Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XII

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Dont be a smart %^@^#. I am just saying what i use it for everyday and why i am glad i got a 4dr vs a 3dr. I dont haul people around each day. Where am i supposed to put my school bag, boots, and lunch box? In the bed so it can blow out on the expressway? The back seat is great for this. Thanks for putting me in a bad mood red. Cant say anything without someone making a smart comment.

KYLE- Did you install your bedrail caps? How do you like em?
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    he he...seriously though,...RYAN WE ALL LUV YA...
    you GREAT!!!

...red
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    no fair...others told ya first how to tell.

I would have liked to hear your answer though?

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    how do you tell a 3/4 ton from a 1/2 ton - without looking at the 2500 or 1500 decal on the side???
  • Options
    kablotskykablotsky Member Posts: 14
    swobig:
    if it's stopped, count the lug nuts.
    is that what you had in mind?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Obvious answer is the skinny tires....
  • Options
    The wheels are very different..even when spinning...used to be if it had Flares for 99...and USUALLY when you saw the 4x4 sticker...90% of the time it was a 2500 around here.

245's are available on 1500's though

- Tim
  • Options
    ..usually the 2500 is the one ahead of all the 1500's??

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    2500 towing horse trailer or camper
    1500 towing a jetski or boat (fun toys)

Ryan
  • Options
    which one would have the good looking chick in it? 2500 or 1500? ;)
  • Options
    we are getting a little silly here guys..

I've seen both good and bad in both...so what's the point here?.....probably more in 1500's due to the fact that there are more?...duh!

If only people could get past the sensation of a $10 sticker (Z71) and realize the cost is not much more(especially for what you get)...so many of you would be so much happier...(but we have had this debate over and over)

Ahh Ryan...you are right...anything below 5000 lbs and the 2500 just can't seem to tow it...(where do these posts come from ace??)

..I think your mind is wandering son?.....here is the start of the decline....how many phone calls per day DO you guys make anyway??

LOL

hehehehheheee

- Tim
  • Options
    $8.94. Not $10

Phone calls per day???

Ryan
  • Options
    the Sales Manager was trying to convince me to sign up for my one year of free ONSTAR that came with my Denali. When we were talking and walking towards his office, he asked me if I knew anyone interested in a 2500 LT, Indigo Blue...Hmmm sounds familiar? Anyway, I asked him why and he replied that the dealership's owner knew nothing of trucks since they had picked up the GMC line of trucks only 4 months prior and ordered the 2500 LT with his first order with GM. He stated that anyone knows that the only people that buy 2500's were State, City and County for their work crews or construction companies. Said that there is no market for a 2500 LT and once his salespeople showed potential customers the 2500LT with a sticker of $34K, the customers would walk around and comment that it was a nice truck but would rather have a 1500LT. It has now been close to 7 months and the 2500LT is still on their lot as of last Wednesday when I stopped by. There was also a sign on it which read Manager's Special...$31,995. Too bad Tim doesn't sell trucks as another person had asked in another topic. I'm sure he could convince someone of the 2500's great attributes...especially in Indigo Blue...maybe what it needs are flares...
  • Options
    to say 2500 SLE not 2500 LT
  • Options
    1..it should have flares if it's a 2500?...maybe GMC is different?...I thought they were the same..

As for interest..aren't you on the Islands?...I am in the Motor City...very different market.

..BTW...Ryan is Blue...Mine is Black.

Get it right man!

hehehehe

- Tim
  • Options
    wanted blue but settled for black this time around...

The GMC doesn't have the flares, but has the 4x4 sticker on the quarter panels...

Maybe it is the Indigo Blue, cause the SM also said that he sold a 2500SL,instead of special ordering, had it shipped from Texas, for an elderly couple, in carmine red...yes, this is a true story...

I told him that he should give himself a lot of credit in his sales ability since he was a successful salesman, then sales manager at a Dodge dealership. Anyone who can sell a ton of Dodge trucks has got to be good...LOL
  • Options
    on both quarterpanels. Dealer sent truck out to repaint back half of truck. Was looking at truck today in the sunlight and couldn't figure out why the back half of the truck looked so good compared to the front half. I was figuring that maybe it was because the paint was new. Took a closer look and figured it out. The rear half of the truck has absolutely no orange peel. I should have had the autobody shop repaint the whole truck at the same time if I knew they were that good...
  • Options
    Obyone said:

elderly
    couple, in carmine red

hmmm carmine red and old people???? haha

All 4x4 3/4 tons should come with flares.
    Thats the reason no one is buying it tell him to throw some black flares on it.

Tim i think you are watching to much of the simpsons your turning into Ned.

Ryan
  • Options
    you must watch to know who he is!

I never wanted blue....I wanted carmine with Gold flares and bottom...But 2 tone is a no go for an LT and the oak interior would be all I would get with that combo...and it looks horrible in leather.

Blue only looks good to me with Silver bottom and flares..(sorry boss)...

I still like the carmine /gold combo...(regardless of what anyone says)(after all...when do I conform with yawl anyway?)..and have eyes on the new Sunset Orange as well....don't know what bottom to get yet with it though..

...why do we keep having the same talks?

LOL

I gotta take a leave from this place for a while....

- Tim
  • Options
    You cant go Tim. Thats not cool.

Tim the blue and silver combo does look good but with silver flares um i dont know about that. I think i would get blue ones then.

OH YEA just remembered. Yesterday i was leaving my house to take the "wife" to go see me myself and irene. Started the truck up and man i never heard this kinda noise before. It was a pretty loud ticking noise. It only lasted till about the end of the block (maybe 1000 ft). It was really wierd it ran fine just a ticking noise. Could this be from gas? I put in amoco this past time and all the times before i put in shell (i had to put in amoco i had like a gallon left with no shell in sight and i used my dads amoco card so gas was on him last wk haha). Anyone have a ticking noise??? I think my dads blazer had one once a few months ago but it didnt seem this loud. Thanks

Ryan
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    no ticking here. did get the wade bed rail caps put on. 'bout 30 minutes of work (28 of which was getting the freakin' red backing of the tape peeled off!!!). they look and fit great. couldn't be happier. now, just gotta wait till august and i'll be looking for a line-x UTR spray in.

kyle
  • Options
    I have mine put on already. I have to retape 1 little section that keeps coming up. That damn tape does suck. They need to make it easier for that red backing to come off. I told you you would like em didnt i? I have good taste. Did you get the ones with the stake holes? Mine are solid no holes.

A word of advice:

Dont go in a spray in bedliner that has been in the sun with no shoes or socks. Its figgin hot. Like hot coals. i love the liner though no sliding at all. I have been hauling alot of wood,cement,mulch lately and i can drive like a manic (which i dont) and nothing will slide around. Dont even need to really tie 12 ft boards down either they stay in 1 place. AND WHO SAID i wasnt gonna haul anything with my truck Well you lost tha bet

Ryan
  • Options
    ticking can usually be related to an exhaust leak. so why would it disappear after 1000'. Maybe the engine and gaskets warmed and expanded enough to close the leak. Hmmm...keep an ear on that one Ryan...
  • Options
    smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    Curious to know how much you paid over/under invoice for your Silverado?
  • Options
    Exhaust leak? The noise is coming from the engine.

Ryan
  • Options
    tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    Tim - I read the 39 posts on Edmunds in ref to bedliners. My main need for a bedliner is to prevent rust. What is your recommendation, Line-X or Duranliner?

Ryan - Could the ticking be the valves? I "believe" in Bluebeast's link on oil filters, the study says the PF59 "may" cause some noise at start-up. I can't remember if that was the PF59 for sure, but it was one of the filters. Did you use 10-30W or 5W-30?
  • Options
    The exhaust manifold is attached to the engine. Therefore exhaust leak.....

The dealer who changed you oil did use a AC Delco PF59 didn't he? Not an oil filter from Taiwan...
  • Options
    They put in 5W-30 and used the AC DELCO PF59. I got the oil change friday. I didnt drive it much this weekend up until yesterday so that could be it. It didnt make any noise this morning. I drove hom from my bball game last night in stop and go and maybe that had something to do with it. And maybe the heat it was 90 degrees 100% humidity. Ill keep an eye out but i dont think its bad just wanted some input thanks.

Bedliner if your not going to get a cap or lid and your truck will sit outside i would suggest the spray in. I had a cap and a pendaliner drop in in my 92 S-10. In a few spots close to the tail gate where water got to the paint it started to rust. The truck is 8 yrs old i know but it seems only where water got and wasnt dried is where it rusted. I know the spray in covers that up and prevents rust. Tim will tell you if you throw something heavy in that it will dent your truck and liner. The liner will form with the dent if that happens. If you dont plan on hauling like 95% of the time the spray in would probably be best for you man. Ive never heard one bad thing from anyone who has had a spray in bedliner and i see them alot and i always ask them how they like it at work. The thing they like is the no sliding the best.
  • Options
    If it was an exhaust leak (ive heard a few) wouldnt the noise be constant? This last no more than maybe 2 mins.

Yea it was the PF59

Ryan
  • Options
    a PF59 and Mobil one 5-30 and get the tick noise every startup. It's somewhere between a lifter noise and an exhaust leak from the manifolds?...(the exhaust starts at the engine Ryan)..but it goes away soon after. beats me what the hell it is?

17K miles and it runs fine.

As for a liner to eliminate rust?....well...A duraliner will rub some paint off....but mine never did rust..even when all the way to the primer. Others say they had lots of rust?
    Spray ins....well...they gring the crap out of the bed to the bare metal...and supposedly seal it up airtight. if there is a leak..it's already down to the bare metal. even if it was damp when they sprayed it in...that's all it takes to rust. I figure at least with a drop in I can take it out in a few seconds and see what is going on...and fix if need be.

They make some kind of mat to go under drop ins to reduce wear...but what kind of moisture is that holding??

Good Luck

- Tim..over and out for a while..
  • Options
    Seems the spray in also dampens some noise.

Sorry guys you said exhaust leak and me not being awake quite yet (up till 2am got up at 5:45am) it made me think of the rear of the truck.

Ryan
  • Options
    rickd53rickd53 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a service contract from Warranty Gold. It is cheaper than the GM offering and covers the same "Bumper to Bumper" the 3yr/36K covers. Any experience with this company or any other for that matter?
  • Options
    i agree with the others. i'm getting line-x because i don't plan on "roughing up" the bed. i will haul with it, but the likelyhood of dropping big rocks, or shoveling gravel or mulch out of it will be infrequent. and if i do shovel something out of it, tim (in the past) has brought up a good point: be careful enough not to punch down into the liner. i'd skim the shovel across the surface. for the number of times i'll do this, i can't imagine it being a problem. i also am looking for rust protection. i had a drop-in in my '94 sonoma. i don't know if it ever rusted or not...never took it out and the dealer didn't look at it when i traded. i do know it was over-the-rail and the bed rails looked like sh*t whenever i pried the liner up.
    if your main need is preventing rust, i'd recommend you go the spray-in route. there may be a very remote chance of corrosion occuring but i think logic tells you it's a lot less chance than with a drop in. tim does bring up another good point when he says, "I figure at least with a drop in I can take it out in a few seconds and see what is going on...and fix if need be." the question is...how often will you pull it to check for rust? and how extensive might the damage be before you catch it?
    i'm going with the spray-in...that's my 0.02

kyle
  • Options
    KYLE haha

Guys i thought u said i wouldnt be around much after i met that girl??? Im still here arent i?

Ryan
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    you guys are great - LOL. I was thinking the tires and Z71 sticker. Lord knows about 90% of the 1500's are Z71's.

Extended warranty - I wouldn't bother, but for peace of mind I'd get the cheapest you can find. You know they make money on these things and usually within the first 3/36 you can tell if you got a lemon or not - good luck...
  • Options
    ref: post # 513 - i don't get it...what did i say that was funny?

kyle
  • Options
    jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    Does the ticking noise get louder when the engine is under load? If so , it is an exhaust leak. Had this on my old '85 truck. When the pipes got warm it stopped. Took more than 100' though. more like a mile.

On the subject of noises.. Has anyone noticed their CD player motor runs even when the unit is off? I was in the garage, turned off the truck, and before opening the doors, I heard a whinning noise from the CD player. There was a CD in it, but was switched off. The motor ran for awhile, then shut off. A min. later it came on again, then off. Seemed strange to me. Comments?
  • Options
    SOrry just that your getting a spray in and agreeing with me and not tim

Ryan
  • Options
    tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    http://www.paintsaver.net/
    Cheap insurance?
  • Options
    mrsandmanmrsandman Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone! got a question on locking diffs. i have a 2000 silverado with a locking diff. and when the roads are wet the left rear tire will break loose and spin when i nail the gas. and when i'm in mud or on grass and the wheels break loose i can hear banging going on in the rear end, like each tire is taking turns. is this normal, or am i looking at a possible problem? any insight into the normal operation of these rear ends would be great. thanks, chris
  • Options
    jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    You got it right mrsandman, they do bang in. I don't think they switch wheels back and forth, just lock the two together. When you let off on the power,or go approx. 35mph, it unlocks.
  • Options
    gas. hey buddy watch out if you get my drift.
    Shell gas is known to have dirt(sand) in their
    supplys. if you think i'm foolin' then just go
    and fill up a gallon cont. and then strain it.
    walluh' instant dirt(sand) particles! my ex bike
    ridin' buddy made a believer out of me when my
    Honda VF 1000 had a vibrating noise coming from
    the fuel tank. upon draining and pulling the
    float assembly out(which is where the noise came
    from) we found sand. it's first tank of fuel was
    none other than Shell. the particles were large
    enough that a normal fuel filter would catch, but

what does this mean? premature clogging of the
    filter which only means early replacement. on a
    bike no biggie, but check out the filter on the
    Silverado. mechanically inclined as i am, i
    would'nt attempt the replacement, and i don't
    want to pay for early replacement. don't get me
    wrong, Shell gas is consistent in their
    formulation(refinement) but for some reason they
    end up with dirt in their gas.
    not my .02's worth but rather a considerate word
    of advice for someone that does'nt need any more
    problems than you've already had.
    I too have had some strange noise on the drivers
    side. comes and goes. go to the service
    department and it goes away. i guess if it's
    something that's gonna cause a problem then
    eventually it will and then it will get fixed.
    until then i'm glad the radio still works.

...red
  • Options
    that's what i think is happening to 'ol TIM. it
    use to be where Tim would put up a pretty good
    argument. obviously there's been no competition
    for him or he would'nt run off like this. this is
    not the "LURD" i thought i knew. it might also be
    a new love affair with that ORANGE chevy he's
    startin' to talk about.
    yep, that's what it is. he's prbably beggin' mama
    right now. honest ma no more edmunds, just let me
    get the new truck. please,please,please, i
    promise to be good.
  • Options
    bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    I agree with Tim's and Obyone's posts that a ticking noise at startup that quickly goes away would most likely be lifters not getting oil or your exhaust manifold... where the gasket would quickly heat up, expand and seal off a leak after a minute or so. To nail it down better, have someone start your truck in the morning with you standing at the engine with the hood up and you should be able to determine the source.

I found PF59 filters at the local WalMart. Lot's of 'em at $2.73 each.

Hey Gnipper- Still like the exhaust system? I'm still stewing over what to do. Quiet in the cab?

clay
  • Options
    odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    I never heard back from you regarding the exhaust question. When you were talking about a droning noise at 1500-1800 RPMs, were referring to the stock exhaust or aftermarket? Thanks

Mark
  • Options
    gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    jkania - The sound the stereo is making is some sort of fan - I guess to keep it cool, it isn't the CD motor. I played with this in detail and reported it a couple of months ago. Take the CD out and it still happens. Play the CD and turn the volume down and you'll hear the CD motor which is different than the sound you've heard.

Bassamatic - Actually yes I still like the exhaust - in reality it is very much what I wanted - it is quiet - in fact so quiet, that I'm beginning to think I might have wanted louder, but I know that what I have is what I need.

Have to admit, between a couple of slow drivers that hacked me off and a CD with a good fast song and the desire to hear more of the mufflers got me a ticket on Sunday. Had the windows down driving on Central in Dallas. Driving 70 in a 60 - (officer told me 77 and wrote that in the comments, but actually wrote the ticket at 70 - I don't know whats up with that) so nothing major, but now just the annoying Driver Safety Class to have it dismissed, and court costs, but in TX that nets me a 10% discount on my insurance anyway, so that will help.

I have noticed that driving the truck the last few weeks was getting out of control. Not getting to drive it during the week, its just like a new truck every weekend. I guess I need to take it out to West TX where it is flat for miles and get it out of my system. The truck is so fun to drive and it will haul butt just getting on it easy - so its already got me in trouble. I guess I'll grow up this week and drive it a little easier and forget hearing the pipes very much !!

Greg
  • Options
    rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I wouldn't get an extented warranty...can you say RIPOFF! You'll know if your truck is a lemon before the 3/36 is finished!

That's how the locker kicks in, it's a clunk, bang and it's locked!

I went to my dealer today and saw these yellow/orange silverado's. They look like dept. of transport trucks. This is the new color that's available now. They had a loaded 4WD X-cab LT Z71. It looked more like a company or government truck then a personal truck with that color.
    rcoos
  • Options
    it could also be the pneumonia that he said he was having a second bout with last week. Pneumonia, that's nasty stuff...
  • Options
    roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    What's the name and location of that GMC dealer with the 2500 SLE he can't sell? I prefer the Chevy, but if the price is right, I might consider the GMC? Thanks.
  • Options
    The noise has only happened once and hasnt done it since. Im taking a wild guess its not an exhaust leak.

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.