Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XII

Comments

• Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...Ryan Pipes up...

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I was just curious what u meant by peanut gallery.

Man you guys werent talkative today. Everyone busy?

Oh yesterday i seen a black silverado with a 3 in lift damn it looked nice nice big tires too.

Ryan
  • Options
    the expression.."comments from the peanut gallery?"

I am old man

- Tim
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    any aftermarket exhaust you put on will be louder than stock. I have a Gibson and it is louder, but that's what I wanted. It's not extremely loud though, enough so I can hear it, but not bother the guy next to me. Some of those Flowmaster, Dynomax ones can be very loud though. Mine is just about right, but would like it better if it was just a little quieter...
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    ever thought of adding a resonator? Will definitely help to lower resonance. I also installed sound proofing in the back of the cab. Had to remove the rear seat and stock padding, but the results were pretty good. Truck rides a little quieter and stereo sounds better.

Tim

My truck has been in the dealer's for exactly 3 weeks and two days. I have a '00 Silverado that had 400 miles when they gave it to me and will return with close to 3000 on it. Drive a Cavalier? I would drive a Tundra before a Cavalier... ;)
  • Options
    WOAH WOAH OBYONE i think you went a little to far there man

Ryan
  • Options
    an honest answer please. If given a choice, which would you drive? '97 Cavalier with a hamster or a Tundra? an honest answer.... LOL
  • Options
    Id ride my bike (have to dust it off first)

Or have my parents drive me around

Ryan
  • Options
    Ryan....you DO DRIVE the tundra....right??

Well, I have my truck back...and I have a desire to beat the living .......
    GRRRRRRRRR

Dropped it off Wednesday at 7:30 AM....with an appointment I made a week before. called later in day to be curious what they found?....he said they will know more tomorrow...OK..they are looking at it now?...(I thought).
    Called today...they haven't looked at it yet. I said what good is an appointment if you don't look at it then?...don't you think I would rather drive my truck in the mean time??.....an hour ago I called the rental chick to be sure the car would be extended till tomorrow..as it says to be back at 6:00 tonight..she tells me that it's ok...because my truck won't be looked at until tomorrow...maybe!...I said I will be right over to pick it up...

GRRRRRRRRR

I wanted to beat the......outa someone. Don't lie to me with an appointment that means nothing. I went to the owner and gave him my story.(he wasn't happy).. Swamme says some free stuff is gonna be coming my way soon!

The noise is a humm that if it was out of warranty..who cares...but hey..if some shlep wants to fix it for free to me!....

perhaps it's the blue tranny fluid issue that was a topic a while back?>...(there is one not on your list quad!)

GRRRRRRR

Gimme a beer man.......cuz I need it!

..so how is yawls blood pressure today??

LOL

..btw..I was going to turn the car in today..even though it was free..and catch a ride or bring out the olds....I hate that cavalier....(which honestly..I would drive over a Tundra)

- Tim
  • Options
    jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    hows it going.. just saw your pics of your fold-a-cover and am interested in it. I was wondering how easy it is to install, if u have to do any drilling into to the sheetmetal, how it locks and whether the cover prevents the tailgate from being opened when locked. Also i was wondering how it has performed, whether it is water tight and durable.... any information would be great.. and cool silverado... thanks...
  • Options
    Calm down i know how u must feel . Dont wanna lose you over there. Hopefully itll get taken care of soon. This is one reason i dont wanna take my truck in. They like to "hold" onto them for awhile

Ryan
  • Options
    ekammererekammerer Member Posts: 5
    I am ordering a 2001 2wd LS Extended Cab, and my dealer pal provided a photocopy of his brand new Silverado dealer info, which I have in front of me. New features are as follows:
    - Traction assist (NW7) available on 2wd models only
    - OnStar shows up mid-year on the LT trucks
    - Z71 Fleetside has optional ProTec Composite pickup box
    - Seatback map pockets on all up-level seats (all but the base vinyl and cloth)
    - Exterior color Sunset Orange Metallic replaces Dark Copper Metallic
    - Exterior color Forest Green Metallic replaces Meadow Green Metallic
    - Interior color Tan replaces Medium Oak
    -Dual seat-mounted cupholders

Deletions for 2001 are as follows:
    - Interior trim Medium Gray Custom Cloth deleted
    - Dash-mounted cupholders (fold down from under ashtray) deleted
    - UV8 Cell phone provisions and UL5 radio delete are deleted
    - Manual transmission on 1500 Extended Cabs deleted
    -Snow plow prep package (VYU) is N/A on 2wd models

Other than these, no changes. Trucks ordered first part of June scheduled for build in early-Sept. Next order submission date (nationwide) is July 11, with estimated build dates late-Sept.

If you have specific questions about combinations, I'd be willing to help.

Eric
  • Options
    On-star for LT's eh?

Standard or optional?

..course men don't need things like that!!!

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    y2k4aly2k4al Member Posts: 11
    This is in response to post #336 by SWOBIG. When my fan is off, it is OFF. There is no ail flow at all. I always wondered if this was normal because my '92 ext. cab always had air flow which increased with vehicle even with the fan off.

Al
  • Options
    gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    I personally love the bells and whistles - doesn't mean I'll follow directions. In all honesty, the On*Star system is very cool, especially considering it has been available for 5 or 6 years (I work for the old GM subsidiary that helped develop it and still runs the system, but I don't work in that group). I would pay for it in a heartbeat if they would only give me the GPS screen in the vehicle like the other makers are now doing (other makers played catch up, but now have leapfrogged the GM technology). I don't want to have to pick up a phone and talk to someone for directions. Considering this was developed for the high end, I guess they thought the older generation (more typical Caddy owners) would balk at the technology, but would pick up the phone.

I have a GPS - Garmin III Plus and love it. Will admit it is more of a toy, but has been used to get me somewhere as well. Its really cool to take on a plan ride and watch it register 32,000 feet and 550 MPH. Of course it isn't a legal electronic device, some pilots however say its OK, so ask before you try it.

Greg
  • Options
    how much is a resonator? Not really familiar with one - does it slip over the tailpipe?

y2k4al,
    yeah, my fan is on even when off. My car does this also. It's not very much, but I do notice it more the faster I go. Must be by design, but I can't figure out why.

Tim,
    Went through the same thing with one of my company vehicles. Why make an appointment and then look at it 3 days later?? BAD SERVICE. I understand things get backed up, but at least give me a call. Nope, they get to it when they get to it and it pi$$e$ me off. Onstar - no thanks - don't like that monthly fee...
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    A word about dealers:

At Burt Chevrolet, they don't take appointments. It's first come first serve. Cars are lined up outside the door at 6:00 am of course, but it's rare that they don't have it ready by 3:00 pm the same day. They are a very busy, no nonsense shop, but very good. Service department is closed on Saturdays, so they really hustle to get things finished during the week. If you don't watch your step around there, you'll get run over.
  • Options
    to buy a Lexus or Infiniti, they wrote the book on it. Sure wish they worked on Chevy trucks...especially with that good looking customer service rep...looks something like Shania...oops...sorry Quad.

swobig

Last time I got a quote, was about $40, but costs additional to install it...maybe about $20 more. They will cut a piece off of your tailpipe and install/weld it between the muffler and the tip. It's pretty small maybe about 6-7" long. Meant to do mine but the sound insulation padding seems to be working ok. Still plan to have it done...as soon as the dealer gives me my truck back. Been three weeks and with the looks of it may be another 2 weeks since it appears that my truck qualifies for the TSB in which they change out most of the front end.

Onstar

Got a free year with my Denali...haven't signed up for it yet though. Kinda like big brother following you around all the time. The only thing that I like about it is if you lock your keys in the car, they can remotely unlock it by giving the operator a preassigned passcode and the emergency services that come with airbag deployment. Other than that, kinda hard to get lost on an island...
  • Options
    bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    Sounds like you got a nice truck coming. I'm sure you will be happy with it. Mine is similar, 'cept I also went with the electrochromatic mirror. Sure glad I did, it's not that much more $$ but knowing the outside temp. and direction is nice.

Enjoy your rig!

clay
  • Options
    I have thought about a GPS for when I bird hunt state land. It's kinda thick...and while we have been there several times..and always found our way out (sometimes with a compass)(which you should know how to use even if you have a GPS)....ya get twisted up and all the works sometimes in them woods. Sometimes you know where to go in the X direction...but can't due to a huge swamp or whatever. if I could mark all the features....it would be cool as some do that.

I looked at Garmin III...looked nice..

This dealer has been very good....but the salesman even told me the service department has ben slipping. They fired a few people and lost some good Mechanics...GRRRRRR...The owner does care and has been trying to fix the problem.

I told him I don't care if it's tied up for a week...as long as it's being worked on. And don't lie that it is..cuz if I find out....GRRRRRR

If an appointment means nothing...why make them? If you are backed up Tuesday..call me and tell me it looks like it won't be worked on till Friday..do you still want to leave it?....

I got it now....so screw this weekend for taking it in. I need it to haul some more topsoil thsi weekend...maybe more retaining wall bricks.

When I tell someone I will do X service at X time..dammit..I keep my word..

Swamme says when the owner calls me back in...I'm gonna be first in line this time!!

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the info. I will look into this and see if it may resolve my problems. I looked under the truck tonight and there doesn't seem to be much room after the muffler for the installation of the resonator. Would the ideal location fall between the muffler the the rear axle or after the rear axle but before the 90 degree bend?

I'm curious, what exactly did you do with sound proofing material at the rear of the cab? What type of sound proofing material was used?

Gnipper - sorry, I think I had you confused with Bassamatic who, I believe, replaced his exhaust to eliminate the droning but I may be wrong on this as well. Glad your happy with your system!

Mark
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    You have to find a good dealer. Both Chevy dealers near me are fine, one of the two really goes the extra mile for work even on cars not purchased there. They are at least as good as any of the cheap imports like Lexus and Infinity. From comments I have heard from Lexus owners (my father in law for one) and some of the others, in general the one Chevy dealer far surpasses the cheap imports.

Richard
  • Options
    the resonator that I saw was about 6-7" long and actually looked like a mini muffler. It would probably go after the rear axle but before the 90 bend. I was about to take my truck in to do it but went to dealer to work on vibes before I could. Two of my part time employees also work at Midas and were telling me about it.

The sound proofing looks like carpet with a thick adhesive on the back. It came in 20" x 24" sheets. Just cut, peel, and stick onto the back panel of the truck. Got to remove the rear seat and padding first though. Hard to give numerical results in the sound deadening. My guess would be about a 25% reduction in resonance. Noticeable, but not perfect.
  • Options
    could surpass the cheap imports Hyundai and Subaru, maybe even Mitsubishi...

Lexus and Infiniti cheap?....maybe 10 year old ones. The Lexus LS 400 retails at $65K. Not cheap to me...maybe to Bill Gates...
  • Options
    rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I have the soft tonneau cover (GM) on my truck. It was ordered on the truck (by the dealer) when I bought it.

It has a lip that the cover slide around to seal the cover. It perfect for me, since I have a ATV that I load in the bed (I didn't want a fiberglass cover) & I think that it improves the gas mileage too!
    rcoos
  • Options
    My buddy has an '97 F250 diesel. The other day it started acting up...running rough, stalling. He called dealers within 100 miles looking for someone who could work on it. One told him they have 4 diesel mechanics, but two were on vacation. Another told him they could schedule an appointment in two weeks. He said, "How am I supposed to schedule my breakdowns?" Eventually, he tried Phil Long Ford, they told him bring it in, they plugged in the diagnostic tester, immediately read out faulty camshaft sensor. I believe it was covered under his 100,000 mile engine warranty with $100 deductible. Diesels are scary...
  • Options
    The one I like is Garmin E-trax? It's tiny, and yellow. I was doing GPS when country wasn't cool....My Magellan trailblazer worked for years even with its broken LCD bezel, right up until last month. I'm in the market again.

Bought the firearm. Can't wait to shoot it. Savage 24F, over 'n under. Bottom barrel is 12 ga shotgun, top barrel is 223 remington. It's kind of strange looking, but has good balance. I have some varmint eradication tasks in mind, picket pins, prairie dogs, rabbits, porcupine, grouse, rattle snakes. Also lynx, spotted owl, perigrine falcon, sand crane...(kidding). Friend had a coiled baby rattler strike at him, then chased him him for 8 ft. I'm going to carry a couple rounds of rifled slug or 00 buckshot for peace of mind...black bears are looking for food. They are not rare, but actually a bigger problem in city limits, getting into garbage and such. Such is life in the old west, at least in my crazy head...
  • Options
    sounds like you should be riding a horse instead of driving a truck. Those GPS systems are neat, I can't figure out why more delivery companies don't have them. I know in my business we could definately use them, but industry wide acceptance of them has been week. Can't figure out why. You can get a decent one for a couple hundred bucks can't you???
  • Options
    What part of indiana r u from?

One other question why are you getting rid of it?

Ryan
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Sorry to shift out of sequence here, but had to wait 3 days for password to return.
    As a training instructor for an automotive brake company, I would beg a moment of your time to continue the discussion of the brake pedal feel. Ryan, I jumped into this after reading that, I believe it was, your mother had a moment of panic regarding the brakes on your truck.
    The 4 wheel disc brakes generally have an unusual feel and take some getting used to. The primary reason is that unlike drum brakes, there is no additional leverage provided by a drum shoe length against the anchor pin. Disc brakes rely totally on the ability of the pad and rotor to develop a "Friction Coupling". This takes a while to do, about 200 to 500 miles. On page 2-14 of your owner's manuals, it discusses the facts regarding "avoiding making hard stops" for this period, and suggests that this be done every time you get new linings. On page 5-66 in volume 1 of that wonderful $120 4 volume set of service manuals, it discusses the actual burnishing process that should be done. For those that don't have it, "make 20 stops from 30 mph (48 km. for our Canadian friends) using medium to firm brake pedal pressure. Be careful not to overheat the breaks (that's really how they spelled it!) while performing the burnishing procedure."
    When I drove my new (2 mi on it) truck off the lot, I wasn't sure that it was going to stop when I got to the street!!!!! Said to myself, "OK, you know what this is all about so take it easy and plan ahead for stops." Aside from the inconsistent stopping distances, plan ahead and stop short, brake late and wonder if it going to stop, at about 300 miles it was like somebody threw a switch and suddenly I had good brakes. At about 4k miles now I feel that the friction coupling is about as good as it is going to get. You can tell by how the rotors look, evenly darkend gray without hot spot marks. So the antilock system (which is quite good-this ought to get the hate antilock folks going) is not necessarily responsible for the different pedal feel that you get with a disc/drum brake system.
  • Options
    silveradolt18silveradolt18 Member Posts: 3
    RYAN:

From Delphi

Getting rid of as new house construction is set to begin this summer--I will wait for the 2001 3/4 ton crew cab to buy another. I love this truck and hate to get rid of but with the high interest rates on homes I really need to liqidate--I have 3 vehicles and this one just sits in the garage anyway!
  • Options
    I am comfotable with the brakes truck has almost 3000 mls on it. It was the first time my mom actually drove it around and put alot of miles on it (not just to take my brother somewhere). It seems like this truck can stop on a dime i had to slam on the brakes today (jerkoff in front of me slammed on his for no reason) and i stopped very quickly. Only time i am scared with these brakes is going over bumps while braking it just has a very wierd feeling.

Silveradolt18- SOrry to hear you gotta get rid of it. Delphi thats down by indy isnt it? I only asked cause the area code of your number wasnt familiar. Up here its 219 (northwest indiana).

Im sure u will be able to sell it easily

Ryan
  • Options
    87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I have a Tikka O/U with 12 ga in top .222 on bottom. Single trigger with sliding selector. Great gun for turkey hunting.

How do you carry your log guns? Do you have a rack for the Silverado or do you put them in a case behind the seat? I thought of putting an overhead rack in my cap but I'm not sure I'd feel real secure if I made a stop somewhere.
  • Options
    I had looked at those on and off for years. Turkey hunting would be the only application for actual use for me...and I don't turkey hunt. Great idea though...a rifle and a shotgun in one. Seems either you can get an average model..like a savage for a fair price...or a mint priced one for thousands...no in-between it seems?

Gun racks are Illegal here in Michigan if I am correct in cars. I always liked the overhead roof mounted one by Big Sky Racks...but never chose to try it out. Behind the seat..(or under the rear seat now)..is fine for me..

My friggin' Pneumonia seems to be coming back..GRRRRRRR..just what I need..10 more days off!

have a good weekend...I may be gone from this machine..

- Tim
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Gnipper, what's the best and worst features of the Garmin III+? Am about to pop for one, with the handlebar mount for my dirt bike. We are locked outta the woods until it rains, so been riding out in the painted desert, and all the roads basically look the same.....

Quad, good choice on the Savage. I have one of their long guns in .243 for use on varmints, extremely accurate.

Gun storage in truck: lever action, loose, behind the seat, holstered handgun under the cup holder that is mounted to the bench seat.

New ordering system with GM for "sold vehicles" came on line this week. My 2001 HD2500 CC has a requested build date of mid-July. Suspect I won't actually get built till fall, but my salesguy says most all of the big truck orders are going in with either the 8.1L gas or the 6.6L diesel and since mine's a 6.0L manual might get lucky and get built early. Looking at $31K out the door. Damn, maybe should just keep driving around in my 22K '99.

Pricing is now avail online for the 2001's http://www.costcoauto.com
  • Options
    Price didnt go up much except in MSRP no more manual they added in the auto trans i guess.

ELECTRONIC CONTROLLED RIDE/HANDLING CONTROL -inc: 2-position electronic control for shock setting (smooth road/trailering) (REQ: Z71 Off-Road Pkg, QGC or QGD Tires) Code: FW1

This sounds like a nice option. Damn if i only waited a yr haha maybe ill trade mine in for a 2001

NO WAY JOSE!!!

Ryan
  • Options
    Lund interceptor

part #18063 i believe

$49.99

Ryan
  • Options
    smikessmikes Member Posts: 130
    ...for those of you have shopped the different offerings. Does anybody make an aftermarket GPS with a screen that mounts in the ____________? And has anybody mounted one in the Silverado?

I rode in a college buddy's BMW last year and he had a built in GPS screen in the console(?). Was really cool and I thought would be a fun toy on my next vehicle. Here in Seattle there's alot of pavement that doesn't run N,S,E or W...
  • Options
    Price on that Garmin E-trax was $99 on sale, but now all I can find are $119. :o(
    I think I saw a handlebar mount for it too, Mark.

Carry my long guns in case behind seat, or lock it in toolbox for more security.

Agree with Tim on combo guns, you can buy a Savage cheep ($379), or mint priced one for thousands...no in between.

Lion, the Savage has single trigger, with barrel selector on the hammer. Other thing I thought was kind of neat....the rear sight folds down, and the receiver has longitudinal grooves cut so it looks like shotgun sights when folded down, or rifle sights when flipped up.
  • Options
    breazealbreazeal Member Posts: 4
    Info ryan. For 412 smikes , I live on the east side(Bellevue, yeah I know) and got the truck from Brooks. where did you buy yours? and How is the service dept? Haven't needed Brooks dept yet but their parts guys seem to know whats going on. Thanks
  • Options
    dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Storch, I have a TekStyle soft cover with snaps.
    Good quality and fit. I did have to add some foam to the rails at the rear to allow clearance for the factory tailgate protector. The support ribs are easy to remove for hauling and the cover rolls up under the rear window. Very happy with it so far. The snapless covers are easier to open and close, figure a couple extra minutes to snap it into place with mine.
  • Options
    Haven't bought mine yet. I'm waiting (impatiently) for the 2001's to hit the lots. I want an LT and think I will like the new interior color medium neutral II over the gray. Don't want the graphite.

I've been dealing with Huling Bros here in West Seattle. My neighbor has a 2K Suburban and has had other Suburban's. Has always had his svc done at Huling and says they've treated him well. So I'm going to give them a go.

Sold my 91 Integra in April so it's bus/bike right now while I wait. Going to try chevy again. Had a 75 Monza with a V8 (didn't look like much but went like a raped ape) and regretfully sold my 64 Impala convertible to get the Integra.
  • Options
    Once you get a silverado you will forget all those other vehicles trust me

Ryan
  • Options
    but each has fond memories for me.

75 Monza: sleeper - would win most light to light races against cars with much more powerful engines. On green, they would spin and I would launch... They all underestimated it by it's ho-hum appearance...

64 Impala convertible: need I say more

91 Integra: first new car.
  • Options
    breazealbreazeal Member Posts: 4
    while shopping but they only had 1 2WD and it was an ugly green w/ buckets but we test drove it. Had a heck of a time finding a 2WD in the color we wanted. Missed out on a carmine red that was in PA. Seems no dealer wants to stock the 2WD. Aint got nothing against the 4X4's, I couldnt justify the cost when I only used it once in the past 3 1/2 years here in wa. in my previous truck. If it gets that bad I'll just stay home and let the crazies bounce off of each other.
  • Options
    I walk my pup in front of the two Huling lots (Chev & GMC) all the time. Inventory wise, seems like it's either feast or famine with them. Funny you mention the carmine. They have 3 or 4 of them sitting there right now. That's what I want, but want to see the new int. color.

I was originally going to get a 2WD myself, but alot of people I talked to (besides the salesman I'm working with) have said that those few extra thousand will pay for themselves come resale time.

I'm with you on the roads. I grew up in N. Dakota and was practically born driving in snow. 1" of snow paralyzes this place. I'll stay home even if I have a snomobile or SnoCat parked in the garage.
  • Options
    Your gonna kill me but here it goes

I left work early to go get a filter at this chevy dealer (where i got my body work done) and the manager guy that handled my truck was coming off lunch and he was like uh oh what hit u now i was like oh im just getting an oil filter and he was like when r u changing it i was like tomorrow he goes hold on ill save you the trouble i was like oh. He came back with the service dept manager and he said they will do it free of charge. Well i certainly jumped on that. 25 min and i was out the door. He only did that cause i wrote a page letter about how they didnt clean my truck up after they fixed it. Saved me the time tomorrow. They did a good job they make it out to be easy just lift the truck up (very high) and drain and check it all AND YES Grease the zerks haha i watched em do it so now i know what to do mainly why i took the free oil change.

Ok now the scolding im ready for it

At least tomorrow i can spend all day washing it :)

Ryan
  • Options
    sdpiersonsdpierson Member Posts: 69
    Has anyone tried painting their fender flares?
    Does the paint hold up well against chips?
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    no scolding here...good work. i'll take a free oil change any day. long as i can watch them do it. also...i had to have a mechanic buddy of mine show me before i was going to mess with it. i'll be damned if i was going to try to mess with this beauty and risk screwing it up cuz i didn't know what i was doing. now you know...next time we'll chew your butt for not doing it. find a place to get filters yet???

incidentally, my wade bed rail caps came today. will wash the truck and install them in the morning before it gets too hot. as i'm sure you all know - yes, i'll take and post pics. good weekend everyone!!!

kyle
  • Options
    johnt9johnt9 Member Posts: 10
    ANYONE HAD A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH A SALES REP IN HOUSTON THAT YOU WOULD RECOMMEND DEALING WITH?
This discussion has been closed.