Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Dodge Dakota - IV

Comments

• bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Tim with such a perceptive eye, you're lucky that she chose you. Enjoy your truck, I'm enjoying mine.

Bookitty
  • shoepegshoepeg Posts: 6
    I have enjoy you postings in the past and hope
    you don't go away now that the Quad is in the
    driveway. It blew my mind that you are a cat man
    and have a kitty named Boo. Even with your name. My kitty named Boo doesn't ride in the Quad, but she sure as hell rules the house, independent as a hog on ice. Good luck with you truck, the Quads are hoot to own and drive.
  • themacguythemacguy Posts: 417
    You've got a freakin cat, A CAT! I thought dogs were named "Boo." Somehow, "Me and you and a kitty named Boo" just don't cut it. Man you're gonna RUIN us if you don't come up with a dog for that back seat (and soon). I'll loan you a Sheltie.

A trucker with a cat - May He (in his infinite wisdom and compassion) have mercy on our poor, miserable souls.

But of course, your screen name finally makes sense to us. We thought you were a 'shine runner or a fast driver or a really nasty bomber pilot type or something really cool and trucker-like. Now we see the "Boo / kitty" thingy for what it really is. RU sure you're not a chick in drag tryin to in-fill-trait this here trucker site? :-O
    Jack, first you promise to loan me a dog, then you change your mind and offer a Sheltie. Also, Boo does not like the taste of Sheltie; Gives him heartburn. Sorry if I tarnished my image in your eyes Jack, but that is how things are. i'm pretty certain that I'm not a chick in drag, because chicks don't come this ugly (except for a few that my cousin Morty dated). As you can see, I'm not alone. Shoepeg has a kitty named Boo, and Spike50 had to adopt two kittens to placate his bride after he got his Quad. I'll let you know how Boo likes the Quad next week after his trip to the beach this weekend. Boy, I hope he likes it. Hate to have to trade for a neon.

Bookitty
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Posts: 215
    Another cat owner here, but he thinks he's a dog.
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    As a person that cannot stand to be around cats (actually I like cats, but allergies are hell), I wish I knew that you were in the market for a good dog, Bookity. Saturday in Skiatook, there was a cute thing giving away free lab/weinermann pups. I was real interested before my wife dragged me off. She doesn't think my lab and golden need a little brother. Oh well.
  • ozarkozark Posts: 124
    I always thought it was me and you and a dog named Blue but I guess that reflects my Southern heritage. :-)
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Posts: 765
    But Alaskan Malamutes (and Dodge Dakotas) make life worth living :-)

Latest Mal addition has to learn how not to be a lean, mean, pee and pooh machine before he gets near the truck - but hey, he's only 10 weeks old so I'll give him a chance.
  • rotondimrotondim Posts: 27
    Last night I shifted from Drive to Park and heard a Ratchet type sound when placed into Park. This morning I heard the same thing, although not as loud when shifted from Park to Drive. I thought I read a post several weeks ago regarding this. Has anyone heard this before? If so, can you provide any insight into what this may be? To me this is not normal and should not be heard. Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Steve, are you certain that it was the puppy that you wanted to adopt?

Bookitty
    Don't say that too loud. I get in enough trouble as is.
  • bigal31bigal31 Posts: 189
    Mine does the same thing form Park to drive.I can only notice it when I am at the drive-thru(Micky D's)because it bounces off the building right next to my truck.I don't seem to notice it at any other time.I didn't really think much of it,until now.Actually I was going to post the same question...I'm thinking its normal,but then again I'm not a Automatic transmission expert..
    Anymore feedback would be great.I hope we are not the only ones with this...I mean I hope its normal.
    Allen-
  • rotondimrotondim Posts: 27
    I spoke to the Dodge Service Manger this morning who claims this noise is normal and has been around in Chrysler Auto trans for several years now. I understand this is a newly designed transmission and would have thought they would have addressed this issue. I have around 1650 miles on the truck and don't recall hearing this in the past. I will keep my eye on it, so to speak, and post if I find out anything else. It's good to know I'm not the only one.
  • dok2dok2 Posts: 4
    My QC makes the same ratchiting noise but only occasionaly and not as much as previously!
  • tiltboytiltboy Posts: 63
    Well, I was negotiating with the dealer and we wanted to get an actual price. They plugged it in the computer so we could set it. They forgot to take it out and the order was processed. They said it would be about 2 more weeks. 4.7l 5sp quad 4x4 pretty loaded up. Now, the negotaitions start! Their initial offer was $950 over invoice! I have been letting them stew over that one a few days. Anybody have any recommendations on what to shoot for? Nice to have a truck on order with no deposit or obligation!
  • themacguythemacguy Posts: 417
    Mine has done it a couple of times too, and no I didn't shift it into park before it stopped moving! Anyway, bpeebles or a_j will probably tell us it's some sort of (electro) servo something or other just doing its job - albeit a bit noisily... I hope.
  • houtslawhoutslaw Posts: 23
    Thought you guys were ignoring me; I posted on this several weeks ago; no takers; but now I see I am not halucinating; I am at about 4K miles on my 2000 auto 4.7 CC cab; it came on suddenly; I don't notice it all the time; I do not think it is a normal or good sound.

Keep in mind I am the one who first heard the clicking that turned out to be a bad ground; it took several months on the forum but eventually we all got to the bottom of what turned out to be a very simple fix.

I'll keep checking back. John
    Kyle, $950.00 sounds pretty high, but I guess it depends on where one lives and the dealership. For instance, I paid $125.00 over invoice, and was able (learned through this forum) of the Farm Bureau (N/A in OK)$500.00 discount for joining and being a member for 30 days prior (some dealers have even worked a way around that). It sounds like you have used up your bargaining chip
    by placing the order, but the other advantage you
    might have is the fact that it is a 5 speed which
    most dealers do not care to inventory. Inventory is another factor, because when the dealer sits on
    a piece, the floor plan charges eat into the 3% hold back that they would enjoy on a customer ordered unit. Subsequently, you need to take a firm position and let the dealer know that you are well aware of the invoice pricing, the advertising curtailment and the dealer hold back. You will receive other help from the people who post on this topic. Stick to your guns and good luck.

Bookitty
  • stvdmanstvdman Posts: 62
    Well I am thinking of taking the "DAKOTA SPORT" stickers off my truck. It is (again) a Black QC. I saw a nice dark violet CC sport the other day with the stickers removed and it looked real clean. Anyone else seen a Dakota sport with them removed? If so what did you think.

Also, will Ram 1/2 ton truck rims fit on the Dakota? The reason I ask is I wanted to go with 17" rims and keep a dodge rim on the truck but I dont like the look of Dakota R/T rims I want the RAM R/T 17" rims. They are real nice but dont know if they will fit. Anyone?
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Posts: 337
    Tilt,
    For what it's worth, Boo makes a solid point. You shouldn't be paying anything over dealer invoice, particulary during a model year build-out.

Your dealer will be credited with holdback immediately, and that's a pretty heft number considering the price of these things!
    Bookitty and Towcrazy: When you guys say invoice, do you include the Ad Fees?

We've discussed this before, but I still don't know what to make of them. I know they appear on the factory invoice, but I don't know if they are actually assessed against the dealer by DC or if instead they are pure profit to the dealer.

Just curious since my deal's done.
    The Sport sticker will come off easily witha hair dryer and a little care. My work Dakota is a Sport model and they were removed immediately. From what I heard, the Ram wheel pattern is totally different than the Dakota, so they probably don't match, but you should be able to find something from the aftermarket that would be similar.
  • tpmiller1tpmiller1 Posts: 165
    Soon as I get the white sport, will remove the decals, (dark navy blue). Think it will look cleaner without. Also, don't want people to think my name is sport, or that I am a sport, or that I pay support.
    Good Tim, don't pay support, pay homage.

Bookitty
  • zonkzonk Posts: 208
    Kyle - Guess you couldn't wait till the 01s? Which dealer did you use? Are you absolutely locked in to getting this truck?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Posts: 552
    tiltboy. Personally I wouldn't pay a penny over invoice, especially considering the truck is essentially a year old model 2 months after you drive it out the door.

lmeyer1. When I negotiated my purchase price on my Quad ($160 UNDER invoice} the dealer never mentioned any advertising fee. If you consider the farm bureau rebate, I got mine Quad for $660 UNDER invoice less the $45 to join Farm Bureau. The only other fee I had to pay was a #39 documentation and Titling fee which they would not budge on.

I guess the deal you can work out depends on demand and the part of the country you live in. I guess I'm fortunate to be living in Ford and Chevy country. I've got a relative on my wifes side who is (was) a devout Chevy Owner. After having 2 3/4 ton Chevy diesel 4x4 pickups back to back fail to survive harsh farm duty him he tried a Ram 4x4 diesel and has really been satisfied with its endurance. Rick
    If you look at the actual factory invoice from Dodge, you'll see (at least in my region of the country) ad fees of a few hundred dollars. What I can't figure out is whether the dealer actually forks this over to DC or keeps it as profit.
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Posts: 337
    Guys,

Just a bit more on the "ad fees"... I can't speak definitively on DC, but I CAN say that Ford dealership financial statements include line items for advertising expense (monthly) and advertising PNVR (per new vehicle retailed).

I believe this is a function of BOTH dealer-incurred expenses for such things as newspaper, direct-mail, radio and TV (as applicable) plus co-op advertising (dealer and manufacuterer co-funding of primarily direct-mail).

It's a legitimate cost-of-sale item that's spread over the dealer's unit-sales for the month. Of course, the argument is that if you're buying, say a Neon versus an LHS, ad fees should correlate with the MSRP... Not sure how that works, but I'll be CERTAIN to find out and report back by the end of next week!
  • bigal31bigal31 Posts: 189
    I may be in the minority here but I think the "Sport Dakota" decals as well as the "Dodge 4x4" on the tail gate look great! For one it breaks up the body color and there is a lot of it. Plus I'm proud to display exactly what my rig is. DODGE DAKOTA SPORT QUAD CAB 4X4.In fact what do you all think about matching jackets? HE,HE..
    Allen-
  • 4daughters4daughters Posts: 24
    Yes I know it has been a short while since my last post but I wanted to wait until the final fix on a few things by the dealer. The center console was angled off center a little and the wipers, while on delay, were not consistent whether on slow delay or fast. The outcome: The console was centered slightly better, (any final adjustments I will do, {picky picky me},) and the wiper delay module was replaced and it seems to have remedied the problem. I was given a Neon to drive while the Quad was being worked on and for the most part I would have to say I received quality service.
    Thanks for listening. 2000 miles and still Quading.
This discussion has been closed.