Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    ruking1 said:

Nobody's nuts enough to fight a land war with China.

Well no! That was what the Korean War was partially to all about. We killed 1M plus Chinese soldiers during that conflict. The Vietnam War had a large portion of China’s logistics. A lot of technical logistics was from then called USSR.
    Like I said...you'd have to be crazy to..........

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    edited February 2019

tyguy said:

driver100 said:

ruking1 said:

Are the “no speed limits” American states’ autobahns coming ? https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-autobahn-next-states-pushing-111617225.html

But, in Germany it can take years to get a license and most drivers know how to drive. Try driving on I-75 with a speed limit of 75, and tell me those people could drive on the Autobahn - it would look like a Russian Dash Cam video. :(
    And Germany is more aggressive in vehicle inspection to help insure vehicle degradation is not a liability. So, poor driver ed + poor vehicle maintenance + low driver discipline + high center of gravity SUVs and trucks + unlimited speed = winning. That's a math I don't understand.

I say we should do it and we can stay off the interstates while darwinism thins out the heard. It's a win for u
    s.

I don't mind the Darwin affect thinning the herd, it's only a problem when they take me out with them.

Last week these two motorcycle guys were zigzagging through traffic on a highway in Florida. After passing a car one motorcyclist clipped his friend, that sent his bike over the side of an overpass - he fell 100 feet to his death.
    Dash cam video

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomike said:

The forecast for the next few days is for gale-force winds due to a cold front moving south across South Florida. It's starting to blow pretty hard right now and will intensify as the front passes with winds hitting us from the northeast at 30-40 mph. Expected to last a few days. Interestingly enough, the temperatures are not going to be that much lower once the front passes - today in the mid to upper 80's, tomorrow and Wednesday, lower 80's. Go figure.

Keep your 30 to 40 mph winds down there........we have temps between 75 and 82 for the next week, could have thunderstorms Tues and Wed though. :'(

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited February 2019
    The dash cam link video does not link. Motorcycle fatality’s & accidents-injuries have been @ acknowledged @ epidemic levels. It is also acknowledged that we are at some of the SAFEST passenger vehicle fleet levels & TIMES since they’ve been in recording this. https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx. STATES (upper right hand click area)

It’s not likely that you’ll be involved, unless you like to drive creating accident potential type situations. Most fatalities/accident-injuries happen within a 25 mile radius of one’s home! I would also guess that most people drive in their own state which can make a state way worse to way better than the averages. Unless of course, one drives in all 50 states,
  • Options

There was Rome, then England, then the U.S. and. . .

Did you Know? China has put down more concrete in the last three years than all the concrete used by the USA in the entire 20th century. :s
    Are you working for the Chinese now?
    We'll have to get an investigation going.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    driver100 said:
    tyguy said:
    Are the “no speed limits” American states’ autobahns coming ? https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-autobahn-next-states-pushing-111617225.html
    But, in Germany it can take years to get a license and most drivers know how to drive. Try driving on I-75 with a speed limit of 75, and tell me those people could drive on the Autobahn - it would look like a Russian Dash Cam video. :(
    And Germany is more aggressive in vehicle inspection to help insure vehicle degradation is not a liability. So, poor driver ed + poor vehicle maintenance + low driver discipline + high center of gravity SUVs and trucks + unlimited speed = winning. That's a math I don't understand.
    I say we should do it and we can stay off the interstates while darwinism thins out the heard. It's a win for us.
    I don't mind the Darwin affect thinning the herd, it's only a problem when they take me out with them. Last week these two motorcycle guys were zigzagging through traffic on a highway in Florida. After passing a car one motorcyclist clipped his friend, that sent his bike over the side of an overpass - he fell 100 feet to his death. Dash cam video
    That's why I said we stay off the interstate until the herd thins out.

Sad about the cyclist, it is always a small percentage that give the rest a bad name.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

The forecast for the next few days is for gale-force winds due to a cold front moving south across South Florida. It's starting to blow pretty hard right now and will intensify as the front passes with winds hitting us from the northeast at 30-40 mph. Expected to last a few days. Interestingly enough, the temperatures are not going to be that much lower once the front passes - today in the mid to upper 80's, tomorrow and Wednesday, lower 80's. Go figure.

Keep your 30 to 40 mph winds down there........we have temps between 75 and 82 for the next week, could have thunderstorms Tues and Wed though. :'(
    Hold on to your too-pay !
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Interstates are actually very safe. I know the Interstate 5 between OR to Los Angeles, CA is almost boringly safe. One has to be very dangerous or work hard to get into or cause a fatality/accident-injury.

The motorcycle “death “ link this is actually very good? That link would imply that the perp might have gotten their just rewards, & so it didn’t involve anybody else!?

A motorcycle RANGE: it’s almost like a man with a tiny bladder having to go # 1 every 20 minutes. Most riders are totally tired after 180 miles.
  • Options
    It's certainly boring.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    abacomike said:

Do you want sympathy for the 40 mph winds? Or the 80 deg?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    Just a few months ago I almost got rear ended because I had the audacity to stop for a school bus that had stopped to pick up some children. Looking in my rear view mirror I could tell he was pissed about it. Shame on me for being so inconsiderate. 

When I was driving I witnessed a number of accidents where the first car stopped for my bus and got rear ended by the second.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Both!  :p

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Well it's better than 80 mph winds and 40 degrees, right?
  • Options
    abacomike said:

We’ve had those same winds up here but with mid 20s temperatures it feels like the deep freeze. On top of that people are losing power so no heat. Lot of wires down. Thaankfully the leaves are off most trees so mainly dead wood is falling.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I am in Orlando right now instead of South Florida and we had a slight wind today over in Port Orange and New Smyrna Beach but nothing to speak of. It was a coolish breeze but the sun was out and temps were in the high 70's.
    My wife works for Turbo Tax as a CPA, her 4th year there now. So many folks just do not read which is 90% of their issues. A computer program can't think, it takes whatever the person types in and does it's thing. Folks just aren't puting in the right info most of the time!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

abacomike said:

We’ve had those same winds up here but with mid 20s temperatures it feels like the deep freeze. On top of that people are losing power so no heat. Lot of wires down. Thaankfully the leaves are off most trees so mainly dead wood is falling.
    and Mike thinks he has it bad!

• Options
    I forgot to mention, I think the $1 charge for gas happens this way. At some stations they ask to authorize your VISA payment......they have your card and they test it by charging you $1........to get authorized though I have to put in my ZIP code.

The fraudsters probably put my stolen card number into the reader, got charged $1 to authorize, didn't have my ZIP code, so couldn't buy gas.

It would be interesting if the fraud squad checked video at the time of the sale in MacDonalds, Cornbread, or the gas station....but, no one cares - just write it off.

• Options
    The credit card companies do not publish fraud data @ fuel pumps.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Both!  :p

Fuhgeddabout it! :D

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

I am in Orlando right now instead of South Florida and we had a slight wind today over in Port Orange and New Smyrna Beach but nothing to speak of. It was a coolish breeze but the sun was out and temps were in the high 70's.
    My wife works for Turbo Tax as a CPA, her 4th year there now. So many folks just do not read which is 90% of their issues. A computer program can't think, it takes whatever the person types in and does it's thing. Folks just aren't puting in the right info most of the time!

My CPA says Turbo Tax is the best thing that ever happened to him--but I think what he meant is what you just said--people don't use it correctly and create a big steaming pile.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,332
    edited February 2019
    The last taxing reporting statement I was waiting for became available a few days ago.
    It's 25 pages long, although a lot of pages don't have numbers. I'll give to my CPA.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,332
    One of the cars magazines has a long term Stinger. Latest installment notes that the log book has very few comments. Doesn't seem to evoke any opinions.
    We had a rental Santa Fe over the weekend. Nothing to really like or hate. biggest impressions, rear hatch was very light, suspension pretty compliant.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I'd almost rather have a car that made me furious than blase. Spend $40 to $50k on a car that emits no emotion, that is the real waste of money.
    I get real pleasure from the $25000 2014 C250....probably more enjoyable than a new Stinker.

• Options
    What kind of mpg do you get from your 2015 MB GLK 350?
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,571
    ruking1 said:

How many Benz owners do you know that care about gas mileage? I don't know of any myself. FWIW, MPG has never been the slightest consideration with any car I have EVER owned and none have been MB's.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    So we’re not allowed to even ask the question?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

ruking1 said:

How many Benz owners do you know that care about gas mileage? I don't know of any myself. FWIW, MPG has never been the slightest consideration with any car I have EVER owned and none have been MB's.

jmonroe
    @ least 94 MB GLK 350 owners on fuelly.com. & obviously not you, as a self professed NON MB owner. So if you don’t care, & not a MB owner, let alone a GLK 350 owner, why do you care that the question was posed?
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Hanoi morning traffic probably the worst in the world. Bikes and cars run red lights, drive through no entries and do not stop for pedestrians.
    https://youtu.be/LXH77nw-1bk
  • Options
    suydam said:

Ask all you want but but unless you plan to buy one, why?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,179
    I've had 7 MBs, mileage kind of matters, but isnt' a priority. However, it is one key factor keeping me away from a G-Wagen.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,447
    jmonroe1 said:

suydam said:

jmonroe
    Are you trying to bully simple curiosity?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    I’ve owned several MBs, and I care about fuel efficiency enough to calculate it with every fillup. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    I'm taking my Legacy to the shop today to get the rear bumper cover replaced. My insurance company insists I use Enterprise for a rental. When I talked to Enterprise they asked what brand, model, and year my car is.

Why would they need to know that? It has no bearing on anything. I asked and the lady just said it's a question on the form she is using. I suspect it's a question my insurance company wants them to ask...at least I hope that's it.

She also said I will have to provide a credit card. Why? I'm not paying for the rental.

I might just rent one from the dealer.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

suydam said:

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 is a kind and benevolent ruler but don’t ask questions not sanction by the party. :s

• Options
    venture said:

I'm taking my Legacy to the shop today to get the rear bumper cover replaced. My insurance company insists I use Enterprise for a rental. When I talked to Enterprise they asked what brand, model, and year my car is.

Why would they need to know that? It has no bearing on anything. I asked and the lady just said it's a question on the form she is using. I suspect it's a question my insurance company wants them to ask...at least I hope that's it.

She also said I will have to provide a credit card. Why? I'm not paying for the rental.

You should hear some of the interrogations that go on in our offices. I assume that some of it is to try to match you with a car you’ll be happy with but other questions sound designed to detect suspicious or even criminal intent. Drug dealer routinely rent cars to make deliveries so if caught their personal car isn’t seized. Also, I can see them asking young people things like where they are going in case they’re renting a car just to beat up in street races down the block.

Then again, maybe they sell your info to car dealers so you can get junk mail.

• Options
    venture said:

Like OF I’m guessing they’re trying to match your current car with the rental as best as possible. The credit card is in case you damage the rental.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    ruking1 said:

Good question......I have no idea. My wife drives it 99% of the time and she never resets the odometer. My 2017 E400 gets 26 US mpg and the 2014 C250 gets 29 US mpg.
    I am satisfied with those numbers, and my guess is the GLK is a little heavier than the C250, but the engine isn't as efficient as the E400...if I was to guess I would say 24 or 25 mpg. It has the same engine as my 2015 E350 and that is what it got.

What would you think ruking and why are you asking?
    You have to learn to ignore jmonroe1 sometimes. Just be thankful he hasn't told any really long stories lately. He is also upset because his Genesis....his Mercedes wannabe car, isn't known for getting great mileage, which is one reason it is a wannabe.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

ruking1 said:

jmonroe
    I don't worry about gas mileage too much but I don't like to intentionally waste gas, and I like a car to be efficient. But, 2 or 3 gallons difference won't be a deal breaker, other factors are much more important.

Having a car that is fun to drive and that is efficient just adds to the pleasure of owning it. Once I was tempted to get a G wagon which gets about 12 mpg at the time....that would bother me.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    qbrozen said:

I’ve owned several MBs, and I care about fuel efficiency enough to calculate it with every fillup. 

Me too!

Since I enjoy the way the car rides and handles, the safety features, the design, the ergonomics, etc.,..I get even more satisfaction knowing it uses fuel efficiently.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    I'd say quite a bit less. It has the aerodynamics of a brick, after all. Was your E350 AWD?

Unrelated, but sort of related, best I have done thus far with the 2018 330xi is a bit over 25mpg. I'm hardly ever gentle with it, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    venture said:

I think they try to match you up with a similar car, because that is what the insurance company wants you to have.
    They want your credit card in case something goes wrong with collecting from the insurance company and if for some reason there are additional charges...say you use the rental longer than they will pay for....or you damage it.

I think their requests are fair and in line.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I'd say quite a bit less. It has the aerodynamics of a brick, after all. Was your E350 AWD?

Unrelated, but sort of related, best I have done thus far with the 2018 330xi is a bit over 25mpg. I'm hardly ever gentle with it, though.

Yes, the E350 was AWD and is pretty heavy too. Although the GLK is shaped like a brick.....part of the charm and something we like about it....the boxy styling, I don't think it affects gas mileage at speeds up to about 70 mph which would be the absolute maximum my wife would go in it. I haven't looked it up but I THINK, the E350 is heavier than the GLK.

• Options
    driver100 said:

venture said:

I think they try to match you up with a similar car, because that is what the insurance company wants you to have.
    They want your credit card in case something goes wrong with collecting from the insurance company and if for some reason there are additional charges...say you use the rental longer than they will pay for....or you damage it.

Yeah. I agree. I rarely rent a car and it seemed more complicated than the last time I did it.

I ended up with a Murano. Actually, for an SUV, it's pretty nice. It has all the doo-das and gee-haws.

I'll be glad when the Legacy is finished.

• Options

venture said:

You should hear some of the interrogations that go on in our offices. I assume that some of it is to try to match you with a car you’ll be happy with but other questions sound designed to detect suspicious or even criminal intent. Drug dealer routinely rent cars to make deliveries so if caught their personal car isn’t seized. Also, I can see them asking young people things like where they are going in case they’re renting a car just to beat up in street races down the block.

Then again, maybe they sell your info to car dealers so you can get junk mail.

I bet you could write a book.

I took the Murano and before I got home I noticed a scraping noise coming from under the car. I took it back, a guy crawled under it, and he brought out a tree branch. :o

• Options
    tyguy said:

venture said:

Like OF I’m guessing they’re trying to match your current car with the rental as best as possible. The credit card is in case you damage the rental.
    Makes sense.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    I always had to give ID like that even for a dealer loaner. For free wheels, seems like a fair trade!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

suydam said:

jmonroe
    Who me? You should know I don't operate like that. It's not like I called the guy a cheapskate idiot. I was just asking a simple question since no reason was given for asking.

jmonroe
  • Options
    venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

Yeah. I agree. I rarely rent a car and it seemed more complicated than the last time I did it.

I ended up with a Murano. Actually, for an SUV, it's pretty nice. It has all the doo-das and gee-haws.

I'll be glad when the Legacy is finished.
    I guess I missed the reason you had to have the bumper cover replaced. Can you please say why one more time.

Thanks, a fellow PA tax payer.

jmonroe
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

suydam said:

jmonroe
    Who me? You should know I don't operate like that. It's not like I called the guy a cheapskate idiot. I was just asking a simple question since no reason was given for asking.

jmonroe
    Fuel economy is a factor in acquiring information about particular cars. Didn’t think we needed any other reason. One of the reasons I like this site is that I learn a lot about all kinds of cars, most of which I’m never going to own. I just like cars.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Fuel economy is never a concern for my “fun” cars, but I do pay more attention with respect to my daily drivers- that’s why my Clubman is perfect for that role as it posts great fuel economy numbers and is still entertaining enough that I don’t mind driving it.  

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive