Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XII

Comments

• Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Bad Ryan...bad Ryan...bad bad bad bad bad!!

admit it....you payed to have it done right basketball boy??....LOL

My first two were free...so hell yeah I'll have it done for free! I'm at point where I don't even wanna wash them or service them..just Drive!

I used to get a kick out of doing it all myself..but those days are over...although I still do quite a bit. Going to change the erl tomorrow and try a "technique"
    Even though the truck does not need to be on ramps...I'm gonna put it on them anyway..so the jet force of oil can shoot more towards the ground..instead of straight out at first....either it's gonna be a beaut...or it's gonna suck...we will see...

Flares,

I have seen 2 Black Z71's with Black painted flares instead of the Natural black. Personally I like the contrast with them natural..but It also looks good painted.

Dunno if they last better?....I know mine have taken some hard hits from rock flinging...and if they were painted?>....I'd imagine they would chip?...they have additives for plastic painted parts to help avoid chips....

Good Luck

- Tim

....bad Ryan!
  • Options
    bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    Post #263, rwagoner says "Lexus still sucks. very unimpressive". Bluebeast reply: "Pull your head out of the sand".

Post # 393, rwagoner says "Chev service departments are at least as good as any cheap imports like Lexus and infinity". Bluebeast reply: "Do you really believe what you are saying? Are you just a hater of these brands no matter how they are built? or Are you just ignorant as to anything that costs over $35K?

Oil filter study link: http://members.xoom.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

Oil information link: http://members.xoom.com/minimopar/oil.html

GM Vehicle Calibration Information: http://calid.gm.com/vci/

If someone will volunteer to be the keeper of the cell phone diagrams/information (RYANBAB), e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Post #388 Burt Chev in Denver? I hated that place when I lived in Colo.

Ryanbab, I see your holding your own, but I'll check in on ya every now and then!!
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    what's with that?
  • Options
    tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    there I checked the AC oil filter shelf - there is a space for PF59 but it is empty - must be a nationwide shortage - maybe they are "on contraint" also. Looks like it must be a pretty small size compared to the one I put on the rat motor in my 73.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Dealership had plenty of em only $4.99 i think too.
    Tim it does seem alot easier being up in the air i was kinda scared though it didnt look stable at all. You dont wash your own truck tim? I have to wash mine i cant have anyone else do it.

I seen a nice blue tahoe man they are nice but the price tag is a little high ($38000 loaded exactly like my silverado $32000)

Good luck with the bedrail caps Kyle.

Blue nice to hear from you yes i am holding my own.

Tim how much did your truck take in oil? I think you said 6.5? Thats what mine took.

Ryan
  • Options
    truckchic needs your help over in topic #2020...
  • Options
    tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    Do most auto parts or truck accessory shops have the Lund at that price?
  • Options
    peeroepeeroe Member Posts: 1
    I've been in the market for a new Chevy truck since last Nov. but it seems no one is interested in selling me one unless I give them a blank check. I have no trouble with the MSRP but the sales price is much too high. The new body style is already in its 3rd year so it is no longer THAT new. Plus I find the window stickers to be down right deceitful. I always thought "No Charge" meant something that is free. "No Charge" on a window sticker now means we already charged you for that item but we're not gonna tell you how much. You will have to figure that out on your own. And as many of you in this discussion group have mentioned - the average salesman just doesn't seem to know much about the vehicles he/she is selling. It's basically - this is what we got and this is what we want for it - take it or leave it. The dealer down the street from me has over 200 trucks on hand - so many that he doesn't have room on the lot to show them all.They are locked up in a new fenced in gravel lot behind the dealership. What gives here? There are no shortages of chevy trucks except for the one I want. Reg. cab LS sb. white (5.3 liter). MSRP - approx. $23,500. My best price - $20,700 but must order it. This is too much money. I need a rebate or package discount from the factory to buy this truck.No one carries this line of truck anymore (everything is extended cab now) and they act like they are doing me a favor if they order me one. Guess I will just wait till the economy gets bad again.
  • Options
    Leaking quarter windows

Dealer has replaced mine total of three times, the last with the new and improved latches. When pushing on the window from the inside, one can move the window enough to create a 1/8" gap. Dealer says that GM said to do the $1 test. Place a $1 bill between the window and the weatherstripping and close the window. If the $1 bill stays in place, it is within specs. Who knows at this point. The $1 stays in place on mine. BTW, the new replacement windows have the latches located about half way up the window, unlike the old ones which were closer to the bottom. Hope this helps...

On the hesitation, how long do you allow the engine to warm up. Mine did the same when I placed the truck in drive immediately upon startup. So now I let it idle for about 15 - 20 seconds before placing in drive and no problems.
  • Options
    leavyleavy Member Posts: 34
    Ryan:
    Don't wash your truck tomorrow, it's supposed to rain all weekend in northern IN.

Ramp users:
    You guys have balls for using ramps with a 2 1/2 ton truck. I won't even put my car on those things. Something about stamped sheet metal I don't like. Jackstands, or atleast a floor jack are the way to go.

Why do you even need anything? Can't you crawl underneath without using a jack? Should have enough ground clearance, although I've never been underneath a Silverado.

-- Leavy
  • Options
    khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    I to went with Henna in Austin,$400 over invoice,no problem,also Covert in Bastrop offered me the same thing but I live in Austin and Henna has a huge inventory,they claim to be the #6 dealer in the nation,deal with Troy Gothard,he's a straight up guy,tell him I sent you.

Kirk Harris
  • Options
    mrsandmanmrsandman Member Posts: 2
    On the quarter windows, did the third set solve the air leakage problem or is it still present? do you know of any do it yourself repairs to fix the leakage? I have read some posts about rivets through frame and screws between the body of truck and the frame of the window. I was just wondering if any these fixes work before i attempt them.

On the hesitation, I live in syracuse, NY. during the winter months i would let the truck warm up for several minutes, no problems. now that its warmer i would guess at least 20 seconds and its become an intermittant problem. i'll try to warm it up longer and see if it makes a difference. thanks for the help!
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Ryan

Anytime you get something for free it is not. Call it a thankyou, a we're sorry, or an investment in future business. A lot of savy dealers are getting on the ball out there and using the oil change business to draw in customers. Frankly it is a good idea. Worked in dealer while at college in Michigan and Pennsylvania. Things have changed a great deal, but some dealers still operate by the old school.

You did good man!
    matt
  • Options
    Quarter windows-

I never had the wind noise after the first change. What bothered me was that the windows could be pushed open even in the locked position. If you are trying to rid the windnoise, just have the dealer install the new quarter windows and it will solve your problem...
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    >Are you just a hater of these brands no matter how they are built? or Are you just ignorant as to anything that costs over $35K?<

Are you impressed with everything that comes out of Japan (Toyota specifically)? I gave reasons for not liking them. Perhaps if you looked more closely at design and manufacturing and less at marketing, you'd see the deficiencies of Lexus (Toyota everywhere but the brand-conscience US) Infinity (Nissan everywhere but in the brand-conscience US) and Acura (Honda everywhere but in brand-conscience US).

I just demand more than you. If I did not demand much, then perhaps I too could settle for a cheap (cheaply made but overpriced) import.

By the way, don't misquote me. I specifically said that the TWO CHEVY DEALERS NEAR ME were as good with one being better. I never said that ALL Chevy dealers are better than ALL Lexus/Infinity dealers. You, on the other hand, did state that ALL Lexus/Infinity dealers are better than ALL Chevy dealers. To use your own words, get your head out of the sand.
  • Options
    walts3walts3 Member Posts: 1
    Any one know of some good dealships in the Dallas - Ft. Worth area? I am going to order the new 2001 Silverado.
  • Options
    chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    Quarter windows - Did they make any change in the lock mechanism on the replacements? Mine don't make wind noise but the latch seems to barely be holding and it seems like it could be popped open easily from the outside. Or are there any after market locks that can be added?
  • Options
    ALready started raining here

SO itll sit tomorrow :(

Truckchic needs help how?

I got my bug guard from the place i got my spray in bedliner. I know all the local auto parts places have them around here but they are like $75. There are a few websites to try

Http://www.wrenchead.com

WHats so other ones guys where did you all get yours at? I forget now.

Ryan

Sorry i couldnt catch up on all the posts i had the "wife" over before work then went to work
  • Options
    gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    walts3 - I know you said Silverado, but if you'd consider a GMC you can't beat Sewell. You might pay them a couple hundred bucks extra, but my experience says its worth it. I bought a '96 GMC from Ewing in Plano because they beat Sewell by $500. I get the GM employee discount, but back then we could still negotiate then get 5% more off. I kicked myself for 4 years for not buying at Sewell.

My first trip in for service at Ewing, the service manger knew less than the salesman about the truck - and you know how little they usually know. I never did and never will set foot in their dealership again. I ended up going to Sewell for service after that and they made a very quick long term customer out of me.

I go into the detail because I actually prefer the little more traditional front end on the Chevy, but when I was ready to buy I went back to Sewell and with GMC - just for their service and the way they take care of their customers. I hope they continue to be as good, but my service manager that I like so well got promoted to Cadillac, so I do have to deal with someone new, but the service was impeccable. I've never had to make appointments weeks in advance, I've never had work that wasn't done, and I've never had all the excuses that people say their dealers have been giving them.

Go in and see JR. Tell him I sent you. He admitted in the end that I may have known a little more about the truck than he did, but overall he knows the trucks very well.

Greg
  • Options
    I like the Garmin III plus because of its versatility, the amount of detail in the base maps that are built in, plus the ability to download detailed street level maps to it. It will hold about two big counties at a time. It's ease of use, ability to connect to a computer for input to a mapping program or download of its detailed maps as well as for updating its base program all added up and made it the one I wanted.

Its screen is a tad smaller than what I wanted, but I ruled out the street pilot because of the extra costs to buy each detailed city if you travel much, even though I really wanted turn by turn directions for traveling.

I hope that as the idea and machines become more widely adopted the prices will continue to drop. There are several new one on the market, one or two have been mentioned here, that are getting pretty cheap, but I think they are more limited in their base maps and ability to hook up for downloads or connection to a PC.

I hope this helps.

Greg
  • Options
    Sorry guys, I'm in a posting mode tonight.

I've been thinking about this as I read the complaints about the ABS system on the GM trucks, I couldn't agree more about its reaction when you hit a bump, go over railroad tracks, etc. But by reading posts here and over at Pacific-Audio forum, the number of people replacing shocks are pointing to the real problem. The stock shocks just aren't quite what they should be. The performance shocks/aftermarket shocks give a better ride and probably keep the wheels on the ground a little better. But as soon as one of the wheels breaks free and spins at a different speed than the rest ABS is going to take over.

Out on a smooth flat road, mine will throw you through the window when you get on the brake pedal hard.

I'm ready to join the growing group that has replaced shock, but I've spent too much on other accessories, so they'll have to wait a while.

For those that have upgraded your shocks can you confirm whether or not you still get the same response from the ABS in these situations.

Greg
  • Options
    with Edlebrock IAS still does it. Especially on good sized potholes/manhole covers. Somehow just can't get use to it. However, with a load, pothole or no pothole, no problem. Maybe because the truck is designed to carry a load? I remember a friend's '92 3500 dually use to lock the rear tires with an empty bed, like a semi...tires smokin and skreechin, but put 800# in the back and no problem.

Sewell

"Go in and see JR" - I thought JR was a Ewing, brothers Bobby and Gary, niece Lucy, parents Miss Elly and Jock, and wife Sue Ellen... ;)
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    my mistake earlier, I though the Toy was a Isuzu make, but it's Honda that has the Isuzu's. I do agree with rwagoner to a point. Some of these "luxury" brand are no more than copies of cheaper autos at a much higher price. If I'm not mistaken (this time) isn't Toyota coming out with a similar model to your Lexus? Good luck with yours...
  • Options
    Ryan,

In winter, I use drive thru washes. Contrary to belief, the better ones do just fine. You have to spend $7-12 for one..but who cares. Last summer/fall I washed it by hand all the time. Winter - drive thrus. This spring/summer...mostly hand wash...but a couple drive thrus. I hate to wash it. When you get a house,chick,and have less time...you will understand. I got better things to do with 3 hours.

Leavy,
    perhaps you didn't read why I was using ramps?...and the ones I have are not the $19.99 ones at K-mart. These puppys are heavy.

Yesterday I saw a Sunset Gold 2001 HD Silverado. While I can just hear all the non-Chevy fans crying now that it looks the same.....I noticed it right away. Looks good in person. Next one will be an HD in Sunset Orange...6.0 though...I don't need a Duramax or an 8.1.

- Tim
  • Options
    could it be that I am imagining the location of the latches? That it appears to be moving upwards each time they changed the windows? I know my originals were lower. Unless these newer ones were installed upside down. ;)

Checked the service invoice says sublet work remove/replace rear quarter windows. Replacement part- updated windows. Hmm...these guys don't like to write the part numbers...kinda hard to check if it really is updated windows.

Bottom line- the latches remain cheap plastic.
  • Options
    yeah..I hear ya.
    You know you are old when your favorite albums are in the "bargain bin"...or in the "nice price" catagory...or even worse...."oldies" section.

I was heavy metal/rock only. I have opened up some...even allow the Beatles to be listened to.
    But Country is not my ball of wax. Every song sounds the same to me. I'm sure every rock song sounds the same to country fans as well?....so it's all relative....

You can say "I will never change".....but you will..trust me..

At the Marina last night we listened to everything from hendrix to SRV to Zappa to Buffet!..(YIKES)

...I had to turn that off eventually....that crap just eats my skin away!

Gotta roll

Ryan must be chasing some right now??

- Tim
  • Options
    rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    I've seen many posts asking about liner fade, especially on non-black liners. When I installed an auxiliary gas tank, I had to cut several holes thru the bed, so I put these cutouts outside in the Texas sun for the last 5 months. Since my liner is protected by a bed cover most of the time, I have a side-by side comparison. The picture is at www.picturetrail.com/dayle1 and called "Liner fade test". It shows the cutout vs. the tailgate.

I also just used Zaino for the first time today and there is a picture labeled "Zaino 2 coats". My reflection is visible in the drivers door. This stuff was easy to use. I want to add several more coats and then see how it holds up.
  • Options
    2000bill2000bill Member Posts: 15
    Nice looking rig. What length and weight is your fifth wheel? Have you made any powertrain modifications? 5.3 with 3.73 gears? How does it tow?
  • Options
    Nah i was out hauling wood and stuff for a new deck today. Truck loves to haul. I gotta go to work soon to it sucks.

Tim a person can listen to country and other music too. I listen to it all country alternative rock rap (not huge fan but depends on my mood like if im pissed).

What was that im chasing some? The girl today? No she has a softball tourney kinda far away and i gotta work this afternoon. I dont need to chase anymore

Ryan
  • Options
    rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I remember asking my salesperson why all the regular cab pickups were all base models with very few options. His response was that almost all of the regular cabs were to be used as either construction, delivery or farm trucks and the customers were not interested in paying for options they didn't need.
    rcoos
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    The 99/00 and newer Silverado and GMC ABS system uses what they call Dynamic Rear Proportioning. If you look you will not find a Combination Valve(funny block with wire going to it after the master cylinder). The ABS is used if there is a need. In days gone bye when drum/drum systems were normal, the proportioning was handled by the size of the shoes and wheel cylinders. Larger on the front than the back. 4 wheel disc on our trucks are like that as well, however to prevent lock-up with the bed empty, the ABS goes into DRP and we get the bumps and vibration to let us know it is working. They mounted the modulator under the seat on the inside of the frame rail instead of up in the engine compartment as on earlier trucks.
  • Options
    cwk1cwk1 Member Posts: 4
    I didn't have time to go to dealer. so, I bought a roll of 3/8" x 3/8" weatherstrip from auto parts place.. Installed it to the PAINTED surface inside the rear window recesses. Absolutely no wind noise now.
  • Options
    bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    Anybody else out there like to carry a pistol under their front seat? I have for years, yet with these buckets and power seats, there's too damn much hardware under there to find a decent place to put it. I might have to go to a slingshot.

TIM: Yeah, I'm definately mellowing out. Sometimes I will even find myself listening to some of the 24 hour news and talk shows.

Obyone: I agree. These cheap plastic latches are a real pain. Definately one of these things that probably looked great on paper yet ain't for s*** on the road!

clay
  • Options
    gk3gk3 Member Posts: 13
    I am considering purchasing a new 2000 Silverado LS, 3-door X-Cab, 4x4, 5.3L, with the off-road Z-71 package. Any input with your experiences would be appreciated. Any particular options, that you would recommend getting or avoiding? What kind of city/hwy mileage should one expect, when no towing or extra load is involved?
    Does the Z-71 package have a very stiff suspension, to create a rough ride? Is it a quiet truck on slow or fast speeds, when equipped with the 5.3L engine? Based on your experiences so far, has it been mostly a trouble-free and reliable truck, you are satisfied with? Thanks!
  • Options
    Not very rough to me. Smoother than a 92 2wd S-10. Go test drive for yourself and you will see. The truck is very quiet all i hear is the radio

Ryan
  • Options
    dependable...yes
    reliable...yes
    mileage...15 city...18 hwy
    z-71 stiff...yes, although pretty good off road
    Quiet...low speed.depending on tires high speed
    trouble free...depends on how anal (picky) you are
    satisfied....almost (I'm kinda anal)

Now, a question for you...why three door and not four?

bassamatic

I used to leave a S&W .357 4" in the middle compartment...until my daughter started riding in the truck. Now everything is locked up, even the slingshot. Still got my blowgun in the truck...came with my Big Gulp from Seven Eleven...
  • Options
    They make 3 doors ? haha i seen alot of em today you can tell who has a "newer" or "older" truck

Ryan
  • Options
    Hush, Tim has 3 doors, 4 if you count the tailgate...Hmm...then again so do I. Can't figure out why someone would want three...unless of course it's the price...but then only a couple of hundred so why not take the four...

Add anything new to the truck? Finally got my rear Catch All's from carparts.com. Took about three weeks. Bought the fronts at 25% off on ebay.

And why are you posting so late on a Saturday night...hmm
  • Options
    jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    I just came home from a 7300mi trip to the west coast. While driving slowly, on some very poor roads, I heard some sort of rattling noise, comming from the rear end. Since I needed an oil change anyway, I took it to a dealer in CA. and had him check out the noise. After driving the truck he said it was leaf spring slap. He said I must have just the right amount of payload in the box to cause the leaf spring sections to slap together on small sharp bumps. Does anyone else have that noise? It almost sounds hollow, like tailpipes or driveshaft.
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    rebates on the 3 doors to try to get them off the lot. I imagine you could get a very good deal on a 3 door, if you don't need the 4th. Maybe it's different around your neck of the woods?..
  • Options
    jimbo99jimbo99 Member Posts: 4
    I have the rattle that you described on my 2000 ext cab long bed. When I had a load of sheetrock in the back I could hear it on every little bump. When I am empty I only hear it every once in a while on larger bumps. It has been driving me crazy trying to find out what was rattling on this truck. I have one bump on the way home from work that makes the rattle every time so I now go home a different way. Thanks for posting so that I now know where the noise is coming from. BTW, is there anyway to stop leaf spring slap? SeeYa

Jimbo
  • Options
    There were no 4 doors in Aug 99 when I got mine. 2500's came even later than 1500 for 4 doors. I wasn't going to wait any more. While yawl were drooling over your future 4 doors...and not driving a new Silverado..i was enjoying mine!
    LOL
    Ryan..so you have seen 3 doors around eh?.....tell me...how can you tell a 3 door from a 4 door while driving down the road?

(this should be good)

- Tim
  • Options
    dealers should have a fix as is a common problem. I believe that they have either a rubber sleeve or washer that goes in between the springs. Must be getting old...just can't remember the exact fix... ;)
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing... how could he tell. Silverado's don't have the four handles like the Tundra's.
  • Options
    just make sure you test drive the one that you want... especially around 60-65 mph on the freeway. Just to be sure.
  • Options
    ..I was hoping to have ryan pipe in before anyone else....there is a way to tell....but I'd rather watch the road...

doors will make no bit of difference for my buyers. Sure, we would like to have 4 doors..but the used 2500 market here is farr less to choose from than Z71 1500's..especially LT 2500's. I will have no problem.

Then..when I have 4 doors...you all be crying your 00/01's have less power and don't have possibly on-star and traction control..(or whatever they come out with)...LOL

The old leap frog game...usually between differnt brands though.....of course the Tundra can't play the leap frog game....it's too short to leap the frog in front of it!!

hehehhee

- Tim

- Tim
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    always easy to spot even going in the opposite
    direction. however i don't spend my time looking
    at other silverados as they go by. i'm perfectly
    happy with the one i'm driving. although i have
    one problem and i consider it to be minor, my
    dealer (who has given me the run around twice)
    has the BBB to worry about. boy, all the free
    stuff that has been directed my way since
    contacting the BBB, it's GREAT!!! the BBB is like

the IRS to a dealer. thanks obyone who suggested
    it in the first place. it's also great that our
    resident expert (and this title only belongs to
    OBYONE) is always polite with his replys.

three cheers for OBYONE.

...red
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    not hard to pick out that rear seam on the driver's side. course, if you're on the pass. side of the truck...no way to tell.

not one to say "i told you so" usually, but i distinctly remember saying, "if you want a 3-door just wait till 6 months after the 4-doors come out. dealers will be trying to GIVE them away." i hear ya tim - you wanted it NOW and i don't blame you. fortunately, when just 3-doors were available, my finances were NOT. i got my order in at the right time...that is, just before 4-door production began. i got one of the first ones out and have loved owning and driving it for 5 months now. can't say it enough...damn! these are nice trucks!

kyle
  • Options
    I could tell because i was in the fast lane and they were in the slow lane. HMMM I could se the drivers side clear as day. Its very obvious.
    Sorry i couldnt post earlier but i had to work and i have a game tonight.

4 dr vs 3 dr

I personally am very happy i got a four door instead of a three. It comes in very useful get out of my truck at work pull my boots and lunch and bag out of the same side instead of walking all the way around. Its nice that the 3dr has a rebate and if you dont need the 4 drs definitly go with it. SHoot save a few grand.

Ryan
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    for boots and lunch. that ought to make GM real
    proud. and i thought it was to make entering and
    leaving for passengers easier. boy, i'm gonna get
    the tools and rip out that useless back seat out
    right now. gonna take my tool box outa the bed
    and put it back there behind the drivers seat.
    finally now, i know what the 4th door is for.
    thanx ryan.

...red
This discussion has been closed.