Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Postwar Studebakers

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,101
    The only way it may have been roomier is rear-seat headroom, with the squarer roof. The GT is the same 120.5-inch wheelbase as earlier Hawks.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited April 2016
    Here is a Conestoga on eBay now, being sold by the Studebaker National Museum. I've seen the car in their storage area before, but not up-close. It sounds like it looks better in the pics than up-close--as is so often the case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Commander-Conestoga-/231908346318?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35fed089ce:g:3aUAAOSwGYVXCThV&item=231908346318

One thing I like about Studebakers in general, although in the "longer/lower/wider" era this wouldn't have been a benefit, is that they seem like mid-size cars in comparison to most everything else. They had some clunky styling on occasion, but I don't ever think I could call any of their styling 'bloated' or 'chubby'.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    Studebaker never really went for the big curvy pontoon fender look after the war, which helped the cars seem somewhat trim even then. Even the 47-52 models seem clean compared to many competitors. With the Loewy design, they became kind of low slung and modern, and they were able to keep it updated enough to look modern enough, even with the necessary gingerbread of the time. No real dumpy designs come to mind, and like with all others, 1958 was pretty wacky.
    edited April 2016
    I know it's a fixer-upper, but at Auburn coming up is a color and model I always liked--in fact, it's my favorite four-door Studebaker in probably my favorite color of that year. Obviously a repaint, but factory-original (or at least correct) seat and door panel upholstery, and sits as it should. I think there was never a Studebaker built that reminded me more of a 'Benz than the '63 four-doors.

I'll be at South Bend, probably an hour-and-a-half away, when that car is up for auction. I'll be curious what it brings--not much I'm sure.

The term "Limousette" was used in ads that year, but that was never considered a model name, LOL.

http://auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AS16&ID=r0017&Order=alphabetical&feature&collection&grouping&category=vehicles

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Here is a Conestoga on eBay now, being sold by the Studebaker National Museum. I've seen the car in their storage area before, but not up-close. It sounds like it looks better in the pics than up-close--as is so often the case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Commander-Conestoga-/231908346318?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35fed089ce:g:3aUAAOSwGYVXCThV&item=231908346318

One thing I like about Studebakers in general, although in the "longer/lower/wider" era this wouldn't have been a benefit, is that they seem like mid-size cars in comparison to most everything else. They had some clunky styling on occasion, but I don't ever think I could call any of their styling 'bloated' or 'chubby'.

Museum cars are often a bit tired, or suffer from storage.
    edited April 2016
    bhill2 said:

I agree. I'm not fond of the GH styling either and that Packard V8 makes it very nose-heavy. I'd say the GT Hawk is my favorite postwar Studebaker.

The Four Seasons is a lovely and well made car. Many people don't realize that Studebaker made some pretty luxurious cars in the 1930s. It's no Model A, that's for sure. Roll up windows!

Shifty, I agree with you about the GT Hawk, but the GH Hawk only used the Packard engine in 56. Any different feeling about the 57-58?
    When I think of the Golden Hawk, I only think of the Packard-engine cars as true GHs.

Not a big fan of the finned Hawks--I think they look worse with age, whereas the GT Hawk still appeals to the modern eye IMO. You know, some cars are stuck in their era, and some are "timeless".
    edited April 2016
    Best-selling Golden Hawk was the '57. Among Studebaker people, the '58's are desirable too because of the low production number (878). Again though, I think the '56 is best-looking of the Golden Hawks, but speaking only personally, I wouldn't want the headache of the Packard powertrain.

Some time in my life, I'd like to own a '64 Gran Turismo Hawk, with the vinyl half-top, and the floorshift automatic. Dark color, preferably. Designer Brooks Stevens said he redesigned the '62 GT Hawk and Lark lines for about what it cost "to tool a Plymouth door handle", LOL.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472

I know it's a fixer-upper, but at Auburn coming up is a color and model I always liked--in fact, it's my favorite four-door Studebaker in probably my favorite color of that year. Obviously a repaint, but factory-original (or at least correct) seat and door panel upholstery, and sits as it should. I think there was never a Studebaker built that reminded me more of a 'Benz than the '63 four-doors.

I'll be at South Bend, probably an hour-and-a-half away, when that car is up for auction. I'll be curious what it brings--not much I'm sure.

The term "Limousette" was used in ads that year, but that was never considered a model name, LOL.

http://auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AS16&ID=r0017&Order=alphabetical&feature&collection&grouping&category=vehicles

The odd thing is that the shot of the cockpit area looks like the car has overdrive (silver handle next to the hood release) but the listing doesn't state it.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472

bhill2 said:

I agree. I'm not fond of the GH styling either and that Packard V8 makes it very nose-heavy. I'd say the GT Hawk is my favorite postwar Studebaker.

The Four Seasons is a lovely and well made car. Many people don't realize that Studebaker made some pretty luxurious cars in the 1930s. It's no Model A, that's for sure. Roll up windows!

Shifty, I agree with you about the GT Hawk, but the GH Hawk only used the Packard engine in 56. Any different feeling about the 57-58?
    When I think of the Golden Hawk, I only think of the Packard-engine cars as true GHs.

Not a big fan of the finned Hawks--I think they look worse with age, whereas the GT Hawk still appeals to the modern eye IMO. You know, some cars are stuck in their era, and some are "timeless".
    Yeah, I'm with you. The GT Hawk is a beauty.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

bhill2, you are right...that is an overdrive handle. I'm surprised, too, that that's not described in the listing.
    Car looks like it's been repainted, too.
    Yes, for sure...I don't think that even in '63 that was a factory run like that near the serial no. tag, and under the hood too...ick. Amazingly, the seat upholstery is correct for the car. That color was called 'Blue Mist' and at least it's a close match to original.
    edited April 2016
    LOL.

From today's 'AutoBlog'.

I'd love that blue car with a blower!

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/28/qotd-coolest-factory-supercharged-car/
    The powder blue '54 Conestoga wagon on eBay, sold by the Studebaker National Museum, brought $7,600:

edited May 2016
    Dashcam clip from the drive home this morning - from ~ 0:08-0:11 or so in the oncoming lane, there is an early Lark:

https://youtu.be/juiioEaCk5M
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I like those Conestoga wagons.

Fin, all these dash cams - if I didn't know better I' might think you're prepping for the WSP Trooper training program B)
    berri said:

Fin, all these dash cams - if I didn't know better I' might think you're prepping for the WSP Trooper training program B)

That wagon doesn't look too bad. No doubt there's rust to be attended to but it doesn't seem structural---or just fix it up mechanically and drive it as is. These are very simple cars to work on.
    That'd be interesting, I can't imagine the turn signal infractions that I'd issue every day :)
    berri said:

Thanks fin. I had to watch it several times. Looks like a black '59 or '60. Almost like "Where's Waldo?", LOL.
    It looked a lot bigger in person B)
    My GT was a pale greenish-blue. Don't recall the color's name.

My Golden Hawk was.....well, you know....

My '55 President 2D HT was green over white then repainted black/gold (hey, I was young and stupid).

My '51 "bullet nose" was black, with an Edmunds cylinder head ! (have I come full circle?)

I had posted about this sort-of rough '63 Cruiser, my favorite four-door Studebaker due to the roofline and the broadcloth interior when so-ordered (this one does not have that trim level interior). Sold for $5,500.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

My '55 President 2D HT was green over white then repainted black/gold (hey, I was young and stupid).

My '51 "bullet nose" was black, with an Edmunds cylinder head ! (have I come full circle?)

Edmunds made cylinder heads??

I had posted about this sort-of rough '63 Cruiser, my favorite four-door Studebaker due to the roofline and the broadcloth interior when so-ordered (this one does not have that trim level interior). Sold for $5,500.

Doesn't look so rough to me, compared to the junk I have to look at most of the time.
    edited May 2016

Yep.

http://www.henryjcars.com/hjc19/ebay/edmondshead/alhead.html

edited May 2016
    Rough repaint, underhood almost unacceptable to me--I guess I'd just never open the hood anywhere but the mechanic's, LOL.

Yep.

http://www.henryjcars.com/hjc19/ebay/edmondshead/alhead.html

Interesting! Talk about a rare find! An Edmunds head for a Henry J.

I once had a used car lot want to trade me a Henry J in good running order for a Citizen's Band Radio I had. I passed!

In the 50's Sears Roebuck sold Henry J's. They named them Allstates!
    I once had a used car lot want to trade me a Henry J in good running order for a Citizen's Band Radio

Breaker, breaker good buddy isell B)
    I went to an estate sale a few weeks ago and bought a Studebaker President:

A Dinky Studebaker President, to be exact, in a lot of several other diecast cars. Couldn't pass it up (although I am going to sell it soon).
    That's a '57. That's pretty good detail and scale on the car. Thanks for posting.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    This may have been mentioned before, there is a 59 (?) Lark blue 4 door that is driven by Sol in the Netflix series of Grace and Frankie.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

That model isn't bad for 1:43 scale of its age, produced between 1958-63. Dinky also had a few other Studes and a Packardbaker.
    The Packardbaker was probably fairly easy for them to make--like the real car--because it's so close to the Studebaker President! ;)

sda, thanks, I wasn't aware of that although we have Netflix, thanks to my daughters signing us up for it before they went to college, LOL. I'll have to check it out.
    edited May 2016
    Yep, it was an easy car to make based on the Stude, just like the real thing:

Too bad that particular example is painted like a Yellow Cab, although I doubt any real '57 Packard Clippers saw taxi duty!
    edited May 2016
    Funny, the thought of a Packard taxi reminded me of a classic Simpsons episode (set in Cuba):

Maybe the most iconic old diecast Stude might be the Dinky Hawk:

Corgi also had a nice one:

Studebakers seem to have been relatively well-received in the UK and Europe, probably due to their more reasonable size. There were several diecast toys of period cars.

Thanks much for posting, fin. I only have the Matchbox Wagonaire and a "Corgi Junior" Wagonaire camera car, and a Dinky '58 Golden Hawk my sister bought me for Christmas maybe a decade ago.

I wish Gran Turismo Hawks were more represented in toys, but alas, not. I'd love a Franklin Mint or Danbury Mint one. I think if they were going to do one, it would've been out already.

Very nice '62; I've not seen that one before. Decent interior seat detail from what I can see, too.
    That's by "Minimarque", a high end 1:43 maker. Nice, and pricey, probably won't find one under $200.
    My buddy who lives on Maui is considering this.

Any thoughts from the experts?

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/5530539472.html

I'm more in tune with '60's Studes, but I have known people who have loved their '55's.

A couple things give me pause, from the ad and the pics. To me, for $7,500 it ought to run. Pretty light on description of mechanical condition! Plus, the right side looks like it needs some rocker work and possibly even worse, I think I'm seeing rust at the bottom of the right rear quarter. If you can see that, I wonder what you can't see. While those quarter panels, NOS, are out there, they're getting hard to find--my brother-in-law bought a NOS pair for $600 I think, probably almost a decade ago.

I'd require more description, which your friend would hopefully get by contacting the seller, but I would definitely have someone in the Studebaker Drivers' Club who lives nearby inspect it (and I know there is at least one as I remember seeing his posts on the S.D.C. forum).
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure which island it is on but for some reason cars on Maui (and toolboxes!) seem to rust a whole lot more than cars do on Oahu! to me, it seems like 15,000 out to buy a very nice one and it'll take more than 7500.00 to make this one fairly nice.

edited May 2016
    Here's an interesting Studebaker Transtar pickup. Looks like they did a great restoration job on a very rare truck (just over 11,000 built) , but IMHO the asking price is bat-guano crazy:

http://www.arnoldclassiccars.com/5936.html

These had a huge bed and thus more volume capacity than any other 1/2 ton of the time.

I can't see a price on that link.

That's a really nice truck and although that body started with the '49 model year, I always liked the vertical fiberglass grille they started using on the '57's.

That bed was double-walled and lacked a rolled edge like most everything else. When that cab came out it was considered somewhat modern as the running board (step) was inside the door. The instruments were serviceable from under the hood, somewhat unusual though not a real big deal of course.
    Just saw that Alan Young, who was the main guy on the old TV series Mr. Ed about the talking horse died. He was 96! I remember that show was sponsored by Studebaker and featured their vehicles. It was fairly popular, even in reruns, and may have helped keep Studebaker selling in its latter days.

I can't see a price on that link.

That's a really nice truck and although that body started with the '49 model year, I always liked the vertical fiberglass grille they started using on the '57's.

That bed was double-walled and lacked a rolled edge like most everything else. When that cab came out it was considered somewhat modern as the running board (step) was inside the door. The instruments were serviceable from under the hood, somewhat unusual though not a real big deal of course.

Asking $65,000.
    Yikes, crazy.

I hadn't heard about Alan Young. He spoke at the Studebaker Drivers' Club international meet aboard the Queen Mary maybe 20 years back.

Anyone who ever met him said he was a nice guy.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    uplanderguy, I really appreciate your discussion and knowledge about Studebakers. I always liked the Hawk and Avanti, but never paid much attention to them otherwise. What I didn't know...keep the interesting bits coming!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav