Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    breld said:

pensfan83 said:

stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

Vroom came back with $39K on the RDX. Still not quite sure of the payoff calculation with the lease, tax, etc. but that's higher than Carvana a month ago and $3,000 more than what AFS shows as the payoff. Assuming we moved forward and took a similar path as @qbrozen in securing a replacement by the fall, we'd bank 7 months worth of payments and pocket a few thousand in the process.

The AFS payoff online actually includes sales tax. So you need to deduct that to get the actual (much larger) check amount coming to you.

But sounds like not long before you will be shopping again. But that’s ok, it’s just a lease and you weren’t married to it! Different story for us, since we bought ours and the wife is attached to it. And we don’t have 3 (or any) other cars in the fleet!
    OK....since PA taxes the monthly payment we have 27 payments left as of today and the tax is $42.XX/payment, which totals $1,134 of unpaid tax. Deducting that from the payoff AFS shows a difference of around $4,100.
    I think you might be in for even a more pleasant surprise...I believe the sales tax @stickguy is referring to is the tax you'd owe to buy the car from the leasing company. So your tax rate times the buyout amount (since you've only paid sales tax on the monthly payments to date).
    THIS ^^^^^^^

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    au1994 said:

@graphicguy...Bronco means Bronco Sport, right? I wasn’t aware that the other version was out yet if not.

The lease programs are out on the big one. That usually means they are on the lot, or almost there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Breld is correct. The buyout figure on your AFS account page includes sales tax you have to pay on the purchase price (buyout). Basically the check amount you have to cut them. Carvana does not pay that.

So if buyout shown is 39,000, that’s say 37,000 cost plus 2,000 tax. Carvana offers 41,000, so they pay AFS 37,000 and you get 4,000

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Well then assuming the AFS buyout includes the sales tax, the different between the payoff and Vrooms offer is over $6,000. WTH??
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    pensfan83 said:

Well then assuming the AFS buyout includes the sales tax, the different between the payoff and Vrooms offer is over $6,000. WTH??

Only one way to find out! :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    My boss recently took delivery of a Bronco Sport he had ordered months ago. It’s meant to be a runaround car for his vacation home in Florida, but he’s driving it around here in CO for now.

It’s pretty cool looking if you ask me.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

Of course, the assumption could be wrong... (about taxes being included)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I like that bronco. Sharp looking.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

Of course, the assumption could be wrong... (about taxes being included)
    That’s how it was 6 months ago when I sold my AFS lease to Carvana. And I doubt it changed if he’s just looking online at his account.

But if what he thought it would be was enough to do the deal, getting even more will just be gravy.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I’m looking at the XT5 and wondering if a good lease can be had. 0.00005 MF and 58% RV on 36/12 are strong. Looks like $3k incentives for my area ($2k conquest). Plenty of loaners at my preferred dealer. If 15% pre-incentive discount is possible, I’m coming up with about $380/mo all in. This is $52k MSRP. Hmmmm....

I’m not sure about the conquest since the site states “targeted incentive”? Am I targeted??
    And I have NO idea if 15% is reasonable for a Caddy loaner.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    edited April 2021
    So, the battery has been finnicky in the ZHP for a few weeks and it finally gave up the ghost yesterday. Wouldn't even jump with my battery pack or AAA's - only came to life hooking up to the truck. The battery in it was a AAA with a manufacture date of, wait for it...2009! 12 years!

Suffice to say I let AAA install another battery for 175 and registered it using my OBD handheld. Here is to another 12 years?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tifighter said:

Sort of interested in EVs. I like the idea of the Chevy Bolts with SuperCruise, though. Tried to test drive one of those at the local Chevy dealer. But, their sales guy turned me off as he didn’t show up for our appointment and was rude after I called him out regarding that. So, c’est la vie!

That’s an entirely different “mode of thinking” than where I’ve been in the past regarding an EV. Not sure what my tipping point would be to get my derrière into an EV. Suffice to say, I’m just “EV curious” right now.

I mean, since we are talking about test drives, so you know what I'm going to say. Y'know, just for fun...
    Yeah....might tackle that one tomorrow. ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    au1994 said:

@graphicguy...Bronco means Bronco Sport, right? I wasn’t aware that the other version was out yet if not.

Yes! Headed to the Ford store now!
  • Options
    rayainsw said:

graphicguy - "Edmunds Poster Emeritus"
    Just a quick congrats on this Title!
    - Ray
    Merely an occasional poster...

A legend in my own mind! ;)
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

I’m looking at the XT5 and wondering if a good lease can be had. 0.00005 MF and 58% RV on 36/12 are strong. Looks like $3k incentives for my area ($2k conquest). Plenty of loaners at my preferred dealer. If 15% pre-incentive discount is possible, I’m coming up with about $380/mo all in. This is $52k MSRP. Hmmmm....

I’m not sure about the conquest since the site states “targeted incentive”? Am I targeted??

Targeted with GM usually means you've gotten an incentive by direct mail or email.

Category: Private Offer
    Private Offer Criteria:
    Private Offer Type: Email, Direct Mail Piece, Select Customer Manifest List
    Transferable to household: Yes
    Offer Code Required: Certificate Number
    Eligible Vehicle:
    Eligible Vehicle: New and unused Cadillac models
    Eligible Sale Type: Lease
    New Finance Company: GM Financial
    New Finance Company ID: 12
    Eligible Customers:
    Eligible Customers: Customers who receive this offer will be eligible to use it towards the lease of an eligible model through GM Financial.
    Eligible Dealers:
    Eligible Dealers: Cadillac dealers located in the United States
    Program Description:
    Program Notes: Cadillac is announcing a Private Offer for select customers. Customers who receive this offer will be eligible to use this offer
    towards the lease of an eligible model through GM Financial Supported Lease program.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    qbrozen said:

I found Caddy dealers difficult to discount when I was shopping Xt6. I think they were tapped out at 7% for a new unit.

Curious what you find out.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited April 2021
    pensfan83 said:

Vroom came back with $39K on the RDX. Still not quite sure of the payoff calculation with the lease, tax, etc. but that's higher than Carvana a month ago and $3,000 more than what AFS shows as the payoff. Assuming we moved forward and took a similar path as @qbrozen in securing a replacement by the fall, we'd bank 7 months worth of payments and pocket a few thousand in the process.

Well, the day is grinding on... better get the paperwork started!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited April 2021

So, the battery has been finnicky in the ZHP for a few weeks and it finally gave up the ghost yesterday. Wouldn't even jump with my battery pack or AAA's - only came to life hooking up to the truck. The battery in it was a AAA with a manufacture date of, wait for it...2009! 12 years!

Suffice to say I let AAA install another battery for 175 and registered it using my OBD handheld. Here is to another 12 years?

That's a great lifespan!

I, too, had a 2009 battery finally bite the dust a few weeks ago. It originally came in my 2010 Subaru Forester, and I replaced it after a short time (Feb of 2012) with a RedTop AGM battery (which is still in the 2013 Forester). Since then, it's seen some time in my Econoline and my C20, but finally wound up in the plow truck two winters ago when the 2004 NAPA battery finally quit.

I used my plow truck only twice this winter, and the battery worked fine the first time. But, it was too weak to turn over the starter when we had our last big snowstorm. I jumped it to start the truck, then, when I went to lift the plow blade, the draw literally killed the battery. I mean, truck died and there was just no life left in it at all.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

I4 price, that yellow one I test drove was the 6 cyl. The sticker wasn’t in the window, but had a $5K off sign in the seat.

Volvo was an XC40 Polestar.

I really like the XC40, a friend has one and I borrowed if for a couple of days when moving (as much as I love the Model3 a sedan just doesn't cut it for moves) and I really enjoyed driving it. Just does everything really well.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

I found Caddy dealers difficult to discount when I was shopping Xt6. I think they were tapped out at 7% for a new unit.

Curious what you find out.
    I could only find one somewhat recent post in "the other" forum where the user claims to have gotten a hair over 15%.

I'm not even sure if I should present this option to my wife right now or if I should just wait until she bugs me for another car. lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited April 2021
    breld said:

It’s been 3-4 weeks, but my Supra just showed up on Carvana - they’ve listed it at $52,590.

I paid $47.7k new, they paid me $49.3k for it. I guess someone will pay their price, but that’s nuts.

The dealer that has the 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium that I'm looking at has it listed for $52,044 including the doc fee.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Sort of interested in EVs. I like the idea of the Chevy Bolts with SuperCruise, though. Tried to test drive one of those at the local Chevy dealer. But, their sales guy turned me off as he didn’t show up for our appointment and was rude after I called him out regarding that. So, c’est la vie!

Didn't you report him to he GM? Any response?
    If I had the extra $$$ I would swap the Clubman for a CPO i3- but that's as far down the EV trail I'm willing to go at this time.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

I didn't think batteries in the E46 had to be registered--I thought that was an "innovation" in the E90 model. :D
  • Options
    corvette said:

I didn't think batteries in the E46 had to be registered--I thought that was an "innovation" in the E90 model. :D
    Me too.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    qbrozen said:

Just sent the PoA fedex back to Vroom.

No turning back now. Haha. Pretty big savings, I’d say.

We did pay $2500 at signing, so if you break that down, it would be $486 spread out over the next 7 payments. So you could look at it as more like $1214 equity, plus $1k or so for tires and $395 dispo and any damages they want to bring up. We’ll save on the payments probably until the Fall unless she falls in love with something else. So another potential $1400 there. About $4k extra in our pockets all in all.

Good job! Best part is that you don’t need to get into another vehicle right now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

We did pay $2500 at signing, so if you break that down, it would be $486 spread out over the next 7 payments. So you could look at it as more like $1214 equity, plus $1k or so for tires and $395 dispo and any damages they want to bring up. We’ll save on the payments probably until the Fall unless she falls in love with something else. So another potential $1400 there. About $4k extra in our pockets all in all.

Good job! Best part is that you don’t need to get into another vehicle right now.
    That's the key - if you can take advantage of these crazy bids now and give the market time to settle down, it's a win-win.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    breld said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

That's the key - if you can take advantage of these crazy bids now and give the market time to settle down, it's a win-win.
    Yeah, yeah...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

corvette said:

Me too.
    So it was in the software for E46 in my computer, and it let me register it, so no harm no foul?
  • Options

corvette said:

Me too.
    So it was in the software for E46 in my computer, and it let me register it, so no harm no foul?
    I'd think so.

• Options

corvette said:

Me too.
    I'd think so.
    I hope so. With the battery in the trunk my tender ran to a plug on the back wall above my workbench and while there was slack in the cord, it was still stretched enough to be in the way. After finding it unplugged a few times and knocking out myself a few more, I pulled the battery out of the car and put it on my workbench. Before doing so I checked into whether an E46 needs the battery registered and found it didn't. It comes out of hibernation tomorrow so I guess we'll see. Running a line for a new plug is on the list of things to do.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

I hope so. With the battery in the trunk my tender ran to a plug on the back wall above my workbench and while there was slack in the cord, it was still stretched enough to be in the way.

A couple of thoughts... You should be able to connect the BT to the underhood jump terminal and a ground, if that would make the cable run shorter. Also, I have a low voltage 12' extension cord for my BT leads, and every car I've had for the past decade or so, other than the TDI buyback wagon, has gotten the quick connect eyelets for the BT permanently installed.
  • Options
    Yes +1 to corvette. While in theory connecting directly to the battery in the trunk should be ok? It’s apparently not recommended. I’m guessing that’s because the front terminal points are more accessible but who knows.
  • Options
    I cheated a bit when I installed the new battery in my Q7 last fall: I just disabled the whole battery management system and went old school with it. Works great so far (other than the battery tender episode where it decided to go on vacation instead of tending).
  • Options

Yes +1 to corvette. While in theory connecting directly to the battery in the trunk should be ok? It’s apparently not recommended. I’m guessing that’s because the front terminal points are more accessible but who knows.

If memory serves, some BMWs have a pyrotechnic charge on the positive battery cable that is designed to deploy in the event of a severe collision to disconnect the battery. I would treat that the same as an airbag or seatbelt pretensioner and not go near it unless I had to, thus, a preference for making a connection under the hood.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Think a lot of us are thinking EV right now. The new Bolt looks to be an interesting choice, think there will be two different models coming out from what I've read. A co-worker showed me an article about Tesla coming out with an EV around the price of a VW Golf, now that really got my interest. Right now, am the perfect candidate for an EV with my driving schedule. Filled up the car last Wednesday evening and the needle has not moved yet! I've been to work three days already and a few errands around the house, so maybe 50 to 60 miles. All my trips seem to be small ones now, not complaining, and in no real hurry to do anything really. Think the wife would be on board with me getting an EV as we have her vehicle for the longer stuff.
    I just need to get out there and test drive some stuff. Definitely true that with this current chip problem, not a whole lot of new inventory. At work, one of our storage lots is pretty empty...it's got an "East" and "West" side and the east is locked up as it's totally empty. The west has less than 15 vehicles sitting there, as we took out four late this afternoon to move down to another lot near the Ft. Lauderdale airport. A few of us were talking today about the possibility of cutting hours again until more inventory shows up. Not a prospect I really like as I really want 30 hours/week if possible. We were hired for 25 hours/week but most weeks we've been getting closer to 28 or so. that is, until the middle of March where the norm was 25 hours. But we've been told there'd be no layoffs or furloughs and since summer is almost here, a few of our crew leaves for the summer for cooler climates up north. This should help with the lack of hours until things get back to normality. I just know 'd like that to happen sooner than later. Being home last year with the pandemic, I found out how much I really enjoyed the job, getting out of the house and all. Missed being around our regular group in our crew and of course the extra income. Even though we did o k with the unemployment, I would've rather have been working those 86 days.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Wife said something last night about looking at hybrids. She was also asking something like “why not another BMW?”

I know nothing about the ... it is a plug in? X3. I also haven’t seen any notable lease mentions, so I’m thinking they don’t pass along tax credits? I’ll have to look up how NJ taxes it. I think they still fully tax anything not full EV.

• Options
    @qbrozen
    Shame about leasing a BMW for you is you no longer have loyalty. Usually loyalty is $1000 bigger credit than conquest so you’ll be $30 month higher on anything from them.

• Options
    I still have loyalty. X2 still in my possession, and I believe there is at least a 30-day window after, if not 90-day.

So it looks like BMWFS does NOT pass along the $5800 fed incentive, which sucks and makes that a non-starter. Audi DOES pass along on the Q5e, but the lease is so awful otherwise that it does not help. Pretty sure an XC60 recharge is going to be too expensive no matter what as well.

• Options

Didn't you report him to he GM? Any response?
    If I had the extra $$$ I would swap the Clubman for a CPO i3- but that's as far down the EV trail I'm willing to go at this time.

This was a Costco “deal”. I told them about it. They said they take that sort of mistreatment seriously and would take care of it. Did they? I guess so. I did get a call from the Sales Manager assigning a new sales rep to me. New guy called once and left a voice mail....”come in any time to drive a Tahoe” (I was looking at at Bolt). Not worth my time for their incompetence.

Stinger goes in to Carmax today. Will be using the GF’s Passport until I find something. Not rushing around, though.

Drove the Bronco Sport last night. The base model is a dog. Way too underpowered. The Badlands, which I also drove, was much better. Not much really to say. It drove like a car, only firmer. Not in a bad way, just firm (which is actually OK by me). Pretty plasticky on the inside. But, I get the vibe as it’s supposed to be easy to clean. To me? It felt plasticy.

Steering was fine. Braking was fine. It’s a little on the noisy side, but it’s a small SUV at the end of the day. So, kind of expected. Fast? No. Quick enough, though. Steering was a little vague but not too bad. Braking wasn’t linear. I couldn’t modulate them very well. But, perhaps with time I would get used to them.

Seats were fine. Synch was fine...yet another user interface that works but could be better (aren’t they all?).

I would want the B&O stereo as the base stereo isn’t very good.

Long and short of it, you buy the Bronco Sport because of its looks. The rest of it is....well.....fine! It’s not great in any way, though.

Apparently, these are tough to come by. They were delivering a “first edition” with all the good stuff in it. But, they said they didn’t know when they’d be getting another one in stock. The Badlands I test drove was the only one they had. And, it had an ADM sticker on it. I really don’t want to play those games, especially on a vehicle I don’t love.

That said, Ford will sell every one they can make.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    @graphicguy - good write up on the Bronco Sport and about what I expected. Not all bad, not all good but competitive in the segment. I’ve seen a handful on the road and they are stylish enough to get a second look. 15 year old thinks they’re cool FWIW.

The ‘come in any time to drive a Tahoe’ made me chuckle. Talk about apples and kumquats. How GM sells 70, 80, 90k Tahoe’s, Suburbans, Yukons etc with this type of sales crew baffles me.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    I watched Hoovie's latest Lambo video yesterday... He may be the ultimate CCB, but also somewhat of a chronic car keeper.
  • Options
    Sounds like you have to be enthusiastic about the overall character of the Bronco Sport to really care to buy one, as it doesn’t necessarily offer anything great in driving dynamic.

And that said, there will be loads of people who will indeed like the character of it and buy it. And nothing wrong with that.

• Options
    @qbrozen.

One word for you...

Venza.

You’re welcome.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I still have loyalty. X2 still in my possession, and I believe there is at least a 30-day window after, if not 90-day.

So it looks like BMWFS does NOT pass along the $5800 fed incentive, which sucks and makes that a non-starter. Audi DOES pass along on the Q5e, but the lease is so awful otherwise that it does not help. Pretty sure an XC60 recharge is going to be too expensive no matter what as well.

I didn’t realize there was a window of time like that.

• Options
    corvette said:

If memory serves, some BMWs have a pyrotechnic charge on the positive battery cable that is designed to deploy in the event of a severe collision to disconnect the battery. I would treat that the same as an airbag or seatbelt pretensioner and not go near it unless I had to, thus, a preference for making a connection under the hood.
    Damn, good to know for next year.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

I didn’t realize there was a window of time like that.
    I think it is 90 days.

• Options
    breld said:

@qbrozen.

One word for you...

Venza.

You’re welcome.

Lol, I never see those on the road so no idea how they would lease.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

corvette said:

Me too.
    I'd think so.
    I hope so. With the battery in the trunk my tender ran to a plug on the back wall above my workbench and while there was slack in the cord, it was still stretched enough to be in the way. After finding it unplugged a few times and knocking out myself a few more, I pulled the battery out of the car and put it on my workbench. Before doing so I checked into whether an E46 needs the battery registered and found it didn't. It comes out of hibernation tomorrow so I guess we'll see. Running a line for a new plug is on the list of things to do.
    I think I put two batteries in that car, over 10 years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator