Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• drhkulkarnidrhkulkarni Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2021
    stickguy said:

So it isn’t actually a trade? Unclear if you would get a sales tax credit. And some states (such as NJ) don’t give the credit when trading in a leased car anyway.

But you still come out ahead if you get out of the lease early (fewer payments), and won’t have to pay the disposition fee which will probably he higher than the difference Tesla is giving you. And of course, no damage penalties.

Yes this is what I am thinking...I think the damage penalties is what probably skews it in this direction, nor the disposition fee (good point).

The sense I get from Tesla is that I buy out the lease, then sell it to them (for a value that we have agreed upon). They take the trade in value off the new car price.

A point of reference is that I am receiving $37,162 from Carvana. So I could make $2084 by selling it to Carvana, and then finance the Tesla between 1-2% APR (private financing) without any money leaving my bank OR trade the car into Tesla for about $300 lesser and potentially get the final price of the Tesla lower *(and thus have lower sales tax).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    If you are buying it out you will not pay the disposable fee or for damage, but you will pay sales tax (and possibly some DMV costs). The trade credit would offset the tax, but in this situation, you might as well shop it to Carvana and Carmax too. At least that way you don’t have to deal with buying it out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    abacomike said:

Tomorrow afternoon, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy at the outpatient wing of the Broward Medical Center in Coral Springs. My friend is picking me up and driving me home. Got clearance from my cardiologist yesterday.

The colonoscopy itself is easy-peasy - but from 3:00 PM this afternoon until 1:00 PM tomorrow, not only do I have to refrain from food, but the chemicals I have to swallow and the aftermath is a true misery, as all of you know! This is something I have been able to avoid for 6-7 years - but my doctor finally realized it’s been over 5 years since my last experience which he was not happy with. So I am now being punished!

All kidding aside, I realize this is a necessary part of life especially since I am a liver cancer survivor and my mother had colon cancer. At least I can catch up on all the posts while “throning” every few hours. 🤪😜

Colon Blow--- prep is the worst!!!

good luck
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Two colonoscopies here in the last year. I recommend you fasten your seatbelt and keep your toilet lids in their upright and locked position.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    stickguy said:

If you are buying it out you will not pay the disposable fee or for damage, but you will pay sales tax (and possibly some DMV costs). The trade credit would offset the tax, but in this situation, you might as well shop it to Carvana and Carmax too. At least that way you don’t have to deal with buying it out.

Yeah - Carvana is offering 2K extra for the car, while Tesla isn't offering anything in addition to the payoff price. So I suspect the difference on savings on the new car sales tax will be a wash, especially if you are saying that there would be sales tax on buying out the leased car, and DMV costs. Isn't the sales tax usually incorporated into the payoff price?
    Depends on how they gave you the number. If it does, then Tesla offer might still be better. I would just break it down on a quick spreadsheet to see if the tax credit makes that the best option.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Tomorrow afternoon, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy. At least I can catch up on all the posts while “throning” every few hours. 🤪😜

Good luck Mike....I feel for you. Wish they could make that liquid taste like a fine wine, beer or at least a chocolate milkshake. The good news is once it is done you will have 5 years before another one....and you can get all the latest late breaking posts while on the throne.

What’s wrong with bourbon? :s

jmonroe
    Speaking of which, here is my question;
    Why is approximately 95% of all bourbon produced in Kentucky, according to the Kentucky Distillers' Association.(2018)? Doesn't anyone else know how to make it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited April 2021
    stickguy said:

Depends on how they gave you the number. If it does, then Tesla offer might still be better. I would just break it down on a quick spreadsheet to see if the tax credit makes that the best option.

The other hidden cost here is that I would use 30K out of my bank to buy out the Volvo, and then would take a loan of only 20K on the Tesla, whereas if I sold to carvana, I would take a loan on the 50K. With rates at around 1.5-1.7% APR, it may be worth taking full loan...
    @drhkulkarni
    I think you need an accountant to figure this out! :)

driver100 said:

@drhkulkarni
    I think you need an accountant to figure this out! :)

LOL :)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

Mike....same drivetrain in my Stinger....just returned from FL, Gulf Coast. I was driving mainly interstate with 10% in town driving once I got into the city. Filled up when I got home yesterday. Averaged 30 MPG, which given I was set pretty steady at 80-85 MPH where traffic allowed, seems good given the drivetrain’s power and torque.

I’ve got 16K miles on my Stinger, now. That’s the best MPG I’ve ever achieved.

Give your G some time. Seems it gets better with the more miles you’ll put on it.

How can you have the same drivetrain in your Stinger as @Mike has in his ‘almost a Bentley’. I’ll bet the engine shroud on @Mike’s car doesn’t say Kia. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Tomorrow afternoon, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy. At least I can catch up on all the posts while “throning” every few hours. 🤪😜

Good luck Mike....I feel for you. Wish they could make that liquid taste like a fine wine, beer or at least a chocolate milkshake. The good news is once it is done you will have 5 years before another one....and you can get all the latest late breaking posts while on the throne.

jmonroe
    Why is approximately 95% of all bourbon produced in Kentucky, according to the Kentucky Distillers' Association.(2018)? Doesn't anyone else know how to make it.
    I remember it had something to do with our delicious water. Here you go.
    "The water in Kentucky is hard — meaning, it has a high pH and a high proportion of minerals, including calcium and magnesium. These elements are optimal for distilling. The yeast in bourbon adores those minerals. They aid the fermentation process and create the distinctive, crisp Kentucky bourbon we know and love.Jul 17"

So, unless it's made in Kentucky, legally it can't be called bourbon.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

"The water in Kentucky is hard — meaning, it has a high pH and a high proportion of minerals, including calcium and magnesium. These elements are optimal for distilling. The yeast in bourbon adores those minerals. They aid the fermentation process and create the distinctive, crisp Kentucky bourbon we know and love.Jul 17"

Actually, it just has to be made in the United States. The "ideal" water here in KY is why 95% of it is made in Kentucky.
    It does have to be made in Kentucky to be "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" of course.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    Since I don't drink hard liquor, what's the difference between whisky and bourbon? Just the distilling process?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

stickguy said:

The other hidden cost here is that I would use 30K out of my bank to buy out the Volvo, and then would take a loan of only 20K on the Tesla, whereas if I sold to carvana, I would take a loan on the 50K. With rates at around 1.5-1.7% APR, it may be worth taking full loan...

IMO I’d take the higher offer from Carvana/Carmax/Vroom etc. Its the easiest option. They will cut you a check for the equity, payoff Volvo and you walk away.

Then it’s up to you whether you put 30K down or finance the entire car. I’d put $5000 or so down and finance the rest with as low as rates are.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@jipster @ronsteve Thanks guys.....today isn't a total write off, I learned something.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    Michaell said:

Since I don't drink hard liquor, what's the difference between whisky and bourbon? Just the distilling process?

Bottom Line: All bourbon is whisk(e)y, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

Bourbon has to conform to a specific mash bill (51-79% corn, malted barley, and either wheat or rye), be aged in charred virgin oak barrels, and meet specific barrel proof thresholds (which I forget what they are).
    Some Scotch and Irish whisk(e)ys are aged in used bourbon barrels, but NEVER the other way around.

Jack Daniels is a touchy subject, because when it comes out of the barrel it's filtered through maple, but other than that it's also technically a bourbon.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

I think what I was trying to say was if a guy owns a bmw, especially a bmw convertible, and IF he was looking at motorcycles - probably a very small percentage of car owners - he would probably be more prone to check out a bmw motorcycle.
    It's still a long shot but might target the advertising to the right person.

Well my point is is that BMW in motorcycling doesn't carry the same weight as it does in automotive. Due to that there isn't a lot of crossing over between the two.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @drhkulkarni, I totally agree with what @stickguy said. I did just that with getting out of a lease early, years ago, and I haven’t regretted it at all. That said, by pulling the trigger soon, Congress may not have acted on restoring tax credits for Tesla’s which they are talking about doing. You would presumably still save sales tax with a trade-in vs. the tax of the whole cost of the car.
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    Well there is a lot produced in Tennessee that's not included in that figure because they call it Tennessee whiskey even though Tennessee whiskey is legally defined as a straight bourbon whiskey made in Tennessee.

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

No, bourbon can be made anywhere in the U.S. and can legally be called bourbon.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited April 2021
    @abacomike
    Last spring I had the faster prep that doesn't require drinking as much liquid. It's
    a polypropylene based liquid, a plastic in solution I guess. I may have the wrong name
    for the plastic, but it worked. Less to drink.

They told me to come back in 3 years. The last time they said 5 years and last spring
    was my 5th year. I'm not sure why it was shortened unless it's to keep me under that
    80-year old figure. Nothing bad was found, but I did have some polyps.
    I hope you "come out clean" (no puns intended) on the results of your colonoscopy.
    Good news will be worth the awful effort.

There's always the colonoscopy in a box that is heavily advertised here on the Judgy
    Judy show hours. My wife had to have that. You take a specimen, send it in,
    and they analyze it for DNA. Positives and
    negatives that are false are fairly high. If you get a positive then you have to have
    the real thing.

If the nurses put on a CD in the scope room and tell you the doctor wants the Mexican
    fast music because he likes to dance while he's doing the colonoscopy, get up and leave.
    LOL. I went to sleep with this picture of the doctors and the assistants dancing while
    probing my innards. He retired before I had my next one. Great guy actually. Sense
    of humor.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Once again, the changes to the forum this time haven't resulted in users having trouble
    logging on or things not working. Remember all the problemaitc changes from many
    years ago.

It's just the gray color used for the font or the choice
    of fonts that's not good.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254

@abacomike
    Last spring I had the faster prep that doesn't require drinking as much liquid. It's
    a polypropylene based liquid, a plastic in solution I guess. I may have the wrong name

They told me to come back in 3 years. The last time they said 5 years and last spring
    was my 5th year. I'm not sure why it was shortened unless it's to keep me under that
    I hope you "come out clean" (no puns intended) on the results of your colonoscopy.

There's always the colonoscopy in a box that is heavily advertised here on the Judgy
    negatives that are false are fairly high. If you get a positive then you have to have
    the real thing.

If the nurses put on a CD in the scope room and tell you the doctor wants the Mexican
    fast music because he likes to dance while he's doing the colonoscopy, get up and leave.
    LOL. I went to sleep with this picture of the doctors and the assistants dancing while
    probing my innards. He retired before I had my next one. Great guy actually. Sense
    of humor.

I am on the fast prep as you called it. I took 2 tablets at noon. Then at 5:00 PM, I mix Miralax in a half gallon of Crystal Lite lemonade and drink the entire mixture. Tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM I take half a bottle of this clear liquid with an 8 oz glass of water and prepare for the final assault, so to speak. They want me at the outpatient wing of the hospital at 1:00 PM and the procedure is scheduled for 3:00 PM. The nurse told me I would be under anesthesia for 20-25 minutes. They use propofol which is fast acting.

2021 Genesis G90

I hate a late slot. Better IMO to be first since you don’t get a good nights sleep anyway.

@abacomike

the real thing.

of humor.

Since they found polyps then they have you come back in three years, no polyps then it's five years.

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited April 2021
    ronsteve said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Actually, it just has to be made in the United States. The "ideal" water here in KY is why 95% of it is made in Kentucky.
    It does have to be made in Kentucky to be "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" of course.
    Thanks for the correction. I took a tour of the Angels Envy Bourbon Distillery , here in Louisville, before the covid outbreak, so I "mismembered" that fact. I am not a Bourbon or whiskey drinker, Mrs. Jip does the hard liquor drinking in the family. :smile: But one other factoid from the tour, "All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon."
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

stickguy said:

If you sell the Volvo, make sure you they are actually buying the car, and not turning it back into VCFS on your behalf. If you have a better deal from Carvana, and don't have to worry about timing, I'd jump on that in a minute.

It's also possible that you have a purchase option fee on your lease, if you decide to buy it out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jipster said:

ronsteve said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Thanks for the correction. I took a tour of the Angels Envy Bourbon Distillery , here in Louisville, before the covid outbreak, so I "mismembered" that fact. I am not a Bourbon or whiskey drinker, Mrs. Jip does the hard liquor drinking in the family. :smile: But one other factoid from the tour, "All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon."
    Never touch the stuff myself! :(

Only here can you have a discussion about trading in a Volvo for a Tesla, the difference between whiskey and bourbon, and prepping for a colonoscopy - all on one page. :p

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    I got troubles in river city.

I took the Mustang out to the supermarket today. I parked out by myself to avoid mishaps but to no avail. I came out and noticed something funny on the driver’s door. Sure enough I find a ding on the crease which popped the metal out below. Imagine my outrage that this would happen the first time out of storage.

Well, it turns out this didn’t happen at the market. My son confessed he had some friends over in his basement man-cave and one of the girls tipped over the recliner backwards and landed on the car door.

$800 at my go-to guy.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

jipster said:

ronsteve said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Please don’t tell us what you do touch - spare us! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

I took the Mustang out to the supermarket today. I parked out by myself to avoid mishaps but to no avail. I came out and noticed something funny on the driver’s door. Sure enough I find a ding on the crease which popped the metal out below. Imagine my outrage that this would happen the first time out of storage.

Well, it turns out this didn’t happen at the market. My son confessed he had some friends over in his basement man-cave and one of the girls tipped over the recliner backwards and landed on the car door.

$800 at my go-to guy.

Ouch! It sure took a long time for him to fess up, but at least he finally came clean.

2021 Genesis G90

$800 at my go-to guy.

Ouch! That hurts.....does it come out of your son's allowance? Hope the girl doesn't sue over the unsafe recliner.
    Then there is the time....and sometimes they have to keep it overnight if paint is involved, oh man, I feel for you and Mike tonight.

edited April 2021
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

jipster said:

ronsteve said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

OK, I'll spare you, but about the only thing I drink is the cheapest alcoholic drink you can buy (not because it is cheap, but because that's all I prefer).

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @oldfarmer50,
    Get a quote from a paintless dent removal place.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    driver100 said:

Only here can you have a discussion about trading in a Volvo for a Tesla, the difference between whiskey and bourbon, and prepping for a colonoscopy - all on one page. :p

Yep, and have interest with all three.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

jipster said:

ronsteve said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

OK, I'll spare you, but about the only thing I drink is the cheapest alcoholic drink you can buy (not because it is cheap, but because that's all I prefer).
    I wasn’t talking about alcohol. 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

jipster said:

ronsteve said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Have you noticed, he always thinks he knows what you’re talking about. First sign of a guy who buys cheap booze and luxo cars. :s

jmonroe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    I

$800 at my go-to guy.

My kind of party...

+1 check out paint dent removal. If you can’t find one, call a local car dealer and ask who they use.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Yep, it's the grey font which is making things difficult to read. Think if they use a lighter, brighter font, that could solve the issue. Better late than never because this grey font really isn't working! At least not for me.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Yep, and have interest with all three.

jmonroe
    ....or none of the 3.

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

jipster said:

ronsteve said:

jipster said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

In that case, yes you are right....my lips are sealed.

edited April 2021

$800 at my go-to guy.

Some have mentioned paintless dent removal. That can work, but it doesn't work in some situations. One is when they can't get inside behind the dent at times. Another problem can be when the dent is on a crease.

I hope it can work in your case OF...........just don't want you to get your hopes up. I have seen it work once out of 3 times, the other two times they couldn't do it, because of the position and once it was on a crease.

edited April 2021
    Please ignore just testing something.

@oldfarmer50,
    Get a quote from a paintless dent removal place.

My guy is going to do that but the way the metal is creased he’ll have to do additional work and do paint and blend. I could go cheaper but I told him to go all OCD.

It’s actually not that noticeable except at a certain angle and I’d probably just go PDR with any of my other cars.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tjc78 said:

I

$800 at my go-to guy.

My kind of party...

+1 check out paint dent removal. If you can’t find one, call a local car dealer and ask who they use.
    My guy will do everything from just pass inspection quality up to concours. I’ve had him do both and been satisfied.

Yep, it's the grey font which is making things difficult to read. Think if they use a lighter, brighter font, that could solve the issue. Better late than never because this grey font really isn't working! At least not for me.

It was probably developed by the same guy who came up with printing the unreadable car tags on Enterprise keys. That guy got a bonus for saving ink too. ;)

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Using windows 10 desktop running firefox 87.0.

Open firefox menu, click Options. Scroll down to Language and Appearance, look under Fonts and Colors, click the Colors button on lower right side. A pop up menu offers a change of colors rectangle box for both text and background.

After choosing colors for each I clicked on the Aways override button at the bottom of the menu.

After combining color changes and the + Zoom option from the main menu things are a bit easier on the eyes.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.