VW TDI Settlement - buying a TDI now

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,927
    Looking back, wishing I had gone the SEL route with my Golf TSI as it had some extra goodies I'd really appreciate now. Also wish I'd have done the lighting package...a bit pricey but pretty cool and now when I see one in my rear view mirror or coming at me, I kick myself inside. Who knew that I'd like the Golf this much, never thought that in a million years. But still intrigued by the Mini Cooper Countryman and will keep my eyes open when the time comes. Thinking one with the 16" or possibly the 17" won't have such a jarring ride. They fit my size requirement and with the right alloys and color combo, think I could dig it for a few years. Planning on getting a retirement car and hoping it'll be brand new but that's depending if I go BMW or MB, too expensive new. Luckily, I've got a couple more years to think about all this.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,015
    corvette said:

Are you keeping the ZHP? 

Yes.. definitely.

Anyway, the salesperson calls me today at 4:30 PM. "Hey, another salesperson has someone coming in to look at that blue wagon. How fast can you get here?"

Uh.. not today, but that's okay.

Texts me later, saying that person couldn't qualify for financing, can I come look at it tomorrow? Sure.

So, checking the website inventory, and the SEL hatchback is gone, and the discounts have disappeared on all of the TDIs, other than the $5000 incentive. So, instead of $19K for the $25,735 MSRP wagon, the price now shows $20,735.

I'll probably go out and drive it tomorrow, because I'm curious. But, we might be headed the wrong direction on price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

breld said:

Tough choice @kyfdx, assuming you like one or both of them enough to purchase one. A manual wagon is always cool, but an SEL hatch definitely has nice features, including upgraded seats.

You know.. $23K is great for that SEL hatch, even though it's a 2015, and with 72 month free financing. But, I'd rather have a GTI like yours. Plus that wagon would definitely be easy to sell, if I got bored with it, and without much of a loss. But, if pricing goes up, I'll be out. (and, probably should be, anyway)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,317

Looking back, wishing I had gone the SEL route with my Golf TSI as it had some extra goodies I'd really appreciate now. Also wish I'd have done the lighting package...a bit pricey but pretty cool and now when I see one in my rear view mirror or coming at me, I kick myself inside. Who knew that I'd like the Golf this much, never thought that in a million years. But still intrigued by the Mini Cooper Countryman and will keep my eyes open when the time comes. Thinking one with the 16" or possibly the 17" won't have such a jarring ride. They fit my size requirement and with the right alloys and color combo, think I could dig it for a few years. Planning on getting a retirement car and hoping it'll be brand new but that's depending if I go BMW or MB, too expensive new. Luckily, I've got a couple more years to think about all this.

Sandy, you really need to go test drive the Countryman. It isn't the tire size that affects the ride, it's the suspension. It's quite firm compared to my Jetta. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,691
    @sandman_6472 - it's worth trying out the new countryman when the time comes. I think the new platform is more refined than the previous one.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

kyfdx said:

breld said:

Tough choice @kyfdx, assuming you like one or both of them enough to purchase one. A manual wagon is always cool, but an SEL hatch definitely has nice features, including upgraded seats.

You know.. $23K is great for that SEL hatch, even though it's a 2015, and with 72 month free financing. But, I'd rather have a GTI like yours. Plus that wagon would definitely be easy to sell, if I got bored with it, and without much of a loss. But, if pricing goes up, I'll be out. (and, probably should be, anyway)
    I was going to point out that if you're thinking of dropping $23k on the hatch, that would get you a GTI; a couple grand more for a Sport model. You'd be down some features, but certainly gaining what the GTI offers.

Or you could just wait for mine. ;)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,236
    im in Ireland this week. Everything is a stick shift diesel here! My rental is a diesel. Very nice driving. Big fan.

Also saw a VW golf GTD yesterday. That was nice looking.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,884
    stickguy said:

im in Ireland this week. Everything is a stick shift diesel here! My rental is a diesel. Very nice driving. Big fan.

Also saw a VW golf GTD yesterday. That was nice looking.

I haven't been to Ireland but lived outside of London and traveled in Wales and Scotland. Truly beautiful countryside. Enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@stickguy Very jealous. Your daughter is studying there, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

I was going to point out that if you're thinking of dropping $23k on the hatch, that would get you a GTI; a couple grand more for a Sport model. You'd be down some features, but certainly gaining what the GTI offers.

Yeah.. the hatch is gone. They have two stickshift wagons. One blue, one black. Supposedly, the blue one fell through last night, but the salesperson texted me this morning they sold it at closing time, last night. Just the one black on black wagon, left.

I think they are realizing that the demand is there. I'm not likely to score a deal, and the more I think about it, not really the right car or time for me.

Your GTI is garaged, right? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,193
    That is crazy. I'd lease a fully loaded Passat TDI if it were under $200 a month, but that's just a pipe dream. 
    corvette said:

That is crazy. I'd lease a fully loaded Passat TDI if it were under $200 a month, but that's just a pipe dream. 

Yeah.. these are all stickshifts. They have plenty of automatic Jetta and Passat TDIs, but I don't think the leases are very good. Also, the resale value isn't there, like it is on the wagons.

If you are a 30K/yr road warrior, buying one with 0%/72 month financing would be a heck of a cheap way to drive for the next 3-6 years. But, I've only put 68K miles on my car in the 7 years I've had it, and getting less and less miles, each year.

If I could get my wife to go for a base Jetta TDI, with her 18K/yr mileage, I'd do it in a minute. Think she'd go for selling her X3? :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

At least based on your experience, these are getting snatched up much quicker than I would have ever thought!

That actually makes me happy for the dealers, who have been caught in the crossfire of the debacle for quite awhile.

kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

Yeah.. the hatch is gone. They have two stickshift wagons. One blue, one black. Supposedly, the blue one fell through last night, but the salesperson texted me this morning they sold it at closing time, last night. Just the one black on black wagon, left.

I think they are realizing that the demand is there. I'm not likely to score a deal, and the more I think about it, not really the right car or time for me.

Yes, it is garaged at home and at work. ;)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

the biggest knock on VW has always been reliability and durability. If they tame those issues and give people a good relatively trouble-free experience, there is no reason to believe VW will not do very well in sales, and get repeat buyers coming back for more.

Someone said the Alltrack was out because the lighting package was too difficult to get. Might want to look at the "aftermarket" on headlights. Might not be a great reason to rule out a car if you otherwise really like it. Seems like a relatively easy fix.

Like the GTI, you should be able to get 4,000 off sticker on an Alltrack unless demand has risen.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

the biggest knock on VW has always been reliability and durability. If they tame those issues and give people a good relatively trouble-free experience, there is no reason to believe VW will not do very well in sales, and get repeat buyers coming back for more.

Someone said the Alltrack was out because the lighting package was too difficult to get. Might want to look at the "aftermarket" on headlights. Might not be a great reason to rule out a car if you otherwise really like it. Seems like a relatively easy fix.

Like the GTI, you should be able to get 4,000 off sticker on an Alltrack unless demand has risen.
    I've had my Jetta 8 months (to the day!) and 3900 miles - has been back to the dealer twice for issues. First was the rattle in the drivers door, then last week the AC wasn't charged and a valve needed replacing. Neither were major issues, but it does speak to the build quality. I enjoy driving the Jetta every chance I get, but not sure I'd want to own one out of warranty.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,708
    Michaell said:

I've had my Jetta 8 months (to the day!) and 3900 miles - has been back to the dealer twice for issues. First was the rattle in the drivers door, then last week the AC wasn't charged and a valve needed replacing. Neither were major issues, but it does speak to the build quality. I enjoy driving the Jetta every chance I get, but not sure I'd want to own one out of warranty.

That's why new cars have a warranty - so you can sort out the little things that don't go perfectly correct during manufacture! Get out and drive that thing so you can make sure everything else is sound before you pass it off to the next guy. :)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Michaell said:

andres3 said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

I'd agree that your 2 issues (although minor) in 8 months is a bad trajectory. However, if at the end of your 36-month lease you still only had those same 2 issues to report, I think your confidence and trust level in the build quality would go way up. Time will tell.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,927
    So far, based on our A3 and Golf, very satisfied with things. Unless some act of G-d happens, plan on keeping mine for the long haul at this point. Found a great indie repair shop that only does Audi's and VW's right down the street. Once I hit that 36K point, will be getting service done there.
    Did drive a Mini Cooper last year and thought my Golf drove much better to be honest. But now that the new Countryman is out and hearing that it's based on the X1, very curious to see how it drives. Did like the Paceman but they no longer make those and just not sure if a coupe or sedan is what I would want. But since it's only the two of us here, thinking the coupe would work out just fine. The size is perfect and with the right rims, a very nice looking d d for me! Do anticipate less driving when I retire again and right now, that projected date is January of 2019 if all goes according to plan.
    Trust me, as much as I really do enjoy my Hertz job, if I win the lottery or someone throws an inheritance in my lap, I'd quit in a nano second. Then I could get my "toy", something with a drop top if we stay in South Florida.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

andres3 said:

Michaell said:

andres3 said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

I'd agree that your 2 issues (although minor) in 8 months is a bad trajectory. However, if at the end of your 36-month lease you still only had those same 2 issues to report, I think your confidence and trust level in the build quality would go way up. Time will tell.
    Agree with that statement. Our last VW was a '99 New Beetle, which we leased, then bought out at the end of the lease. In those days, buyouts were negotiable, and I think VW tossed in some sort of warranty. Which was good, because it went back to the dealer several times for work.

The issues with the Jetta has not soured me on the brand. If I had to get a new car tomorrow, it would likely be a Passat SE with the Tech package.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Michaell said:

Agree with that statement. Our last VW was a '99 New Beetle, which we leased, then bought out at the end of the lease. In those days, buyouts were negotiable, and I think VW tossed in some sort of warranty. Which was good, because it went back to the dealer several times for work.

The issues with the Jetta has not soured me on the brand. If I had to get a new car tomorrow, it would likely be a Passat SE with the Tech package.

Ditto for me with the Touareg, in fact in the other diesel forum @gagrice posted a link to the 2016 TDIs in the low 40's. I could be tempted.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited April 2017
    In context, VW can be considered the Euro equivalent of the AM Chevrolet/Ford . Japanese would be Toyota/Honda. While I've liked all of the above, none have been "completely" reliable/durable. Secondarily, VW diesels have been more reiliable/durable.

Anecdotally, I've had more trouble with Chevrolet/Ford, Toyota/Honda. Each has proffered less than satisfactory " stepping up to the plate" warranty work.

When I've had issues with VW, they have "stepped up to the plate"a LOT better, which I have documented on this diesel site. Indeed, they have "stepped up to the plate" on work that was not under warranty. Drivetrain warranty was extended to 10 years and 100,000 miles, in one case. In the "diesel gate" cases, when buybacks are paid, I project depreciation/ownership costs to be app 1.5 cents to 3.5 cents per mile. (Each was bought new)

Settlement approved. Looks like another $350 coming my way. Still kicking myself for not buying 10 of them, but it would've been a logistical nightmare and a big downside if the settlement didn't go through. 
    Can you imagine the insurance on 10 vehicles? One of them would have been stolen, so you'd have a claim to deal with, and another would have been crashed into, even if you never drove it, so another hassle. :smile:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,811
    $350 check arrived in the mail today

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

$350 check arrived in the mail today

Really? Hope mine is on the way.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Happy to report that I received my check today as well!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Dang!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,290
    Nothing here. Don't really care either way. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Dang, nothing here either.
    Wife received her check in the mail yesterday! Go VW/Bosch! That $350 might help fund a large % of the cost of a new Bosch dishwasher.

Still waiting for my $350 from Chrysler to say they are sorry for making lemons in the 90's. Let alone $1,000 of goodwill like VW did.
    Ours came in the mail yesterday as well. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Same here!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited October 2017
    Just an FYI for those with three liter TDIs who have not yet signed up through the Claims Portal. This information came today:

The EPA and CARB have approved an Emissions Compliant Repair (ECR) for the [second generation] vehicle that you registered in the Online Claims Portal for the VW/Audi/Porsche 3.0L Diesel Emissions Settlements. For more information on the Emissions Compliant Repair, including information on what the modification involves, the impact (if any) that the modification will have on the vehicle and the terms of the extended emissions warranty, please view the information available here. With the approval of the ECR, Repair Participation Payments will no longer be issued for current owners and lessees of affected vehicles. Eligible Owners that have already received a Participation Payment will receive the remainder of their Repair Payment after the completion of an ECR on their vehicle, and full Repair Payments will be issued to Eligible Owners who have not received Participation Payments after they have filed a complete and valid claim and completed the ECR on their vehicle.

What do I need to do now?

If you have not yet submitted supporting information and documentation for your claim to participate in the Settlement Program, you may submit a claim through the Online Claims Portal or the Paper Claims Form. Instructions on how to complete your claim and accept the ECR can be found here. As mentioned, with approval of the ECR, Repair Participation Payments will no longer be extended. After filing a claim, Current Owners and Lessees that wish to participate in the Settlement should schedule an appointment with their preferred dealership for completion of the repair.

If you already submitted a claim and selected an Emissions Compliant Repair as your remedy, we will continue to process your claim in the normal claims review process.

If you have already received and accepted an offer letter for an Emissions Compliant Repair and your signed offer letter has been accepted by Volkswagen, you may now schedule your appointment for an ECR directly with your preferred dealership. If you have an upcoming Repair Participation Payment appointment scheduled, you will be notified of its cancelation and instructed to schedule an appointment for an ECR directly with your preferred dealership. Dealerships will be equipped with the necessary materials to complete the Emissions Compliant Repair after November 6, 2017. Appointment availability will vary by dealership.

If you do not wish to participate in the Settlement Program but want to get an Emissions Compliant Repair on your vehicle, you may schedule an appointment directly with your preferred dealer after November 6, 2017.

Upon completion of the Emissions Compliant Repair, eligible consumers participating in the Settlement Program will receive payment of an amount to which they are entitled.

If you file a claim and have the Emissions Compliant Repair completed, you have the option to receive payment via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or paper check. If you select paper check a check will be mailed to the mailing address on your claim. If you select EFT, click here to see information on how to accept the Electronic Funds Transfer.
    xwesx said:

Just an FYI for those with three liter TDIs who have not yet signed up through the Claims Portal. This information came today:

The EPA and CARB have approved an Emissions Compliant Repair (ECR) for the [second generation] vehicle that you registered in the Online Claims Portal for the VW/Audi/Porsche 3.0L Diesel Emissions Settlements. For more information on the Emissions Compliant Repair, including information on what the modification involves, the impact (if any) that the modification will have on the vehicle and the terms of the extended emissions warranty, please view the information available here. With the approval of the ECR, Repair Participation Payments will no longer be issued for current owners and lessees of affected vehicles. Eligible Owners that have already received a Participation Payment will receive the remainder of their Repair Payment after the completion of an ECR on their vehicle, and full Repair Payments will be issued to Eligible Owners who have not received Participation Payments after they have filed a complete and valid claim and completed the ECR on their vehicle.

What do I need to do now?

If you have not yet submitted supporting information and documentation for your claim to participate in the Settlement Program, you may submit a claim through the Online Claims Portal or the Paper Claims Form. Instructions on how to complete your claim and accept the ECR can be found here. As mentioned, with approval of the ECR, Repair Participation Payments will no longer be extended. After filing a claim, Current Owners and Lessees that wish to participate in the Settlement should schedule an appointment with their preferred dealership for completion of the repair.

If you already submitted a claim and selected an Emissions Compliant Repair as your remedy, we will continue to process your claim in the normal claims review process.

If you have already received and accepted an offer letter for an Emissions Compliant Repair and your signed offer letter has been accepted by Volkswagen, you may now schedule your appointment for an ECR directly with your preferred dealership. If you have an upcoming Repair Participation Payment appointment scheduled, you will be notified of its cancelation and instructed to schedule an appointment for an ECR directly with your preferred dealership. Dealerships will be equipped with the necessary materials to complete the Emissions Compliant Repair after November 6, 2017. Appointment availability will vary by dealership.

If you do not wish to participate in the Settlement Program but want to get an Emissions Compliant Repair on your vehicle, you may schedule an appointment directly with your preferred dealer after November 6, 2017.

Upon completion of the Emissions Compliant Repair, eligible consumers participating in the Settlement Program will receive payment of an amount to which they are entitled.

If you file a claim and have the Emissions Compliant Repair completed, you have the option to receive payment via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or paper check. If you select paper check a check will be mailed to the mailing address on your claim. If you select EFT, click here to see information on how to accept the Electronic Funds Transfer.

Is there a Cliff Notes version of the above?
    edited October 2017
    andres3 said:

It depends on whether you want to know what to do or not. LOL

Here is the -Wes- Notes version:

EPA and CARB approved VGoA's emission-compliant repair for the second generation 3.0L TDI vehicles. Get your modification performed today! (We'll even bribe you with cash!) :p

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

It depends on whether you want to know what to do or not. LOL

Here is the -Wes- Notes version:

EPA and CARB approved VGoA's emission-compliant repair for the second generation 3.0L TDI vehicles. Get your modification performed today! (We'll even bribe you with cash!) :p

How much do you get?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited October 2017
    I don't recall. Something like $8,500. Not enough, really, to warrant the purchase, but I'm still glad to have owned it.
    xwesx said:
    I don't recall. Something like $8,500. Not enough, really, to warrant the purchase, but I'm still glad to have owned it.
    Yeah, it’s a pretty sweet ride. 
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    I had 4 VW TDIs before cheatergate and we drivers knew they were a gross emission violation back then too, it was glaringly visually obvious. The soot clouds available for tailgators were truly glorious! Can I get a witness?!?!?!

Hear ye , hear ye:

Due to my decade of voluminous VW TDI unpaid soot-cloud cheating groundwork, each of you TDI cash-windfall people should be thankful enough to wire me some cash.
    (Alternatively if you don't want to do that and are low on cats, please instead grab a rescue cat from nearest shelter. Thank you!)

ps - on saturday I bought a chevy cruze diesel. 57 mpg for ~100 miles back from the dealership.. maybe there was cheating in its software, which will lead to a future annuity payout for me of ONE MILLLLLLLLLLION DOLLARS!!!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,811
    What is your address so I can send the cat?

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited October 2017
    Hah! Your levity is appreciated!

@elias: Is your Cruze a new model? Hatch or sedan? MT or AT?

EDIT: Nevermind! You have answered all questions elsewhere. :D

qbrozen said:

What is your address so I can send the cat?

https://xkcd.com/325/

Oh... my..... Best. Laugh. Ever.
    I wonder if the Green Peace members that owned TDI's donated a portion of their TDI windfall to environmental charities.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited November 2017
    Good ?

No real sense as to how many “fixed” VW TDI’s are getting back to the used car market place. I’ve been flipping a few stocks (with VW $$ settlements) waiting for TDI deals that makes sense & captures my eye.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    I will report back on whether favnerhugen is possible in a Chevy cruze diesel.

Please send any excess TDI cash windfalls and surplus grabbed cats to: "Elias, c/o Orangina, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave".
    edited November 2017
    No excess TDI windfall here—more like a shortfall. I got a check for $175 from the Bosch settlement, which is the amount paid to “eligible sellers.” I think I should have qualified as an “eligible owner” and gotten $350, since I turned mine in as part of the buyback. I don’t still have all of the documentation, so I’m not going to push back on it. 
    corvette said:

No excess TDI windfall here—more like a shortfall. I got a check for $175 from the Bosch settlement, which is the amount paid to “eligible sellers.” I think I should have qualified as an “eligible owner” and gotten $350, since I turned mine in as part of the buyback. I don’t still have all of the documentation, so I’m not going to push back on it. 

That's weird. I thought eligible sellers were the ones that sold before June 28, 2016. I wonder if they tightened up their definitions as time went on?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

That's weird. I thought eligible sellers were the ones that sold before June 28, 2016. I wonder if they tightened up their definitions as time went on?
    I think they just made a mistake on processing his. :(