Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

2WD 4Runner = Faux Runner :D

Surprisingly, there are more of them out there for sale than you might realize.

Don't you remember the "Pre Runner" versions of the Tacoma in the late 90's, that were also 2WD?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

@fintail said:

I'd be looking for any LHD oddball Euro stuff to ship over.

I always click through the euro stuff. As you’d expect, they aren’t exactly plentiful.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@Michaell,
    That's why they are for sale. HA HA

I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of them buying it originally, knowing it had 2WD.

Oh well, it is California...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565

@Michaell,
    That's why they are for sale. HA HA

————————————————
    Those are the folks that are being pro active and are selling to get the 4WD version. They believe the prediction that global warming means more sunshine for southern CA and they’ll need more power to plow through it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    @Michaell

1200 miles? Buy the furniture in Spokane. At a thrift store, if you have to.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

@Michaell

1200 miles? Buy the furniture in Spokane. At a thrift store, if you have to.

With the move into a slightly smaller home, my sister had some leftover furniture that wouldn't fit - she put it in storage specifically for him to use.

I will mention your idea to my sister, so she can save the cost of transportation - gas, lodging, food - for the drive north.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393

Have to second @kyfdx. That’s a long haul to take furniture that is going to end up…hmmm…well loved?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @nyccarguy,
    Some people just don't like riding in the 3rd row, makes them feel carsick.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

@nyccarguy said:
    So this past Friday, I officially made 1 full year with the Wrangler. I put just under 23,000 miles on it. Which brings me to my next topic for the group. A little over 13 months ago, I sold our somewhat aging & somewhat less trustworthy 2017 Pilot and bought a very nice 2022 Highlander. I knew going into it that the Highlander was a little smaller than the Pilot when it came to interior cargo space and 3rd row passenger space. I thought the difference was something we could deal with as 90 something percent of the time, we don’t have it loaded with 5 passengers plus luggage. It isn’t. Friday we left to go skiing in Vermont for the day. We stayed at an inn overnight and skied yesterday. We had the skis and poles up in a cargo box that we borrowed from a friend. My wife and I shared a suitcase. Each one of our children had a very small roller suitcase. In addition we had ski boots, jackets, snowpants, & helmets which take up a lot of room. The car was just too cramped. I was comfortable driving it, but it is always an issue with who sits in the 3rd row. It never was with any of our Pilots.

My 11 year old daughter who I’m sure has ADHD was crying back there to the point where I pulled over and put her in the 2nd row and have my 5’10” 16 back there.

I’ve got to start looking into some other options. I’m pretty certain I can get out of my Highlander free and clear.

Assume you have captain’s chairs in the middle? I’d roll with something that has a middle bench like our XC90. It allows three in the middle with a pretty large cargo area. We load it up fairly frequently, at first I thought we made a mistake going from the larger Enclave but it’s been working.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

I just checked my FICO score; it’s increased 12 points since I took out the car loan for the C43.

Go figure.

————————————————
    You get points for helping the economy but not as many as @breld.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    qbrozen said:

FYI, mach e values, including the GT, have been plummeting.

In Pajero MINI news, new plugs solved the stuttering under load problem.

Seems to me the GT values in particular are dropping. I’m glad we got all the tax credits, which helps mitigate the drop in values, but we figured we’d be in the Mach E for a longer haul than usual. Good think the wife loves the car and the color.

If I wasn’t so averse to owning two of the same cars, I’d consider another Mach E for myself. It’s a nice package.

I will say the dealers here in CO don’t seem to have received the memo of lower values on the Mach E…though I bet they would bring that up if you tried to trade one in.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited March 2023
    @nyccarguy - best of luck finding a better solution for the family hauling needs. Keeping the kids comfortable on these longer drives is about a solid reason there is for switching for sure.

Assuming you stay in the same class of vehicle, I would say the Telluride/Palisade is super nice. At least around here, availability is getting better. I was offered a nice Telluride SX Prestige at MSRP last week.

Or what about the new Grand Highlander?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Highlander has a small 3rd row. Shoulder room 45, Hip Room 36, Leg room 28.
    Telluride is SR 55, HR 44, LR 31.
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@breld said:
    Seems to me the GT values in particular are dropping. I’m glad we got all the tax credits, which helps mitigate the drop in values, but we figured we’d be in the Mach E for a longer haul than usual. Good think the wife loves the car and the color.

If I wasn’t so averse to owning two of the same cars, I’d consider another Mach E for myself. It’s a nice package.

I will say the dealers here in CO don’t seem to have received the memo of lower values on the Mach E…though I bet they would bring that up if you tried to trade one in.

May stretch the Mach e out to 7 months, eh?😂

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

@breld said:

May stretch the Mach e out to 7 months, eh?😂

Actually, I asked Mrs. @breld about how long she's likely to keep it. I got the impression it could be in the stable a good, long time.

We also talked about how every one of "her" cars has a firm suspension - MINI JCW, Bronco and the Mach-E GT Performance, though I didn't feel that the Mach-E rode that roughly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

Got a nice postcard from the DMV that says it is time to get the Prelude’s emissions tested. Took out the battery, returned to Costco, and paid $36 for a new one. Installed and the car fired right up. Maybe a sign of good things to come.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

This insanity showed up in my FB feed. The same dealer also had a couple of Teslas that seemed overpriced. The Solstice GXPs were highly regarded, but I don’t know who would pay this much for one.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393

@corvette said:

This insanity showed up in my FB feed. The same dealer also had a couple of Teslas that seemed overpriced. The Solstice GXPs were highly regarded, but I don’t know who would pay this much for one.

seems a little rich.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I like the car though. just cut the price by 65% and I am in.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Is that ad from 2008?
  • Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

I just checked my FICO score; it’s increased 12 points since I took out the car loan for the C43.

Go figure.

Mine did the same. I wonder what's going on?

Oh. We were talking about the dealer getting his spiff from getting a loan for the buyer a while ago.
    I called my dealer to find out how long I had to keep the loan. He said they would have a charge back to BMW if I paid it off before June. I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long, but we will see.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    weird algorithms. Use credit, and they think you are good so score goes up. as long as you don't close credit lines/cards, so your same total debt is a bigger % of available, which makes your score go down.

and sunspots.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

Update on the Prelude. Made it across town to where I need to have the emissions test done. Tires are beyond shot. They made so much noise that I didn’t take the car above 25 mph.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Michaell said:
    looks nice enough. basic equipment, but should be cheap to run.

Is that 2.0 an engine that you have to park outside, well away from the house, or is that just the 2.4?

• Options
    venture said:

I called my dealer to find out how long I had to keep the loan. He said they would have a charge back to BMW if I paid it off before June. I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long, but we will see.

IMO, unless you explicitly promised otherwise when you bought the car, refinance or pay it off whenever you want. The dealer's loss of a kickback from the financing company is not your problem.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Michaell said:

Actually, I asked Mrs. @breld about how long she's likely to keep it. I got the impression it could be in the stable a good, long time.

We also talked about how every one of "her" cars has a firm suspension - MINI JCW, Bronco and the Mach-E GT Performance, though I didn't feel that the Mach-E rode that roughly.

My wife has similar tastes; she really likes the C43 and in Sport+ its a lot stiffer than my old M235i.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Michaell said:

Maybe @nyccarguy can borrow his dad's new Tahoe for the skiing trips. Or rent something bigger.

Seems like another situation where you're getting a car for a 5% use case.

A good suggestion indeed.

How many people were going skiing using the Highlander? It doesn’t strike me as particularly small.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    corvette said:

venture said:

IMO, unless you explicitly promised otherwise when you bought the car, refinance or pay it off whenever you want. The dealer's loss of a kickback from the financing company is not your problem.
    If you ask, and then hit the dealer with a $500 chargeback to save $50? That’s just mean. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    au1994 said:

QX/Armada is a good suggestion. Certainly would solve the space issue!

He'll have to cash out an IRA to pay for the additional fuel cost.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Michaell said:

Maybe @nyccarguy can borrow his dad's new Tahoe for the skiing trips. Or rent something bigger.

Seems like another situation where you're getting a car for a 5% use case.

I agree. I don't think we're looking for practical solutions, necessarily, but I definitely wouldn't be itching to get into something bigger knowing that it is going to cost quite a bit more to drive it around for the other 95% of the time. However, if it's gotta be, then I second the minivan suggestion! Siennas are cavernous.

Putting a hitch-mounted tray on the car would be a huge space-saver for the inside of the car, and you could put a hard, lockable, storage bin on it that would swallow most of what you need to bring on those bigger trips. The bonus, of course, is that you don't have to haul it around the rest of the time, and it has zero effect on your fuel economy. Something on the roof works when necessary, but it sure slams the economy!

The comment about seeing out the back window made me chuckle. I don't think I've ever taken a long trip where I *could* see out the back window! However, I certainly accept that my standards on space, comfort, and distance are significantly different than most people's.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    kyfdx said:

If you ask, and then hit the dealer with a $500 chargeback to save $50? That’s just mean. ;)

I agree, but some would argue that the question shouldn't have been asked.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

He will be moving up there in August, and my sister and BIL will go with him and take a small U-Haul of his furniture for his apartment (yes, I've been in touch with @fintail about life in the area). Looking on Google Maps, it turns out that it's a 1200+ mile drive and over 20 hours from SD to Spokane, only a portion of which is on interstates - most of it is on US Hwy 395 or US 95, through a lot of desolate stretches in CA, NV and OR.

No big deal, but they should make sure the trailer has good tires on it given the isolation of some stretches. The roads themselves are fantastic (in my experience) and mostly quite high speed, with the last stretch of 395 through the whole stretch of Washington nearly indistinguishable from an officially-labeled interstate.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    edited March 2023
    corvette said:

That’s pretty pricey for a 16 year old orphan. What did they put out? 240, 260hp? I thought one of those might be nice back in 2008 but the Eclipse put out a little more horsepower and unlike the Pontiac, I could fit in it.

Oh and the original sticker on the Eclipse was $4k less than what they’re asking for that car today.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I know I annoyed my wife with it, but packing to be able to see out the back window was an obsession with me. Never an issue with the Minivan. Or the Maverick with the tonneau cover closed. The RDXs well, that could be a challenge! Good thing with the new RDX, can't see much out the back anyway so don't need a big slot. Mostly so can see if there is a car back there.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Michaell said:
    A Kia Soul with the same engine would cost the same or less and be roomier

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    a hamster mobile, every 19 YO boy's dream!

• Options
    stickguy said:

Michaell said:
    looks nice enough. basic equipment, but should be cheap to run.

Is that 2.0 an engine that you have to park outside, well away from the house, or is that just the 2.4?
    I don’t think the 2.0 has problems like that, just metal flakes eating up the bearings. By 30k miles they’ve probably ruled that particular engine having the problem.

• Options
    well, at least that won't burn your house down.

• Options
    xwesx said:

Michaell said:

He will be moving up there in August, and my sister and BIL will go with him and take a small U-Haul of his furniture for his apartment (yes, I've been in touch with @fintail about life in the area). Looking on Google Maps, it turns out that it's a 1200+ mile drive and over 20 hours from SD to Spokane, only a portion of which is on interstates - most of it is on US Hwy 395 or US 95, through a lot of desolate stretches in CA, NV and OR.

No big deal, but they should make sure the trailer has good tires on it given the isolation of some stretches. The roads themselves are fantastic (in my experience) and mostly quite high speed, with the last stretch of 395 through the whole stretch of Washington nearly indistinguishable from an officially-labeled interstate.
    Trailer? Who said anything about a trailer?

My sister mentioned a 10’ cube truck for the move. They would rotate drivers every few hours between the three of them.

Thanks for the feedback on the roads - that’s good information to have.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

Michaell said:
    A Kia Soul with the same engine would cost the same or less and be roomier
    He hates hatchbacks, and would prefer a sedan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

@Michaell said:

————————————————
    Isn’t “a good, long time”, relative?

jmonroe

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@Michaell said:

————————————————

Isn’t “a good, long time”, relative?

jmonroe

In the @breld household yes, yes it is.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

@venture said:
    Mine did the same. I wonder what's going on?

Oh. We were talking about the dealer getting his spiff from getting a loan for the buyer a while ago.

————————————————
    You could be in the drivers seat with this. Negotiate with the dealer to see what it’s worth to them for you to keep the loan until June.

As always, “if you don’t ask, you don’t get”.

jmonroe

• Options
    Michaell said:

xwesx said:

Michaell said:

My sister mentioned a 10’ cube truck for the move. They would rotate drivers every few hours between the three of them.

do I have this right, they are taking his car (to stay) and the truck, so the parents would have to then fly home?

did they price the truck part? They are surprisingly expensive now. a 10' box truck (from my vast UHaul experience, those are clapped out GMCs) can easily run $700-$800 just for the truck (maybe more with tax and the CDW you need to get). Plus 100 gallons of gas at CA prices (well, some Oregon/Washington). So figure what, another $400? Then of course, 1 way tickets back home. Which they would have anyway if they just drove out with him (though would not leave much room for stuff).

so figure, could you replace the stuff the truck would have for $1,200 and save the hassle? Oh, and needing to stay a night in the middle of course, because 1,200 miles in one of those straight through sounds horrible!

one option if they have it, is Hertz. and drive both ways. I did that when I moved the princess from Philly to Boston (with a detour to drop stuff off in Albany). UHaul was a fortune, but the hertz local office had a Transit van (the Long one, high roof) they rented as a normal car (actually cheapest thing they had) I think it was about $50/day, unlimited miles. So we drove that up and back, did not need a 2nd car, over a 3 day weekend, and spent about $150 plus gas (and it got nearly as good mileage as our Acura!). Bargain of the century, but that would be another 1,200 miles back.

• Options
    Michaell said:

xwesx said:

Michaell said:

Sorry. You said UHaul. I pictured a trailer. Hahah