Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Whoever decided to make the "Mark LT" a Lincoln should be shot. It should have been a Mercury to go with the rest of the rebadged Fords over there. That, and Mercury actually has some truck heritage to play on.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I gotta disagree with you on this one. The Mark LT, would be better if it would of gotten some sophisticated gadgets. I'd also put the FX-4 package on it. Perhaps a 400+ hurricane type engine will also help matters out.

Rocky

P.S. When did Mercury make a pick-up ? :confuse:

It looks like I need another history lesson from ol' bumpy. :D
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Mercury sold trucks in Canada up to 1968, since the Mercury and Ford dealerships didn't overlap much (a lot of places up there had either one or the other, but not both).

http://www.mercurypickup.com/
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303
    i think you are missing something here. many years ago, the unions and the big3 only had to worry about each other. think 'pattern negotiations'. those higher wages and benfits allowed workers to live better and LONGER than anyone expected. now, the ignored future costs are being felt. transplant manufacturers do not have that drag on their business.
    personally, i am willing to give up some perceived status by buying a domestic vehicle. color me a bit nationalistic.
    of course, that leads to 'what is domestic'? :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    It's really amazing to me but here in the Bay Area in California, I've seen more Mark LTs on the road than Fusion+Milan+Z put together. Many of the LTs have the name of a business on the side.
    bumpy, I just knew you'd have a answer for me. Dude, I never knew Mercury ever made a truck and I'm happy to learn that. Even if it was only available in Canada. ;)

Rocky
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    How many do they sell? Maybe it's a local thing...I've seen all of one current model, and a couple old ones. Someone in my building actually had one, but I only saw it around for a few weeks. I don't know what that was about.

As was mentioned, I guess they'd be suitable for a business vehicle. Probably would qualify for that ridiculous writeoff too.
    explorerx4,

Well at least their are a few of us that think a little a like (being nationalistic) :)

I suppose others will rip us for thinking this way. :(

Rocky
    Now that's interesting.....

Rocky
    I brought up this article a week or 2 ago. Dont you read my posts? :>)

I do agree with scooter that you are being pretty silly to think you can rate the X #5 of 22 just by sitting on your [non-permissible content removed] and reading a few reviews. THe 22 vehicles in Motor Trend were actually DRIVEN and hard by the folks who rated them. ANd the Edge and X came out at the bottom of the pack under the Hyundai and Suzuki. And I love it when folks accuse MT of 'import bias' when they choose an import, but when they choose a domestic, I guess they're unbiased only then? Or what?

And there are other pretty unfavorable reviews of these vehicles, along with a couple of favorable ones. Bottom line is Ford needed a home run with these things, they took their usual forever to get them out (oh wait, they're not out yet? - forever and a month or 2 I guess it'll be) and they pretty well suck. vs the competition. They look like nice vehicles on their own. Handsome enuf (except for the X grille IMO) but they dont measure up. Buyers will be folks who dont care if they're getting one of the better products. They'll have other reasons for buying one of these. Stopping on a dime certainly wont be on the list.
  • I cannot say I disagree much with much of anything they did in their comparison. And I too don't agree with everything MT asserts.

The MKX may be a new direction for Lincoln, but the article was right in showing that it is not a top contender in the field of trucks/CUVs/SUVs. It is better than its twin, the Edge...but that is damning with faint praise. There is no way I would pay that money for what is a Ford Edge with a quasi-Lincoln grill tacked on and a much-needed interior upgrade. The MKS is so close to the Edge in all ways that it could simply have been sold as an Edge Limited, sort of like the different grill and interior upgrades the Explorer Limited model used to get, as compared to the Explorer XLT.

Thankfully, it ought to sell pretty well anyway, if they ever get it to market. But drive the Mercedes, Rocky, and then see what you think. Maybe you will still think they are wrong...but I doubt it. The car rags actually love it when American iron is well executed. It is just that so often it is not. That is changing though, again thankfully.
    I brought up this article a week or 2 ago. Dont you read my posts? :>)

I try too. :P

I do agree with scooter that you are being pretty silly to think you can rate the X #5 of 22 just by sitting on your [non-permissible content removed] and reading a few reviews. THe 22 vehicles in Motor Trend were actually DRIVEN and hard by the folks who rated them. ANd the Edge and X came out at the bottom of the pack under the Hyundai and Suzuki. And I love it when folks accuse MT of 'import bias' when they choose an import, but when they choose a domestic, I guess they're unbiased only then? Or what?

How often do they pick a domestic ? Once every 5 years. A yr. lter they will rip it and call it old and tired. They did this exact thing with the Envoy a yr. later saying it was to plasticky even though the year before they gave it the calipers. The Japanese or Europeans could make a Yugo, and Motor Trend would spin it as a great small economy car that's better than a Cobalt. One of the GM SUV's should of won the review, but the small volume, trophy wife drivin' Mercedes GL 450 was the winner. It's a pile of B.S. :mad:

And there are other pretty unfavorable reviews of these vehicles, along with a couple of favorable ones. Bottom line is Ford needed a home run with these things, they took their usual forever to get them out (oh wait, they're not out yet? - forever and a month or 2 I guess it'll be) and they pretty well suck. vs the competition.

How can you say that ? The MKX, will be the leader of the pack in gadgetology for the CUV class. The Buick Enclave, might come close if they leave alot of the sophisticated pieces like the flip down dual LCD screens, keep the little wooden flip down tables, and the rear center console. If they don't the MKX will be in a league of it's own in the Luxury CUV class, and will be the benchmark.

They look like nice vehicles on their own. Handsome enuf (except for the X grille IMO) but they dont measure up. Buyers will be folks who dont care if they're getting one of the better products. They'll have other reasons for buying one of these. Stopping on a dime certainly wont be on the list.

I think for a family that wants some modern luxury the MKX, is the way to go. It's the perfect vehicle for the soccer mom, and at some point I'd like to see a hybrid offered. It's not cheap by any means but it's not over-priced either. What will make it a winner is if and when Lincoln, offers some attractive leases. Red Carpet leases is something Ford, is good at. GM, seems like they only like to lease bottom basement models, and who wants them ? :mad:

Rocky
    I cannot say I disagree much with much of anything they did in their comparison. And I too don't agree with everything MT asserts.

Well I'm glad you at least admit you don't believe everything a bought and paid for car mag editor says. Some folks believe everything CR says also. :surprise: I read the magazine to find out some rumors on car news and read the articles like a comic strip "funny's" because that is the way I approach each article. They are bunch of gearheads, so knowing that I can't take them serious.

The MKX may be a new direction for Lincoln, but the article was right in showing that it is not a top contender in the field of trucks/CUVs/SUVs. It is better than its twin, the Edge...but that is damning with faint praise. There is no way I would pay that money for what is a Ford Edge with a quasi-Lincoln grill tacked on and a much-needed interior upgrade

Well the MKX is a CUV, so perhaps then MT, should break it down further. BTW-The Escalade, is the most significant SUV vehicle for 2007. :shades:

The MKS is so close to the Edge in all ways that it could simply have been sold as an Edge Limited, sort of like the different grill and interior upgrades the Explorer Limited model used to get, as compared to the Explorer XLT.

I suppose you mean the MKX ?

Thankfully, it ought to sell pretty well anyway, if they ever get it to market.

It will be worth looking at even though I'm not much into CUV's. The 08' Enclave OTOH I might like depending how hard the GM, bean counters hit it. I guess I'm a big fan of the Velite styling and was impressed with the concepts interior.

But drive the Mercedes, Rocky, and then see what you think.

I have no doubt I'd like it. However is it any better than a Escalade ? Ummmm, No !.... Will it sell anywhere close to the Escalade ? Nope, again. The Slade is the Benchmark, and giving calipers to a second best is poethetic. If the Escalade would of wore a Star on it's grill instead of a wreath and crest, it would of won. ;) I guess because Mercedes, is finally offering a large SUV, it desrves to get a crown. If the Slade would of been a BMW, Motor Trend would of went out of its way to trash the GL 450. :blush: You guys know this already though.

Maybe you will still think they are wrong...but I doubt it.

LOL, I don't have to wear a popular brand on my butt to feel secure about myself. That's the status feeling you get when buying one of these. The Trophy wives are willing to pay the extra money to get that star on the grill.

I have a question....Wasn't the Range Rover all new for this year ? :confuse: If so where was it ? Now that is a nice SUV. :shades: Why doesn't it win the calipers more often ?

The car rags actually love it when American iron is well executed.

I need some hip boots, because it's getting seriously deep in here. :D

It is just that so often it is not. That is changing though, again thankfully.

You can take any one of GM's SUV's and they are significantly changed. They have about 50% of the market and some expect that to climb into the 60 percentile, with these new offerings. Again, I agree they haven't always been great in the past, but as soon as they do execute a new impressive vehicle like the GMT-900's they get little credit and pick a no name like the GL 450, that won't sell much outside of the Trophy Wife haven in Fintails, state. ;)

Rocky
  • Well, I guess I was told.

BTW, I like what I see with the Enclave. Unlike the MKX whatever CUV thing, the Enclave gets its own body (so you don't see the shared architecture on the outside, as with all Ford products) with some real panache added. And it still appears to be a Buick.
    To be fair though gregg, the Benz that won, the gl450, costs $66000 as tested. The X was $46000.
    rocky me friend,

First, u saw the :>) right?

Now please, calm down and get specific. First, the Escalade was in the test and scored rather well but did not win. Ditto the Suburban, Tahoe and Denali. Had the Benz not been there, the FJ Cruiser probably would have won.

Motor Trend picks plenty of domestics as COY. I'm driving one, the Lincoln LS. COY in 2000. I dont believe every word MT says or anyone says for that matter. But u gotta give some credit to them for running 22 vehicles thru the same test, having a dozen or so testers vote and then picking the winner. Didn't even need the Supreme Court to certify. Get over your rants about who you think should've won. To be honest, it's a bit childish and below you.
    Next, u say the MKX is the king of gadgetology in this field. Again, please get specific, rock. Exactly what gadgets does the X have that others dont? Gimme the list and be prepared for me to pick it apart because Lincoln has never been the king of this and probably never will be. A glaring omission, to me, in all 3 Lincolns I've had is the lack of a dash light to tell me the cruise control is turned on. No, not that it is set, just that the switch is turned on. A lowly Mazda 3 that I recently drove had a light for that. But Ford in it's wisdom, saves the 8 cents it would cost. How about auto windows? You're lucky to get driver-only auto down in a Lincoln. Many others have auto up-down on all windows from the driver seat. Even my 60K+ sticker Navigator lacks a simple cargo cover that my 86 Cherokee had. It's truly pathetic some of the things Ford leaves off to save $5.00 Like full power seats on a $50000 Aviator. Heck, they even stopped painting the rear seat frames of the Aviator and Navigator a couple years ago to save the cost of the paint. Then they had to recall them all because the seat frames were rusting and becoming unsafe. DUH DUH DUH.
    I'm not sure the X is the ideal vehicle for a soccer Mom. Only seats 5, many others carry 7 or 8, including the Highlander which already offers your hoped-for hybrid. Anf the Highlander will stop 20 feet sooner than the Lincoln, another important gadget for soccer moms - good brakes.
    You gotta get some of the emotion out of it rocky. MT aint perfect, but they seem reasonably honest to me. If u wanna pick on a car rag, pick on the one that's owned by the French (C&D? or R&T? I forget which) Now there's a target I'd support. Ze stinking French.
  • Yes, and the Benz is in a whole different class. The X is $20,000 cheaper and should be. It's not rear wheel drive, or V8 and does not have the room, the features and creature comforts of the Benz. It is more comparable to the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Toyota Highlander and of course the Ford Edge (V6, front drive, size, etc.).

I'd buy the Denali if I was in that market, but that's because I'm not sure the extra refinement of the Benz (beyond the Denali) would be worth the extra tariff to me. However, MT follows a point system, and according to their measures, the Benz is the best. It is possible to accept that and still choose something else among the top tier of those 22. I'm sorry the Lincoln didn't score higher. With running improvements, it could do better in years to come.
  • From Jerry Flint (Backseat Driver):
    "Detroit, playing catchup, has a few new crossovers and more coming: GM is betting on a trio of large crossovers, the Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook and GMC Arcadia. Chrysler recently rolled out the smaller, more affordable, Jeep Compass, while a related model, the Jeep Patriot, will arrive early next year. Ford’s new Edge and companion Lincoln MKX are due next month.

"Car and Driver magazine recently tested the new Ford Edge crossover, and its editor, Csaba Csera, (he really knows his cars) wrote this: “But why does it weigh 600 more pounds than a Toyota Highlander and even more than Ford’s bigger and roomier Freestyle? That excess poundage compromises the fuel efficiency and performance we expected from the Duratec 3.5 liter V-6 and six-speed automatic. And that’s what crossovers are all about.”

"I am sure the Edge will sell reasonably well, but those remarks from an expert are worrisome.

"It is also worrisome that foreign nameplates have so much headway in luxury and near-luxury crossovers, such as the BMW X3 and X5, Acura RDX and MDX, Lexus RX 350, Infinity FX and Porsche Cayenne. Many of these models combine utility with excellent performance and handling."

Some comments on Lincoln:
    "Lincoln is also in bad shape. Lincoln models, such as the Continental, the Town Car and the LS used to be distinct cars. Now they are making Lincolns out of fluffed-up Fords. Examples: the MKZ (ex-Zephyr) is a dolled-up Ford Fusion; the coming MKX is a fancier Ford Edge crossover SUV. They seem nicely done, yes, but they are still Fords with some nicer features. If Lincoln gets the best fancied-up Fords, what does that leave for Mercury?"

That's the rub. For every person who likes the MKX interior, there are many more who won't see the exterior (the part all of us tend to see all the time) as distinctive enough for the extra coinage.

It should have been either the Aviator concept, or as it is, a Mercury. There is far less difference between an MKX and an Edge than even between the MKZ and the Fusion (which are less expensive vehicles)...and many of us think those two are too close to each other in execution.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Lincoln no longer has any cars which are truly Lincoln car quality, other than the Town Car which is getting pretty old. Best they simply get rid of Lincoln and make the car line Mercury. The Mercury cars look better than the Ford line, so just go with one line; that being the Mercury by Ford, and drop the Fords. Ford Trucks and Mercury Cars. As for crossover car, and suvs, parts is parts, everyone and their brother seems to be making these things which mostly look the same. Just get an Explorer or something. Lincoln use to be a high quality car manufacturer - not a truck / suv builder. It is over. The party is over since they are no longer making cars purpose built. I would consider a Cadillac as the real deal, and the new Lincoln FWD cars as posers. That said, the Milan looks pretty good, and is priced right.
    -Loren
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    victory for the Japanese, and thus they have gotten revenge for the atom bomb

What the Hell does
    revenge
    have to do with the A bomb?

The two A bombs were revenge for Pearl Harbor and all the human costs of the S. Pacific in WWII. Dropping those bombs saved over 100,000 GI's from having to invade Japan.

Revenge implies Japan didn't deserve the bombs, but they did! They got what they deserved. :mad:
    Geez, I missed that in rockys post.

Get a grip, rocky.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Ritalin.
    Well, I guess I was told.

Well I wasn't trying to sound mean about it. I can't stomach the fact the GL won.

BTW, I like what I see with the Enclave. Unlike the MKX whatever CUV thing, the Enclave gets its own body (so you don't see the shared architecture on the outside, as with all Ford products) with some real panache added. And it still appears to be a Buick.

The Enclave however is a rebadged Acadia, Outlook, etc with a Buick body style and unique interior. I will agree GM, went a step further with the Enclave, than Ford did with the Lincoln MKX. However the Enclave won't be available until next year.

Rocky
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    The revenge will be a repeat of WWII when iran (or N/C) nuke NYC and Washington.

All of our politicians will be busy doing the Chaimberain "Talk to them" approach. If you don't know the name, pls GOOGLE it.

At least we will be driving excellent Mexican and Chinese made vehicles by that time!
    "The revenge will be a repeat of WWII when iran (or N/C) nuke NYC and Washington."

North Carolina is at again? I thought we beat them in 1865.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    The reader has to read the entire story, these links and in other venues today, to see that some of the domestics would have made the safety cut but for the requirement they have ESC, but most readers will just see the headlines.

Foreign Cars Sweep Annual Survey
    Imported Models Deemed Safest Vehicles

It certainly sends a harsh message to the buying public that is yet another hurdle for Ford, GM, and Chrysler to overcome.
    Yep.

Guess which Ford product would have made the list - if it had not been CANCELLED?
    rocky me friend,

First, u saw the :>) right?

Yeah, I know it sometimes appears I get upset but actually I rarely do.

Now please, calm down and get specific. First, the Escalade was in the test and scored rather well but did not win. Ditto the Suburban, Tahoe and Denali. Had the Benz not been there, the FJ Cruiser probably would have won.

I could of handled the FJ Cruiser winning even though it's nothing more than a over-grown Rav4. Still I can see a arguement from it.

Motor Trend picks plenty of domestics as COY. I'm driving one, the Lincoln LS. COY in 2000. I dont believe every word MT says or anyone says for that matter. But u gotta give some credit to them for running 22 vehicles thru the same test, having a dozen or so testers vote and then picking the winner.

I'm a subscriber to their magazine and have been off and on for many years. It sits in my library aka restroom :blush: I also pick up other car mags now and then to read also. My point is the new GM SUV's are so good they will gain even more marketshare. I'm already seeing them all over the place down here in Tex-[non-permissible content removed] ;)

Didn't even need the Supreme Court to certify. Get over your rants about who you think should've won. To be honest, it's a bit childish and below you.

I guess some of us see it much different than the testers heyjewel. I think my arguement or as you call a rant is justified is all.

Next, u say the MKX is the king of gadgetology in this field. Again, please get specific, rock. Exactly what gadgets does the X have that others dont?

Okay, I will....

None have a Vista Roof, but the MKX does. :P

I'm don't recall any others having a power liftgate that opens and closes with a touch of a button. :P

I also don't recall any others having adaptive headlamps that swivel around corners. :P

Only a couple of the SUV's have the reverse sensing equipment also. :P

This isn't really a feature but it does have one of the most modern ergonomic interiors featuring real wood and satin nickel, with extensive sound deadening materials or as Lincoln calls it the "Ultra-Quiet Interior" ;)

It also has "Power Seats with memory" with a very adjustable 10-way pwr drivers seat.

Here's a feature that is found only on a couple of the 22 vehicles that I consider as a important feature and that is "Climate-Controlled Seats" Who doesn't want AC on their tush on a hot day to keep em' cool ?

How bout the class exclusive
    "Cargo Area/EasyFold Release" ? The all-new Lincoln MKX has a standard 31.8 cu. ft. of cargo area, allowing you to haul luggage or groceries. But for items that are slightly larger, the second-row seats fold, creating 69 cu. ft. of space. And to make things a little easier, the Lincoln MKX offers a class-exclusive** available Easy Fold™ release. Toggle it one way and part of the second-row seat folds effortlessly. Flip it the other way and the other side releases, folding in one fluid motion, providing you with its maximum cargo space. This is impressive and is why the Minivan in the modern world is worthless.

Now for the goodies the awesome Entertainment Systems:
    Rear-Seat DVD Player

Bring the magic of your favorite movies to your backseat with the available Rear-Seat DVD Entertainment System. Play movies and video games on the eight-inch flip-down screen. Includes two pairs of wireless headphones. All but the most luxurious SUV's have a quality system like this. ;)

MP3 Integration
    Connect your MP3 player directly to your vehicle’s sound system using the standard audio input jack located inside the center console and hear your digital music collection in crystal-clear sound. Now that's cool ;)

THX® II Certified Audio System
    Certified by people who know sound the best, the available THX® II Certified Audio System utilizes 600 watts of power and 14 strategically placed speakers to completely immerse you in sound. The MKX has flat-out has the most powerful and best audio equipment in this test, if not on the market. :D

SIRIUS Satellite Radio

Well you already know about this feature. Along with XM it's becoming a standard for the auto-industry

Navigation System

Find your way.... Just input your final destination and let the available DVD-based Navigation System** get you back on the right track. Combining DVD mapping with Global Positioning System (GPS) technology, the Navigation System provides turn-by-turn voice guidance in English, French or Spanish, gives you the shortest route, allows you to save destinations and will even reroute you if you miss a turn.
    Sure most of the premium brands have a navigation system, but this one of the easiest ones to use and read from reviews I've read on it.

Safety Canopy System

Air Support
    In the unfortunate event of a rollover or side-impact accident, protection comes in the form of the Safety Canopy™ system. The system includes rollover detection, seat-mounted side-impact airbags and side-curtain airbags. The seat mounted side-impact airbags deploy from the outboard seatback to ensure extra protection to its occupants no matter how the seat is positioned. Side-curtain airbags deploy between the passenger and window, adding even more protection in side impacts. The air curtains also stay inflated for an extended time in the event of a rollover.There are a total of six standard airbags, placed in the vehicle to help protect the driver and front passenger.

Of course Anti-Lock brakes
    All of the SUV's have these

Safe and Secure
    SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System

The Securilock® system is designed to help prevent the engine from being started unless a coded key, programmed to your vehicle, is used. Plus, Securilock’s standard perimeter alarm system automatically arms after the key is removed from the ignition and sounds an alarm if an unauthorized attempt is made to enter the vehicle.

Remote Keyless Entry System
    Your vehicle key fob allows you to unlock the doors and liftgate from up to 33 feet away, as well as set off a panic alarm that flashes the parking lamps and sounds the horn. All of the vehicles have this type of a system.

Keyless Entry Keypad
    The user-coded Keyless Entry Keypad on the driver’s door lets you unlock the doors and the liftgate, and activate/deactivate the autolock system. This is a Ford exclusive system also. It's been around for years and nobody to the best of my knowledge has copied it ? Perfect if you locked your keys in your car. ;)

Powertrain

Power On Demand
    Utilizing an innovative aluminum 3.5L Duratec V-6 engine, the Lincoln MKX is both potent and efficient. Unlike its competition, the Lincoln MKX delivers 265 horsepower and 250 lb. ft. of torque on just regular 87 octane gasoline. And with the help of its smooth-shifting, class-exclusive six-speed automatic transmission, it employs more power using less fuel.** The
    Powertrain

Power On Demand
    Utilizing an innovative aluminum 3.5L Duratec V-6 engine, the Lincoln MKX is both potent and efficient. Unlike its competition, the Lincoln MKX delivers 265 horsepower and 250 lb. ft. of torque on just regular 87 octane gasoline. And with the help of its smooth-shifting, class-exclusive six-speed automatic transmission, it employs more power using less fuel.** The result is a smooth, powerful ride with fewer stops at the pump.
    **EPA-certified mpg: FWD 18 city/25 highway; AWD 17 city/24 highway. A great powertrain with good fuel efficiency, just wait until the hybrid makes its way. ;)

All-Wheel Drive

Maintain Your Grip
    The Lincoln MKX helps you keep a handle on things all year long. The available Intelligent All-Wheel Drive System senses wheel slippage and engages Traction Control to help distribute torque appropriately to the wheels with the most grip, allowing them to seize the road and increase traction.
    You can thank Volvo, for a great AWD system ;)

Four-Wheel Independent Suspension
    A Smooth Exciting Ride
    Designed for performance and comfort, the luxury-tuned four-wheel independent suspension not only gives the Lincoln MKX its agility by enhancing handling, but allows the Lincoln MKX to easily handle bumps, reducing unwanted vibration for a smooth ride. You get that Lincoln, large car like ride. ;)

AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control (RSC®)

An Elegant Balancing Act
    AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control (RSC®) is an electronic stability enhancement system. An industry-exclusive feature, AdvanceTrac with RSC® can measure what other systems ignore, or can only estimate. The system features a vehicle-roll motion sensor that directly measures the vehicle’s roll-rate at least 100 times every second to help determine when and how it will utilize AdvaceTrac’s Anti-Lock Braking system (ABS, tration control and yaw control to help keep all 4 wheels of the Lincoln MKX firmly planted. Remember that even advanced technology cannot over come the laws of physics. It’s always possible to lose control of a vehicle due to inappropriate driver input for the conditions. A real safety feature just now showing up on premium SUV's Surprisingly this system won't be a standard federal law until 2012. Lincoln, brought it to market earlier than the mandate. ;)

Fuel Economy
    Potent and efficient, the new Lincoln MKX offers Best-in-Class highway fuel economy.

EPA-certified mpg:

FWD 18 city/25 highway

AWD 17 city/24 highway

heyjewel, while only some of the features are found on other vehicles, the MKX, delivers you lots of gadgets and safety, great warranty, efficiency, at decent price IMHO.

I didn't know how detailed you anted to me so I went the extra mile for you :P :D

Rocky
    " I could of handled the FJ Cruiser winning even though it's nothing more than a over-grown Rav4. Still I can see a arguement from it."

Rocky, my friend, this is the wrongest statement you've ever posted. THe FJ is NOTHING like a RAV4. NOTHING. You're not listening, rock.

PS: It's could HAVE not could of.

PPS: Y'all: I put wrongest in here cause I figured it would be in rockys vocabulary:>)
    "I guess some of us see it much different than the testers heyjewel. I think my arguement or as you call a rant is justified is all"

You don't have an argument, rocky, you're just getting emotional and stating this should have won because I, Rocky, say so. Sorry, that aint good enough.
    Gimme the list and be prepared for me to pick it apart because Lincoln has never been the king of this and probably never will be. A glaring omission, to me, in all 3 Lincolns I've had is the lack of a dash light to tell me the cruise control is turned on. No, not that it is set, just that the switch is turned on. A lowly Mazda 3 that I recently drove had a light for that. But Ford in it's wisdom, saves the 8 cents it would cost. How about auto windows? You're lucky to get driver-only auto down in a Lincoln. Many others have auto up-down on all windows from the driver seat. Even my 60K+ sticker Navigator lacks a simple cargo cover that my 86 Cherokee had. It's truly pathetic some of the things Ford leaves off to save $5.00 Like full power seats on a $50000 Aviator. Heck, they even stopped painting the rear seat frames of the Aviator and Navigator a couple years ago to save the cost of the paint. Then they had to recall them all because the seat frames were rusting and becoming unsafe. DUH DUH DUH.
    I'm not sure the X is the ideal vehicle for a soccer Mom. Only seats 5, many others carry 7 or 8, including the Highlander which already offers your hoped-for hybrid. Anf the Highlander will stop 20 feet sooner than the Lincoln, another important gadget for soccer moms - good brakes

I'm not going to sit here and defend Lincolns past car building. I'm not disagreeing with you on that topic. My point is about the present products. They are damn good. I was never a huge Lincoln, fan until this year. I'm impressed and know I will be even further impressed with the MKS. ;)

You gotta get some of the emotion out of it rocky. MT aint perfect, but they seem reasonably honest to me. If u wanna pick on a car rag, pick on the one that's owned by the French (C&D? or R&T? I forget which) Now there's a target I'd support. Ze stinking French.

Actually one of my favorites is AUTOMOBILE, I think they are owned by a company in Michigan. They do lots of test by where I grew up the Gingerman speedway in South Haven, Mi. You will see weekend warriors in Porsches, fighting it out around the track. As far as MT reporting goes I take each article with a grain of salt because I can smell the dead fish.

Rocky
    The thing is the Benz, didn't have features the other had.

Name me some please ?

Rocky
    Well many in that country still think we did the wrong thing and is why we have protests by them at my work still to this day. I'm not disagreeing with you by any means, but using their perspective.

Rocky
    please read my post above.

Thank-you :)

Rocky
    :sick:

Unfortunately you might be correct. :cry:

Rocky
    A little biased title, eh ?

Rocky
    Okay, I will....

None have a Vista Roof, but the MKX does.

Umm, how about the FORD?

I'm don't recall any others having a power liftgate that opens and closes with a touch of a button.

Navigator

I also don't recall any others having adaptive headlamps that swivel around corners.

Lexus

Only a couple of the SUV's have the reverse sensing equipment also.

Yeah, most of the others have a CAMERA

This isn't really a feature but it does have one of the most modern ergonomic interiors featuring real wood and satin nickel, with extensive sound deadening materials or as Lincoln calls it the "Ultra-Quiet Interior"

Trying to become as quiet as the Lexus or Audi. ANd most reviewers describe the satin nickel as cheap looking. I don't quite share that assessment, but I can report that, unfortunately, in my mucho-expensive Navigator with the satin-nickel trim, the heavy used areas, like the trim around the driver's door handle, are now showing black.

It also has "Power Seats with memory" with a very adjustable 10-way pwr drivers seat.

C'mon, be serious. Hyundais have this.

How bout the class exclusive
    "Cargo Area/EasyFold Release" ? The all-new Lincoln MKX has ... " Next is rocky's editorial: This is impressive and is why the Minivan in the modern world is worthless.

Geez, rock, copying marketing speak now? Notice the 2 asterisks? Means the Ford has it too. And I hardly think 69 cuft makes the minivan useless. This is getting tiresome. I wish I had a job now so I WOULD have something better to do ...

Now for the goodies the awesome Entertainment Systems:
    Rear-Seat DVD Player

Whoop-dee-freakin-doo. Like NOBODY else has this.

MP3 Integration
    Connect your MP3 player directly to your vehicle’s sound system using the standard audio input jack located inside the center console and hear your digital music collection in crystal-clear sound. Now that's cool

Yeah, and a year or 2 late to the party.

THX® II Certified Audio System
    Certified by people who know sound the best, the available THX® II Certified Audio System utilizes 600 watts of power and 14 strategically placed speakers to completely immerse you in sound. The MKX has flat-out has the most powerful and best audio equipment in this test, if not on the market.

Even akirby said the one in the Lexus, just for starters, is better.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio

Well you already know about this feature. Along with XM it's becoming a standard for the auto-industry

Yeah and at lest one other offers XM and/or Sirius. And WHERE's ON-STAR???

Navigation System

Oh for gawd's sake ...

Safety Canopy System

Late to the party and not the best out there.

Power On Demand

Oooooh. You got me there. None of the others have THAT :>) But really, shouldn't ASKING be enough? Why does Lincoln insist we should DEMAND the power?

And with the help of its smooth-shifting, class-exclusive six-speed automatic transmission, Two-speed s far as the driver is concerned. it employs more power using less fuel.**

Uh, I don't think so. At least not vs the competition. They get better mpg for same HP. Reg gas is a plus for Lincoln though. But I'll bet a lot of people will put in premium anyway.

OK, nuff of this I hope.
    Okay it's a under-grown Landcruiser :P

Rocky
    I never said the MKX should of won. I said it should of been in the Top-5. The FJ, Escalade, RDX, for instance were all better vehicles than the GL.

Rocky
    That's slightly more accurate. ANd the Toyota Landcruiser is probably the most respected 4x4 in the world.
    Save your breath. Ignore the absurd rants devoid of fact and maybe his Ritalin will kick in.
    Okay, I will....

None have a Vista Roof, but the MKX does.

Umm, how about the FORD?

I'm don't recall any others having a power liftgate that opens and closes with a touch of a button.

Navigator

Outside of Ford and/or other Lincolns/Mercury's was my point !!!!

I also don't recall any others having adaptive headlamps that swivel around corners.

Lexus

I didn't see a Lexus in the test....Moot !

Only a couple of the SUV's have the reverse sensing equipment also.

Yeah, most of the others have a CAMERA

Well I wouldn't say MOST others. Most have nothing.

Trying to become as quiet as the Lexus or Audi. ANd most reviewers describe the satin nickel as cheap looking. I don't quite share that assessment, but I can report that, unfortunately, in my mucho-expensive Navigator with the satin-nickel trim, the heavy used areas, like the trim around the driver's door handle, are now showing black.

Well again you are talking about the past. Get with the present. I could understand if you were talking about a 2007, model having a flaw like that. Lincoln, wasn't Reaching Higher back in those days. ;)

Hyundai's do not have this. Ridiculous !!!

Geez, rock, copying marketing speak now? Notice the 2 asterisks? Means the Ford has it too. And I hardly think 69 cuft makes the minivan useless. This is getting tiresome. I wish I had a job now so I WOULD have something better to do ...

Well you wanted details of gadgets on the MKX. I gave em' to ya. I wished you had a job also. Perhaps Nancy, will finally help make that happen for you :)

Whoop-dee-freakin-doo. Like NOBODY else has this.

Okay agree....

Yeah and at lest one other offers XM and/or Sirius. And WHERE's ON-STAR???

True

Yeah, and a year or 2 late to the party.

Well their are a surprising amount of vehicles still without it.

Even akirby said the one in the Lexus, just for starters, is better.

Maybe, but I doubt it. This system is THX II certified which is a hard criteria to meet. At least you won't need miracle ear to hear the Lincoln system. The Levinson in Lexus, is like a wimpy 240 watt system. Whoopie !!!! I give the edge to Lincoln, with respect to the Levinson.

Oh for gawd's sake ...

Well at least you don't have to order a gawd awful i-drive system, to get a navi unit like one has to do with a BMW.

Late to the party and not the best out there.

Ummmm, compared to what ? :confuse:

Oooooh. You got me there. None of the others have THAT :>) But really, shouldn't ASKING be enough? Why does Lincoln insist we should DEMAND the power?

Well for it's size and weight it's pretty quick.

Uh, I don't think so. At least not vs the competition. They get better mpg for same HP. Reg gas is a plus for Lincoln though. But I'll bet a lot of people will put in premium anyway.

OK, nuff of this I hope.

Bottom line it might not be the best SUV, but it sure is the best CUV in this test. I also wonder what happen to the new BMW X3 ? :surprise:

Rocky
    That's slightly more accurate. ANd the Toyota Landcruiser is probably the most respected 4x4 in the world.

I suppose. It's among the best outside of a Range Rover, or Hummer. ;)

Rocky
    That was original. :confuse:

Rocky
    "Well you wanted details of gadgets on the MKX. I gave em' to ya. I wished you had a job also. Perhaps Nancy, will finally help make that happen for you "

Yeah, she'll hire me to remove the incorrect commas from your posts. That alone would be a full time job. Pointing out the factual errors is apparently pointless.

PS: He means Nancy Pelosi, folks. Rocky's a big democrat. ( DUH :>)
    "It also has "Power Seats with memory" with a very adjustable 10-way pwr drivers seat.

Hyundai's do not have this. Ridiculous !!! "

Wrong again, Socialist Pig :>) From the Hyundai website, Azera model:

Integrated Memory System stores the preferred positions for the power driver seat, power steering column, and power outside mirrors. With one touch, it remembers the settings for up to two drivers

PS: The Azera starts at $25,000
    Actually I'm not a big democrat, like you think.

I wasn't trying to personally attack you and curiously wondering why you are doing it to me ? :confuse:

Rocky
    I wasn't pointing out unclearly obviously that the Hyundai, doesn't have 10-way memory seats.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Rocky

P.S. So I'm a socialist pig now because I disagreed with you ?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    I can get a MB from 1981 with memory seats...heck, I had a 1989 that did have them. Nothing remarkable there.