Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Anybody ever get a lease like this? Chrysler Pacifica $199/mo. $3k down plus taxes and fees. 27 months and 5000 mile per year. Always thought a real low mile lease might make sense but could never find one. Offer came from local dealer.
    I think a low mileage lease probably makes the least sense. Let's say, just roughly, you pay $300/mo for a 7500-mile lease vs the leasee who pays $400/mo for 15k. Your per mile cost is WAY higher. If I drove so little, I'd buy higher mileage used car. You get a deal because it has excessive miles, drive it for 2-3 yrs and now it has average miles because you drove so little, thereby minimizing the depreciation.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I see 5000 mile leases for Maserati all the time, I guess FCA is moving it to the normal brands.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Q, yes, us low mile drivers are good candidates for a 2 YO, 40k Miles unit. Soon to be 6 years, 60k-70k.

But if leasing, if you don’t go over, low mile is great so you don’t pay for miles you don’t use.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    houdini1 said:

Thx GG, what brand is it? Sorry if I missed that in earlier post.

Tesla, maybe? B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    fintail said:

I see 5000 mile leases for Maserati all the time, I guess FCA is moving it to the normal brands.

I just don't see how paying .75 cents a mile on this lease makes much sense (if you keep within mileage restriction).
  • Options
    Look rich for cheap.

I just don't see how paying .75 cents a mile on this lease makes much sense (if you keep within mileage restriction).

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,334
    Lots of brands offer 5000 mile per year leases - Audi (R8), LR and Jaguar (anything in their inventory) are two that come to mind.

Some brands don't even offer 10K lease allowances - Honda and Nissan, specifically.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Only throws the snow 6-7 feet? That would never work for me.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I think the standard MB lease is 10K, but I have seen 7500 offered for marginally less.
  • Options
    fintail said:

I think the standard MB lease is 10K, but I have seen 7500 offered for marginally less.

15K is the standard residual - add 2% for 12K, 3% for 10K and 4% for 7500 miles

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

It just has to go onto the neighbor's property :p
  • Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    In central Ky we got about 6 inches of really dry snow today. Since downsizing to a smaller townhouse we have a short walk way and small driveway also. I have not had a snow thrower for years and today I got out the 40 volt leaf blower and it worked really well on the dry snow. Would not work on wet heavy snow.
  • Options
    one of the Acura dealers I shop down this way has all their teaser lease offers at 7,500 miles. Actually works for me (or has, so far). The bigger risk of course is shortly into the lease, your usage changes and you shoot way over miles.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited January 2018
    Mr_Shiftright,
    6 -7 feet is not enough to get it to the neighbor's yard.
    My neighbors and I try to do some extra for each other, while we are out there anyway.

My last house, the neighbor and I didn't get along for various reasons.
    I had over 200 feet of sidewalk and I would blow the snow away from the road.
    He used to blow the snow from the road along the curb onto my sidewalk, usually after I had already cleaned it.
    That was so when the plow came by it wouldn't put as much snow in his driveway.
    A few times, I just cleaned the sidewalk again, but then I had the idea, skip the last 20 feet or so.
    He blew the snow on my sidewalk just like before, but I would come out after that and blow it all into the road.
    He ended up with a lot more snow in his driveway when the plow came by, so he stopped that practice. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    Michaell said:

Anybody ever get a lease like this?

Chrysler Pacifica $199/mo. $3k down plus taxes and fees. 27 months and 5000 mile per year. Always thought a real low mile lease might make sense but could never find one.

Offer came from local dealer.

That's really $299/mo when you amortize the $3K down

Probably a local bank
    You're sharp. Yes, Ally bank.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Chrysler Pacifica $199/mo. $3k down plus taxes and fees. 27 months and 5000 mile per year. Always thought a real low mile lease might make sense but could never find one.

I think a low mileage lease probably makes the least sense. Let's say, just roughly, you pay $300/mo for a 7500-mile lease vs the leasee who pays $400/mo for 15k. Your per mile cost is WAY higher. If I drove so little, I'd buy higher mileage used car. You get a deal because it has excessive miles, drive it for 2-3 yrs and now it has average miles because you drove so little, thereby minimizing the depreciation.

I agree. That $3k down plus fees being spread over few miles makes it a bad deal. Even with a zero down deal the fees would be magnified and I bet this lease comes with all sorts of front end and back end fees.

With the Pacifica lease they would be getting back a little over two year old car with 11250 miles. A great deal for them.

Another reason not to lease.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguy said:
    one of the Acura dealers I shop down this way has all their teaser lease offers at 7,500 miles. Actually works for me (or has, so far). The bigger risk of course is shortly into the lease, your usage changes and you shoot way over miles.
    Like a guy I know who leased an F150, got laid off 7 mos later, and now has to take any job thrown his way, even if it means commuting 100 miles a day.  ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited January 2018
    stickguy said:

Q, yes, us low mile drivers are good candidates for a 2 YO, 40k Miles unit. Soon to be 6 years, 60k-70k.

But if leasing, if you don’t go over, low mile is great so you don’t pay for miles you don’t use.

Or do what I do and buy a low mile fully depreciated hooptie and park it on the side of the road when it breaks.

• Options
    edited January 2018

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    stickguy said:

If you are under your mileage Acura allows you to carry over to the next Acura or Honda you lease, up to 15K. If my driving habits stay true to form I'll end up carrying over about 8K-9K. Enables me to drop the mileage on the next lease down to 7,500 benefiting from the highest RV while still having a little over 30K to play with. With the possibility of a TLX-S in showrooms by the time my lease ends that opens up some interesting decisions.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

fintail said:

It might make sense if for example......you kept a car in Florida and only used it for 5 or 6 months. You would have a new car every 2 1/2 years for about $3600 a year.........not much different than owning. At the end of the lease hand it back or get a new one.....don't have to worry about selling it.

I think there is a situation which can work for somebody sometimes.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    What about leasing a minimum mileage lease, then driving it 100,000 miles in 3 years (really racking them up) and having the car disappear into a lake so you don't get charged for the excess mileage right before turn-in?

Has this been tried before? :open_mouth:

Disclaimer: Not legal advice.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Michaell said:

fintail said:

15K is the standard residual - add 2% for 12K, 3% for 10K and 4% for 7500 miles
    Like we found out with the Passat.....low mileage will get you more money as a trade-in, but not a lot more.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Pen, I was not aware of that feature on Honda financial leases. If Hyundai had that, I might have done the same on a replacement lease, since I had just about 15K miles to spare. Oh well.

Q, if it really becomes an issue, swapalease works both ways!

• Options
    Off topic but I'll ask.

I was at a doctor's office today and they asked me to sign a HIPA statement electronicly. Only there was no screen or paper, just the little signature pad. I had never seen this before.when I sign for a purchase in a store there's always a register screen so you know what you're signing for. I told them I was uncomfortable since for all I knew I was signing a car loan. They gave me the eye roll.

Is this a common way to do business now?

• Options
    yup.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Sure. They can show you a paper copy. I really doubt your doctors are scamming you. If you think that’s even a remote possibility you should find a new doc.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Pen, I was not aware of that feature on Honda financial leases. If Hyundai had that, I might have done the same on a replacement lease, since I had just about 15K miles to spare. Oh well.

Q, if it really becomes an issue, swapalease works both ways!

Not Honda, only Acura, allows the mileage roll over.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    stickguy said:
    Pen, I was not aware of that feature on Honda financial leases. If Hyundai had that, I might have done the same on a replacement lease, since I had just about 15K miles to spare. Oh well. Q, if it really becomes an issue, swapalease works both ways!
    Eh, I'd just buy yet another car and share the miles with that. I paid down the Ford lease so drastically that I'm driving it as long as they'll let me.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    driver100 said:
    About car rentals: Does anyone do that deal where you pay for the gas up front so you don't have to try and find a gas station and then fill the car up with gas before you turn it in. Has anyone ever come out ahead in that scam? I guess it works well if you are on a company expense plan and you are in a rush to get to the airport. I mean. how do you bring the car back on an empty tank to actually come out ahead?
    many years (decades?) ago I was offered this and the price was somewhat reasonable, as in if I returned the car in almost empty i would come iut ahead. So I took it and pulled a Kramer and brought that baby back on fumes.

On a related note the first time I ever rented a car was in Anchorage. There was a gas station directly across the street from the rental agency so I filled it up there and drove across the street to return the car. The guy who took the car drove it back to that very same gas station to fill it up. As I stood there watching I could actually hear the pump shifting off every time he tried to put gas in it. Then they actually charged me for the gas they were able to pump, IIRC it was less than 20 cents. 

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    andres3 said:
    andres3 said:
    BMW NA was kind enough to provide us with an entertaining loaner: The big sled repeals the laws of physics- it weighs 5300 pounds yet it runs from 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds, takes only 153 feet to stop from 70 mph, and pulls 0.98 g. I floored it to merge onto an interstate, looked down and was already doing 100 mph. Way too much fun...
    you can bed the laws of physics, but you can't stop the wear and tear driving 5,300 pounds fast will create on the tires and brake pads. Seems like a good candidate for seeing if you can boil your brake fluid or catch your brakes on fire.
    I would think that the engineers would be aware of the forces that the braking system would have to handle and design a system that can handle it. 
    Yes, but they are designing for the usual buyer of such a beast. The trophy wife or soccer mom. I suppose some men that have kids will settle for a fast SUV.
    They are building a performance vehicle so I would think they would put in a braking system that's performance orientated. wouldn't you? If they were designing a car for a soccer mom would they put such a powerful engine in it?

• Options
    andres3 said:
    I guess the SD Chargers thought taxing "other people" would be a way to get their Stadium funded. Voters rejected them (perhaps due to their lousy performance year after year).
    South Dakota Chargers, I like the sound of that. 

• Options
    Anybody ever get a lease like this? Chrysler Pacifica $199/mo. $3k down plus taxes and fees. 27 months and 5000 mile per year. Always thought a real low mile lease might make sense but could never find one. Offer came from local dealer.
    Might be interested if you bump up the miles slightly and have it zero down. The last few years I have put less than 10K a year on my car and expect to do a lot less this and future years since I have another form of transportation so a low mileage lease could be attractive. 

• Options
    Michaell said:
    That's really $299/mo when you amortize the $3K down Probably a local bank
    That's really $310.

• Options
    dino001 said:
    I know one of my miles cards (maybe United) I got not long ago had big bold language in the stuff that came with it telling you to decline CDW since the card covered it. Ireland, that was a different story. though after getting home, and researching more, I think they would have covered it too. Over there, it is a miracle to not get damage (apparently they have a big box at the returns lot for broken mirrors), though I managed to avoid any. So they really put the scare tactics on. I caved, and IIRC all that cost more than the rental itself. Oh well.
    There are some countries excluded, usually war zones (Israel), "rouge" type countries (Iran, N. Korea), or those with weird laws (New Zealand). It's always good to call first to make sure.
    Nobody rents cars in N. Korean and very few people drove there. 

• Options
    Yes, they showed me the paper physically on a clipboard and after gave me a hard copy with my signature printed on it but that still creeped me out. Lots of potential for mischief. A nurse at a major local medical center was arrested recently for multiple identity thefts. I might trust the doc but who knows who's working in the office.

Life is tough for dinosaurs.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited January 2018

dino001 said:

stickguy said:

I know one of my miles cards (maybe United) I got not long ago had big bold language in the stuff that came with it telling you to decline CDW since the card covered it.

Ireland, that was a different story. though after getting home, and researching more, I think they would have covered it too. Over there, it is a miracle to not get damage (apparently they have a big box at the returns lot for broken mirrors), though I managed to avoid any. So they really put the scare tactics on. I caved, and IIRC all that cost more than the rental itself. Oh well.

There are some countries excluded, usually war zones (Israel), "rouge" type countries (Iran, N. Korea), or those with weird laws (New Zealand). It's always good to call first to make sure.

Nobody rents cars in N. Korean and very few people drove there. 

Yes, sir, Captain Obvious! :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

Michaell said:

That's really $299/mo when you amortize the $3K down

Probably a local bank

That's really $310.

You know, these $199/mo but bring a truck load of cash deals should be considered false advertising.

• Options
    I’ve seen worse. Stuff like a base Elantra for $79/mo, with $3995. On a 19k sticker, cap cost around 15k.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    A dealer in my area was once offering $99/month financing (not lease) on a number of midrange new or late model cars. The fine print stated 25K down. Those ads didn't last long, I suspect someone had a talking to.

You know, these $199/mo but bring a truck load of cash deals should be considered false advertising.

• Options
    Seeing how many sell to the Stepfordian set around here, or the money laundering devilspawn set, they might not need appropriate brakes. It only needs to be able to stop with its front wheels in an occupied green signaled crosswalk.

They are building a performance vehicle so I would think they would put in a braking system that's performance orientated. wouldn't you? If they were designing a car for a soccer mom would they put such a powerful engine in it?

• Options
    edited January 2018

I don't know. It quite clearly states in the print (if you have magnifying glass of course). Plus, anybody with third grade education would know it's impossible "have" a 20K car for 150 bucks per month with paying nothing else. I don't think we should be demand advertising to be tailored to functional illiterates.

I'm much more bothered by definitive statements placed in ads, such as YOU PAY $15900 with fine print stating there $3500 cash down or trade equity required. That IS false advertising in my book, as those 3.5 grand is also paid by the customer (either directly by cash or in barter), not Santa Claus. Not to mention that there are those wonderful dealer fees on top and we didn't even start TTR.

I'm also quite bothered by manufacturers advertising their cars with statements like "Starting at $21000", where this number doesn't include the manufacturer's destination charge, which cannot be avoided in any shape or form, it only varies by state (e.g. Alaska or Hawaii may have a larger number than the 48). In other words, there is no possible way to get the MSRP to that number, even if the vehicle is a proverbial stripper. These guys are so shameless that even their website configurators show sometimes that reduced number at the top in big letters and only add the destination charge somewhere at the final tally. That is a blatant false advertising and I can't believe they are allowed to do that. What shocks me even more, it's done not just "low end" brands, but essentially all German lux brands do that (BMW, Audi, MB). You'd think that when selling $40K+, or $80K+ product, you really don't need to make your price "look" lower by 950 bucks. It just doesn't make any sense to me on a common sense level. When the dealer advertises $150/month plus $3000 down and those numbers don't include manufacturer's destination, that also is false advertising, as again - this is a charge that can't be avoided and it's part of the price. One could say similar thing about dealer fees or TTR, but most people are at least aware of those things not being included in "price". The destination is a slight of hand.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    but if you drive 7500 miles a year or less your cost per mile driven is way less with a low mileage lease. 

• Options
    edited January 2018

There was a gas station directly across the street from the rental agency so I filled it up there and drove across the street to return the car. The guy who took the car drove it back to that very same gas station to fill it up. As I stood there watching I could actually hear the pump shifting off every time he tried to put gas in it. Then they actually charged me for the gas they were able to pump, IIRC it was less than 20 cents. 

Now, that's a story. They really tried harder to get your money :laughing:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Question for the gear heads.

Does anyone know anything about Nitto NT555 G2 tires. How do they compare to the Pilot Sport series for handling?

I'm seeing them included in tire/wheel packages on line and wondering if they are something special or just a house brand they're trying to get rid of.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

houdini1 said:

Thx GG, what brand is it? Sorry if I missed that in earlier post.

Tesla, maybe? B)
    It’s called an “E-Go”. Got it at Home Depot a couple of years ago. This is the first year I’ve been able to use it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

It has an “accelerator” (for lack of a better term). You crank it up and it will throw snow much further. I keep it low as to not throw snow in the street or onto any other neighbor areas.
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

Acura fan WEB Sites were all over that RDX video. What really has their hearts a-flutter is the return of both A Spec and S-Type models, presumably for the TLX. And, their hope/belief that the new V6 Turbo will be available in one, or both.

I like that RDX. Stick, as you say, wondering what pricing will look like. That’s a pretty big jump in technology from where the current RDX resides. That all has to cost something.

Also, looks like the RDX “stole” the sport seats from the TLX A-Spec. They are indeed, excellent.

Beat me to it...was going to ask your reaction to Acura's statements. Having a Type S variant with a TT V6 would have my attention My car will just be coming off lease around the time everyone thinks the next gen TLX will be on the market. From my experience so far I wouldn't have any objections to staying in an Acura, especially if it's a new model.
    The video stipulated that a “Type-S” would be here “in the next few years”. Not sure if that means 2019? Or, even further out. One would assume (and we all know what that means) that the TT V6 would be the engine chosen for a Type-S TLX.

Some were speculating that the hybrid drivetrain from the RLX would make it to the TLX as a Type-S. I suspect that drivetrain is expensive to produce and would push the price of the TLX Type-S way to high. A TT V6 makes more sense, and follows what the other lux brands are putting out there.

A-Spec seems to be popular, so they’re bringing it back across the board. But, it’s strictly a handling, tire/wheel and cosmetic package. But, if I heard the presentation correctly, it would also be available with the 4 cyl version. I’m guessing but I’d make a bet Honda’s 2.0T would make it into the TLX base version sometime soon.

I’d hold out for a Type-S if it’s coming in the next year or two. That’s about the end of my attention span, though.

Fact is, there’s nothing out there right now that would make me wander on to a car lot. Very pleased with my TLX. It does everything well, and does it always, with no muss or fuss. Would I want it to be quicker? Sure! But, I’ve never felt the drivetrain has let me down. Ride/handling (in the SH AWD A Spec) is spot on. The rest is gravy....great seats, great tech, even better stereo....not much to complain about for a less than $45K car.

Make it a Type-S with the TT V6, the new interior, around $48K? I’d be all over it.
  • Options
    I read some good reports on tests of the better rechargeable ones. I think in CR. If I ever got a unit, would likely go that way. Unless I lost my mind and moved way north into heavy snow territory.