Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors discussions

Comments

• chetjchetj Posts: 324
    i used to shake my head at all the bad neon paint jobs i have seen from 90s models...the paint would just peel off...anyways, i think they were servicable cars w/ good powertrains in this decade
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    yes your right I have mixed up yours and andres3's posts. My mistake sorry :blush:
    but even they grugdingly acknowledge domestics have improved...the consumers union is all well and good, but it is pretty hard to buy anything w/o a job and there are many in this country including me whose jobs are tied to detroit doing well..i hope people at least buy a car that is assembled here, no matter what make...or has many american, north american parts in it...i went by a GM powertrain plant in tonawanda, NY and it felt good knowing i bought a car that had a 2.2 ecotec in it that was made there...isnt our trade defict big enough?
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,479
    Well I have no idea about the '05 Sunfire

without my own data you are wrong

Earlier models had electrical, and brake issues

earlier as in ten years earlier. so relevant

the overall scoring is rather low

that's the mininformation shining through

Now a Mazda3 on the other hand can be driven

just don't try to use the back seat and get ready for lots of road noise

Cobalt, which thus far is not so stellar.

what are it's problems?
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "Look, if decent reliability, sort of good fuel economy, safety and warranty is the issue, look at what the Sonata is today. Yes, once discounted it is competing with the Cavalier."

What was once competing with the Cavilier its not even around anymore(the Cavilier.) I think you meant in that particular sentence to say the Sonata with all the discounts factored in it competes in the Cobalt's(not Caviliers) price range currently.
    in a 3 year study of 2004 cars buick was #1 followed by lexus, cadillac, mercury and honda...i just read the article in the NY times today
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Yes, and all of the those cars are no longer in production. There is the problem. Comparing a basic form of transportation, which had a couple of decades to get the bugs out of, and is easier to produce, to a modern high tech car. You know if Lexus made the same car for a couple of decades, I bet ya every bug would be found. This is apples and oranges anyway. A Buick Century or LeSabre and a Lexus? The good part is that the old Buicks are reliable, and good transportation, if you are in the market for a used automobile.
    Loren
    Sunfire electrical problems & brake problems: 1997 - 2003
    Cooling & air conditioning problems 1997 - 2000
    Body integrity issues 1997-2003
    Power equip. problems 1997 - 2000

As for road tests of Sunfire, what makes you think they are picking on this car? They test drive them all. Consumer Guide does a pretty good job. Did MSN Auto, or anyone else state something like, " wow, an awesome ride? " Look it is just an economical car, with some better looks than others it is related to. I owned a couple. Had a Starfire (must be related, as the Sun is a star) and the Achieva, which was the higher dress of Cavalier. They ran, had some strange quirks, but I am still around and still smiling, so it didn't kill me to drive them.

Cobalt: Black Dot car 2005 per CR.
    2007 overall quality mechanical rating JD Power = three dots, which is average.
    Overall performance and design = two dots, which is the rest, or a polite speak for not so hot.

Loren
    Dang, you are so right. I meant to say the Cobalt. For some reason, Cavalier and Cobalt seem synonymous - thus a problem.

Loren
    Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta won for the seventh time in GT1 in their No. 4 Corvette Racing Corvette C6.R.
    Good news from Generac 500 at Road America. Now that's An American Revolution!

:shades: Loren
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    isnt our trade defict big enough?

WAAAAY too big!!!!
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    Loren,

What's in a name??
    The Lacrosse sits on the same platform that the Century did, and the Lucerne sits on the same platform the LeSabre did.
    Are current Lexus models on the same platform as their '04 prdecessors, or are they completely new models, with the same name.

If the Rendezvous were tops in it's class for '04 and we were wondering about the Enclave, thats's a different story.
    Oh dear me, you are so right, those are antiques. I thought both of those were on new platforms by now. And I thought the Lucerne and DTS shared the same platform. Oh well, guess they should be 100% trouble free if both are that old. That dates back to my days with the 98Regency.
    And the engines are the same. Well if keep it simple wins, they have won. And there is nothing wrong in trying to keep life simple, in most cases. Sometimes new though is a bit more exciting.
    Loren
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,479
    The black dot from CR is a given. I bounce from one black dot to another in my life without Japan cars. Only the GM cars/trucks with MSRP over $30k that I bought, are even average by CR (Riv and Silv). Everything under $30k was a black dot. Those terrible black dots each run me $150-200 a year in maint and repair, combined, so I don't worry too much about them.

I spend $150-175 a week for gas and was seeing the G5 as a way to knock $20-30 off that.

So GM's lowest priced, cheapest and smallest car is average overall. Is Malibu average too? Is Impala average too? Is everything I can afford from Chevy average?

I figured you would dismiss the news from JD Power.
    Yes average. Except Impala is rated better for reliability. They have cleared up some problems as of '05 on being very reliable. As a car, it is average, if you consider a car as more than point A to point B travel, while not falling asleep in the process. :blush: It is all in what ya want. But since you asked me, is it average, I'd say yes - yes it is. Now very reliable, well yes - yes it is. At least it appears to be. Takes a three to five years usually to be 100% sure.

Yes, JD Powers rates the Cobalt average.

Why would the G5 be different. And why would it possibly matter in your case as you don't believe any surveys. If a car is right for the buyer, it is after all the buyers cash, so what is the difference. If going by the numbers, as in surveys and reliability data, it is a different story. Just don't shoot the messenger! :surprise: I don't make the cars, and I don't sell the cars. I do drive a car. All the magazines do the same, and they drive the car and report.

Loren
    Hey, just thought of something. They could have named the Buick LaCrosse the Century 21, as in 21st century, but I guess the name was taken, many a year ago -- darn it! And if the Lucerne is the same platform as the LeSabre, gosh if the old name wasn't more than good enough. LeSabre is pretty classy, as car names go.
    Loren
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,282
    :mad: I never got an Intrepid after my Neon experience. I'd have to be psycho to ever buy a Dodge again. In fact, the experience was so bad that I swore off ALL american branded cars for life! :cry:

I never had any good luck with any american cars, not even rentals.

The Honda trasmission started to fail but they didn't treat it as "business as usual," and stepped up to cover it after the warranty had already expired. Also, other then the tranny, the car mechanicals were flawless. It's easier to forgive one major problem when there aren't 100 other minor and major problems you've already had to deal with.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,282
    Yes, but you conveniently leave out the fact that your probably drove your GM truck all of 2,000 miles in 25 months? How many miles did you drive it? You kept it half as long as I kept my Honda, why? It took you 6 months to get your price (to find a pyscho) willing to buy it. It only took me 2 months to sell my coupe. Most people are not willing to put up with the inconvenience of trying to sell a car for more than a month, let alone 2 or 6! I know at the time I sold mine I nearly took it off the market for good and bought it from myself to myself.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    andres3 is the "Mirror Mirror" version of andre1969 to all you Trekkies out there.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    The headliner is falling down...in a Toyota? After only seven years, I'd be furious. Geeze, the headliner has yet to fall in either my 1988 Buick Park Avenue or 1989 Cadillac Brougham.
This discussion has been closed.