Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    chetjchetj Member Posts: 324
    i would say paying $28000.00 for camrys and accords when you can get similar cars like a ford fusion, malibu or altima for thousands less is definitely a premium...hyundai makes very good midsize cars too for less money but it doesnt say honda or toyota on it ...i saw a 2006 v6 ford taurus still under factory warranty with power windows for 9995.00 in NH....i would invest the 18k i saved on camry
  • Options
    mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    A few issues with your asssesment. any Hyundai will lose as musch as 62% of its value in 2 years. In addition, u can not even name the number os problems that a Hyundai, GMC, Ford will give u. I have seen this pattern because i drive govt vehicles which are GMC/Ford; and it's unbelievable how many times will literally leave u on the streets and will be in the shop for almost any reason.
    Now altima's are nissan. The issues that i see with the car is that although looks better on the outside than the camry (my opinion) the base model does not give as much as the base model camry, any options mp3, auto lights, steering mounted audio, etc (which are standard in the camry)will be part of a package that u may not need; u can not pick the individual. The seats and interior seem too cheap, compared to the camry and even the old/current accord (hard plastic and cheap clothe). plus it the base model costs over 1000 more than the camry and will depreciate from 600-1200 from the camry/honda base models. The only balance on the equation is the current APR 0.7% for 36 mo and that even in NJ i have been quoted 950 below invoice without even asking. other than that.... i don't see the point.

By the way, someone was asking when the best deals in camry's are comming. my answer without any doubts is "this fall." when the new and redesigned 2008 honda accord will be available

Plus the 07 accords will be 1600-2000 below invoice
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I agree that a Hyundai will depreciate faster than either a Toyota or Honda but for folks who tend to keep their cars long term that isn't a factor in their decision. As to the quality of Ford and Chevy their pickup's hold up quite well. Bottom line folks are going to buy what best suits their needs.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I see what you mean when you say it's a "premium". Similar cars, yes, 4 doors, rubber tires, an engine, I guess they are indeed similar. You can even get them in the same colors. I guess with this logic I would consider the Camry a "bargan" compared to a Lexus or my previous Infiniti FX45.

If a car is a car then I'd go for the cheapest thing around. Perhaps you once owned a Yugo? I thought I've been seeing a lot of folks on this board paying less than $20,000 for stripped models. I'd consider that competitive and not a premium.

There are all kind of "factory offical" cars or off lease vehicles out there at bargan prices. Heck you can get a Lincoln for less than $30,000. Unfortunately it's a fact of life that cars depreciate and a used car is probably always a better "deal", especially if you're just interested in a basic transportation value.
  • Options
    crislenahcrislenah Member Posts: 3
    Hey Blownalcohol,

What model camry is the deal you were quoted and where? Thank you for all your help.
  • Options
    gman8agman8a Member Posts: 3
    Here is a work sheet I made after buying a Camry LE 4 Cylinder. I got ripped, but maybe it will help others.
    Note: Use a mono-space font to correctly view this worksheet.

2007 Camry LE 4 Cyc
    ==================================================
    Invoice Base MSRP:* $ 20975
    Destination & Handling:** $ 620
    Carpet/Trunk Mat Set (CF) $ 199
    --------------------------------------------------
    Total Sticker $ 21794
    Dealer Incentive -1294
    Sub Total 20500
    Dealer Documentation Fee 399
    -----
    Auto sale price (to me) 20899
    CT tax at 6 percent 1254
    Total price with CT Tax 22152.94
    CT License transfer fee 85.00
    Total price w/Tax an Licence 22237.94

Dealer Profit
    Invoice yahoo.com auto 18771
    Dealer Hold back -420 (2% of MSRP)
    Destination & Handling:** 620
    Floor Mats 200 (or $100 cost)
    Dealer cost of car 19171

Auto sale price to me 20899
    Dealer cost of car -19171
    Total Dealer Profit 1728

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dealer profit as a percentage of dealer cost
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Camry: 1728 / 19171 = 9.0%

Generally always work off invoice price.
    A good deal is say 700 over invoice plus fees.
    You must always know what you want to paid when walking into a dealer, otherwise they will take you for a ride. I learned the hard way as 9.0% profit is too high. Remember the dealer will always get the hidden "hold back" amount back from the manufacturer.

Quick example:
    --------------
    18771 (invoice)
    700 (dealer over invoice)
    300 (dealer fees)
    ======
    $19771 price to customer.

Dealer profit as a percentage of dealer cost:
    ---------------------------------------------
    19771 Price to customer
    -19171 Dealer cost (see worksheet to compute)
    =====================================
    600 Total dealer profit

600/19171 = 3.1% Ummmm seems low profit
  • Options
    razer01razer01 Member Posts: 9
    I am in Texas and I got quoted the following for a new Camry CE automatic.
    MSRP: 20,195
    Dealer Invoice: 19,165
    My Price:18,565
    Plus 6.25% tax and 285.50 for title and license fees gives a grand total of $20,010.80. This is without negotiating and please tell me if this is a good deal or if it can be lower. This quote came from Vandergriff Toyota if that makes any difference.
  • Options
    ldowney80ldowney80 Member Posts: 3
    I had been shopping for a TL, G35X, IS350, then Altima, Accord and Camry for the last 2 months. I only fell in love with the Lexus, but it seemed over priced and lacked some features I wanted. I decided the Infinity was the best deal where I live.

Last Thursday I saw an announcement that a Toyota dealership on the other end of town was in desparate need of additional storage space for their inventory of new cars and they were willing to deal Friday night anbd Saturday. I called to make sure they had the models I was interested in and made an appointment for the next afternoon. This was before the official sale began. I paid $40 for 5 dealer invoice quotes of the cars I was looking for. I met my salesman and after some discussion I signed an offer for $380 over invoice. I was happy, the sales manager seemed happy, my salesman feigned disbelief. I picked it up last night but fell in love with it tonight. $17k less than the Infinity.
  • Options
    gman8agman8a Member Posts: 3
    Dealer cost
    --------------------
    $17860
    -457 holdback
    600 destination (THIS MAY ME LESS IN YOUR AREA)
    100 floor mats
    ---------------

Customer Cost
    ----------------------
    17,860 (yahoo invoice)
    400 (dealer over invoice)
    300 (dealer fees)
    ======
    $18560 price to customer.

Dealer profit as a percentage of dealer cost:
    ---------------------------------------------
    18560 Price to customer
    -18103 Dealer cost (see worksheet to compute)
    =====================================
    -450 Total dealer profit

DEALER IS SELLING CAR AT LOSE IT SEEMS
    UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

600/19171 = 3.1% Ummmm seems low profit
  • Options
    any of those cars i mentioned i would buy before a camry because i am sure there would be a significant difference in price....camry competes with the fusion, malibu , accord and altima, not the lexus or infiniti which are luxury cars..it is a midsize sedan so my comparison( to fusion and malibu) was valid...GM and ford feel the same unless you know something they dont
  • Options
    no doubt toyotas and accords hold their value but if you keep it for a long time like me that doesnt matter...i have always had good luck w/ my new american cars and i travel 25 k a year...i love my new ford focus, it is very roomy and i am 6-3...and i dont like buying asian products if possible...yes i know camry and accord, tundra, tacoma, corolla are at least assmebled here...avalon too...civic in ontario w/ new plant to open in indiana..most honda engines are made in usa...i wonder how many people know that toyota matrix they bought is the same car as a pontiac vibe and they are both assembled in NUMMI, a california plant...if it says toyota on it, pay the extra 4 thousand
  • Options
    vlapintavlapinta Member Posts: 23
    I purchased an 07 Camry XLE w Leather, Heated seats, tranction control, wheel locks, carpeted mats and smart key,MSRP $30,400 for $27,000 plus the tax and registration.
    I also got lifetime (w the car), oil changes.
    I think I did well and I love my new car! A special thanks to all who helped me through the buying process.

Vicki
  • Options
    Congratulations, sounds like a great deal. What dealer did u get it from. I am from NJ too. Was there any special financing
  • Options
    Sorry, chetj, but I think you're blowing smoke now (or maybe inhaling?)

I did a quick check on Edmunds.com pricing and a similarly equipped comparison (auto, stability, 16" aluminum wheels and antilock)with a Vibe and a Matrix and got this:

Vibe
    MSRP 19,655
    Invoice 18,456
    TMV 19,200
    Currently there is a 1000 rebate getting the TMV to $18,200

Matrix
    MSRP 18260
    Invoice 16,836
    TMV 17,645

Now I may have messed up somewhere, but saying the Matrix is $4000 more than the Vibe when Edmunds shows it as less seems like somewhat of an exaggeration on your part.

As for your Focus, great small car. I looked and a fully loaded one was over $20,000. Well I'll take my fully loaded TCH anyday and I only have your $4000 premium in my midsize car that blows the doors off your Focus in fuel effeciency, not to mention the size and comfort.
  • Options
    Just curious. Why are you so interested in posting (inccorrect)negative comments about the pricing of camry's and Accords on a TOYOTA PRICING THREAD? Is there no activity on the Ford threads? Perhaps you're sorry you didn't pay the premium for a Camry and you're just trying to convince yourself?
  • Options
    ccmikeccmike Member Posts: 2
    SE V6 with Leather Package, Mats, and Lip Spoiler
    MSRP - 27,153 (Including Destination)

I paid - 24,280 (Invoice $24,050) - $230 over invoice

I called up the dealership here in the Atlanta area (Cobb County Toyota) and asked for the internet sales manager. I gave him the number above that I was willing to pay and within 45 seconds he said we can do this. I did call on 5/31 (i.e. end of the month and did buy my 02 Camry SE from them as well....which I mentioned). The only negotiation was the trade in on my 02 SE V6. I wanted another $500 but I thought they were being very fair (It had a few cosmetic dents, over 100k miles and some ECT issues - which didn't act up on the test drive). The phone conversation took less than 3 minutes and the whole deal once I got in the dealership was done in 30 minutes, including the used car manager's test drive. I did it with him, which I recommend. So, I got the car for 17,980 plus taxes and title. The financing took a little bit longer because I was putting in my business's name but I was out 90 minutes after walking in. I think the dealership was professional, courteous and seemed to want to re-earn my business as a return customer. Just as note the best deal I could get from another delarership was $2500 dollars higher (I think they thought I was buying on emotion).

Please give me any feed back you might have. All in all, I think it was a win-win deal.
  • Options
    they are overpriced...to me at least..just look at used car prices...is there a 2006 v6 camry with options for 10k?...probably not and yet i have seen 06 tauruses for that price...my mom was in the market for a camry and i told her save the $6000 and buy the ford...a corolla like my new focus is a minimum 13k, my focus was 9795...i saw a 2000 civic for "only" 9995...a 07 corolla w/ power windows and manual, $22, 000.00!...with 3,000 miles on it...am i really exaggerating that you pay thousands more for hondas and toyotas for the most part?...and no i dont regret buying a ford...and i would never buy a toyota even though they are very good cars
  • Options
    they are overpriced...to me at least..just look at used car prices

OK, I give up. You're arguing the value of new car prices based on the fact that the ones that depreciate the most are bargains the second year. You're probably right for those that buy one year old cars and drive them till they are dead. You're giving Toyota and Honda a thumbs down because they actually hold their value.

However that's arguing apples and oranges as this is a new car price thread (for Toyota's). For new car buyers Toyota and Honda are top picks because they do hold their value and there are still enough people out there wuilling to pay for them used. For used car buyers, yes 1 year old Ford and GM's that have already lost 50% of their value are indeed great buys. I'm not sure though GM or FORD would want to use your logic as a marketing ploy.

Not sure what you have agains Asian cars. The war ended a long time ago and this country is the one that helped rebuild them in the business of being industrial giants. Our post WW2 plan worked extreemly well.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Let's stick to Camry pricing please..

There are plenty of other discussions to compare different automobiles.. this isn't the place.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I purchased the car from Gateway Toyota in Toms River. I waited till 5/31, the end of the month and called.

Vicki
  • Options
    i dont understand why people would pay so much for a new camry,( in comparison to cars to me that are mostly competitive) but that is their business...we helped japan, but our complacency definitely hurt us...alright, we will we buy what we want and good luck to vicki on her new camry...not that she will need luck for a camry to run...my bro inlaw changed his oil every 25 k religiously on his camry and it still runs at 175000 miles although a little louder haha...he did the annual oil change on his subaru too till engine pretty much died at 235, 000 miles...dont understand why people do that to their cars but i know he isnt the only one
  • Options
    I feel everyone is looking for something differant. To some a car is a means of transportation and they look for something they like that has the options they want and they buy it. I looked at several 07 cars and chose what was right for me. I was looking for a semi luxery car with certain options that looked good to me. I didn't want to pay more than $30,000. I wanted leather, heated seats, sunroof, and a reliable, safe car. I looked at the Saturn Aura first. I did not like the way it drove and it seemed narrow inside to me. It has a lot of greart options that are included. I looked at the Honda Accord but I didn't get the same "wow" I felt when I sat and drove the Camry. I have settled in the past to purchase my Tahoe without leather but this time I reasearched and knew what I was looking for and what I could afford. Camry was the answer for me. Again I will say there are many cars out there and that is why they all sell. Everyone is looking for something differant. Good Luck to all with their purchase.
    I love my new car!
  • Options
    kannikanwokannikanwo Member Posts: 19
    I have seen advertisements for the 2007 Camry Hybrid equipped the way I want for invoice. But given that we are so close to when the next model year cars are released, does it make more sense to wait for the 2008s? Thanks.
  • Options
    i live in NH and my sister has heated seats and that feels great in the winter...that would seem like a worthy option for me
  • Options
    trdguy2001trdguy2001 Member Posts: 3
    Only options are moonroof package and rear spoiler and floor mats. This is in Houston TX. I thought I was getting a steal but after seeing the TMV for my same vehicle I guess it's average. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply
  • Options
    I was in the same position you were in last week. It is a tough call. You probably won't see the 08 for invoice when it comes out, and there probably will be a price increase. On the other hand the 07 will be a year older.
    I made the decision to buy the 07 because I wanted the car now so I could use it over the summer. I got a great price so I jumped on it. I keep my cars a long time so in the long run the 07 vs the 08 wouldn't really be a facor for me. Godd Luck with your decision!
    Vicki
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Vicki,

By any chance, did you get a price from Lakewood Toyota?
  • Options
    Yes, they gave me $200 over invoice through my Costco card but I did better from Gateway. I got the car for invoice.I also wanted to buy from Gateway because they are less than 5 minutes from my house and they give you free oil changes for the life of the car.
    Vicki
  • Options
    stryker2stryker2 Member Posts: 7
    Picked up my Barcelona Red TCH on Friday with leather, moonroof, heated seats/outside mirrors, NAV, XM Radio, Mats and a full tank of gas for $28,840 for an out the door price including the SET upcharge, $389 document fee and $16.50 title fee.

After 10 weeks of waiting, it was great to have get all the options I wanted.

This car rocks!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new TCH!

Vicki
  • Options
    amirkamirk Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I am interested in getting XLE V4 with leather package and heated front seats (which from what i know is mandatory if you get leather package). The invoice price for this is $23,973 on edmunds. My question is has anyone been able to get this exact car for anything less than Invoice?
  • Options
    buddahluvrbuddahluvr Member Posts: 3
    If you do not believe them ask to see the invoice. It will be printed at the bottom and labled TDA
  • Options
    I am looking for this car for my grandmother. I am in Southern California. So far my lowest quote is roughly 18,300.00 Has anyone seen the car go for less?

Ashley
  • Options
    raleighprraleighpr Member Posts: 9
    just bought a 4 cyl Se camry in magnetic grey with moonroof spoiler and mats as well. After ploying online sales quotes back and forth between 4 dealers, I was able to get it for 22,700 out the door after taxes tags and everything. :)
  • Options
    chromatin317chromatin317 Member Posts: 14
    I've seen ads in LA times have prices 17977 if u search this forum u could see some people bought the car for around that price around 18000 so that is my target when i negotiate
  • Options
    do you know what dealer that was?
  • Options
    this is from another site
    "
    Claremont Toyota in CA has a HUGE sale this weekend. 50 Camry LE's 4 cyl at this price (fixed price!): $17,977. Nice bonus: Mats (CF) included and free oil changes for life! Check the Sat Jan 27 LA Times for Ad.

We bought a Silver LE. Our breakdown:
    - 17,977 LE Automatic (with CF mats)
    - 55 Doc Fees
    - 1487.64 Tax
    - 116 Lic Fees
    - 64 Reg
    - 8.75 CA Tire fees (?)

Total: $19708.39 out the door - well below invoice!
    BTW, ours is made in Japan (VIN starts with "J"). Noticed after we bought it. Most were made in US (VIN starts with "1"). Good luck to all!

Update (1/29): This was not an AD for Claremont! We bought the car as stated above. 70 miles on the car now and it runs very well. Slight Correction: the AD may have been in Saturday's LA Times (not Fri) - I've corrected the date above. I don't know if the deal is still valid - call Claremont Toyota and ask them.

Update (5/18): Power Toyota in Cerritos CA has 25 Camry LE Autos for $17,988 and 2.9% for 36 months (Fri 5/18/07 LA Times)
    "
  • Options
    i was bored and went to the library to check old LA times and almost every week there is one dealer offering prices around 18000 for LE 17000 for CE hope that helps in
  • Options
    hoosieriusbhoosieriusb Member Posts: 10
    I will wait for the 2008 model, because I have a rule never to buy the first year of a model change - even if it doesn't make sense. Besides, I have always owned even-year cars, so it's kind of like a superstition.

I have not heard anyone give a reasonable estimate of when the 2008 Camry Hybrids will be out. Perhaps someone can remember when the 2006, 2005, 2004, etc. came out? Any information that might narrow down a time frame as to when the 2008 will come out would be appreciated. Needless to say, I'm anxious to get my Camry Hybrid!

If you have any educated guesses on when the 2008 will come out please post. Last time I posted, I got no response, so I'm offering FREE LIFETIME PIZZA* for anyone who responds.

FREE LIFETIME PIZZA*

*valid only for those residing on Mars
  • Options
    pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    I would like to know this as well. As someone who has gotten burned buying a first model year vehicle, waiting for the second year works for me.
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    If you might change your car in less than 4 years or so, I suggest to get an '08. I'm not sure about the Hybrids but we should be able to get around invoice for a regular '08.

I think an '08 might be out around Aug. (This is just my guess).
  • Options
    devy1devy1 Member Posts: 14
    Where did you buy the TCH OTD for $28,840. Does it include tax? Thanks
  • Options
    olddog7olddog7 Member Posts: 23
    to buddahalvr: I bought my Camry LE for 17,988 from Power Toyota in Cerritos. They were pretty good and didn't give me any hassle when I didn't want any of their upgrades( ie: warranty, paint sealent, gap ins., etc)It was one of the "25" at that price. But darn it, I didn't get the lifetime oil changes!! Then again I live 100 miles from there anyway! And I bought an extended warranty from Kansas, 7 yr/100k 0 deductible for way less then they were offering.
  • Options
    xplyboyxplyboy Member Posts: 5
    Hi, new here and just wanted to let you know, I have a deal going on(put $500 down cause the car will be in next week) for this same car in Houston, Tx as well. Here are my details:

2007 se camry v4
    magnetic grey
    Leather seats
    Moonroof
    Spoiler
    Mats
    Window Tint
    Nightvision rear mirror
    vehicle shield package

$25,025.00 walk out out the door.

I believe it was $23,395 + TTL which ends up

$25,025.00 walk out.

For everyone else, Houston tax rate for vehicles is 6.25%.
    Not sure if you need more info but is that a good deal?

Thank you
  • Options
    timmushtimmush Member Posts: 10
    :D Hi everyone, I am going to write about my buying experience from start to finish but unfortunatlely..it is not finished. I am still waiting for them to pay off my lease (it has been a week). I will let you know.

Muller Toyota - route 31, nj , new jersey.
  • Options
    trdguy2001trdguy2001 Member Posts: 3
    I didn't get the last 3 options you listed or leather. But our difference is $976 dollars. So I guess if those 4 things amount to more than that, which i am sure they do then I think you got a good deal. I bought it at DON MCGill. Don't know what your credit is but it they are offering 5.95% for camry's right now @ 60 months. We almost got that color too but decided on white because we have not seen very many of those SE wise. Good Luck!
  • Options
    mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would make the price of the car alone about 26000.00 ...about 5000 off msrp.....
  • Options
    xplyboyxplyboy Member Posts: 5
    Thank you. yes, that's what they're offering me too. 5.9% I'm getting it at Sterling McCall.
  • Options
    stryker2stryker2 Member Posts: 7
    I bought it at Jay Toyota in Columbus, Georgia.

It did not include tax.