Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    A nice thing about leasing. It effectively takes OTD price out of picture, since that is by default your offer. $X at signing, then $Y per month. Everything is in those 2 numbers.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    inigo1 said:

Good morning, I'm a newbie looking to lease,  is there a thread for  highest dealer cash and best residual values ?

Or best lease deals for the month? 

Hi inigo1 and welcome to the forums.

You can get some basic numbers on lease offers HERE.

If you have very specific questions on certain cars, or if you want to check and see if the dealer's lease offer squares with our information, I would recommend that you start a new discussion, creating a title that specifies what you're looking for.

You can start a new discussion by going to the right of the page where your avatar and profile name are located, and click on New Discussion.

One of our leasing experts will respond quickly.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    ab348 said:

Survived the night no problem. slept well, brother has now left the premises.

Meeting a friend for lunch then immersing myself in British Open coverage.

More good news in here.

You've got to get out on that deck before the Summer is over. As for stains, I don't think any of them are as good as they were years ago. CR keeps giving Home Depots brand a very good rating but you couldn't prove it by me. I'm done with that brand but I don't know which one I'll be using next year.

About your lunch date, if your friend is buying, lay it on. He'll understand. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    As in all things, exceptions on a car deal exist. I can imagine if the car is a rarity, or in high demand (like the Civic Type R is right now), doing a skinny deal ain't happening. Then again, showed a couple of 2016 C Class that are new and still languishing on a dealer's lot, and you have to wonder if holding out for a higher margin deal on them really is in the dealer's best interest?

Come to think of it, if the Mercedes dealer would have accepted my skinny deal, the Q50 (and maybe the Acura) deal would never have happened.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

inigo1 said:

Good morning, I'm a newbie looking to lease,  is there a thread for  highest dealer cash and best residual values ?

If you have very specific questions on certain cars, or if you want to check and see if the dealer's lease offer squares with our information, I would recommend that you start a new discussion, creating a title that specifies what you're looking for.

You can start a new discussion by going to the right of the page where your avatar and profile name are located, and click on New Discussion.

Wouldn't one check to see if there's already a lease forum on that specific vehicle before starting yet another and possibly extraneous discussion?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    suydam said:

inigo1 said:

Wouldn't one check to see if there's already a lease forum on that specific vehicle before starting yet another and possibly extraneous discussion?
    We never discourage the creation of new threads; once created, we may redirect them to a different thread, depending on the subject matter.

We have several lease threads running concurrently for some models - and that's OK.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

Being discharged today. I'll share my story later this weekend. My first order of business (after a very long shower) is holding Sam and not letting him go for a while. 

Very scary couple of weeks. 

Great news ff! I'm sure you'll be glad to be home and as you said hold your son. Glad you're continuing to improve!
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

but not how much. And if you make the first offer, does not matter what theirs was going to be, in now became higher than yours.

stickguy said:

but not how much. And if you make the first offer, does not matter what theirs was going to be, in now became higher than yours.

True, but when I ordered my Audi S4 from Germany to spec, it took probably less than 20 minutes as they made about 2 attempts to get me to bump my offer, but I didn't budge, and on the 3rd return from the "manager" they said OK. I considered it an "almost" instantaneous "yes." If they had said yes any faster, I would have felt like I overpaid :open_mouth:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

@abacomike....glad to hear the good news. I'm sure you'll be feeling better in no time.

@pensfan83.....my target price is my offer. No surprises in F&I with doc fees, this fee, that fee, dealer add-ons, etc. The offer is the ENTIRE OFFER.....all-in. I know in advance what I'm spending down to the dollar.

I'll use the pricing websites like Edmunds, TrueCar, etc in addition to some personal research about stock levels at the dealerships. I'll look for a week or two online at what the dealerships are reporting as sold and what is aging inventory. Most dealerships show their inventory via their on line WEB pages. I can see which cars pop up and which cars go away. That tells me what their selling and what's languishing.

USAA, AMEX, etc use the TrueCar underpinnings for their own pricing services.

I think it depends on the geographic locale regarding pricing that KBB, Edmunds, TrueCar etc shows. I also think it depends on how many local dealerships participate in these pricing services.

I find TrueCar to be a pretty good tool around here. But, sounds like in other parts of the geography, they may not be as aggressive. I've never used their "coupon" at a dealership, as I think the dealers pay a flat fee for each of those coupons they get which turns into a sale. However, sometimes they miss the mark entirely. On my recent Acura purchase, they were a few hundred under MSRP. I ended up beating that deal by a couple thousand $ and getting over estimates for my Q50 trade (and yes, I shopped it). Edmunds (no offense to our hosts) tends to be a bit inaccurate in their pricing (on the high side).

Going crazy and offering the dealer a money loser for a deal just wastes everyone's time. Dealer won't accept it, and you just get frustrated not knowing the final amount you're going to pay (totally my opinion). I come in with a skinny offer, but what I think is doable. Considering I dismiss all the back end money like doc fees, I feel good about my deals.

That said, I could never make a deal with the local Infiniti dealership because they would never accept a skinny deal less the back end fees. Then, their management changed and they were very accommodating on the Q50 purchase.

Same with Lexus. There are two dealerships around my stomping grounds (one is near kyfdx). Both are owned by the same dealer group. They don't like doing skinny deals, either. As a result, I've tried to buy a Lexus 3-4 times. They let me walk every time I made an offer.

Funny thing, same dealer group owns the Honda store near me. They are really easy for me to make a deal with.

One of the keys, I rarely deal with green peas on the sales side. There is no "if we...will you?" sales....no 4 squares, no "are you going to buy today?" pre-qualification probing. I'm either making one offer for the car, or I'm not making any. Most of the veteran car sales people do not want to waste their time, or mine with all the text book sales banter. If I like the car enough to make an offer, I've done my homework up-front and am ready to rock. Those who haven't done business with me in the past, I explain my "one offer" philosophy and the fact that it's "all-in". Once that's understood, it's easy-peasy at that point.

I handle things almost exactly the same way. I was on another site where someone said that they went to a dealer who refused to negotiate an OTD price. I told him that at that point I would have walked.

RB, What do you do when someone comes in with an OTD price that is say $200 over invoice?
    On invoice?
    $200 below invoice?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

As in all things, exceptions on a car deal exist. I can imagine if the car is a rarity, or in high demand (like the Civic Type R is right now), doing a skinny deal ain't happening. Then again, showed a couple of 2016 C Class that are new and still languishing on a dealer's lot, and you have to wonder if holding out for a higher margin deal on them really is in the dealer's best interest?

Come to think of it, if the Mercedes dealer would have accepted my skinny deal, the Q50 (and maybe the Acura) deal would never have happened.

I think there is something going on when one year and two year old cars on sitting on lots. Some kind of tax credit or manufacturers credit. No one would hold onto those cars without a reason. Maybe the value sinks enough that the owner can buy it for his wife? There has to be a reason!

Ab and FF, glad to hear the positive news. We must have some kind of healing effect on you guys, and on Mike. I guess we are of some therapeutic (thank goodness for spellcheck) value.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    edited July 2017

Being discharged today. I'll share my story later this weekend. My first order of business (after a very long shower) is holding Sam and not letting him go for a while. 

Awesome news! That first sleep back home tonight back in your own bed will feel great.

BTW: belated thank-yous to everyone here for the well-wishes on my situation. This is a great bunch of folks.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    @graphicguy thanks for your response, good information on TrueCar and similar services. Good strategy too on the "all in offer", never really thought of it like that. I've been monitoring dealer inventories for the past few months for vehicles on my list for the exact same reasons you cite. The Jeep dealer has had the vehicle I would purchase on the lot since at least April whereas one of the area BMW dealers and my Audi dealer turned over their entire allotments of X1 and A4's respectively. In fact the Audi dealer has only 2 2017 A4's left, the rest are 2018.

The most recent add to the list is your car, which I've done for several reasons with value high up on that list and TrueCar is showing the same pricing here in Pittsburgh. However there looks to be almost $2,800 in lease cash available and I have to assume there would probably a dealer discount in there as well.

And like others if a dealer ever refused to negotiate on OTD pricing I too would walk.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

ab348 said:

Survived the night no problem. slept well, brother has now left the premises.

Meeting a friend for lunch then immersing myself in British Open coverage.

That's great news. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Question for the hosts:

Does Edmunds still list dealer trunk money in the incentives section. I was looking at a few cars and there was the usual rebate stuff but no mention of any cash available to dealers. Do you no longer list that or is it called by a different name? Is that the "other" catagory?

Maybe the car I was looking at just didn't have any trunk money available.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    driver100 said:

@abacomike....glad to hear the good news. I'm sure you'll be feeling better in no time.

@pensfan83.....my target price is my offer. No surprises in F&I with doc fees, this fee, that fee, dealer add-ons, etc. The offer is the ENTIRE OFFER.....all-in. I know in advance what I'm spending down to the dollar.

I'll use the pricing websites like Edmunds, TrueCar, etc in addition to some personal research about stock levels at the dealerships. I'll look for a week or two online at what the dealerships are reporting as sold and what is aging inventory. Most dealerships show their inventory via their on line WEB pages. I can see which cars pop up and which cars go away. That tells me what their selling and what's languishing.

I think it depends on the geographic locale regarding pricing that KBB, Edmunds, TrueCar etc shows. I also think it depends on how many local dealerships participate in these pricing services.

I find TrueCar to be a pretty good tool around here. But, sounds like in other parts of the geography, they may not be as aggressive. I've never used their "coupon" at a dealership, as I think the dealers pay a flat fee for each of those coupons they get which turns into a sale. However, sometimes they miss the mark entirely. On my recent Acura purchase, they were a few hundred under MSRP. I ended up beating that deal by a couple thousand $ and getting over estimates for my Q50 trade (and yes, I shopped it). Edmunds (no offense to our hosts) tends to be a bit inaccurate in their pricing (on the high side).

Going crazy and offering the dealer a money loser for a deal just wastes everyone's time. Dealer won't accept it, and you just get frustrated not knowing the final amount you're going to pay (totally my opinion). I come in with a skinny offer, but what I think is doable. Considering I dismiss all the back end money like doc fees, I feel good about my deals.

That said, I could never make a deal with the local Infiniti dealership because they would never accept a skinny deal less the back end fees. Then, their management changed and they were very accommodating on the Q50 purchase.

Same with Lexus. There are two dealerships around my stomping grounds (one is near kyfdx). Both are owned by the same dealer group. They don't like doing skinny deals, either. As a result, I've tried to buy a Lexus 3-4 times. They let me walk every time I made an offer.

Funny thing, same dealer group owns the Honda store near me. They are really easy for me to make a deal with.

One of the keys, I rarely deal with green peas on the sales side. There is no "if we...will you?" sales....no 4 squares, no "are you going to buy today?" pre-qualification probing. I'm either making one offer for the car, or I'm not making any. Most of the veteran car sales people do not want to waste their time, or mine with all the text book sales banter. If I like the car enough to make an offer, I've done my homework up-front and am ready to rock. Those who haven't done business with me in the past, I explain my "one offer" philosophy and the fact that it's "all-in". Once that's understood, it's easy-peasy at that point.

I handle things almost exactly the same way. I was on another site where someone said that they went to a dealer who refused to negotiate an OTD price. I told him that at that point I would have walked.

RB, What do you do when someone comes in with an OTD price that is say $200 over invoice?
    On invoice?
    $200 below invoice?
    It's not my call- I'd take it to my SM.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Good to hear!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2017
    Disaster averted....pretty much.

I was in my basement this morning and heard what sounded like dripping water. Sure enough a leak coming down from the bathroom above. Traced it to the water shut off going to the toilet and called the plumber. Easy fix but maybe a couple quarts soaked the ceiling below. No big deal, left a spot but in a dirty basement who cares. That will be number 101 on my top 100 things to fix some day.

While the plumber was there he said the company requires him to offer an inspection of any other possible plumbing problems. In the car business this would be the upsell or the while we're in there routine. I had a couple other concerns so I let him look. He found a corroded trap under the sink that I had been meaning to get to and I pointed out a dripping outdoor faucet.

He said he could replace the faucet but tried tightening the nut first and that worked so he saved me some money. I let him do the sink since he now seemed trustworthy.

On the way out I asked if I would be getting a survey as I knew how these worked in the car business and promised a good review. He said, no, they didn't do those but if I wanted to go on line to the company web site and give him kudos he wouldn't mind.

That's two pleasant experiences with this company so I guess they are now my go-to plumbers.

Oh, forgot the best part....nothing dripped on the Mustang. :p

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056

Question for the hosts:

Does Edmunds still list dealer trunk money in the incentives section. I was looking at a few cars and there was the usual rebate stuff but no mention of any cash available to dealers. Do you no longer list that or is it called by a different name? Is that the "other" catagory?

I don't think it's listed 'officially' in the incentives section.

The docs @kyfdx and I use to help folks with lease questions does include 'lease cash', which is a factory to dealer incentive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    Michaell said:

Question for the hosts:

The docs @kyfdx and I use to help folks with lease questions does include 'lease cash', which is a factory to dealer incentive.
    Edmunds stopped listing dealer incentives a little while back... Somewhere between 2-4 years ago, is my best guess. They only list customer incentives, now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

. He found a corroded trap under the sink that I had been meaning to get to and I pointed out a dripping outdoor faucet.

He said he could replace the faucet but tried tightening the nut first and that worked so he saved me some money. I let him do the sink since he now seemed trustworthy.
    That's two pleasant experiences with this company so I guess they are now my go-to plumbers.
    . :p

A good plumber, handyman, mechanic is worth his weight in gold. File his name in your address book under 1) his company name and his name if you like him, and may want to ask for him and 2) list him under P for Plumber. When you need him you will forget the name of the company, this way you can find it easily.

Good honest workers are hard to find, when you get one treat him well.

driver100 said:

On invoice?
    $200 below invoice?
    Question for GG and other one OTD people. Would you wait for SM or would you be walking?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    If you walk before your offer gets to a decision maker, it doesn't seem like that is going to work out well.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    If you walk before your offer gets to a decision maker, it doesn't seem like that is going to work out well.
    This. I don't recall any car purchase that wasn't channeled through a SM.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

On invoice?
    $200 below invoice?
    Question for GG and other one OTD people. Would you wait for SM or would you be walking?
    All of my offers have to go to their SM. I have no issue with that. If they come back with a bump, I will walk as I'm very clear I'm only making one offer. I'm not into the "bump and grind" game.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    When I bought the 2er the dealer appraised my MS3 and the sales advisor gave me an OTD number. I made a $500 lower counter offer, the SA took it to the SM and a couple of minutes later reappeared and said, "Congratulations, the car is yours!" Absolutely painless.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited July 2017

I understand the holding your son for a time after this serious illness. I still get a good feeling when I see fathers in restaurants and other places showing great love and care for their sons. Some keep a distance as if care is for the mother to be responsible for.

Then you're off to the Porsche store?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Question for the hosts:

Edmunds stopped listing dealer incentives a little while back... Somewhere between 2-4 years ago, is my best guess. They only list customer incentives, now.
    I knew I had seen it in the past. Thanks guys for assuring me I'm not yet senile.

I understand the holding your son for a time after this serious illness. I still get a good feeling when I see fathers in restaurants and other places showing great love and care for their sons. Some keep a distance as if care is for the mother to be responsible for.

Then you're off to the Porsche store?

Now don't push the poor guy, he just got out of the hospital. Have him call the dealer and have it sent over to his house.

https://bellevue.porschedealer.com/inventory/new/Porsche+911+Turbo++Bellevue+Washington+2017+Carrara+White+Metallic+1125208

Now who would take this deal? $500+ a month for 600 miles?

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevrolet-traverse-ltz/6220526115.html

Not sure I would want to pay $537 per month to drive 600 miles a month for a Traverse.
    Happy to see the AB twins and 28FF are doing better. :)

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

Question for the hosts:

I knew I had seen it in the past. Thanks guys for assuring me I'm not yet senile.
    Has nothing to do with whether you are senile, or not!

When I bought the 2er the dealer appraised my MS3 and the sales advisor gave me an OTD number. I made a $500 lower counter offer, the SA took it to the SM and a couple of minutes later reappeared and said, "Congratulations, the car is yours!" Absolutely painless.

Sounds too fast....maybe you should have changed it at that point to $800 :@

Now who would take this deal? $500+ a month for 600 miles?

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevrolet-traverse-ltz/6220526115.html

So many things wrong with this lease. What is the buy back price if there is one...if really low might be worthwhile. But (GM Financial 15 months left on lease, 9,000 mls remaining he has put 30000 miles on and he has 15 months to go, but only 9000 miles left. If someone wanted a car for exactly 15 months, did low mileage, and doesn't mind paying about $10000 to do it....then it may work out. Probably better to buy a one or two year old used car for $25000, then selling it in 15 months.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    firefighter28 - great news. Are you satisfied with your hospital stay? Sounds like they treated you quite right in Seattle. Rest up. No skydiving for a week or two.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

driver100 said:

. He found a corroded trap under the sink that I had been meaning to get to and I pointed out a dripping outdoor faucet.

A good plumber, handyman, mechanic is worth his weight in gold. File his name in your address book under 1) his company name and his name if you like him, and may want to ask for him and 2) list him under P for Plumber. When you need him you will forget the name of the company, this way you can find it easily.

You are so right about that but some people can't appreciate that because they have always had it.

The guy that Mrs. j slept with last night is one of those guy. I keep telling her how good she has it but my words fall on deft ears. Even if I have to say so myself, I'm a pretty good pipe bender, wire twister, paint sloper on-er, deck builder, etc. However, all she has said for a few years is, "I don't know why you have all those tools in the garage you never use them any more". I remind her that when I bend a pipe it stays bent, when I twist a wire it stays twisted, when I slop on paint it stays slopped on, etc. etc.

Even when I cut the grass lately she has a comment like, "I remember when you did it faster and when you didn't stop halfway through cutting the back yard to sit down and rest. Let me explain that comment. The last few years I have learned to sit back every now and then to admire my work. Sipping on an ice tea while sitting on my deck is the way I have chosen to do it lately.

Now, if I could only learn how to cut my grass once a season, I'd be doing flip-flops on my deck and I wouldn't need any ice tea, either. :o

jmonroe

driver100 said:

That sounds like what I was thinking when I bought my '09 Genny from a dealer near Akron. I mentioned this back in the days of SFTSFL.

Just a little repeat here:

The dealer had what seemed to be a great price on his web page so I called and wanted a few extra dollars off. The internet guy said he had been through this before with other callers and his SM would not lower the price one penny. I decided to wait him out for a few days and get a call back from him. He wasn't bluffing so I called him and told him the price he was willing to give me on Mrs. j's 2006 Sonata was a good starting point but I wanted more. He said he doubted that he could do better but MAYBE if he saw it he could give me another $100. It was worth the two hour drive so me, Mrs. j and Son #1 made the trip.

Nope, I wasn't going to get another $100 dollars and the price for his car was still the same. We are now preparing to leave and he says, "let me show you why I can't give you more". He shows me his sources Kelly Black Book and 2 others I can't recall now. I show him my sources one of which is Edmunds. Of course he says my sources aren't valid in the car biz. Again we are getting ready to leave and he wants to know how much more I want for my car. Now we are getting somewhere. We discussed this on the way up and figured I should say $600 and settle for $300 or $250. So, I said $600. He goes off to the tower and comes back pretty fast and says, "if I give you another $600 for your car will you buy the car right now"? Quickly I said, "YES". He says, "congratulations you just bought that car". He then gets up to get some paperwork and I look over at Son #1 and say, "I guess I left some money on the table". Son #1 has this funny look on his face and says, "yeah, but it couldn't have been much".

I don't think any buyer knows for sure how much money may be left on the table when they finally agree to a price. But how can you argue when the dealer agrees to your price?

jmonroe

• fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

We discussed this on the way up and figured I should say $600 and settle for $300 or $250. So, I said $600. He goes off to the tower and comes back pretty fast and says, "if I give you another $600 for your car will you buy the car right now"? Quickly I said, "YES". He says, "congratulations you just bought that car". He then gets up to get some paperwork and I look over at Son #1 and say, "I guess I left some money on the table". Son #1 has this funny look on his face and says, "yeah, but it couldn't have been much".

I don't think any buyer knows for sure how much money may be left on the table when they finally agree to a price. But how can you argue when the dealer agrees to your price?

jmonroe
    But if you were willing to take only $250 more for your trade and the dealer
    offered $600 more, then the dealer left $350 on the table. Sleep easy.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    jmonroe said:
    Disaster averted....pretty much. . He found a corroded trap under the sink that I had been meaning to get to and I pointed out a dripping outdoor faucet. He said he could replace the faucet but tried tightening the nut first and that worked so he saved me some money. I let him do the sink since he now seemed trustworthy. That's two pleasant experiences with this company so I guess they are now my go-to plumbers. . :p
    A good plumber, handyman, mechanic is worth his weight in gold. File his name in your address book under 1) his company name and his name if you like him, and may want to ask for him and 2) list him under P for Plumber. When you need him you will forget the name of the company, this way you can find it easily. Good honest workers are hard to find, when you get one treat him well.
    You are so right about that but some people can't appreciate that because they have always had it. The guy that Mrs. j slept with last night is one of those guy. I keep telling her how good she has it but my words fall on deft ears. Even if I have to say so myself, I'm a pretty good pipe bender, wire twister, paint sloper on-er, deck builder, etc. However, all she has said for a few years is, "I don't know why you have all those tools in the garage you never use them any more". I remind her that when I bend a pipe it stays bent, when I twist a wire it stays twisted, when I slop on paint it stays slopped on, etc. etc. Even when I cut the grass lately she has a comment like, "I remember when you did it faster and when you didn't stop halfway through cutting the back yard to sit down and rest. Let me explain that comment. The last few years I have learned to sit back every now and then to admire my work. Sipping on an ice tea while sitting on my deck is the way I have chosen to do it lately. Now, if I could only learn how to cut my grass once a season, I'd be doing flip-flops on my deck and I wouldn't need any ice tea, either. :o jmonroe
    We make up for Mrs. J's shortcomings when it comes to the appreciation of jmonroe and his pipe-bending, wiring, deck-building and, most importantly, STORY-TELLING!   ;) 

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

You are so right about that but some people can't appreciate that because they have always had it.

The guy that Mrs. j slept with last night is one of those guy. I keep telling her how good she has it but my words fall on deft ears. Even if I have to say so myself, I'm a pretty good pipe bender, wire twister, paint sloper on-er, deck builder, etc. However, all she has said for a few years is, "I don't know why you have all those tools in the garage you never use them any more". I remind her that when I bend a pipe it stays bent, when I twist a wire it stays twisted, when I slop on paint it stays slopped on, etc. etc.

Even when I cut the grass lately she has a comment like, "I remember when you did it faster and when you didn't stop halfway through cutting the back yard to sit down and rest. Let me explain that comment. The last few years I have learned to sit back every now and then to admire my work. Sipping on an ice tea while sitting on my deck is the way I have chosen to do it lately.

Now, if I could only learn how to cut my grass once a season, I'd be doing flip-flops on my deck and I wouldn't need any ice tea, either. :o

jmonroe

We make up for Mrs. J's shortcomings when it comes to the appreciation of jmonroe and his pipe-bending, wiring, deck-building and, most importantly, STORY-TELLING!   ;) 

I will agree. I haven't heard about him waxing his Gennie lately though.....I think he waxed the red one a lot more.

fordfool said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

We discussed this on the way up and figured I should say $600 and settle for $300 or $250. So, I said $600. He goes off to the tower and comes back pretty fast and says, "if I give you another $600 for your car will you buy the car right now"? Quickly I said, "YES". He says, "congratulations you just bought that car". He then gets up to get some paperwork and I look over at Son #1 and say, "I guess I left some money on the table". Son #1 has this funny look on his face and says, "yeah, but it couldn't have been much".

jmonroe
    But if you were willing to take only $250 more for your trade and the dealer
    offered $600 more, then the dealer left $350 on the table. Sleep easy.
    A great way to look at it - might even go into my book of "How to Rationalize Any Purchase".

I have been given prices way over what my target number was a few times. I have to say, I can't blame them for trying. Maybe some naive person walks in and thinks that is the actual price. But, once they know they aren't dealing with an amateur they better start getting more realistic pretty fast.

Question then for Mike....have you ever had a customer who paid full MSRP or bought a car...with a very small discount?

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

So, I said $600. He goes off to the tower and comes back pretty fast and says, "if I give you another $600 for your car will you buy the car right now"? Quickly I said, "YES". He says, "congratulations you just bought that car". He then gets up to get some paperwork and I look over at Son #1 and say, "I guess I left some money on the table". Son #1 has this funny look on his face and says, "yeah, but it couldn't have been much".

jmonroe
    Now that was a good story! I particularly like what your son said and he learned it from his Dad, "yeah, but it couldn't have been much". Lots of insight, he is probably right, but for the $50 or max $100 you could probably have got...it wouldn't be worth the effort.

How about a new Dodge Demon? 840 horsepower, 0 to 60 in 2.4 seconds.
    https://youtu.be/lc40DTp_eJc

You have to go through a lot of steps to get it to take off that fast!

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I was wondering what the biological effect on the human body would be at such high acceleration (0 - 60 in 2.4 seconds) but a human withstand up to 83 g's albeit for a very short time.
    edited July 2017
    In another video I watched the guy said it was a really unique feeling and he loved it. I guess it isn't hard on the body....after all, it is for only 2;4 seconds.

I am not sure I got this part right....maybe RB can help;
    They said 2.4 seconds was from a full stop position.
    Usually, 0 to 60 is done from a rolling start....that is the car is moving forward before counting.
    If taken from a rolling start it would take 2.2 seconds, at least that was my understanding while only half awake while watching.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

AB, you'll do just fine. Just try hard to remain positive. These guys with their modern methods are great!

Hey Craig, how's your new(to you) SUV treating you?

Didn't you have a Reatta and a BMW too? What happened to those?
    I think I've driven the Explorer maybe 100 miles since we got it. It's fine but I wish it were smaller.

Owned a Reatta and several BMW's

AB, you'll do just fine. Just try hard to remain positive. These guys with their modern methods are great!

Hey Craig, how's your new(to you) SUV treating you?

Didn't you have a Reatta and a BMW too? What happened to those?
    I think I've driven the Explorer maybe 100 miles since we got it. It's fine but I wish it were smaller.

Owned a Reatta and several BMW's
    Just be glad you didn't get an Expedition. Those suckers are huge.