Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    As the owner of a GTS, you paid WAAAAAAAY too much for 2 tires......

And how in the heck to you ruin 2 tires with 1 flat? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    And how in the heck to you ruin 2 tires with 1 flat?

You don't ruin two tires. But, unless the ruined tire and it's vehicle/axle mate are brand spanking new, you do want to replace tires in pairs (if not entire sets, if you are in the habit of rotating tires). Otherwise, the mismatches are very hard on your suspension and dangerous for handling.

Also, to sebring95: It isn't so much a matter of getting attacked on the side of the road (though this is a legal concealed weapon state!). It's the fact that drivers too frequently ram into a car stopped at the side of the road. My theory is that this happens because we drive fast here and, when confronted with traffic slowing faster than expected (as they tend to do when a car is on the shoulder), drivers here are in the habit of veering toward the shoulder in an attempt to avoid rear-ending the car in front of them. As a result, they frequently slam into the before-that-point-unseen broken-down vehicle and/or people standing on the shoulder: out of the frying pan and into the fire, as it where. :surprise:
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    And how in the heck to you ruin 2 tires with 1 flat?

Because the tires were getting worn, we replaced them both so the tread would be even. Price didn't seem bad, tirerack prices were in the ballpark and I'm good friends with the tire shop guys so they always give me good prices. These were her summer tires/wheels, 17" something or another. Youngest boy just got an Acura type-S with some real low-pro 17's, probably be expensive, hopefully it doesn't burn tires as fast as the Celica does.
  • ichafatichafat Posts: 5
    I would say there is very little to worry about in the recalls. After all the first three recalls affected a grand total of 4373 vehicles. And this latest recall, which according to information I have seen, covers build dates from 7/6/4 to 3/7/5, is to fix something that will cause an airbag warning light to come on in the case of actual failure. In other words, it's not exactly in the same classification as the Exploder/Firestone rollovers of a few years back. In fact, most of the recalls affecting vehicles I have owned were relatively minor matters, for which there was no need to schedule a special trip to the dealer. Once, when Chrysler lost track of me after moving cross-country, my car had a recall repair automatically applied the next time it was at the dealer for service. Also, this number of recalls for a new model is not high. There have been at least 2 recalls for all previous Ody models in recent years.
  • zebra5zebra5 Posts: 44
    For any of you Honda sales guys out there, can you share what kind of "days in inventory" figures you have for the '05 Odyssey (specific to EX-Ls if possible)? And for perspective, are these inventory levels any greater today than they were six months ago? And for greater perspective, do you know how this compares to other minivans out there, or maybe even Pilots? Thanks in advance.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    NOT an Odyssey salesman but I know that most dealers have ZERO days inventory of 2005 Odysseys....and deposits for all their allotments of new 2006 Odysseys ;) .
  • Anyone hear Jay Leno last night? He said the recall was *because the drivers look like nerds* - hee hee. Does he not know these are SPORT Vans, not the MINI Vans of days gone by! :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,676
    I think we might have one or two unsold Odysseys in stock right now. We have maybe a dozen incoming 2005's and probably half of these are pre-sold.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the competition. I do know there seem to be, as usual, a ton of Chrysler minivans sitting on lots as well as a pretty good supply of Siennas.

It's frustrating and I hope the situation improves.
  • Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. Here is another piece of information that is very disturbing. I am not sure how to interpret, but according to JD Power, 2005 Odyssey has an overall rating of 2 star, which is their lowest . This is really shocking! JD Power gave a 5 star rating to 2004 Odyssey. What did Honda do to go to a 2 start from 5 star after (supposed to be) improving over 2004. I am not trying to find all the negative things about Odyssey, but wanted to share and get opinion from all of you. I am (hopefully) going to get my Odyssey next week!

Here is the website: http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/index.jsp
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    That information is disturbing mich-chow. Did that information just become available? I recall reading that Ody scored 4 and 5 star on crash test ratings.

Perhaps JD Power sees the drivers side door flying open in a collision as more of a saftey issue than NHTSA does.It is a first year production model though...so maybe Honda can work the bugs out and get that crash rating back up to a 4 or 5.
  • The Honda got a 2 star and the T & C got 4 stars and the DC got 3 stars. I still chose an Odyssey since I know in the long term the Honda will last > 100 K miles easily whereas the Caravans will start to have problems after 70K. These are from personal experiences with Honda and Chrysler automobiles.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    100 K miles easily whereas the Caravans will start to have problems after 70K. These are from personal experiences with Honda and Chrysler automobiles.

I had a Honda Civic, 1990 that made it to 80k before needing clutch and other items. Prvevious car was 1983 Cavalier with 190k trouble free miles (still with original clutch!!). Try going to the DC Minivan board and reading thru the problems....people with will over 100k miles. You're perpetuating a myth!! With the right treatment, ANY car can make it 250k miles.

Interesting....only 2 stars??? Must have to do with all it's problems - poor gas mileage, brake problems, interior trim, power doors, AC condensers, 4 recalls and everything else you can find on these forums!!!
    You are confusing JD Power rating with crash tests I believe.

Odyssey gets 5 stars all around. The driver's door didn't "fly" open either. I saw the photo and it only opened a bit. No, it shouldn't have but a belted in passenger wouldn't have a problem.

I have no idea how JD Power rates anything.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    according to JD Power, 2005 Odyssey has an overall rating of 2 star, which is their lowest . This is really shocking! JD Power gave a 5 star rating to 2004 Odyssey. What did Honda do to go to a 2 start from 5 star after (supposed to be) improving over 2004. I am not trying to find all the negative things about Odyssey, but wanted to share and get opinion from all of you. I am (hopefully) going to get my Odyssey next week!

Here is the website: http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/index.jsp

If you have already paid for your Odyssey, it is a little late to worry about the JD Power rating. You should have studied this report *before* buying the vehicle.

The 2005 Ody deserves a 2 star rating. Look at all the Quality problems this vehicle has been having. This is the worst new vehicle launch in Honda's history.
  • We get 13 mpg suburban/city and 21 highway. This seems terrible compared to the 20/28 advertised. Would appreciate if others would share what they get. Thanks.
    Are MUCH higher on dealer lots in Salt Lake City area than those of Caravan/Grand Caravan and Town & Country. The Dodge and Chrysler dealers have NO new 2005 minivans on their lots. ;)
    Last time I checked, all Honda dealers had a few Odysseys on their lots. :confuse:
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    Yes, "Employee Pricing" has been a very successful sales tool for the "domestics." They are certainly :)
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Are MUCH higher on dealer lots in Salt Lake City area than those of Caravan/Grand Caravan and Town & Country. The Dodge and Chrysler dealers have NO new 2005 minivans on their lots

Looked online and heres the breakdown of the 4 dealerships in Salt Lake City
    2005 GRAND CARAVANS Available/I will call if you want LOL
    Hinkley Dodge-9 Grand Caravans
    Menlove Dodge- 5 Grand Caravans
    Ken Garff- 1 Grand Caravan
    Larry Miller- 4 Grand Caravans

Most are SE's but there are some out there!! Go get um HANS!!!
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    ouch, another one :P
  • that JD powerthing is pure BS. Everything is based on their own study????
    For sure ody'05 has problems! But I think they are minor. If DC or TW owner need to take comfort from that, let it be!
    I know from my exp all vehicles have problems. The recalls or anything else that has been dicussed in these forums are minor. I own Toyota as well as Honda. Both of them have their own problems. Since ody 2005 is a new vehicle and there is a lot of talk and expectation about it. Some has to do with the latest technology adopted. Lot of technology lot of problems. Look at that site for other car/van ratings. I am sure people will have surprizes. That's why people do not check that site may be. I never heard of this site before.

anyway one more site to look at I guess! Add more to the confusion.... Welcome to the new way of buying car! ;)
  • I wonder how this one company can rate the Honda so bad, and just about every other company rate it good. :confuse:
  • I have not yet bought (paid for) the van, but still considering to buy. Here is why: I did a little more research and it looks like the JD Power ranking is based on consumer reports. Here is a quote from their site (one can follow the link Ratings guide to see this):

"J.D. Power and Associates does not provide "expert opinion." The firm provides "voice-of-the-customer" research based on actual survey responses from real consumers. Please keep in mind that high ratings do not necessarily mean that every consumer will have a positive experience with a particular product or service provider. It simply indicates that, on average, the product/service/company stands out when compared with other, similar products/services/companies."

Therefore, if the survey went to a group of people who were really unhappy, this could drag the ratings down a lot. And, who knows how many people they surveyed, and what geographical range, etc., etc., etc.

Therefore, I would probably not rely on their rating as much as I would like to rely on the many years long standing reliability of Honda. Granted, that no vehicle is perfect, and my next Honda may not be totally defect free, but the probability of having a mechanical problem of a Honda is smaller than some other (other than Toyota) maker. The other fact about JD Power ratings is also very disturbing (I don't know if it just plain mistake or intentional), which is they show that according to NHTSA, Toyota Sienna have a five start rating for frontal impact (driver), which is totally wrong, because NHTSA gave Toyota Sienna a four start rating on this, not a five star. Secondly, the picture of 2005 Honda Odyssey in their website is not even a 2005 model, it is more like a 2004 or something. (you can follow their link to New Vehicle Advisor and click on different vans once you select compact vans). So, I have already found two errors on JD Power's reports and web-site and now getting suspicious about their reports reliability!

To answer to some previous posts:
    Dear jipster: I am not sure when this report was released for the 2005 Odyssey by JD Power, but you are correct that they did give 2004 a five star.
    Dear isellhondas: I am not confusing the crash test ratings with JD Power rating (unless JD power did).
    Dear minivanguy: I (and I am sure many others) have the same question as you do.

Here is one big ding to JD Power report (or rating, whatever you say), now that I am thinking more about it: they gave mechanical a four star, etc., and style a 2 star, right? Okay. But, if their research is totally based on "voice-of-the-customer" by actual survey responses from real consumers, then how can the style be rated only 2 star? Did all who responded to JD Power bought the vehicle who never liked the style to begin with? Would one buy something that looked a 2 star rating as far as style goes? I am really not believing their report!!!!
    Before my posting that Honda dealers have more Odyssey than DC have, these were the numbers:
    Wiley Honda had 8 Odysseys
    Ken Garff had 7 Odysseys :sick:
    ...BUT
    Ken Garff had 1 GC SE Plus
    Ken Garff had ZERO T&C.
    Doug Smith had ZERO T&C.
    Doug Smith had ZERO Caravan/Grand Caravan ;)
    ....( I did not check Larry H. Miller inventory for any brand and forgot all about Hinckley Dodge and Menlove Dodge since Menlove is usually known as Menlove Toyota :blush: )

Since there are 4 DC minivans sold for every Odyssey, the Odyssey inventory was much higher in the Salt Lake City area than that of DC minivans. ;)
  • I'm in Cda and while inventory is ok there are better color combos and some other advantages to buying a US vehicle and cost after conversion makes it even more compelling to look at buying in US. Question is does the warranty cover anywhere it is owned/driven or would I have to pay for warranty work in Cda and then get reimbursed by Honda USA. Thinking of the buyer who took his to Germany...any problems? others who bought on one side of border and then moved to the other - any prob lems with warranty coverage? thanks
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    I am not suprised by a initial quality 90 day study that rates this new design low. There are alot of nagging issues with this car that are getting sorted out. Wind noise from some trim and seals, brake noise, and a few nagging issues. Honda has shown me in the past they want to fix these issues(Father had transmission inspected and even though it had no problems replaced it because wear on second gear was too excessive at almost 60K).The mechanicial quaility was a 4 out of 5. Now if you want a car that scores well on these type tests buy a Toyota of there 11 offerings 6 score a 5 of 5 in overall initial quality. I think the long term quality once the bugs are out will be up there with the best look at the 1999 and 2000 odyssey initial and longterm! BTW JDPowers did a 3 year study on vehicle dependability guess who won the minivan segment. The Ford Windstar let's all go out and buy one of them!!LOL
    Interesting...I wish I had 100 sitting on my lot.

SLC...used to go there on business quite often. Market St. Fish Restaurant. Still there?
  • any luck with your gas mileage improving?

is your estimate based on the touring trip computer or are you calculating at fill-up?

that is a little concerning; i assume you drive in a lot of stop-n-go traffic?
  • I'm surprised the 05 with VCM doesn't seem to equal the mileage of the 99-2001 ody. I generally get 18 to 20 around town and just got back from a trip to San Antonio, Texas with 5 people and 250 pounds of luggage got 24 plus mpg for 1200 miles traveling around 75 mph. On the way back(two people and about 75 pounds of luggage from Amarillo to Denver went 488.7 miles and filled up with 18.27 gals. Very happy with this--had a tail wind. 26.7 mpg avg around 75 mph.

Anyone getting the advertised mpg with the VCM or close to it?
  • pcsrpcsr Posts: 10
    Ours stinks too! 16-17 city/highway (my wife visits her Mom a lot which is 30 miles round trip, so we get a pretty good mixture of city/highway) and have not gotten over 23 highway.

I am very, very angry at this. The 28 mpg highway was a key reason why I bought this dog. Very unhappy with our purchase for a variety of reasons - road noise, engine noise, repeated trips to the dealer, and really bad gas mileage among them. Thanks.