Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,718
    Cool pics, Uplander! I'm stuck doing the work-from-home thing, so it's fun to live vicariously through you!

When I was 12 years old, my grandparents took me on a long camping trip, about 8 weeks, where we worked our way out to Grandmom's brother and sister-in-law in Long Beach CA, and then back. In Tennessee, I remember going to the 1982 World's Fair, and being disappointed. Mostly because I was hoping it would be more like an amusement park, with a bunch of roller coasters and thrill rides. We also went to Andrew Jackson's Hermitage, which I had no interest in. I have a feeling that, at the time, I would have had no interest whatsoever in Graceland, but wouldn't mind seeing it today. Back then, I was more into nature stuff...mountains, rivers, national parks and such. Or amusement parks. Historical places didn't really interest me as a kid.

I remember my Mom and Grandparents making me keep a journal of that trip in a spiral notebook. I hated writing it down at the time, but did it, grudgingly. Now, I wish I knew where that journal was...if I still have it packed away somewhere, that is. I do remember a lot of the places we went to on that trip, and I've always had a pipe dream of sorts, of re-creating that trip route some day. Although this time, if I did it, I'd add Graceland to it!
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,156
    edited April 25
    Graceland really exceeded my expectations. Just don't try to drive down Elvis Presley Blvd. to look for a familiar chain restaurant to eat. Besides a McDonald's, there aren't any!

That evening for dinner, I had to drive about eight miles from my hotel near the airport, to eat even at an Outback--in Mississippi, LOL.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,236
    andre1969 said:

Cool pics, Uplander! I'm stuck doing the work-from-home thing, so it's fun to live vicariously through you!

When I was 12 years old, my grandparents took me on a long camping trip, about 8 weeks, where we worked our way out to Grandmom's brother and sister-in-law in Long Beach CA, and then back. In Tennessee, I remember going to the 1982 World's Fair, and being disappointed. Mostly because I was hoping it would be more like an amusement park, with a bunch of roller coasters and thrill rides. We also went to Andrew Jackson's Hermitage, which I had no interest in. I have a feeling that, at the time, I would have had no interest whatsoever in Graceland, but wouldn't mind seeing it today. Back then, I was more into nature stuff...mountains, rivers, national parks and such. Or amusement parks. Historical places didn't really interest me as a kid.

I remember my Mom and Grandparents making me keep a journal of that trip in a spiral notebook. I hated writing it down at the time, but did it, grudgingly. Now, I wish I knew where that journal was...if I still have it packed away somewhere, that is. I do remember a lot of the places we went to on that trip, and I've always had a pipe dream of sorts, of re-creating that trip route some day. Although this time, if I did it, I'd add Graceland to it!

Do you remember the Wigsphere?

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,718
    fintail said:

Yep, I remember it! I also remember driving past it, back in 2002 or 2003 when I went out to see some friends in Texas. Kinda cool that they kept it all those years.

IIRC, in the "Simpsons" episode, didn't the kids somehow manage to rent a Crown Vic-looking car to get there? And I seem to recall the sphere falling on it and squashing it?

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416
    A song about borrowing a Cadillac from Elvis...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtwtATK5X0Y

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited April 25
    andre1969 said:

fintail said:

Yep, I remember it! I also remember driving past it, back in 2002 or 2003 when I went out to see some friends in Texas. Kinda cool that they kept it all those years.

IIRC, in the "Simpsons" episode, didn't the kids somehow manage to rent a Crown Vic-looking car to get there? And I seem to recall the sphere falling on it and squashing it?

If I ever end up in Knoxville, that's the must-see landmark.

I couldn't find the car on imcdb, but this image supports it being a 92+ Crown Vic (episode is from 1996, and it indeed is crushed by the Sunsphere):

On the world's fair note, Spokane hosted the 1974 event, and some of the original site is intact today - it resulted in the creation of a large park that is now the jewel of downtown, revitalizing an old industrial area. Then:

And now:

• Options
    edited April 25

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    edited April 25
    I used to go to Knoxville with work semi-regularly from the mid-'80's through early-'90's. We had an Rx warehouse there. Even though we were auditors, the people there were good to us, good-humored and fun. And I always loved to get prime rib at a restaurant called 'The Copper Cellar' there. I'm thinking I've mentioned that here before. I can remember the tower for the '82 World's Fair in town.

A FB friend of mine, when I posted a pic there of Graceland's 'Jungle Room', asked me if there "...was a pretty young thing, waiting for the King, down in the Jungle Room". From Marc Cohn's great single, "Walking In Memphis".
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,008
    edited April 25

I was a Junior at UT during the 82 World's Fair. Great memories of the German Beer Garden, the Sunsphere and the renovated L&N train station that was originally slated to be razed. My younger sister worked at the Copper Cellar then. She made great tips from the visitors. The food was good and they were known for the prime rib.
    Regas Restaurant was another Knoxville institution. If I recall, coat and tie was required.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,882
    I was a bartender on a "riverboat" in Cincinnati in 1982. Our company taking a boat down to Knoxville for the World's Fair was a big deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,732
    kyfdx said:

I was a bartender on a "riverboat" in Cincinnati in 1982. Our company taking a boat down to Knoxville for the World's Fair was a big deal.

The Delta Queen?
  • Options
    texases said:

kyfdx said:

The Delta Queen?
    Not even close.. BB Riverboats

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Ah, after my time there. Sounds like that was their big break:
    "BB Riverboats has had the distinction of being awarded the exclusive rights for riverboat cruises in the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. This was the company's first big break and really propelled it into the future. "
  • Options
    texases said:

"BB Riverboats has had the distinction of being awarded the exclusive rights for riverboat cruises in the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. This was the company's first big break and really propelled it into the future. "

I like to think it was my superior bartending skills that put them over the top.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,826
    There's very little chance that you're wrong on that one. LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    texases said:

They were owned by the same family that owned the Mike Fink floating restaurant in Covington. The Bernsteins. You might remember that. Pretty sure it was there from the early '70s.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yep, I remember the Mike Fink. Covington and Newport were party destinations for folks in Cincy.
  • Options
    RE.: "Regas" restaurant in Knoxville--was that in downtown? I know I know the name, but never went there. My boss' boss liked it, but my regular boss, who was at Knoxville more than his boss, liked "Copper Cellar" better so that's where we'd go.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,008

@uplanderguy said:
    RE.: "Regas" restaurant in Knoxville--was that in downtown? I know I know the name, but never went there. My boss' boss liked it, but my regular boss, who was at Knoxville more than his boss, liked "Copper Cellar" better so that's where we'd go.

It was on the edge of downtown and could be seen from the interstate near "malfunction junction" as it was referred to by the locals. Many wrecks there.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    A couple funny images taken from FB. As a kid, "My Three Sons" was my favorite show, and in the color episodes, the ones I remember most, the Douglas family had a new full-sized Pontiac station wagon each season.

Someone pointed out in a recent rerun, that in one scene, the Pontiac changes from a '65 Catalina Safari to a '66 Catalina Safari, LOL!

Fred MacMurray was known to film an entire season's scenes in like a month's time, while the rest of the cast would have to complete the rest of the scenes without him, later. Although, this goof seems to be backwards of that!

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,404
    What the heck is this?

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,602
    Bronco Sport
    Chevy Traverse

Hyundai Veracruz

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Some of you like the 60's TV shows.
    How about this one?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtYckLIZnI
  • Options
    I started watching The Avengers when it premiered on ABC in 1966. I loved all of the British shows of that era; The Saint, Secret Agent (Danger Man), Strange Report, and The Prisoner.

• Options
    A lady posted this on FB recently. Her father bought it new and her mother drove it until she could drive no longer. It has 190K miles.

The fastback body style on the J-cars was hardly seen then, even, it seems, and to my eyes was the best-looking body style.

• Options
    When I was in 2nd grade, my best friend's mom had a white Cavalier "Type 10" fastback like that, then a new or nearly new car. I recall I was most impressed by the sunroof.
  • Options
    @michaell,
    I knew it was a Veracruz. Was trying to get a rise out of snakeweasel. ;)
  • Options

Went to a car storage club for dinner last night, good variety of cars:

• Options
    A Cybertruck in storage already?
  • Options

Yep, stood out like a sore thumb.

• Options
    Nice dry facility for it, keeps the warranty valid.
  • Options

@michaell,
    I knew it was a Veracruz. Was trying to get a rise out of snakeweasel. ;)

Kind of hard to glean your intentions from your original post. 😉

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,977

@Michaell said:
    Kind of hard to glean your intentions from your original post. 😉

I’m clueless on this one.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    snakeweasel had a Veracruz, if I'm not mistaken, but they were not common.
  • Options

@explorerx4 said:
    snakeweasel had a Veracruz, if I'm not mistaken, but they were not common.

No, he didn’t

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,760
    Walking doggie, a silver Aston Martin V8 Vantage coming up the hill. Wonder if it's a new neighbor?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    edited April 28
    Saw a first gen 4 Runner with no doors today, along with a 70s style hot rod 55 Chevy that seems to be a fair weather driveway ornament is back out for the season, and an 80-83 Corolla that looks rough but I think is still on the road.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,826
    Out today, on a cloudless day, I saw a 1984 Honda ATC 200ES.

:D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,760

Spotted today while lunching at a diner in Cortland, OH.

It's BS; it's mine. I drove it to my retirement volunteer gig at the Greenville, PA Historical Society and decided to drive the 62 miles home in 80-degree weather, entirely with the top down.

I feel younger! Reminded of riding on the back of a motorcycle, or riding a coaster. I'm probably even more hard-of-hearing now, but what fun.

Going there, I was pulled over by Ohio's finest for doing 65 in a 55. He was polite, as was I, and let me go without a ticket.

Lousy photo set up, but taken from my booth inside.

I guess you can't drive 55.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150
    Hooligan! B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    NOT driving 10 over will get a car on your bumper most roads around here...
  • Options
    edited April 29
    @uplanderguy,
    Maybe the trooper was inspired by this Junior Brown performance, it was only a couple days ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUzOKRFDkA
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699
    did he stop you thinking something was wrong because you were driving a Corvette too slow?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,977
    edited April 29

@stickguy said:
    did he stop you thinking something was wrong because you were driving a Corvette too slow?

Must have been a slow day to pull an older guy over in a Vette for 10 above the limit.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Saw a 55 Shoebox Chevy. Front and top were orange and back and lower were a dark gray and it had some polished rims.
    Couldn't get a pic but it was sweet.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    A friend of mine sent me some pics he took years ago in some guy's garage.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699
    some guy that really likes Ferraris. and has a lot of money.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited May 2
    Who does this person think they are, Glickenhaus?

I'll take the 288 GTO.