Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,716
    Carmax disappoints again.  $20k.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,020
    The last couple of offers I've received from CarMax have been disappointing. They don't seem to step up like they used to and even then the offers weren't great.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,429
    breld said:

You think you'd get a different number if you went to a different store? You should also try Echo Park - they hit our CX-9 $500 higher than CarMax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,423
    breld said:

Do they have a lot of these in inventory?
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,767

breld said:

Kia doesn't retain its value like a Honda. One reason Honda's lease well is higher residuals that are not just inflated figures.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

breld said:

They had none locally. I checked nation-wide, and they have a handful of the current-gen Sedonas. The closest one to mine was one trim level up, but same year and same miles; they were asking $29k for it.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,767
    edited January 2017
    breld said:

breld said:

They had none locally. I checked nation-wide, and they have a handful of the current-gen Sedonas. The closest one to mine was one trim level up, but same year and same miles; they were asking $29k for it.
    OUCH! That's greedy, a 9K spread? Any accident damage? The usual spread around that price range shouldn't be more than $5K. As I said; greedy.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Michaell said:

breld said:

You think you'd get a different number if you went to a different store? You should also try Echo Park - they hit our CX-9 $500 higher than CarMax.
    I think CM is on a common system. There are two stores in Clt, and they have access to my transactions at both.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,801
    just ride the van out. use that instead of whatever SUV you would buy to replace it until the lease is up. Get your money's worth out of it.

I thought this discussion was about to move toward trading the 428 back in on something. Maybe an SQ4?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,447
    @breld,
    Not sure much longer your lease is, but I'm kind of surprised they don't some sort of pull ahead offer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    that only does you good if you want to lease something new from them.

• Options
    stickguy said:

that only does you good if you want to lease something new from them.

The Venn diagram with @breld and Kia is about as close as the earth and the sun.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    does Kia have a big SUV now? I pay no attention to them.

Hyundai might be close enough. The large Santa Fe is a really nice larger Ute.

• Options
    stickguy said:

does Kia have a big SUV now? I pay no attention to them.

Hyundai might be close enough. The large Santa Fe is a really nice larger Ute.

Depends on what you mean by big. Sorento is the largest SUV in the lineup. They used to offer the Borrego, which was a body-on-frame RWD SUV.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Kia's Sorento is actually pretty nice, and I actually sat in a couple Santa Fe's at the store today and thought they presented better than the Infiniti I was in. Pretty taken with the Durango though.

Riding out the lease is indeed the smart thing to do. Though if I found a dealer willing to step up a bit more toward the lease buyout, I'd consider that. Otherwise, certainly no sense in "giving" the use of the car away for the next year.

• Options
    breld said:

Kia's Sorento is actually pretty nice, and I actually sat in a couple Santa Fe's at the store today and thought they presented better than the Infiniti I was in. Pretty taken with the Durango though.

Riding out the lease is indeed the smart thing to do. Though if I found a dealer willing to step up a bit more toward the lease buyout, I'd consider that. Otherwise, certainly no sense in "giving" the use of the car away for the next year.

Guess I know which brands we'll be hitting at the auto show in a few months!

I'm gonna go on record and say that a Durango with a Hemi will be a punch some time this year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Michaell said:

breld said:

I'm gonna go on record and say that a Durango with a Hemi will be a punch some time this year.
    Seconded.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Michaell said:

breld said:

It's nice that you think I'll last a few months.

In fact, my wife is busy helping a friend do some painting for the entire afternoon. She told me I should go look at some SUVs. :)

• Options
    you people are amazing. I think I mean that in a good way...

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Those Durangos look like something from the Automotive World That Time Forgot. What speaks to you about it?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Well, I like the more "brute" look of the exterior compared to some other crossovers. The interior isn't all that exciting, but has a quality feel - much more so than a few other domestics I've looked at (Explorer, Acadia/Traverse). The UConnect system is nice and user-friendly.

The driving dynamics of the Durango (in my opinion, of course) are dramatically different (in a good way) than the Infiniti JX35 I drove (and presumably the Pathfinder as well). I have yet to drive an Explorer or Traverse. Highlanders and Pilots drive very pleasant, but not as engaging as the Durango. The CX-9 is nice, and I still may consider one, but been there done that.

So, regardless of price, I do like the Durango better than most competitors - what's nice is since they do depreciate quite a bit, there are good deals to be had.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,039
    I happen to think the Enclave is pretty sweet, or the GMC Acadia. Never driven either though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,010
    Our Enclave rides and drives beautifully and has been perfect except for warped rotors. The biggest problem is the tech is behind the times. No keyless start and the NAV screen isn't that big.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,839
    I drove an Acadia when it first came out back in, when was that.... maybe early 2007? My wife hated it. She thought it was big, cumbersome, and gaudy. LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I sat in a Traverse and Enclave earlier today - I definitely liked the roominess of the interior and the layout with the captains chairs in the second row. The dash overall seemed outdated to me. I will probably take a test drive one of these days.

A couple years ago Motor Trend did one of their "Big Test" comparisons of 3-row SUVs, with all the usual suspects, and they picked the Durango as #1. That surprised me and is precisely what got me to go take a look at them.

MT Big Test - 3 row SUVs

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    All right, I’m looking at this minivan.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77021&modelCode1=TANDC&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=77021&showcaseOwnerId=69196993&startYear=2015&listingType=used&endYear=2017&modelCodeList=TANDC&makeCodeList=CHRY&modelCode1=TANDC&mmt=%5BCHRY%5BTANDC%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&makeCode1=CHRY&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=50&showcaseOwnerId=69196993&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=2015&numRecords=25&makeCode1=CHRY&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=50&listingId=435607597&makeCode1=CHRY&modelCode1=TANDC

2016 Chrysler T&C Touring, 17k miles, for $16,990. Which is too cheap, so I call and ask why. They tell me it has a salvage title (Rebuilt Title in Texas) due to “hail damage”. When pressed, they have no actual information, claim to have bought it at auction for $16,500 and “just trying to get my money back”. I tell him he paid too much, and I wouldn’t consider it for a dime more than $15k.

So today, he calls me back and says he will take the $15k. I’m thinking of driving down Monday afternoon to take a look, but it would really help if I could get any information.

The VIN is 2C4RC1BG1GR165070

@qbrozen, would you take a look and see if you can find it on any auction listings?

And I think one of the regulars here can run Carfax reports? I would really appreciate any and everything you can find.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    breld said:

I sat in a Traverse and Enclave earlier today - I definitely liked the roominess of the interior and the layout with the captains chairs in the second row. The dash overall seemed outdated to me. I will probably take a test drive one of these days.

A couple years ago Motor Trend did one of their "Big Test" comparisons of 3-row SUVs, with all the usual suspects, and they picked the Durango as #1. That surprised me and is precisely what got me to go take a look at them.

MT Big Test - 3 row SUVs

From what I've read in several forums and CR, early model years to around 2011 Traverse, Acadia, etc. are very trouble prone with lots of ac, transmission and electrical gremlins. I had a Traverse as a loaner and found that it drove well and was very comfortable and my wife really liked it.

• Options
    henryn said:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77021&modelCode1=TANDC&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=77021&showcaseOwnerId=69196993&startYear=2015&listingType=used&endYear=2017&modelCodeList=TANDC&makeCodeList=CHRY&modelCode1=TANDC&mmt=%5BCHRY%5BTANDC%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingTypes=used%2Ccertified&makeCode1=CHRY&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=50&showcaseOwnerId=69196993&listingTypes=used,certified&startYear=2015&numRecords=25&makeCode1=CHRY&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=50&listingId=435607597&makeCode1=CHRY&modelCode1=TANDC

2016 Chrysler T&C Touring, 17k miles, for $16,990. Which is too cheap, so I call and ask why. They tell me it has a salvage title (Rebuilt Title in Texas) due to “hail damage”. When pressed, they have no actual information, claim to have bought it at auction for $16,500 and “just trying to get my money back”. I tell him he paid too much, and I wouldn’t consider it for a dime more than $15k.

So today, he calls me back and says he will take the $15k. I’m thinking of driving down Monday afternoon to take a look, but it would really help if I could get any information.

@qbrozen, would you take a look and see if you can find it on any auction listings?

And I think one of the regulars here can run Carfax reports? I would really appreciate any and everything you can find.

well, certainly plenty of red flags on this one. Sounds like the dealer screwed up on the buy, and wants you to bail him out of his mess. Could be good, if you are going to keep it and run into the ground. But very possibly no longer covered by factory warranty, and who knows what evils lurk beneath. You might think you are getting in cheap, but it could get expensive quick (and if you need to bail out).

actually, at this point, the dealer probably figured out what he actually has. Hence the quick taking of your lowball price!

• Options
    stickguy said:

henryn said:

well, certainly plenty of red flags on this one. Sounds like the dealer screwed up on the buy, and wants you to bail him out of his mess. Could be good, if you are going to keep it and run into the ground. But very possibly no longer covered by factory warranty, and who knows what evils lurk beneath. You might think you are getting in cheap, but it could get expensive quick (and if you need to bail out).

actually, at this point, the dealer probably figured out what he actually has. Hence the quick taking of your lowball price!
    It will be interesting if a Car Fax will identify anything specific. If it doesn't have structural or flood damage it maybe worth a thorough inspection and like you said, if willing to keep long term, a decent buy.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2017
    henryn said:

CARFAX says "FLOOD DAMAGE". Van is out of Iowa, also listed as rental vehicle.

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,221
    Yikes!!!  Run away!!
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    Agree. Run away. 
  • Options
    Oh, if a flood car, just run away.

I don't see it, and I don't think Manheim would sell such a car, so he must have gotten it elsewhere. Thing is, clean ones with under 20k are $19k all day long at auction, putting fair retail right about $21-22k. Half price for a salvage vehicle puts you at $10k-$11k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,316
    edited January 2017
    Hail or high water.  What's the difference?  Wow that's dishonest. 
  • Options
    Thanks Q for your help with the Accord purchase!
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:
    Hail damage I could live with if repaired correctly and the price was right.  But I wouldn't take a flood damaged car if you paid me.

Incredibly dishonest. 
  • Options

mjfloyd1 said:

Hail damage I could live with if repaired correctly and the price was right.  But I wouldn't take a flood damaged car if you paid me.

Incredibly dishonest. 

Take note of the dealer name and stay away. Trustworthy, not.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    mjfloyd1 said:

Incredibly dishonest. 
    I meant that as a tongue in cheek hell or high water reference. 

Ive seen  PDR do wonders on hail damage. 

Flood cars are electrical system nightmares. 
  • Options

henryn said:

CARFAX says "FLOOD DAMAGE". Van is out of Iowa, also listed as rental vehicle.

Thank you very much, @Mr_Shiftright ! I knew there was one regular here who had access to carfax reports, but I didn't remember that it was you.

And yes, flood damage is a most definite "Don't go there!!!".

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Oh, if a flood car, just run away.

I don't see it, and I don't think Manheim would sell such a car, so he must have gotten it elsewhere. Thing is, clean ones with under 20k are $19k all day long at auction, putting fair retail right about $21-22k. Half price for a salvage vehicle puts you at $10k-$11k.

Appreciated as always, @qbrozen. I've been looking for a clean one with under 20k miles, at around $21 to $22k, just as you describe. And I haven't found any, at least not locally. I find many with 34k to 45k miles, going for around $19k or $20k. On the 17th, I'm getting $22k for my Passat TDI, and I would love to turn that into a nice low mileage T&C.

But all of the late model T&C minivans out there are all ex-rental vehicles, there seem to be no exceptions to that. And the rental companies are not turning them over until they have more miles than what I am looking for. And they're just not really "clean".

And speaking of clean, they're mostly not even washed. Forget detailed, the dealerships these days don't seem to even invest in a decent car wash / vacuum job.

So I guess I'll keep looking. And once again, thanks for the help here from @Mr_Shiftright and @qbrozen.

• Options
    some years ago (2008) I was looking at used Volvos through a local guy that was a dealer that would buy at auction for you, and add about 1K to that for you since no overhead. He had a line on a 2005 XC70. Nice and loaded, low miles, but at Manheim declared as hail. He had a guy that checked stuff out for him, and he said you could hardly notice anything. Did not have time to snag it, but it went silly cheap IIRC, and I would have grabbed it for what it went for, and never bothered to fix the dings. Oh well.

• Options
    Just checked the cargurus app in 77001 and found several.

• Options
    Hey Q - if you have a chance, would you mind giving me an idea of values on Durangos? I don't necessarily have a specific one in mind at this point, but I'm looking at:

2014 or 2015, AWD, SXT or Limited trim levels, mileage in the 20k's or so.

I'm seeing list prices in the mid to upper $20k's for the SXTs and high $20k's to low $30k's for the Limiteds.

If that's too vague to look up, I can just shoot you a specific one when I find one.

Thanks!

• Options
    2015 awd v6 limited with 25k-30k is $26k'ish, so figure $29k retail. SXT is a good $3k-$4k less. 2014 doesnt look to be much different if miles are still in the 30k range

• Options
    speak of the devil. CPO, a few more miles, right at that price.

not bad looking. Not my cup of tea though. CX-9, that is probably closer.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/687298592/overview/

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,517
    stickguy said:

I just took a quick look at that and said to myself: "35K miles looks like a lot for a 2015." Then I realized I have a 2015 in my driveway that has 44K miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I got a 2013 that is almost up to 38K. And a 2015 that is struggling to get to 15K (and both of those were purchased early in the model year!). Actually, the other 2015 (bought at the very end of the MY) as also still in the 14s.

of all the people that don't need a spare car laying around, I am up near the top of the list.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

2015 awd v6 limited with 25k-30k is $26k'ish, so figure $29k retail. SXT is a good $3k-$4k less. 2014 doesnt look to be much different if miles are still in the 30k range

Great - thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I'm seeing right now on the used market, so I guess the ones I'm eyeing are priced fair. Was hoping I could get into an SXT in low $20k's, but not likely.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Yup, that's pretty much what I'm looking at - like the gray color, but it'd be nice to find one with the beige leather just to brighten up the interior a bit, but black definitely is the predominant choice out there.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,517
    breld said:

stickguy said:

Yup, that's pretty much what I'm looking at - like the gray color, but it'd be nice to find one with the beige leather just to brighten up the interior a bit, but black definitely is the predominant choice out there.
    Gimme an H!
    H!

Gimme an E!
    E!

Gimme an M!
    M!

Gimme an I!
    I!

What's that spell?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD