Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• edunnettedunnett Posts: 553
    Well said gotmeinahonda! I second that. The first new car I bought was a 1993 Honda Civic CX hatch when I was a mere 23 years old, was buying from an acquaintance, and new nothing of the car buying business. I bought it at MSRP, bought on the spot cuz they said the radio (which was already installed in the car!)was free that day only (I'm such a sucker!), I bought the $600 can of scotch guard, the rust proofing, the extended warranty, and got the dealer's 9.9% financing. So an $8,700 car cost me almost $15,000! My only consolation is that the car was trouble-free for the next 10 years, never got a stain, only rusted a tiny bit and sold for half it's original value 10 years later. I have NO sympathy for car dealers after getting ripped like that the first time.
  • rob5rob5 Posts: 2
    Mid-Michigan Huh? Did you find Capital Honda unwilling to negotiate and arrogant too?

I got ours from Brighton Honda. My next option would have been Grand Honda!
  • I was able to get the following quote frome my car dealer (before tax, documentation fee and tag fee):
    CR-V LX 2WD: $17,999
    CR-V EX AWD: $21,972
    The dealer said it is possible to knock down the price by another $800. Will you guys consider this a warm deal then?
    Also, the price difference between the LX and EX is about $3000. What I am really interested in is the ABS and side air bags, which are not immediately available to the LX edition. I live at North Carolina. The chance of snow is little. So AWD really does not matter a lot. Do you think it worth $3000 to add the ABS and side air bags?
    Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 128,068
    Is it worth $3K for ABS and SAB? I would think not.. But, for alloy wheels, six disc CD changer, moonroof, and AWD? Definitely. The AWD EX will probably hold its value better than the LX, resulting in very little cost difference, once you sell it down the line.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• I was able to get the following quote frome my car dealer (before tax, documentation fee and tag fee):
    CR-V LX 2WD: $17,999
    CR-V EX AWD: $21,972
    The dealer said it is possible to knock down the price by another $800. Will you guys consider this a warm deal then?
    Also, the price difference between the LX and EX is about $3000. What I am really interested in is the ABS and side air bags, which are not immediately available to the LX edition. I live at North Carolina. The chance of snow is little. So AWD really does not matter a lot. Do you think it worth $3000 to add the ABS and side air bags?
    Thanks!
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    "American Honda Motor Co. reported higher sales in July, helped by dealers moving more of its sport utility vehicles and luxury cars."

Business First of Columbus

Steve, Host
  • We tried Capital in Lansing and Art Moehn in Jackson. Neither were particularly arrogant, just not willing to match the price from Grand Honda.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    Amer Honda July Sales Fell 2.6%

"TORRANCE, Calif. -(Dow Jones)- July sales at American Honda Motor Co., the U.S. unit of Honda Motor Co. (HMC), fell 2.6% on last year as Honda brand sales fell 3.6% but the smaller Acura division saw gains... "

http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&cat=I- NDUSTRY&feed=dji&news_id=dji-00079120040803&date=2004- 0803
    lol, gotta love it. It looks like your link is adjusted sales for an extra day in the month.

Steve, Host
  • kathgipkathgip Posts: 39
    I have read lots of posts from people quoting prices from the midwest, east coast, and California. Most of those prices are very low compared to what is available here in OR - (the NW for those who don't know where we are located.) NONE of our dealerships that carry Hondas in the entire metro area put any ads in the paper for CR-V's. I could not find a price quote anywhere. So I did a lot of internet shopping and the funny thing is that the quotes that I got from every dealership on the internet were exactly the same. $22,020 was the best price for the EX AWD AT. That did not include LTR fees, destination fee, or any extras. No one was willing to add roof rack, cargo cover, mud flaps, without full retail. All I can figure is that the demand is very high here in the NW and the supply is low. The best price for all the above was $23,000. I did get my CR-V 3 weeks ago and I love it. But I am bummed that we live in a state that charges the highest price for this vehicle compared to what you all have quoted are the prices that you have gotten. It seems that the same vehicle would have cost me about $1500 to $1000 less if I did not live in OR. And the other thing is that there were just not that many to choose from. Three of the dealerships that I contacted has only 2 EX AWD AT's on their lots. They don't need to discount prices because the demand is so high. Congratulations to all of you that got such great deals. Don't come to OR and buy. However, I must say that the dealership I worked with made the process very easy and even sent me a box of cookies as a 'thank you'. Considering how much they made, they owed me a box of cookies. So any comments about the NW and high prices are true!
    No sales tax though :-)

I'm in Boise, so that's sort of the NW (or Intermountain West if you like). But I haven't shopped cars here, although I keep hearing about that dealer up in Kellogg who sells a lot of domestic makes over the net. There was a ton of pressure by other dealers to limit his stock (link), so maybe there is something to the conspiracy theories?

Steve, Host
  • On the east coast, there weren't many (if any) ads for the CR-Vs (either LX or EX) in the newspapers. And none of them offered a discount -- usually they were for leases at the MSRP. And some of the advertised MSRPs didn't include the destination cost.

Demand seemed high here as well: many of the dealers had less than 20 CR-Vs (some had only 2 or 3 LXs in stock) . At the end of June when I called one dealer, the salesman told me that he had the Chianti Red in stock. When he checked, he told me that they had sold three vehicles the night before and all he had left were...

Fact or fiction? I don't know but what a coincidence.

Flash ahead to end of July. I did the internet thing and asked the contact for Chianti Red. Same dealership. And I checked their back lot (several miles away from the dealership itself) and there were 2 in red. The email told me that there were none in red available because they were possibly sold. Possibly sold? With a house I can understand, with a car, com'on -- it's either sold or the people are thinking about it. And if I'm there saying that I'm ready to buy and I'll come down to the lot... hmmm.

The NW may be different. Don't know. Maybe they're all in the same "boat" that IsellHondas is. But I also know that a lot of these dealerships are owned by the same group -- although they might not be called by the corporate name. Upper Volta Honda and BillyBob Honda may have the same ownership and they've decided that they're not going to sell from their stock for below $22K.

What's a consumer to do? Make the best deal in your area after you've done your research. As a consumer, you really don't know the business relationships between the dealerships (even if they're corporate cousins).
    Lithia is the biggest (I think) in the NW and Honda is one of their brands. 83 stores means a lot of consolidation, so you may have to travel even farther to get a real deal.

Allocation of inventory was a big issue with Honda back in the '80's (freerepublic.com) but you'd think those kinds of shenanigans fell by the wayside after all the indictments.

"Possibly sold" I can understand since you have several salespeople moving cars and no listing agent acting as a gatekeeper like you do with a unique house.

Steve, Host
  • bshelbshel Posts: 232
    Hey, I got a little box of fudge ("to sweeten the deal" or something printed on it) and they gave me a ice scraper with their logo on it. The thing I liked the most was the (dealer logo) key ring though - my previous Hondas' had smaller car keys/remotes - this new one, plus the remote, are pretty big. Now, I can separate my other keys with the spring action thing.
    Since folks do put deposits down, they may use that term too. I think the deposit is refundable if you decide not to buy once your vehicle arrives, from the "back lot" or overseas.
    Hi Steve (Host),
    Lithia is the largest auto group in southern OR, but it is not in the Portland Metro area. When I did my internet research and asked for price quotes, I did not put a restriction where in the state and I did not hear from any one at Lithia. In my area the auto market is basically dominated by 2 very large auto groups and they set the price for everyone. I got the best quote I could from one of the big guys who is about 60 miles from me. Then I called my small town dealership and asked if they would match the price because I really wanted to deal with our little dealership and they said "yes", so I bought from them. I live in a rural area of the state so I like to give my hometown dealership my business. They also have low cost oil changes with coupon for $21.95. So hopefully when that time comes it will be a good outcome.
  • ace2004ace2004 Posts: 22
    Can anyone tell me what a 2004 CRV is going for in NY NJ or CT, & what dealer used?
    Thanks in advance.
    ACE2004
  • vvvkptvvvkpt Posts: 1
    I paid $ 19, 410 before Taxes, for LX - 2WD, with leather upgrade and security system thrown in.

I am not sure, if that is a good deal!.

What do you guys think ?. Is it a good deal ?.
    I heard today that JD Powers did a report on cars that have been on the road for 3 years. It was based on reliability, among other things, and the first time they have done a report of this kind. I would like to find a copy of that report, but I can't find it. I went to the JD Powers website, but did not come up with this report. I sure would appreciate any help with this. Apparently Honda faired better than many of the the other Japanese companies. It was superior to Toyota,which will blow my brother (a Toyota loyalist) away. Lexus came out #1 by a long ways. Anyway, thanks for the help.
    I believe the prices posted have varied, if you do a search on here. I have seen quite a few buyers extend the search area to get better prices. Here in Philly area, saw ad for Conicelli Honda for $20,500 2004 EX auto. I was surprised, as when I purchased in February, that dealership was one that claimed they were getting close to MSRP. I went with Scott Honda/West Chester (PA), although several dealers in NJ were quite competitive.
    JD Power has been doing long term reports on cars for years, and some cover 4 or 5 years of ownership. We have their Power Circle ratings here in the vehicle pages.

If there's a specific report you saw, you may find it at the JD Power Press Releases page.

Steve, Host
  • juliajulia Posts: 74
    I am trying to get good price on 2004 CR-V EX AT. The dealers said Honda never go below invoice sale. But I saw this board some people posted price of $20,500 or less. The lowest quote I got from Internet is ~21,400. One told me on the phone he can get ~21,300. The price does not include any accessories and before fees. Could anyone offer some help on this? I do not think this is good price after I read many post from here. Does Oregon has highest price or dealers are not telling the truth? Thanks.
    From what I've read, Oregon is a tougher market, and I haven't read of many purchases there that are closer to invoice. The 21,300 may be a very good price there. There are some other Oregon folks on here, so I'm sure they will respond to your inquiry.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    julia...

I tried to resist the urge but it overcame me...sorry...

BUT...The invoice on this CRV is 21,320.

These remain a very desirable, high demand car.

When I bought my wife's last year, I paid 500.00 over and was happy to do so. they could have sold it to someone else for more than that.

21,300 or 21,400 is definatly a "good price" !
  • Hope this helps!!! Ok I have been to another dealership and they could not come close to the price I was last quoted. This is for the same CRV LX Auto 2wd.
    Price $18096 w/dest Tax 1173.82 (texas) Lic 180.55 Out the door $19450.37 and this includes cargo tray, tint, mud flaps, mats(already included), and pin stripe. If someone has received a lower bid please let me know. I am going to wait a little longer maybe until Aug or Sept to see if it comes down. Because the price dropped $400 bucks after I emailed this person with a quote.
  • Sorry what I meant to say is some other dealership now has offered me $19,100 OTD taxes and everything else included. Cargo tray, tint, mud flaps.
    I think you got a higher price from your insurance. It is between MSRP and PP price for yur 2000EX.
    Thanks for your reply. I bought CR-V EX AT this week at 21,300. I also add cargo cover and Wheel locks (both at extra cost at retail price). In addition to that, there are $50 document/process fee. When I look the price other folks posted like $20,500, I am quite jealous. Thanks for no sale tax in Oregon. So maybe after all, the total cost is not bad. I got the CR-V brand new with 3 miles on it before I tested.
    It was difficult decision to make on small SUV (it will be much easier on midsize cars). I hesitated between CR-V and Hyundai Santa Fe GLS (2.7l). I can get Hyundai Santa Fe GLS (2.7l) at ad price of only $18,995 (with roof rack, but no moon roof). I like almost everything Santa Fe GLS (2.7l). I felt it rides smoother than CR-V. I like it's inside dashboard design style. The cloth on seats is much better. Also it has lovely 4 deep pockets on the door that those at rear curved for holding a big bottle of water. In addition to it's two cup holders at center. Inside design more curved, especial on rear view mirror and outside mirror. The CR-V has very boring/ugly and square design on those mirrors. I do not and I think I never like the space on top of glove box (end up the glove box is very small) on CR-V. But I still choose CR-V mainly due to the MPG and Honda reputation. This CR-V is my first Honda car (my previous car are all Toyota). I hope it won't let me down. It is too bad that RAV4 has much tight rear legroom. Otherwise, I will definitely go RAV4.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 128,068
    I paid $21,800 for the same car in April of '02!!

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• akwakw Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2004 CRV EX Auto in the Seattle area and found that we could not find nearly the low prices that others posted in different regions of the US. My best price was given online at 21800 and then one dealer in OR was willing to go to 21600, but we decided it wasn't worth the drive down there. So we went for the 21800 (including destination) which was fine. Dealers here are just not willing to budge, we walked out of two dealers trying to get a lower price. thanks to everyone posting in this forum. it really helped us with our purchase!