Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Acura TSX

Comments

• I don't think you are going to get 230-240 hp out of the n/a 2.4L. My guess is a 10hp increase, at most. Also, it will only by FWD, and no turbo.

If Honda can get 240 bhp out of a 2.2-liter I-4 engine (the F22C used on the S2000 sportster), they could easily get around 230 bhp out of a new 2.4-liter I-4, especially if they use the new Advanced VTEC valvetrain that was announced back in the fall of 2006. And unlike the F22C engine, the use of Advanced VTEC means you don't need to rev the engine to high RPM to get decent power.

I personally think the Acura TSX may become the first US-model Honda to use such an engine.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "unlike the F22C engine, the use of Advanced VTEC means you don't need to rev the engine to high RPM to get decent power."

Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
  • Acura press release with all the info for 2009

l2009 TSX at world.honda.com
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    Not a word about the diesel. Oh well. . .
  • They have already announced the Diesel for 2009..... Ca lander year 2009 which means it will debut for the 2010 TSX in the fall of '09
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the link.

Interesting that the press release states an increase in performance, but it looks like all they did was trade 4 HP for 8 lb ft TQ. I'm guessing that we'll see a lower redline in addition to the other minor tweaks (valve timing, compression, etc).

I'm also guessing that the added size and chassis strengthening is going to add weight.

Lower redline, a higher curb weight, and more luxury means the new TSX is following in the footsteps of all the other lux sport sedan manufacturers. I hope I'm wrong...
  • Yeah, well the new Accord didn't get significantly heavier even with the ACE structure (higher % of high strength steel), and I'm hoping the TSX will follow suit. Having said that, I did place our last Arctic blue 6-speed on hold. I need a car in 1 1/2 months when my S2000 lease is up and the '08 might suit me better.
  • As a current TSX '06 6spd owner, I am disappointed with the specs of the new car - mainly in terms of power. I was looking forward to the new TSX dreaming of SH-AWD and 260 plus horses.

If this is a strategy where they will introduce a type s model with the specs I mentioned above later down the road to maintain interest in the model I am not sure if it will pay off. I imagine a lot of TSX owners were waiting for the new TSX to trade up at least in '09 once the first year model gremlins were worked out. These owners might get tempted with other market place offerings...
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Honda can get 240 bhp out of a 2.2-liter I-4 engine (the F22C used on the S2000 sportster), they could easily get around 230 bhp out of a new 2.4-liter I-4, especially if they use the new Advanced VTEC valvetrain that was announced back in the fall of 2006

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying they won't. Honda does have an issue with not being able to achieve and represent able torque numbers. An S2000 weighs only 2864 lbs, a TSX weighs 3268-3356 lbs depending on what tranny you have. The torque output is not good enough to really get the car going. People that buy a TSX don't want to hang out at 7,000 rpms all day to get power. I have always praised Honda for wonderful hp out of these 4 cyl VTEC engines, but they just produce no torque. In the lux market, you need a more balanced 4 cyl engine, like Audi has in the A4. Yes, I know, it's boosted, but, you can't blame Audi for not taking advantage of the technology available today.
  • garv214garv214 Posts: 162
    I may be a bit late to the party, but I found this article on the TSX

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tsx-future.html
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    The 09 TSX will debut at the NY auto show and will be in late April.

TORRANCE, Calif., U.S.A., February 11, 2008- Designed and engineered to reaffirm its place as a desirable and affordable entry point for entry-premium buyers, the all-new second-generation 2009 TSX is larger, more agile, more performance minded and even "more Acura" than ever before. Carefully crafted to honor the original TSX's vision as a world-class sports sedan, the new TSX has significantly evolved to offer more comfort, convenience, driving performance and safety. It does so with expanded luxury and electronic features, a wider stance for more agile performance, and advanced safety systems.

The 2009 TSX is expected to appeal to current TSX owners, young professionals and other image seekers who will appreciate its innovative styling, technical allure and total performance - while also valuing the outstanding customer treatment that owners have come to enjoy at Acura dealerships. Extremely brand conscious and eclectic in their tastes, buyers will find the TSX as satisfying for driving colleagues to lunch as it is for weekend snowboarding trips or vacation travel.

Powertrain
    An all-aluminum DOHC i-VTEC® in-line 4-cylinder engine heralds a pair of firsts for the TSX model, including dual balance shafts and a direct ignition system. Along with improved performance, it is also cleaner as it now meeting the EPA's aggressive Tier 2-Bin 5 and CARB LEV II Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) standards for the first time in TSX history.

Displacing 2.4-liters and producing 201 hp and 172 lb-ft of torque (with manual transmission), the new in-line 4-cylinder engine produces its useable power across a much wider rpm range, while five percent more torque further strengthens the engine's pulling power at middle rpm levels. This allows the 2009 TSX to be more responsive off the line and out of corners, and stronger in the middle of the rpm range where the engine operates most of the time.

This newfound performance and flexibility is due in part to a higher compression ratio, revised valve timing, and improved intake and exhaust gas flow. Further credit goes to the TSX engine's i-VTEC® "intelligent" valve control system, which provides the power characteristics of a V-6 without sacrificing the light weight or fuel efficiency of an in-line four. Likewise, a new rear-mounted exhaust manifold layout, a close-coupled catalytic converter design, and a Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system substantially reduce emissions levels. Estimated fuel mileage is 21/30/24 mpg* (city/highway/combined, 5 AT) and 20/28/23 mpg* (city/highway/combined, 6 MT).

Two transmissions are available, both as standard equipment - a 6-speed close- ratio manual with new performance-oriented ratios for Second through Sixth gears, and a Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic with a new lock-up torque converter assembly. The manual transmission features a short-throw shifter with a precise, light action that makes it highly rewarding to use, while the Sequential SportShift automatic permits fully automatic operation with intelligent features such as Grade Logic Control and Shift Hold Control, which make driving the TSX on hilly or winding roads more enjoyable. If the driver desires, the automatic transmission can also be operated manually via new steering-wheel mounted F1®-style paddle shifters.

Body and Chassis
    The 2009 TSX body structure includes two firsts for the Acura division, including a closed-channel cross-braced roof structure and inside frame rails. Along with a stronger rear bulkhead, the closed-channel cross-braced roof structure yields a more rigid and vibration-resistant structure. The first use of inside frame rails for any Acura model help tailor the aerodynamics underneath the car for improved fuel economy, lower emissions and reduced noise. In addition, new A-, B- and C-pillar separators improve the TSX's quietness over rough roads and at high speed. Slippery aerodynamics also helps fuel economy as well as high-speed stability - all while lowering emissions.

In addition to its 3.0-inch greater width and 2.6-inch wider track, the 2009 TSX has a 1.3-inch longer wheelbase and 2.4 inches more overall length. These dimensions combine to provide greater interior roominess, more agile handling and improved ride quality. Another first for Acura are the TSX's new dual-mode suspension dampers, which provide superior suspension damping characteristics at both lower and higher damper speeds. Using a unique deflector plate stack, the new dampers adjust compression damping characteristics to suit the vehicle speed, cornering forces and road surface. In creating the second-generation TSX body design, Acura designers sought to retain the crisp, dynamic design of the original and enhance it by widening the body overall and adding more muscular and distinctive cues to create a keen-edged sports sedan. Their key design goal was to create an aerodynamic design that evokes both emotion and tension with a decisively sporty flair.

Outward visibility is improved with a slimmer A-pillar design, while an auto up/down front passenger window adds convenience and a reverse-linked passenger-side door mirror tilts down to help improve safety while parallel parking. The new TSX also has a wider trunk opening and a lower trunk lift-over height for more convenient loading.

Exterior/Interior
    Functionality and refinement converge with luxury and style in the interior of the 2009 Acura TSX. Featuring a blend of sweeping, contemporary shapes, a high level of standard comfort and convenience features, widespread use of premium materials and an available Technology Package, this 5-passenger sports sedan offers the upscale modern interior that customers have come to expect from Acura.

From the precision-crafted metal door sills to the satin-metal finish accents, from new leather-covered seats to the steering-wheel mounted controls, and from the premium 7-speaker sound system to the dual-zone automatic climate control, the TSX represents a merge of intelligent design and innovation. For example, Bluetooth® connectivity is standard and includes a HandsFreeLink® cellular telephone interface that makes communications easier and safer while en route.

Typical of Acura, the TSX offers an exceptional level of standard equipment. Included are a standard power passenger seat, a new folding key with remote entry, new automatic headlight activation, a premium 7-speaker sound system with CD, AM/FM/XM®, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® , and USB port music interface. A HomeLink® remote control system is also standard.

Adding to the already impressive list of TSX standard equipment is the available Technology Package, which bristles with leading-edge electronics that make driving much more efficient and enjoyable. These include an Acura Navigation System with Voice
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    they didn't mention weight anywhere in there, which I suppose has increased as they so often do when cars are updated. Power is about the same, at least fuel economy and smog emissions are a bit better, and direct injection should give more access to engine torque at around-town engine speeds. In getting bigger, there will be less and less to distinguish it from the TL, although that also gets an update this year so I suppose that could become truly gargantuan this year. Whatever happened to small light fun cars?

All in all, it seems like a pretty light update, almost more like a midcycle thing than a full revision. Anyone else get that impression?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    I didn't read anything about "direct injection." The article mentioned a "direct ignition system" but, please correct me if I'm wrong here, that's different from direct injection.

I agree with your concern about weight. In addition, and also related to the weight issue, there's a tendency for each new generation to be wider than the preceding one. An additional three inches is a large increase, and it's a negative in terms of aerodynamics and, therefore, gas mileage. For me, the additional size and weight of the '08 Accord is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, in terms of my interest in that car. If I bought a Honda product today, it would be a Civic, but I wish that model had retained the double wishbone suspension. I like the idea of a luxury compact, but I guess my notion of what the TSX should be is best embodied in the Civic EX-L.

By the way, I think the '08 Focus with the leather option is a viable alternative to that Civic, and, unlike many, I don't buy into the notion that the European Focus is materially better, if any better than the domestic one. Sure, it's newer, but from what I've read there are tradeoffs, and the older platform used in the U.S. Focus has an advantage in terms of weight and handling over the newer European one.
  • My current 06 TSX was a step up compared to my Accord. I'm not feeling the new styling, power, and features of the 09 TSX. I was really looking forward to a more aggressive design and bigger boost in HP/TQ.

I will need a 2nd car in the garage next to the 06 TSX in the next 12-18 months. I have to wait for the all new TL and hope this car will not disappoint also.

TSX: under powered engines (I-4 and the soon 2.2 L turbo diesels)
    TL:???
    RDX: poor fuel Eco on Turbo, needs a V-6 option
    RL: underpowered V-6, needs a V-8 option
    MDX: underpowered V-6, needs a V-8 or V-6 turbo diesel w CVT or 7AT

I drive a 06 TSX 5AT between 5000-8000 feet above sea level, a V-6 and/or turbo would get me closer to my sea level TSX brothers/sisters in HP/TQ.
  • Let me just start out by saying that I own a 2006 TSX with a 6-Speed manual, and what are my thoughts about the new Acura TSX? MISSED OPPORTUNITY. I don't like the look of it in photos, but I'll reserve my judgement on that until I see it in person. The biggest problem is the basically carry over engine. Granted it has more torque but it lost horsepower. Most people only pay attention to the horsepower number, and 201 is on the low side for a car trying to compete in this class. Driving my 205 hp TSX I find the power to be more than adequate, but I'm driving a stick and can wring it out more with the additional gear and less weight. I love the TSX, the engine are transmission are a great team and it's a shame that many people water it down by getting an automatic. The soon to be released diesel engine option is a non starter. Most people will shy away from it due to ignorance and myth. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Did Acura steal a page out of Saturns design book? What is with that shield in the front! Totally Saturn!! Way to go Acura, another fugly design!!

link title

Also, waaaaay to many buttons on the interior. Too many on the steering wheel. Not so bad in the center console, but, still. Looks like Honda did not learn their lesson with the complaints about the "busy" button stack in the Accord.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Car debuted at the 09 NYIAS. No plans for SH-AWD. Unless a new smaller fuel tank is installed. A larger more powerful engine will be installed. No Turbo this time.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Posts: 129
    What is Honda doing?? First, they screw up the Accord, and now this cheesy attempt at a TSX. (the one revealed at the NY auto show) I've been a Honda believer and owner for a while, but the only Honda-brand cars I would actually even consider now are the current generation TSX and TL...unfortunately, it looks like at least one of them is being replaced by a pretty poor attempt at a re-design.

If there's one good thing about these photos, it's that the interior looks better put together than the new Accord's clunky heap of buttons.
  • This new TSX is simply ugly. It appears to be a blend of Toyota Camry, and Saturn whatever. I have been debating whether I should wait for the new redesigned TSX or buy the currnet one. I guess my choice is now clear as I am ready to make an offer on a 2008 TSX.