Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    racoonlodgeracoonlodge Member Posts: 34
    If you look towards the top of the baffle, you may notice you can see right through the front quarter panel to the front of the vehicle. This is why you may have to secure the "rubber" baffle....
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Paulpro,

We don't have it yet. I was hoping it would be ready with the redesign but, unfortunately, that is not the case.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, I told Tidester not to count his chickens (I quit making predictions about our search engine a year ago). Here's the latest:

jonahb "Town Hall Redesign 2002: Tell Us Your Thoughts" Jun 7, 2002 12:12pm

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I heard you! Notice I didn't make any new predictions here though Jonah says "soon" which I suppose is adequately vague. ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    Bakednut, you mentioned "The Bilstien shocks that the truck is already equipped with cant get more refined." Can you elaborate on this? I would like to stiffen up my ride a little on my LTZ, but have not found any after market shocks or sway bars.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    pauleulpauleul Member Posts: 116
    Would you please try to stay on topic here. I'd hate to have to delete your posts!

Hey, that was fun, no wonder you guys do it so much. ;)
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Actually I would like to tighten up the initial "roll" when you take a corner. Looking at it, the front and rear stabilizer bars look plenty adequate, the front especially is huge, and I like the feel and ride of the shocks.

Has anyone seen a urethane replacement bushing kit for the front stabilizer bar?

Hopefully in a year or two there will be more aftermarket choices for the triplets.
  • Options
    bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    We have a black 02 LTZ TrailBlazer and I have, for many years used a chamois to dry my vehicles with. This is the first black vehicle I've owned and as with all black cars you can see the swirls in the finish when the sun hits it a certain direction. What do others use to dry off their cars with? I have a sneaky suspicion that chamois will scratch the finish.
  • Options
    missouri2missouri2 Member Posts: 41
    a electric leaf blower works great, gets all of the water from around lights and door handles. if any water is left on your truck use 100% cotton towels to finish
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I bet the front roll bar is hollow. If it were solid that roll bar would probably cause some serious head toss.

GAM2
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You guys will be able to get thicker sway bars, stiffer springs in no time I'm sure.

That is one nice attribute of the triplets front coil springs mean you can get some stiffer ones and replace them cheap and easily. As for shocks, even though the ones in there are Bilstien, I'll bet if you put in some REAL Bilstiens it would make a difference.

As for sway bar bushings, you should be able to measure the bar and buy a set from JC Whitney for about $10.

-mike
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    bobed2121:
    I like a product called the Absorber, which is smoother and picks up more water than a natural chamois. It costs about $8.99 at Walmart/AutoZone/Pepboys, etc. You just lightly pull it along or blot the water, and it sure does absorb without streaking or waterspots. I don't have a black vehicle (mine is pewter) so I'm not sure about swirling, but I've heard other people like it, too. You could also consider microfiber towels. These are very smooth and very absorptive, and also are good for dusting, cleaning glass, etc. Not all microfiber towels are alike; the ones with less polyester are better (a 70/30 mix is generally better than the 80/20 towels). The number of microfibers per square inch also makes a difference. The ones in stores are generally of lower quality (perhaps with the exception of Viper which have gotten some good remarks). Here are some sources of the good ones, and you can read about how microfibers work at these pages:
    http://www.neatitems.com/micro.htm
    http://www.yosteveshop.homestead.com/mt.html
    Proper Auto Care Microfiber
  • Options
    edf117edf117 Member Posts: 6
    Great forum! Thanks to the info on this message board, I am a very happy guy and my Envoy is too! Armed with a hand full of bulletins, I headed to my local GM dealer and received great results. The re-program of the PCM fixed the "fan from hell" noise and corrected a stutter in my acceleration. Parts are on order for the license plate housing (gasket) and a new heating duct to correct low air flow to the drivers feet. They want to have the body shop look at taking the fenders off to fix the foam rubber baffles (commonly called close-out panels). They also told me the inner seat brackets didn't come with covers. No problem! I'll head down to the GMC showroom with my trusty digital camera and provide them with a photo!
    I have 6,300 miles on my Envoy SLE and have averaged 14-17 mpg to date. I hope I can improve on that since the PCM reprogram. That is about the only issue that I have with this motor -- this thing kicks butt! :)

To GAM2:
    The body roll is more than what I prefer also -- but help is on the way from various aftermarket groups. Eibach (http://www.eibach.com/index1.htm) is offering a set of progressive Pro Kit springs (p/n is 3826.540) that lowers the front by 1.5" and rear by 2.0" too. Hotchkis Performance (https://www.hotchkis.net/secure_index.html) will have a set of sway bars available in a few months. I haven't found a shock replacement yet.

-Ed
  • Options
    mharris6mharris6 Member Posts: 10
    WE too have made great use of this forum.

Armed with all of the advice and TSPS, we are now happy Envoy campers!

If anyone can figure out a way to get the gas mileage up to where it is supposed to me, let us all know!!
  • Options
    mharris6mharris6 Member Posts: 10
    Try this on for size. If your envoy has a problem, immedaitley cal the ON STAr folks. they can get into the computer and see if there are an eror codes then and there!! If they find any, they will offer to call your dealer and put you on a 3-way, you On Star and your dealer.

Happened to us twice now and it helped both times.
  • Options
    travinatravina Member Posts: 2
    get the recall/service bulletins that you all are talking about?

I am seriously considering an Envoy but I am a bit concerned about all the recalls. If I bought one, I would want to be able to check and see that all of the fixes have been done BEFORE delivery.

Thanks,
    Travina
  • Options
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide shows most recalls and TSBs for most makes and models.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Travina,

One way to make absolutely sure that you choose a vehicle that is "up to date" is to look at the manufacurer date stamp on the inside of the driver's door. If you are test driving a vehicle that you are interested in, you can open the driver's side door and there should be a white sticker listing the recommended tire pressue and the build date/year. Personally, I would attempt to locate an Envoy that has a build date after April 2002!

Good Luck!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Any one care to explain or point to an explanation of how the Envoy's locking differential works? Is it automatic or does it need to be manually engaged in some way?
  • Options
    walk4walk4 Member Posts: 9
    It could be your axle CV joint that is getting bad. I had the same problem in my other car. Definitely check with your dealer again, because eventually this could cause loss of car control when turning.
  • Options
    mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    FYI, the triplets are rear-wheel drive. They don't have CV joints.
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    Check out this link for everything you want to know...
    http://www.eatonposi.com/prod2.htm

mtrammell, the 4wd triplets DO have CV joints on the front axles as do most IFS 4x4s.

Tim
  • Options
    bakednutbakednut Member Posts: 17
    FinishLine West has a TRICKED OUT Trailblazer. and the engineers who were outfitting that BADASS of a TB had tested and agreed that the Bilstien Shocks would be hard to beat. i also have a 99' Toyota Solara which is DECKED out with the TRD Mods, and have upgraded the shocks to Bilstien and coupled with Eibach Springs .... i DONT think suspension can get better on THAT car. I think bilstien is the best in the business when it comes to shocks, and im taking it from REAL world experience.
  • Options
    FYI, the front is indepentent suspension and DO have CV joints. You'll get clicking from the front CV joints if they are bad.

-mike
  • Options
    Have to agree bilstien are probably the best shocks for performance you can get on any vehicle. Off-road I'd opt for rancho 9000s cause they are adjustable and you can have nice soft on-road driving and stiffen it up for towing and/or offroading. If it's strickly onroad go with Bilstien aftermarket shocks.

-mike
  • Options
    sbindleysbindley Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know if the speakers with the Bose system contain their own ampplifiers or if they run just like normal speakers from a single amp that drives them all?

I want to upgrade the factory speakers with top notch components in front and coax's in rear.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott
  • Options
    thorljbthorljb Member Posts: 3
    Ordered my Envoy way back on 4/24 and after 5 weeks of waiting, what finally came in was nowhere near what I ordered so the salesman ended up having to locate my truck anyway. Seems that someone in GM decided I couldn't get the SLT prem package w/ 3:42 rear, sunroof and running boards. It would have been nice if they had at least told the dealer so I could have had one 4 weeks ago! Took delivery on 6/7 of my Pewter Envoy, fully loaded with everything I requested, dealer went from northeast Jersey to New Castle Delaware, has a build date of 3/02. After reading some 6000 posts of things to look, ask, and double check for I had a 6 page list to go over before taking the keys. I have to thank everyone on the board for you info (my wife thinks I spent entirely too much time on researching this truck) it helped tremendously. My salesman Jason Fitzsimmons was great, answered all questions, and even helped out with a few things I didn't know. I ended up getting the Denali package grill, one year Smart Care, hand painted pin stripes, and the GM clearguard paint protection for free probably for the wait but it was worth it.
    As for the truck, YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT!!! This truck moves, even though I can't go over 55, the power from start w/o pressing it is amazing. It's quiet (no baffle or moulding noises), it's comfortable (I'm 5'8 so the seats and legroom are more than ample), and my neighbors give nothing but compliments. By the way, my roof rack was already corrected.
    I've still got a few new posts to read, but it's definately going to take more time to get to them now.
  • Options
    mlauricellamlauricella Member Posts: 24
    forgive my ignorance thorljb, but there is a Denali grill for the Envoys?
  • Options
    Absolutely on the "front" CV Joints...Even my '89 Blazer had them which I replaced.....
  • Options
    thorljbthorljb Member Posts: 3
    yes, it's actually part of a Denali package. It includes the grill, they remove the Envoy letters from the sides and add the Denali lettering above the strip, they also embroider the name Envoy on the inside door panels.
  • Options
    mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Yeah, my mistake. I wasn't thinking in terms of 4wd - duh!!
  • Options
    storm34storm34 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a Pet Barrier for a 2002 Envoy?
  • Options
    maj01maj01 Member Posts: 7
    Have any of you installed an electric brake controller for trailering. I have a 21' travel trailer that I will be towing with my Envoy and am in the process of trying to hookup the brake controller. The manual says there is wiring under the instrument panel for the controller. My dealer has yet to set one up so they have no idea (surprise surprise!) So, my question is, can anyone tell me where the wiring is, and is it a coupler, or just straight wires. I believe everything else is wired, as far as to the 7 pin connector. Any advice you can offer is great!
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Do a search here for it - It runs about $60 http://www.weathertech.com/

I don't personally use it, but I have other weathertech accessories and I believe Macneil to be one of the best quality aftermarket accessory providers!

• Options
    mcafee1mcafee1 Member Posts: 6
    The wires for the brake controller are located under the dash on the left side of the driver. It is necessary to drop the plastic panel. There are 4 wires with a tag , part of the large wire harness. These are the brake wires, just splice your controller wires to the ends as marked. On my TB the battery line to the 7 pin connector was not connected, at the right front of the under hood fuse box was a heavy red wire and terminal taped to the harness. This terminal need to be connected to the terminal on the corner of the fuse box.

I pull a 21 ft travel trailer also had no problem on a 5000 mi trip.
  • Options
    Anyone having a problem with the boot wrap (around the floor shift)? Seems like mine is pulling out of the base edge.

Another new little item is after heavy rains I get drops out of my overhead eyeglass holder, (only when I open it). I checked my sunroof, but everything looks dry. Can it be the rain sensor which I heard is located on the top part of the windshield?
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    It isn't the rain sensor. It's most likely a slight leak in the sunroof seal.

Make sure you close it completely. When closing it from the open/back position, it should come all the way forward then go up a little. It's very easy to get it wrong. One time I found myself feeling drops of rain coming through when I had the sunroof closed and the moonroof open.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    That boot around the shift lever snaps in and out. I lifted the back end of mine out once to clean around it, and it snapped right back in. The silver plastic "bracket" or "moulding" around it doesn't move however. I'm wondering if yours is just not seated well--i.e., not snapped back in. Or do you mean it is actually fraying or tearing loose? Otherwise, just try to mash down on the edges of it and see if it snaps into place. If I remember correctly, the place where the little inserts were about 2/3 of the way back. I suspect there is another pair up toward the front. Good luck!
  • Options
    m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    Anyone have the same thing happen? Sometimes when I start up my TB after sitting for a couple days, it is very loud and doesnt settle down until its driven for about a minute or two. I figured it was something to do with the idle and let it idle down, but its still loud. The only way to describe the noise is like a loud sucking sound. Its kinda annoying and I was wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen. Just a side note. The TB was bought as a demo with 7K on it. After having the TB for 3 weeks the 3rd piston cover case(?) or whatever it was cracked and blew a piston. I had to have the engine replaced. I didnt pay for it of course, but just wondering if anyone may feel its tied into that. Wondering if the engine would have problems adapting to the truck.

Thanks
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    THAT SOUNDS LIKE THEY DIDN'T GET THE AIR INTAKE SYTEM REINSTALLED PROPERLY, HAVE THE DEALER RECHECK THAT AREA.
  • Options
    maj01maj01 Member Posts: 7
    mcafee1, thanks for the info. How long did it take you to install the controller? Do you use a wieght distribution system when towing your trailer?
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Our 02 is still pretty much flawless. Seem to have a slight rattle in the driver side door which I will have looked at next oil change. We have decided to take the Bravada on a trip to North Carolina in a few weeks so I am looking forward to seeing how it runs for a long hot weather trip.

Anyone seen any pricing on the new Buick Rainier? Have not seen much on this truck so far aside from a couple of magazine pics.
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Ok, I've been away from the forum for awhile. My 2002 Bravada, purchased 5/9/01, is in the shop for the eighth time to try to fix the following problems that have, for the most part occurred since a few months after purchase:

Mirror memory/dimming problems: Dealer tells me there is NO part number to order at the present as they are going through a redesign because of the problems. I have to call back in a month or so!

Seal around rear hatch: The seal is split is several areas. The new seals are being redesigned and won't be available until August!

Transmission takes a while (30 seconds or so) to downshift after coming to a stop when cold. It also takes a second or so to "engage" from a complete stop. So far, dealer says cannot duplicate.

IRV Mirror makes a load squeal when cold. They tried replacing the stereo (?) but that didn't work. Now they can't duplicate the problem.

Front windshield moulding came loose - Fixed.

Engine knocks loudly. They say it's normal.

The right steering wheel radio control paint started chipping off. Dealer has ordered the part.

And get this - they won't even provide me with transportation!!!! They said they would drop me off somewhere within 5 miles except they are the closes Olds dealer to me and they are 12 miles away!!!!

I've been a loyal GM driver for years. I HATE this vehicle and have it two more years. I wish it would blow up. On the other hand, I love this vehicle. Everyone loves how it looks and the interior.

CURSES to all of GM!!!!
  • Options
    Sounds like a real love/hate relationship. Maybe things will start to settle down now that it's broken in some. Thanks for checking back in with the update.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    That's just how we felt about our 2000 Chrysler 300M. Loved how it looked, but the problems never stopped and the dealer was horrible. Basically, a not so good car and a bunch of morons working on it.

Still owed 4 years on the loan, but were so fed up by this past March, out it went. Took a week, found what we wanted got a great price, and haven't looked back since. Now we get to cruise around in a perfectly flawless (knock on wood) 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z66.

Didn't you have the Bravada with an air suspension that failed and then totalled the rest of the rear end? Kind of nice to have two identical POS new cars, one after the other, isn't it! It seems as though leasing it was a good and bad move. Good, for you don't own it and can just turn it in at the end of the lease. But bad, because you most likely have to keep it until the end unless it becomes a true lemon.

We were almost going to buy a new Envoy last winter, but I am really glad we didn't. I haven't met one triplet owner yet who hasn't had problems, some minor and some horrendous.

Good luck with the Bravda!
  • Options
    jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    I feel bad for you, but find another dealer. I know you said they are the closest Olds dealer, but are you in a metroploitan area where there are other dealers? Shop around, because the service department is all part of the dealer's money making area.

The mirrors do have a fix and it has been around for a while now. Check out Tim Lauro's site (timlauro.com), he has TSB's there that address the mirror actuators. There may be other useful information there as well.

Also, if there are not any other Olds dealers near you, or any that provide better service than the one you are currently going to, try going to a GMC or Chevy dealer. You will eventually have to do this anyway with Olds being phased out. They can perform the same service as the Olds dealer, it may just take some time to get the parts since they may not have them in stock.

Worse case, call GM customer support and see if going over their heads makes a difference. Be the squeaky wheel.

I hope this helps.

JAW
  • Options
    rcbaker1rcbaker1 Member Posts: 6
    I looked down at the gauges while driving along today and found all the gauges reading zero,including the speed and tach. Everything else seemed normal. When I stopped, I waited a minute and restarted; still no gauges. Tried again after an hour or so and the gauges are back. Does anyone know what causes this? My Envoy has 5500 miles on it.

Thanks...
  • Options
    adjguyadjguy Member Posts: 10
    I am ordering a new 2003 4x4 SLT Envoy and cant decide what rear end to get(3.73, or 4.10). We do A LOT of highway traveling, but do plan on buying a boat in about a year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I also noticed on the GMC order form, that the 2003 Envoy came with a 4 speed transmission with overdrive. Thats not what is in the 2002, right?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

ADJGUY
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    If the boat trailer is under 3500#, I tow very easily with the 3.42 diff, which is a hiway cruiser ratio. All the TB's have 4 sp o/d trans.incl 2003.
  • Options
    richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    rcbaker1, welcome to the club. I have also had it happen to me once in my trailblazer built 03/02.