Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Ryobi. I know the new HD Ryobi isn't the same as the brand name of old, but I wanted things to go with my existing batteries, and they get good reviews. Prices seem fine, I am pleased so far.
    stickguy said:

Fin, what brand? When I move I need to get some new equipment and want to big one maker and just add pieces as needed.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

@fintail said:
    Ryobi. I know the new HD Ryobi isn't the same as the brand name of old, but I wanted things to go with my existing batteries, and they get good reviews. Prices seem fine, I am pleased so far.

I have no issues with my older Ryobi drill, circular saw etc. They run great on the newer Lithium batteries and perfect for a homeowner

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    works for me. I will scope them out once I get there and figure out what I need. Was at Lowes today and they had quite a few brands to pick from. Might look for a sale on a package deal (multiple pieces, extra batteries, something like that.)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    I can recommend AGAINST black and decker at this point. I got the thing with the interchanging heads, which is a fantastic idea, and it works great when working, but, after a couple of years, first one quit. I bought a replacement since I have so many attachments already. I think I'm about 6 months into that one and I had smoke coming from it while drilling last week. Not sure how much longer it has left.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@qbrozen said:
    I can recommend AGAINST black and decker at this point. I got the thing with the interchanging heads, which is a fantastic idea, and it works great when working, but, after a couple of years, first one quit. I bought a replacement since I have so many attachments already. I think I'm about 6 months into that one and I had smoke coming from it while drilling last week. Not sure how much longer it has left.

Sounds like me last weekend vacuuming the car.

I don’t have a shop vac down the shore so I used the old upright (with a hose) that the previous owners left. I had a lot of sand to suck up and it took awhile. By the time I was finished that vacuum was smelling like it was going to burn up! I guess it’s not made for that type of use in 85 degree temps!

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I have been using an Ego battery operated string trimmer for several years now. When the first battery got weak after 4 or 5 years, I bought a complete new unit. The battery was $129, and the new unit (with string trimmer, battery, and charger) was $179. I added an Ego chain saw about 4 years ago, and an Ego leaf blower last year.

I do believe it makes good sense to stick with one brand. I have 2 battery operated drill / drivers, and 1 battery operated impact driver. All 3 are different makes with different batteries, but they were bought on sale for very cheap, so I don't mind.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    qbrozen said:

————————————————
    Black and Decker tools have been junk for more than 30 years or so. Fortunately, I don’t know this first hand but I know a few people who do. I have a couple 110 volt Black and Decker drills that are over 40 years old and they are fine but I rarely use them because they are 110 volt drills.

Dewalt is made by Black and Decker and is supposed to be a better product but I don’t like those either. About 20 years ago I bought a 110 volt Dewalt heavy duty variable speed drill. Didn’t use it for years but decided to use it at flip number 3 to drive a 4 inch hole saw. You will wear down any battery operated drill quickly driving hole saws that size so that’s why I decided to used it. It worked fine for a few holes then I heard the bearing making noises. That thing ain’t going to last much longer so I’m done with Dewalt too.

We have had good results with Home Depot’s Ridgid brand 20 volt battery operated drills and impact drivers so that’s what we’ve been using. They have taken a beating and are still going strong. But even if they wear out tomorrow they have earned their keep.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    interesting. I was always under the impression Dewalt was top of the line contractor grade stuff. Just can't win these days.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Yep, I think the items I have are fine for someone just doing stuff around the house. I wanted everything to be on the same battery ecosystem. I have 2 18V batteries and 2 40V batteries - between these, I will likely never run out before I can recharge. Only quirk has been the failure of a charger at ~3 years old. Small price to pay - I don't want to store gasoline in the garage or maintain little gas engines.
    tjc78 said:

@fintail said:

I have no issues with my older Ryobi drill, circular saw etc. They run great on the newer Lithium batteries and perfect for a homeowner

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

Anyone read about the case where a Tesla fanboy had a son that killed himself driving 130 MPH+, but now the once huge fans, are now suing Tesla for removing a speed limiter setting.

Of course, they don't take any accountability for the driver that was driving (their son) driving like a maniac.

So now there IS a correlation between speed and accidents? I’m surprised to hear this from you of all people 😇

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-ne-tesla-driver-speeding-ntsb-20191220-phin6vhpyvatnhgf5zfeu4yswa-story.html

Nope, still no correlation for anyone with a brain. I've driven 130 and I'm still here to type about it :smile:
    You might have missed the real factors, such as Tesla, young son, residential roads (assuming). That guy was going to kill himself unless his limiter was 0.0 MPH, which it wasn't, so case dismissed; sorry parents, but you are frivolous law suit supporters.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

Anyone read about the case where a Tesla fanboy had a son that killed himself driving 130 MPH+, but now the once huge fans, are now suing Tesla for removing a speed limiter setting.

Of course, they don't take any accountability for the driver that was driving (their son) driving like a maniac.

So now there IS a correlation between speed and accidents? I’m surprised to hear this from you of all people 😇

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-ne-tesla-driver-speeding-ntsb-20191220-phin6vhpyvatnhgf5zfeu4yswa-story.html

Tesla.... young boy.... residential streets.... no, speed was not a factor. After all, even the frivolous law suit parents say the fire killed the boy, not impact. Of course, what started the fire? That boy needed a speed limiter set at 0.00 MPH to save him.

:neutral:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited July 2022

@andres3 said:
    Tesla.... young boy.... residential streets.... no, speed was not a factor. After all, even the frivolous law suit parents say the fire killed the boy, not impact. Of course, what started the fire? That boy needed a speed limiter set at 0.00 MPH to save him.

So it would have ended better if he was in a Mustang?

I don’t think it was a residential street from reading the article. It seems that he needed practice with high speed drifting.

But speed was not a factor? Just the rate at which he achieved speed because it was a Tesla?

Please enlighten me

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

I just saw this in one of my newsfeeds, the picture is from Indio, CA. The story was about the drought conditions in California. This definitely says something about California. I'm not sure exactly what, but something.

ON EDIT: Looking at that picture, the word "surreal" kept coming into my mind. I looked up the definition of "surreal":

marked by the intense irrational reality of a dream

Yeah, that fits.

I’d go nuts living that close to my neighbors. Why bother to have individual houses? I’ve visited people in California and that density isn’t unusual.
    ———————————————
    You have to look at this positively. Those are the neighborhoods where electric lawn mowers can actually get the job done on one charge. Plus, no rusted cars live in that hood. I can see jealousy showing here.

jmonroe
    You could mow those lawns with nail clippers in under 30 minutes. Around here that subdivision wouldn't be allowed to have been built.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    @henryn
    andres3 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

The family claims the battery caused the fire...that a gasser would not have gone up in flames. Apparently gas cars can go up in flames too, not very often. Not sure of the point......maybe battery cars are not as safe because of the possibility of a bad fire.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    “ Apparently gas cars can go up in flames too, not very often.”

You should drive a Kia then. Although it seems that any car with a high pressure fuel pump can get into trouble.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    henryn said:

I have been using an Ego battery operated string trimmer for several years now. When the first battery got weak after 4 or 5 years, I bought a complete new unit. The battery was $129, and the new unit (with string trimmer, battery, and charger) was $179. I added an Ego chain saw about 4 years ago, and an Ego leaf blower last year.

I do believe it makes good sense to stick with one brand. I have 2 battery operated drill / drivers, and 1 battery operated impact driver. All 3 are different makes with different batteries, but they were bought on sale for very cheap, so I don't mind.

I just had surgery and am on a limit of how much I can lift for a month. I have 7 + acres and about 1/2 of it is lawn so I have a lot of trimming to do. So I just got an EGO string trimmer. I'm pretty impressed. It does tall stiff weeds and the battery lasts a pretty long time. It also charged up a lot faster than my other tools.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options

@sb55 said:
    I just had surgery and am on a limit of how much I can lift for a month. I have 7 + acres and about 1/2 of it is lawn so I have a lot of trimming to do. So I just got an EGO string trimmer. I'm pretty impressed. It does tall stiff weeds and the battery lasts a pretty long time. It also charged up a lot faster than my other tools.

Battery operated for that much lawn? Hope you got 3 chargers and half a dozen batteries.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    qbrozen said:

@sb55 said:

Battery operated for that much lawn? Hope you got 3 chargers and half a dozen batteries.

It's 7 acres.. you don't have to do it all, the same day. Some farmer you'd make. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@driver100 said:
    @henryn
    The family claims the battery caused the fire...that a gasser would not have gone up in flames. Apparently gas cars can go up in flames too, not very often. Not sure of the point......maybe battery cars are not as safe because of the possibility of a bad fire.

I reread the story and looked at the NTSB site and it was in a residential area. He was going 116 mph in a 30 mph zone (around a curve).

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/HAB1908.pdf

• Options
    @mjfloyd1 Good info. Maybe they have to do an autopsy, see if he died from the impact, or from the flames!

• Options
    That all could have happened at 70mph. We'll never know.

In any case, what's the point here? Lower the speed limit in that area to 15mph? Sure, that would have prevented this from happening.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Report said driver was still breathing after the accident.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

You should drive a Kia then. Although it seems that any car with a high pressure fuel pump can get into trouble.

Apparently, and I just read this yesterday, a car with a full tank of gas is less likely to explode than one with only a little bit of gas in the tank.
    Do you really think a KIA is more likely to go up in flames?

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited July 2022

Some EVs look pretty strange and ugly but this Chinese HiPhi X entry is not one of them them. Enjoy and comment.
    https://youtu.be/aumWxZLUT28

• Options
    driver100 said:

Apparently, and I just read this yesterday, a car with a full tank of gas is less likely to explode than one with only a little bit of gas in the tank.
    They’ve had some recalls specifically related to that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    driver100 said:

Certain H/K models have had years of problems, both with engine fires for a couple of different reasons, or underhood fires relating somehow to an ABS flaw.

What is explosive is gasoline vapor. I have seen demos where a lit match is tossed into a bucket of gasoline and nothing happens. With a low level in the tank, there is a lot of vapor to go kaboom.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@qbrozen said:
    That all could have happened at 70mph. We'll never know.

In any case, what's the point here? Lower the speed limit in that area to 15mph? Sure, that would have prevented this from happening.

The point is whatever you want it to be.

Odd that the Tesla was supposed to be speed limited to 85 mph after a prior speeding ticket. I didn’t see that that was ever taken off although I only skimmed the article.

• Options
    @ab348 Thanks, that would explain why.

• Options
    andres3 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

Crappy parenting is probably the key factor. Now zero accountability richdad is trying to cash in a little more, maybe to compensate for what he did wrong in the beginning.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited July 2022
    fintail said:

andres3 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@andres3 said:

Crappy parenting is probably the key factor. Now zero accountability richdad is trying to cash in a little more, maybe to compensate for what he did wrong in the beginning.
    I concur. Also, as is popular these days of no accountability, claiming the car is totally at fault rather being a factor after the fatal injuries were suffered hellps distract people from more closely investigating the family's failure in parenting.

I recall several years back a wealthy bedroom area for Cincy Metro had a youth who had a major accident in parents' Tesla at high speed. May have been on prom night?

One of several links for "Ohio Mason tesla accident prom."
    https://www.journal-news.com/news/fatal-monroe-prom-night-crash-lawsuit-settles/HcfSjvJjmNhHevX85w3bgO/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Boy, if you think your good parenting can keep you from having a delinquent teenager, then I've got some news for you... :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

@sb55 said:

Well, no, not that many. But probably more than one if he's going to do it all in one chunk. And it depends on just how much trimming he does. Some places have a lot to trim, others not so much. How many fence lines, how many ditches?

The Ego 2.5 AH battery which comes with the string trimmer is good for about 40 to 45 minutes of run time (advertised 45, and it does come close). With age, the run time does get shorter. I presently have two of the 2.5 AH batteries, one fairly new still good for 40 minutes, and one several years old, good for about half that time. After a solid hour of working out in the sun, I'm usually ready for a break. For a professional, who needs to use this 8 hours a day, battery operated is obviously not the way to go.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options

@mjfloyd1 said:

Odd. But OK. In that case, thank you for your commentary on the impact of tea leaves on the collapse of the Ming Dynasty.

• Options
    henryn said:

qbrozen said:

@sb55 said:

Well, no, not that many. But probably more than one if he's going to do it all in one chunk. And it depends on just how much trimming he does. Some places have a lot to trim, others not so much. How many fence lines, how many ditches?

The Ego 2.5 AH battery which comes with the string trimmer is good for about 40 to 45 minutes of run time (advertised 45, and it does come close). With age, the run time does get shorter. I presently have two of the 2.5 AH batteries, one fairly new still good for 40 minutes, and one several years old, good for about half that time. After a solid hour of working out in the sun, I'm usually ready for a break. For a professional, who needs to use this 8 hours a day, battery operated is obviously not the way to go.
    ————————————————-
    Years ago I had a 12 volt trimmer, I can’t remember the brand but it was better than I expected, at least it was for a couple of years. I don’t have that much to do but it was good enough. However, like you mentioned, the run time decreases with age and it got to the point after about 4 years it barely could get the job done. Finally one nice Spring day to start the trimming season again I grab the trimmer and the battery was dead and wouldn’t hold a charge. So, I had to get a new trimmer. I got a gas powered one and it’s been going strong for about 15 years now. It always has the same power as it did when it was new. It shows no signs of quitting but when it does I’ll try a battery job again. They are much better now so that one should take me to the end of my trimming days.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    edited July 2022

@qbrozen said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

Odd. But OK. In that case, thank you for your commentary on the impact of tea leaves on the collapse of the Ming Dynasty.

That’s odd

I gave information. People obviously interpret information differently

With the beginning of the Ming dynasty, tea cakes went out of production (with the exception of those needed for barter trade with nomadic tribes), and loose tea leaves came into use. Ming tea is brewed by pouring boiling water over leaves placed in a vessel.

https://teacup.media/teahistorypodcastepisodes/ep-9-the-ming-dynasty-tea-revolution

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited July 2022
    sb55 said:

henryn said:

I only have to cut 2.5 actes. My wife cuts the front and side yards adjacent to the house using my EGO 21" push mower. The rest of the acreage I cut with either my 54" or 42" ZTR mowers, which takes about an hour, tops.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited July 2022

Fun day today…

No beach because my daughter was allergic to something and is on steroids to clear up her skin. That means no sun. Ugh

Then my Nest thermostat which has been fine for nearly a year is all of a sudden not keeping it’s charge. Very common issue. Looks like adding a common wire fixes it. Well in the condo that is easier said than done. Dig deeper and there is a $25 Nest module that can fix the problem. No one has it in stock, so Amazon it is.

Finally, wife wanted a dimmer for the dining room light. Ran to Lowes and grabbed one. Went to install it and as soon as I pulled the switch out the wire broke at the back of the box leaving just enough to splice it back on. Fortunately I had some wire nuts in the storage room from a light I replaced. Blessing in disguise I guess, that could have arced and caused issues.

I think I’m done now .. don’t want to break anything else.

• Options
    On a related note, the sound bar for my TV wasn't working. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Now it works, and I'm pretty sure that makes me a master electrician.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

On a related note, the sound bar for my TV wasn't working. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Now it works, and I'm pretty sure that makes me a master electrician.

And IT professional

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    kyfdx said:

And you learned that here on Edmunds! That's the hot fix for tech items: unplug while operating forcing a complete restart of the modules.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Sometimes powering , say at a power strip won't work. You have to physically unplug the device.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

The Audi is at the dealer being serviced. Even though I had an appointment on Friday they had some type of issue with another car which prevented them to work on ours. Should be ready on Monday. In the meantime I parked in the Q5s spot as it allows access to both sides. It almost appears the garage is color cordinated to the car or vice-versa. Nope.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    A water heater in the garage wouldn't work for us unless the garage was heated, too.
  • Options

A water heater in the garage wouldn't work for us unless the garage was heated, too.

————————————————-
    When you live in SC you don’t have to worry about a cold garage. When I had my house built in SC I didn’t want it taking up space in the garage so I had it placed in the high part of the crawl space under the house. I took advantage of a lot that sloped down from the street towards the back yard. You gotta go with the flow.

jmonroe
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

Same in Seattle. Our hvac and water tank along with fire suppression system is in the garage.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    I've been debating towing the Mustang to OH or hiring a service to do it.
    U-Haul indicates Explorer can do it using a 2 axle car trailer.
    Also messaging with a hauler through Shiply(broker) service who qbrozen recommended when I asked for options.
    Lots of quotes and seems to be good info from Shiply.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I've been debating towing the Mustang to OH or hiring a service to do it.
    U-Haul indicates Explorer can do it using a 2 axle car trailer.
    Also messaging with a hauler through Shiply(broker) service who qbrozen recommended when I asked for options.
    Lots of quotes and seems to be good info from Shiply.

How much would it cost to have it shipped vs. the wear and tear on your car combined with the risk of a mishap on the way?

• Options
    @oldfarmer50,
    I just booked a carrier using Shiply(suggested by qbrozen).
    Movers are kind of hedging on one 26 foot truck to move our stuff.
    Will save a towing trip if I have to rent a trailer for any overflow that can't fit on the moving van.
  • Options

@tjc78 said:
    Fun day today…

No beach because my daughter was allergic to something and is on steroids to clear up her skin. That means no sun. Ugh

Then my Nest thermostat which has been fine for nearly a year is all of a sudden not keeping it’s charge. Very common issue. Looks like adding a common wire fixes it. Well in the condo that is easier said than done. Dig deeper and there is a $25 Nest module that can fix the problem. No one has it in stock, so Amazon it is.

Finally, wife wanted a dimmer for the dining room light. Ran to Lowes and grabbed one. Went to install it and as soon as I pulled the switch out the wire broke at the back of the box leaving just enough to splice it back on. Fortunately I had some wire nuts in the storage room from a light I replaced. Blessing in disguise I guess, that could have arced and caused issues.

I think I’m done now .. don’t want to break anything else.

Coincidentally, I am also having a problem with the nest thermostat at our condo. One of the guests must have messed around with it. I can no longer access it from my phone. It would explain why the electric bill was $100 this past month. The air-conditioning must be running nonstop.

• Options
    @qbrozen,
    You mean renter? :)