Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Body shop was less then helpful with the door issue. Explained the issue numerous times but the guy was just not paying attention. Of course, everything worked perfect when he checked the door. Said he thinks it's electrical and mentioned bringing the dealer into play. Not something I'm really comfortable at this juncture. Asked when I could come back as workers were at lunch but got a confused look. By now, he was on his cell so basically nothing is resolved. Told him, "basically I'm screwed here" and he just walked away!
    Figured best not to make a fuss right now as they are a good shop and might need them in the future. But will write a note to them that I was disappointed at how they've dropped the ball here, I've still got this issue & no plan has been put into place as what comes next. Doubt it'll do any good and am surprised that such a good shop just has no interest in helping me.
    Waiting till the new 2020 Hyundai Venue comes out as it's really piqued my interest. Seems to be the same size as the Golf, something I really want. It sits up just a little bit so hoping ingress/egress will be a bit easier for me. Hoping it has the 1.6T engine so to get some better grunt off the line plus a few extra mpg's. And I'm happy to own another Hyundai or even Kia product going forward. The extra warranty is nice and I like a warranty. So, will wait till the fall and see it when it debuts and go from there. Plan is to keep on working at this point and have a hunch I'll be going into 2020. Like my co-worker said yesterday, you like this job, it's easy and you get paid to do something you really love. And staying home will get old after a few weeks. Your wife wants to keep working, so just stay the course. Agreed with him and figure, I'll know when the time has come to resign. Best not to put any limits on it now and just go with the flow.
    One good thing, am finally ready to think about replacing the Golf. Think I'm finally ready!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Michael, if you really want a car, get up and show up at home. Your wife will forgive you. Probably.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Sandy, You ever test drive the Elantra GT?

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    henryn said:
    Does the car have a cigarette lighter? If so, those are fused at 20 amps or greater. So get a "cig lighter to USB converter". Then a good USB cable, and you should be set. Something like this:
    I have that. The issue is if I plug the phone into that alone, I can’t stream audio from the phone to the car stereo. I’m comfortable continuing to use the y-cable, just know now not to plug or unplug the power adapter when the car is on and it’s “hot.” 
  • Options
    Yeah, the G delivered a solid 24 MPG running 80-85 MPH, and 25 or 26 at lower speeds on non-limited access highways. 
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    Very true, @kyfdx. I'm actually thrilled with how the car feels now - much much tighter and 95% less steering play than I had.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    stickguy said:

Michael, if you really want a car, get up and show up at home. Your wife will forgive you. Probably.

You don't know my wife. That's kind of how it went down with the Jetta.

I'll be ok driving the Outback. And, I'm sure I'll get a third car at some point down the road. Hoping the new business spins off enough cash...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Apparently the USB Y-adapter power cables don't work with iOS devices--I confirmed that my phone was only getting the 5 watts from the car regardless of whether I had the "enhancer" side plugged in. I'm returning it to Amazon.

I'm actually impressed that the phone was able to more or less maintain a charge with GPS running while only receiving 5 watts.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    So, just for giggles I decided to check into the car my wife thinks I “need.” I emailed a dealer that has received good reviews online as well as from a couple of my friends. I was specific as to year, color, and packages. I got a reply from the internet sales guy telling me he could assist me with finding the car I wanted. Only it was the wrong year and model. So I replied reiterating what I was looking for. Crickets. Called at lunch today and left a message. Ditto.
    At least I tried. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    edited May 2019
    My wife keeps telling me I “need” a BMW... I may have to take her up on that. 

Lease is up Nov 6th. Hitting the pavement week after Labor day to start the process.   Hoping to score a deal on a loaner.  

This one really has my eye. 

https://www.bmwofmtlaurel.com/wholesale-used/BMW/2019-BMW-430i-Mount-Laurel-6a711e630a0d04fe49290f79eb81dfde.htm

For some reason I like the 4 series better than the 3.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    rb, that’s similar to my experience looking for a G37. Met with the Internet manager at a local used car dealership chain and he ghosted me, etc. It’s really a race to the bottom. 

Second free oil change on the G37 is this Saturday. Looking forward to hitting up a distillery afterwards! 
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    edited May 2019

So, just for giggles I decided to check into the car my wife thinks I “need.” I emailed a dealer that has received good reviews online as well as from a couple of my friends. I was specific as to year, color, and packages. I got a reply from the internet sales guy telling me he could assist me with finding the car I wanted. Only it was the wrong year and model. So I replied reiterating what I was looking for. Crickets. Called at lunch today and left a message. Ditto.
    At least I tried. 

Incredible, especially since you were very specific.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

Well.  Viggen is back from Les Schwab. My oh my is this nice. Tight, responsive steering with no more play or chattering over bumps.  Car feels like new.  

Also the guy who did the front suspension bits reconnected the front bumper. Only thing left cosmetically is to deal with the wheels. 

Detailed pics always encouraged!

• Options
    sda said:
    Well.  Viggen is back from Les Schwab. My oh my is this nice. Tight, responsive steering with no more play or chattering over bumps.  Car feels like new.  

Also the guy who did the front suspension bits reconnected the front bumper. Only thing left cosmetically is to deal with the wheels. 
    Detailed pics always encouraged!
    I thought about taking some pictures during surgery but forgot. I’ll get some more when I figure the wheel situation out. 
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

Awesome!  Nothing like having your fun car run great & look great too

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

My wife keeps telling me I “need” a BMW... I may have to take her up on that. 

Lease is up Nov 6th. Hitting the pavement week after Labor day to start the process.   Hoping to score a deal on a loaner.  

This one really has my eye. 

https://www.bmwofmtlaurel.com/wholesale-used/BMW/2019-BMW-430i-Mount-Laurel-6a711e630a0d04fe49290f79eb81dfde.htm

For some reason I like the 4 series better than the 3.  

I like the 4ers as well. When I worked at BMW my NCM had a 435i GC M Sport with a Dinan Exhaust and tune. I drove it several times. Really sweet. Later we had a new 440i GC M Sport with the Track Handling Package and M Performance Power and Sound. It was pretty quick.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I have a 2019 X3 loaner while the X1 is in for the Takata recall and an oil service. I REALLY like the new X3. I'd be seriously tempted by an M40i.

• Options
    TJC, nice color combo. I like the 4 series too.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    Yeah, thats a good color combo and the 4 series is good looking, both in coupe and GC form.

Personally I just don't find the BMW 4 as smooth as the VW/Audi 4

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    I have a similar interior color in the Enclave. We will see... they only way I'm getting one is to score a loaner lease deal similar to what Q was able to do.

I won't throw an Infiniti Q out of my driveway either.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I have a similar interior color in the Enclave. We will see... they only way I'm getting one is to score a loaner lease deal similar to what Q was able to do.

Speaking of driveways, my neighbor across the street just had his ripped up and re-done yesterday. I never in my life thought I would be envious of asphalt. It is PERFECT!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Nice 28 fire  fighter on having the toy all  fixed up and good to go.
  • Options
    TJC   Hope you are  able to get that BMW  you want in nov 
  • Options
     Send man that’s a rarity I’ve never heard Dr. whair Life as of yet, how did your appointment go today? Sorry to hear the body shop wasn’t helpful if it should’ve been. 
  • Options
     Wendy’s is one of my favorites too, think I had it once a few weeks ago got some chili. Don’t get to work as often as I should. There’s one around here more McDonald’s and Burger King though. Although I know you need that stuff often ha ha. Sounds like you’re having an awesome trip so glad to hear it. 
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

Speaking of driveways, my neighbor across the street just had his ripped up and re-done yesterday. I never in my life thought I would be envious of asphalt. It is PERFECT!
    Thats funny. We got a new roof last year and went with a different color of shingle. Never thought when I was 20 I'd be exited about a roof and call it 'pretty'! Different priorities at different stages in life!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    I was all fired up over my new gutters, last year. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I have 1970s aluminum siding on my house that is the older style (8" reveal, woodgrain pattern) thankfully in a muted shade of green. It is very dated-looking and periodically I think maybe I should bite the bullet and update it. But then I look at the options and the cost thereof and it doesn't bother me quite so much.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    My wife wants granite counter tops. For the last ten years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Granite is so last decade. It is Quartz or poured concrete these days. I like the first and don't get the love for the second.

• Options
    I have very thick poured concrete. I like it, but if I were choosing, I’d get quartz. 
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Hate our asphalt driveway and get it resealed every year or so but after a month, looks like crap again. All the neighbors did stamped concrete on theirs and it looks beautiful. Next door, they even re-shaped the whole thing, so showed it to the wife and we discussed it. We're on a cul-de-sac and have a pie shaped lot, so a circular drive in front won't work. That's what I've always wanted because of the flexibility when have multiple vehicles. But since it's not possible, figured we'd just widen it enough so we could fit 3 vehicles across it. At that time, they were asking around $3500 and she couldn't decide. So, we did nothing. Still, I'd like to do something to get more space out front. No matter what we do, the garage will still house both vehicles at night unless we have to store something big temporarily. Have the cash all put aside so when she does give me the thumbs up, I'll take care of it.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    We installed quartz countertops 4 years ago. They look great, and have been maintenance free, no periodic sealers needed. It was a big spend and am glad we did so.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Did someone mention poor paint jobs on Fits?

I've noticed not even VW has paint jobs like this (photo credit to SDAC and ACLA members) I'll pay extra for a good paint job on a new car:

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    back home after a 5 day mini vacation to Charleston. Wonderful city. Highly recommended. Anyway, after 5 days with a rental Fiesta (hey, I got the cheapo special rate, and wanted as small as possible!) getting back in my TLX was incredible. The Fiesta served it's purpose fine, but no way I could live with one permanently. Not just light on features, but functionally, lags behind.

but, city parking, it was amazing for that. And our airBnB came with parking (a huge perk in the city), but the spot was crazy tight (had to thread up a tiny alley and snake through some staircases). Something full sized (heck, possibly the TLX) would have needed 3 spotters to get in and out without taking down a couple of decks.

on the plus side, CarPlay worked flawlessly. easier than in my car.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Looks really nice! Love the color. Only a few miles up the road from me.
  • Options
    Nice wagon. I love it he color. But prefer beige interior with it.

• Options
    I like that generation of the XC.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    edited May 2019
    What I thought was the first hiccup with the Acura turned out to be a recall. The root cause is particulates clogging the pump and my complaint to service was the car felt sluggish off the line and accelerating at highway speed. The stated fix is a software update or replacement of the pump.

@graphicguy yours probably is impacted too, looks like it's 2015-2019 TLX's with the V6.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

Granite is so last decade. It is Quartz or poured concrete these days. I like the first and don't get the love for the second.
    Two words: For. Mica.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Stick guy glad to  here you all had an good. Trip!
  • Options
    Really good news!!!
  • Options
    @mjfloyd1 that is great news about your procedure. The battery replacement is bizarre though. Cutting the carpet?

• Options
    Wonderful news @mjfloyd1

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited May 2019
    ab348 said:
    @mjfloyd1 that is great news about your procedure. The battery replacement is bizarre though. Cutting the carpet?
    It’s under the front seat so it will never be seen. They must put the battery in before the interior goes in and MB makes marks to show where to cut it. It’s just a couple inches on each side then you roll it under and out of the way. Take out one clip then squeeze two pieces and take out a piece of plastic above the battery. Remove 2 hold down bolts and the metal battery hold down. Then loosen + and minus clamps and pull battery out but it’s is like 48 pounds 

Even if you remove the front passenger seat, you still have to cut the carpet so I can’t figure out what the point is.
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    tjc78 said:

I had a Q50 3.0t for a rental in Atlanta this week, I put ~100 miles on it. The power is fine, but it's completely uninspiring. Even with the steering set to sport mode it felt loose. Comfy for sure, but overall nothing remarkable.