Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Acura TSX

Comments

• biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    The 09 TSX will debut at the NY auto show and will be in late April.

TORRANCE, Calif., U.S.A., February 11, 2008- Designed and engineered to reaffirm its place as a desirable and affordable entry point for entry-premium buyers, the all-new second-generation 2009 TSX is larger, more agile, more performance minded and even "more Acura" than ever before. Carefully crafted to honor the original TSX's vision as a world-class sports sedan, the new TSX has significantly evolved to offer more comfort, convenience, driving performance and safety. It does so with expanded luxury and electronic features, a wider stance for more agile performance, and advanced safety systems.

The 2009 TSX is expected to appeal to current TSX owners, young professionals and other image seekers who will appreciate its innovative styling, technical allure and total performance - while also valuing the outstanding customer treatment that owners have come to enjoy at Acura dealerships. Extremely brand conscious and eclectic in their tastes, buyers will find the TSX as satisfying for driving colleagues to lunch as it is for weekend snowboarding trips or vacation travel.

Powertrain
    An all-aluminum DOHC i-VTEC® in-line 4-cylinder engine heralds a pair of firsts for the TSX model, including dual balance shafts and a direct ignition system. Along with improved performance, it is also cleaner as it now meeting the EPA's aggressive Tier 2-Bin 5 and CARB LEV II Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) standards for the first time in TSX history.

Displacing 2.4-liters and producing 201 hp and 172 lb-ft of torque (with manual transmission), the new in-line 4-cylinder engine produces its useable power across a much wider rpm range, while five percent more torque further strengthens the engine's pulling power at middle rpm levels. This allows the 2009 TSX to be more responsive off the line and out of corners, and stronger in the middle of the rpm range where the engine operates most of the time.

This newfound performance and flexibility is due in part to a higher compression ratio, revised valve timing, and improved intake and exhaust gas flow. Further credit goes to the TSX engine's i-VTEC® "intelligent" valve control system, which provides the power characteristics of a V-6 without sacrificing the light weight or fuel efficiency of an in-line four. Likewise, a new rear-mounted exhaust manifold layout, a close-coupled catalytic converter design, and a Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system substantially reduce emissions levels. Estimated fuel mileage is 21/30/24 mpg* (city/highway/combined, 5 AT) and 20/28/23 mpg* (city/highway/combined, 6 MT).

Two transmissions are available, both as standard equipment - a 6-speed close- ratio manual with new performance-oriented ratios for Second through Sixth gears, and a Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic with a new lock-up torque converter assembly. The manual transmission features a short-throw shifter with a precise, light action that makes it highly rewarding to use, while the Sequential SportShift automatic permits fully automatic operation with intelligent features such as Grade Logic Control and Shift Hold Control, which make driving the TSX on hilly or winding roads more enjoyable. If the driver desires, the automatic transmission can also be operated manually via new steering-wheel mounted F1®-style paddle shifters.

Body and Chassis
    The 2009 TSX body structure includes two firsts for the Acura division, including a closed-channel cross-braced roof structure and inside frame rails. Along with a stronger rear bulkhead, the closed-channel cross-braced roof structure yields a more rigid and vibration-resistant structure. The first use of inside frame rails for any Acura model help tailor the aerodynamics underneath the car for improved fuel economy, lower emissions and reduced noise. In addition, new A-, B- and C-pillar separators improve the TSX's quietness over rough roads and at high speed. Slippery aerodynamics also helps fuel economy as well as high-speed stability - all while lowering emissions.

In addition to its 3.0-inch greater width and 2.6-inch wider track, the 2009 TSX has a 1.3-inch longer wheelbase and 2.4 inches more overall length. These dimensions combine to provide greater interior roominess, more agile handling and improved ride quality. Another first for Acura are the TSX's new dual-mode suspension dampers, which provide superior suspension damping characteristics at both lower and higher damper speeds. Using a unique deflector plate stack, the new dampers adjust compression damping characteristics to suit the vehicle speed, cornering forces and road surface. In creating the second-generation TSX body design, Acura designers sought to retain the crisp, dynamic design of the original and enhance it by widening the body overall and adding more muscular and distinctive cues to create a keen-edged sports sedan. Their key design goal was to create an aerodynamic design that evokes both emotion and tension with a decisively sporty flair.

Outward visibility is improved with a slimmer A-pillar design, while an auto up/down front passenger window adds convenience and a reverse-linked passenger-side door mirror tilts down to help improve safety while parallel parking. The new TSX also has a wider trunk opening and a lower trunk lift-over height for more convenient loading.

Exterior/Interior
    Functionality and refinement converge with luxury and style in the interior of the 2009 Acura TSX. Featuring a blend of sweeping, contemporary shapes, a high level of standard comfort and convenience features, widespread use of premium materials and an available Technology Package, this 5-passenger sports sedan offers the upscale modern interior that customers have come to expect from Acura.

From the precision-crafted metal door sills to the satin-metal finish accents, from new leather-covered seats to the steering-wheel mounted controls, and from the premium 7-speaker sound system to the dual-zone automatic climate control, the TSX represents a merge of intelligent design and innovation. For example, Bluetooth® connectivity is standard and includes a HandsFreeLink® cellular telephone interface that makes communications easier and safer while en route.

Typical of Acura, the TSX offers an exceptional level of standard equipment. Included are a standard power passenger seat, a new folding key with remote entry, new automatic headlight activation, a premium 7-speaker sound system with CD, AM/FM/XM®, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® , and USB port music interface. A HomeLink® remote control system is also standard.

Adding to the already impressive list of TSX standard equipment is the available Technology Package, which bristles with leading-edge electronics that make driving much more efficient and enjoyable. These include an Acura Navigation System with Voice
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    they didn't mention weight anywhere in there, which I suppose has increased as they so often do when cars are updated. Power is about the same, at least fuel economy and smog emissions are a bit better, and direct injection should give more access to engine torque at around-town engine speeds. In getting bigger, there will be less and less to distinguish it from the TL, although that also gets an update this year so I suppose that could become truly gargantuan this year. Whatever happened to small light fun cars?

All in all, it seems like a pretty light update, almost more like a midcycle thing than a full revision. Anyone else get that impression?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,332
    I didn't read anything about "direct injection." The article mentioned a "direct ignition system" but, please correct me if I'm wrong here, that's different from direct injection.

I agree with your concern about weight. In addition, and also related to the weight issue, there's a tendency for each new generation to be wider than the preceding one. An additional three inches is a large increase, and it's a negative in terms of aerodynamics and, therefore, gas mileage. For me, the additional size and weight of the '08 Accord is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, in terms of my interest in that car. If I bought a Honda product today, it would be a Civic, but I wish that model had retained the double wishbone suspension. I like the idea of a luxury compact, but I guess my notion of what the TSX should be is best embodied in the Civic EX-L.

By the way, I think the '08 Focus with the leather option is a viable alternative to that Civic, and, unlike many, I don't buy into the notion that the European Focus is materially better, if any better than the domestic one. Sure, it's newer, but from what I've read there are tradeoffs, and the older platform used in the U.S. Focus has an advantage in terms of weight and handling over the newer European one.
  • My current 06 TSX was a step up compared to my Accord. I'm not feeling the new styling, power, and features of the 09 TSX. I was really looking forward to a more aggressive design and bigger boost in HP/TQ.

I will need a 2nd car in the garage next to the 06 TSX in the next 12-18 months. I have to wait for the all new TL and hope this car will not disappoint also.

TSX: under powered engines (I-4 and the soon 2.2 L turbo diesels)
    TL:???
    RDX: poor fuel Eco on Turbo, needs a V-6 option
    RL: underpowered V-6, needs a V-8 option
    MDX: underpowered V-6, needs a V-8 or V-6 turbo diesel w CVT or 7AT

I drive a 06 TSX 5AT between 5000-8000 feet above sea level, a V-6 and/or turbo would get me closer to my sea level TSX brothers/sisters in HP/TQ.
  • Let me just start out by saying that I own a 2006 TSX with a 6-Speed manual, and what are my thoughts about the new Acura TSX? MISSED OPPORTUNITY. I don't like the look of it in photos, but I'll reserve my judgement on that until I see it in person. The biggest problem is the basically carry over engine. Granted it has more torque but it lost horsepower. Most people only pay attention to the horsepower number, and 201 is on the low side for a car trying to compete in this class. Driving my 205 hp TSX I find the power to be more than adequate, but I'm driving a stick and can wring it out more with the additional gear and less weight. I love the TSX, the engine are transmission are a great team and it's a shame that many people water it down by getting an automatic. The soon to be released diesel engine option is a non starter. Most people will shy away from it due to ignorance and myth. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Did Acura steal a page out of Saturns design book? What is with that shield in the front! Totally Saturn!! Way to go Acura, another fugly design!!

link title

Also, waaaaay to many buttons on the interior. Too many on the steering wheel. Not so bad in the center console, but, still. Looks like Honda did not learn their lesson with the complaints about the "busy" button stack in the Accord.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Car debuted at the 09 NYIAS. No plans for SH-AWD. Unless a new smaller fuel tank is installed. A larger more powerful engine will be installed. No Turbo this time.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Posts: 129
    What is Honda doing?? First, they screw up the Accord, and now this cheesy attempt at a TSX. (the one revealed at the NY auto show) I've been a Honda believer and owner for a while, but the only Honda-brand cars I would actually even consider now are the current generation TSX and TL...unfortunately, it looks like at least one of them is being replaced by a pretty poor attempt at a re-design.

If there's one good thing about these photos, it's that the interior looks better put together than the new Accord's clunky heap of buttons.
  • This new TSX is simply ugly. It appears to be a blend of Toyota Camry, and Saturn whatever. I have been debating whether I should wait for the new redesigned TSX or buy the currnet one. I guess my choice is now clear as I am ready to make an offer on a 2008 TSX.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    I totally agree. This whole time I thought that thumbnail pic was of a Saturn model. When I clicked on it, it was the 09 Acura TSX! Who designs Honda's cars nowadays? Are they ex-GM designers?

As a previous 2004 Acura TSX owner, I've always thought that the original model (japanese/european version) with the original alloys were the best one.
    I have to agree. The 1st gen TSX is a really sharp car. I do like the design, and they were also very popular, even with sales figures around 30,000/year. They are tough to find on dealer lots. I see a lot of design similarities between the 1st TSX and my Mazda6.

Anyways, the new TSX looks like garbage. I really think they ruined it. If Acura is really trying to "advance" (hehehe) in the entry lux segment, they took a serious step backwards instead. Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Infiniti G35, Caddy CTS are all far superior.
    Edmunds' comments regarding the '09 TSX suggests that this car lacks sufficient excitement for its segment. While its a good car, as one would fully expect from Acura, its not outstanding, in terms of the driving experience, and not enough of an improvement over the current model to justify four years to develop something more compelling.
  • otisnjotisnj Posts: 15
    Saw the TSX at the NYIAS today.

Frankly it was under whelming. A bit bland both inside and out. My brother made note of the cheap looking plastic used around the dash. I'll drive it when it comes out next month. But unless the drive blows me away (and the new gearing significantly improves acceleration), I may wait until the TL debuts (The rep at the show had no specific information on the TL - just that it was coming this fall) or look elsewhere - perhaps the new Mercedes C-Class or the G35.

I am curious what others thought who saw it at the show.

By the way, we also looked at the Accord. Styling preferences aside, For 22K it's an impressive car.
  • lisadog1lisadog1 Posts: 1
    I'm Otisnj's bro. In fairness, I drive an '07 bimmer 328i (and the crappy S-10 Chevy pickup that took us to the show- a "beater" is a wonderful thing to have to drive in NYC!). The Germans have almost always come up with interior designs (materials and layout) that are better than anyone else. That said, I was surprised by the rather cheesy look of the TSX's interior. For a couple of dollars more per car...

To Otisnj: don't forget Bavarian Motor Works. And test drives are free.
  • satoautosatoauto Posts: 22
    Since the TSX was influenced by the Sports 4 concept and this car debuted back in 2006? I'd have to say that Saturn copied Acura's design. Anyway, except for ONE element, (the shield) they don't look alike at all.
    I really dont see much resemblance at all from the Sports 4 concept to the production TSX. The S4 concept was a really hot looking car.

I happen to think the shields look almost identical.
    The Sports 4 and the TSX share the same design language. They have the same grill and 'shield', the same fender flares, the same lateral character line that intersects the front flares as it goes to the back.

Anyway, it's a design theme that is adapted to each car. The MDX has the same basic shapes and the new TL will too. In fact, look at the shape of the lower part of the Sports 4 front bumper. Look a the current TL. See a resemblance?
    If I remember correctly, the TL came out long before the Sports 4 concept debuted. At the auto show there was the new RL, which had striking resemblance to the Sports 4 Concept as well as the current Accord.
    That is correct. My point is that design trends are typically set about 3 years before car reaches production. The 2004 has a lower air intake design that influenced the Sports 4. Lending credibility to the notion that when the next generation TL arrives, it will carry this theme into the 2009 TL. Of course it will also incorporate the new 'keen edge' language too, this means the fender flares, grill, head and tail light treatment.
  • p72weilp72weil Posts: 1
    I just saw the photos of the 09 TSX and I must say I'm disappointed with the body style. The concept car's body style looked great and would brought some excitement to the Acura line up, but its not to be. As of how the first generation car is the better looking of the two. It also would had been nice if Acura could have added a little more guts to the engine, especially with low range torque. Hey Honda why are you afraid of turbo charging you have one in the RDX. Anyway, I guest I will hang on to my 04 a little bit longer and wait to see what will happen with the new TL.
    And the cheapest version will cost a whopping $29,000!! That's a lot of dough.

Legacy turbo anyone? How about a well-outfitted Passat for the same price, or a very swish Jetta GLI for LESS money? Or a Volvo with the turbo? Or go another $2000 for a base model C300 or IS300 and get RWD?

All would make very compelling alternatives to the TSX, and by comparison would make the TSX powertrain seem to be on the weakish side.

Yeah, my perception of the '09 TSX is that good enough isn't good enough. We've come to expect better from Acura. Maybe adding a turbo, without raising the price, would add sufficient value to make it more compelling in the marketplace. Another disappointment is that although the car is bigger and heavier, rear seat legroom is about the same as the current generation TSX. Between the '09 TSX and the 4 cylinder Accord EX-L I'd choose the Accord and save the difference, even though the Accord is larger than I'd like on the outside.
    Yeah, if it came with the RDX turbo for $29K, it would be a zinger of a proposition - that would change the value equation entirely.

As it is I cheer them for raising fuel economy (although it didn't go up much) at the expense of power, but I think the price is too high now. When this car debuted under $27K, I thought it was just about at the limit of its potential price range. Since then the price has crept up and up without any substantial improvements, and the redo seems like more of the same. Very mild.

I would rather see an 8/10-scale TSX in the lineup, with the engine it has now and 8/10 the weight, starting at around $25K without NAV. Let the TL take over the mid-sedan slot in the Acura lineup.

• indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    At one time, I was seriously considering the TSX. Nice car, but seriously underpowered. That was really the car's only serious shortcoming and Honda has failed to address it with this new model. It is really too bad. With their expertise in high revving, high hp fours (i.e., motorcycles), they could easily build a 250 hp naturally aspirated zinger. Hell, the 2000 has 240 hp, right?
  • luvster1luvster1 Posts: 1
    It reminds of the new Saturn in front grille
    and with the old Camry lights in back
    on trunk area yet of course not the same car.
    I like the interrior and longer size as well.
    I like the color selection better, saw it at a dealership.
    One of the new colors is a deep burgandy color. Funny I always liked the green
    TSX with Ivory leather but hardly saw them on the roads.
    Always see the gray, red, sliver or white the most.
    I guess I'll wait another year.
    And when you consider that this same 2.4 is making 190 hp in the new Accord, 10 extra horses in the new TSX isn't exactly overwhelming, is it?

You are right, they could apply a little Honda magic to this thing and pull at LEAST the 240 hp the S2000 has. That would be fun. I am all for increasing fuel economy, but since it is all but certain that there will be a diesel-powered TSX within a year or two, that could be the high-FE model, leaving the NA gas to be something a bit more special.

• biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    You can bet that when the diesel is offered the gas version will get a HP bump. For 09 Honda will milk the market with a new platform then later provide new powertrains to keep sales going - the BMW way of rolling out models.
    Yeah sure, but for now what do they have? A new model with an ugly schnozz, with about the same fuel economy as a 328i (or even 128i for folks that don't mind 2 doors instead of four), a car which has RWD and 20% more power for maybe $5000 more.

And at the other end of the spectrum, they are being undercut in price (in some cases significantly) by FWD and AWD models like the VWs, Saabs, Volvos, and you-name-it, which also have the same fuel economy and more power.

I hope one day Honda puts some new lightweight, high-revving cars in the Acura lineup. And by that I mean models BESIDES the new NSX!

• Anyone knows what date will the 09 TSX hit showroom?
This discussion has been closed.