Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2018
    @stickguy If you could get a good lease deal on a BMW 320i would you consider that?

PS I told a slightly humorous version of your story to my wife, including "the look," sunk costs, and your wife saying that she already likes her 2013 RDX a lot. My wife was amused, and said, "I like this woman!" Unfortunately, my wife all-too-clearly saw some slight parallels between the situations, and said, "and I like my 2013 too!" My wife's weak spot though is the safety angle. If I can convince her that a 2018 Accord is significantly safer than the 2013, and if we can get a good deal in a few months when they are selling off the last of this model year, maybe there's a chance....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    edited June 2018
    Yes, I would take a 3 series for the right lease deal. I know the wife would not complain about that.

my guess is that one you posted has some fine print (incentives most people don't qualify for?) and is on a truly base model car with no options (that we normally never see anyway on the lot). But I would be curious to see the terms of that offer, and what car it is on!

And a 320 is enough power for me (though for some reason I thought they stopped making that model?)

I still think that a 3 series, or S60, is just the right size car. Big enough, without being too big. As a bonus, my wife thinks they are bigger than they really are (I would not bother to explain that the new Jetta which she somehow still thinks is "too small" is actually bigger than the 3 or 60).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Sandy, if you are curious enough about the Hyundai, you can sit in an Elantra GT with the extra (premium?) package to try out the seats, and drive a 4 door sport to try out the drivetrain.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    benjaminh said:
    ....I would prefer a TLX V6 if I got one. Much more entertaining, at the expense of a few MPGs. Not like I put that many miles on a car! And the S90 is way too big. If I get a Volvo, it would be a 60. Luxury car not really required, as long as it drives nice, and has the right features. and size. An Accord would be fine if I wanted something jumbo. I am a bit sorry I did not check out a Sonata turbo in the redesign.....
    The 2018 Sonata 2.0 turbo limited seems to be about $28.5k with discounts. But that's about same price that you can get a 2018 Accord EXL 2.0 turbo--$28.5k, which is c. 4k off of msrp. The Accord seems like the better choice since they seem to be about the same price. Plus the Accord will have Sensing--lane keeping, full stop cruise, cmb, etc. Does Hyundai have anything like that? The Volvo V60 is about the size of a BMW 3-series. Might be a good choice. Nice looking car. But seems to cost more than a BMW 3-series....? My local BMW dealer seems to have a great lease deal. Must be some catch, but I can't find it?? 2018 BMW 320i xDrive Sedan $0 Down Lease For $299/mo VIEW INVENTORY
    Well, let's see...a base 320xi is $37,895. On that deal you listed, you'll likely have bank fee, security deposit, doc fee, DMV, and tax. Here in NJ, you are talking just about $3k for all that. That brings you to $390, assuming a 36-mo term. That is just above the 1% rule, and that is before considering discounts that may not apply to you in the posted deal. So, while not a bad deal, I would not consider it a great deal.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    benjaminh said:

The 2018 Sonata 2.0 turbo limited seems to be about $28.5k with discounts. But that's about same price that you can get a 2018 Accord EXL 2.0 turbo--$28.5k, which is c. 4k off of msrp. The Accord seems like the better choice since they seem to be about the same price. Plus the Accord will have Sensing--lane keeping, full stop cruise, cmb, etc. Does Hyundai have anything like that?

If those numbers are accurate I cannot possibly make any case for the Sonata given what the likely resale value of the Accord will be in a few years. Even if the Sonata were to perform better or have a better set of gizmos and gadgets (which I doubt) I don't see how it can possibly compete if the pricing is similar. Maybe a typical Hyundai crazy-deal lease would be the only way.
    benjaminh said:

My local BMW dealer seems to have a great lease deal. Must be some catch, but I can't find it??

2018 BMW
    320i
    xDrive Sedan
    $0 Down
    Lease For
    $299/mo
    VIEW INVENTORY

Important to remember that BMW now offers a pretty stripped entry-level 3-series. Vinyl seats, rubber steering wheel, not fast, very few gizmos because all of them are packaged as extras. I see these on used lots here and while I can understand the appeal to someone caught up in the urge to ride around in something with the BMW badge on it, they do not look like something I would want. Nothing luxe about those versions at all. They seem almost like "secretary specials" and a recipe for buyer's remorse.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

Yes, I would take a 3 series for the right lease deal. I know the wife would not complain about that.

Wanna bet? :D

All I know is that you better get one that has a power passenger seat...

• Options
    edited June 2018
    ab348 said:

benjaminh said:

The 2018 Sonata 2.0 turbo limited seems to be about $28.5k with discounts. But that's about same price that you can get a 2018 Accord EXL 2.0 turbo--$28.5k, which is c. 4k off of msrp. The Accord seems like the better choice since they seem to be about the same price. Plus the Accord will have Sensing--lane keeping, full stop cruise, cmb, etc. Does Hyundai have anything like that?

If those numbers are accurate I cannot possibly make any case for the Sonata given what the likely resale value of the Accord will be in a few years...
    I'm kinda puzzled by this too. You can get an entry-level Sonata SE for maybe c. 3k less than an Accord LX. And the base Sonata has one key advantage over a base Accord—AndroidAuto/CarPlay is standard on the Sonata, but you have to move up to the Sport on the Accord to get that.

But seemingly at the 2.0 turbo level the price difference between the Sonata and Accord is erased. Can't figure it out. I thought the Sonata was always cheaper than a comparable Accord....? And that's even looking at the Accord 2.0T EXL. The Accord also has a more "entry-level" 2.0 turbo in the Sport, which costs c. $1500 or so less than the EXL 2.0.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Michaell said:
    What are you planning to do with all this extra money?
    Well, it's 14 payments left, and I just contracted a $2200 concrete job, so I guess you could say that I've spent it already.
    That’s not bad for a concrete job. Replacing the walkway in front of my house and building a new one from my deck to the garage is going to run $3,600 or so. 
  • Options
    stickguy said:

...I still think that a 3 series, or S60, is just the right size car. Big enough, without being too big. As a bonus, my wife thinks they are bigger than they really are (I would not bother to explain that the new Jetta which she somehow still thinks is "too small" is actually bigger than the 3 or 60).

There's a Volvo S60 on our block. It looked the same size as a Honda Civic. And in fact it is....

S60 length 182.5

Civic length 182.3

320i 182.5

Elantra 179.9

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I haven't driven one, but my guess is that I'd enjoy a "secretary's special" 320i a lot. Back when I was a kid, one of my teachers when I was in Kindergarten had a newish BMW 2002. It had vinyl seats as I recall, and not too much power—just enough. That was about 1971, and I think the 2002 was maybe a 70 or 69. He was proud of that car. My older sister got a serious cut once, and I remember as he drove her fast to the hospital saying something like "oh dear, you're bleeding on my BMW!" lol. But he got here there on time and fast, and that blood wiped off the seats with no problem as I recall. It was a much simpler car, obviously, for a totally different era. But a new 320i, as long as it had a backup camera, would I'm sure have plenty of power for me. It might not have a lot of luxury or gizmos, but for someone who has driven Accords even an entry-level BMW would be a nice ride.

But no way would I ever get that past my wife. Plus I don't really want to buy premium gas....Or have my neighbors stare at me. There was someone on my block several years ago who had an older BMW 5-series, but with that gone I'm not sure if there's a BMW on the block anymore. We do have some newish Hondas, Subarus, Acuras, Toyotas etc. But BMW and Mercedes don't seem to be making serious inroads in my particular neighborhood.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    corvette said:

Michaell said:

Well, it's 14 payments left, and I just contracted a $2200 concrete job, so I guess you could say that I've spent it already.

That’s not bad for a concrete job. Replacing the walkway in front of my house and building a new one from my deck to the garage is going to run $3,600 or so. 

The path is from the driveway to the back yard - 70' long by 3' wide.

I've never had concrete work done, so I had no idea what to expect for a price quote, but the wife gave her approval, so I'm not complaining.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Michaell said:

corvette said:

Michaell said:

The path is from the driveway to the back yard - 70' long by 3' wide.

I've never had concrete work done, so I had no idea what to expect for a price quote, but the wife gave her approval, so I'm not complaining.

Quality masonry work is expensive. That's not something you want to cheap out on. The cheapo concrete guy will not mix the cement properly. That's how you end up with cracks 2 years later.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    With respect to the 320i, I drove F3x models all the time when I worked at BMW and my non-M Car favorites were a 320i with virtually no options, a 328i M Sport with three pedals, and a 435i M Sport fitted with literally every upgrade from the M Performance parts catalog. I honestly did not expect to like the 320i as much as I did, but I was quite fond of it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

With respect to the 320i, I drove F3x models all the time when I worked at BMW and my non-M Car favorites were a 320i with virtually no options, a 328i M Sport with three pedals, and a 435i M Sport fitted with literally every upgrade from the M Performance parts catalog. I honestly did not expect to like the 320i as much as I did, but I was quite fond of it.

And how many of those 3 pedal 320i ///M Sports with no other options exist?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

With good tires, fine in winter. You still get good ground clearance at least. If FWD is fine in a sedan, why not a wagon? Which is all I use it as, like most people. It will never see off road conditions that actually require AWD. So really just for snow.

I like AWD for all conditions, but particularly inclement weather, even just a light rain.

Consumer Reports, which is my Bible on cars, really liked the Alltrack! They ranked it higher than the Outback, even with the 3.6 6-cylinder, though part of that score takes into account the lower price and better value too.

I like wagons, but I also like sedans and coupes. Wagons have the most utility of those 3 though.

I think the VW Alltrack is a really nice vehicle from what I've seen. With the new VW warranty, and the big discounts available, I think the Alltrack is a great deal. This well-equipped Alltrack for just $23k at my local VW dealer seems like a lot of car for the money....

https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/inventory/new-2018-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-s-awd-station-wagon-3vwh17au4jm761698
  • Options
    well, if I was looking at a Sonata it would have been the 2.0t sport. That MSRP is right about 28.5K, well equipped with all the important options. Before the many discounts of course. And I would have leased it.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    nyccarguy said:

And how many of those 3 pedal 320i ///M Sports with no other options exist?
    The 320i I had was an automatic, but we did order two with the manual and the Track Handling Package. Those were really a hoot.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    0-60 on the 320xi appears to be 7.1 seconds. I'm sure it has other virtues, but I have a hard time stomaching a BMW being on par with most base model family sedans.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    That's as fast or faster than an E46 325i. (and, about the same horsepower). If you have a stick-shift and a car that handles well, you don't need a lot of power to have fun.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Just poking around... Looks like a 2000 325i would do 0-60 around 7.2 seconds, which is around a second faster than a base Accord of the same vintage. They're not that far apart now.
  • Options
    corvette said:

0-60 on the 320xi appears to be 7.1 seconds. I'm sure it has other virtues, but I have a hard time stomaching a BMW being on par with most base model family sedans.

And pretty much everything is optional too. Heated seats, fold-down rear seats, power seats, I think even keyless entry.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    I can tell you that driving a 320 with M package is nothing like driving an Accord, 0-60 times notwithstanding. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Motor Trend says that the 2018 Camry and Accord with their base engines both take 7.6 seconds to go from 0-60....

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/accord/2018/2018-honda-accord-15t-vs-2018-toyota-camry-25-comparison-review/

But C&D says that the 2018 Accord Hybrid will equal a base 320i 0-60 with a time of 7.1:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-accord-hybrid-first-drive-review
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    ab348 said:

corvette said:

And pretty much everything is optional too. Heated seats, fold-down rear seats, power seats, I think even keyless entry.
    Yeah, a BMW 320i without any options really is a "stripper" in the old school sense. Of course, in the real world they never even build any 320is without options, unless someone was crazy enough to order one that way. The least expensive 320i at my local dealer has an msrp of $39,470....

https://www.louisvillebmw.com/new-Jefferson+County-2018-BMW-3+Series-320i+xDrive-WBA8E5G57JNU47719

It's a nice looking car with some good options, but almost 40k for this car seems pretty steep. The overpriced options are really what keeps the money flowing into BMW though.

Of course almost no one buys these cars either. I assume this very car is the one that can be leased for c. $300 a month plus TTL and whatever.
  • Options
    The base price of a 2018 BMW 320i is $35,895 with destination. But that imaginary base car has almost nothing that we think of as normal in any car over c. $30k or so these days. For instance, as ab348 says a 320i with no options has manual seats, no xm, no moonroof, no auto dimming mirror, no keyless entry, no heated seats, etc. The list of what it doesn't have for $36k seems to go on and on. I assume a base 320i at least has a back-up camera standard now, but they didn't just a few years ago and so I'm not even sure about that.
  • Options
    only reason BMW added the BU camera is that it was required by law. Not sure why they resisted so long. A wonderful feature that can't possibly bother anyone, and is very useful quite often.

• Options
    Compared to that $39k BMW with relatively few options, how about this full loaded, certified, Cadillac ATS 3.6 with only 9k miles for c.$27k....

https://www.courtesycadillac.net/VehicleDetails/certified-2016-Cadillac-ATS_Sedan-3.6L_V6_RWD_Luxury_Collection-Louisville-KY/3184874983
  • Options
    was out with the wife running errands today. Took her RDX, because the Jetta was in the driveway blocking my car in, and I am too lazy to be moving cars around. So many terrible roads we had to bang along, she commented (totally unsolicited from me) "no more skinny tires"

I honestly think it is my duty to trade my car for a comfortable luxury mobile of some kind. It is only fair, and she deserves it!

Maybe in a few years when we turn 60 I will grow up. Maybe.

actually, I should move us to a nice 55+ community. and trade my car in for something like a Cobra kit car. Just to liven up all the old farts that live there!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    @jpp5862 and I met up for some non-car related stuff ... but we talked about cars, anyway. 

Specifically, what to do when the Jetta lease ends next summer. Options:

1. If the money is there, buy out the Jetta. Just under $11k before tax, but it will likely have under 20,000 miles, and I know the history. 
    2. Another cheap lease. Not sure what the budget would be - maybe $250-300/mo. More options open up depending on what I could spend. At least I’d have a reason to test drive. 
    3. If the Outback gets paid off from my MILs estate proceeds, maybe the lease budget goes up to $400/mo, which really widens the playing field
    4. Again, if the outback gets paid off, I could look at a CPO unit to buy and hold for a number of years. If that were the case, I’d look at some sort of luxury brand – Infiniti, Acura, etc. 

Decisions, decisions. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    benjaminh said:
    Compared to that $39k BMW with relatively few options, how about this full loaded, certified, Cadillac ATS 3.6 with only 9k miles for c.$27k.... https://www.courtesycadillac.net/VehicleDetails/certified-2016-Cadillac-ATS_Sedan-3.6L_V6_RWD_Luxury_Collection-Louisville-KY/3184874983
    Other than color combo, that easily gets my vote. Hell, I'd vote for that over any new sedan that's more than $30k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    silver over black. Blah.

• Options
    Michaell said:

@jpp5862 and I met up for some non-car related stuff ... but we talked about cars, anyway. 

Specifically, what to do when the Jetta lease ends next summer. Options:

1. If the money is there, buy out the Jetta. Just under $11k before tax, but it will likely have under 20,000 miles, and I know the history. 
    2. Another cheap lease. Not sure what the budget would be - maybe $250-300/mo. More options open up depending on what I could spend. At least I’d have a reason to test drive. 
    3. If the Outback gets paid off from my MILs estate proceeds, maybe the lease budget goes up to $400/mo, which really widens the playing field
    4. Again, if the outback gets paid off, I could look at a CPO unit to buy and hold for a number of years. If that were the case, I’d look at some sort of luxury brand – Infiniti, Acura, etc. 

Decisions, decisions. 

I should have leased again probably. Oh well. Even the wife thinks so, figuring it would make me stick with something for 3 years, then I get to shop again. But, I can get to the same place by flipping my car and leasing now. Or, will just keep it. At the miles I put on, could probably keep it until 10 years, run to the end of the warranty, and still only have 60K miles on it!

I still like the idea of trading out and getting an S60. Whether I buy it at the end remains to be seen.

If I were you, I would not buy out the Jetta. If you want a used car, get something nicer!

for us, I think it becomes likely that I hold the current cars, try to finally make the house change, then figure out the car situation. If I keep mine for the long term, will definitely flip the RDX in a couple years.

• Options
    stickguy said:

....If I were you, I would not buy out the Jetta. If you want a used car, get something nicer!....

Agree.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Volvo's current S60 lease offer....
    Lease:
    S60 T5 Inscription*
    $309 /36 Mo. $3,489 cash due at signing

https://www.volvocars.com/us/shopping-tools/purchase/offers/s60

Seems like you could do a bit better through negotiating with a dealer, but compared to that BMW 320i lease of 299 with "no money down" the S60 seems expensive to me.For less money you could also lease a 2018 TLX or RDX. And for $70 more a month someone somewhere out there is going to be the first on the block with the all-new 2019 RDX:

FEATURED SPECIAL LEASE
    Expires 07/05/18
    2019 RDX 10 Speed Automatic Featured Loyalty Conquest Lease
    $379
    Per month for 36 months.
    $2,999 Total due at signing.

SPECIAL APR
    Expires 07/05/18
    2019 RDX Special APR
    1.9% APR for 24-36 months or 2.9% for 37-60 months

• Options
    well, I want the deal from last fall again. About .8% payment. So roughly $320/month on a $40K MSRP. That works for me.

should be interesting in a few months. The redesigned model comes out early in 2019, so the current car will be a dinosaur soon.

• Options
    The interior of this $39k Mercedes C300 4matic is beautiful imho....

http://www.tafelmotors.com/inventory/new-2018-mercedes-benz-c-class-c-300-4matic®-sedan-awd-4matic-4dr-car-55swf4kb6ju242193

My local MB dealership is under new ownership, and they seem to be going out of their way:

"....We are under new ownership and have already earned the Mercedes-Benz USA Best of the Best award for outstanding customer service and operational excellence, an honor only awarded to a handful of Mercedes-Benz dealers each year. We now offer: Home pick-up and delivery shuttle service, free car washes Monday through Saturday, choice of loaner cars on service appointments, free Wi-Fi, gourmet coffees, premium teas, soda pop, and water. Pet friendly. Woof! Visit our dog park. We welcome same-day service appointments, price match guarantee for all competitive sales and service offers.*
  • Options
    At least the C300 does not have a black interior. If that was at my local dealer I can virtually guarantee it would be black over black.

It is unfortunate that even interiors like that one stilI show so much black. It really needs seat backs, B-pillars and more of the door panel done in upholstery color.

• Options
    nice looking car.

• Options
    chrispre3chrispre3 Member Posts: 60
    stickguy said:
    well, if I was looking at a Sonata it would have been the 2.0t sport. That MSRP is right about 28.5K, well equipped with all the important options. Before the many discounts of course. And I would have leased it.
    Not sure if you have seen the new ‘plus’ versions of the sonata yet, and I’m sure the incentives will have to factor in (which haven’t been disclosed yet)- but if we are talking non-plus lease do you lean Sport 2.0 over the Limited 2.0?

I’m thinking with the plus versions, any standard trims will have better incentives next month. I think the only upgrade to Limited 2.0 plus is the panoramic sunroof, with an MSRP that’s lower by about $550. Surely they have to offer a rebate on the base Limited 2.0 to get the price below the plus, right?
  • Options
    I have not looked at them recently, and have not heard of plus version trim levels before now.

• Options
    chrispre3chrispre3 Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2018
    stickguy said:
    I have not looked at them recently, and have not heard of plus version trim levels before now.
    Here is the official press release.

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/2545

and another pointing to poor sales and trying to drum up some interest.
    Including some of the add on packages as part of their base offering for lower level trims at an overall discount.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/31/2018-hyundai-sonata-new-plus-package/
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    benjaminh said:
    The interior of this $39k Mercedes C300 4matic is beautiful imho.... http://www.tafelmotors.com/inventory/new-2018-mercedes-benz-c-class-c-300-4matic®-sedan-awd-4matic-4dr-car-55swf4kb6ju242193 My local MB dealership is under new ownership, and they seem to be going out of their way: "....We are under new ownership and have already earned the Mercedes-Benz USA Best of the Best award for outstanding customer service and operational excellence, an honor only awarded to a handful of Mercedes-Benz dealers each year. We now offer: Home pick-up and delivery shuttle service, free car washes Monday through Saturday, choice of loaner cars on service appointments, free Wi-Fi, gourmet coffees, premium teas, soda pop, and water. Pet friendly. Woof! Visit our dog park. We welcome same-day service appointments, price match guarantee for all competitive sales and service offers.*
    That sounds promising. One of the owners of my company upgraded his S-class to a newer CPO model and bought his in Georgia. He said they were around $7,000 cheaper than the local dealer and thought the local dealer had some sort of gentleman’s agreement with the Lexington and Cincinnati dealers to inflate prices. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm not in the market for anything like this, but I kinda like this certified 2015 BMW 535i xDrive with 49k miles for $30k. Returned lease. Seems loaded. 6 cylinder. Might go 0-60 in c. 5 seconds. Compared to a new stripper 328i for c.$37k this is a lot of real BMW for the money. I like the blue. I think this 535i had an original msrp of c. $65k or so. And so yes, it's expensive for a used car, but....

https://www.louisvillebmw.com/used-Jefferson+County-2015-BMW-5+Series-535i+xDrive-WBA5B3C55FD544601

"BMW CERTIFIED, COLD WEATHER PKG, DRIVER ASSISTANCE PKG, PREMIUM PKG, NAVIGATION, REAR VIEW CAMERA, BLUETOOTH, HEATED LEATHER SEATS, MOONROOF, CARFAX 1-OWNER, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access Keyless Entry, Driver Assistance Package, Head-Up Display, Heated Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Instrument Cluster w/Extended Contents, Navigation System, Park Distance Control, Power Tailgate, Premium Package, Rear-View Camera, Retractable Headlight Washers, Satellite Radio. CARFAX One-Owner. Clean CARFAX. Certified. Imperial Blue Metallic 2015 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive AWD 8-Speed Automatic 3.0L I6 DOHC 24V TwinPower Turbo Recent Arrival! "
  • Options
    I love the colors on that one. Pretty. Lots of miles on it though, for that price.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Most remarkable about that C is that save for pano and 4Matic, it is a quite basic car. I am still not won over by the soft "same sausage different lengths" exterior design theme, but the current interior design language is quite nice and elegant for the price point, while not being overdone.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    fintail said:

Most remarkable about that C is that save for pano and 4Matic, it is a quite basic car. I am still not won over by the soft "same sausage different lengths" exterior design theme, but the current interior design language is quite nice and elegant for the price point, while not being overdone.

Even a "basic" C-class looks waaaaay more luxe than a basic 3-series—or maybe even a 5-series imho.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Feeling more like me today, target date to return to work is Friday. Have my note from my new doctor and we'll see how I feel. Will try to work all day but if I get tired at 6 hours, could go then. Just want to play it by ear and see how it goes.
    Will be nice to get out of the house as one can go a bit stir crazy to be honest. And one can watch just so much television to be honest. Time to get back in the world of the living for me.
    Hyundai has been relentless with their emails to me. Will go in this week but just not ready to buy quite yet. They keep pushing these $40 gift cards but we'll see how I feel on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    I think the E does the same. MB is on-point with interiors lately.
    benjaminh said:

Even a "basic" C-class looks waaaaay more luxe than a basic 3-series—or maybe even a 5-series imho.

• Options
    Not quite realizing I needed another cup of coffee to fully wake up today, for a minute I thought that I'd come up with a slightly better financial rationalization for replacing my wife's 2013 Accord EXL-navi with a 2018 Accord EX Hybrid. Then, unfortunately, I realized my thinking was flawed. What I first came up with was that if we bought a new 2018 Accord Hybrid in a few months—rather than, say, 2 years from now—the following costs would be saved: c.$500 a year on gas= $1000, then c $1000 saved by avoiding buying 4 new tires for my wife's 2013 (which will probably be needed in about a year), then c. $800 (??) saved for avoiding buying the new brake pads front and rear that the 2013 will probably need, and finally the at least c.$3000 that the 2013 will depreciate over the next two years. All that adds up to c. $5800 that we might save by buying a 2018 Accord Hybrid this year, which is almost equal to the payments for two years for the new car (assuming I can get a great deal, and assuming Honda has great financing). But, of course, the 2018 Accord will depreciate much more than the c. $3000 our 2013 Accord is going to depreciate, and so.... As I said, another cup of coffee was needed.