Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

Comments

• When I bought my 3 on 7/31 the dealer had a grand total of 6 of them to choose from, and had just gotten the one I ended up buying off the truck that same morning. There were no unprepped units on the back lot, nada!

This was at the Mazda dealer in Fresno California, a metropolitan area of over half a million population, not some small town.

Mine was a 6/04 production car, as were the other 2 that I looked at that night. Figure a month to 2 months between rolling off the line in Hiroshima and hitting dealer lots on this side of the Pacific, and that means there is little or no back inventory on the 3, they're selling as fast as they hit the dealerships.

Given a 2 month or so lead time I bet production on the 3 was interrupted, however briefly, for the 05 model change, contributing to the short supply of 04 models at this time.

I really doubt that we'll be seing leftover 04 Mazda 3s languishing on dealer lots in November.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    new and thoroughly competitive MPV? Sure! Although, how many tries are we going to give Mazda on this one?

New Millennia? Now is not the right time, IMO. Gotta get a really solid grounding in core areas first. And in Mazda's case, gotta give a really great launch to the next Miata, the first real update this car has had in 14 years.

I assume you want that MX-6 to be a two-door Mazda6? I like that idea - with more handling capabilities than the sedans and wagons. And for that matter, I like the idea of an MX-3 too.

Mazdaspeed 3? I thought that was already in the works? Didn't I read something recently?

As of 8/1, Automotive News reported a 50-day inventory of Mazda3s. Not THAT hot, but certainly better than the industry average. I think July and August were just dreadful for the industry in general.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• guestguest Posts: 774
    On the topic of the MPV the van has only been updated twice in its existence. The same model ran from about 1990-1997 if I am right. The current one needs to be updated to go head to head with Honda, Toyota, and even Chrysler.

In my opinion The MX-6 name needs to be reborn because when Mazda makes the 6 bigger in 2007 its going to leave some of their younger buyers out in the cold. Bringing back the MX-6 name will allow Mazda to still get that 20-30 year old buyer that the current 6 is getting now. From what I read in the current issue of Car and Driver the next 6 might be based on a Lincoln platorm. The way I see it Mazda could make an MX-6 on a shortened Lincoln platform. An MX-3? I remember the last generation MX-3. Kinda small in size for my tastes.

Finally, thanks for clearing up the issue I have with Mazda 3 sales in the last couple of months. The industry average for a car is 65 days on a lot. Its very unusual in my opinion for a compact car to have such demand. I am happy to hear a Mazda Speed 3 is on the way. I'm wonderimg when that will debut.
  • nornenorne Posts: 136
    The following article is from latest issue of automotive news.

"Mazda Motor Corp. plans to build more Mazda3s to meet strong demand in the United States and elsewhere.Mazda is assembling the Mazda3 at an annual pace of about 254,000. But demand is running at an annual pace of more than 300,000."

As someone mentioned earlier maybe sales of mazda 3 is slowing due to lack of inventory?
    the original MX-3 had an optional V-6 that I think was probaly the smallest production V-6 ever to grace our shores - wasn't it a 2.0? That car was a hoot.

The MX-6, OTOH, had WAY too much Ford Probe for my tastes. This one needs to be Mazda-engineered from the ground up.

The speculation I read on a Mazdaspeed 3 had it appearing in about a year. It was little more than heightened rumors, but I gave it some credence because it would make a lot of sense for Mazda.

I heard it the other way around: the Lincoln Zephyr (and now Mercury Milan as well) are to be based on a stretched Mazda6 platform - isn't that right? I am betting that either the 6 Hatch or 6 Wagon will not make it (probably the hatch) due to low sales and if it is replaced by a MX-6 variant, I will be quite gratified!

As to the 3, if what norne mentioned comes to pass and the 3 tops 300K annual sales, it will really be playing in the big leagues - corolla only tops out at about 330K-350K, and that would be well above Civic.

The MPV debuted in 1989 - Mazda was ahead of both Nissan and Honda (GM also?) in having its own minivan, yet it has been surpassed in sales by all of them...and isn't this the fourth gen now, or was one of those just a refresh? Either way, I really thought they finally hit the sweet spot for a so-called "zoom zoom" minivan with the current model, but sales have not taken off. To me, that does not bode well.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,587
    I believe that the MX-3 V6 was 1.8l, but don't hold me to it.

I do rememebr thinking it was kinda silly jamming in a tiny V6 when a nice 4 would do the job just fine, and be cheaper.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    All 3's come from the same factory.
    ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...well the figures for Corolla and Civic I mentioned were U.S.-only. The Corolla sells almost a million a year worldwide. Don't know the corresponding figure for Civic, but it has to be pretty high because it is quite popular in Europe.

stickguy, I wonder how big the standard 4-cyl was in the MX-3. Do you have any recollection, or will I have to go look it up?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,587
    1.7l I think, but won't swear to it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• The MX-3 had the 1.8 version of that V-6, which was also built in 2.0 and 2.5 liter versions.

http://www.rs-productions.com/RSP_Motors/tech/sae-920677/sae-9206- 77.htm
    so it had a standard 1.7 4-cyl, with the option being a 1.8 V-6??!! Subtle differences...

...edit...OK, wait, I looked it up, and at least according to the KBB, the 4-cyl was a 1.6. Still not a huge difference.

I would really like to see them bring back the MX-3. I know sales were very slow back then which is why it got axed, but hatches were dying in the early 90s, and now they seem to be making a bit of a comeback.

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Just a reminder, if it's Tuesday, it must be Mazda Chat Night!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Chat is on TONIGHT. Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• the 3 has grown on me, but i still prefer my 2003 pr5...
    The second generation MX-6(93-97)did share platforms I think with the Ford Probe. The First generation MX-6(88-92) I'm not sure if it had alot in common with the Ford Probe at that time. I agree though if the MX-6 name does come back it has to have whole lot of zoom-zoom DNA.

I agree with you on the Mazdaspeed 3. Mazda feeds the customer who is an enthusiast. Mazda definately has to go ahead and make a Mazdaspeed 3 for their enthusiast customers.

Finally, with the MPV Mazda has to deal with Honda and Toyota head on in that category. Its hard to go up against Honda and Toyota head to head in the mini-van category. Mazda is just not good at marketing to familes. I figure though once the people who now own Mazda 3 and 6's when they have familes they won't run to HOnda and Toyota anymore. When Mazda went ahead with the 95 Protege and 98 626 they totally threw themselves for a loop in terms of target audience. They basically had no customers to buy the current MPV. To me the current MPV shares alot more exterior styling DNA with the 99 Protege 03 6, and 04 3 than with the 95 Protege and 98 626. Its hard to explain but you see where I am getting at here?
  • Mazdaspeed MPV. 350 horsepower AWD turbocharged minivan complete with hood scoop, aero body kit, wing spoiler, racing-harness type-seatbelts and manumatic tranny. Perfect for...umm...well...brain-burp over. :D
    I see where you are going, and the only thing I would possibly dispute is that customers are that loyal to brands these days. But for those that are brand-loyal, the natural progression is from sedan to minivan, I think, as families grow, and Mazda had the 626 since the early 80s. The thing is, regardless of golf daddy's and soccer mommy's secret aspirations, most people don't want "zoom zoom" in a minivan. They want interior space and flexibility first, with a heavy helping of safety a close second, and good fuel economy and reliability if they are allowed a three and a four. Zoom zoom is down there around tenth, if it is on the list at all. Before that, they also want a good value, and they want a vehicle that fits everyone and everything but drives a lot more like a car than most SUVs do.

BTW, I would love it if someone would clarify just what relation the MX-6 had to the Probe in the early years. I thought Ford was basically rebadging an all-Mazda MX-6 for the first-gen Probe, and it was more of a mixed bag, with a LOT more Ford parts, for the second gen of each.

• 1st gen Probe and MX-6 were all-Mazda except for an optional V-6 version of the Probe which got the cast-iron Vulcan 3 litre V-6 originally designed for the first generation Taurus.

2nd generation was more of a mixed bag except I think Ford dropped the Vulcan in the V-6 Probe in favor of the Mazda-built dohc unit used in the MX-6. Pricing was usually higher on the MX-6 than the Probe on the 2nd generation.
    "But for those that are brand loyal, and natural progressionis from sedan to minivan, I think as families grow, and Mazda has had the 626 since the early 80's."

Yeah Mazda had the 626 since the early 80's but they try to style the 98 626 to directly target Honda/Toyota and exploded in Mazda's face. I think in 98 and 99 the 626 sold ok(not any great jump in sales from the previous generation 626 though)then when they refreshed the 626 for the 2000 model year thats when sales started to really slip for the 626. I had a 98 626 but Mazda's core audience didn't really go for it. The 98 626 just didn't really have too much demand with customers.
    some experience of a late 90s 626 4-cyl, and I can attest to the fact that there was really no "zoom zoom" in that car at all, at least not any more than there was in an Altima or Accord of the time. It is not hard to figure out why they lost sales a lot on that model. The 6 has brought things back from the brink for Mazda's midsizer, but what would be wonderful to see now is that Mazdaspeed Mazda6 you mentioned earlier...

Products get outdated so quickly in today's market, especially in the high-volume compact and midsize segments.

It looked like in the first of the year it was coming together for Mazda. However during the last 3 months sales have been down. I don't get it. Every other brand had a good sales month last month even brands like Volvo and Chrysler who have been very up and down for the last 2 decades. Mazda has the best styled cars in each category in my opinion. I'm lost for words. Kia might outsell Mazda this year. Thats nothing to be proud of. Maybe Mazda needs to go back to heavy discounting to get cars off the lots.