Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2017 Honda Accord Deals and Prices

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited December 2016
    If we've missed anyone, please repost or PM/email or otherwise bump us and hopefully someone will pop in with comments. Lots of distractions going on this week. :)

I think I missed congratulating you @andreaaes and thanks for posting the details about your deal.
    everest77 said:

i am in Nashville, TN area, and am looking for a honda accord hybrid ex-l. I was going to pay cash, but was told not to, because the price would be lower with honda financing due to $1600 dealer cash.

One of the quotes I received was for accord hybrid ex-l with mud flaps, stripe, wheel locks, rear cargo tray, paint protection and interior protection for $27950 + 499 dealer doc fee + tax , title and registration.

Another dealer has offered $28423 plus installed options and fees ( I've asked to get clarity on the installed options and fees), and said the price would be $26823 plus installed options and fees if I financed through Honda finance.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dealers make money putting loans together so that's another reason that cash isn't king anymore.

I don't think paint protection or interior protection are worth paying for (basically they get a lot of money for wax and Scotchgard).

Lower is better. :)
    Been getting any decent quotes @strombolisteve?

Any other Mass buyers lurking, please report on your numbers. Signing up is easy and we won't spam you.
    edited January 2017
    chowee21 said:

New 2017 Accord EX-L
    $24400 OTD (excluding tax)

Good deal?

Hi @chowee21, invoice is $27,197, MSRP is $29,655 and TMV for a random zip code is $26,552. So TMV is about 10% off MSRP and about $700 below invoice.

We've some deals on the new Accords go for 13 to 15% or so below MSRP. Kind of depends on your area. Could be "good" if you are somewhere like Louisiana or in some more rural areas of the country.

You can plug your zip code in at this link and play with the numbers a bit. The idea is to beat TMV since it's an average.
  • cbdeka19cbdeka19 Posts: 2
    edited December 2016
    What's a good otd price for a ex-l in 90745? The dealer asked me in an email what I was looking to pay otd . I was originally looking at sports but have no idea about the average price for an ex-l, also this is with sensing and navigation 
  • robta4444robta4444 Posts: 3
    edited December 2016
    I found this forum and the posts very helpful so I want to share my deal.  Purchased a 2017 Accord Sport SE yesterday, Dec 28.  Cincinnati, Oh zip 45255.  

MSRP with destination was $27,050

Selling price with destination was $22,354.50
    Doc fee was $250 (capped at 250 in OH)
    Title and registration was $55.50
    Tax was $1340 (KY resident, 6%)
    Out the door was $24,000

I spent about 3 days working several dealers in the Cincinnati area, all via email.  Used Edmund's and Truecar as starting points for pricing inquiries.  Every quote through those services came back over $25,000 plus fees and TTL except one which quoted $23,052 plus fees and TTL.  I worked that dealer down to $22,704 via email and then a different one beat that to $22,594. I took that offer and another dealer's email that he'd beat any deal by $250 to a place I bought an Odyssey from 3 years ago. Did the test drive, made it clear I wanted my current best offer of $24,000 OTD beat.  Sales mgr came out and gave me the run around about his pricing compared to others  blah blah blah. So I got up and walked out. Drove across town to the dealer I wanted to buy from from the beginning and had confirmed over the phone that they would match any deal in writing and was out with my new car a couple hours later.  

Loving the car so far.  Good luck to all!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 128,328
    robta4444 said:

I found this forum and the posts very helpful so I want to share my deal.  Purchased a 2017 Accord Sport SE yesterday, Dec 28.  Cincinnati, Oh zip 45255.  

MSRP with destination was $27,050

Selling price with destination was $22,354.50
    Doc fee was $250 (capped at 250 in OH)
    Title and registration was $55.50
    Tax was $1340 (KY resident, 6%)
    Out the door was $24,000

I spent about 3 days working several dealers in the Cincinnati area, all via email.  Used Edmond's and Truecar as starting points for pricing inquiries.  Every quote through those services came back over $25,000 plus fees and TTL except one which quoted $23,052 plus fees and TTL.  I worked that dealer down to $22,704 via email and then a different one beat that to $22,594. I took that offer and another dealer's email that he'd beat any deal by $250 to a place I bought an Odyssey from 3 years ago. Did the test drive, made it clear I wanted my current best offer of $24,000 OTD beat.  Sales mgr came out and gave me the run around about his pricing compared to others  blah blah blah. So I got up and walked out. Drove across town to the dealer I wanted to buy from from the beginning and had confirmed over the phone that they would match any deal in writing and was out with my new car a couple hours later.  

Loving the car so far.  Good luck to all!

Congrats! Which dealer?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

cbdeka19 said:

What's a good otd price for a ex-l in 90745? The dealer asked me in an email what I was looking to pay otd . I was originally looking at sports but have no idea about the average price for an ex-l, also this is with sensing and navigation 

Hi @cbdeka19, 4 cylinder I assume.

For Cali, I add 10% for taxes and fees to get an approximate OTD price.

Invoice is $29,021, MSRP is $31,655 and the True Market Value for your zip is $28,434.

So 10% on top of the TMV average equals $31,277.

But we want to beat the average. TMV is about 10% off MSRP.

15% off MSRP would be $26,900, add in 10% and you'd be at $29,590 OTD. Somewhere around there would be a nice OTD target for your zip. I think @robta4444's deal (congrats!) was between 14 and 15% off MSRP.

The usual recommendation is to let the dealer give out a number first. But in this case, a 15% offer is within reason while letting the dealer know you are looking for a deal.

• Hi, happy for any help you guys can provide! Looking to buy a 2017 Accord Sport special edition with manual transmission. I live in CT, around 06824 area code. Haven't seen too many postings yet on this forum from CT buyers. I can also get to NY to purchase, not sure of which state is better tax and fee-wise. E-mailed a few local companies using the Edmunds price promise feature, and have an offer from a local CT dealer for $23120 plus tax and registration. Is that good? What amount should I be shooting for, and which state is better for me to buy in, NY or CT? Thanks!!
  • I'm probably going to try for a deal tomorrow on a 2017 EX-L w/ Nav & Sensing, so wanted to see what you think of a quote I received. I am in 30064 (Atlanta area).

MSRP is $31655
    Sales price before any fees or add-ons is $26594
    $996 in accessories+$599 admin fee+taxes = $30334 OTD

I didn't request any of the accessories, so I'm going to ask for those to be removed. The accessories are mudguards, wheel locks, trunk tray, door film, window tint = $996.

Is there any scenario where accessories are 'locked in' and can't be removed? If they insist they can't change the accessories are they telling the truth? They have 3 cars with the trim/color I want and assume they won't all have the same accessories.

I want to take advantage of the 0.9% financing offer out there, do you know what documents finance will typically need (pay stubs, W2, etc) to approve?

Thanks!
  • friarfunkfriarfunk Posts: 19
    edited December 2016
    When I was shopping earlier this month, no dealer was willing to remove those kinds of accessories. However, a lot of places were willing to cut their charges for them in half or so. I ended up choosing a dealer that didn't add dealer options anyway, but you can always ask for a price cut.

I also just got the 0.9% financing. All we had to do was fill out a basic credit application, which took about 10 minutes. If your credit score isn't a slam dunk, they might ask for that stuff, but I don't think it's usually required.
  • cls061cls061 Posts: 11
    As far as the 0.9% financing, the dealer I was working with told me they will approve 0.9% with a credit score of 670 or higher. So take that for what it's worth.
  • friarfunk said:

When I was shopping earlier this month, no dealer was willing to remove those kinds of accessories. However, a lot of places were willing to cut their charges for them in half or so. I ended up choosing a dealer that didn't add dealer options anyway, but you can always ask for a price cut.

I also just got the 0.9% financing. All we had to do was fill out a basic credit application, which took about 10 minutes. If your credit score isn't a slam dunk, they might ask for that stuff, but I don't think it's usually required.

Thanks for the reply. Some dealers push those accessories, some don't it looks like. The financing sounds pretty straight forward. Didn't know what to expect, when I got a mortgage last year they asked for everything but the kitchen sink!
    edited December 2016
    brett1234 said:

Hi, happy for any help you guys can provide! Looking to buy a 2017 Accord Sport special edition with manual transmission. I live in CT, around 06824 area code. Haven't seen too many postings yet on this forum from CT buyers. I can also get to NY to purchase, not sure of which state is better tax and fee-wise. E-mailed a few local companies using the Edmunds price promise feature, and have an offer from a local CT dealer for $23120 plus tax and registration. Is that good? What amount should I be shooting for, and which state is better for me to buy in, NY or CT? Thanks!!

Hi @brett1234,

My guess is that NY prices are a little better but it may just boil down to finding the right dealer.

The True Market Value average price paid for a Hartford zip is $23,932, which is a tad less than 9% off the MSRP of $26,250.

I would aim for 15% off MSRP for the selling price - your current quote is about 12% off MSRP.

You'll probably hear "the manual is rare and in demand, so we can't go any lower".

And when you go to trade it in, you'll hear "we can't sell manuals, everyone wants automatics". ;)

Best bet is to shop that $23k quote around and see if $22,300 is doable.
    edited December 2016

I'm probably going to try for a deal tomorrow on a 2017 EX-L w/ Nav & Sensing, so wanted to see what you think of a quote I received. I am in 30064 (Atlanta area).

MSRP is $31655

I didn't request any of the accessories, so I'm going to ask for those to be removed. The accessories are mudguards, wheel locks, trunk tray, door film, window tint = $996.

Is there any scenario where accessories are 'locked in' and can't be removed? If they insist they can't change the accessories are they telling the truth? They have 3 cars with the trim/color I want and assume they won't all have the same accessories.

I want to take advantage of the 0.9% financing offer out there, do you know what documents finance will typically need (pay stubs, W2, etc) to approve?

Thanks!

Hi Roger, welcome,

Your quote without the accessories is good, about 13% off your MSRP. The accessories are overpriced and look like a lot of extra dealer profit. The admin fee is overpriced by $545 too.

You don't care if they remove the accessories or not. Just tell them your number is $26.5 plus taxes and let them stew. If they don't budge, I'd relax and start over with some more quotes. It's just a car and there will be some kind of deals on them next month.

If they insist that the tint is most of the accessories cost, tell them that you have a guy at a tint shop that will put a better tint on for less money, but it's costing you more because they'll have to remove the dealer tint they stuck on. :)
  • stever said:

brett1234 said:

@Stever said

Best bet is to shop that $23k quote around and see if $22,300 is doable.

Thanks Stever- that sounds like a great plan. Thanks for the advice- I'll let you know how it goes!
    Good luck!
  • I sent out a group of emails last night to some MD dealerships and got a dealer to agree to $24,500 OTD on a 2017 Accord Sport SE (including remote engine start which is not standard on the vehicle). I'm waiting to hear back from another dealer who is trying to see if they can beat that price.
  • pistonhondakopistonhondako Posts: 6
    edited December 2016
    Longtime lurker here. Thanks to everyone for posting. I'll now post my unsuccessful attempt. I'm in Northern California, looking for a 2017 Honda Accord EX CVT. I don't need to buy one, but if the deal was priced right, then I would pull the trigger and buy it.

Visited one dealer today armed with the research and prices that everyone has posted. I wanted it to be quick - either I buy it or not. I knew things would go badly when I told the salesperson, "I don't want to waste your time" and they replied with a smile, "But you already are".

Their first offer was at MSRP + unnecessary warranties + taxes/doc/registration + accessories, for a grand total of $34K. I told them that it was way more than I was expecting. They kept on pressing me for a number. I gave them a number based on rick2017accord's posting (which I now see was later corrected as an LX!!!). The manager came over and we had an unpleasant conversation. He said they are trying to run a business and can't go under invoice, which he showed me.

The Edmunds TMV for my area is $24335, which is under the invoice he showed me.

The manager acted offended by my initial price, and I acted equally offended by their initial price. In the end we parted ways. So much for negotiation! Still undecided on whether to look at other makes/models, or wait until the 2018 Accord.

Edit: One interesting anecdote: The manager, who sat a distance away, said he heard our initial conversation with the salesperson. Given the background noise, it would be hard to do. Maybe there was a microphone in the office that he listens in on? (Or maybe I misheard him and he didn't say that)
    edited December 2016
    I've heard stories where the phones at the salesperson's desks are often left on in some sort of speaker mode. Hard to say.

The local Buick dealer new car sales manager seemed a bit offended when I countered his offer by $2,500 a while back. Said he wasn't getting into his holdback. I didn't even mention holdback or act like an experienced buyer. Maybe both our guys had some spoiled leftover pizza for breakfast!

Sometimes dummy invoices get pulled out too.

One response to the invoice argument is that it doesn't mean anything any more. And it's true, with all the bonuses and spiffs, it really doesn't mean much.

Surprising tips for car shopping in Internet age (USA Today)
  • strombolistevestrombolisteve Posts: 5
    edited December 2016
    @stever Couple of offers came through via email - winner so far seems to be an EX at Boch Honda in Norwood offer of $22,630 (inc destination) - MA sales tax is 6.25%, there's a $399 dealer doc fee ("this applies to everyone"), $35 for MA inspection and $100 for plate transfer - I estimate the OTD price based on that to be $24,578.

Couple of other offers came through - most of them are in the 23.5k -> 24.5k range (before TTL)

Going to go for a test drive this morning (I think I'm probably priced out of the EXL - which was bit of a long shot anyway)..

Think there's any shot of shaving another 1k off of that Boch price? or am I pipe dreaming?
  • @stever I think I've got a bidding war going on here in MD. I got three dealers to okay $24,500 out the door on the Sport SE (with remote start). One has come back offering all season mats to sweeten the pot. I'm waiting to hear from dealer three about dropping the price $250 and adding backup sensors. I'll let you know how this plays out.
    edited December 2016

@stever Couple of offers came through via email - winner so far seems to be an EX at Boch Honda in Norwood offer of $22,630 (inc destination) - MA sales tax is 6.25%, there's a $399 dealer doc fee ("this applies to everyone"), $35 for MA inspection and $100 for plate transfer - I estimate the OTD price based on that to be $24,578.

Couple of other offers came through - most of them are in the 23.5k -> 24.5k range (before TTL)

Going to go for a test drive this morning (I think I'm probably priced out of the EXL - which was bit of a long shot anyway)..

Think there's any shot of shaving another 1k off of that Boch price? or am I pipe dreaming?

I love all the excuses for the doc fees. "We can't take it off or change the doc fee or it's discrimination" is a favorite. The dealers have no trouble "discriminating" by offering the same car to different people for way different prices!

You really don't care what the fee is - just reduce your OTD price accordingly.

A $1,000 reduction is a good chunk, but this is the end of the year, so it's worth a shot. Strange things happen when you find a dealer who needs another sale to earn some more bonus money.
    r_dews said:

@stever I think I've got a bidding war going on here in MD. I got three dealers to okay $24,500 out the door on the Sport SE (with remote start). One has come back offering all season mats to sweeten the pot. I'm waiting to hear from dealer three about dropping the price $250 and adding backup sensors. I'll let you know how this plays out.

Cool, you're in the fun stage now. Good luck!
  • stever said:

I love all the excuses for the doc fees. "We can't take it off or change the doc fee or it's discrimination" is a favorite. The dealers have no trouble "discriminating" by offering the same car to different people for way different prices!

You really don't care what the fee is - just reduce your OTD price accordingly.

A $1,000 reduction is a good chunk, but this is the end of the year, so it's worth a shot. Strange things happen when you find a dealer who needs another sale to earn some more bonus money.

Well, a bit disappointed - actually walked out of a dealer - pretty big gap in expectations - however all of it attributed to the value of my trade: 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S w/ 71k miles that I'd put in Fair/Good condition. Apparently some dealers are using the KBB "cash" value as opposed to the "trade" value -- is anyone else familiar with this or have had similar dealings? We were off by close to 3,000 on the trade alone...
    edited December 2016
    Dealers don't make much money on new cars but they make a lot of money selling used cars.

Is there a CarMax near you? You can get a quote from them and then invite your dealer to match it. Or just sell it to CarMax unless there's a tax benefit for trading it in. Some used car lots may make you a decent offer on the Altima too.

Good for you for walking.
  • ilearnilearn Posts: 18
    Received a quote for EXL w NAVI/Sensing, dealer price $28,999.30, $699 doc fees, GA tax $2,203.25, non-tax fee $90.00 (not sure what this is). So OTD price is $31,991.55. I have a trade-in with 120k miles. Not sure how to bring this into play with the dealer.
  • ilearn said:

Received a quote for EXL w NAVI/Sensing, dealer price $28,999.30, $699 doc fees, GA tax $2,203.25, non-tax fee $90.00 (not sure what this is). So OTD price is $31,991.55. I have a trade-in with 120k miles. Not sure how to bring this into play with the dealer.

ilearn is that the V6 or 4 cylinder? I'm looking at the 4 banger in that trim. I'm in the Atlanta area, are you in Georgia? See my above post, if you are looking at the 4 cylinder I think you should be able to get an out the door price under $30k. Not sure about V6.
    Roger, yes its a V6. Also looking at 4-cylinder. Have to do some more legwork. Want to close the deal by tomorrow if possible.

I'm probably going to try for a deal tomorrow on a 2017 EX-L w/ Nav & Sensing, so wanted to see what you think of a quote I received. I am in 30064 (Atlanta area).

MSRP is $31655

Thanks!

Roger,
    Which dealer sent you this quote?