Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Too bad it will probably cost north of $50K; more the way the one in the photos is equipped!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited January 2017
    Sans real information, the real issues are diesel "premiums " & B/E points! Not that it's a real issue for those who spend those kinds of monies for gassers !? One can get a stout V8 gasser & easily exceed the diesel premiums & B/E's. The 2017 model line, I've read has a gasser V6 3.6 L option with 450 # ft. Maybe they'll surprise us with another diesel engine option maybe a 5.0 V8 with 500/600 # ft?

With 26 gal fuel tanks the Ford 150 @ 19 mpg RUG-PUG/30 mpg ULSD that's 494/780miles or 58% greater range. Over 180,000 miles (15k yr/12 years=/ 9,474/ 6,000 gals) that's a minimum 364 /231stops!

Maybe it's me, but I'm not a real fan of a whole lot more fuel station stops: unless I owned a few units (of 5 each = ONE unit!) :D
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Getting the thread back on track, what would it take for me to buy a diesel? No price premium for the diesel engine and no price premium for diesel fuel.

I've run the numbers many times, the increased fuel economy of a diesel doesn't provide a sensible payback for many years. If you love the torque and extended range then it's worth the premium no doubt, otherwise there isn't an economic case to be made for diesel.
    edited January 2017
    My guess, are that things are relatively tidy for VW, throwing diesels under the bus!

De facto, VW must have calculated the TDI's $$$'s, its decision to NOT comply with past emissions standards, going forward: tightening regulations, R & D, sales figures, profit levels, etc. & either decided or flipped a coin ? To me, it looks like they took advantage of the years after being discovered.

I'm guessing the so called "insiders" were able to "offset" "perceived" losses (upwards of $ 18 B?) in any number of ways; that are not as invisible to invisible: before & after the news broke in Sept 2015.
    J
    It is a "MESS" IF clinging to the media's fairy tales are the paths!

So for example, dangle a few taller midgets (Laing, Dorenkamp, et al) & let the US excoriate them. Whom stays out of the various limelights & doesn't have to do multiple "Hogan" impersonations? Then, before that, Lower Saxony (governments) & the various labor's ownership/s & board seats, heirs to the Porsche families, et al, ALL signed up to double VW (its) profits with ZERO % labor cuts in the mix. This was done during the depths of the so called "diesel-gate" crisis! This has all blown lever rather guickly! After all what his Lower Saxony, a baritone saxophone?
    J
    Also "the proof is in the puddIng" ! VW has a very good shot at out-producing Toyota's cars & light trucks ! This was a high-priority goal that was severely disavowed, not too long ago. Yet somehow, they STILL have a shot at the " trifecta" .
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    jpp5862 said:

Getting the thread back on track, what would it take for me to buy a diesel? No price premium for the diesel engine and no price premium for diesel fuel.

I've run the numbers many times, the increased fuel economy of a diesel doesn't provide a sensible payback for many years. If you love the torque and extended range then it's worth the premium no doubt, otherwise there isn't an economic case to be made for diesel.

Every car we've bought over the last 8 years has required Premium fuel. Diesel is a good $0.40-$0.50/gal. cheaper than premium, where I live.

I do agree that the payback on diesel works a lot better with high-mileage users.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2017
    jpp5862 said:

I'm happy for you, & the (no data, here anyway) decision! I've done it any number of times for all four TDI"s. I've even posted them here. The 4 TDI's have had better numbers than gassers! Aka (cheaper, Cost Per Mile Driven) cpmd: depreciation, fuel, insurance, unscheduled maintenance, scheduled maintenance.

It should be overwhelmingly obvious why Toyota (Camry), Honda ( Accord), et. al, etc. don't offer diesels on US markets, even as they all offer them on WORLD markets. One reason might be why use the diesel product 33 mpg) when you can create more oil demand & get 19/20 mpg. (VW Touareg/TDI)

It's a shame that Mercedes-Benz was scared out of offering it's 2017 GLC "d". (CUV)

But at the same time, all the data indicates that auto OEM's are really dealing on 2016 small to midsize cars: sedans, etc. For one reason, many of the OEM's models swim in way too much inventory for this time in the models/s year.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Looks like the EPA/CARB has tasted diesel blood and is going after FCA. Glad I got the Touareg instead of the Jeep GC diesel. I don't see FCA being nearly as generous with their customers.

NEW YORK/DETROIT (Reuters) - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday accused Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV of illegally using hidden software that allowed significant excess diesel emissions, the result of a probe that stemmed from regulators' investigation of rival Volkswagen AG.

The EPA action affects 104,000 U.S. trucks and SUVs sold since 2014, about one-sixth the number of vehicles than in the Volkswagen case. The maximum fine is about $4.6 billion.

The EPA and California Air Resources Board told Fiat Chrysler it believes its undeclared auxiliary emissions control software allowed vehicles to generate excess pollution in violation of the law.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-epa-accuse-fiat-chrysler-excess-diesel-emissions-154301792--finance.html
    edited January 2017
    Indeed! It should be easy to track: almost like old Roman gladiator games!

I'm still waiting for the fix & driving the 2009 VW Jetta TDI's getting $$'s Sep 2015 KBB & $5,100. I'm also not paying $350. or so a month, for its' new replacement.

I have waited 16 mo ($5,600) (for the approved fix/es. So IF I have till Sep 2018 to DECIDE (& turn in shortly after), that's 36 mo of NO payments, ($12,600) added to the $12,975 promised. We also already got $1,300 tax credit, $1,00 good will. We also have 3 yr. VW Road assist.

So like Xwesx, it's hard to let go. !?. I'm not sure how/where to get another car like this with these or better dynamics!? ;)B) In my case. I wish justice speeds along, ....MORE ....slowly! B)
    edited January 2017
    ruking1 said:

I'm still waiting & driving the 2009 VW Jetta TDI's getting $$'s Sep 2015 KBB & $5,100. I'm also not paying $350. or so a month, for a new replacement car. I have wait waited 16 mo (5,600) (for the approved fix/es.

Yes! Keep it until the end of the buyback period (~ two years from now) and "drive it for free" in the meantime.

Mine was an extra set of wheels, so I looked at all of the costs of ownership as "above and beyond" expenses, which directly reduced the profit margin. As such, in my situation it was best to participate in the settlement as quickly as possible.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

A reporter is looking to talk to someone who was originally shopping for a new car, but decided to buy a CPO vehicle instead because it was a better deal. If you're willing to assist, please send an email to PR@Edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 16, 2017.
    edited January 2017
    ruking1 said:

So like Xwesx, it's hard to let go. !?. I'm not sure how/where to get another car like this with these or better dynamics!? ;)B) In my case. I wish justice speeds along, ....MORE ....slowly! B)

About the time you are ready to sell back the 09 VW, Chevy should be selling their Equinox with diesel.

A range of three turbocharged engines - including the compact SUV segment's first turbo-diesel in North America - provides customers more choices when it comes to performance, efficiency and capability in the all-new 2018 Chevrolet Equinox.

They include a 1.5L turbo, a 2.0L turbo - matched with GM's new nine-speed automatic transmission - and a 1.6L turbo-diesel.

Switchable AWD system that enhances efficiency by disconnecting from the rear axle when not needed

The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox goes on sale in the first quarter of 2017 in North America.

Chevy claims 40 MPG on the highway.

http://www.chevrolet.com/all-new-2018-equinox.html
    rukingI'm not sure how/where to get another car like this with these or better dynamics!?

A pastor friend wrecked his Civic and someone in his church sold him a 2002 New Beetle TDI for $1000. It has a 180k miles and runs like a top. He is about 6ft 4" and says he finally has a car he does not have to duck down in while driving. He thinks he gets about 50 MPG. He could not be happier with the car. Looking at used ones, He got a real good buy. It is black with faded out paint. No body damage.
    edited January 2017
    Given the 48 to 52 mpg commute range (50 mpg over 186,000 miles) of the 1.9 L 2003 VW Jetta TDI, 50 mpg is totally believable. I haven't done this in a while, but on the interstate @ 75 mph, it can post 59 mpg. Highest mpg was 62 mpg, for one tank full.
    What a score for him, Gary! May it run well and long for him.

Glad to see that announcement on the Equinox. I'm really surprised that no diesel option in the Traverse was announced. But, that timing is pretty good for me on the Equinox. I'll keep an eyeball on it. Prices seem to be going up ridiculously fast, but if one can be had under $35K, it might be a real option.

I was talking with my wife about a Q7 TDI a while back, and she balked at it the moment I said, "Audi." She wouldn't even consider anything else about it. For her, I think diesel would be an easier sell if there were any options out there these days with a manual gearbox.
    I think Audi is buying back all their TDI vehicles. I don't think we will see any diesels from a VW company.
    gagrice said:

I think Audi is buying back all their TDI vehicles. I don't think we will see any diesels from a VW company.

Honestly, that's okay with me as long as we do keep seeing diesel offerings from any company! Just due to expense of purchase, VW companies aren't generally the first place I look. However, my Passat was a hugely positive experience for me, so that put them on my radar.
    edited January 2017
    I guess I will have to get a test drive/look @ the Chevrolet 1.6 L TDI.

On a slow diesel day note, my daughter loves driving tha 2012 VW TDI!; as did the other daughter, when she was here.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    If you get a reliable VW, they are tough to beat.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Just looking around at what would be available if VW were to buy back my Touareg TDI? MB GL300d only 11 in the entire USA. 2016 BMW X5 35d only 8 in the US. Land Rover is a little better with 1303 diesel Range Rovers. Priced from $67k to $117k. Good selection in So CA. Jaguar Seems to be the most aggressive with 40% of the F-Pace SUVs with diesel. The San Diego dealers have 28 listed currently. Priced from $45k to $75k. Right today if I was buying it would be a tossup between the very few MB GLE 300d models available and the Jag F-Pace Prestige 20d.

Did I mention there are only 6 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesels listed in the USA. They must have known they were in trouble some time ago and quit building the diesel models. Nothing right now really excites me much. I would have to be forced to sell the Touareg.
    edited January 2017
    It's really interesting that the available to new TDI's are/becoming more " one off" than some vehicles designed to BE one off!? No word from wife's colleague on Jaguar F-Pace CUV TDI.

I'm not sure this is a true issue or not. (VW Touareg: PUG 19 mpg / TDI 33 mpg) This is given the de facto "consume WAY more, while blathering on about consuming less".

Despite over almost 3 decades or so of gasser, gasser-hybrid mpg "refinements, break through" gasser CUV/SUV's to "light trucks" have made scant improvements to even be @ par with diesels. (Touareg' 19 mpg PUG vs. 33 mpg ULSD: & the 42 gal barrel of oil 19 gal gasoline /13 gal ULSD ratios: heretofore (since Rockefeller @ least) almost immutable)

When the MB GLK 250 BT (compact CUV) was on the market & radar, the ( new for US markets) 2.1 L (T TDI, sorry about triple redundancies) twin turbo diesel was exciting! Torque per L was very high. It works that way in the real world also!

The local dealer really pressed the gassers, as there were both overwhelming more & more option combinations. In hindsight the % of BT's was very low.

Yet, the best I could project was 20 PUG /33 ULSD mpg, 13 mpg better. Fuelly.com lists 21.8 mpg. We've been posting 36 mpg, 14.2 mpg better .

So incidentally, my driving buddy & wife went back up to ski (on the north side) Lake Tahoe, CA, posting 18 mpg (V8 TLC) ! :o

The conditions cleared to almost perfection! I think starting today, MLK holiday weekend will be just WONDERFUL, albeit CROWDED!

The 12 VW Touareg TDI is up there supporting a snow boarding trip. (Lexus in the picture)
    edited January 2017
    South Lake Tahoe, CA (looking North), Heavenly Observation Deck! This was taken 10 mins ago: 945 hrs PST 1/17/2017.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited January 2017
    Oh, that is so beautiful, ruking1!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    Great picture!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited January 2017

Indeed I've not tired of views like that ! Indeed the above shows how FAST mountain weather conditions can change! 1/18/2017, 0745 hrs. Heavenly Observation Deck.

I do have to say that skiing & having a season pass & being up there is a bit like going to an outdoor gym. You can get scanned in @ any access point which can save gobs of time!

http://www.skiheavenly.com/video-and-interactive/web-cams.aspx

Below is a (road conditions) camera shot of one of the "main" highways (50 N/B) to South Lake Tahoe, CA.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/research/its/cctv/d03/hwy50atechosummit.htm

The time range, over the years (210 miles) has been from 2.50 hrs to 12 hrs!?

So here's a toast to both oem DIESELS:

2012 VW Touareg/2014 MB GLK 250 BT TDI's, 8/7 speed A/T power trains & 4 "matic" traction systems, mid/compact sized CUV's!
    edited January 2017

Three minutes ago, another day in a Winter Wonder Land!?
    edited January 2017
    We are just loving all this global warming hoopala! ! So far this season, we've had 330 inches of snow! OMG that's ONLY 27.5 ft ! Right now, I swag 1.5 to 1.75 ft outside the door. (aka, @ 6,225 ft., OVERNIGHT ! ) 3 to 6 ft are expected during this upcoming next big storm! Yee ha ! Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing a lot of eco conservatives swimming in Lake Tahoe at the moment ?

http://www.skiheavenly.com/the-mountain/snow-report/snow-report.aspx?intcmp=SN000061

Maybe should buy more local ULSD!

I'm hoping for Packers & Patriots to win! Go Bears, Chico/San Mateo, CA!
    Wow; that's some serious snowfall! Lotsa fun!
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure I understand, but my daughter's' "shorthaired" dog (1st cold/ "warm"winter) is absolutely LOVING snow, the deeper the better!? Just a twitch & she's ready to BOLT outdoors! After about four hours ( human endurance) in deep snow, she not only didn't want to come inside, but had ZERO signs of being cold (@ 26 degrees, w/c @ 18 degrees) ?!

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi?roadnumber=80&submit=Search

It's looking like chains or four-wheel-drive for interstate80/highway 50
    edited January 2017
    Hahaha; them dogs are crazy! My dogs always loved snow too, but one of ours was half husky, so that at least explains why she *should* have liked it! Still she was pretty small (about 20" at shoulders), and deep snow didn't deter her one bit. Well, until she was about twelve, anyway.

But, "deep" here has nothing on the numbers you posted earlier!
    edited January 2017
    On the main drags, they "harvest snow" almost like a wheat harvest. The snow eater/blower gets snow off the ground:with heavy duty dirt trucks following : catching the snow. As soon as that dirt truck is full of snow, it breaks off and another takes its place.

Public shuttle service will take one to the ski resorts & points in South Lake Tahoe.. I can save folks from getting into stop & go traffic this way.
    edited January 2017
    https://youtu.be/cbw3UFx2u5o
    Here are som BIG diesels @ work! Each load goes from ZERO to less than 80,000 's & accelerates !
    https://youtu.be/QnUVxA-VS88
    While this isn't me, it is the mountain downgrade Highway 50 of my SOS/DD trek.
    edited January 2017
    https://youtu.be/B7WbSBxP_so

While this isn't me, this is the mountain upgrade Highway 50 of my SOS/DD trek.
    Amazing how fast those big dump trucks are filled up! That's some power on that snowthrower! I'd so love to have one like that. :D
    edited January 2017
    Indeed, that is true! It would seem the biggest impediment is that the snow blower had to stop every time to let another dump truck position itself! ? When a snowplow/ blower is working, I really don't contemplate how much snow they can & do displace @ its operating speeds.! The blower is so efficient that I think that snowplows can be used as secondary machines.?

I probably should not say this, but back when I was a wee lad (42 years ago) I wanted to go with a crew (4 snow plows) to clear runways @ the northern base I was stationed. One of the guys let me behind the controls for a go! I went back into the cab @ under 6 ft tall! After the experience I felt 12 ft tall!

Since I last posted, South Lake Tahoe, California is now (01/23/2017) sitting at 31.33 feet of snow! 30 in tinkled in overnight! 201 in AVERAGE. There are 9 more potential snow days left in Jan 2017. Common global warming sense would HAVE (progressively) less snowfall than average?. http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/south-lake-tahoe/California/united-states/usca1317 Instead there are 175 more inches (87%) more snowfall!!! (376 in ) !! I hear even parts of SoCal are flooding! Got to love all this global "warming"

So 42 secs ago! Chains and/or four-wheel-drive are required.
    http://www.skiheavenly.com/video-and-interactive/web-cams.aspx
    It's good to have snow years like this from time to time. Hopefully it will melt at a moderate rate and not all come rushing down at once....!
    edited January 2017
    According to the local news', I was WAY UNDER estimating the (over average) percentages of rainfall & snowfall!! As I have maintained, Eco Conservatives don't even believe their own blather (Gore, DiCaprio execesses) Further, the parts they do believe are like the river DEnial! Or more to the point "do as I say, not as I do! " it should've been obvious from the start who the real cover up stooges & true DENIERS types are!?

Today promises to be a great ski/snowboard day!

I should get the 411 from my sister and her husband!

So far it's 6 ft tall snow from the driveway's pavement at the cabin (6,237 ft) . Any more of this global "warming" & I'm might have to in/e gress from the 2nd story window!
    http://php.prismcam.com/public/exposed/download.php?target=//storage.googleapis.com/prism-cam-00018/2017/01/24/07-44/1080-watermark.jpg&cam_title=Heavenly Observation Deck

https://youtu.be/1mvai_72lWQ

A taste of "global warming" Tahoe, CA style? Seems the people that recorded this seem right at home (in their homeland's) in Tahoe's "real" winters?! But then at 92 years young, I'm sure she's seen a lot of global warming?
    For our Fairbanks contributor. Our AK Teamster boss posted this one.

edited January 2017
    Perhaps it's me, but he looks weirdly underdressed !

The coldest I've had to spend (10 hours) outdoors was minus -77 degrees F windchill.

I remember once one guy got his skin stuck to the side of an aircraft!
    It should be about seventy degrees warmer than that later on this afternoon! :D
    edited January 2017
    This is not quite apples to apples on SOS/DD trip in snow conditions, but the Acura MDX owner (2 people) was happy to post 16/18 mpg with no stop/go, snow impediments.

On another more grueling trip ( stop/go, snow impediments) , daughter posted 31/32 mpg with 4 aboard on the 2012 VW Touareg TDI. She was more happy to get 50 cents off per gal!? :D

New SMART FiNAL opening : fresh whole chicken $.39 cents #.

In this competitor example (like model midsize CUV's) diesel has a 15 to 14 mpg (minimum/94 % better) advantage over RUG/PUG. ! The implications & consequences are almost totally ignored to lied about by the Eco Conservatives. We haven't even begun to talk about the barrel (42 gal) of oil ratio. (19 gal gas/13 gal) 60% diesel PVF would drop barrel by approximately 60 to 70%.
    Ugh! I don't even want to calculate the "economy" on my Forester for the last week! It is going to be brutal. I didn't really use the Passat in winter conditions, so it is tough to compare, but I suspect it would have managed better than 30 mpg in those same conditions.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    That is just too cold! Do you have to put an additive in the diesel fuel for the engine to run at those low temps? I remember when dad had is Eldorado diesel in the early 80s and we lived in Knoxville, TN he would add something to the fuel when it got below freezing.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited January 2017
    sda said:

That is just too cold! Do you have to put an additive in the diesel fuel for the engine to run at those low temps? I remember when dad had is Eldorado diesel in the early 80s and we lived in Knoxville, TN he would add something to the fuel when it got below freezing.

Yes, I did, but only because I filled it up for the last time in early September, before the stations switched to "winter diesel." Basically, just #1 diesel in ULSD form. Now that I consider that, if I was driving the car throughout the winter, I might have taken a bigger economy hit due to that change alone. #1 has much less energy per gallon than #2.

But, I added a fuel stabilizer to it in November before the temps dropped under around 15-20 degrees. It didn't really work well, though, because I couldn't get the car started after we had a cold spell of about -5F in late November, and I found the fuel was clouding/thickening when I opened the fuel filter. In order to get it started, I ended up having to do a combination of things: Diesel 911 into the fuel filter to re-liquefy it, a stabilizer in the tank to keep it that way, and I put a heating pad on the oil pan to allow for easier cranking.

Once back to running condition, it didn't seem to mind the cold weather at all. It was close to -20F the morning I took it to Anchorage for the buyback, and it started right up (with the oil pan heater operating) with only a little stumble, which was after sitting for three weeks after I did all of that in the above paragraph. It was a surprisingly cold -5F in Palmer the next afternoon when I took it into Anchorage, and I didn't have it plugged in. Again, no issues: Started right up!
    edited January 2017
    Only to add to Xwesx's comments, I would use a battery trickle charger (due to TDI's greater battery current draw, & secondarily for a modern cars 24/7 current draw) .

The diesel fuels used during the 1980's are radically different from the 2006 ULSD specifications.

The local vendors products now ULSD can be customized.
    Due to the year round possibility of cold in the Arctic, they only sold number one diesel. It is very similar to kerosene and Jet A. Most of the airline jets up there used Jet B at least in the winter. Our newer Ford Diesels did not take to number one diesel. I think it had high sulfur content and it would bugger up the emissions stuff. Always taking those trucks in for service. I retired about the time ULSD came out so don't know if they sold low sulfur #1 diesel.
    edited January 2017
    xwesx said:

Ugh! I don't even want to calculate the "economy" on my Forester for the last week! It is going to be brutal. I didn't really use the Passat in winter conditions, so it is tough to compare, but I suspect it would have managed better than 30 mpg in those same conditions.

That seems to be the prevailing & operative attitude why most gasser drivers (95 to 97% gas PVF) will not consider diesels. (3% to 5% PVF)

So when you drive a gasser/TDI under similar conditions ( i.e.,Subie in your case), what WAS common to both was YOU.

So using fuelly.com's (2014 MB GLK 350) avg. of 22 mpg (22.125) PUG vs (mine 2014 GLK 250 BT) avg. of 36 mpg (fuelly .com might consider this an outlier avg.) ULSD ='s 14 mpg more or ULSD is 64% better.

In almost all cases, the differences are HUGE! That's before factoring in the (42 gallon ) barrel of oil ratio: 19 gal gas/ 13 ga ULSD. Needless to say, both factors are HUGELY more consumptive.

Surprise! surprise? http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/07/business/la-fi-fuel-exports-20121107 Here is a "non sound bite able" 5 year old explanation!?

We've been back to 36/37 mpg for the MB GLK 250 BT: local prices are @ $2.77 ULSD, $2.93 PUG, $ 2.73 RUG.
    Average was just over 17 mpg on the Forester. Blech! :'(
This discussion has been closed.