Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    stickguy said:

I am way ahead of the game. I got cash out (covered my DAS and at least 1 payment), and out of any potential dispo fee next year (not figuring to be leasing another acura). And have now banked 2 payments I think.

and considering in almost 2 months, I have not had any need for a 2nd car so really would have barely touched it, it did work out perfectly. I also don't expect that our needs will change before year end (wife won't be going back to her office until at least end of Q1 at this point) so should easily be able to stretch into next year, pocketing the savings. And if I really suddenly needed another new car, I could go lease something for a lower payment sign and drive, and not be any worse off.

I wish I would have had your patience. I could have banked the $1400 profit and 3 payments on the Crosstrek now. I too will not be going back regularly until after January it looks like.

True we are enjoying the extra room of the Land Cruiser and its comfort on road trips, if I would have held out for a year end deal I would have banked over 3k counting insurance savings over these last few months. I honestly can’t think of a single time when only having one car would have been a problem. Heck we probably would have saved even more since I couldn’t make random trips to the grocery store to pick up this and that!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

So my Cincinnati dealer received a 2017 M2; three pedals and the Executive Package. 25k miles. White, but I could add the M Performance stripe kit to amp the appearance up a bit.
    Then I saw the Carfax; FIVE owners- starting in Hawaii.
    No thanks.

Maybe they were all intimidated by it’s performance.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

2019. Low miles. Sharp looking. Hope it sells soon. I feel guilty about it.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1539595

It’s those black wheels that’s holding it back.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    au1994 said:

stickguy said:

I am way ahead of the game. I got cash out (covered my DAS and at least 1 payment), and out of any potential dispo fee next year (not figuring to be leasing another acura). And have now banked 2 payments I think.

and considering in almost 2 months, I have not had any need for a 2nd car so really would have barely touched it, it did work out perfectly. I also don't expect that our needs will change before year end (wife won't be going back to her office until at least end of Q1 at this point) so should easily be able to stretch into next year, pocketing the savings. And if I really suddenly needed another new car, I could go lease something for a lower payment sign and drive, and not be any worse off.

I wish I would have had your patience. I could have banked the $1400 profit and 3 payments on the Crosstrek now. I too will not be going back regularly until after January it looks like.

True we are enjoying the extra room of the Land Cruiser and its comfort on road trips, if I would have held out for a year end deal I would have banked over 3k counting insurance savings over these last few months. I honestly can’t think of a single time when only having one car would have been a problem. Heck we probably would have saved even more since I couldn’t make random trips to the grocery store to pick up this and that!
    that is a bit different. a rare car you have to get when it appears. I would do that if something I dreamed about fell in my lap. But not a new car I don't need!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

breld said:

You timed it so well, getting rid of the TLX at peak prices when you didn't need to replace it.

I thought any of you guys who sold at the top of the market were brilliant. I think by now the ship has sailed or at least is casting off from the dock. I regret that I didn’t have any desireable cars to sell that I could do without to sell.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027

stickguy said:

It’s those black wheels that’s holding it back.
    I think they're actually graphite grey, and at least they are glossy. I have come to be able to tolerate gloss black wheels, but ones that are a matte finish are no-go for me.

On the plus side, I notice this one has two key fobs. :wink:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

almost makes up for missing out on the TDI buyback windfalls.

Rare for me to be on the right side of a situation like this!

Hoovie got a car Fintail should have jumped on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsEkxTjsYI

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    stickguy said:

Hoovie got a car Fintail should have jumped on!

It will be for sale soon enough... Plus, at that point, it will have probably been fully sorted by the Weezard.
    I would buy one that had the weezard magic worked on it.

I predict this one needs motor mounts and Guibos. And probably a few random leaks fixed and worn out parts replaced.

but it does sound cool with the side exhaust.

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    stickguy said:

Why is has the basic warranty expired as stated in the listing? I thought Acura has a 4 year
    it does. BtoB goes through 12/2022 or 50K miles. then 2 years powertrain.

must be a data entry goof.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    Member needs help understand sales tax when trading in a lease with positive equity:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/63725/bmw/x/sales-tax-credit-applicable#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I threw in my opinion.

stickguy said:

I threw in my opinion.

Much appreciated.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    mjfloyd1 said:

So my Cincinnati dealer received a 2017 M2; three pedals and the Executive Package. 25k miles. White, but I could add the M Performance stripe kit to amp the appearance up a bit.
    No thanks.

CarGurus ad says three owners but when you click on north Cincinnati dealer ad and carfax it shows five owners. Looks like really low miles in Hawaii and the last owner in Maryland put more miles on it.
    College friend has lived on the Big Island in HI for 35 years. Moved there after graduation on a whim. Never looked back.

Only downside, is what they call Island fever. Even on the Big Island, you can cover its entire road mass in an afternoon. Of course, each view along the way is stunningly beautiful. So, there’s that consolation.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

mjfloyd1 said:

No thanks.

CarGurus ad says three owners but when you click on north Cincinnati dealer ad and carfax it shows five owners. Looks like really low miles in Hawaii and the last owner in Maryland put more miles on it.
    College friend has lived on the Big Island in HI for 35 years. Moved there after graduation on a whim. Never looked back.

Only downside, is what they call Island fever. Even on the Big Island, you can cover its entire road mass in an afternoon. Of course, each view along the way is stunningly beautiful. So, there’s that consolation.
    My brother and his family have visited the Big Island for a week or two on a couple of different occasions. What you say is exactly what they said. The last time they went 2 or 3 years ago they were a bit troubled by what they saw among some of the locals, and didn't feel as safe as they had on the first trip.

ab348 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

No thanks.

My brother and his family have visited the Big Island for a week or two on a couple of different occasions. What you say is exactly what they said. The last time they went 2 or 3 years ago they were a bit troubled by what they saw among some of the locals, and didn't feel as safe as they had on the first trip.
    Yeah...some locals (those who are descended from the Monarchy) are quite vocal about their displeasure with those who aren’t “native”. Kinda silly, really, given the U.S. is made up of a hodge pudge of people of different lineages.

That said, there are a lot of natives who own a lot of very valuable land, and have for generations. So, they wield a bit of power in doing so. The vast majority like being a part of the U.S.A., for no other reason than they would be in a constant state of attack if they were left to defend themselves.

My friend has a small house (2BR, 1 Full Bath, 900 sq ft) near a private beach. Bought it for the “outrageous” sum of $230K in the mid ‘80s. It’s now worth around $2M.
    ab348 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

No thanks.

The Hawaii tourists see is a fantasy. We went there on our honeymoon in 1976. Our tour guide was a big local guy who was as friendly as could be. One day we walked into the lobby of a nearby hotel to witness him beating the heck out of some stranger with whom he’d had an altercation. Totally different picture.

For the guys who didn’t strike while the iron was hot......

https://youtu.be/e7mehz2W85g

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756

For the guys who didn’t strike while the iron was hot......

don't know why, but I really enjoyed the video. Good information with a... what, "real?" "wholesome?" presentation. It resonated, and is one of the few 15-minute YouTube videos I think I let play all the way through without skipping around.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I liked it too. And pointed out what I am surprised is still something dealers do. Just like the market is what it is when you want to trade in (and it does not matter what you paid or what you owe), what the dealer paid for a unit at some point of time, has nothing to do with what it is worth today. They just don't seem to be able to accept it!

maybe the people that needed used cars got them. New, a lot of dealers seem to be down on supply. I went by my local Ford dealer today (a stand alone "mom and pop" store, not part of any auto mall) that usually has their side lot (not all that big) full, with lots of PUs (of course). Today, it looked like they had the remaining stock all spread out to not make it look 1/2 empty.

I happened to just look at my Acura dealer. Down to 7 2020 TLXs left (and that does not account for the usual lag in updating online) so they did a pretty good job getting rid of the old models before the new style took over.

this popped up on cars and bids. I love it. Already doing well, and I suspect it will end up getting to be quite a bit higher. Looks super clean. An old guy near me has one, but it is a red base model (5 speed though) and looks really worn and beat. But still funky.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9aQPb67m/1994-honda-civic-del-sol-si

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    stickguy said:

this popped up on cars and bids. I love it. Already doing well, and I suspect it will end up getting to be quite a bit higher. Looks super clean. An old guy near me has one, but it is a red base model (5 speed though) and looks really worn and beat. But still funky.

Didn’t they make a Del Sol “VTEC” model as well?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited October 2020
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

Didn’t they make a Del Sol “VTEC” model as well?
    I think S, Si, and VTEC were the available trim levels. That one looks sharp, though. I don't remember that being a factory color. I know they had white, black, red, and (I think) teal.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I seem to recall yellow, too. Maybe depends on the year. Teal does sound familiar.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    qbrozen said:

I seem to recall yellow, too. Maybe depends on the year. Teal does sound familiar.

It was the 90s. I’m sure a teal was available!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

breld said:

Boy, that Del Sol, year, color and trim, is exactly what I was set on getting when I graduated college.

I got swayed by a slightly used ‘93 Prelude Si instead. No regrets there.

The Del Sol seems (strangely) to be one of the few Hondas of that era not universally beloved by the fan base.

My assistant had one maybe 10 years ago. I thought she would love it but she ended up dumping it after just a year or so.

stickguy said:

I remember liking those back in the day although I always doubted that I could actually fit in one.

honestly not sure I have ever sat in one. I know I had plenty of room in a CRX

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    When the Del Sol came out for 1993, it was obviously meant to be the successor to the highly regarded CRX. I think it took a year or two for everyone to realize it didn’t live up to its predecessor. As cool as this one is on Cars & Bids, it already seems to be a bit overpriced IMO - but any Honda from that era with low miles is going to garner attention.

A bright green was a release color for that 1993 model, and it was used for the marketing. A teal was indeed available in later model years. And a dark green was made available on the VTEC model in the later years. That VTEC model, with somewhere around 160 hp, would probably be the one model that would be very desirable.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

My ex-bro-in-law had a DelSol VTEC. Bunches of fun. Not very roomy, but more or less followed the Honda heyday in the '90s of making fun vehicles that were small, high revers and easy to toss around. Too bad no one appreciates those kinds of cars anymore.
    tjc78 said:

breld said:

Boy, that Del Sol, year, color and trim, is exactly what I was set on getting when I graduated college.

I got swayed by a slightly used ‘93 Prelude Si instead. No regrets there.

The Prelude purchase ensured your man card was kept intact.
    If only just barely.... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    That’s actually pretty clean underneath for a NY car.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Clearly, folks are not lined up to own that one!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Really nice... The six speed automatic on that model was not the best one they ever had, so the stick is even more desirable. '07-'10 models are relatively fast. One of BMW's best straight sixes. Our '08 was the same color, but with gray interior.

Damage on the Carfax?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Lovely 911. I would not mind having that one. So neat also to see such small wheels and tires on a real sports car. The good old days!

Love the car. Hate the color combo.

Always nice when a purchase makes you happy.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    @kyfdx the damage to the rear is interesting because the paint meter readings look pretty consistent all around. Guessing a fender bender.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    edited November 2020
    I'm still sitting on my car fund money.
    Still looking at new and hoping used prices will drop.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    damage to rear could easily be just a bumper cover issue. I don't even count those as paintwork!

Speaking of the good old days:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-dodge-charger-12/

A little crusty and the wrong engine but might be nice to cruise around in.