Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,563

However, I'll give the couple a BIG cash gift if they will just elope and be done with it.

Good strategy, and that's my preference if I ever get married, as well. For me, a traditional wedding is kind of like dividing by zero in mathematics - the venue I'd prefer (the Speed Museum) requires you to use their contracted caterer, which is a fine enough place, but I'd want my local pub (which also does catering) to handle my reception. A complete non-starter!

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

60-70 Edmunds friends and their +1? At $40/per, that's going to be an expensive reception. :D

$40 per? I don’t think you’ve priced wedding receptions lately.
    To say the least. I’m 7 years removed and you aren’t getting catering from chick-fil-a for that kinda $$.
    A cousin worked for CFA and had CFA nuggets as an app, but traditional Irish stuff as the main course. It was a booze free wedding, but I repeatedly threatened my mom I would bring a flask... ;)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 13,255
    Test Drive Update: It turns out the Giulia was the only car I ended up driving. The Toyota dealer didn't allow test drives of the Supra. Only if you bought one. Insanity, and that dealer is off my list. We let people test drive just about anything at BMW. Over at Hyundai they had only one veloster N, and it had two strikes against it: it was black and it didn't have the Performance package which gets you 25 more hp, summer rubber, and a locking front differential.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,831
    Weddings in the Southwest (AZ) back in the '60s & '70s didn't include the ostentatious receptions with a band and sit-down dinner to the tune of many thousands of dollars. It was common for the bride's family to provide a simple buffet at the family home or the church that cost next to nothing, compared to what Eastern weddings did. As I aged, I learned that Eastern weddings cost what amounted to a significant down payment on a house. I was stunned then, and still am.

Yeah, I know -- OK boomer, and a Western one at that -- OMG.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,549
    My daughter's wedding was over 30k, but I wrote a few checks and it was done.
    Was pretty fun, except me having to make a speech and dancing solo with my daughter.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 13,255

Weddings in the Southwest (AZ) back in the '60s & '70s didn't include the ostentatious receptions with a band and sit-down dinner to the tune of many thousands of dollars. It was common for the bride's family to provide a simple buffet at the family home or the church that cost next to nothing, compared to what Eastern weddings did. As I aged, I learned that Eastern weddings cost what amounted to a significant down payment on a house. I was stunned then, and still am.

Yeah, I know -- OK boomer, and a Western one at that -- OMG.

I agree; I would take the cash every time..

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 8,989

My daughter's wedding was over 30k, but I wrote a few checks and it was done.
    Was pretty fun, except me having to make a speech and dancing solo with my daughter.

So, you don't know how to talk or dance. Yep, you're perfectly suited for writing checks. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 27,601
    Good god. $200/mo all in for a Tacoma double cab v6 SR on a 39/12k term. Insane. And very very tempting.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 10,450
    IIRC our wedding was nearly $200 a head. That was on a Friday night. Saturday night was more expensive. Quite honestly the venue is only one cost.

Flowers, transportation, pictures, dress, tuxedo, favors, bridal party gifts..... the list goes on.

I think if you count the honeymoon ours was over $50K all in.

Now we did get nearly 20K in gifts, but still, that's a lot of cash.

We paid for about 2/3 of ours out of our own pocket.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

qbrozen said:

Good god. $200/mo all in for a Tacoma double cab v6 SR on a 39/12k term. Insane. And very very tempting.

Where's the proof. :o

jmonroe

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 156,143
    edited December 2019
    corvette said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

60-70 Edmunds friends and their +1? At $40/per, that's going to be an expensive reception. :D

$40 per? I don’t think you’ve priced wedding receptions lately.
    To say the least. I’m 7 years removed and you aren’t getting catering from chick-fil-a for that kinda $$.
    A cousin worked for CFA and had CFA nuggets as an app, but traditional Irish stuff as the main course. It was a booze free wedding, but I repeatedly threatened my mom I would bring a flask... ;)
    Last wedding I paid for was my own, in 1993. ;)

Just one son, so I’ll only be on the hook for the rehearsal dinner and tuxes. Current girlfriend (his, not mine) has a doctor for a father. :D

No engagement yet, though..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

qbrozen said:

What?!? Where? The Tahoe has made it obvious it’s not going to last forever, and I just paid off the G. Just saying!
    @jmonroe sorry, I sent the rest of the Santa money to my mortgage servicer. Imagine making it so frustrating to pay extra that someone writes out a paper check and mails it! They made it unclear whether it would cancel out next month's autopay, then sent me to a sketchy third party website which demanded my bank info (which they should already have due to the autopay). Never mind, I'd rather just practice my handwriting skills and mail a check!
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,920
    qbrozen said:

If it makes a difference you now get a power driver's seat starting with the TRD models. I think the touchscreen is bigger too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • fintailfintail Posts: 50,754
    Weddings, what a racket. My parents simply eloped, and did it the roadburner way, pocketed some money instead.

My sister's first wedding cost a small fortune, as she got caught up in the hype, and the groom's family bankrolled a lot of it (bootstrapping, building it yourself, and so on). She learned her lesson by the second one, which cost maybe 1/10th of the first one (much better husband this time around, too).
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

What?!? Where? The Tahoe has made it obvious it’s not going to last forever, and I just paid off the G. Just saying!
    Philadelphia is my guess. There's a broker there that has some great Toyota deals, particularly on Tundra and Tacomas.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road DC - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,541

A couple of friends have sons and when they got married in both cases the bride's family expected them to share the cost of the wedding as well as pay for the rehearsal dinner. I told my son that if/when he gets married we aren't paying for the wedding. However, I'll give the couple a BIG cash gift if they will just elope and be done with it.

Typical nowadays is a 50-50 split, or maybe the bride and groom pick up some of the tab since they tend to be older and more established these days tha when we were young. The old days where the bride’s family paid for nearly everything aren’t as common anymore.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    pensfan83 said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Philadelphia is my guess. There's a broker there that has some great Toyota deals, particularly on Tundra and Tacomas.
    Willing to get a plane ticket if the deals are better there, though I’d prefer a Tundra. Just need the manufacturer’s certificate of origin to get it inspected here.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,549
    To me buying a Tpyota truck is like buying a new Model T.
    There is a new Tundra on the horizon, so if you can wait, there may blow out the old gen deals.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    Tacoma was new in 2016, I think. Agree on the Tundra.
    corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Willing to get a plane ticket if the deals are better there, though I’d prefer a Tundra. Just need the manufacturer’s certificate of origin to get it inspected here.
    Looks like Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmaxes can be had for under $300/month for 24/10. Most of the Tundra deals seem to range from the high $200s to around $330-$350 depending on equipment level.

Tacoma was new in 2016 and was "refreshed" for 2020. They added AA/CarPlay, bigger touchscreen, power drivers seat on TRD and up models, new grilles, wheels on some trim, and Army Green as a color. I think HID lights are an option, as is an under truck camera on the TRD Off Road and Pro.
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Yes, Philly broker on LH forum. $176/mo + tax, tags, $141 doc fee. So, for NJ, I came up with $200, give or take depending on exact DMV fee (I plugged in $350).

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• jpp75jpp75 DenverPosts: 1,429
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Yes, Philly broker on LH forum. $176/mo + tax, tags, $141 doc fee. So, for NJ, I came up with $200, give or take depending on exact DMV fee (I plugged in $350).
    Wow. Is that 4WD? Even if it's not that's a great deal. I'd like a few extra options than the SR5 provides but that's still impressive.
    jpp75 said:

qbrozen said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Wow. Is that 4WD? Even if it's not that's a great deal. I'd like a few extra options than the SR5 provides but that's still impressive.
    Yes, 4x4. $34k’ish MSRP.

I believe the SR5 can be had for $25/mo more

• stickguystickguy Posts: 37,550
    yes I would be tempted by that deal to have as the spare/2nd car (AKA my car) if my wife had something nice that we could use as the everyday and travel car.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

weddings? only bigger scam/ripoff going is funerals. At least with a wedding the guest of honor (sorta) remembers it.

I have told my daughter for years that I think everyone should just go to vegas and get married at the Elvis chapel, then have a nice house party when they get home. I am finally almost done paying off the HELOC from paying the bulk of the college costs, no way am I going into hock or wiping out my reserve fund to pay that kind of money for a wedding. If they want to go over the top, they can figure out how to pay for it.

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 3,321
    Dad gave each of my sisters a generous check and hoped they would use it wisely. They did and managed to have a very nice special occasion.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

stickguy said:

weddings? only bigger scam/ripoff going is funerals. At least with a wedding the guest of honor (sorta) remembers it.

At least with funerals, they are regulated, most states require the pricing to be clearly disclosed, and they are generally cheaper than weddings. Also, any given person is only ever going to be the party being honored at one funeral, which isn't necessarily true for weddings.

IIRC, both my cousin's daughters were handed a check and told they could keep whatever they didn't spend, and they both had very simple barn weddings on the family farm.
    Funerals are at least cheaper!

tjc78 said:

Funerals are at least cheaper!

You owe me a Coke! :p
    corvette said:

@jmonroe sorry, I sent the rest of the Santa money to my mortgage servicer. Imagine making it so frustrating to pay extra that someone writes out a paper check and mails it! They made it unclear whether it would cancel out next month's autopay, then sent me to a sketchy third party website which demanded my bank info (which they should already have due to the autopay). Never mind, I'd rather just practice my handwriting skills and mail a check!

I know I'm showing my(our) age but we don't autopay anything, nothing. Nor do we do any financial stuff on line. Our sons think we are way too old fashioned but we made it this far so I can't see us changing now. As much as Mrs. j hates writing checks (probably a dozen a month) she, just like me, can't give some box somewhere our account numbers. I personally don't get it but I know the rest of the world gets it.

jmonroe

well, JM, every time you write a check, you are giving the recipient your account numbers.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 149,982
    stickguy said:

well, JM, every time you write a check, you are giving the recipient your account numbers.

And, the routing number, too!

Not sure I see what the difference is. I write maybe one or two checks a month.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

I agree but I think there is much less of a chance it will be blabed all over the internet.

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

I agree but I think there is much less of a chance it will be blabed all over the internet.

jmonroe
    You think people with green eyeshades are recording your payments into a ledger with a fountain pen?

Everything ends up on-line, eventually, and data breaches are a fact of life.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Even written checks are scanned in to their computers. My statements have images of the checks I have written.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 14,031
    Went skiing with my family today at Windham Mountain located in upstate, NY about 2 1/2 hours from my house. As always, the Pilot was up to the task. 2 kids in row 2, 1 in the 3rd along with boots, helmets, poles, & snow pants. Skis secured to the roof on my (close to) 15 year old Thule Rack. DVD player kept the kiddos entertained while Rebecca and I were kept as comfortable as 2 people in their mid 40s who spent the majority of the day using muscles and ligaments that don’t normally get used. We even got some mud on our meaty B/F Goodrich tires.

Lots of SUVs in the parking lot along with a bunch of pick up trucks (Friggin Raptor is so damn cool). I saw 2, 1st generation Audi TT Coupes with steel wheels, wheel covers, snow tires, & a roof rack. The design of that car still looks sharp to me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    You think people with green eyeshades are recording your payments into a ledger with a fountain pen?

I guess I'll have to slow down the process as long as I can.

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I've got it! If you don't pay your bills, they won't ever get that information from you.

:sunglasses:

I hate writing checks... unfortunately I have to pay our daughter’s school with one and actually have one bill that can’t be paid online directly I write one for.

I have several on auto pay as well.

Like mentioned all check processing is digital anyway so it’s “on the Internet” whether you want it or not.

I also love that with mobile deposit I almost never have to go to the bank.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 12,883
    Michaell said:

Not sure I see what the difference is. I write maybe one or two checks a month.

I write maybe 1 or 2 checks a year. I ordered checks with my new address when I bought this place in '97. Still working on using the last of them. Probably used the majority of them in the first 5 years.

You've made me think about the evolution of my bill-paying routine. Like everyone my age I started by writing checks and mailing them to the biller. Spent a lot on stamps and envelopes. When ATMs came along I used them to pay as many bills as possible, stick the bill payment stub in the ATM envelope with the payment receipt and feed it to the machine. As soon as online payments came along I was all over them. Night and day difference.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,244

A couple of friends have sons and when they got married in both cases the bride's family expected them to share the cost of the wedding as well as pay for the rehearsal dinner. I told my son that if/when he gets married we aren't paying for the wedding. However, I'll give the couple a BIG cash gift if they will just elope and be done with it.

Told my son the same. I won’t pay for a large wedding. I would buy a round trip flight for two to Europe and a one week hotel stay, though.

2019 Kia Stinger GT2
    Used to be the check routing system returned the physical checks to your bank, and you'd get the cancelled checks back in the mail with your statement. If memory serves, the banks had discussed moving to an electronic system for some time, but were forced to make the change quickly when flights were grounded after 9/11.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 6,687
    All this talk of weddings is giving me PTSD.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
    Digital banking...a boon for consumers but it's created a number of challenges on the compliance side. I personally use both traditional and digital channels.
    Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I've got it! If you don't pay your bills, they won't ever get that information from you.

:sunglasses:
    I never thought of that but it could work. I don't care one iota about my credit rating going to zero. Only one shaky thing I'm a little concerned with..do you think they'd put an old man in debtors prison for the duration? Especially since he had such a good track record for so long. :o

jmonroe

All this talk of weddings is giving me PTSD.

What are you talking about, maybe 10 years, at most? I've had it a hellava lot longer than that. :'(

jmonroe