Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    corvette said:

If I were in the market, I'd consider buying a used 4xe in the $30k range. A lot of vehicle for the money.

There seems to be a big spread between what dealers are giving on trade and what they’re asking retail for the same car.

Purely anecdotally, it seems to me the dealers are going to extremes in hedging their bets on a downward trend on used car prices, but they are holding on to the inflated asking prices from a year ago as best they can. The $3-5k spread between trade offers and retail (actual expected sale price) seems to be more like $8-10k these days.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Happy with my M240 softie purchase earlier this year. Bought a car in each of the last 3 years, not sure how I can keep the streak going. Luckily, no snowstorm yet to make my heart break seeing the A7 or M240 having to be dug out!
    If I am to remain living in my home, wife's X3 will not be left outdoors!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175

My loaner has what BMW calls Auto Hold. When it is enabled and you come to a complete stop you can take your foot of the brake pedal and the brakes will not release until you touch the accelerator.
    Mercedes has the same feature but to use it you simply push the brake a bit harder once you have stopped. I like that approach better because you don't need to toggle the feature on or off.

I enjoy that feature a lot. It is also handy on steep hills, shades of the old Studebaker Hill Holder (the MB-Stude link continues). When I drive another car, I miss the ability to be lazy - also handy in a stop light race as you can hover above the accelerator.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    breld said:

Two more shopping days in the year (at lease in those states where dealers are closed on Sundays)…anyone gonna make a last minute punch?

Something tells me we’re not getting our Bronco Heritage Edition…

————————————————
    C’mon man, think positive. You’ll probably get the first punch in 2024.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396

Not here. We’re headed on a cruise next week out of Florida after seeing some family.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559

Nor here. I've been working on fleet reduction actually.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

I skip car buying years when I’m buying a house so 2024 is not looking promising!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

I make no promises either way. I know I’ll SELL some.

Did I mention that I keep thinking, “hmmm… if I sell the Daihatsu, Alto, Charger, and Maserati, that would pay for a lightly used 20-21 Charger Scat Pack.” But then think how silly it is when I drive so little anymore. Besides, the Maser is just as capable (I think) as a new Scat.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    breld said:

corvette said:

If I were in the market, I'd consider buying a used 4xe in the $30k range. A lot of vehicle for the money.

There seems to be a big spread between what dealers are giving on trade and what they’re asking retail for the same car.

Purely anecdotally, it seems to me the dealers are going to extremes in hedging their bets on a downward trend on used car prices, but they are holding on to the inflated asking prices from a year ago as best they can. The $3-5k spread between trade offers and retail (actual expected sale price) seems to be more like $8-10k these days.
    Considering on the total lack of care a good portion of the population give their cars I’m betting dealers are afraid of getting a trade-in with serious problems. Even here, what is the advice on what to do with a car that has serious problems….sell it!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    corvette said:

Made an appointment for Tuesday to get an estimate on repairing the Maverick. Hopefully they will be able to schedule the repair quickly once they've taken a look at it. </blockquote

Is it worth filing a diminished value claim?

• Options
    breld said:

Two more shopping days in the year (at lease in those states where dealers are closed on Sundays)…anyone gonna make a last minute punch?

Autotrader, CarGurus…surely you can find one before years end😎
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

breld said:

Autotrader, CarGurus…surely you can find one before years end😎
    ————————————————
    Probably but if he gets the first punch in here in 2024, Edmunds waives his January 2024 dues.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    mjfloyd1 said:

Is it worth filing a diminished value claim?

I will probably try to, assuming I can get an appraisal. I'm sure it's arguable on a bumper repaint and trim replacement, but "it will have to be disclosed when it's sold or traded." The fraudulent behavior of their insured is also a good talking point.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

….what does one do here when we buy cars we like?

Trade it for another model of the same car with different trim level/options... Did you really have to ask?!? :D
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,366
    corvette said:

….what does one do here when we buy cars we like?

Trade it for another model of the same car with different trim level/options... Did you really have to ask?!? :D
    @breld has done it, several times.

@stickguy sold his first Maverick for another one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Have been in bed since late Monday night with a bad cold/cough/sore throat plus a case of vertigo thrown in to add a bit of spice! Called out from work Tuesday and Friday but, they got me for tomorrow it seems. Still waiting to hear about Sunday and Monday. Hate getting sick so often but luckily they let me make it up as I have offered to stop completely as I never know exactly when the vertigo is going to show itself. Or even tried for a very flexible schedule as I hate to let them down on certain days. But one thing I do know is not to drive when having a vertigo attach! Don't want to hurt anyone else plus myself!! Just want it to go away & never ever come back!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Sorry to hear you're having the vertigo still again.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438

@Sandman6472 said:
    Have been in bed since late Monday night with a bad cold/cough/sore throat plus a case of vertigo thrown in to add a bit of spice! Called out from work Tuesday and Friday but, they got me for tomorrow it seems. Still waiting to hear about Sunday and Monday. Hate getting sick so often but luckily they let me make it up as I have offered to stop completely as I never know exactly when the vertigo is going to show itself. Or even tried for a very flexible schedule as I hate to let them down on certain days. But one thing I do know is not to drive when having a vertigo attach! Don't want to hurt anyone else plus myself!! Just want it to go away & never ever come back!!!

Feel better sandy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Guess where we lived in Briarcliff Manor had all paved roads. Drove around the area in 2006 as I was staying in Westport with family. Did like our little village of Briarcliff but must admit, Westport is a much nice place to live. But got used to playing or "fort" as we called it, old abandoned train tracks from the Putnam Valley line weaving in and out of Briarcliff on the Pocantico River, down by Long Hill Rd. East and South State Road. So much living history that we didn't take for granted as kids as we always had something to explore. Or, we'd take the bus down to Ossining or west to White Plains. Once we had our bar mitzvah's, we could take the train in Grand Central Station which was cool as "the company" had box seats at Madison Square Garden and remember celebrating the start of 1969 after a game in Times Square. Too many folks doing things I'd only seen in magazines...a big wake up call for shy kid of just 14 years of age. My three other siblings were so grown up compared to little ole' me, something made abundantly clear to me this particular evening. And didn't even have any idea that within the next year, we'd of packed up the only house I'd ever known and be living to a place called Plantation Florida, just due west of Ft. Lauderdale Florida. Amazing how life changing decisions can be made for others, by others, which changed the whole trajectory of the rest of our lives without a say in the matter. A few life changing events happened in those early months of 1969 that led me to a place I'm still living in today! And out of the whole family of twelve, I'm the last one to tell the tale and make a new life in a brand new area. It's been a wild ride I'll say & have it enjoyed it mostly though there are a few things I wish I had more decision making as it was my life to be honest! But, here we are about 68 years later and the "beat still goes on"!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

So tonight I went on sort of a wild goose chase for my kids. They wanted these 3lb weighted dinosaur stuffed animals from Target (I’d rather them play with stuffed animals than scroll). Our target here in town didn’t have, none of the closer ones had any in stock either. I drove to a target by my store in the Bronx (an experience for sure) and they didn’t have any. I went on the target website and found the target in Mt Kisco, NY had plenty in stock. Driving back to Stamford was on a road that wasn’t exactly paved. Apparently these ultra rich people like this. Good thing I had the Tacoma.

————————————————
    Isn’t this where the fun starts for a Jeep owner?

jmonroe
  • Options
    Which today has led me to think about what would've happened to us all if my folks waited a few years to move south or at least until I graduated high school. Leaving schools in early 10th grade wasn't nearly as rough as it was for my older brother who was in eleventh grade and eventually graduated as valedictorian. Was more like a do over for my twin & myself and turned out to be the best thing my folks ever did for us, truth be told. And would I change any part of it? Well, maybe just a couple of things but over all, it turned out pretty good!

• Options

@28firefighter said:
    There is absolutely nothing out at the moment at a reasonable price point that would make me change. Thats almost depressing….what does one do here when we buy cars we like?

I agree with you. There is nothing that I’m drooling over. There are a lot of nice cars, fast cars, & cars that handle well, but nothing jumps out at me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

I don’t know what I would get either. Even harder when you aren’t sure what type of vehicle you need!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    nyccarguy said:

So tonight I went on sort of a wild goose chase for my kids. They wanted these 3lb weighted dinosaur stuffed animals from Target (I’d rather them play with stuffed animals than scroll). Our target here in town didn’t have, none of the closer ones had any in stock either. I drove to a target by my store in the Bronx (an experience for sure) and they didn’t have any. I went on the target website and found the target in Mt Kisco, NY had plenty in stock. Driving back to Stamford was on a road that wasn’t exactly paved. Apparently these ultra rich people like this. Good thing I had the Tacoma.

I grew up in South Salem, NY. We lived on a dirt road. But that was the 60's and 70's before it became trendy to live in upper Westchester. I now live on a dirt road in Vermont. Since it still hasn't been cold, we are in perpetual "mud season" until the road freezes. Then it will be mud for while until the dust season begins. Keeping a car clean is close to impossible.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Dreaming about swapping the Cayman for something else... :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited December 2023

Funny you mention being sick. Half my team was out sick Thursday. Must be from customers sneezing on the steering wheel.

Thursday was also a day of excitement in our division. One chase driver wrecked the van when he hit a deer in the fog. Another drifted into a guardrail on the NYS Thruway and as I was sitting in my chase van talking to the boss I saw one of our more elderly drivers turn too sharply and drag a pickup truck along a big steel support beam.

Just another day at the office.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@kyfdx said:
    Dreaming about swapping the Cayman for something else... :o

Paging @breld??😂

• Options
    “ was on a road that wasn’t exactly paved. Apparently these ultra rich people like this. Good thing I had the Tacoma.”

Yes, yes we do.

• Options
    Reminds me of the way back days of making beer runs from Wilton, CT (dry town) to Vista, NY (less dry). IIRC, some were dirt roads. No Jeeps or Tacos then, I drove a '71 Saab 99! Other cars in my group: when engine not on fire, my best friend had a '73 Vega, an Olds Cutlas convertible (might have been a 442), a Mazda Cosmo! and a Monte Carlo. An occasional Vista Cruiser, same family as the Cosmo (as well as a Bavaria).

Part of Newtown Turnpike in Weston, again IIRC, remained unpaved (To the lovely and perpetually between owners Cobbs Mill Inn).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I like the snow poles. When I was very young I lived near Mammoth Lakes on the East side of the Sierra, and there were six-foot orange snow poles all over the place. They were very necessary the winter of '51-'52.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

@oldfarmer50 said:
    “ was on a road that wasn’t exactly paved. Apparently these ultra rich people like this. Good thing I had the Tacoma.”

Yes, yes we do.

Looks exactly like my parents’ driveway. NJ has public roads in worse condition.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

I like the snow poles. When I was very young I lived near Mammoth Lakes on the East side of the Sierra, and there were six-foot orange snow poles all over the place. They were very necessary the winter of '51-'52.

If this was a normal winter those poles might be buried by now.

• Options

————————————————-
    Now here’s a poster buddy with a problem. He likes 6 foot snow poles. :'( If I saw even one of those where I live, I’d go South permanently. No visiting, no snow birding, PERMANENTLY.

jmonroe
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

Big DIY car maintenance day:
    Replaced the rear wiper blade on the GTI.
    $12 Bosch part via Amazon
    Approx. one minute

So, you are "The Guy!"

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

kyfdx said:

Approx. one minute

So, you are "The Guy!"
    Yeah, if he wasn't closed on the weekend, then who knows? B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Approx. one minute

————————————————
    Some folks are looking for credit doing anything. :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    sb55 said:

Reminds me of the way back days of making beer runs from Wilton, CT (dry town) to Vista, NY (less dry). IIRC, some were dirt roads. No Jeeps or Tacos then, I drove a '71 Saab 99! Other cars in my group: when engine not on fire, my best friend had a '73 Vega, an Olds Cutlas convertible (might have been a 442), a Mazda Cosmo! and a Monte Carlo. An occasional Vista Cruiser, same family as the Cosmo (as well as a Bavaria).

Part of Newtown Turnpike in Weston, again IIRC, remained unpaved (To the lovely and perpetually between owners Cobbs Mill Inn).

Here's my wife and I in around 1982 at Cobb's Mill Inn when my sister got married there. Wish I still had that car.
    ————————————————
    Good looking couple and car. I hope Mrs. @sb55 didn’t scratch your car with any sequins.

jmonroe
  • Options

@kyfdx said:
    Approx. one minute

I forgot you had that car still. How many miles are on it?

• Options

@kyfdx said:
    Approx. one minute

Impressed that you didn’t need “the guy”😇

• Options

@breld - I see two east coast places with Broncos (even Raptors) at invoice. You could be the talk of the neighborhood for at least a couple of months

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    sb55 said:

Here's my wife and I in around 1982 at Cobb's Mill Inn when my sister got married there. Wish I still had that car.

I bet you do! Retirement = Funded!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

@sb55 said:
    Wish I still had that car.

Me too.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd