Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    quicksilver1quicksilver1 Member Posts: 21
    I applied for finance at Honda website. I got an email stating that I was approved but only the dealer can tell me my apr. Why?

Bankston Honda told me that I was approved for 6.8 but I do not trust them as I have a 715 FICO.

Can a dealer fudge the apr rate?
  • Options
    chaffmcchaffmc Member Posts: 4
    We bought a new '06 Odyssey EX-L about 3 weeks ago for $25,800 plus tax, tags, etc. Out the door price was $27,134. No trade-in and we didn't get any of the undercoating, paint protection, extended warranty, etc. It was the only EX-L left on the lot, so we didn't get the color we wanted, but for that price it was hard to pass up. So far everything is great with it, but we have noticed the clunking sound right after starting, once we get to about 12 mph. I read that this is the brakes calibrating...does anyone know for sure this is true?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,466
    Yes.. the dealer can raise the rate, and gets a kickback from the finance company if they write you for a rate above what you qualify for...

Now you know why Honda Finance won't tell you the rate.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean your dealer is marking it up... The only way to really know is to get pre-approved at your bank or credit union, then see if the dealer can beat that rate.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    boss18boss18 Member Posts: 8
    Honda is running special financing thru the end of November... 3.9 for up to 36 months and 4.9 for up to 60 months. I got it with a fico of 750. You're likely qualified. Just tell them you want it.
  • Options
    Hi Guys:

A dealer in Georgia (not sure if I can name names on this site) has offered me $31,695 out the door excluding sales tax for 07 EX-L with NAV and DVD.

They also pulled my report from Honda and I got the 4.9 (so dealer in Texas was lying - I have there name if anyone is interested via email).

So two new questions:

Is this a fair deal? Obviously I'll have to ship the car for $300. Why can't the local knuckleheads just match this price?

Last question: I understand that your trade is deducted from your purchase price before tax is calculated. Does a trade mean just a car or could it be a cash downpayment also?

Thanks.
  • Options
    nfowifenfowife Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up our new Ody yesterday! We got the 07 EX-L with no res or nav, in nimbus gray. Love it! I did all my negotiating via email with a few different dealerships and it made the entire process so much easier. All we had to do yesterday was show up, discuss our trade-in, pay and leave!
    $28,145 including splashguards, fenderwell trim, wheel locks, and cargo tray and all "fees"
    $1008 tax/tag (haven't paid this yet, pay to the tag agency in a few weeks)
    $29153 total out-the-door
  • Options
    swest2004swest2004 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a EX-L with RES and NAV. We need to make a move pretty quick and will probably have a very low value trade in. This board has been great. Any tips on anything else I should include in my quote in terms of accessories?

I just sent out a bunch of emails. This has been SO helpful. I am also in So Cal and was going through Costco but I can do better. I need to get a car in the next couple days, so thanks for all the info.

Now I just have to find the right color, etc for the wife! I will update when I get the deal. I am in the Temecula, CA area.
  • Options
    I wasn't looking for any accessories honestly. When I sent out my initial quote request to multiple dealers, one of them included that in his price so then I used that to get the other dealers to include as well, but they certainly don't "make or break" the vehicle. I do like the cargo tray because it will keep the trunk clean with my putting a stroller back there, or if a grocery spill occurs, or buying plants, etc. since you can take it out and hose it off. Basically I just emailed a bunch of dealers in my area (about 6 within a 1.5 hour drive, however in SoCal you have access to more than I do). After I got initial quotes I then emailed them back with the lowest quote to get someone to beat it, which I emailed to the original lowest quote to beat. It went around and around for a day or 2. We knew the color we wanted and had already test driven and I made it clear I was not coming in until a deal was made. If they didn't have my color I wanted to know how long it would take to get it. Over the Thanksgiving weekend it was hard to get in touch with some of them and I actually offered to the lowest dealer at that point $28300 and she declined. So then I took my lowest price at that point to a totally new dealer (the one most local to me that I test drove at originally) and they gave me the lowest price that I ended up buying at. Just be patient and persistent and be very clear in your emails each time what you are looking for so if you need to print it out and take to another dealer, the deal is clear. Also I didn't discuss my trade in or financing at all until we went to get the car. I had taken my car to carmax to get an appraisal (which is good for 7 days, they'll buy the car from you and cut you a check) so we knew we had that for sure if the dealership wouldn't give us a good deal, but they beat it by $500 so it worked out well for us. We certainly could have gotten more selling it privately but my husband travels for work and I didn't want to deal with showing the car by myself so we just traded it in.
  • Options
    Great information! I am working on it already. I have one quote with the Res (rear entertainment) & Nav for $31580 with Destination charge included. I am trying to work out my tax and license fee.

Also, I don't know the color availability or additional things that may be on the vehicle yet. I sent to about 8-10 dealers and am waiting some more quotes..2 in so far.

Swest
  • Options
    jrlucasjrlucas Member Posts: 7
    I will be ready to purchase the 07 EX-L w/NAV/DVD in cash December 4th.

Should I wait until the last week of December, right before Christmas, or does it not matter?

When do you get the lowest price for December?

I am in NC and have not sent out requests for quotes.

Thanks.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    If you're shopping out of state, try some stores elsewhere (Chicago and Ohio come to mind) to get an idea of how good your Georgia quote is. I know there have been complaints here periodically about relatively high prices in the Atlanta area.

My two cents - why have it shipped? Just fly to wherever and drive it home. I would worry about transport damage and the possibility of a paperwork foul-up on the sale.

"Trade" means just that on the sales tax deduction issue, part of the theory being that you already paid tax on the vehicle that's being traded.
  • Options
    It's hard to say which time period is better - I've done both and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Traditional theory holds that the end of the year is the best time to buy a car since dealers are trying to hit sales goals both for the month and for the year. However, some say the week before Christmas is ideal for buyers since shoppers are spending their time elsewhere and floor traffic is slow.

My suggestion would be that you start seeking quotes about mid-month. You will quickly find out what your market is and be better able to determine your timing.
  • Options
    bigbopper1bigbopper1 Member Posts: 3
    Received this Internet quote today from a Phx dealer - Your price on a new 2007 Honda Odyssey Ex-L is $28,249 and doc is $368.
  • Options
    hondaguy67hondaguy67 Member Posts: 66
    the local knuckleheads as you call them may not want to give their cars away. the price you quoted is under invoice. way under invoice. Not every dealer is willing to go that far especially if they are not a big volume dealer.

as far as your trade goes you only get a tax credit for your trade in. it does not count your cash you put down.
  • Options
    That's the beauty of a free economy and I will vote with my money and not shop the local knuckleheads as I indeed called them.

I got the tax question answered at the county tax office this afternoon.
  • Options
    willem2willem2 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted $32,000 from dealers " off cape " but wanted to buy local so asked Hyannis dealership to match. They came back with $32,200. Decided to take that deal because it is a local dealer. Plus they were VERY low-key.
  • Options
    nmodyownernmodyowner Member Posts: 1
    There is no way we'd have gotten a deal this good without all I learned from all of you. Thank you so much.

Pluswhich I don't think I'm ever going to buy a car any other way from here on out. THis was amazingly easy.

After reading these posts, I contacted Honda dealers all over the place (I live in southern NM, about an hour from El Paso): EP, Albuquerque, Tucson, even John Elway Honda up in Denver. Not everyone wanted to give me competitive bids, but enough did, and I just bounced the El Paso dealers off one another until we hit bottom.

this is the way they worked it out, if I remember right:

I dealt w/Rudolph Honda, and their internet mgr. was really nice and straightforward. (I wish I could give out his name on this forum -- really great guy.)

$27,662 for the car (incl mudguards, cargo tray, mats, wheel locks -- everything but the cargo tray comes standard, as I understand it)
    the rest was TTL, destination, etc. (tax is only 3% down here)

I should note that these guys actually weren't very forthcoming themselves about offering low prices, but every time I gave them a new number to beat, they did.

we also got the 4.9% for 60 months -- which, again, without this forum I'd never have known about.

Thanks, everyone.
  • Options
    Yes major props to the participants of this forum and that gives out the info.

I suspect that a few disgruntled Car Sales type are on here though trying to spoil the conversation.

It's all about saving money.
  • Options
    gouldjbgouldjb Member Posts: 6
    ALL - I joined this purely because I thought the concept was GREAT and I learned a ton prior to buying an Odyssey last night...Thank you!

I'm in the Fairfield County, CT area and wanted the Group to know that I purchased a 2007 Odyssey EX-L WITH Nav & DVD for $32,140. This INCLUDED the cross-bars for the roof rack AS WELL AS the Rubber floor mats (~$400 'value').

Net net: paid ~$125 over 'invoice' and had them throw in the 2 accessories above. I'm happy with the price as I found numerous dealers willing to go to ~$100 over invoice ($32,113) but would NOT add in the accessories.

I paid cash.
  • Options
    fsudreyerfsudreyer Member Posts: 28
    This forum has always proved useful in understanding both prices and pricing trends. The other day, someone posted a price on an Ody EX Cloth 2006 model from Pompano Honda. The price was great so I decided to look on there website. They had 22 (now 21) 2006 Odysseys on the lot. They offered me the same great price of $24,900 including dest and dealer fees. The experience was even better than the price. If you are in the mood to buy below cost, email pompano honda in florida and the internet team will treat you right. Everything was as it was said in the emails and later confirming on the phone. :):)
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone here for sharing their information and thoughts. Here are my results for your knowledge: I am getting an EX-L with NAV and RES in Nimbus Grey with the Olive interior for $31,527. This and other quotes all included destination charge. Our second best quote was $31,580, followed by what I take invoice to be at $32,237.

Included in the van for $31,527 (so far on the phone) is the splash guards, wheel locks, fenderwell trim, trunk liner (maybe). My wife really wants to get the lazy susan featured on the touring model, so I will probably add that. Any other upgrade that you all would suggest when I can still negotiate on it?

Thanks again for all the help! Oh, and the 4.9% finanacing for 48-60 months is good until Dec. 4 according to my guy at the fleet dealership. However, my sales tax sucks at %7.75%.

Please let me know if I am missing an easy upgrade or something! Thanks!

Swest
  • Options
    kris995kris995 Member Posts: 23
    swest2004, your sales tax could be worse. Where I'm at in Washington it's 9.1% (which includes a .3% motor vehicle sales tax). :cry:

Let us know how to get the lazy susan. I thought it wasn't sold separately?
  • Options
    scooby74scooby74 Member Posts: 1
    I got my Silver pearl Odyssey EX-L with RES/NAV + rear camera for backup + all season rubber mats for 31400.00 Destination charges are included in this prices. Got a 4.9 interest rate for 60 months.

I also took an extended 7 year warranty for $775.00

This happened in minnesota.. And I am really happy about the deal and my van.

3 Cheers to this discussion group..
  • Options
    Have you emailed the other 2 dealers with your lowest price to see if they'll beat it? To get the best deal, you should be letting them have a chance to beat your current lowest price (and so on, and so on, until they drop out and you have the lowest price possible). To see the prices on the accessories (including the lazy susan) do a search for collegeparkhonda.com , they have good accessorie prices and the lazy susan is not something that needs to be dealer installed anyhow. Also include the accessories in your emails to the other dealers that you want and ask them their lowest price with them and all fees (excluding TTL).
    We just got a nimbus with the olive and it's beautiful! The olive is really just gray but it is very nice looking!
  • Options
    Small world. I was there this afternoon trying to buy an EX-L with NAV and DVD. We couldn't work out a deal so I'll be buying from out of state. CarsDirect is $26,941 so I think you did okay.
  • Options
    Well before I left I got another offer from another dealer for a further $150 off. I brought that in to the guy I was dealing with and he took that off as well.

I probably could of pushed for MAYBE another $100 or so but I elected to get the coating (plating) package to protect the car inside and out. So overall I got the van for $31,377. After looking at every forum out there and all the bids I got back from dealers, I think that has got to be at their low or very close to the bottom.

PS - I don't have the info handy but somehwere on this or another forum I visited, it gives a number for you to call to add XM radio for an additional year for only $60. So you get the first 90 days and then you get a whole another year for only $60. I go in next week to get the van completely detailed and then coated outside and in. My wife creates a whirlwind of mess in her car and I felt this was the only way the interior would stay alive for 5+ years.

Oh the plating package was not included in the price and cost an additional $500. I hated to add it but realize that the included warranty that comes with it has a solid chance of being used prior to five years. You should see the last car my wife had for 5 years!
    Swest
  • Options
    odywan2007odywan2007 Member Posts: 5
    " quicksilver1 Nov 28, 2006 (7:24 pm)
    Hi Guys:

A dealer in Georgia (not sure if I can name names on this site) has offered me $31,695 out the door excluding sales tax for 07 EX-L with NAV and DVD. "

Quicksilver..

can you give me the name of the dealer from Georgia who is offering the EXL+DVD+NAV for $31695/-

I am in North-DFW area and I am having a hard time with the local dealers.

Thanks
  • Options
    Mike Patton Auto
    1406 Lafayette Pkwy · LaGrange, GA 30240
    ---------------------------------------------------

Done with trying to support local dealer.

Edited to remove phone numbers - against TOS but you can search on eBay for mpauto123
  • Options
    gtogreggtogreg Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my Silver 2007 Ody EX-L with Nav and RES. Really pleased with the van! This is our third Odyssey in 6 years and there are so many improvements in this model over the previous generation. The nav is better than anything I've ever seen before, including high end Lexus', Benz's, Bimmer's, etc... . I also love the XM. First impressions on the 3 mile drive home is that the suspension is much more in tune with the road. Generally feels like a safer car. The internet dept at AutoWest Honda in Fremont treated me well. They've come a long way from the last time I tried to deal with them 3 years ago. They will work a deal that is consistent with the numbers in this thread, whcih is pretty exceptional for Northern CA.
  • Options
    I just wanted to report back and to thank the active participants in the group.

I just bought the 07 Odyssey EX-L with Nav and Dvd for $31,500 at McDavid in Frisco, TX. Wheel lock, mud guard and tray guard and dest. fees. I will pile all the accesories on myself from eBay and stuff. They gave me a fair trade also, not an earthbreaking one but a fair oen none the less and the way Texas tax is figured rewards trades. And I got the 4.9%.

A resounding thanks to the wealth of information on here.
  • Options
    vb1pavb1pa Member Posts: 50
    Hi

So I found some leftovers...and I was hoping to get a break on the price. The internet manager gave me invoice pricing minus 800....and said that Honda is only providing a 500 support for leftovers, and that 300 was coming out of his pocket. (yeahh..OK..plus this is over the phone....)

So the big question is, what is the program on the left overs? And is it national?

And maybe I am dreaming....maybe this is the best price...

Thanks.
  • Options
    jstephens1jstephens1 Member Posts: 38
    Can you please give dealership name. Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry I have no price data but I just thought the comment that money was comming out of his pocket was funny as hell.
  • Options
    He just considers his holdback to be money in his pocket.
  • Options
    jrlucasjrlucas Member Posts: 7
    A friend has a document from "Fighting Chance" that says that December 26, 2006 is the date I need to buy a vehicle.

However, it gives no reasoning for that date.

Am I to assume that pre-Christmas shopping is slow for vehicle purchases?
  • Options
    Go to McDavid in Frisco. Yesterday I had a choice of a white, gray or black for $31,500. I took the Gray so if teh otehr two will work for you then theres no reason they can't sell it for that. That price includes dest, locks, mud guards, rear well mat.
  • Options
    Please post prices on HondaCare and which one is advisable and also places for accessories.

Thanks.
  • Options
    From odyclub.com (if you aren't over there, I'd recommend it once you have your Ody!):
    http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33812
    There is another dealer who also gives deals on the hondacare warranty over there, I think her name is Erica. Both dealers offer very similar pricing and the pricing is far better than what my dealer was charging (IIRC, $1879 for the 7 year HC Warranty at the time of purchase, which I declined).

Accessories:
    http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey.html
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/odysseyaccessories.htm
  • Options
    wabalakwabalak Member Posts: 9
    Ok, I hate Titles like that, but I spent the past weekend doing the email thing back and forth between 6 dealers. The lowest I could get quoted was $28,800 for EX-L (includes destination fee. I haven't actually started the 'in-store' haggling. My problem is I've seen some people on this forum getting in the $27,500 range and I just hate the thought that they could pocket $1300 extra from me.

Here's my calculations (rough).

Factory Hold Back = 3% of Base MSRP
    Dealer Cost = Invoice - 3% Factory Holdback

MSRP = $31,000
    Invoice = $28,000

Dealer Cost = $28,000 - (31,000 * .03) = $27,070

I guess the rule of thumb is to offer them a 5% profit. So...

My Offer = $27, 070 * 1.05 = $28,423.

My opinion is I shouldn't budge on the $28,423. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    One more quick question... Does Honda ever extend their special financing, historically speaking? The 3.9/4.9% rates they are offering now end today... But if there is a chance they could extend it, I might hold out.

Thanks for all you seasoned veterans help!
  • Options
    hondaguy67hondaguy67 Member Posts: 66
    Honda will very very rarely if ever extend an offer they have, be it dealer cash or special financing.

My advice to you is to buy the car if you found the one you like. If you wait you might lose out.
  • Options
    hello,

I GOT HOME MY NEW ODYSSEY exl-res 07 on 02-DEC FROM LUTE RILEY IN TEXAS
    FOR $31700 OTD.
    MY SELLING PRICE WAS 29548 + TTL
    I GOT THE MUD GUARD,WHEEL LOCKS,CARGO TRAY,TINTING ON FRONT WINDOWS.
    ALSO GOT THE 4.9% INTEREST RATE.

HOPE THIS INFO WILL HELP U GUYS.
    ANY COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED.
  • Options
    Wabalak, where are you located? What is the edmunds TMZ pricing for your area? Will none of the other dealers you are emailing with beat the $28800 price? The lowest price I got quoted was 27945 (including fees excluding tax/tag/license). I ended up paying $28145 at a different dealer though, because of timing issues. I personally think you can do better. I did not go into a dealership until I had the price I bought at. I'd email some new dealers as well and see what they can do for you. My starting prices (that I negotiated from) were around $28745 so I think you can do better.
  • Options
    nolechick16nolechick16 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for the best price on the 2007 Touring with DVD and Navigation. The lowest so far is $35,403. Has anyone gotten better? Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm located in Utah.... edmunds TMZ invoice price is $28003 (minus the destination fee which is about $500). And this place is charging $299 'Doc Fees' which really puts the price of the car at $29100 before taxes/tag/license. I guess the worse that can happen is I go in and haggle the price down to <= $28400 or make them give me an EX-L with RES for the same price...

It will actually be kina fun to see their face when I get up and walk out...
  • Options
    jstephens1jstephens1 Member Posts: 38
    Hey Swest2004,

If you locate that number or website for 1 year extension of XM radio service for $60, kindly provide. Thanks!
  • Options
    erik6erik6 Member Posts: 2
    I paid $28,418 out the door (includes lic, title, reg.) for an '07 Odyssey EX-L with mud guards. Could not have done it without this forum. Several bidders via email were $1500 apart. Closest second place got was $28,618.
  • Options
    Yes, please share the info. It sucks that Howard is not on XN though.
  • Options
    I must be in the wrong state. The dealer refused to negotiate.... They wanted $31,500+ for out-the-door.... and wouldn't budge a bit. I told them I wanted $30,000... he left and came back with that $31,500... Not a penny budged.

He also said that his dealership didn't receive any kick back from the factory hold back (3%)... which I find hard to believe. Since they are part of a chain that own multiple Honda dealerships here in Utah, supposedly his dealership never sees any of it. Right...

The fact that some of you are getting this same car for $28k and $29k out-the-door makes me jealous, but happy that some Honda dealerships are consumer-friendly. Any other suggestions now that the email tactics seems to have failed?

I'm tempted to buy an 2005 Touring RES & NAV for $26k (only 15,000 miles) from a private owner I've been talking to.... just to avoid the whole dealer rip off...

What a waste of a weekend... (whine, whine, whine, I know... :) )
  • Options
    what r u looking for exl or exl with res.