Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,976
    Number of doors is important, though

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    merlion0821merlion0821 Member Posts: 143
    qbrozen said:

Sorry, it's a sedan in the NE Ohio area.
  • Options
    Sorry, it's a sedan in the NE Ohio area.
    If its clean with no accident history, $2500-$3k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Looking for the value of a 2007 Honda Accord LX, 4 cyl w/ 5-speed manual transmission. One owner, silver, with 136,000 miles. Thanks!

I would think this is an excellent candidate for "sell it yourself on Craigslist". I would expect that car (if clean, in good running condition) to sell in one day for $5k.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    gp_burdellgp_burdell Member Posts: 1
    Wondering what you think is a fair trade-in value for:
    2009 Honda Pilot EX-L, FWD
    Standard stock EX-L Package (No NAV or RES).
    Bali Blue Ext w Gray Interior
    105K miles
    1-owner
    New Michelins ~ 1 year old (12K miles)
    Interior is absolutely immaculate.
    Shiny paint, washed at least monthly and waxed at least yearly.
    Dealer maintained per the schedule with all service records (incl tune-up and timing belt done recently).
    Metro Atlanta area.

The hitch -- Front camshaft is going bad. The car runs just fine but any good mechanic will hear the camshaft clicking if he's paying attention. Dealer says the repair is around $500 parts plus $500-700 labor.

Should we accept any discount for the worn camshaft? I figure dealer can buy parts at cost and his service labor is already covered in his overhead. My view is it really should cost the dealer a fraction of what it would cost me to do the repair, so it really is a moot point. Also, if vehicle goes to auction, will this really matter?

Looking to trade on a new Acura MDX or RDX.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,106
    My sister is lookzing at cars and found this:

2008 Lexus RX 350 116,634 miles. Vin is. 2T2GK31U98C052493 listed at 12,995

White with tan interior.

Thoughts? This is in San Diego.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Michaell said:

My sister is lookzing at cars and found this:

2008 Lexus RX 350 116,634 miles. Vin is. 2T2GK31U98C052493 listed at 12,995

White with tan interior.

Thoughts? This is in San Diego.

I think I saw that advertisement, and I wasn't even seeking old used cars.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Michaell said:
    My sister is lookzing at cars and found this: 2008 Lexus RX 350 116,634 miles. Vin is. 2T2GK31U98C052493 listed at 12,995 White with tan interior. Thoughts? This is in San Diego.
    $8k auction, so $11k purchase is all the money, IMHO. But, scrolling through the sales, I see ones with 50k-80k miles for only $3k more, so I question why buy one with so many miles?

• Options
    Wondering what you think is a fair trade-in value for: 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L, FWD Standard stock EX-L Package (No NAV or RES). Bali Blue Ext w Gray Interior 105K miles 1-owner New Michelins ~ 1 year old (12K miles) Interior is absolutely immaculate. Shiny paint, washed at least monthly and waxed at least yearly. Dealer maintained per the schedule with all service records (incl tune-up and timing belt done recently). Metro Atlanta area. The hitch -- Front camshaft is going bad. The car runs just fine but any good mechanic will hear the camshaft clicking if he's paying attention. Dealer says the repair is around $500 parts plus $500-700 labor. Should we accept any discount for the worn camshaft? I figure dealer can buy parts at cost and his service labor is already covered in his overhead. My view is it really should cost the dealer a fraction of what it would cost me to do the repair, so it really is a moot point. Also, if vehicle goes to auction, will this really matter? Looking to trade on a new Acura MDX or RDX.
    I'm gonna say $8k-$9k. You won't see them cutting you any breaks on the repair. Thing is, most dealerships I have talked to separate sales and service. So when service works on a car for the sales department, they bill the sales dept. They are apparently each held responsible for their own bottom line. 

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Michaell said:
    My sister is lookzing at cars and found this: 2008 Lexus RX 350 116,634 miles. Vin is. 2T2GK31U98C052493 listed at 12,995 White with tan interior. Thoughts? This is in San Diego.
    $8k auction, so $11k purchase is all the money, IMHO. But, scrolling through the sales, I see ones with 50k-80k miles for only $3k more, so I question why buy one with so many miles?
    She wants this color combo and it's a budget issue as well. She is taking a new job with just a 1 mile commute. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,647
    She should buy a bike. or get a fitbit and walk it.

out of curiousity, I checked by me. Local guy has 2 RX.

a little older, I think 1st year of that same version, just a few more miles, a lot less money. Love the color, and pretty loaded up.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2004-lexus-rx_330-4dr_suv_awd-used-16023484.html

2 years newer, and next generation body style. But even steeper miles, for just a few bucks more. Do people really spend this kind of money on one with this many miles?

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2010-lexus-rx_350-awd_4dr-used-15890970.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

a little older, I think 1st year of that same version, just a few more miles, a lot less money. Love the color, and pretty loaded up.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2004-lexus-rx_330-4dr_suv_awd-used-16023484.html

2 years newer, and next generation body style. But even steeper miles, for just a few bucks more. Do people really spend this kind of money on one with this many miles?

I'm sure she'll commute by Converse some of the time.

I've given up trying to convince her of the advice given here (plus my own opinions). I just answer her questions and get her the best info I can. Still waiting for a Carfax from @Mr_Shiftright, sent via PM.

She really wants the white over tan color combo, and 3 years of payments around $300/mo. She does have pretty good fiscal discipline, but if she would give a little on the color, she could get a better deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    carpersocarperso Member Posts: 148
    2014 Audi A6 3.0 T
    Premium plus
    Metallic white
    Black interior
    sport, bose, side assist package 19 inch wheels
    New england area
    50k miles.

How does it look like?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,464
    carperso said:

2014 Audi A6 3.0 T
    Premium plus
    Metallic white
    Black interior
    New england area
    50k miles.

How does it look like?

Nice! Drop that sucker since the warranty is up!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I've given up trying to convince her of the advice given here (plus my own opinions). I just answer her questions and get her the best info I can. Still waiting for a Carfax from @Mr_Shiftright, sent via PM.

She really wants the white over tan color combo, and 3 years of payments around $300/mo. She does have pretty good fiscal discipline, but if she would give a little on the color, she could get a better deal.
    for what it is worth, the autocheck shows 2 owners and zero accidents.

• Options
    carperso said:

2014 Audi A6 3.0 T
    Premium plus
    Metallic white
    Black interior
    New england area
    50k miles.

How does it look like?

about $22.5k-$23k.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Thanks for everything, Q!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Michael, I have learned with some of my car "clients" (my SIL being a prime example) that you can probably save your breath. They are going to ignore any practical advice and do what strikes their fancy anyway, no matter how poor a decision it is! So I give my input based on criteria supplied, then say "nice car" when they buy something totally different, and not close to what they said they needed.

• Options
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Thanks for everything, Q!
    no problem

• Options
    stickguy said:

Michael, I have learned with some of my car "clients" (my SIL being a prime example) that you can probably save your breath. They are going to ignore any practical advice and do what strikes their fancy anyway, no matter how poor a decision it is! So I give my input based on criteria supplied, then say "nice car" when they buy something totally different, and not close to what they said they needed.

Thanks for the support, stick. My sister, who I love very much, is a bit of a 'snob' when it comes to what she drives. Here are the cars she's owned over the years:

RX-7
    G20
    330i ZHP
    Odyssey
    Explorer
    Tahoe
    Navigator
    G35 Coupe
    GTI (son #1)
    Mazda 3 (son #2)

At the moment, she is carless, though she has been driving her middle sons Mazda 3 recently. They have 4 drivers but only 3 cars at the moment (G35, GTI and the 3). They are buried on the G35, though that is my BIL's DD and he loves it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2017
    qbrozen said:

105K miles
    1-owner
    Dealer maintained per the schedule with all service records (incl tune-up and timing belt done recently).
    Metro Atlanta area.

The hitch -- Front camshaft is going bad. The car runs just fine but any good mechanic will hear the camshaft clicking if he's paying attention. Dealer says the repair is around $500 parts plus $500-700 labor.

Should we accept any discount for the worn camshaft? I figure dealer can buy parts at cost and his service labor is already covered in his overhead. My view is it really should cost the dealer a fraction of what it would cost me to do the repair, so it really is a moot point. Also, if vehicle goes to auction, will this really matter?

I'm gonna say $8k-$9k. You won't see them cutting you any breaks on the repair. Thing is, most dealerships I have talked to separate sales and service. So when service works on a car for the sales department, they bill the sales dept. They are apparently each held responsible for their own bottom line. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides that, digging into an engine is always risky. The dealer doesn't want to be buried in the repairs. --shifty
  • Options
    My SIL is definitely a snob too. So even though her budget was tight, and she wanted better MPG, she got an RDX instead of a Mazda. More money, missing some features she wanted. But enough brand cache to cover her.

• Options
    carpersocarperso Member Posts: 148
    qbrozen said:

carperso said:

2014 Audi A6 3.0 T
    Premium plus
    Metallic white
    Black interior
    New england area
    50k miles.

How does it look like?

about $22.5k-$23k.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,959
    Maybe she just wanted to copy you!

Im really liking the new MDX (well as much as I can like an SUV).  I want to go test drive one, but I'm sure the Enclave is deeply buried and no chance getting out of that lease early.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    my wife likes the MDX. I probably would not get too much grief if I took the RDX in for service and came home with one of those (outside of course from the new 5 years of payments that went with it!). But, she even said it was on the large size. I would be better off with a more compact one, and getting a nice roof box/bag (I actually have a rack sack, but the RDX does not have roof rails, and I am too cheap to spend the $700+ it costs to get them installed!)

• Options
    Next day the wife and I have a few hours alone I want her to test drive one with me.  We will see how that goes. 

• Options
    the only concern I have about it (though if I was leasing, would not really care too much) is with the 9 speed tranny. Not sure if that has been sorted out or not, and I have never driven one to even know what it is like.

• Options
    also, the Santa Fe (the big one) is also a really nice package. Hey, right across the parking lot!

• Options
    stickguy said:

my wife likes the MDX. I probably would not get too much grief if I took the RDX in for service and came home with one of those (outside of course from the new 5 years of payments that went with it!). But, she even said it was on the large size. I would be better off with a more compact one, and getting a nice roof box/bag (I actually have a rack sack, but the RDX does not have roof rails, and I am too cheap to spend the $700+ it costs to get them installed!)

Does Acura offer 7,500 mile per year leases like MB & Audi?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    did not know any of them did! Could actually work for us (maybe not for a primary car though). Starting to think my Sonata might not have broken 20k miles when it goes back in 9 months and 1 week!

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

Does Acura offer 7,500 mile per year leases like MB & Audi?
    Yes, they do.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Yeah but what's the residual savings 1%.  You are probably looking at less than $10 a month.  I would be hesitant.   I did a 10k on the Elantra but if I had to press it into every day commuting I still wouldn't hit it. 

• Options
    merlion0821merlion0821 Member Posts: 143
    qbrozen said:

Looking for a real world trade value for a 2016 Honda Civic EX-T sedan. Color is Aegean Blue, and the vehicle has 17,300 miles. Bought new in January 2016, non-smoker, 75% highway miles, dealer serviced. Thanks.

$15.5k-$16k

Ended up getting $17K for it. It didn't change anything on the deal I had already worked for the replacement for this car either, so I'm satisfied. The dealer has the trade already posted up on their website at $19,950!
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

qbrozen said:

Looking for a real world trade value for a 2016 Honda Civic EX-T sedan. Color is Aegean Blue, and the vehicle has 17,300 miles. Bought new in January 2016, non-smoker, 75% highway miles, dealer serviced. Thanks.

$15.5k-$16k
    Ended up getting $17K for it. It didn't change anything on the deal I had already worked for the replacement for this car either, so I'm satisfied. The dealer has the trade already posted up on their website at $19,950!

A lot of people out there that value problem-free vehicles. Honda does well in resale.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

Good. Congrats. That is basically what it would cost them in the end if they had to go buy one at auction, pay the fees, ship it, etc. Pretty much the carmax way of buying cars from people (sometimes) is to pay them that full cost up front and eliminate the middle man (the auction house). So it definitely happens, just not all too often.

• Options
    @qbrozen

Can you help out a friend who is looking for a trade-in value of his Dad's 2003 SL 500?

Silver Exterior
    Black Interior
    45,000 miles
    Perfect Inside & Out - This car is a 10/10.
    New Tires
    No AMG Package
    Located in South Florida

The dealer (Mercedes-Benz of Coconut Creek) offered him $8,000
    CarMax offered him $14,000

What do you think?

• Options
    $14K from CARMAX? If he doesn't want to sell privately, I'd take that money and run! Might retail at....what Q? $17K?

• Options
    wow. both prices are crazy on either side of the spectrum. The highest one with similar miles hit $12,500. THAT car will get $15k-$16k retail. I wouldn't even hit it at $14k private party, so he should grab that while the gettin is good!

• Options
    I saw a clean '03 AMG option with about 65K for $16.9K.

• Options
    Thanks guys! He's currently at a different MB dealer (MB of Del Ray Beach) trying to hammer out a deal. I'll let you know the outcome.

• Options
    Well I hope he doesn't leave $6K on the table at the dealer.
  • Options

Well I hope he doesn't leave $6K on the table at the dealer.

Me neither. Neither does my friend who is hoping his Dad will retire soon, but every time he buys a Mercedes, the retirement gets pushed back.

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited January 2017
    henryn said:

Looking for the value of a 2007 Honda Accord LX, 4 cyl w/ 5-speed manual transmission. One owner, silver, with 136,000 miles. Thanks!

I would think this is an excellent candidate for "sell it yourself on Craigslist". I would expect that car (if clean, in good running condition) to sell in one day for $5k.

Except it's a stick with a lot of miles!

Not a good combination for a n Accord! The stick hurts as much as the miles or more.

Plus, it's an Ohio car and it could be showing early signs of rust!

I agree on the 2500-3000 estimate! If you find the right buyer it could retail for 4-4500.00
  • Options

105K miles
    1-owner
    Metro Atlanta area.

Actually, it doesn't cost the dealer " a fraction" of the cost to have work done. The Service Dept typically bills the Sales Dept nearly as much as customer pay. The parts markup isn't nearly what some people think it if and the shop and the Technician doing the job like to get paid for the work they do. I've never heard of a camshaft going out on a Pilot? Did you run it low on oil ? You have a desirable car (with a lot of miles) so I doubt if they would take it to the auction and, yes, if it go's to auction the noisy camshaft WILL matter because unless the place is really noisy the buyers are pretty astute at listening for trouble.
  • Options

qbrozen said:

105K miles
    1-owner
    Metro Atlanta area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides that, digging into an engine is always risky. The dealer doesn't want to be buried in the repairs. --shifty

Oh, yeah...sometimes that "noisy camshaft" can turn into other problems that need to be fixed "while they are in there!"
  • Options
    It's a serious fault, and the discount will probably be substantial.
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    edited February 2017
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

$15.5k-$16k

Hmmm, that's a crazy number when you can get a new 2017 for about 20k + TTL. It seems to hold value much better than the Accord.

• Options
    @qbrozen & @Mr_Shiftright

Thanks for your help with my friend's Dad's SL500.  So he's working with 2 dealerships (Coconut Creek & Del Ray) that are both AUTONATION dealerships.  

Coconut Creek is the dealership that offered him $8K.  Then he went to CARMAX who offered him $14K.  Then it was off to Del Ray.  They initially offered him $12.5, then came up to $13, then said they can't give him a penny more than $13.5.  He showed them the $14K that CARMAX offered him & they agreed to take his trade in at $14K.

now the guy just has to decide on which MB he wants.  He's trying to decide between an E350 Drop Top or a CPO SL.

• Options
    I leased an '04 6-speed V6 Accord EX-L that I was told was worth 50% of new in just 2 years, so keep that in mind.

I see one 6-speed sedan with 100k sold for $4400 at auction.

As for the Civic, isell gave you a good number of $4500.

• Options
    butchbr73butchbr73 Member Posts: 325
    Got 2 cars looking to get a realistic trade in value on, living in Knoxville, TN.

first one is 2007 Honda CR-V EX-L, 4wd. 177k. black with dark interior. roof rack and tow package. fairly clean for the age with the typical scratches, etc... needs no major maintenance at this time.

second is 2014 Lexus IS 250 RWD. 50k miles. Premium package. silver with black guts. newer tires, fairly clean for the mileage/age, typical couple of small scrathes.

How do we look? Neither has been in an accident and/or had body/paint work done.