Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors discussions

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "actually one of the main reasons VW reliability is bashed is because of CR. PErhaps they arent as bad as CR claims. I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case."

1487, did you see VW's results as a brand on the JD Powers survey from cars surveyed from 2004 and how they are holding up now? VW as a brand is near the bottom of that survey so its just not just CR who thinks VW's have bad reliability its JD Powers too.
    "Or how my in-laws (also Toyota lovers) think it's funny that the headliner is falling down in their 7 yr old Avalon and the dome light falls and hits the driver in the head when they turn corners, yet they didn't want us to buy a Lincoln cause they are "not good". I told them my headliner and dome light are fine in my 11 year old Ranger, but they didn't see a connection with their Avalon."

I'm sure there are 7 year old Domestics that have the same headliner problem as yiur in-laws Avalon I mean all cars have problems.
    "I don't blame Toyota for this one either. Car over 100K, bought well used without more than a carfax and a new driver. Now we were unusually unlucky even at that but things happen. I'll live."

I was under the impression that Andre's uncle;s brought the Corolla new? No?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,066
    I was under the impression that Andre's uncle;s brought the Corolla new? No?

My uncle bought his Corolla new, back around Memorial Day 2002 (the '03's came out kinda early), but Fezo was talking about his daughter's Camry.

Oh, I also found out my uncle's Corolla's not as bad off as I thought. He told me he overheated it. It turns out what happened was the temp gauge spiked up higher than normal, but never did go into the red zone, and eventually stabilized right around the center of the gauge. So we think it might just be a stuck thermostat. We took it up this morning to the muffler shop that did the converter, and he said it acted normally. The guy at the muffler shop noticed the O2 sensor was loose, and he thought that might've triggered the SES light. But after about 10 minutes on the way home, it came on again, so back to the shop it went, and they'll give us an update on Monday.
    "Boy, my GM car never had any of these defects. None of them. EVER!!! GM never paid to replace any of my trannies-oh but that's right, unlike your HONDA, none of mine have ever FAILED!!!"

You know lets face it all cars have problems, has lemons I mean my Mom had a bad experience with a GM product but she did purchase 3 other GM products after her bad experience with a 1992 or 1993 model year GM car.

As far as Andres 3's experience with his Neon I mean the Neon of that time just did not have good quality/reliability. I mean it would have been good if Andres would have waited till the 2nd or 3rd year of bodystyle for that particular generation of Neon to allow Dodge to get the kinks worked out of the Neon but I don;t think the Neon of that time was good for the quality/reliability vehicle factor at all.

My mom had a similar experience that Andres did with her bad GM product(a 92 or 93 Grand Am) I mean the thing would go in the shop for A/C work like every summer. I don;t think the Grand Am of that time had good quality/reliability either. When it came trade time my liked the the 1999 Grand Am put passed on it(I say that was a good move) and got the 1999 Grand Prix instead.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Want Sunfire info? Not sure why, but here is some:
    link
    link 2
    Don't know if I would class it as stellar for reliability, but at a certain point, who cars? It is but another Cavalier. You can get a Monte Carlo used really cheap, and it may be more pleasurable a drive.

Alas, none of this has anything to do with GM's future offerings.... well let's hope it doesn't.
    Loren
    "it seems to me that in the past GM quality was substandard. Examples Include: Cadillac Catera, Corvette, geo prism, etc."

The Prizm didn;t have bad reliability I don;t think: The Prizm was made in the Freemont(California) Plant that Toyota and GM share together currently the Vibe/Matrix is being built in that plant I believe. I liked the early-mid 90's Prizms: they had a nice contemparary exterior look to them.

As for the Corvette having bad reliability I don;t think people care if the Vette has bad reliability because people buy the Vette for its prestige factor.

Yeah the Catera was not a good effort all the way around just not the reliability part of the equation alone.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    So a '08 G5 won't be a future offering? Many of GM's past models were and still are great cars. There's misinformation being spread about their reliability and how it is carried forward.

Checked your links and it seems pretty stellar to me. Model lasted 10 years and every problem but one was fixed by '99 models. They never found a drivetrain problem after 2000 and the '03 to '05 engine with 140 HP performed flawlessly. This agrees with all the 10's it got for reliability from owners on Edmunds.

The reason? To question truthfulness or knowledge of those putting the G5 down. Baselessness discovered so far.

I took a ride in a new Mazda 3 yesterday. It had Much More road noise then the G5 I recently test drove. I sat in the back seat of the Mazda 3 and was locked in place. With my heels against the back seat, half my shoe was hooked under the back of the front seat. I'm not kidding..HALF my shoe was hooked in. I had to take my hand and twist my foot and leg to climb out. Sitting, my knees had be be up along the two sides of the front seat back, with one wedged against the pillar. It was a 4 dr manual '07.
    I drove a near new one to Detroit and back the second year they were out with the 3.4L. It got 35 mpg on the 480 mi round trip, quiet and smooth. It got compliments at the rest stop. Don't know how they have been powered since around '02. When I was test driving Impalas a few months ago they were offering me a new '06 on their showroom for very close to $20k with the nascar decals, sunroof, the works.
    Well I have no idea about the '05 Sunfire. Earlier models had electrical, and brake issues, I think it was. If you looked at the review, it seems like the overall scoring is rather low. It simply does nothing particularity well. A boring little car. Now a Mazda3 on the other hand can be driven, and looks sharp inside and out. As for the G5, the predicted reliability can only be based on the Cobalt, which thus far is not so stellar. It is possible that it could be an average car. They need a NEW car to replace the Cobalt. The car needs to be better than the competition, or at the very least look stunning and be fairly competitive. I hear the terms spoken in relation to the old Cavalier that the new car is a step forward, much improved, or so much better, or a good interior. However you see it, the bottom line is you have Hyundai / Kia for low cost with a warranty, and Japan makes for reliability,performance, fuel mileage resale, and value, so if they so desire to butt heads with all the rest, the NEW Cobalt needs to be an all new car. It could be something with a much sexier look, or something with better gas mileage, and tons more room inside. It simply must stand out for some reason. Look, if decent reliability, sort of good fuel economy, safety and warranty is the issue, look at what the Sonata is today. Yes, once discounted it is competing with the Cavalier. Who knows how low priced the rest of the Hyundai line may be. A well optioned Cobalt could cost you more than a V6 discounted Sonata. Looks wise the Civic coupe is simply a modern looking sleek car vs. a pleasing sort of traditional, I have seen this before, Cobalt coupe look. Nice, but not new or really sexy.
    Loren
  • chetjchetj Posts: 324
    i used to shake my head at all the bad neon paint jobs i have seen from 90s models...the paint would just peel off...anyways, i think they were servicable cars w/ good powertrains in this decade
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    yes your right I have mixed up yours and andres3's posts. My mistake sorry :blush:
    but even they grugdingly acknowledge domestics have improved...the consumers union is all well and good, but it is pretty hard to buy anything w/o a job and there are many in this country including me whose jobs are tied to detroit doing well..i hope people at least buy a car that is assembled here, no matter what make...or has many american, north american parts in it...i went by a GM powertrain plant in tonawanda, NY and it felt good knowing i bought a car that had a 2.2 ecotec in it that was made there...isnt our trade defict big enough?
    Well I have no idea about the '05 Sunfire

without my own data you are wrong

Earlier models had electrical, and brake issues

earlier as in ten years earlier. so relevant

the overall scoring is rather low

that's the mininformation shining through

Now a Mazda3 on the other hand can be driven

just don't try to use the back seat and get ready for lots of road noise

Cobalt, which thus far is not so stellar.

what are it's problems?
    "Look, if decent reliability, sort of good fuel economy, safety and warranty is the issue, look at what the Sonata is today. Yes, once discounted it is competing with the Cavalier."

What was once competing with the Cavilier its not even around anymore(the Cavilier.) I think you meant in that particular sentence to say the Sonata with all the discounts factored in it competes in the Cobalt's(not Caviliers) price range currently.
    in a 3 year study of 2004 cars buick was #1 followed by lexus, cadillac, mercury and honda...i just read the article in the NY times today
    Yes, and all of the those cars are no longer in production. There is the problem. Comparing a basic form of transportation, which had a couple of decades to get the bugs out of, and is easier to produce, to a modern high tech car. You know if Lexus made the same car for a couple of decades, I bet ya every bug would be found. This is apples and oranges anyway. A Buick Century or LeSabre and a Lexus? The good part is that the old Buicks are reliable, and good transportation, if you are in the market for a used automobile.
    Loren
    Sunfire electrical problems & brake problems: 1997 - 2003
    Cooling & air conditioning problems 1997 - 2000
    Body integrity issues 1997-2003
    Power equip. problems 1997 - 2000

As for road tests of Sunfire, what makes you think they are picking on this car? They test drive them all. Consumer Guide does a pretty good job. Did MSN Auto, or anyone else state something like, " wow, an awesome ride? " Look it is just an economical car, with some better looks than others it is related to. I owned a couple. Had a Starfire (must be related, as the Sun is a star) and the Achieva, which was the higher dress of Cavalier. They ran, had some strange quirks, but I am still around and still smiling, so it didn't kill me to drive them.

Cobalt: Black Dot car 2005 per CR.
    2007 overall quality mechanical rating JD Power = three dots, which is average.
    Overall performance and design = two dots, which is the rest, or a polite speak for not so hot.

Loren
    Dang, you are so right. I meant to say the Cobalt. For some reason, Cavalier and Cobalt seem synonymous - thus a problem.

Loren
    Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta won for the seventh time in GT1 in their No. 4 Corvette Racing Corvette C6.R.
    Good news from Generac 500 at Road America. Now that's An American Revolution!

:shades: Loren
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    isnt our trade defict big enough?

WAAAAY too big!!!!
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Loren,

What's in a name??
    The Lacrosse sits on the same platform that the Century did, and the Lucerne sits on the same platform the LeSabre did.
    Are current Lexus models on the same platform as their '04 prdecessors, or are they completely new models, with the same name.

If the Rendezvous were tops in it's class for '04 and we were wondering about the Enclave, thats's a different story.
    Oh dear me, you are so right, those are antiques. I thought both of those were on new platforms by now. And I thought the Lucerne and DTS shared the same platform. Oh well, guess they should be 100% trouble free if both are that old. That dates back to my days with the 98Regency.
    And the engines are the same. Well if keep it simple wins, they have won. And there is nothing wrong in trying to keep life simple, in most cases. Sometimes new though is a bit more exciting.
    Loren
    The black dot from CR is a given. I bounce from one black dot to another in my life without Japan cars. Only the GM cars/trucks with MSRP over $30k that I bought, are even average by CR (Riv and Silv). Everything under $30k was a black dot. Those terrible black dots each run me $150-200 a year in maint and repair, combined, so I don't worry too much about them.

I spend $150-175 a week for gas and was seeing the G5 as a way to knock $20-30 off that.

So GM's lowest priced, cheapest and smallest car is average overall. Is Malibu average too? Is Impala average too? Is everything I can afford from Chevy average?

I figured you would dismiss the news from JD Power.
    Yes average. Except Impala is rated better for reliability. They have cleared up some problems as of '05 on being very reliable. As a car, it is average, if you consider a car as more than point A to point B travel, while not falling asleep in the process. :blush: It is all in what ya want. But since you asked me, is it average, I'd say yes - yes it is. Now very reliable, well yes - yes it is. At least it appears to be. Takes a three to five years usually to be 100% sure.

Yes, JD Powers rates the Cobalt average.

Why would the G5 be different. And why would it possibly matter in your case as you don't believe any surveys. If a car is right for the buyer, it is after all the buyers cash, so what is the difference. If going by the numbers, as in surveys and reliability data, it is a different story. Just don't shoot the messenger! :surprise: I don't make the cars, and I don't sell the cars. I do drive a car. All the magazines do the same, and they drive the car and report.

Loren
    Hey, just thought of something. They could have named the Buick LaCrosse the Century 21, as in 21st century, but I guess the name was taken, many a year ago -- darn it! And if the Lucerne is the same platform as the LeSabre, gosh if the old name wasn't more than good enough. LeSabre is pretty classy, as car names go.
    Loren
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    :mad: I never got an Intrepid after my Neon experience. I'd have to be psycho to ever buy a Dodge again. In fact, the experience was so bad that I swore off ALL american branded cars for life! :cry:

I never had any good luck with any american cars, not even rentals.

The Honda trasmission started to fail but they didn't treat it as "business as usual," and stepped up to cover it after the warranty had already expired. Also, other then the tranny, the car mechanicals were flawless. It's easier to forgive one major problem when there aren't 100 other minor and major problems you've already had to deal with.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Yes, but you conveniently leave out the fact that your probably drove your GM truck all of 2,000 miles in 25 months? How many miles did you drive it? You kept it half as long as I kept my Honda, why? It took you 6 months to get your price (to find a pyscho) willing to buy it. It only took me 2 months to sell my coupe. Most people are not willing to put up with the inconvenience of trying to sell a car for more than a month, let alone 2 or 6! I know at the time I sold mine I nearly took it off the market for good and bought it from myself to myself.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    andres3 is the "Mirror Mirror" version of andre1969 to all you Trekkies out there.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    The headliner is falling down...in a Toyota? After only seven years, I'd be furious. Geeze, the headliner has yet to fall in either my 1988 Buick Park Avenue or 1989 Cadillac Brougham.
This discussion has been closed.