.

Strange since around here every other car is a Honda.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe said:

Now that you have had success breaking the ice, when are you going to do it again? B)

jmonroe

After I get a louder exhaust so I'll know I'm doing it. :p

• Options
    Why you should not post on CL after drinking. Funny looking Acura.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/6163264535.html

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    That is the State known for their Red-Light Scamera systems. Too bad it ended up being more profitable for the Private Corporations than for the Government. No sir, your State won't be able to ticket it's way to a balanced budget.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

breld said:

qbrozen said:

Holy smokes 242k miles for only $2k less than that auto tranny version I posted with 56k miles? Given that kind of overall longevity you could afford to keep rebuilding the auto transmission and still make out.

Speaking of Acuras, where are they? I've spotted several Q50s since GG acquired one but today I was loking for Acuras and couldn't find any...ANYWHERE. I saw a few older TLs but no others, not even SUVs.

I saw many more Mitsus and Mustangs.

Strange since around here every other car is a Honda.

Acura is struggling. Struggling bigly with cars, SUV's and @graphicguy alone are keeping them from shutting their doors. :smile: I've read good things about the A-Spec, which replaces the laughable "GT" trim the TLX had.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

bwia said:

The i3 Facebook group is a mixture of people like me who find the i3 interesting and fun(and own one or two gasoline engine performance cars) and the electric car zealots on their crusade to save the planet. 
    One member asked owners what they most disliked about the i3 and several said that they disliked being mistaken for eco-weenies. :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited June 2017
    Hybrids. I followed an IoniQ tonight. White. The large black maw at the bottom of the rear end did not look good. It was somewhat like the undercarriage of the Rendezvous by Buick that looked like it rode a little high. The IoniQ is better than the Prius but had an appearance of the large fake air intakes, a la Civic, or exhaust openings that are part of the rear "face." This IoniQ was white and the bottom plate is black. Makes it really stand out. Another color may be better.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

Not sure why, but the proportions of the photo are off. Trying to fix it.

Long and short of it, my son put it into perspective for me.

"Dad....you can do whatever you want. You've raised me. I'm out and on my own, doing fine. You don't have anyone else to support. And, it's your birthday on Thursday. Go for it".

I knew there was a reason I loved him so much.

I bought it last night. Red on Red TLX SH AWD A-Spec. Dealer sold 10 '18 TLXs, since they got them on 5/31....essentially, selling out. They won't get more until end of June, first of July. They have 15 2017s left, though. Mine was the first (and only) A-Spec they sold in that configuration.

The deal actually came in exactly as I outlined it before. No runs, drips, errors or drama. Easy-Peazy!

This drives NOTHING like any Acura I've driven previously. Better in person than in pics.

Nothing wrong with the Q50, but it has become more of a lux cruiser (although one high in value, and one that's very fast). It served its purpose in my stable. If this '18 TLX had been out, I would not have bought the Q50. As I told the dealer Sales Manager.."nothing wrong with it, but it's become more lux than sport, and it used to be the other way around."

This TLX is "in your face", but so's my Cobra. So, I seem to be leaning that way.

It tracks true with excellent control with good weighting. The seats really are sublime. They're bolstered and covered in creamy leather that feels good to the touch.

It's quick. It has red LED piping in the interior, on the dash, around the cup holders, on the doors, for ambiance. Not sure I can change colors, as some of you all can.

Brakes are strong and easily modulated. Steering wheels is fat (which I like).

SH AWD is great. Hit corners as hard as you can, no drama steering through them.

It's quick....not as quick as an S4 or a 340i, but still pretty damned quick. It makes great noises.

ELS Stereo is every bit as good (maybe better) than I remember. I was grinning during the test drive and driving it home last night. Haven't done that in a car in a very long time.

Acura has a hit on their hands.

Based on this review, I'd say Acura finally found their MOJO again. I'd still like to see them offer a turbo/supercharger option, or at least a 3.7 option for those that might just want a bit more oomph.

You got me wanting to go look at one.
  • Options
    bwia said:

I just watched a 2018 Acura TLX A-spec YouTube video. Good overall review but they were disappointed with the GPS map graphics and the integration of Google car play and Android auto which is not touch sensitive. The lack of a manual transmission, turbo charging and spare tire were considered demerits.

On the other hand they were pleased with all other aspects of the TLX as it is a premium level above Accord. The overall styling, performance, 9-speed transmission, body size, and dual visible exhaust were identified as noteworthy. They also liked the engine growl and overall sportiness.

bwia....the GPS graphics are pretty straight forward...not much in the way of renderings of buildings, etc. It gets the job done, which is getting you to where you want to be and showing the best way to get there.' It's very readable. You're not going to get anything fancy out of it, though. It splits the screen to show turns and exits.

Disagree about the integration of Apple Car Play (not sure about Android). Using the rotary knob is quicker and more precise than trying to touch an icon in a moving car. The Q50 didn't have Car Play, which is too bad. Generally, I liked the Q50's interface. I tripped it up regularly when plugging my iPhone to play music or Podcasts. It either didn't recognize my request, or took an inordinate time to execute a "find" for music or other applications. Then, it sometimes took a couple of times to get the selection correct, or it would reply "retrieving "song" and retrieve nothing.

The CTS did have Car Play. Slow, but better. Only problem there, Car Play would hang at least once/day.

So far, the TLX is quick with NAV/audio/HVAC and Car Play, like the rotary knob better than touch screen mentioned before. It's very accurate. And, so far, does not "hang". I'm good with it.

Agree about the lack of a spare. Then again, can't remember the last time I had a flat, nor the last time a car I had actually had a spare. Most have had run flats or "fix a flat.

Agree about the turbo, too. Slapping a turbo on the sweet 3.5 V6, which is already pretty quick, would make it a near 4 sec to 60 car. That would be a hoot. Rumor has it there's a TLX-S Type coming using the ASpec's suspension and the RLX's hybrid drivetrain. That would be a hoot, too.

Manual transmissions seem to be focused only on Muscle Cars and Miatas these days. I haven't seen a manual in a 4-door sedan of recent vintage in a long time. Shame, but the the automatics are so good, you can't shift better than them, these days.
  • Options
    jmonroe said:

Again, pics don't do justice, but the trim is all brushed metal (aluminum?). Very sharp.
    Untitled

Getting in here late as usual.

That is a lotta red but it looks good on you. Good luck with it.

May I suggest one thing...a redhead for the passenger seat. :p

jmonroe

J...working on the red head....or the blonde....or the brunette....hell, I'm not picky.