Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please don't post in ALL CAPS if you can avoid it. It is hard to read and most other community members will ignore your posts for that reason---it annoys people apparently, as it is interpreted as SHOUTING!

thanks

Shiftright your Host
  • Options
    roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    The Subaru Forester board averages about 10 posts in 2 days. This board has 10 posts for the WHOLE YEAR ! Boy, you guys are really pumped !

Let's hear some chatter out there. The good , the bad, the ugly.....it doesn't matter.

C'mon, what's more exciting, a Forester or a G35 ??
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Well, the Forester just had a recent remodeling right? Like last year? Whereas the G35 coupe came out... maybe three years ago?
  • Options
    True enough! Take as an example the Chrysler 300M
    which came out in ~Apr. '99. By Apr. 2002 there
    were 20,000 posts . True , Chrysler sold alot more 300M's compared to the G35's that have been sold.
    Those 300M owners were dedicated and hardcore.
    They would even talk for days about what kind of wax to use or what kind of oil to use.

Point is, for the G35 being such a great car,for some reason, owners just aren't talking about it anymore.
  • Options
    scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    maybe the G35 Coupe owners are all out driving. :)
  • Options
    newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Can anybody here tell me how this G35 Coupe handles in foul weather as per say snow??

I know that it has standard all season tires but i live in New York and we get a couple of snow storms a year.

I really want to buy this car but im somewhat hesitant with regard to the rear wheel drive but the all season tires should help somewhat??
  • Options
    sysadmin1sysadmin1 Member Posts: 122
    My two cents....

I have now driven in two small snow storms with my 05 Sedan 6MT. It came with the Turanza R33 "Grand Touring Summer" tires on it. To be honest I was a little worried, since they get horrible reviews on tire rack, and are not meant for snow. Anyway, I've been driving in MA and southern NH for 17 years. We (hopefully) know how to drive in snow up here. I took my time, kept the revs low so as not to induce any extra wheelspin and stayed alert of my surroundings. Stay away from snow covered hills at stoplights, let the VDC and traction control cover you should anything happen and again, drive sensibly.

The car has been fine. If I goose it or push it too hard, yes, it will try to slide or spin.

Just takes common sense.
  • Options
    raveninkravenink Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I've been browsing around this forum some and am really impressed with the knowledge of many of the posters here. Today I went to a dealership and drove a G35 coupe for the first time and I am in love. The dealer mentioned that he had a new 2004 that he would be able to give me a better deal on than on an 05, and since a G35 is at the upper end of cars I can afford this sounded pretty exciting. I looked around at some of the other dealers and there are at least 2 other new 04 G35 coupes at other dealers as well. He and I haven't started to talk numbers yet, so I thought I would get some advice from all of you. What is a fair price to pay for a new 2004 G35 automatic coupe with the premium package(power seats, bose stereo (bleh), sunroof)?

I've taken a look at edmunds.com and kbb.com and KBB listed the invoice price as $29,840 and the invoice on the premium package as being $1,939. Edmunds listed only the 2005 in the new category and had $29,937 for the base invoice and then 2,112 for the invoice on the premium package. I'm hoping that since it is an 04 I will be able to talk the dealer down a fair bit. BTW, this is in Atlanta.

Thanks for all of your help!!
  • Options
    nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    If they won't give you a good deal on a 2004 G35c then just get a 2005 one then. Either way you should get the better deal or lower price on the 2004.
  • Options
    sreddysreddy Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2005 coupe auto/prem/wheels and paid around $800 over invoice. For a 2004, I bet you can get it at invoice or less. I'd start the negotiations at $500-1000 less invoice and see what happens. Good Luck!
  • Options
    gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Although I would think you should get a better price with the 04, the difference might not be as great as you'd think, due to the G35coupe having one of the lowest depreciation rates out of all vehicles.
  • Options
    will42will42 Member Posts: 21
    Did you compare the interior of the 04 with the 05? Also, they fixed the brake dust problem with the 05, and the split second lag when accelerating hard. I haven't tried this yet, it doesn't have the break-in miles done. I traded my 04 coupe for a 05 for the improvements. They made a nice car a little nicer.
  • Options
    wlhuangwlhuang Member Posts: 4
    I just took delivery of a 2005 6mt coupe last week for $600 under invoice...but of course this was with VPP pricing. The coupes sell themselves so look to pay close to MSRP if you can't secure VPP pricing.

As for 04 vs 05...I wanted an 04 but wound up going w/ the 05 as the 05 interior is a lot more refined than the 04. The 05 has a telescopic wheel, softer/higher quality leather, illuminated steering wheel controls, sharp orange stiching on the wheel, drilled aluminum pedals, MP3 comp audio, and most importantly, not as many interior rattling problems prevalent w/ the 03 and 04s.

Other things to consider include more HP (but less torque), nicer wheels, and no headache-causing/screeching Brembos.

Get the 05 and enjoy!
  • Options
    g35mt6g35mt6 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone explain the REV light in the 6M 2005? Mine is always on. I spend 2 hours going through the literature on the vehicle last night trying to find any information, the owners manual doesnt mention it.

The dealer said that it would change color with the transmission temp; however, mine is always orange, never flashes or turns red.

any insight?
  • Options
    marcpotashmarcpotash Member Posts: 6
    It is set by you to let you know if you are approaching the engine RPM's that you do not want to exceed.
  • Options
    1962novice1962novice Member Posts: 2
    What is VPP pricing and how do you apply for it?
  • Options
    sysadmin1sysadmin1 Member Posts: 122
    HAHA...the rev light is kind of a joke...

I felt/wondered the same thing. It is always there staring you in the face.REV....there is a little red box under the words REV that lights up when you get close to the pre-set limit. It has nothing to do with transmission temp or anything else. It is the one thing about my 05 6MT seddan that bugs me.

If you havent seen the square red light under the words REV either flash or go solid, then it is probably set real high so it never turns on. It is very easy to check.

Hit the trip meter button twice and you should see a number. You will see trip a, then trip b, then a number...probably 8000 or something. If you press now and hold for a few seconds it will start to flash. Now just keep tapping the button to change the number. It will start flashing the red light below REV around 500rpm before your preset limit and then go solid once you hit it. Once you decide what you set it at let go for a few second and it will stop flashing and you can hit the trip button to get back to trip a or b.

I wish it made an audible sound liek the wrx STi does. I can just see mine flashing out the corner of my eye when driving. I set mine to 4500 to be a reminder to keep it under the 4000 limit.

FYI
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    VPP is a program for Nissan employees and employees of their associates:

http://www.insidenissan.com/vpp/nissan/index.html
  • Options
    1962novice1962novice Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply concerning the VPP program.
  • Options
    lewiswlewisw Member Posts: 16
    I would say go for the '05. I have the '04coupe, bought in October '04,7800 miles, and am happy with it, but thinking about a trade up to the '05. By the way, I have found Gwinnett Infinity to be good to deal with. They replaced a front right
    suspension(compression?) arm because it drifted to the right.No charge, no hassle hassle.
    If you buy there you have to haggle awhile with them
    but they eventually got down to where i wanted.
    I do have a few small scratches from road debris and I guess some touch up paint will take care of it. If anyone has ideas on how to cover the small rock scratches please advise.
  • Options
    I've been lusting after a G35 coupe for quite some time and have been cruising this board for a couple of months. I have a few questions !

The brochure does not mention if the coupe has heated seats or a heated steering wheel. I recently sat in a coupe and I don't recall seeing any switches. Can the vehicle be ordered with these items ??

Also, the bottom of the seat seems very narrow and the condition is made worse because of the power seat buttons located on the seat bolster. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" 160 lbs. but this was very noticeable to me. How do you current owners feel about the seats. I would guess that when you are driving the car that you are more involved with the driving dynamics and probably don't notice the seat bolstering too much. Is this correct ?? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    sreddysreddy Member Posts: 5
    My coupe ,and I believe this true for all 2005 models, has standard heated seats. I don't think heated steering wheel is an option. I find the seats quite nice and comfortable though my wife complains that they take too long to heat up. Just sit back and enjoy....
  • Options
    svridersvrider Member Posts: 11
    We are planning to buy a G35 Coupe with performance package on it. I really love the wheels with the performance package but the tires seem to be summer performance compared to the all-season ones on the base model. How are the summer tires when driving in rain? I live in Dallas so the weather is erratic with thunderstorms etc. Is it advisable to pick the performance wheels/tire package especially with a rear-wheel drive?
  • Options
    ed2930ed2930 Member Posts: 7
    I had a real dilema concerning this car. You see like many of the other tall people in this world we sometimes miss out on the greater things in life. I am 6'5" an can not sit in the coupe without hitting my head on the roof liner. I test drove the sedan and had enough headroom. Since I am in love with the coupe I had to order it without the sunroof Darn. A fair trade off for such a nice looking veichle.
  • Options
    vmrchitectvmrchitect Member Posts: 3
    I had a G35 recently and loved it. However, I had to sell it beacuse it is simply dangerous in snow.. I live near Albany NY.. It is a shame an all -whell drive is not available in coupe. I hope this (unfortunately) answers your question.
  • Options
    will42will42 Member Posts: 21
    Just curious? Did you try all season or dedicated snow tires? If you try driving with 18" summer tires in snow, of course it would be dangerous. I opted for the 17" wheels with all season tires. I swapped them for Michelin Pilot Sport all season tires. With the stability and traction control driving in snow is acceptable. If you have more than 5 mile commute, get dedicated snow tires. You will notice an even greater difference than just all season tires.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the 0 to 60 time is for the 2005 coupe 6speed manual.
  • Options
    gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I have 17" wheels with all season as well and I have no problem with snow as compare to my others cars or to those driving along me. I live in north Philadelphia area. I need to drive 17 miles each way to go to work.
  • Options
    greekzillagreekzilla Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get this? The best I can get for a G35 6MT is $300 over invoice w/VPP. Can you send me your contact at Infiniti?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Reminder - you may only list dealership name, city and state in the discussions. NO naming individual salespeople or their email/phone info.
  • Options
    colonel35colonel35 Member Posts: 108
    In general, and perhaps paradoxically, summer (performance) tires fare better than all-seasons in the rain. They're not recommended for snowy areas, but in Dallas you should be fine with the summers.
  • Options
    Although the HP rating is up, this was more-or-less a marketing move, since it came at the expense of lowering the torque output. Hence, 0-60 shouldn't change much at all from 5.6 or so (according to C&D, if memory serves).
  • Options
    Maybe you can help, if H.P. goes up why does torque go down????
  • Options
    jackal1jackal1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

Just drove off with a brand spanking new G coupe from the lot yesterday. Question though, are there any restrictions for the first 100s of miles? Like dont drive with high RPMs or not? I know I shouldnt use the cruise until first 500 miles. Is there anything else I should know?

The BMW M3, has this thing that you should not warm up the car in cold days, just drive off with it. Is this applicable to G couple?

Also when I drove the coupe into my garage, I smelled something burning or something weird? Anyone else get this? Is it cuz it's new and the brakes are just getting used or what?

Your input is appreciated.
  • Options
    Well, it doesn't always work out that way, but without making a lot of changes to engine components, it's difficult to increase both hp and torque, but it's relatively easy to adjust one in favor of the other, to a small extent. Ever notice how new models often boast nice round horsepower figures like 200, 250, or 300? True, there's a little estimation and rounding involved, but it's also the result of a lot of tuning.

Remember that horsepower is not measured directly, but rather calculated as a byproduct of torque at a given engine speed (RPM). By increasing the redline and letting torque build slower, you're able to raise the top-end horsepower figure, which is what (I believe) they did with the G35 engine. Ever notice how they get ridiculous HP figures from small F1 V10 engines? They just spin them up to 18k RPM!

No worries, though; even though it's more of a marketing gimmick than a performance one, overall performance should be very similar.
  • Options
    Check the manual to be sure, but I recall the rule being not to break 4k rpm (in any gear) for the first 1200 miles or so, and then slowly (over the next couple of hundred miles) gradually dipping further up the rev range. Of course, some doubt all of this and redline it on their way home from the dealer. It's up to you, but I've heard about oil leakage issues from some early engine abusers. Not using cruise control is just another suggestion about varying engine speeds and transmission gears, but obviously if you're doing a lot of highway traveling, your options are limited.

And the rule about driving away on cold days is true for all cars; idling the engine takes the engine (and hence the oil) much longer to warm up, and it's worse for the environment.

The burning smell could be the new tires or brakes, or it could be some cleaning solutions or drops of oil burning on the engine block. It should go away.
  • Options
    temple_kidtemple_kid Member Posts: 8
    I finally made up my mind that I am ready to get a new car and I went to test drive the 2005 G35 Coupe. I was having trouble getting used to the clutch so I was jerking the car like crazy. Mind you I know how to drive a stick shift. I drive a manual Celica GT right now. So that I know I just have to get used to it.

But the one thing that bothered me a little bit is that the shifter was pulsating quite a bit. The shifter in my car doesn't do that. Does anybody have any opinion on it? I guess I was thrown off just because I am not used to it!
  • Options
    I, too, was initially surprised by the vibrations--especially coming from the super-smooth drivetrain of a BMW 530i--but either it's mellowed out over time, or I've gotten used to it, since I don't notice it anymore at all.
  • Options
    temple_kidtemple_kid Member Posts: 8
    Oh ok. I guess its just a feature that gives it a more sporty feel I guess. But I have to say the car was pretty smooth otherwise.

Thanks Colonel35
  • Options
    rocaroca Member Posts: 8
    How's the space at the back for a car seat? (I'm a 2-seater car guy but with the arrival of our first baby I need a bigger car but I still don't see myself driving a 4-door sedan hence a coupe).
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What's redline on the G35?
  • Options
    grfairbrothergrfairbrother Member Posts: 1
    Looking for some input on a nose mask for my 2004 Coupe. I am thinking about buying a mask and have been looking on line ... does anyone have an opinion on going after-market versus buying direct from Infiniti? I am also thinking about leaving on all the time (I live in Dallas, TX) and wonder about wear. Also, would leaving on all the time cause color differences after time? My last question is what about when you wash the car ... do you have to take the nose mask off or just wash over it?

I appreciate any input I can get ... I don't really want to spend $100 on something that ends up being more a problem than it will add to the appearance and maintenance.

Thanks all ...
  • Options
    fungus440fungus440 Member Posts: 21
    According to the brochure I have, the picture of the tachometer shows about 6,700.
  • Options
    doncalvidoncalvi Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am just wondering if it is possible to put a targa top on my G35 coupe. I really like the way it looks, and was wondering if anybody knew anything about it.
  • Options
    scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    I was kinda wondering the same thing. The Anniversary and Track Z's got to 300HP by bumping the redline up from 6600 to 7000 rpm. I have not read anything about similar changes to the G, so I'm wondering where they found the extra ponies.
  • Options
    cpv35cpv35 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a new 2003 6MT coupe a year and a half ago. About three months into ownership I adjusted the the clutch friction point (where it starts to grab) from near the top-of-travel down to about mid-travel, and shifting was easier to coordinate and got much smoother. That can be done with a couple small wrenches down in the footwell behind the pedals. Takes a bit of patience the first time.

Regarding the shifter vibration, the direct mechanical linkage is shorter because the transmission is closer to the stick than in a FWD car. Perhaps other cars such as BMWs use softer bushings to dampen vibration more, but I don't find the coupe annoying after 25,000 miles - my hand is on the shifter for only a few seconds at a time anyway. FWD stick shifts should be pretty much vibration free, since they mostly have cable linkage such as on my wife's Solara. The 2005's are supposed to have smoother shifting than the 03-04's. Does anyone have any first-hand experience comparing the them?
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    I don't have a fabric nose mask, but rather an "invisible" (aka "clear") bra that helps achieve much of the same purpose (protecting the paint and headlights from small rock chips and debris). The advantages to the clear stuff is that it's almost invisible and that it's on permanently (and can be washed and waxed over). The real fabric, on the other hand, is tougher (can probably repel much larger debris). I'm not sure how much the fabric costs, but the invisible bra is $300-500 in parts (depending on who you buy from, and how much coverage you want), and it's either a DIY job or a good tech can install it for another $200-500.
  • Options
    e_r_i_ce_r_i_c Member Posts: 2
    I owned a 2003 6spd coupe and recently traded it in for a 2005 6spd. I didn't feel much of a horsepower difference right away, mostly since I didn't redline it for the first 2000 miles. However, the steering, the shifter, and clutch are MUCH better in the new G35. The steering is a little more speed sensitive, but I like it. The suspension seems much stiffer too though, so that kind of makes up for the softer lower-speed steering. I can't tell you how glad I am that I traded it in. Since then I have added a Stillen intake, Kinetix plenum and cats, and Borla exhaust. It took a couple of weeks, but after that the ECU adjusted and it drives and sounds awesome. The car (even stock) drives much more like a BMW than the 2003 G35 did. If you have a 2003 G35 6sd, test drive a 2005. Much, much better. I haven't driven a 2004, so I can't compare them...
  • Options
    jayellesevenjayelleseven Member Posts: 150
    tight, you added some nice things to yours. I want the new 6MT. Its between that and the new 06 3 Series. I jus keep thinkin about the power of the Coupe tho, the sleekness, the sex appeal! haha. Plus, every other person who doesn't want a fully loaded Camry will get a 3, u know? So the new ones much better, GOOD, cuz I'll spend the extra $ to get it the '05. Black on black with phat chrome rims. Do you have custom rims on yours? Staggered stance, now thats what I like_