Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    driver100 said:

$12 billion in subsidies to farmers to make up for the money they will lose from tariffs. So, the tax payers will reimburse the farmers. Isn't this communism?
    And that isn't even considering the money going to be lost when the tariffs hit the auto industry!

"Fixing" problems of your own creation.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    A pretty interesting story:

I had to go to Home Depot today and Mrs. j wanted to tag along. Said something about wanting to look at a light fixture for the laundry room and since there is an Aldi's close by she wanted to get some milk and another thing or two. For those not familiar with Aldi's, it is a discount food store of sorts (not a club like Sam's and Costco) but it carries mostly their own brand of stuff. FWIW, awhile back CR rated it within the top 20 grocery stores in the country. One of the things about Aldi's is you have to insert a quarter into a gizmo on the shopping cart to release a chain from the cart in front of it so that you can get your cart. Then when you return your cart and insert the chain from the cart in front, your quarter is ejected. At first thought it sounds kinda petty but after thinking about it, this insures that almost everyone returns their carts which insures less runaway carts in the parking lot.

Today when I pulled in, I notice a very old pickup pulling into a space about 2 spaces over from me. This pickup looks like it is used on a farm and is beaten to hell and back. A woman jumps out and heads to the station where the carts are located and she gets there about 5 steps ahead of me. I see that she has what looks like a washer (it had a whole in the center of it like washers have) with small groves filed around the circumference of it. It pretty much looks likes a quarter except for the hole in the center of it. She's inserts it then pulls it out and inserts it again. Then she starts jiggling it around. All the while moaning that she can't get her cart. I said, "I think you have to use a quarter". She snaps back, "I know that but this has worked before". Then she reaches into her pocket and takes out another washer. That one didn't work either. She is now beside herself and says, "they must have changed their carts or something because the last time, I had a hell of a time getting my washer back and one time it stole my washer altogether and I had to leave it in this thing". Finally she reaches into her pocket and takes out a regulation quarter, inserts it (success) and dashes off quickly into the store. Mrs. j went ahead of me into the store and when I got to her I couldn't stop laughing. She wanted to know why so I told her the story. Wide eyed she said, "what did she look like"? I described her and then she said, "that's her over there and she's the one that almost ran me and this lady over (points to a woman across the aisle) running with her cart".

Maybe this counter fitter was afraid that the US Treasury Dept. is looking for her.

And people talk about Wal-Mart shoppers. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited July 2018
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

$12 billion in subsidies to farmers to make up for the money they will lose from tariffs. So, the tax payers will reimburse the farmers. Isn't this communism?
    And that isn't even considering the money going to be lost when the tariffs hit the auto industry!

You guys need to catch up on the news. All those tariffs you keep referring to have been put on hold per agreement with E.U. as of today. The U.S. and E.U. put them on hold today and are working toward eliminating all tariffs, subsidies, etc. More great news for U.S.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini1 said:

dino001 said:

driver100 said:

You guys need to catch up on the news. All those tariffs you keep referring to have been put on hold per agreement with E.U. as of today. The U.S. and E.U. put them on hold today and are working toward eliminating all tariffs, subsidies, etc.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited July 2018
    houdini1 said:

You guys need to catch up on the news. All those tariffs you keep referring to have been put on hold per agreement with E.U. as of today. The U.S. and E.U. put them on hold today and are working toward eliminating all tariffs, subsidies, etc. More great news for U.S.

The former may be true, but don't proclaim victory on 30 yard line after a 4-yard run. So far we have one industrial manufacturer after another announcing moving production overseas for those products that were affected by retaliatory tariffs (Hog, now Polaris). What do you think will happen after another self-proclaimed victory, or even if it actually does result in some kind of concessions months down the road? Do you think those guys will bring it back here after they just opened it in Poland, Czechia, or Romania and enjoy labor that costs quarter or less than here? Fat chance.

This is what you get when you move without a plan, consideration, based on your own gut feeling and sycophants one page reports (as we heard repeatedly, one page is all the Genius needs).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    jmonroe said:
    A pretty interesting story: I had to go to Home Depot today and Mrs. j wanted to tag along. Said something about wanting to look at a light fixture for the laundry room and since there is an Aldi's close by she wanted to get some milk and another thing or two. For those not familiar with Aldi's, it is a discount food store of sorts (not a club like Sam's and Costco) but it carries mostly their own brand of stuff. FWIW, awhile back CR rated it within the top 20 grocery stores in the country. One of the things about Aldi's is you have to insert a quarter into a gizmo on the shopping cart to release a chain from the cart in front of it so that you can get your cart. Then when you return your cart and insert the chain from the cart in front, your quarter is ejected. At first thought it sounds kinda petty but after thinking about it, this insures that almost everyone returns their carts which insures less runaway carts in the parking lot. Today when I pulled in, I notice a very old pickup pulling into a space about 2 spaces over from me. This pickup looks like it is used on a farm and is beaten to hell and back. A woman jumps out and heads to the station where the carts are located and she gets there about 5 steps ahead of me. I see that she has what looks like a washer (it had a whole in the center of it like washers have) with small groves filed around the circumference of it. It pretty much looks likes a quarter except for the hole in the center of it. She's inserts it then pulls it out and inserts it again. Then she starts jiggling it around. All the while moaning that she can't get her cart. I said, "I think you have to use a quarter". She snaps back, "I know that but this has worked before". Then she reaches into her pocket and takes out another washer. That one didn't work either. She is now beside herself and says, "they must have changed their carts or something because the last time, I had a hell of a time getting my washer back and one time it stole my washer altogether and I had to leave it in this thing". Finally she reaches into her pocket and takes out a regulation quarter, inserts it (success) and dashes off quickly into the store. Mrs. j went ahead of me into the store and when I got to her I couldn't stop laughing. She wanted to know why so I told her the story. Wide eyed she said, "what did she look like"? I described her and then she said, "that's her over there and she's the one that almost ran me and this lady over (points to a woman across the aisle) running with her cart". Maybe this counter fitter was afraid that the US Treasury Dept. is looking for her. And people talk about Wal-Mart shoppers. :o jmonroe
    If the washer, or even a slug, is the same dimension of a quarter it will work. In a pinch, when I was quarterless, I have used washers. Since it returns to you when you return the cart no harm no foul. Once when I did that as I was returning the cart someone wanted to grab it and give me the quarter he was going to use, I refused it explaining that I used a washer. 

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jmonroe said:

A pretty interesting story:

I had to go to Home Depot today and Mrs. j wanted to tag along. Said something about wanting to look at a light fixture for the laundry room and since there is an Aldi's close by she wanted to get some milk and another thing or two. For those not familiar with Aldi's, it is a discount food store of sorts (not a club like Sam's and Costco) but it carries mostly their own brand of stuff. FWIW, awhile back CR rated it within the top 20 grocery stores in the country. One of the things about Aldi's is you have to insert a quarter into a gizmo on the shopping cart to release a chain from the cart in front of it so that you can get your cart. Then when you return your cart and insert the chain from the cart in front, your quarter is ejected. At first thought it sounds kinda petty but after thinking about it, this insures that almost everyone returns their carts which insures less runaway carts in the parking lot.

jmonroe

They built an Aldi's in my neighborhood about a year ago. It's the only competition to the local HEB, and I can't say that I care for it very much. Where I live there are a lot of people who don't have cars, and they tend to steal the shopping carts. Or at least "borrow" them to roll their groceries home. The HEB put the automatic locking brakes on their carts to slow down the practice. Aldi's as you mentioned requires a quarter, which isn't much. The other day, on one of the side streets, I spotted about 20 shopping carts. I slowed down for a better look, and it was a whole string of Aldi shopping carts all locked together. Someone just stole the whole string!

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

driver100 said:

Our problem is although Gigi is capable of barking she never does. Since she is only 11 pounds no one is scared of her.
    This is the day they are supposed to be in the neighborhood, I am going to tell them it is the worst marketing program possible for their service.
    Leave a card in the mailbox that I can save in case I need your service....and give me a discount if I call you.

He told me how ants could be under my driveway and they will start to breakthrough the cement, and how there could be ants making nests in my 10 year old house. Scare Techniques....try them on someone else. It probably costs less to get the work done when needed, than to do preventative work on everything. Bah, humbug!

Ants under your driveway?

You don't wanna mess with that!

I remember that movie, a great sci-fi creature feature. "Them", 1953, with James Arness (Marshall Dillon)
    qbrozen said:

Oh I'll never have that problem! Part of my annual spring cleaning routine is setting off a small atomic blast in my driveway. ;b

Nah, you don't want to do that. All of those 1950's creature features were based on radiation from atomic blasts causing giant mutations. Ants, grasshoppers, rabbits, you name it, there was a creature feature based on it.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    dino001 said:

houdini1 said:

The former may be true, but don't proclaim victory on 30 yard line after a 4-yard run. So far we have one industrial manufacturer after another announcing moving production overseas for those products that were affected by retaliatory tariffs (Hog, now Polaris). What do you think will happen after another self-proclaimed victory, or even if it actually does result in some kind of concessions months down the road? Do you think those guys will bring it back here after they just opened it in Poland, Czechia, or Romania and enjoy labor that costs quarter or less than here? Fat chance.

This is what you get when you move without a plan, consideration, based on your own gut feeling and sycophants one page reports (as we heard repeatedly, one page is all the Genius needs).

Trump had a plan and it worked !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Aldi is not the best German discounter. Their stores have always been down the market in their own domestic market, so I can't see that culture to improve here that much. Lidl, on the other hand, is a different story. Their aim is different. Back in Poland, my mother is using them, she likes the stores and on my visits I confirm, they are small format, but good enough choice and quite decent quality. Stores are also clean and seem to be well run.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    houdini1 said:

dino001 said:

houdini1 said:

Just because you say it, it doesn't make it so. Worked were? So far I see higher steel prices and manufacturers leaving. How does that constitute working? Parallel universe?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    henryn said:

Nah, you don't want to do that. All of those 1950's creature features were based on radiation from atomic blasts causing giant mutations. Ants, grasshoppers, rabbits, you name it, there was a creature feature based on it.

LOL. Yes, that is exactly why I made the joke. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    edited July 2018
    houdini1 said:

dino001 said:

houdini1 said:

The faithful will believe anything!

The experts say it won't work, but Mr you know who knows what is best... ideas just pop out of his head.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    edited July 2018
    Any data to link about work towards eliminating subsidies? EU loves to subsidize, and the so-called right free marketeers in Murka just adore corporate welfare (like the upcoming farm bailout and myriad gifts given to "capitalists" large and small for decades).
    houdini1 said:

• Options
    I hate those places where you need a quarter for a shopping buggy. I get treated like their low-life regular customers. Plus, I never carry change on me. Quarters I save in my console for meters and car washes. We don't have pennies anymore in Canada....what a waste of time. Nickels are almost useless now too, and dimes.....ah, what can you buy for a dime? In Canada we have 41 and $2 coins....great for the car wash.....those I save. Pennies, nickels and dimes I just put them in a drawer.....maybe one day they will add up to $50.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    driver100 said:

The faithful will believe anything!
    The experts say it won't work, but Mr you know who knows what is best... ideas just from pop out of his head.

Magical thinking. Just like magic - abracadabra and it's working... All you need is just a tweet to proclaim it working. Call in Kellyann - she will give you alternative facts.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    jmonroe said:
    A pretty interesting story: I had to go to Home Depot today and Mrs. j wanted to tag along. Said something about wanting to look at a light fixture for the laundry room and since there is an Aldi's close by she wanted to get some milk and another thing or two. For those not familiar with Aldi's, it is a discount food store of sorts (not a club like Sam's and Costco) but it carries mostly their own brand of stuff. FWIW, awhile back CR rated it within the top 20 grocery stores in the country. One of the things about Aldi's is you have to insert a quarter into a gizmo on the shopping cart to release a chain from the cart in front of it so that you can get your cart. Then when you return your cart and insert the chain from the cart in front, your quarter is ejected. At first thought it sounds kinda petty but after thinking about it, this insures that almost everyone returns their carts which insures less runaway carts in the parking lot. Today when I pulled in, I notice a very old pickup pulling into a space about 2 spaces over from me. This pickup looks like it is used on a farm and is beaten to hell and back. A woman jumps out and heads to the station where the carts are located and she gets there about 5 steps ahead of me. I see that she has what looks like a washer (it had a whole in the center of it like washers have) with small groves filed around the circumference of it. It pretty much looks likes a quarter except for the hole in the center of it. She's inserts it then pulls it out and inserts it again. Then she starts jiggling it around. All the while moaning that she can't get her cart. I said, "I think you have to use a quarter". She snaps back, "I know that but this has worked before". Then she reaches into her pocket and takes out another washer. That one didn't work either. She is now beside herself and says, "they must have changed their carts or something because the last time, I had a hell of a time getting my washer back and one time it stole my washer altogether and I had to leave it in this thing". Finally she reaches into her pocket and takes out a regulation quarter, inserts it (success) and dashes off quickly into the store. Mrs. j went ahead of me into the store and when I got to her I couldn't stop laughing. She wanted to know why so I told her the story. Wide eyed she said, "what did she look like"? I described her and then she said, "that's her over there and she's the one that almost ran me and this lady over (points to a woman across the aisle) running with her cart". Maybe this counter fitter was afraid that the US Treasury Dept. is looking for her. And people talk about Wal-Mart shoppers. :o jmonroe
    I like those machines. It encourages lazy morons to return their cart just like a civilized person. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    LOL, if Trump walked on water you guys would say look, he can't swim.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    dino001 said:
    The former may be true, but don't proclaim victory on 30 yard line after a 4-yard run. So far we have one industrial manufacturer after another announcing moving production overseas for those products that were affected by retaliatory tariffs (Hog, now Polaris). What do you think will happen after another self-proclaimed victory, or even if it actually does result in some kind of concessions months down the road? Do you think those guys will bring it back here after they just opened it in Poland, Czechia, or Romania and enjoy labor that costs quarter or less than here? Fat chance. This is what you get when you move without a plan, consideration, based on your own gut feeling and sycophants one page reports (as we heard repeatedly, one page is all the Genius needs).
    Having announced and doing it are two different things. Not enough time has passed since all this started to make many of these announcements irrevocable.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @jmonroe,
    Happy Birthday and I when I picture you, I'm thinking Don Rickles, not Rodney or Roger. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

@jmonroe,
    Happy Birthday and I when I picture you, I'm thinking Don Rickles, not Rodney or Roger. :)

Uh oh. Now you've gone and done it. He's a Dean Martin look-a-like.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    edited July 2018

Having announced and doing it are two different things. Not enough time has passed since all this started to make many of these announcements irrevocable.

Fair enough, but prolong it, throw in ten other threats, and retaliations and the announcements will become reality. 50 percent higher steel price in the US vs. other countries is reality right now. I just read of a nail factory that had huge layoffs and is under stress to possibly close altogether, as their input cost overwhelmed the profit vs. imported nails. So to “fix” that now we can of course levy tariffs on imported nails, then it’s of course items that used nails as input product and the cycle goes on.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I believe it won't go all the way and is a lot of short term bluff and bluster, but if it does it certainly economically has the potential for very negative effects like Nixonomics leading to stagflation several years down the road. If you haven't been around long enough to experience stagflation, it will impact most everyone and not lead to happy consequences for most. The car industry was whipped very harshly by it all and looks to be potentially victimized again if economic sanity doesn't prevail.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

Politics:

Even though I strongly agree with one side of the argument, please take it to some other forum. I want to read about cars not listen to snarky comments.

Hosts?

I agree. As long as both sides receive the same treatment.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

@jmonroe,

:@ :@

jmonroe

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2018
    Politics: Even though I strongly agree with one side of the argument, please take it to some other forum. I want to read about cars not listen to snarky comments. Hosts?
    I guess they don’t care about those of us who refuse to see this forum disintegrate into political “combat”! ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Happy Birthdat jmonroe.  Many healthy any happy more!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Was talking with my son an hour ago.  It hit 118 F today and they forecast 120 F for tomorrow.  They are under severe heat warnings until Saturday.  He’s anxious to come here and get out of that heat.  I keep telling him, “...son, it’s all relative - humidity that is!  95 F here with 75% humidity isn’t that much better!”  But when it hits 120 F out there, you can cook right on the hood of your car.  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    venture said:

@jmonroe,

Uh oh. Now you've gone and done it. He's a Dean Martin look-a-like.
    You tell em.

When we went out for dinner tonight, Mrs. j mentioned to our server that it was my birthday today and she said, "I hope my husband looks that good when he's your age". Not wanting to let that pass because she reminds me when she gets compliments, I said, "see, you don't know how lucky you are". She comes back with, "that wasn't a complement, she wants a big tip".

Now I think I am being treated like Rodney Dangerfield. :'(

jmonroe

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    Happy Birthday jmonroe! Hope it was a good one, enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited July 2018
    Happy Birthday @jmonroe... who would have thought our birthdays are only a few days apart and we both had an 09 Burgundy Genesis! 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Had lunch with one of my walking buddies today.  He picked me up in his 2008 Infiniti M35X that has 123,000+ miles on it.  It not only looks like a new car, but the ride and comfort in that car reminded me of my Dad’s 2007 Infiniti M35 when we took it off the dealer’s lot.  Those cars are truly wonderfully manufactured vehicles.  He takes great pride in his car and has the oil changed regularly.

He said he has no urge or need to buy a car so long as his M35X continues to perform well.  I still can’t believe it had 123,000 miles on the odometer - he bought the car at the dealership where I was sales manager.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78 said:
    Happy Birthday @jmonroe... who would have thought our birthdays are only a few days apart and we both had an 09 Burgundy Genesis! 
    But you’re better looking, tjc!  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I’ve always liked the M, really nice car. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:
    I’ve always liked the M, really nice car. 
    It was my Dad’s last car  2007 M35 in Silver and nicely loaded - he loved it - said it was the best car he ever owned - but I had to sell it when his vision deteriorated.  

It had 4200 miles on it - 12 months old - I was able to get $35,000 for it at CarMax.  Great car!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    When we went out for dinner tonight, Mrs. j mentioned to our server that it was my birthday today and she said, "I hope my husband looks that good when he's your age".

Those young servers think you are about 20 years older than you are....so she wants her husband to look like you when he is 97 :o

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    tjc78 said:
    Happy Birthday @jmonroe. Mine was July 16.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

I didn't know that. So now more than ever, between you and I and @ab348, since we have enough seniority in here, Edmunds can at least spring for a cake. Gifts would be more than welcome but for now let's just insist on a cake. We could threaten to leave this place if our demands aren't met but Edmunds might call our bluff and wouldn't even miss you and @ab, so think it over so we can plan this out.

jmonroe

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    jmonroe said:

tjc78 said:

I didn't know that. So now more than ever, between you and I and @ab348, since we have enough seniority in here, Edmunds can at least spring for a cake. Gifts would be more than welcome but for now let's just insist on a cake. We could threaten to leave this place if our demands aren't met but Edmunds might call our bluff and wouldn't even miss you and @ab, so think it over so we can plan this out.

jmonroe
    We will cut your dues as a birthday gift. :smile:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    driver100 said:

When we went out for dinner tonight, Mrs. j mentioned to our server that it was my birthday today and she said, "I hope my husband looks that good when he's your age".

Those young servers think you are about 20 years older than you are....so she wants her husband to look like you when he is 97 :o
    Something like that. My only complaint is, if I knew I'd reach this age, I would have taken better care of myself. :p

jmonroe

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Had dinner with my son tonight. He’s 31.

We talked about our next wheels. He was keen on a Golf R. He’ll be in the market next year. Because of the current climate, he’s changing his short list. No more Golf R or CLA or 2 Series, he’s focusing on a Civic Type R. Excited about that and hope he’ll let me drive it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    HBD JM!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

So, I am just finishing my lunch and the door bell rings.
    It is an eager young man holding a clip board.....this doesn't look good.
    His shirt says Terminex and he tells me they will be in our neighborhood tomorrow and if I have them do preventive work I get 50% off.
    Then he proceeds to tell me about every kind of vermin and insect they can protect me from.
    It was hard to stop him....being a polite Canadian.
    I told him if I ever had a problem with pests I will give them a call.
    I should have asked, How Can I Get You Removed From My Property?
    If I do have a problem, I will call them. They don't have to try and scare me into using their company.
    If, I do call someone, it won't be the company that has no respect for my time and life! :(

They must be making the rounds. Same Terminex company came around ringing my door bell last week. From Cutco knives to pest control. Is it me?
    I experienced the oldest scam in the book. Guy knocks on my door wearing a safety vest and an ID badge (of sorts) saying that his company is doing some paving down the street and they have some leftover asphalt in case I wanted to repair my driveway. I said "you must be kidding" and closed the door in his face, and called the police before some poor old guy or lady gets robbed in the neighborhood.
    C'mon, be honest, wasn't the biggest tip off because you have a concrete driveway? :o

jmonroe
    LOL! It actually is hard-packed gravel!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2018
    houdini1 said:

dino001 said:

driver100 said:

Don't count on it. There's really nothing here.
  • Options
    bwia said:

tjc78 said:

Happy Birthday @jmonroe. Mine was July 16.

Hey, July 16 is our wedding anniversary. I think you should join us for negotiations for that cake. The more the better.

Happy belated birthday.

jmonroe

• Options
    Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe
    We will cut your dues as a birthday gift. :smile:
    Hey guys, I think we have em on the ropes now. Is that offer good enough?

jmonroe

• Options
    dino001 said:
    The former may be true, but don't proclaim victory on 30 yard line after a 4-yard run. So far we have one industrial manufacturer after another announcing moving production overseas for those products that were affected by retaliatory tariffs (Hog, now Polaris). What do you think will happen after another self-proclaimed victory, or even if it actually does result in some kind of concessions months down the road? Do you think those guys will bring it back here after they just opened it in Poland, Czechia, or Romania and enjoy labor that costs quarter or less than here? Fat chance. This is what you get when you move without a plan, consideration, based on your own gut feeling and sycophants one page reports (as we heard repeatedly, one page is all the Genius needs).
    Just because you say it, it doesn't make it so. Worked were? So far I see higher steel prices and manufacturers leaving. How does that constitute working? Parallel universe?
    Well it did bring people to the table and it looks like things may well be worked out for the better. As for manufacturers leaving, they haven't yet, the best that they have done is started to look into possible relocation with few things, if anything, set in stone. They can very easily stay put.

• Options
    So, I am just finishing my lunch and the door bell rings. It is an eager young man holding a clip board.....this doesn't look good. His shirt says Terminex and he tells me they will be in our neighborhood tomorrow and if I have them do preventive work I get 50% off. Then he proceeds to tell me about every kind of vermin and insect they can protect me from. It was hard to stop him....being a polite Canadian. I told him if I ever had a problem with pests I will give them a call. I should have asked, How Can I Get You Removed From My Property? If I do have a problem, I will call them. They don't have to try and scare me into using their company. If, I do call someone, it won't be the company that has no respect for my time and life! :(
    They must be making the rounds. Same Terminex company came around ringing my door bell last week. From Cutco knives to pest control. Is it me?
    I experienced the oldest scam in the book. Guy knocks on my door wearing a safety vest and an ID badge (of sorts) saying that his company is doing some paving down the street and they have some leftover asphalt in case I wanted to repair my driveway. I said "you must be kidding" and closed the door in his face, and called the police before some poor old guy or lady gets robbed in the neighborhood.
    C'mon, be honest, wasn't the biggest tip off because you have a concrete driveway? :o jmonroe
    LOL! It actually is hard-packed gravel!
    Red Green states that that is the best type of driveway. By it's very nature its modular so it can easily be fixed but dumping more grave on it, kids can't play basketball on it, you can use the gravel as weapons against vermin and it alerts you of visitors by the sound of the tires on the gravel.