Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

so, speaking of my pet peeve, every A3 at the Audi dealer seemed to have the $600 18" wheel package (which I admit looked nice, and my son liked). part of this is 225/40 tires, so very little sidewall. So I went off a bit on my "get off my lawn" rant about it.

that led to a nice discussion with the saleguy about the absolute need for the wheel/tire protection package, because with our bombed out roads, you will need it. Close to guaranteed.

while we were waiting in the showroom when we arrived, I overheard the manager talking to 2 guys, obviously about tires. later the salesguy told me that the customer had bought an S5, did not pay for the protection package, and 4 months later was back with a busted rim (and this guy lived in Philly, where the roads are really bad). so the damage was on his dime (or probably closer to 7,000 dimes), and the manager was clearly telling the guy "not my problem and we aren't paying".

the other thing that that I found silly was the way they option. There was an S3 on the floor, with base sport seats, which were fantastic. Looking in the brochure, those seats were also the optional seats for the A3. But per the salesguy, you will never see them on in in stock car (or very rarely). Yet they all get skinny tires, which really are primarily style.

Oh, the brown interior? smashing! probably also rare.

anyway, pretty sure that were I to get one of these (and after riding in it, I think we would fit fine up front, and I even fit OK in the back seat), I would need to custom order to get 17" wheels and sport seats, and the right color combo. I assume that is doable on an Audi. Maybe even need to pick it up in Germany! or wherever these are assembled.

Speaking of big wheels and thin-walled sidewall tires, the TTS comes with OEM 245/35R19's, but 100% are ordered with the 255/30R20 forged wheel package upgrade. I'm thinking of running 19's for performance use even though the 20's are light for their size. At the same time as reducing unsprung weight for performance reasons, I can also add sidewall which will make the car ride a tad bit better.

Thinking either 255/35R19's (this would be my FAT BIG sidewall option; I know someone called this size rubber band), or 245/35R19 (like base OEM stock size) to further save weight on the tire itself. I don't like the idea of losing section width, but I also don't need the car to ride any higher up.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    We need to rename this thread - it should be changed to, "Andres3's Personal Blog!"  I don't think anyone has ever posted 7 consecutive posts in under 1-1/2 hours.  Well done andres!  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

We need to rename this thread - it should be changed to, "Andres3's Personal Blog!"  I don't think anyone has ever posted 7 consecutive posts in under 1-1/2 hours.  Well done andres!  :o

Haha! I had a lot of "catching up" to do. Made up for lost time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    1 More to Share:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/motorcyclist-records-road-rage-encounter-164017912.html

To me, this is the more typical traffic cop than the ones that let you all off with only warnings. He committed at least 4 illegal acts in this video.

Thank goodness everyone now has a video camera as standard equipment on their telephone.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    andres3 said:

So question to all the members here, does my TTS qualify as a hot hatch punch? It has a hatch opening in the back, but when I think HOT HATCH (which I love) I think of Golf R, GTI, WRX/STI, to me, the TTS is a 2-door sport coupe first, but I have noticed the use of the slanted rear hatch in Audi's design.

I think it is more often categorized as a "sportback" coupe. Too slanted for a traditionally defined "hatch" design, IMO.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

driver....interesting story. In this case, I'm having a hard time understanding how the "criminal" didn't see the badge, nor the sign? But, if you're going to roll with the "I thought he was homeless" defense, best of luck to him.

Tell me what do you think when you see someone on the side of the road holding a cardboard sign?
    I see what you and Driver are saying. Perhaps it is entrapment. I can't rectify why the sign holding cop is there to begin with. But, did the cop actually show the driver his badge? Further, why did the driver "thrown money" out the window? Why not hand the money to the sign holder?

Probably won't hold water in a court of law. But, seems like there are a lot of questions I would ask before rendering a judgement (if I were a judge or jury).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Dropped off the wife's Accord off at her Aunt's house a few hours ago. Feel sorry for her. She does not want to be in the middle of this in any way, shape or form.

She asked me what she should do if she doesn't drive it. I told her to put a trickle charger on the battery and/or drive (or find someone to drive it) every couple of weeks, take it on the highway for 5 or so miles every month.

My guess? She won't do anything to it but let it sit.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,618
    why can't she sell it? paperwork hostage? How long before it can be sold?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,338

driver....interesting story. In this case, I'm having a hard time understanding how the "criminal" didn't see the badge, nor the sign? But, if you're going to roll with the "I thought he was homeless" defense, best of luck to him.

Tell me what do you think when you see someone on the side of the road holding a cardboard sign?
    I see what you and Driver are saying. Perhaps it is entrapment. I can't rectify why the sign holding cop is there to begin with. But, did the cop actually show the driver his badge? Further, why did the driver "thrown money" out the window? Why not hand the money to the sign holder?

Probably won't hold water in a court of law. But, seems like there are a lot of questions I would ask before rendering a judgement (if I were a judge or jury).
    Nope it wouldn't be entrapment. Now according to the story the cop did have his badge out in view where a reasonable person would likely see it. As for the money it may have simply dropped.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,119
    I don't understand why the cop was there in the first place dressed like a homeless person and holding a sign like a homeless person. Stakeout?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think they were really looking for people driving while talking on their cell phones.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,993
    andres3 said:

sda said:

She is all upset. A truck had thrown a rock and hit the Pilot's windshield dead center, and crack! Looks like I will be making a call to USAA!

Was the rock from the road or was it something from the load on the truck? In Ohio the trucks that carry materials for construction work like to put a sign on the back saying they're not responsible for rocks thrown from the road. But what they are trying to do is fake out people who having car/windshield damage from rocks dropped from the truck.

I had noticed that in Columbus around The Ohio State campus dump trucks would stop before getting on the freeway and brush rocks from the bed's ledges and the frame parts under the truck. Apparently the police were very active about the trucks that dribble rocks and damage cars.

IF I ever go postal, it'll be at an auto insurance company headquarters.
    Is that before or after CVS and Chrysler?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    abacomike said:

But they have to be actually read to qualify. ;)

• Options
    ab348 said:

I don't understand why the cop was there in the first place dressed like a homeless person and holding a sign like a homeless person. Stakeout?

Good question! I think they were watching for people who weren't using their seat belts, and would probably nab people on their cell phones...a good way to catch both.

I think the guy dropped the money probably not wanting to make contact with the homeless guy....just so there wouldn't be a problem.

There is so much protesting I doubt if the ticket will go through.

• Options
    stever said:

I think they were really looking for people driving while talking on their cell phones.

Yes, and/or seat belts.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,717

Dropped off the wife's Accord off at her Aunt's house a few hours ago. Feel sorry for her. She does not want to be in the middle of this in any way, shape or form.

She asked me what she should do if she doesn't drive it. I told her to put a trickle charger on the battery and/or drive (or find someone to drive it) every couple of weeks, take it on the highway for 5 or so miles every month.

Don't feel sorry. Unless the aunt can contribute to an explaination of your wife's strange behavior you're better off cutting all ties with that family.

Besides to sell an Accord all she has to do is put a sign on it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Don't feel sorry. Unless the aunt can contribute to an explaination of your wife's strange behavior you're better off cutting all ties with that family.

You're making me feel better, OF.

And, I agree with you!
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Dropped off the wife's Accord off at her Aunt's house a few hours ago. Feel sorry for her. She does not want to be in the middle of this in any way, shape or form. She asked me what she should do if she doesn't drive it. I told her to put a trickle charger on the battery and/or drive (or find someone to drive it) every couple of weeks, take it on the highway for 5 or so miles every month. My guess? She won't do anything to it but let it sit.
    Don't feel sorry. Unless the aunt can contribute to an explaination of your wife's strange behavior you're better off cutting all ties with that family. Besides to sell an Accord all she has to do is put a sign on it.
    You're making me feel better, OF. And, I agree with you!
    Forgive me for bringing this up, but I am at a loss as to why no one has provided you with any reasonable explanation as to why your estranged wife went to China and refuses to return to her husband.  It is such an awkward situation.  It's a form of abandonment.  I am so sorry for your predicament, GG.  You have no reason to feel sorry for dropping her car off at her aunt's house.  Her family also has to assume some responsibility for her actions.

Quite frankly, I'd be so PO'd if this happened to me that that Honda would be at the bottom of a Florida canal by now!  :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,939

Just another day for a bike ride in Colorado.

I imagine the same car has skis on it in the winter.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Don't you have to sign over the ownership etc., which can probably only be done by the owner.

The aunt sounds like a nice lady who would rather not get involved, but, I think you have to leave the car with her. I think she will have to store it, could get into trouble selling someone else's car unless a) she has all the paperwork, and 2) written permission to sell it.

GG, about your wife staying in China. Never blame yourself or question yourself. I think we choose people to be with, but, often we really don't know what we are getting. If it works out for a long time it is great, but, we have to consider we are very fortunate. You don't really know someone until you live with them or go into business with them.

• Options
    House prices are still rising rapidly in Canada. This house in Vancouver is listed at just under $4 million!!!!!!

It is 2 bdrm/2bthrm. The average price of a home in Canada is now $508,000. I am wondering if prices will take off again in the US.

• Options
    that is actually 3.8 for an empty lot, plus the cost to tear that place down.

Must be in one heck of a prime location!

Prices in some areas of the US have risen in most areas, but much more isolated to have big spikes.

• Options
    driver100 said:

House prices are still rising rapidly in Canada. This house in Vancouver is listed at just under $4 million!!!!!!

It is 2 bdrm/2bthrm. The average price of a home in Canada is now $508,000. I am wondering if prices will take off again in the US.

Lots of people believe that the bubble in places like Vancouver and Toronto is about to burst.

Take the money and run.

• Options
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Lots of people believe that the bubble in places like Vancouver and Toronto is about to burst.

Take the money and run.

They have been saying the bubble will burst for about 5 years now, but, prices continue to rise, by about 10% per year. Nothing goes up forever, but, usually when it looks like it can't drop......it does drop.

At our Tampa home there are 76 units, one year ago there were 7 for sale, this year only one has been put on the market and it sold immediately. Could the housing market in the US be ready to rise?

• Options
    stickguy said:

that is actually 3.8 for an empty lot, plus the cost to tear that place down.

Must be in one heck of a prime location!

Prices in some areas of the US have risen in most areas, but much more isolated to have big spikes.

It is in a prime location....but still, prices have gone threw the roof in Vancouver. Unaffordable for average people....and now Victoria BC is going the same. Lots of overseas money coming in too, as the world becomes less stable.

• Options
    Mike, Driver...thanks for the kind words of encouragment. I have the same questions as all of you do.

Before we were a couple, my wife spent a long period of time in China. She had a Visa (which she kept renewing) and actually worked there as a translator and English teacher (literally taught the English language).

She always spoke fondly of it as a country. She communicated regularly with either a person or people there, both by phone and by email. Given that I don't know the language, nor can read or write it, I had no idea who she was talking to, or what she was talking about. She gave little indication about those communications when asked. I trusted her (at least for a long period of time), so had no reason to quizz her much about it.

Wasn't fond of the idea, but aquiesed when she wanted to visit last November. What originally was supposed to be a 10 day trip, turned into her not coming back at all.

What she's doing for money, I have no idea. She took quite a few clothes with her, but certainly not anywhere close to all of them. Aside from the money she took with her (about $5K), she made no attempt to use our joint checking account that I'm aware of (closed out several weeks ago).

The (very) sparse communications we've had since November, have been all via email (my phone attempts have been futile). The vast majority have been brief.."what do you want me to do with (pick an asset)?" The obvious questions, ".....are you OK?...where are you?.....what are you doing?.....what's wrong?.....do you need my help?.....", all were either dismissed with "everything's fine" or ignored entirely.

The only thing I know for certain (at least what I'm told) is she's in China, and plans on staying there for an undetermined amount of time. Not knowing immigration laws of China, I have to imagine eventually the gov't there is going to ask her to leave.

In a nut shell. that's it. I've accepted the fact there were/are things I didn't know, and were never going to be offered as explanations. There are things I won't know, probably never will.

Yeah...I was PO'd for a while. Now, I just want to move on...put it behind me.

The Accord was in her name. I couldn't sell it even if I wanted to. Her aunt has the car and any clothes, jewelry, and assets that were hers. There's nothing of hers left with me.

Legally, this will be over next Monday, when I go to court to dissolve the marraige with her in absentia (which was a real PITA).

Thanks for letting me vent!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    This is a slow market but it seems to be picking up, even though the realtor stats don't support that. There's three new houses being built within a mile of us (hey, we can see for miles...) and I have a "make me an offer" flag up on my house on Zillow. That's a very small pool of potential buyers, and yet we've had three serious candidates walk through the house in the last six months. Prequalified people, one rep'd by a realtor, so they were real shoppers.

That said, prices still lag the 2008 boom.

Hard to pin car sales down, but they seem to have cooled off here. My backyard neighbor manages a dealership and I've seen him at home more in the last two weeks than in all the previous year.
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    nyccarguy said:

@jpp5862 - how's the Volvo doing?

Hey @nyccarguy the S60 is doing great, it just turned 17k miles and other than a software upgrade last fall that threw the Check Engine light it's been trouble free. I really enjoy driving it although most of my time these days is in the Touareg, but when I have the itch to drive a car it still puts a smile on my face.

I'd still be a little leery to own it too far outside the warranty but overall I'm really happy with it. I think we're just under 2 years left on the lease.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

WOW...I thought Hawaii was bad for real estate prices.

When the real estate bust happened several years ago. Cincinnati was largely unfazed. But, that means the real estate appreciation seen other places the last year or so, was more modest here, too.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,974
    GG, sorry to hear of your problems and the end of your marriage. Sometimes we just never know why folks do what they do, we just have to accept their actions and move on, something you have done with a lot of class! Been married for almost 35 years and the two things I tell the kids is to have a sense of humor and be able to compromise! I know one thing, it's only going to be once for me!!! Doubt I could ever love another woman like I do my wife!
    Glad you are moving on with your life and I wish you only good luck if you ever decide to enter the marriage pool again!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    GG, this has probably been harder on you than you are letting us know. I admire your ability to deal with a very weird and confusing situation. Just remember that all this erratic behavior by your ex wife is not your fault. It would not be surprising if you heard from her soon that she is now ready to come back. Don't fall for it. Just stay away and keep away.

I don't remember, but I hope you were able to get an annulment.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited June 2016
    GG, thanks for the update....it seems like you are handling it fine - have reasoned it out and got things under control.

I have a friend here who is on his 4th marriage. All nice people, things just broke down after awhile.

One friend in Florida has been married 5 times! His present wife, #5, was also his #2 wife. It is way too confusing and would be too much for me to even think of his life.....like dividing up your possessions 4 or 5 times.......but the wheel of fate spins.......

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,166
    stever said:

Hard to pin car sales down, but they seem to have cooled off here. My backyard neighbor manages a dealership and I've seen him at home more in the last two weeks than in all the previous year.

From the pictures you've posted it's hard to consider that you have a backyard neighbor, at least in the sense that many of share a backyard where we can easily see the house behind us. LOL

Weren't many predicting the overselling of mortgages that caused the 08 meltdown would be replicated in the oversold loans for autos? Car sales here show the effects of the recession we've been in for years that has worsened recently for most folks. The artificially low interest rates and loan rates should be helping buyers for your home.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    GG, sorry you have to go through what would seem an incredibly difficult situation. Is she of Chinese heritage? (Hope you don't mind my asking; I don't mean to seem insensitive.)
  • Options
    I had an experience last night with the ATS that caused me some alarm and I thought I would share it to see what you folks think.

I had taken the car to Home Depot to check out a few things and when I got back to the car in the parking lot I apparently inadvertently slid the door handle keyhole cover over slightly when I grasped the handle to open the door. On the ATS and I believe some other Cadillacs there is a chromed plastic cover that matches the moveable part of the door handle, which conceals the slot for the key should the keyless entry ever fail. You slide it to the left to remove it and expose the key slot. My thumb must have moved that accidentally when I opened the door in the parking lot. I got in and the door closed normally and I drove home.

When I pulled into my driveway and shut the car off the auto-unlock function did not kick in as usual. The interior door handle would not open the door, and the unlock button on the door panel would do nothing either. I could not get out. I was baffled. I started the car again, put it into gear, put it back into park - nothing. While I was wondering if I could climb over the console to get to the passenger side, I tried the window switch and rolled the drivers window down. Then I was able to lean out and see the problem.

The key cover had slid over a bit and prevented the outside door handle from retracting into its normal position after I had opened the door to get inside. The cover was wedged under the rear edge of the outside door handle, so that the handle was standing proud of the door surface a bit. I was able to pull the outside handle open from inside the car, at which point the key cover fell to the ground and the door opened.

It freaked me out a bit. I don't know why it is designed this way but it strikes me as a safety hazard. Someone could have panicked, had an attack of claustrophobia or anxiety, or if there was a real problem with the car, been injured trying to escape. Scary.

I think I am going to put a drop of weatherstrip adhesive on the key cover tomorrow to make sure it doesn't do that again.

Am I crazy or does this design seem to be unsafe?

• Options
    certainly odd GG. At this point, up to the Aunt to get whatever papers signed or authorization (POA) to sell the car. If I was her, I would probably just sign the title for her and hope for the best!

as to houses, there were quite a few recently (last 6 months) in my neighborhood, including 3 in a row across the street (and no, they are not trying to get away from me), and a few more up the road. All sold, for good prices, and very quickly. a few more in the back also came and went fast. I'm surprised that so much inventory moved like that, for good prices. Happy, in case I ever get my dream of cashing out!

• Options
    carnaught said:

GG, sorry you have to go through what would seem an incredibly difficult situation. Is she of Chinese heritage? (Hope you don't mind my asking; I don't mean to seem insensitive.)

Thanks, all! I'll be fine.

carnaught....nope...she's not Chinese. She's a mix of Norwegian/German/Scottish. Her family has been in the U.S. for at least 5 generations.

She has a degree in education (primary school) with a minor in Chinese. She also has a Masters in Education with emphasis on Chinese culture. She's as fluent in Chinese as anyone can be coming from a native English speaker. I know she had contacts living in China she met when in school. But, that was a while ago. There are some gaps in her life that she wouldn't talk about, at least not with me. But, I never pressed her on them, believing she would share them if/when she wanted.

In short, I don't care any more.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    PF_Flyer said:

suydam said:

I'm out on a little trip out to SoCal before our move and as a rental I got a Nissan Versa Note. I really didn't know anything about this vehicle but it's growing on me. I'm doing a lot of driving that involves negotiating narrow streets and parking lots as well as freeway stretches to get to various places. It handles all of this with ease. It has good visibility, and fits well in the tiny condo space allotted to a second car out here. Great gas mileage. I'm about to find out how it handles a Costco supply trip. Basically I've got a 4 day road test with it in exactly the conditions I'll be driving in. I think we could buy a very nicely equipped one for the amount we sold the Accord, which is also attractive.

We have a little over 60K on our Note. I think you'll be happy with the amount of Costco supplies you'll be able to fit inside. ;)
    So, are you making "notes" on your Note?
    abacomike said:

When I was in the car business, appraising vehicles was the most difficult and potentially costly activity I was involved in. One mistake and it could cost the dealership thousands of dollars in vehicle trade losses.

I remember one situation that occurred several months after Katrina hit New Orleans.  I was appraising a 2005 BMW 5 series out on the lot.  I opened the driver's door to verify the odometer reading and to take it for a quick test drive.  It was supposedly only 8 months old and according to the owner, he just couldn't afford the payments and wanted to get into a G35.  As I closed the driver's door and started it up, I smelled a musty odor coming from inside the car.  Living in Florida, you become sensitive to the smell of mold.

I turned the engine off and went back inside to check a CARFAX.  It showed the car was purchased in Gretna, LA, in April, 2005.  It then showed a new title being issued to the same owner in Florida.  It hit me right away - this was a hurrucane Katrina survivor, but there was nothing on the CARFAX showing repairs or reconditioning.

I asked the owner if the car received any damage in the hurricane in the New Orleans area.  He said, "...how did you know the car was in New Orleans during Katrina?..."  I merely responded by telling him about the musty odor in his car and the fact that the car was purchased in the spring of 2005 in the New Orleans area and had been registered in Jefferson Parish.

The customer agreed that the car had suffered some slight water seepage while the car was parked in his driveway.  They had moved to south Florida to get away from the mess the hurricane had caused.

I explained to him that I could not give him wholesale value for his trade - that because of the mold and potential for rust, I could not accept his car in trade.  In fact, I warned him that he needed to notify the Florida DMV that his car had sustained water infiltration due to flooding.  This guy could have been in big trouble if it was discovered "after the fact" that he withheld information about damage to his car.

It's just a good thing I stuck my nose in the car - with such a new car, normally I would spend most of my time checking for exterior damage or refinishing.  :o

Not being able to smell a car's interior is a pitfall when buying cars through online auctions.

We bought one once that reeked so badly of cigarettes and dog that we had to wholesale it. The wholesalers
    DID smell the interior and we lost a lot of money as I recall.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

Just another day for a bike ride in Colorado.

I imagine the same car has skis on it in the winter.

I saw a 911 the other day with a tow hitch! Now, really.........

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,954
    What could it possibly tow? They must have used it for a little cargo box or wheelchair.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,359
    Could have a bike rack that plugs in, instead of putting them on the top.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

From the pictures you've posted it's hard to consider that you have a backyard neighbor, at least in the sense that many of share a backyard where we can easily see the house behind us. LOL

Weren't many predicting the overselling of mortgages that caused the 08 meltdown would be replicated in the oversold loans for autos? Car sales here show the effects of the recession we've been in for years that has worsened recently for most folks. The artificially low interest rates and loan rates should be helping buyers for your home.

Minimum lot size here is 2.1 acres - why the one/tenth I don't know. But it's high desert and scrub vegetation so you can see all over and sounds carry well. To really get "space" you need ten acres. One potential buyer wound up on 5 acres and I'm not sure that was enough for them.

Home loans are tougher these days and the banks really want to see a monthly cash flow.

Subprime car loans don't bother me too much. The banks know cars are depreciating assets and they are easier to repo than a house, even though they are easier to hide. We just lost a great newspaper carrier because his car died and he can't afford to fix it or get another so there's still that. Any eventual slowdown in the market may boil down to being a case of how many cars to you need.

One of the new houses being built here is close and we've talked to the couple building it several times and watched them come and go. They have a big pickup for hauling their travel trailer, she has a mid-size sedan and he has a Jeep Cherokee or similar for his daily driver. I dunno, can't say anything, I just collect different kinds of junk I guess.
  • Options
    Probably one of those little "wagon-trailers" or garden trailers. It does have over 300HP after all. I thought it was pretty cool. I'd do something like that.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    "Not being able to smell a car's interior is a pitfall when buying cars through online auctions.

We bought one once that reeked so badly of cigarettes and dog that we had to wholesale it. The wholesalers
    DID smell the interior and we lost a lot of money as I recall."

Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode when he got his car back from valet parking with a terrible stench that could not be gotten rid of despite multiple attempts? The smell translated to anyone who was a rider in the car, and was so bad that he had to get rid of it, but nobody would take it.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

My guess is that someone put in one to many zeros.

• Options

Thanks for letting me vent!

You're welcome, that's what we're here for. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Options
    ab348 said:

I had an experience last night with the ATS that caused me some alarm and I thought I would share it to see what you folks think.

Am I crazy or does this design seem to be unsafe?

All I can think of ab is to ask your dealer what the h--- that plastic cover is all about? It seems like a menace. If someone didn't know anything about cars, or was not mechanical at all (which is probably most Cadillac (and for that matter MB)customers), they could panic...say try to get out of the car at the doctors office, or an important appointment.

You must still be under warranty. worth asking. I can't find others having the problem on google, so it could be just a one time only weird situation.

• Options
    stickguy said:

as to houses, there were quite a few recently (last 6 months) in my neighborhood, including 3 in a row across the street (and no, they are not trying to get away from me), and a few more up the road. All sold, for good prices, and very quickly. a few more in the back also came and went fast. I'm surprised that so much inventory moved like that, for good prices. Happy, in case I ever get my dream of cashing out!

One friend who does well in the stock market said if Britain exits the EU, then lots of investment dollars will flow into North American stocks and property. First everything will go down when the panic happens, then as European and Asian investors look for stable places to invest, the US and Canada will benefit.

I don't act on these tips......but, it does sound logical if you are into trying to outperform the market, and don't mind risk.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Might it also be a big boost for German banks if London does a Brexit?
  • Options
    berri said:

Might it also be a big boost for German banks if London does a Brexit?

No one really knows. No one knows for sure whether it is better or worse for Britain. One comment from German banks was

" DZ Bank says Brexit would cost the Germany economy £34.8bn by 2017 alone and the country could fall into recession.
    German experts predicted Britain leaving Europe would act as a “slow poison” to their countries economy."

North America benefiting is just a prediction....but, impossible to tell until it happens.