Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

@sda said:

Wow, that's a brave soul to nurse it to 185k! I had an 85 Alliance DL 1.7L convertible and it was having issues well before the warranty ran out. I sold it with around 45K on it.

When I met my wife she owned an R18i; it was fun to drive but always had an issue. The last straw was when the automatic began downshifting on its own when driving down the interstate. She still watches F1 just so she can root against the Alpines.

Hey, leave Fernando out of this.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    tifighter said:

@sda said:

Wow, that's a brave soul to nurse it to 185k! I had an 85 Alliance DL 1.7L convertible and it was having issues well before the warranty ran out. I sold it with around 45K on it.

When I met my wife she owned an R18i; it was fun to drive but always had an issue. The last straw was when the automatic began downshifting on its own when driving down the interstate. She still watches F1 just so she can root against the Alpines.

Hey, leave Fernando out of this.

Or Esteban, for that matter.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I noticed a local CarHop (high rate BHPH type of business) was absolutely packed with inventory last time I drove by.
    sda said:

While out yesterday I drove by the Cadillac dealer. The new car lot was essentially empty. The used car lot was thin as well. About two blocks away the CarMax looked like it had a full lot of vehicles, quite the change from a couple of weeks ago when it, too, appeared sparsely populated. I wonder how much they over paid for the vehicles they currently have in inventory?

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    benjaminh said:
    Rumor has it that Intel will buy Global Foundries, a large chip maker in my area for $30 billion. It would be nice to see that much chip production come back into American hands, although you really can’t call these huge international companies by any one nationality.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tifighter said:

You'll never remember the last time you saw one of these-

1987 forever, dudes.

Looks like the LeBaron convertible of that era.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Too big, heavy, and overpriced- but boy, it looks like fun; three pedals, H-K and no hole in the roof:
    https://www.oxmoorchrysler.com/inventory/certified-used-2019-dodge-challenger-rt-scat-pack-rwd-2d-coupe-2c3cdzfjxkh676450/

I guess those could be fun but when I drive them it feels like I’m driving a bus. Mostly we have the V6 model which isn’t bad but not real exciting. Today there was a V8 in the return line that had such a sweet exhaust note that I really wanted to drive it. It might have been a rare 392 because the rental agent pulled it right out of line and gave it to another customer.

I had to settle for driving numerous Audis and BMWs.

• Options
    boomchek said:

fintail said:

I noticed a local CarHop (high rate BHPH type of business) was absolutely packed with inventory last time I drove by.

sda said:

While out yesterday I drove by the Cadillac dealer. The new car lot was essentially empty. The used car lot was thin as well. About two blocks away the CarMax looked like it had a full lot of vehicles, quite the change from a couple of weeks ago when it, too, appeared sparsely populated. I wonder how much they over paid for the vehicles they currently have in inventory?

We have no issue with inventory...yet. Used lot is full and was throughout this and the past year, new 21 Civics are all sold out, 22 Civics are slowly trickling in and selling well. Ridgelines are sold out; Pilots, Passports, and CRVs plenty.
    Welcome back.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196
    fintail said:

sda said:

Money launderers

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435

@boomchek said:
    We have no issue with inventory...yet. Used lot is full and was throughout this and the past year, new 21 Civics are all sold out, 22 Civics are slowly trickling in and selling well. Ridgelines are sold out; Pilots, Passports, and CRVs plenty.

Welcome back!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    sda said:

Not as much as their buyers will over pay.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

That’s ok… I’ll make it up in fees.

Damn, I forgot about those. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    corvette said:

tjc78 said:

That’s ok… I’ll make it up in fees.

Be sure to tell us all what a mess he leaves the place!
    Only enough to offset the DOC fee.

jmonroe
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

Took the house buying story to the C&C thread. Figured not appropriate here.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435

@tjc78 said:

Congrats! Can’t wait to hear the outcome.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tjc78 said:

That’s it run away. Who do you think is gonna protect you over there? :@

jmonroe
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Well, a wire transfer just arrived in my bank account so although the Cutlass is still in my garage awaiting shipping arrangements, it is sold. I was amazed at how the transaction went down, most of it done by text messages. It is going to a buyer in Germany. My only misgiving is that he has obviously not seen or driven it, so I hope there is no disappointment upon arrival. Now packing stuff up that goes and doesn't go with it.

Congrats? Sure seems like it is going to a good home.

Now, go enjoy the Cadillac with a long drive in the country.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

My son will definitely be joining this discussion soon; he texted me about the 7k mile X5 4.8is on BaT with the comment “ I won’t buy a second car yet but I do love it 🤣”
    In 2001 I covered the introduction of the X5 4.6is and was able to drive one home and keep it for a couple of weeks. My son was distraught when I had to return it; offering to give up his allowance to help me buy it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ab348 said:

Well, a wire transfer just arrived in my bank account so although the Cutlass is still in my garage awaiting shipping arrangements, it is sold. I was amazed at how the transaction went down, most of it done by text messages. It is going to a buyer in Germany. My only misgiving is that he has obviously not seen or driven it, so I hope there is no disappointment upon arrival. Now packing stuff up that goes and doesn't go with it.

Did I miss where you advertised it? 60s cars are big in Europe. I hope he can afford to run it on the expensive gas.

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Did I miss where you advertised it? 60s cars are big in Europe. I hope he can afford to run it on the expensive gas.

There are usually a few US cars featured in each issue of the British magazine _Thoroughbred and Classic Cars _that I subscribe to.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Thanks guys. Nice to see same names whenever pop in. I'd like to spend more time in here but just busy with life, 2 kids, work, and chronically buying cars lol.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Good to hear from you again -- from another one-time Lower Mainlander.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Cheap North American currency means lots of cars going overseas.
    'The People' everywhere love American lux/muscle cars. The government most likely, not so much.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRpOPCHUtXE
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    boomchek said:

Thanks guys. Nice to see same names whenever pop in. I'd like to spend more time in here but just busy with life, 2 kids, work, and chronically buying cars lol.

Pictures please. Or are these just for your store?

• Options

Good to hear from you again -- from another one-time Lower Mainlander.

Thanks. I'm still in the Lower Mainland in Langley. Trying decide between upgrading to a house (we own a townhouse with decent equity), or let things be for now. Housing market spiked again here and any half decent house is now $1.2-$1.5 million here now and I don't feel like having $5k/ month mortgage payments.

I'm in my 40s and at the point of whether I should try to save save save just to buy a larger house or actually spend some money and buy some newer fun cars. I guess it's my mid life crisis lol.

If we don't buy a house I'm thinking of getting a second newer car to join our Audi A7 which I love. New Bronco is high on my list but they're sold out until next year.

Since I checked in last time in December 2018 I went through a few cars:

2014 Mercedes B250 was replaced by our 2016 Audi A7 which we still have.

My work commuters I went through in the last 2 years:
    2007 Mazda 3
    2004 Infinti G35 coupe
    2007 BMW X5 for winter
    2011 Mercedes C300 4Matic
    2007 Lexus IS300
    2009 Audi A4 Avant for winter
    2008 Mercedes C300
    2006 Honda Civic coupe that I have now.

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    boomchek said:

So how is that any different than most of the guys in here? Where there’s a will there’s a way. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    For those of you on the 4xE flip train, I'm seeing anecdotes across facebook, leasehackr, reddit, and others that CCAP has changed their 3rd party lease buyout policies and are now charging market rate.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

For those of you on the 4xE flip train, I'm seeing anecdotes across facebook, leasehackr, reddit, and others that CCAP has changed their 3rd party lease buyout policies and are now charging market rate.

Looks like many of the captive banks are doing this. Big article from Tom McParland on Jalopnik about the whole situation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Yep. I expect once the market quiets down, they'll flip back again. But for now, I don't blame them - captives need to funnel used car inventory to their dealers and also want to capitalize returns for themselves.
  • Options

Yep. I expect once the market quiets down, they'll flip back again. But for now, I don't blame them - captives need to funnel used car inventory to their dealers and also want to capitalize returns for themselves.

You think they'll revert back? Why?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

Not going to flip. Just want my Jeep.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

boomchek said:

So how is that any different than most of the guys in here? Where there’s a will there’s a way. B)

jmonroe
    I thought you are all retired and building massive car collections :D

• Options

@Michaell said:

Because in most cases, cars were flipped in value and banks had to deal with that. They were happy to let them go and get it off their books. I suspect we will get back to that at some point.

Could be wrong.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    All this talk of leasing just shoots right by me. Has absolutely no relevance to anyone living in Texas.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Much like most of what's happening in California. Count your blessings.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

@Michaell said:
    Any thoughts as to what this might sell for?

I’ll take a WAG at $7k-$8k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

@qbrozen said:
    Something stupid. I'll guess $12k.

I think $7500-$8k is not unreasonable.

That coupe made me remember to go back and take a look at the diesel. I’m shocked it stayed close to my reasonable number.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3z2y7EzJ/1999-mercedesbenz-e300-turbodiesel

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    henryn said:

All this talk of leasing just shoots right by me. Has absolutely no relevance to anyone living in Texas.

You’d be surprised at the number of lease requests we get from folks living in Texas.

While the tax burden is big, lots of folks still get business benefits from it.

And, in some cases, there are tax credits that takes the rate down to 1.25%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    qbrozen said:

That coupe made me remember to go back and take a look at the diesel. I’m shocked it stayed close to my reasonable number.

My family jetissoned two Volvos of about the same vintage due to repeat repair electrical issues. IMO, $7,300 for a car in the middle of its third decade of life is very generous, but I may end up doing something similar the next time I decide I need a project car.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Michaell said:

Because normally residual is more than market. So they are better off.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    For those possibly having concerns about Ford's upcoming Maverick, there appears to be a small issue for a few owners of the new Bronco.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/07/ford-bronco-owners-noticing-issues-with-molded-roof/

"A few Ford customers are expressing concerns about the quality control of the new Bronco after noticing the molded hardtop seemed to be coming apart prematurely. The issue impacts an unknown number of early vehicles, with only a handful of owners suggesting they’ve noticed anything. However, those that are sounding alarm bells noted that the vehicle seemed put together when they purchased it, with the defects manifesting after a few weeks of regular use.

Problems include the headliner separating from the roof panels and some discoloration at the seams. But the signature defect appears to be scales appearing on the hardtop’s exterior. While smooth to the touch, members of the Bronco6G forum reported that their roofs had developed patterning that resembled snakeskin in some areas — attributing the phenomenon to the outer laminate layer being cast too thin."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Well, these days, I would expect going in that a brand new Ford design would have some teething pains. At least the Maverick is largely an existing platform.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    All auto manufacturers have some issues on new product launch, but man, does Ford ever seem to have more than their share. I don't know if they just get them more publicized or if there is some flaw in their new product development and sign-off process. I suspect the latter.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited July 2021

Apparently Ford of Australia has some unhappy Mach 1 customers; their cars were delivered without some equipment that Ford advertised as standard.
    BMW originally advertised that the E36/5 had vented front rotors, but they were solid. Fortunately the solid rotors could cope with a 2,800 pound car with only 150 hp- especially one that only topped out at 130 mph.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Busy couple of days at the airport. Most of the branches had enough vehicles but the airport was lacking it seemed, PBI. Brought a lot of vehicles there so they could be rented out.
    Going back to the dentist in the morning and hoping this time, the cement will hold the temporary in place. Annoying right now. Also heard from the lawyer, case goes to trial on 9/3, so we'll see how it turns out. Dumb mistake on my part of course, so lets see how helpful this lawyer will be.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    @Sandman6472 - what have I missed? I had no idea that you had a forthcoming trial
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Black cars look pretty good. You have to keep them clean.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert