Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

Did Ford make a unit bodied truck in the 1960s? I seem to recall seeing a Ford pickup with no separation between the cab and the bed.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

@lemko said:
    Did Ford make a unit bodied truck in the 1960s? I seem to recall seeing a Ford pickup with no separation between the cab and the bed.

Yes, from 1961 to 1963. More here:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/looking-back-1961-1963-ford-f100-unibody-pickups.html

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711

Kind of a halfway unibody, those Ford trucks still had a frame...

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,112
    edited February 2014

Those unibody Ford trucks are probably my favorite Ford trucks at all. I know the cab styling stayed similar through '66, but I liked how the rear wheel openings on the unibody pickups mimicked the front wheel openings. When people started complaining that they weren't holding up, Ford offered their wide bed from the '57-60 trucks, which, although unlike Studebaker's wide bed at the time which was wider than the cab but IMO matched the styling of the cab, not a single thing (except width) on the '57-60 Ford bed matched the styling of the '61 cab! ;)

Of course, back then, it was the only the very slightest beginning of people wanting a pickup with more styling and creature comforts than your basic '50's pickup.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174

I like those 61s with the rear bubble window, big piece of 60-61 full sized car styling there.

• Options
    edited February 2014

I forgot about that feature, fintail--I like that also.

In my mind, in general, '61 seemed like a "Jetsons" year for styling. Some late '50's excess, but toned down. I very-much-like '61 Chevys, Pontiacs, and Fords...and also Olds 88 two-door hardtops. Almost like customs you'd see in "Hot Rod" magazine a couple years earlier.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690

@lemko said:

Yeah, it was "unit-bodied" in the sense that the cab and bed were combined. But, like Texases said, it still had a frame underneath.

I think those little Jeep Commanche pickups in the 1980's were sort of a semi unit-body. The Cherokees upon which they were based were unitized, but to make the pickup, I think they create a short spacer frame, that connected the cab with the bed.

• Options

Rarest of the rare low grille V8 coupes Big money for a closed car, but they don't come around often.

• Options

I agree about the 61s - they cleaned up, and became kind of "jet age" - like the turbine style tail lights on a full sized 61 Ford, along with the toned down bric a brac and sharper angles. I once thought 1961 was a really awkward "in between" year, and it pretty much is - but the more I look, the designs might be a short lived theme rather than a random mix. Maybe on the other end of the bell curve from 1955-56 when 50s flamboyance was just breaking out, 61 was the last gasp.

@uplanderguy said:
    I forgot about that feature, fintail--I like that also.

In my mind, in general, '61 seemed like a "Jetsons" year for styling. Some late '50's excess, but toned down. I very-much-like '61 Chevys, Pontiacs, and Fords...and also Olds 88 two-door hardtops. Almost like customs you'd see in "Hot Rod" magazine a couple years earlier.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

@fintail said:
    Rarest of the rare low grille V8 coupes Big money for a closed car, but they don't come around often.

that's (in theory) still cheap for a nice 3.5 low grille coupe but this is a Euro car with a stick shift and no AC and a color change, which is 4 strikes against it. So I'd have a hard time pricing the car accurately.

As a wild guess I'll predict the bidding will stop at $55K and a grievous overbid would be $65K. For my money, the bid right now at $42K is about market correct, give or take.

the seller is comparing this car to a documented, low miles US spec car with automatic and AC, all original, and that is simply not a "comparable".

• Options

I thought a 4 speed V8 car would be more desirable, probably under 100 units made. Not much difference between a Euro car and a US model then - US would have side markers, primitive emissions, different signal stalk and front turn signals - might not be a negative. Color change hurts (as the original color would be nicer IMO).

Seems not long ago when a very nice low grille coupe was a 25K car all day long.

The 4 speed thing reminds me of something - there's kind of a legend out there that a few final run W112 fintails were fitted with a ZF 5-speed. I've never seen any evidence of one, but I've read about it. That would be a fintail holy grail.

• Options

Nah, 4-speed is a deal killer in a luxury coupe like that one. Think of it as the reverse affect that an automatic transmission has on an E-Type Jaguar coupe.

• Options

It doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other on earlier 220SE coupes of the same design. Although to be fair, MB manuals don't seem to get rave reviews, and that car is about of the size where fun isn't the point.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited February 2014

It's somewhat warm the last couple of days(50's), so I decided to see if the mustang has any juice. The battery is a year or two old, but one of my kids killed it once already, by leaving the lights on over night.
    When I opened the door the courtesy lights lit up, so there's chance it will start in the spring.

I have the car under a breathable cover. Every spring when I remove it, there is dirt on the car, but last fall I put a sheet on the hood before covering it up. Everything was nice and clean when I took the cover off this time.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

You should invest in a battery tender. They aren't super expensive, and probably make the battery last longer.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

@tjc78 said:
    You should invest in a battery tender. They aren't super expensive, and probably make the battery last longer.

If the battery hadn't been killed once, I wouldn't be worried. My last battery was a 100 month and I replaced it after 8 years, but I might buy a battery tender anyway.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711

Slow, stinky, noisy, and polluting...what's not to like?

I guess I just don't 'get' old MB oilburners...

• Options
    edited February 2014

Me neither, and I've owned a few. Noisy as the hammers of Hell. The first checkbook-shattering bill from Hans and Dieter will take the wind of the "oh, they run forever" fantasy. As least the turbo models can get out of their own way. For 6K you could buy a lovely E320 that'll be faster, more economical and more reliable. You want a diesel real bad? Buy a VW TDI.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Me neither, and I've owned a few. Noisy as the hammers of Hell. The first checkbook-shattering bill from Hans and Dieter will take the wind of the "oh, they run forever" fantasy. As least the turbo models can get out of their own way. For 6K you could buy a lovely E320 that'll be faster, more economical and more reliable. You want a diesel real bad? Buy a VW TDI.

Back in the mid 80's, my folks bought a used '72 220D. No idea how many miles it had on it at the time, but I do know the engine had to be rebuilt not long after they got it. My mom hated the car - even though they lived in SoCal, the glow plugs needed 30-60 seconds before you could start the car.

They sold it and bought a used Celica.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

That Mercedes 280SE 3.5 stickshift Euro coupe is now at my predicted high bid of $55K, with one day left. If I hit within 10%, I'd feel I was accurate enough.

The low miles pristine 500 SEC was relisted--the seller REJECTED a bid of $25,000 !!! His relisting after two days now has a bit of $2,000. So it goes. Never turn down a suitcase full of real money for an old car. Frankly, I was surprised it hit $25K, but I have to keep remembering that $25K is what some people now spend on handbags.

• Options

25K on that SEC is crazy in this market - approaching European money for it. Seller was dumb not to take the money and run. I am surprised at the 280SE bidding too, but maybe I am stuck in the days when closed cars hit 30K or so on a good day.

For the diesels - weird obsessive cult cars. I am not sure who is after them now that the homebrew conversions seem to be less popular - more of a fad 5-10 years ago it seems. A non-turbo will be annoying in modern suburban traffic, and for a 35+ year old car, maybe best as a sunny Sunday driver.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Frankly, I was surprised it hit $25K, but I have to keep remembering that $25K is what some people now spend on handbags.

God, I hope not! Both my wife and my step-daughter have an obsession with Vera Bradley - that's expensive enough!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

I used to joke about a cup of coffee costing $5 someday---and then I walked into Starbuck's!

• Options

Heck, I caught an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies this morning where someone made a comment about how the mere millionaires often feel out of place when surrounded by the truly wealthy. I guess even in 1962, a million bucks (or $25M in Jed Clampett's case) wasn't what it used to be!

• Options

$1 million would buy you a so-so studio apartment in New York City.

• Options

The official purchasing power ratio from 1962-2012 is just under 8x, but a million dollars then is worth a lot more than 8 million now.

• Options

@MrShift@Edmunds said:

Yeah, but it will buy you about 25 blocks in Detroit!

• Options

@fintail said:
    The official purchasing power ratio from 1962-2012 is just under 8x, but a million dollars then is worth a lot more than 8 million now.

That means Jed would still have a respectable $200 million today. he'd definitely would be a playa in Philly!

• Options

@andre1969 said:
    Heck, I caught an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies this morning where someone made a comment about how the mere millionaires often feel out of place when surrounded by the truly wealthy. I guess even in 1962, a million bucks (or $25M in Jed Clampett's case) wasn't what it used to be!

What was Mr. Drysdale's net worth? I guess hid did well enough to buy an Imperial and still pay Miss Hathaway a decent salary for her to afford a Dodge Coronet convertible.

• Options

If one goes by real estate appreciation anywhere decent in the LA metro area, 25M then is probably like 500M now.

@lemko said:

• Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,286

Vera Bradley? Be glad it's not Coach

• Options

@MrShift@Edmunds said:

A pretty nice studio actually. Maybe even a little one bedroom

• Options

yeah, a studio in a building with a doorman even!

• Options

So, my wife is liking the Suburu Outback. I'm thinking a 2.5 on CPO. Thoughts and caveats?

• Options

CPO is a very wishy-washy term these days. I personally would not pay a premium price for it, nor would I presume that a CPO stamp makes it any better a car. I treat it more like a marketing term than anything real. Just because the dealer "inspects 200 items" that doesn't mean he fixes any of them.

• Options

CPO has value if it includes warranty. MB has some amazing CPO deals now and then - unlimited mileage warranties for a few extra years, along with servicing - worth the price.

• Options

@lemko said:
    What was Mr. Drysdale's net worth? I guess hid did well enough to buy an Imperial and still pay Miss Hathaway a decent salary for her to afford a Dodge Coronet convertible.

Well, Mr. Drysdale's annoying stepson "Sonny", who had been in college for 17 years, was sporting around in this in this morning's episode...

Dunno what Mr. Drysdale's net worth was, but he was always worried about the Clampetts pulling their money out, as they were his bank's biggest depositor. As the series went on, I think his net worth grew to around $90M or so.

Drysdale usually had an Imperial, and it was usually a nice one like a LeBaron. But he wasn't so loose with his money that he was being chauffeured around in a brand-new Ghia limo every season. I vaguely remember a '62 New Yorker 4-door hardtop showing up a few times early on, but I think that one belonged to Mr. Brewster, who was handling business back at the old Clampett homestead.

• Options
    edited February 2014

I remember Mr. Drysdale driving Imperials, and I remember LeBarons, which I had never seen before. Every Imperial in our town was a Crown (or so it seemed). I have no memory of his step-son. It's funny they would've implied that Mrs. Drysdale was married before. She was so darn stuffy. ;)

• Options

According to the IMDB, "Sonny" was only in four episodes, with three of them being in 1962. So either he didn't test out well, or the actor had other obligations. His name was Louis Nye, and apparently he was somebody, because the audience clapped and cheered a bit when he first came on-screen. Which surprised me, because I always thought the Beverly Hillbillies used a laugh track.

• Options

I remember Louis Nye--he was a stand-up comic who used to do shows like Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas when I was a kid.

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818

@gsemike said:
    So, my wife is liking the Suburu Outback. I'm thinking a 2.5 on CPO. Thoughts and caveats?

Don't do it.
    Buy it new. Subarus are insane, esp at the dealer.
    $450 dealer cash, says Edmund's... check TMV.
    -Mathias

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472

@andre1969 said:
    His name was Louis Nye, and apparently he was somebody, because the audience clapped and cheered a bit when he first came on-screen. Which surprised me, because I always thought the Beverly Hillbillies used a laugh track.

Oh indeed he was somebody. He was a major player in Steve Allen's show in the '50s and picked up quite a following. He also played guest roles in several sitcoms afterward. Quite a popular fellow. As a coincidence, IIRC the last name of his character on the Steve Allen show was Hathaway.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options

Nice tires on that 190SL, reminds me of my car. I've always thought of the 190SL as a somewhat feminine little thing, but it seems many thought of it as sportier back in the day, maybe because it kind of resembles a 300SL.

Amusing how you remember all of the BH cars, too. I remember the Imperial and Jane Hathaway's car, and the jalopy of course, but no others.

@andre1969 said:

• Options
    edited March 2014

@fintail said:
    CPO has value if it includes warranty. MB has some amazing CPO deals now and then - unlimited mileage warranties for a few extra years, along with servicing - worth the price.

The warranty is my concern. They extend to 7 year/100k so if I guy one that's 3 year 40k, that's pretty good coverage. But I agree with shiftright as well. When I last shopped for my wife's Toyota Sienna, I was underwhelmed by some of the CPO offerings. I looked at one with scraped wheel covers, missing floor mats, previously registered in the Bronx, massive scratch on the sliding door that was just touched up and had an accident on record. I told the guy that I liked the Sienna but that this is just not what you expect for CPO. Freaking tool at the dealership didn't even try to find my another one in the same range.

• Options

And this "extended warranty" is usually NOT a full warranty as was the first factory warranty. Read the fine print, always read the fine print.

• Options

I only know the MB program, but I know it is top notch. It also offers special financing, I think something like 1.75% for up to 72 months. If I was buying late model used, I'd go that route - servicing and the few little things that probably will go wrong with the car will more than make up for the program cost.

• Options

Well okay, as long as I don't get $400 oil changes hung on me.

• Options

I see ads for vehicles that a 'Dealer' CPO. This is different than 'Manufacturer' CPO.

• Options

That's a thing with the MB program and probably others - it covers servicing for 2 years or the life of the warranty, I forget which. If someone voluntarily pays $400 for an oil change, they need to get educated ;)