Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,555
    why would you pay for certification? It's just an extended warranty, and you never need those on your BMWs. seems like a waste of money if the car is clean.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    28i or 35i?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    qbrozen said:

Yes, the budget would have to hold. This won't work well for me. Haha. She says since I don't commute anymore, I should revisit the H3. That would be quite a shock to the system after driving the Alfa. I'm still digging into leases for her. Its exhausting. 

I thought about the QX60, but oncs you roll everything into it and bump it to 15k, it breaks the budget.

Swap cars with her for now, and then ponder your options a little more through the rest of winter.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Saab is back from it's oil change. Suspension and steering bits look like they're in order, but said I was overdue for an alignment. They did that and I'd say things are 80% better. They highly recommended repairing and refinishing at least two of my OEM Viggen rims or, alternatively, getting a different set that are less prone to bending.

Looking at swapping the OEMs out with these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-9-5-2006-2010-17-Factory-OEM-Wheels-Rims-Set/232307564251?hash=item36169c1edb:g:dE0AAOSwIzBazBhd:rk:6:pf:0
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153

Saab is back from it's oil change. Suspension and steering bits look like they're in order, but said I was overdue for an alignment. They did that and I'd say things are 80% better. They highly recommended repairing and refinishing at least two of my OEM Viggen rims or, alternatively, getting a different set that are less prone to bending.

Looking at swapping the OEMs out with these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-9-5-2006-2010-17-Factory-OEM-Wheels-Rims-Set/232307564251?hash=item36169c1edb:g:dE0AAOSwIzBazBhd:rk:6:pf:0

So, other bent wheels that have been refinished?
    Might as well fix the ones you have.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Previous owner refinished this set once before, from what I can tell from receipts. I called three places and because of the Hypersilver paint, average cost is $200/wheel to refinish, and $275 to straighten and refinish. The OEM Viggen wheels are often referred to as warm butter in terms of their tendency to bend, so even if I did do the refinishing, odds are one good pothole and one or more would be bent again.

I could likely sell these for $400-$500 even in their current shape for someone who just had to have the OEM look.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I thought about getting the G37 aligned, but it tracks perfectly straight (like a BMW) and the tire wear pattern is normal for that car—slightly more wear on the inside edges. 

That Tahoe has normal tire wear but the tires howl during low speed turns. I’m not sure if it’s alignment or just the normal suspension geometry combined with the knobby tires.  Not sure it’s worth investing in an alignment. At least I know the steering on it will be vague no matter how the alignment is set!  :p
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    speaking of X1s, she asked me about them tonight. She saw one on the road and thought it looked like a good size. SOOO... ex-loaners? There is a place in MD that advertises them right on their website for nearly 25% off. I gotta figure this out now.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

speaking of X1s, she asked me about them tonight. She saw one on the road and thought it looked like a good size. SOOO... ex-loaners? There is a place in MD that advertises them right on their website for nearly 25% off. I gotta figure this out now.

Let me know if you need help, Q, though you're pretty good at this yourself. There are also a few from our broker buddies over on Leasehackr, if you really don't feel like putting in the time.

I'm sure the 25% off includes incentives, but even still.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    CPO gets me additional cash off plus a rebate from BMW CCA and a low interest short-term loan. I end up getting the CPO coverage for free.
    And it’s a 28- no running for pinks. ☹️

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Let me know if you need help, Q, though you're pretty good at this yourself. There are also a few from our broker buddies over on Leasehackr, if you really don't feel like putting in the time.

I'm sure the 25% off includes incentives, but even still.

Thanks. I may take you up on that. Also have to find out what my wife gets through work. Would that be like Fleet or OL or whatever else people talk about with these fancy BMWs?
    Supposedly X2s have better numbers. I gotta get her to the dealer to try them on for size.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    DrivingfoolDrivingfool Member Posts: 227
    Beautiful X1!!
    Got home but took awhile longer as we hit a big traffic snag just north of West Palm Beach. Hate South Florida, lol!! We're home!! Empty living room as all her stuff is gone. She's here till Saturday as she left some stuff and she always has partial Thanksgiving here and then off to her best friends family around the corner. They've been buds since 1st grade and she was his "best woman" at his wedding and luckily the new wife and her are also old friends and are like family. So she always ends turkey day there. Friday she's got some errands and will go with me to get my headlight replaced. Does anyone in here know if their VW specific? She had got hers at Pep Boys and though we hardly ever go there, might try if someone answers my question that VW headlights can be bought almost anywhere.
    A little "chilly" in the house but that'll take time I guess. The queen bed at "my other bedroom" is her old one and a very good one. She got it in a warehouse place and it's a no-name one but it's as comfortable as my iSerta here at home. Sleeping was a non issue once we got some of those night lights that go on in the dark. I could see my way to the toilet at 3 am without breaking my neck, a good thing.

The Sandman/Driving Fool :)B)
  • Options
    qbrozen said:
    Let me know if you need help, Q, though you're pretty good at this yourself. There are also a few from our broker buddies over on Leasehackr, if you really don't feel like putting in the time. I'm sure the 25% off includes incentives, but even still.
    Thanks. I may take you up on that. Also have to find out what my wife gets through work. Would that be like Fleet or OL or whatever else people talk about with these fancy BMWs? Supposedly X2s have better numbers. I gotta get her to the dealer to try them on for size.
    Fleet is temporarily suspended through at least Q4. OL or BMWCCA only applies to new, not loaners or demos. 

X2 is really not selling so lots of opportunity. 
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Passport BMW in Maryland? If so one of the sales reps belongs to LH.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Whatever, have to get the headlamp fixed on Friday as it's unsafe, and probably a potential violation to have one out for an expended period of time. I leave in the dark and drive home in the dark so,a working headlamp is essential.
    Corvette, I'd think both vehicles should always be in correct alignment specs so as not to further damage any tread and to drive properly. The store they sent mine to did a great job after the February accident knocked it out...my 3 year policy ran out in May so not sure what I'll do going forward.
    Just discussing what to do Friday about the headlight...where to go? Been many years since this happened to me actually so have no real clue if Pep Boys can handle it. Should call VW Friday am and get some help.

• Options
    O K folks, where to go for a new VW Golf headlamp on Friday? Going back to Hertz on Monday so got all of Friday to get one. Help!!!

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

That's how I found them. But seems he hasn't posted in quite a while??

@28firefighter so no extra incentives at all? huh.

• Options
    Yeah I have not seen him post in a long time. There's also Faulkner BMW in Lancaster. I've noticed they typically have fairly decent discounts as well although it's safe to say this X1 that shows as 20% off includes all applicable rebates.

https://www.faulknerbmw.com/exotic-used/BMW/2018-BMW-X1-Lancaster-Pennsylvania-70958a3c0a0d0c1451da21a87886bf60.htm
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Actually the more I look at the one I linked the more I wouldn't mind it replacing the Altima. It's optioned well and I like the colors.
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Driving fool glad you made it home safe and sound from your trip to your daughter‘s new place. Q nice so what cars gonna leave the seat? I know you’ll have that X one in your driveway sooner than later, we before the end of the year. Driving fool it’s the whole headlamp assembly or just the bulb? We go to the dealer if just the bulbs. 
  • Options
     Yes driving for always something with a car and a house that’s life correct good advice you gave to your daughter. Some more than others but there’s always something, or do we have to do every day. Queue I like the idea of giving the wife your alpha and you getting something else, I think you should go for it, and then sell the town and country, or the land rover, which ever you guys decide to sell, or sell them both. 
  • Options
     Welcome back and congratulations on the three punches, I’m not going to even try to say your name with the voice dictation that I use but I’ll totally watch it up big time. But glad you to check in from time to time. 
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,555
    Sandy, if you don't have HID (Xenon) headlights, you should be able to get a bulb at the auto parts store.

here is a video that might help.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2016_Volkswagen_GTI_S_2.0L_4_Cyl._Turbo_Hatchback_(4_Door)/lights/headlight

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:
    Actually the more I look at the one I linked the more I wouldn't mind it replacing the Altima. It's optioned well and I like the colors.
    I like the colors. From what others have posted, it seems 20% BEFORE incentives is the target. Gotta watch for those miles, too. 25 cents a pop reduction in residual makes quite a difference. 

Our closest dealer has both an x1 and x2 for sale with demo models, so she'll swing over there soon. Maybe Friday.

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    That's how I found them. But seems he hasn't posted in quite a while?? @28firefighter so no extra incentives at all? huh.
    Whatever the lease credit is for the month, loyalty if you qualify, and grad rebate if you qualify. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    It used to be that the base BMW models got black plastic grilles, and only the ones with the more powerful engine got the chrome grills. But I'm seeing 28is with chrome grills and some of the sporty (large engine) models with blacked out grills. Not sure what they're doing, anymore.
  • Options
    Yeah 20% seems to be the rule of thumb but that seems to be getting harder to reach in some locales.

I also showed that X1 to my wife and while she likes it enough to take her own test drive, she also correctly pointed out this past year was an expensive year for us due to the back deck and windows and it benefits us to only have one car payment until we knock our HELOC down some. I can't disagree with her.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    pensfan83 said:

...this past year was an expensive year for us due to the back deck and windows...

I feel you, there. Since I've done new Hardieplank siding and replaced some concrete, I've pretty much resolved to see it through and renovate the rest of the house. Next up is a mini-split HVAC for the upstairs bedroom (which I use as an office) and some spray foam insulation. Probably windows, too... (It's a long shot, but I'm still trying to track down the successor to the company that made the windows installed in my house, which went bankrupt. I used to be able to buy replacement sashes from a company that bought their tooling, but they no longer make windows using that tooling, so SOL there. I found another company that appears to be making them, though. If that fails, I'll probably just look into doing replacements.)

Unfortunately, I don't think a garage renovation is feasible, beyond a coat of paint, a new window, and maybe a lighting upgrade. It would have to be torn down and replaced, and the lot isn't big enough to build what I'd want to replace it and still leave enough yard for my dog (it is her house, after all).
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    We’ve got the HELOC thing going too, as we completely remodeled a bathroom this year. Also preparing for a wedding next year. I think we will stick with our current vehicles as long as they remain trouble free. Though I will have to decide what to do when the Volt’s lease is up in a year.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
     Happy Thanksgiving everybody, thankful to be part of this group every day, not just today like to meet you all one day sooner than later. Do you want to do I smell a punch possibly tomorrow if your wife likes either of those cars. Haven’t heard from world in a while is he making any punches this weekend too? We just spent a Tonna money here on the house, at the redo the roof and all  in all the wood underneath in a few doors we never touch them in the 10 years that we were here needed to be done and these people behind the house before were supposedly in construction, everything they touched was a disaster I guess they were Ashanti construction company. Slowly fixing up everything here.    Today going to be home for Thanksgiving with some family, then tomorrow going upstate to my older brothers house for the weekend to see him in my nieces. Will see if we going out to any dealers and drive anything.   Also tomorrow but a try to meet up with the prior owner of my car, go and get a duplicate registration. 
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    RB...that blue is beautiful!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited November 2018
    corvette said:

Unfortunately, I don't think a garage renovation is feasible, beyond a coat of paint, a new window, and maybe a lighting upgrade. It would have to be torn down and replaced, and the lot isn't big enough to build what I'd want to replace it and still leave enough yard for my dog (it is her house, after all).

I feel you on that one. I really want to have a big storage building built in my back yard, but that just wouldn't leave enough running room for my 2 dogs. I need to get serious and throw away / give away / donate a bunch of junk. Unfortunately, like many others, I am better at accumulating than getting rid of.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    @28firefighter
    what do you know about volvo loaners? I've read so much back and forth on that other board between the 2 guys who always argue about volvos. Is there a limit on how many miles one can have to lease?
    My volvo dealer of choice has 2 loaner S60s. FWD T5. One is a dynamic and the other inscription. Their online price is about $11k off and $10k off, respectively. No idea how many miles because they don't state it. Looks like in one of the blurry pics, the dynamic MAY have 8k. That's A LOT for a loaner. BUUTTT... $37k discounted to $26k? Hmmm...

• Options
    Gobble Gobble folks! Everyone, enjoy!!
    Got an appointment at Pep Boys at 8 am and going back to work on Monday. Stick recommended me swap the other bulb and just get HID's going forward. Anyone else please, weigh in on this as not quite sure about headlights and all. Brighter is always very good butdon't want to blind oncoming traffic and have the pocketbook to think about. Last week was a bit expensive for me but well worth it. I got her set up and ready to fly on her own. Come Saturday afternoon, she's going home as she has things to do.
    As the headlights go, please give me a short education as to what way I should go here please. Don't mind spending a little more to improve increased light at night. But up to a break even point would be great. Have heard of different kinds of lighting but really have no clue after turning on the switch.
    Thanks in advance all. Hopefully Pep Boys will have exactly what I need.

• Options
    Interesting, the wife got an email from Audi telling her she can still get the next few services at a discounted price like we both did when we bought. Her warranty, the 5 year/45K runs out on 12/1, and she also said the service writer told her as much also. Is this really true? VW never told me that before the end of my 3/36K and probably would've actually done a couple more. Obviously, too late for me but her? Anyone else know this is true???
    Thanks again.

• Options
    I know very little about them. Apparently the dealer gets a set amount of money per punched car (eg the S90 was $2100) and there is a mileage deduction. 
  • Options
    I wrote back and forth with one of those fellas. Numbers are tighter than I would have thought, but it is possible. The 3 I found he was able to look at the history and rule out 2 of them based on miles. The last one will have about and $1800 deduct, but has the lowest MSRP. And not far from that dealer is a BMW dealer with an ex-loaner X2 with just 1k miles and in a GREAT color combo. Dark blue over mocha. 

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    I wrote back and forth with one of those fellas. Numbers are tighter than I would have thought, but it is possible. The 3 I found he was able to look at the history and rule out 2 of them based on miles. The last one will have about and $1800 deduct, but has the lowest MSRP. And not far from that dealer is a BMW dealer with an ex-loaner X2 with just 1k miles and in a GREAT color combo. Dark blue over mocha. 
    That’s the color combo we have on the X1 and it is indeed gorgeous. 
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of my US CCBA friends! Wishing you all a wonderful time with your loved ones today!

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

Stick recommended me swap the other bulb and just get HID's going forward. Anyone else please, weigh in on this as not quite sure about headlights and all. Brighter is always very good butdon't want to blind oncoming traffic and have the pocketbook to think about.
    As the headlights go, please give me a short education as to what way I should go here please. Don't mind spending a little more to improve increased light at night. But up to a break even point would be great. Have heard of different kinds of lighting but really have no clue after turning on the switch.
    Thanks in advance all. Hopefully Pep Boys will have exactly what I need.

The usual halogen bulbs get dimmer over time so it is recommended that they both get replaced. You can get all sorts of different bulbs but a general rule of thumb is that the brighter the bulb the shorter the bulb life so keep that in mind. I would get a quality name brand pair and not fret over it. You cannot get HID lights in a car that didn't originally have them without a whole lot of expense as other components need to be added first.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Here's a shot of the interior. Yes it's your typically somber Teutonic black cockpit. We like it- sport seats, brushed aluminum trim, and an M Sport wheel...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    That BMW is calling your name!! Go for it!!

• Options
    Gobble Gobble folks. Super Target was nuts so sat in the car. Folks were getting multiple t v's so my kid missed out on the special 55" one she wanted. Saw folks rolling out carts with multiple units and one group had to call a back up Escalade to bring home all their t v's! Crazy really.
    My oldest and the oldest went back to score the wife a new iPhone XR so we'll see. If they have a special on 2 of them, think they'll both do it. Hoping T-Mobile will have a deal as I want us all to change carriers in the near future and get unlimited data just so I can stop looking at how much we've used this month. I just want a Fitbit watch that can really tell the current time also as not always easy yo pull my smartphone out of my pocket or vest. They gave us those stupid looking neon vests to wear but I "usually" just forget. At least I leave it in the Golf now though. We always need our cell phones with us, a requirement, and a pen to write down mileage and amount of gas in the tank. But just want a simple one that can tell me the time when I look down at it. If not, forget it. Those Apple watches are plain too big to wear, at least for me and any email can wait until I pull my phone out on the side of the road or at a stop light. Too dangerous any other way really.
    We might be moving our data in the house to our current cable provider. 100 mbp's and only %29.99 added to our cable bill, which ain't bad for the speed they promise. Want to drop AT&T eventually all together. Lstly, the wife loaded our oldest up with some plastic large dinner plates and bowls plus a pack of 4 glass large glasses that have been sitting in a cabinet above the fridge for years, or at least since we moved in in 1987 as she said glass drinking glasses and kids do not mix well. Still up to date glassware after all this time and the kid is thrilled! She did o k for herself but now we both can sleep knowing she needs almost nothing now. It's tough for me to let go but hell, she's 34 already!!

• Options
    Target ran out of the watch and no iPhone as of yet. Another day tomorrow!
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I stay as far away from malls as possible! Just me, but T day for me is about family and appreciation. I can buy stuff some other day. Glad you enjoyed the madness. Each to their own. We are hanging out watching football, playing board games, and enjoying the beautiful weather.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Not worth it to save a few bucks.

Speaking of saving a few bucks, I'm getting some conflicting info, but I think it may be possible to score an ex-loaner S60 T5 FWD Dynamic for well under $300/mo.

I'll also have wifey try out an X2 and possibly Terrain SLT, if I can make the numbers work.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289
    Quite the quiet day here at the ol' ll household.

Only 3 of us here today, so kept it simple and made beef stew in the crock pot. Turkey and fixins will be on Saturday, when my stepson and his wife will be joining us.

Spent most of the day reading, watching football, and catching up on Edmunds posts. Even on a holiday, folks are still requesting lease numbers (hi @qbrozen!).

And, been doing some clandestine research on the pull ahead offer I got from my VW dealer.

Turns out I can likely lease a 2018 Passat SE for a few dollars less per month than I can a 2019 Jetta R-Line or SE.

But, both of those are a good $40-50/mo more than my current Jetta payment.

I smell a test drive in my future - maybe as early as tomorrow.

Sounds like everyone has had a great day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
     Agree with you what you wrote above 20 fire fighter. Enjoyed reading everything else above here folks. Had a nice quiet Thanksgiving home here with my younger brother, younger sister, her boyfriend, and my mom. Tomorrow morning bright and early going upstate to my older brothers for the weekend with the family. Can’t remember if I mentioned that in here yesterday probably did already. 
  • Options
    Michaell said:
    Quite the quiet day here at the ol' ll household. Only 3 of us here today, so kept it simple and made beef stew in the crock pot. Turkey and fixins will be on Saturday, when my stepson and his wife will be joining us. Spent most of the day reading, watching football, and catching up on Edmunds posts. Even on a holiday, folks are still requesting lease numbers (hi @qbrozen!). And, been doing some clandestine research on the pull ahead offer I got from my VW dealer. Turns out I can likely lease a 2018 Passat SE for a few dollars less per month than I can a 2019 Jetta R-Line or SE. But, both of those are a good $40-50/mo more than my current Jetta payment. I smell a test drive in my future - maybe as early as tomorrow. Sounds like everyone has had a great day.
    Well someone has to keep you employed! ;b