Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    texases said:

My condolences....

For the gas prices or the football game .... :wink:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Prices go up, prices go down. A playoff loss lives forever!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited January 2018
    Ain’t it grand!? I follow 36 mpg-417 gal ULSD @ $2.49=$1,038 / 22 mpg-682 gal PUG @ $2.67=$1,821 ($783 @ current prices) yearly commuting.

(2015) NHTSA avgs are between 11,000 to 14,200 miles per year.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    texases said:

Prices go up, prices go down. A playoff loss lives forever!

I knew it was time to give up my season tickets, when we would make the playoffs (yay!), but then I realized that the price for each game was double the regular season price, and then I'd look at the weather report and cringe.

20 years was long enough. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

http://www.oil-price.net Passing gas.....?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Up to $2.95 here :(
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    RUG in Pahrump went up 10 cents to $2.32. Diesel has not changed for the last 5 months, $2.72. Both CC price a few stations are less for cash.
    edited February 2018
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9c55b647-3edb-3540-9174-6d6b062fc917/ss_u.s.-retail-gasoline-prices.html
    UP?

Carson City, NV ULSD $2.73.

Sacramento, CA ULSD $3.31

Folsom, City, CA ULSD $3.35

South Lake Tahoe, CA $3.65

Using the same model, the diesel version gives far more range (20 mpg/36 mpg) . So one tankful is roughly $14 more. (using these examples) So I’m going to the area/place that’s offering $1.50 hot dog/drink/kraut and save an additional $14 for a tank full of diesel.
    Down a random 6 cents to $2.89
    RUG: $2.33
    PUG: $2.93
    Diesel: $2.85

Kroger
    Cincinnati area

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    RUG: $2.38
    Mid Grade - $2.58

Also Kroger
    Denver suburbs

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

RUG $2.43
    Diesel $2.76
    Smith's Grocery, a Kroger company.
    Pahrump, NV
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    RUG $2.14 at the Neighborhood Grocery Wal*Mart in Alamogordo, NM.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

RUG $2.14 at the Neighborhood Grocery Wal*Mart in Alamogordo, NM.

I thought you were in Kansas or Washington? Back in NM? Our diesel came back down to $2.72, RUG still $2.43. Not like CA where the prices can change two or three times a day.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    When I was young prices never bounced around like they do today. Wall Street claims the futures and derivatives help stabilize the market. I have to wonder if the only thing they do is pad the investor's pocket at the expense of stuck consumers.

One thing Americans will find out is that completion of things like the Keystone pipeline aren't going to make things better back here. They just help oil companies export more, which over time will make US Oil and gas prices closer to Brent and cost us more out of pocket (Cushing, OK and the like won't have to keep their storage tanks filled a high anymore awaiting US sales, while the lower levels in them send futures prices higher here). The whole argument for it in Congress seems like a ruse to me set up to help oil industry profits and lobbyists, who in turn send some toward the Capitol building in Washington (or more precisely, the confessional members offices near there).
    I did hear something on the radio the other day about gas prices. It was one of those "car clinic" type of shows, might have been Bobby Likus, not sure as I didn't listen very long. Talking about gas prices and whether they will go up or down, and he said that because MPG performance of the global fleet of cars is improving, the oil companies are selling less oil (I kinda think the fleet might be growing as well, so less oil may or may not be true). In any event, he says selling less oil means they make less money, so they will have to raise the price.

Kinda sounds like the prices has very little to do with supply and demand, don't it?? ;)

We've had snow every day for almost 2 weeks now, so our price is still frozen at $2.79
    PF_Flyer said:

I did hear something on the radio the other day about gas prices. It was one of those "car clinic" type of shows, might have been Bobby Likus, not sure as I didn't listen very long. Talking about gas prices and whether they will go up or down, and he said that because MPG performance of the global fleet of cars is improving, the oil companies are selling less oil (I kinda think the fleet might be growing as well, so less oil may or may not be true). In any event, he says selling less oil means they make less money, so they will have to raise the price.

Kinda sounds like the prices has very little to do with supply and demand, don't it?? ;)

We've had snow every day for almost 2 weeks now, so our price is still frozen at $2.79

I hope Bobby is better with car advice than economic advice. What a load of nonsense. We've just seen the biggest example of supply and demand working there's been in decades. US oil production has shot up to record levels, and oil prices dropped by more than 50%. If oil companies could just "raise the price", why would this have happened? Truth is, they can't.
    Except.. oil prices are up over 50% in the last couple of years.. How do we explain that?

Agreed that "Bobby" is way off base..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Had they not gone up from under $40/bbl, just about every oil company would have gone out of business. Many did. Taking the starting point as the bottom of the price cliff will always result in increases as prices stabilize. Prices have been fairly stable around $60 for a while now.

texases said:

Had they not gone up from under $40/bbl, just about every oil company would have gone out of business. Many did. Taking the starting point as the bottom of the price cliff will always result in increases as prices stabilize. Prices have been fairly stable around $60 for a while now.

We are all picking our statistics.. ;)

Squeeze that chart up to 2014-2018, and it doesn't look very stable.

Reminds me of the "technical analysis" on Wall Street.. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    Oh those speculative days of mid-08, I don't miss that. I hope some jerks lost their shirts.
    We could have stable lower prices and no supply, or stable high prices at great economic cost. Price instability allows the market to react, dropping prices when supply is high, increasing when supplies are low, which gets more wells drilled and oil produced.
    Agreed.. I have no problem with oil price stability (or, the lack thereof).

Open markets seem to work best.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

And I have no problem with going after folks trying to manipulate markets. It's just less common that some folks think, in my opinion.
    But prices were pretty stable for decades until the financial industry got big into things like futures, derivatives and synthetics, etc. That seems to be when prices got volatile. Although obviously today global consumption is a much bigger factor, so it also plays into it. US centric though, the new pipeline construction is diverting US supplies to export which in turn reduces the price differentiation we used to have with global markets like Brent.
    Was looking for a possible link to what was said. I've determined that it had to be the Bobby Likis show, but can't find a reference.
    edited March 2018
    Chevron nearest me - RUG $3.27/midgrade $3.41/PUG $3.51. I think diesel was $3.18. Nice!
    edited March 2018
    According to a recently-read article the average price of ghastly in the U.S. is now $2.66 for RUG.

Industry analyst Trilby Lundberg said Sunday the increase was driven primarily by rising crude oil prices.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/us-gas-prices-rise-7-cents-a-gallon-over-past-2-weeks/ar-BBKG7r6

Here in Alamogordo I'm paying $2.33 gas for RUG at the Neighborhood Wal*Mart, which sits right across the street from my employer and right up the hill from the house we're closing on on March 30th. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, that is. Y'all drive carefully now, ya hear!

Feels like a bump coming. Most places at $2.79, but I passed two this morning up to $2.85
    Pahrump, NV RUG jumped to $2.62 midgrade is $2.82 and diesel $2.76.
    Alpine, CA where I am waiting to hear if my house sold RUG and diesel are the same $3.69 a gallon.
    E85 was $1.79 today at Kroger.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2018
    kyfdx said:

E85 was $1.79 today at Kroger.

Have you ever tried E85 in your vehicle? My Ford Ranger was Flex. No one close to me sold the stuff.
    No, I’ve never had a flex fuel vehicle. I’ve heard that you eat up a lot of the savings through lower MPG. Archer Daniels Midland is happy, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Gas prices - hey, a lot of people in Oklahoma are experiencing earthquakes or sinkholes to get that fracked gas to you for your car ;)
    edited March 2018
    berri said:

Gas prices - hey, a lot of people in Oklahoma are experiencing earthquakes or sinkholes to get that fracked gas to you for your car ;)

And the people in the Gulf are experiencing loss of fishing due to Corn growing fertilizers flushing into the gulf.

https://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/areas/gulfofmexico/explore/gulf-of-mexico-dead-zone.xml?src=sea.awp.prnone&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1-fVBRC3ARIsAIifYONK8yYI1NDQZ3e1qskzZU_eFk1yM0ofsx8oNa_-ZMOR92QoR_ke3b0aAjw-EALw_wcB

http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/gulf-of-mexico-dead-zone-is-largest-ever-measured
    For whatever reason, ag issues like runoff don't seem to get much attention and I think it is an issue for concern.
    Agreed.... that's only one issue. Deforestation has been going on for 200 years, and it's probably a bigger problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

RUG is up 6 cents from Monday's cost here at Alamogordo's Neighborhood Wal*Mart. Now sitting at $2.39/gal.

kyfdx said:

Agreed.... that's only one issue. Deforestation has been going on for 200 years, and it's probably a bigger problem.

I read the forests that were cleared in most of Iowa to plant corn will take over 100 years of ethanol production to mitigate the loss of carbon sink and oxygen from those forests. If it ever does.
    gagrice said:

kyfdx said:

I read the forests that were cleared in most of Iowa to plant corn will take over 100 years of ethanol production to mitigate the loss of carbon sink and oxygen from those forests. If it ever does.
    Fertilizer runoff effects are easy to quantify, and disproportionately affect smaller areas. (not that it isn't serious).

But, the effects of deforestation are multiple and ongoing... and, probably can't ever be reversed. I wonder if ethanol production added to that by much, since those lands have been cleared for years. But, it sure isn't helping engine performance. I'd buy pure gas, if it were readily available (it isn't).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

When I could get pure gas I always got a few miles more per gallon with it. I'm not sure it will ever come back though because a lot of the transport lines are now contaminated with ethanol.
    One of several reasons I will never buy another gas powered vehicle. I now have two diesels and love them both and don't have to worry about ethanol damage to my engines.
    berri said:

When I could get pure gas I always got a few miles more per gallon with it. I'm not sure it will ever come back though because a lot of the transport lines are now contaminated with ethanol.

We have one station in the area, but it's 30 miles away.. and, it's just 90 octane. (my car requires 91)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

$2.89
    gagrice said:

One of several reasons I will never buy another gas powered vehicle. I now have two diesels and love them both and don't have to worry about ethanol damage to my engines.

One can also Google what I will say. For starters: 10% ethanol (aka, E10) yields way less mpg. Ethanol has absolutely zero -zip-nada emissions controls. It costs way more per gal with far less mpg. One can do the math, but here’s an easy example: an E85 CUV/SUV gets 25% less mpg than gas. Ethanol was given massive mathematical advantages in epa/carb calculations ,despite knowing the environmental destruction. As an example: an E85 model gets 100 miles per gal (credit) when It gets closer to 15 mpg. The DECEPTION/ sleuth of hand talk is ingenious: n the sense that not many people buy so called “flex fuel” products where one can use normal E10 to E 85.Distillation of automotive alcohol releases massive amounts of CO2 gas. C02 is not captured, but released to the air. Truly and unfortunately, it goes on and on. ...
    I'm in Canada for a few days. RUG is around $1.45/liter in the Vancouver area, PUG is around $1.65-1.70, and just like in Murka, diesel is cheaper, around $1.35.
    Is that in C$ pricing? Still high.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yep, local money.
    Put a couple gallons in the fintail - I think RUG was around 3.50, ~10 spread per grade from there, diesel was 2 cents under RUG. Prices definitely creeping up.
    RUG $2.54, $0.25/grade here.