Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    JD Power has been doing long term reports on cars for years, and some cover 4 or 5 years of ownership. We have their Power Circle ratings here in the vehicle pages.

If there's a specific report you saw, you may find it at the JD Power Press Releases page.

Steve, Host
  • juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    I am trying to get good price on 2004 CR-V EX AT. The dealers said Honda never go below invoice sale. But I saw this board some people posted price of $20,500 or less. The lowest quote I got from Internet is ~21,400. One told me on the phone he can get ~21,300. The price does not include any accessories and before fees. Could anyone offer some help on this? I do not think this is good price after I read many post from here. Does Oregon has highest price or dealers are not telling the truth? Thanks.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    From what I've read, Oregon is a tougher market, and I haven't read of many purchases there that are closer to invoice. The 21,300 may be a very good price there. There are some other Oregon folks on here, so I'm sure they will respond to your inquiry.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    julia...

I tried to resist the urge but it overcame me...sorry...

BUT...The invoice on this CRV is 21,320.

These remain a very desirable, high demand car.

When I bought my wife's last year, I paid 500.00 over and was happy to do so. they could have sold it to someone else for more than that.

21,300 or 21,400 is definatly a "good price" !
  • bubba.werkbubba.werk Member Posts: 11
    Hope this helps!!! Ok I have been to another dealership and they could not come close to the price I was last quoted. This is for the same CRV LX Auto 2wd.
    Price $18096 w/dest Tax 1173.82 (texas) Lic 180.55 Out the door $19450.37 and this includes cargo tray, tint, mud flaps, mats(already included), and pin stripe. If someone has received a lower bid please let me know. I am going to wait a little longer maybe until Aug or Sept to see if it comes down. Because the price dropped $400 bucks after I emailed this person with a quote.
  • bubba.werkbubba.werk Member Posts: 11
    Sorry what I meant to say is some other dealership now has offered me $19,100 OTD taxes and everything else included. Cargo tray, tint, mud flaps.
    I think you got a higher price from your insurance. It is between MSRP and PP price for yur 2000EX.
    Thanks for your reply. I bought CR-V EX AT this week at 21,300. I also add cargo cover and Wheel locks (both at extra cost at retail price). In addition to that, there are $50 document/process fee. When I look the price other folks posted like $20,500, I am quite jealous. Thanks for no sale tax in Oregon. So maybe after all, the total cost is not bad. I got the CR-V brand new with 3 miles on it before I tested.
    It was difficult decision to make on small SUV (it will be much easier on midsize cars). I hesitated between CR-V and Hyundai Santa Fe GLS (2.7l). I can get Hyundai Santa Fe GLS (2.7l) at ad price of only $18,995 (with roof rack, but no moon roof). I like almost everything Santa Fe GLS (2.7l). I felt it rides smoother than CR-V. I like it's inside dashboard design style. The cloth on seats is much better. Also it has lovely 4 deep pockets on the door that those at rear curved for holding a big bottle of water. In addition to it's two cup holders at center. Inside design more curved, especial on rear view mirror and outside mirror. The CR-V has very boring/ugly and square design on those mirrors. I do not and I think I never like the space on top of glove box (end up the glove box is very small) on CR-V. But I still choose CR-V mainly due to the MPG and Honda reputation. This CR-V is my first Honda car (my previous car are all Toyota). I hope it won't let me down. It is too bad that RAV4 has much tight rear legroom. Otherwise, I will definitely go RAV4.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I paid $21,800 for the same car in April of '02!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• akwakw Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2004 CRV EX Auto in the Seattle area and found that we could not find nearly the low prices that others posted in different regions of the US. My best price was given online at 21800 and then one dealer in OR was willing to go to 21600, but we decided it wasn't worth the drive down there. So we went for the 21800 (including destination) which was fine. Dealers here are just not willing to budge, we walked out of two dealers trying to get a lower price. thanks to everyone posting in this forum. it really helped us with our purchase!
    Thanks for your post. It makes me do not feel bad. I guess maybe NW does not have better price than other area. I am not sorry for the price I paid for it. But I wonder whether I could get better price.

I am not good negotiator. I did not even walk down to any of the dealership. All I do just to get the internet quote. Then ask for their best price. I did talk to the internet sales manager each (total three from each dealership) on the phone once. Then I went to the dealer, who sounds nice on the phone, got the car. I wonder whether I could get a better price if I do it differently.

The information on this website is very helpful. I got paid even higher price if I did not saw posts here. Because all three dealership here said they need to have small profit above the invoice (I believed them) until I saw the post said the dealer holdback and wholesale price.

By the way, the internet sales manager I worked with is quite nice. He did not pressure at all to sell any accession. He even asked parts Dept. to took off the roof rack on the car (I do not think I will use it, maybe it is good for many people). I did add the cargo cover at $195 as I think it looks neat. The I bought the wheel locks from parts dept at $59.00 and have not installed it on the car yet (thought it Alloy wheel/tire) worth more than the locks).
    Another guy handle the paperwork work tried to sale me the extended warranty for 6yr/6K at $1899, then down to $1699. He said the money is total returnable if we did not use. I turned it down for his several attempt.
    This is my first time deal with Honda dealer. I appreciate all the information here at this web site. It really helps.
  • kathgipkathgip Member Posts: 39
    Julia, I just bought a CR-V EX AT in OR. and I felt bad that I was not able to get the low price that many of the people who posted here have gotten. They are so much in demand in OR that dealers don't have to deal and they still will sell very quickly. My one consolation is that we do not have sales tax in this state. So if you are able to get this model at $21,700 plus extras so that when all is said and done you are at $22,000 for everything, you would still save the $1500 - $2000 in sales tax and that is real money we save in OR. So it all works out, and maybe that is why OR won't deal.
    Paid less than I did!!

Don't worry...be happy!

And, it's true, OR has no sales tax. they just tax you to death on everything else!

No free lunch!
    Kathgip
    Thanks for your post. Just curious. When you bought and how much? I tried to get quote in late April and early May, the quote I got are all ~22,000 then. You are right that we do not pay sales tax. So, the actual price we paid for the car is still not bad.
    Hi, isellhondas
    Thanks for your post too. If you bought CR-V in Canada, there are extra on EX, like daytime light and heated power mirror as standard features, aren't they?
    Live in WA.

And, yeah, they do have some extra things. I could care less about daytime running lights. Probably five days a year heated mirrors would be nice.
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Isellhondas - let's not scoff the daytime running lights or the heated side view mirrors! Even for those of you in WA - if you're on the coast or in the mountains... :-)

Canada requires day time running lights and has for years. In 1990 researchers in Ottawa (I think) determined that frontal daytime collisions between vehicles could be reduced by 11% by using day time running lights. Thus, for the last 10 years or so I often drive with my headlights on during the day, particularly at dawn and dusk - now I have a Subaru with DTRL and am very happy for that.

As for the heated mirrors... again, I have the Subaru that has them and :-D. I use them often because I live in a foggy climate on the coast of California and the defrost on those mirrors helps to dissipate the mist that can build up on them. Also, I seek the snow for boarding in Tahoe, so with any luck, I get more than 5 days a year where I NEED the heated side views. It's a huge nice to have for some folks.

Elissa
    Not really scoffing anything, Elissa. Just my personal feelings, that's all.

I'm kinda funny..I don't like things forced on me that I don't care about such as daytime driving lights. I'm in Seattle where we have a LOT of dark, wet and foggy days. On those days that are marginal, I just turn my headlights on.

As far as heated mirrors...well, I suppose I might use them once in a great while. just not a big deal to me.
    What's interesting is that buyers in Canada often get more standard equipment on their cars, for the same or less money than buyers to the south, depending on the value of the dollar.

It's a bit looney :-)

Steve, Host
    Julia.. The price you were quoted was close to what I was quoted. The best quotes I got were internet prices and they were from 3 dealers. Two were at $22,020 and one was $22,021. That was just wierd to me. The TLR was $218 for all of them. And they would NOT come down on price for the extras I got: cargo cover, roof rack, mud flaps, and woodgrain interior. It was an additional $785. And I was willing to pay it because I live on a dirt road, so I will use the mud flaps. The cargo cover is really nice. I love the woodgrain interior also; it looks so rich. The roof rack was a frivilous expense, but it looks cool. So that brought my total to $23,023. I wanted the extended warranty for 100,000 miles (probably unnecessary) and they would not go below $1295 for it (it retailed for $1695). But I said that I would take the whole package for not a penny above $24,000, and they accepted that. So whether I got the extended warranty for $977 or whether they did knock some off the price of the extras is irrelevant. I got the whole package for what I wanted, so I am happy.
    Kathgip
    Thanks for your post. Your whole package looks good. The dealer only show me the 6yr/6.5k with so expansive price. I did not even know that price can change too. My new CR-V just sent to the service to adjust alignment because it pull to the right. The alignment results show the TOE was really off. I sent it in service with oddmeter only at 25 mile and out at 38 mile (I did not drive it since I bought it on Monday) after long wait of about 3 hours. It wasted my whole Sat. morning. I am going to test it today as I still feel it pull to the right on my way home. I am extremely not happy about my CR-V.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It's a tougher market. Honda is well established here in the US. In Canada, they are still a growing company. So they have to give a little more to get more customers.

Also... because Canadians tend to buy smaller vehicles than US buyers, the smaller rigs have to reach a wider range. It's the same in Japan and the UK. The CR-V comes with quite a few options (NAV, VSA, premium sound, etc.) that are not available here.
    I think most manufacturers just price goods to meet what the local market will bear. You can find examples of stuff sold around the world that may have some local variations, but the same basic item will cost more in a country with a higher average income.

Canadians need block heaters and DRLS, and I think Honda installs them so their cars will sell, and they price them for what the market will bear.

Before the warranties started getting denied, lots of folks stateside went to Canada to get Nissans or Odysseys, and lots of Japanese buy their electronic stuff in Australia/New Zealand. Prescription drugs is the other obvious example.

And Bimbo cupcakes cost less in Mexico than Hostess cupcakes do in the rest of North America :-)

Steve, Host
  • kingsuskingsus Member Posts: 1
    Kathgip- I need to buy a CRV EX in Seattle or Eastside in the next two weeks- can you tell me at what dealership you got your $21,800 price? And did you have any extras? Thanks for your help. Also, did you check up in Bellingham or Tacoma? SOmeone told me tax rate is lower in those counties, which could mean sustantial savings...I haven't had time to check that out.
  • bigeddudebigeddude Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the CR-V EX from Shingle Springs Honda for $21,500 last week. That price included wheel locks and was before tax and license. They also added $40 doc fees to the price. I started at $20,800 and after about 3 rounds of negotiating this was the price. It was closing time and I paid cash (checkbook in hand). They were very good to deal with and the experience was pleasant.
  • fl101fl101 Member Posts: 13
    Can anyone tell me what a 2004 CRV is going for in tampa bay area? Thanks.
  • fl101fl101 Member Posts: 13
    I do not have problem to go outside Tampa area for a better price. I would like to buy it for around $1000 below invoice (there is a $1000 kick back to dealer by Honda) if possible.
    If you have a good experience with any delaer in Miami/Fort Laderdale and Atlanta would be appreciated. Thanks.
    No $1000 "kickback" on CRV's.

Where do these rumors come from I wonder?
    CRV.. Accord V6 coupe... its all the same, right?

Don't forget about the double secret probation cash!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

There's $500 dealer cash (aka marketing support aka Honda kickback?) in my zip code right now for a few Honda models (not the CR-V). Maybe that's where the rumor springs from. Incentives & Rebates

Who knows what other incentives Honda may be giving individual dealership owners.

Steve, Host
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    I want to buy the vehicle most in demand now (crossover vs full size SUV)in Tampa as well. The only difference is, I want it for 3000 under invoice.

2 year
    I think you were composing while I was editing :-)

Steve, Host
    Yup..taken care of now

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• acarbuyeracarbuyer Member Posts: 6
    Even if there were a $1000 kickback to Honda dealers on the CR-V (which there doesn't seem to be, , there's no reason that any dealership is simply going to rollover and give you $1000 off. They are in business. Oh, no, I sound like IsellHondas. Horrors!

And just because I was able to buy a CR-V (or whatever) at a particular price, doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to get the same dealer. Bunch of factors are involved (# of CR-V's that the dealer has in stocks, end of month, quota's, dealership prizes, etc., etc., etc.). So Jane may get a great deal on a vehicle, it doesn't mean that Bob will get a great deal as well. It's a matter of how well you negotiate.

I bought a CR-V at the end of July and got what I think was a good deal (I think I discussed it on 50-52). But I did a lot of research, knew the wholesale cost of the CR-V, the dealer holdback, knew which dealers had a large number of the LX's in stock and which had a few, and knew which dealers added a lot of garbage fees to the vehicles they were selling (like detailing, wheel locks, rustproofing, etc). And I negotiated hard. And I mean real hard.

Before I closed on my deal, I contacted other dealerships in the area (and one 50 miles away) asking them to beat the deal I had. All of them warned me that the deal I had was a bait and switch and that I should sit on my checkbook. But the deal was the real thing.

So my suggestion is rather than driving hundreds of miles to find a dealership where someone had a good experience, do your research and negotiate hard.
    Kingsus, I bought my car in OR. at Capitol Honda in McMinnville, OR, east of Portland. They were amazing to deal with and I highly recommend this dealer to anyone in the NW
  • ace2004ace2004 Member Posts: 22
    Anybody know what 2004 CRV AWD are selling for in NY, Northern NJ or lower CT/ ? Please..
  • acarbuyeracarbuyer Member Posts: 6
    Depends upon what you're looking for: automatic, manual, EX, LX?

I'm in central NJ (near Asbury Park). I bought a CR-V LX AWD with side airbags for $19K at the end of July. You might be able to get it less expensive now.

But be warned, I negotiated and negotiated over the internet. I think that the only reason that I got the deal that I got was because the dealer had in excess of 50 CR-Vs on the lot, they were behind their quota, and the vehicle I picked up had just arrived at the end of June (maybe they were saving/making money on the deal because they wouldn't have to pay the flooring charge if they sold it before the end of July).

Good luck.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Well, today marks day 7 after having purchased our new CR-V at a local Bay Area, CA dealer.

$20,353 was our final offer, TTL and doc fee out the door brought it to $22.9k and change. When we received this offer I was a little concerned about doc prep fee gouging, but the dealer charged us $49 for that and $191 for title. Tax made up the rest. We just did the Edmunds dealer quote system, received several nice offers and made a deal. We were able to finance for 3.36% for 24mos (we have a pretty small loan after selling our soon to be missed Integra).

It had 3 miles on it and had been at the dealer for about 2 weeks.

jp
  • cowboy2cowboy2 Member Posts: 11
    OK I sell Hondas...I am in Southern Ca and have been shopping internet and phone for a month for a 2004 CRV EX white. So far I am at 23,545 out the door. I am not getting any extras so I think there has to be something better..Yes it is an automatic.........Any suggestions?
    Did you get the Automatic EX?
    Don't have anything yet. Ready to go over the holiday weekend. With destination its 20,900 plus tax, lic, and doc it comes to 23,545. I would like it better at 21,000 with everything...guess I am dreaming?
    Dreaming..yes.. Invoice is $21,300.. Some people might be able to beat that by a thousand, but who knows why? I paid $21,800 plus tax for my '02... in April of 2002!! I think you better grab that $20,900, if that is the car you want.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind on the weekend!
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Yep. EX Auto. We actually wanted the manual but damned if I could find one in a reasonable amount of time.
    I have no idea what inventories are like in CA. The price you will pay has everything to do with supplies. The dealer has no control over tax and license and since I no longer live in So. Calif, I don't know what your tax rate is.

Good Luck...it doesn't have to be a painful experience. If you feel comfortable, just go for it and move on!
  • matthew633matthew633 Member Posts: 26
    Cowboy2 - Keeping in mind that I purchased the same car ('04 CR-V EX Auto White, no extras in So. Calif.) in Dec. '03, your OTD price sounds a little high. In 12/03 the invoice for the same car was $20,830 and to this I added $490 for destination and DEDUCTED $677 for dealer holdback to give me my starting offer of $20,643. Agreed on a price of $20,793 and my OTD price was $22,640. The numbers may have changed but the idea is the same.

This is a great forum and if you go back a few months you will see that many with the same car have gotten some great deals and offer great advice.

A few tips: Definitely go at the END of the month, take the invoice with dealer holdback with you and make the first offer. Tell them you are going to buy a car that day and be willing to go to another dealer if necessary.
    Once you have a deal make sure they don't tack on any unsually high fees. Best regards and keep us posted.
    The dealers are well aware of what they pay for the cars.

Why a dealer would sell a CRV for invoice minus holdback is beyond me but, hey, if they are willing to do this, go for it!
    Where did you purchase your car..what dealer?
  • ace2004ace2004 Member Posts: 22
    What are the 2004 CRV AWD are selling for in NY, NY / Metropolitan area... EX & LX. Thanks Guys
    I hope you are there! I just got an offer of 20,888 plus tax and lic. I am hesitant because I am not looking forward to payments again!...Please respond asap!