Options

2013 and earlier Nissan Murano Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    garywheelsgarywheels Member Posts: 2
    I have been lurking on the Murano forums for about a year, and we finally pulled the trigger and bought our Murano in early March. This is the deal we got:
    2004 SL 2wd Polished Pewter/Charcoal
    Touring Pkg.
    Splash Guards
    Floor Mats
    Cargo Area Protector
    Sunroof Deflector

MSRP: 33380
    Invoice: 30455
    Purchase: 29955 + TTL

When looking on the Nissan site for dealer inventories, our local dealers did not have the exact Murano in the colors we wanted - but there were two within 100 miles. I contacted the Internet sales at these two dealers to get their best deal. One was $500 over invoice, the other was $500 under. I then took the better deal to our local dealer - it was so good I didn't expect them to match it. They matched the deal, and did a dealer trade with the dealer that was offering $500 over. They actually gave us another Murano to drive for several days until they completed the dealer trade. My wife could not be happier with the Murano - and I feel we got a great deal!
  • Options
    gone2mauigone2maui Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my 2004 Murano SL AWD, fully loaded, touring package, premium package, nav for 3% below dealer invoice. The program is call VPP or Nissan Vehicle Purchase Program. I picked my car and gave the dealer my VPP #. The dealer showed me invoice and took 3% off of that. No negotiating. It was very painless. All in all, I got $5,000 off of MSRP.
  • Options
    gbuachargbuachar Member Posts: 9
    gone2maui, how do you get into the VPP program? It would be nice if negotiating is that easy. I was irritated by a dealer yesterday and vowed not to recommend anybody there. In fact, I will stop bringing my 20ed Maxima there for service.
  • Options
    gone2mauigone2maui Member Posts: 7
    I got it through my company but understand it isn't enforced all that much. Also the dealer is made whole in the term of a rebate from Nissan Corp at the end of the quarter. I also heard the discount is 4% off dealer invoice. Ping me next week sometime and I'll see if I can get you VPP number.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Advice to new car buyers:
         When the finance manager tries to sell the extended warranty just say: "What? The salesman just told me how reliable the car is and now you tell me it isn't? Tear up the sales agreement. I will get a Toyota so I won't need an extended warranty".
  • Options
    gbuachargbuachar Member Posts: 9
    Ping...gone2maui Do you mind emailing me? buachart@hotmail.com
  • Options
    vidbobvidbob Member Posts: 1
    Hey, gone2maui, would you mind e-mailing me as well with the VPP information? bwilliamson@encorehollywood.com
    I'm ready to buy 2004 SL 2WD, touring, NAV, VDC in Black and looking for any negociating help.
  • Options
    vincent_vegavincent_vega Member Posts: 1
    Good morning,

Gone2Maui, if I may also request, I too would like to obtain a VPP # or more information on how to obtain.

Please email me at chagge33@operamail.com

I will be purchasing very soon.

Regards
  • Options
    geomensgeomens Member Posts: 7
    Just got an email reply to my quote request for a Murano in Miami at invoice. He basically indicated that whatever package I want, I can have it at invoice price. And this is the first quote, so I am sure that if I am ready I can get it below invoice. I am thinking that I will offer at least $500 below invoice. Anyone getting that much or can I do better?
  • Options
    georgeholanogeorgeholano Member Posts: 2
    I was offered a lease program of $440 x 39 months with $650.00 out of pockect cost for a 2004 Murano SE w/ the touring package is that a fair deal. the car was dealt on the invoice of about 31,308. Can anyone help before I sign ? ....Thanks ......George
  • Options
    edgtedgt Member Posts: 2
    I have just got my VPP # for purchasing a Nissan Murano. I have the following questions:

- For those who bought the vehicle in DFW, can you tell which dealership you would recommend and which one I should avoid?
    - Can I further negotiate a lower price after the dealer shows me the VPP price? I have read some people on the alias mentioned that they got $500 below invoice. I wonder if the dealer is willing to lower another $500 from the VPP price.
    - I know that I need to negotiate dealer installed options. Do they include things such as carpets and splash guards?
    - I am thinking to get a silver SL AWD with the leather package. Additional options are splash guards, carpets, crossrail bars, and cargo area protector. What are the best prices you got?

Thanks,
    Ed
  • Options
    doug_tdoug_t Member Posts: 22
    Ed -

I started with a VPP claim # and got a price approximately $120 under invoice. It is very straight forward - you provide the VPP #, they plug in the target vehicle VIN, and you're given a price. At least that's how it looked to me. I knew I could probably do a bit better in price, but to get a competitive price with no haggling was great, and I was happy. We worked out the lease #s, and everything was to my satisfaction

However, things got fuzzy when I insisted they would need to make the final payment on my current lease ($415) on order to close the deal then and there - not work it into the Murano price, but just pay it outright (which was something I had mentioned from the start). They claimed that this would take me out of VPP and throw if the whole pricing, blah blah blah. Not sure if I believe that. Regardless, I feel VPP served me well here anyway, as I was confident enough to say "ok, see you next month" and get up knowing VPP would give me the same price a month from now. I honestly was not even trying to push them, but they then agreed to make the payment.

In the end, I think they may not have put it through VPP, but at that point it didn't matter to me. My payments were based on the VPP price, so how they made it work for them on their end was not my conern.

So, can you negotiate off VPP? Sort of, I guess. But I would say that the leverage you get knowing you have a set price that's good today, tomorrow, next month, etc. is worth quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

- Doug
  • Options
    biglabigla Member Posts: 4
    I know you must have heard this a million times already, but can anyone tell me how to get a VPP#? I am in the market to buy within the week and would ideally have the number for some leverage. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    edgt,

Would you be able to tell me how you acquired your VPP#? I am looking to purchase a loaded SL AWD within the next week or so, but would love to go in there with some leverage. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Brian
  • Options
    edgtedgt Member Posts: 2
    Dear Brian,

Here is the link for the VPP program:
    http://www.insidenissan.com/
    You can only use it if your company has a deal with Nisaan.

Good luck for your Murano hunting...

Ed
  • Options
    georgeholanogeorgeholano Member Posts: 2
    I was told i can lease a murano SE -w/ Touring package for $442.00 a month for 39 Months with $650.)) down payment. Does that sound Right. Can someome please send remarks.
    Thanks GeorgeHOlano@aol.com
  • Options
    threeboysthreeboys Member Posts: 3
    I am sure you are very popular being able to share VPP numbers, but i would love to get one as I hope to buy this summer. Can you help? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    i am about to purchase a Murano and I am looking for any comments about 2004 models. I will be purchasing an AWD model. Has anyone had trouble with the vehicle in the snow? thanks.
  • Options
    i use to sell cars and i can tell you that what they did was low ball you with a price, making you believe that you had a great deal, but the entire time they knew they would not sell it to you until they could screw you, which is what they are doing, on the back end in financing; this is where most profit is made! You need to walk and start over; remember, there is another shinny blue one sitting 10 miles down the road; i would laugh in their face if they said i had to do anything!
  • Options
    Ed,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I will check with my company to see if we participate in the VPP program. But, if we don't, is there any other way of obtaining a VPP#? I don't know if you could help in that regard. Please feel free to contact me at kayg24@netzero.net if you can provide further details.

Thanks again,
    Brian
  • Options
    bighowbighow Member Posts: 1
    Test drove Murano AWD SL with Touring, Navi, and VDC at Ramsey Nissan. Salesman wanted $500 over invoice. Test drove same car at Fisher Nissan, dealer agreed to price at invoice $34313. I left a $100 refundable deposit. Called around to several other local dealers. Nissan All-brands came in with best price at less than $300 UNDER invoice. Fisher said they couldnt match it. I picked up my deposit and next week picking up my new Murano. Igor at All-brands was very easy to deal with.
  • Options
    nitelynitely Member Posts: 7
    I finally got my black se yesterday. As agreed 3 months ago 800 under invoice plus tax and license. the car seemed fine except for some lite scratches on the door handles. Gave me a buffer/fix it job tag for it --no biggy. Was sorta dissapointed with the dealer for not giving me a call as I was the one who saw it in the nissan inventory site. Gave them a call and he appologized for it and explained that he had assigned another guy to do the internet sales and things got mixed up (or maybe he was trying to sell it to anyone for a higher price) There was about 29 miles on it so I figured its not too bad. Test drove it and really did a lot of slow full left and right turns and parrallel parking cause I was concerned about the power steeing issue--loss of power assist--but the car performed fine to me so far. I even let my wife do the same thing so she can feel ifits too heavy or not for her. Anyways, it pass my test and so we decided to get it. One thing though, is computation of sales tax done where you bought the car or where you are registering it? Price bumped 84 bucks for a .25% difference.
    All is good so far. We are happy with the purchase! Did not get any extended warrantys or prepaid serviced plans but I am thinking about the touch of class thing--coating for the exterior and interior of the car package.--or maybe have some other people do it. Will see...
  • Options
    ravanbajravanbaj Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to purchase a Murano and my dealor will match or beat any other price by a dealor. Please let me know which dealor gave you $800 BELOW INVOICE so I can tell my dealor, he can confirm, and I can get the same deal. Pleae help me. Thanks a bunch. Anyone else got a better deal....seems like this is the best so far...
  • Options
    nitelynitely Member Posts: 7
    Ravanbaj,

Yes you got it right. IF you go back on page 15 of this forum you will find where I got the car. Info actually originated from wilsonii who also resides in the sf bay area. I got the same deal as he did for for his 03 and my 04. However, I made the deal last Jan. 04 If you live in this area then try dublin auto. The guy who gave me the discount is not handling the internet sales anymore, but he is the man.-he assigned it to some other guy now. Good luck! Pretty sure they will be willing to go around 500 if not 800. Cause I found another place in redwood city willing to deal it for 5 round the same time.
  • Options
    dball1944dball1944 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Murano at George Harte Nissan in West Haven, CT for $300 below invoice. I've sent two friends to the dealership and they were treated with equally good deals. I have a good relationship with them due to the problems I experienced with an 04 Quest purchased last Oct. The staff supported my ordeal pursuing the CT Lemon Law. If you are in the market for a Nissan and need some help with pricing, email me. I'll give you the names to contact. Good luck Dball1944@aol.com
  • Options
    dball1944dball1944 Member Posts: 6
    For your information-Door protective moldings are not available through Nissan. I found custom moldings @ SPORTWING.com They attach easily[adhesive back] and look factory installed. The colors match perfectly. Price $114-$129 with shipping. I ordered 3 sets,1 for me and 2 for friends. We are all satisfied. Dball1944
  • Options
    dmancdmanc Member Posts: 1
    Gone to Maui

Any chance you can help us with a VPP number. We're buying this week and would really appreciate the help.

Dale
  • Options
    dijdij Member Posts: 9
    I think you have to work for a company that is a Nissan supplier to get a VPP number. Also, somebody (I'm not sure whether it's the company or Nissan) pays part of the discount back to the dealer. Just getting a number isn't going to help you...
  • Options
    rtwhisrtwhis Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what approximate discount % on a Murano demo with 5000 miles on it should be?
  • Options
    dijdij Member Posts: 9
    Use this site to get a ballpark figure for a USED vehicle. Plug in the specs for the one you want and see what it says.
  • Options
    bts10bts10 Member Posts: 1
    The last car I bought (not a Murano) was a demo. The dealer wanted to discount it by $500. I countered using the IRS mileage table at 36 cents/mile. Mine had 6000 miles. In the end we agreed on 1,800.
  • Options
    laketapps1laketapps1 Member Posts: 1
    Well based on the CA market I did not get a good deal, but based on running all around the area I got an ok deal. $200 over invoice for a loaded black SL awd.

I think I could have gotten sub $100 over invoice, but I was getting rid of my prior ride and did not want to sell it on my own. So I was giving up some to get some.

Puyallup Nissan is where I bought.

Good luck
  • Options
    ronzronz Member Posts: 1
    I was looking for SE model with particular packages for about 3 weeks. I found only one dealership (Samsone in Woodbridge, NJ) in 100 miles area radius that had it.
    After conversation on the phone in the morning with a dealer I drove to dealership in the afternoon around 12pm and before 5pm I was driving my very own Murano SE with packages that I wanted with 32 miles on it and the price $1,147.00 below the invoice.
    So many thanks to edmuns.com and to you guys for sharing your experiences!

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    hlinhlin Member Posts: 4
    Maui:
    I was wondering if you can assist with getting a VPP number. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you very much
    hlin37@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    you don't want to post your email here. Spammers are known to go through boards and pick up email addresses. Better to make your email public.
  • Options
    liz1liz1 Member Posts: 1
    I've read several of the posts about prices and the range of over-invoice payments from 2003 Muranos. There was only one from my area.

Anybody have any advice/experience with 2004 model FMVs in the Cleveland/Akron area? I would love to have even general advice about negotiating a deal.

I want to buy a 2004 AWD SL Murano. This would be the first Nissan for me and the 5th (and most expensive) car I've owned. I have been careful not to let the dealers see my old car, btw.

I know the options I want. The closest Nissan dealer is only a few miles from my home. I'd like to give them my business. To get a figure from a dealer an hour away to use for negotiation, I e-mailed and asked for a Fax of worksheet and invoice.

I had to e-mail twice and ignore multiple phone calls at home. They finally sent a "current configuration" sheet on a model they have "found suited to my specifications."

I take that to mean they can get it from somewhere else. The sheet includes two expensive options I don't want and a "freight charge" of $560.

Is the freight charge legit or bogus? My brother drives cars between dealerships and I don't think he gets paid that much to do it. Would they truck a single car? Since I am not in a rush to have the car <>right now, would ordering a brand new one mean 0 freight charge?

As I said, I want to be as prepared as I can be to negotiate from a position of confidence, so any help would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    gust334gust334 Member Posts: 75
    Edmunds has more detailed information here somewhere, but the short version is, yes, a freight charge is a legitimate cost incurred by a dealership and passed onto the buyer. The exact amount varies from locale to locale, but $560 is not way out of line for an imported vehicle in the midwest.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    First, focus on the out the door price and don't get too bogged down in the line items.

Second, most all car manufacturers charge a destination or delivery fee, and it should be listed on the Monroney label on the new car.

If the dealer is adding an additional freight charge to the factory sticker, it's bogus, unless they are doing a dealer swap. Even then, most dealers won't charge extra for the swap.

In this case, we show a Destination Charge of $560 for the Murano, so it looks legit (link). And no, you can't get the destination charge waived (which takes me back to the "focus on the out the door price" advice).

Lots more buying advice here:

Tips & Advice

Steve, Host
  • Options
    countcianocountciano Member Posts: 1
    I've been working with dealers on Long Island and have negotiated similar pricing from two dealers:

Murano SL AWD w/Touring and VDC
    Splash Guards, Wind Deflector, Cargo Cover, Mats
    MSRP is $35,830
    Invoice is $32,670
    negotiated price is: $31,150

When I went to close with one dealer, I asked for the 1.9% financing and was told it was not available with the rebate, however in all prior pricing discussions no rebate was ever mentioned. The dealer offered to get me financing and I told him I could get my own 3.9% financing from a credit union. The dealer then said he could get 3.5% financing, but in all my searches on Bankrate.com, no one is offering 3.5%. I suspect the dealer can offer the 1.9% but won't and is offering the 3.5% to pocket the difference.

Does this sound logical? Has anyone else experienced this with dealers?

Anyone else getting pricing like this?
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Check out CarMax.com's web site dealer in white marsh MD (DC).

They have two MO's lsited that have MSRP's of $35,730, with invoices of $32,631 and they are selling for $31,248 which are all very close to what you've posted.

Will the dealer give you the 1.9 if you pay a $1,000 more? Would you want to, is of course another question?

CarMax's web site indicates that there is a $1,000 rebate included in their pricing so it sounds like the dealer is probably being straight with you about the financing not being available with the rebate.

Your pricing is pretty good, based on CarMax's "no haggle" price, but you may be able to do even better if you wait another 10 days or so. The prices usually sharpen up in the last couple of selling days of each month.
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I just recently bought an MO from carmax 2 weeks ago, they had already priced it 450 under invoice and then they took another 1k off the price before Nissan even announced the 1k cash back program. They're totally straight about not being able to combine the financing and rebate, and I seriously doubt they're going to come down in price for the end of the month. That's not how their business model is set up, they already are appx. 1.5k under the invoice, how much more do you think they're going to drop?
  • Options
    davy45davy45 Member Posts: 5
    I took delivery of my new '04 SL last night.
    It has the Touring Package, Dynamic Control Package, splash guards, cargo area protector and Carpeted floor mats.
    MSRP: $34,160
    Invoice: $31,153
    Negotiated price: $27,849. $3300 under invoice.
    The negotiated price included a credit to me for a buyout of my existing lease. I still have the leased car to use for 3 months. Very pleased with the deal and with the dealer.
  • Options
    davy45davy45 Member Posts: 5
    By the way, thanks to all those who posted previously. The information was greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Did Nissan miss the price point on this car, or what? $1500. under invoice. It'll probably be $2500. under in October! And 2003s are still floating around! Wazzup with this car??

I can't decide among the Pilot, Murano and FX35..... Too many choices, with prices dropping on all of them!
  • Options
    satyasatya Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Anybody could help me what is the best price we can get it for NISSAN Murano SL AWD. I wan to buy the vehicle in immediately. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    barbar1barbar1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like any or all help in what I should
     expect to pay in my state for a new or 2003
     Mo. I also travel in my job, which doesn't allow me much time to sell my great "Honda Accord-EX"
    with 180K. Looked up KKB and saw $4346 for price.
    But I visited dealers and they will only trade
    for $2500, oh yes I know they will take it to
    the auction and sell it. But this car has been
    garaged kept and babied since I have owned it.
    I have all the records, etc. Since I am a woman
    they think I am stupid, but I really have been
    educating myself on Edmunds and have learned a
    great deal. I would like to purchase a Mo with
    all options except leather interior. Getting in
    and out of the vehicle all day long will be better
    with Cloth interior. I have been priced on the
    car here from $$29,999 to $35,000. Would like
    some feedback.
    Thanks,
    barbcar1
  • Options
    gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    I figured out how he got to the price ,they gave him more his trade than what he owed on it!!!!
  • Options
    chuntchunt Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 SL AWD from Collins Nissan here in Louisville in April. I had done my research and told them that I could purchase the vehicle from Carmax in Baltimore for $500 under invoice and could they match that. They did, with no hassle whatsoever. I would suggest that you check with them and also see what Carmax can do at this time.
  • Options
    satyasatya Member Posts: 5
    Hi Davy,

Could you pl send me the dealer details as I want to buy Murano for the same price you got it for.

Satya
  • Options
    hshkhshk Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Thanks for posting the info. How did you negotiate the price? Did you take any facts with you? Any idea whether the dealers are already getting back annual inventory clearance allowance from the manufacturer? When is the 2005 model due?

I am in for a new SL AWD and looking for a good deal in colorado.