Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XII

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    IF YOUR OUT THERE GET ON UR GITTY UP and start cranking out these damn filters we all need em dont you wanna make $$$???

Ryan
  • btenvybtenvy Member Posts: 43
    Got mine at checker, M1 #206 about $10.

-Jarvus
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    it's hard to get them....every 5 miles or less there is an Autozone/murrays/pepboys/Walmart/etc..that all have plenty here.

About $3-4

- Tim
    2 autozones out
    1 van senus (local place doesnt sell em)
    1 highland autoparts (out of em local place)
    2 walmarts out
    2 kmarts out

a total of 8 places and 0 filters

Im gonna try a chevy dealer i emailed my dealer and he might send me a few on the house if he can get em WOOHOO!!!

Ryan
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    same here man. i had to go to 3 different walmarts the first time i bought one. second change none of them had one. so tried napa, pep boys, autozone and advance auto before paying a ridiculous $5 for one. when i got the first one at walmart, it was like $2.89. think i just may pick up 6-10 the next time i go by the dealership. think a dealership would cut me a price if i bought by case? prob'ly not...

kyle
    fellas -
    in the accessories conference i started a topic called hands free cell phone installation. it's topic #498.

anyone have any info on doing hands free cell phone installs? my wife's new jimmy has what i can only assume is a cell phone mic installed in the headliner above the passenger door. figure if it's already there, a good bit of the pain in the [non-permissible content removed] work is already done. just want to finish the job, but don't know how. anyone got any ideas/info/links???

thanks
    kyle
  • kablotskykablotsky Member Posts: 14
    tex6, the drain plug has a magnetic tip to pick up ferrous particles in the oil pan. i suggest cleaning off any little metal whiskers with a paper towel and blast of compressed air before putting it back in.
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    TIM: I wanna see pics of that HO too! Great car, I've always liked 'em. Six grand for a paint job? Good for you! you can never spend too much on a classic car. I had a '67 Firebird 400 Convertible (all stock) that I showed for many years. Had to sell her when we moved to the midwest but it was a great car. Funny thing, I took second place in the 1994 Muscle Car show at the Expo in Portland, Oregon...losing out to an '83 Hurst Olds!! I didn't mind, it was a black one that was a ground up restoration, trailered only car. A real beauty!

clay
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    nm
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    thanks for the info. you mentioned 1/3 off
    coupons, but have to sign up for them. 'a how u'
    do dat?

ryan, betcha wish you'd listened to tim and all
    the others and thought about changing oil back
    when the engine was'nt in the grinding mode that
    it's in now huh? heck who knows, all those metal
    chips are probably ground into a fine paste that
    could be called breakin compound. i remember some
    guy posting that GM doesn't recomend changing oil
    for at least 1,500 mi. anyway because of some
    kinda compound that's in the oil. maybe the
    ground up flakes that are in your engine are what
    he's talking about. it's in the maintenence forum
    under new vehicle breakin.

...red
    This isn't a restoration...all original except for the new paint..(as I said I polished the original till it was gone!)...Not a trailer queen...although it is not a daily driver or a sit outsider either.

$6K was steep...but this guy was good.

Back to Silverados

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If I remember correctly, you had to sign up for edmunds newsletter. Funny thing, I don't see the link to carparts.com anymore. used to be on the left...looks like it got replaced with edmunds.com shopping service...Hmm
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    about CarParts 1/3 off coupons, they are in many car magazines(HotRod July, 2000; Autoweek May 29,2000) and I think there are more out there. Edelbrock IAS also has a $27 refund, which you might be able to use, if that's what you are looking for.
  • obiggsobiggs Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2k sierra and the a/c turns on in the
    recurculate mode, get this SOMETIMES. I can't find
    anything in the owners manual about this. The a/c
    light is not on??????? Help !!any info
    I know I went against the popular crowd and bought a BugDeflector II. Just wondering anyone have problems lining up the holes with the ones on the hood? Mine is screwed up or I am not doing something right because no matter how I try to install it 2 holes will not line up.

Again sorry for even bring this up.

-Jarvus
    bringing, not bring
    I ordered a bugDeflector to get the color match, both that they sent me some (being nice) person stuck their finger in the paint before it was completely dry. My advice DON'T order one from them.

-Jarvus
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    my A/C also does this intermittingly. Don't know why. I also wish when you turned the fan switch to OFF, it's was off. Why do they still blow air?? OFF is just real low, but picks up with engine speed - hmmm...
  • denn777denn777 Member Posts: 52
    I'm getting ready to order (again, another story) a 2001 Silverado tomorrow. Here is what I'm ordering - if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations I'd appreciate having them-

Silverado 4X4 143.5 wheelbase
    Vortex 5300 v8 LM7
    Auto 4 sp overdrive M30
    Autotrac active trans case NP8
    Z71 package Z71
    Locking Diff G80
    Trailering equip. Z82
    Caste alum wheels PF9
    P265/75R 16 all ter WOL QGD
    Bucket seats A95
    Power seats AG2
    AM/FM/CD UP0
    Solor ray deep tinted rear glass AJ1
    Front foglamps T96
    Two tone paints (black/pewter) ZY2

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. Denny

ps - don't particularly like leather seats, or flares on this truck (they have to be pewter).
    Its an ext cab if that wasn't clear. Denny
    No flares?
    to obyone and tucsonjwt for the info. if i save
    enough ching ching, i'll be able to get that
    generation II you want me to buy oby.

...red
    i don't know... yep, i'm sure of it now. denn777
    for some reason sounds alot like ryan. i do
    believe that's what we're seeing here. ryan's
    finally going to order the truck he's been
    dreaming about and he's gonna rub the 2001 factor
    in just to make a point.
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Ryan, Will surprise me if that dealer sends you one or more filters at no charge. Both Advance Auto Parts (owned by Sears, I believe) and AutoZone have them here for $2.99. Probably half the price of what you will pay a dealer, if you have to purchase from the dealer. None available here at Walmart and KMart stores. I would think that most any serious auto parts store would also carry them, but at a little higher price than AutoZone, etc.

Do not remove the dip stick or remove the oil cap on top of the engine until after you have removed the drain plug. That procedure will slow the initial flow of hot oil just a bit. Makes it a little easier to catch the hot oil in the pan with a little less mess. While the oil is draining, remove the dip stick and the oil cap. Remember those 11 grease zerks! Good Luck, Bob.
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Good info provided by you on post #237. Bob
    Based on your experience, does the oil drain better cold or hot. In other words, if you drain after vehicle has sat overnight, does that make any difference?
    .....but not too hot to where it may burn ya!

Although hot is good....just the damn exhaust and everything else is hot also!

- Tim
    nm
    oil filters were sent out to everyone that bought

a new truck in May of this year as an incentive
    program for routine maintenance startup that
    included free oil filters at each oil change
    until warranty ends. Clovis dealer takes care of
    it's own though, you had to buy from them. no big

deal, but a nice way to thank their customers.

Ryan, if your dealer said they would give you a
    couple of filters, then i'd bet good money that
    they will. especially the way they took care of
    you in the first place.

...red
    Like said here...the damn oil shoots out like a rocket at first!

So if it's hot...watch the hell out...

Good luck

- Tim
  • odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    Bassamatic said:
    <<The resonance everyone seems to be complaining about occurs at freeway speeds...a sort of "droning" sound>>
    I had asked about this awhile back and nobody replied. This noise has been driving me crazy for quite some time now. I had several other people ride with me (including the service manager)that stated they couldn't hear anything peculiar although the sound seems to be most noticable from the drivers seat only (seems to resonate off the drivers window) and at RPMs greater than 1500. I also test drove the salesman's demo rig last weekend and it had the same sound.
    I had read in a previous post about possible baffle problems in the stock mufflers. Anyone verified this?
    So, how does one resolve this noise? Are you having any luck with the after-market exhaust? I would like to keep it very quiet if possible. Thanks

Mark
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    Your options look pretty good to me.
    I was lucky to find a 00 Sierra without power seats,it was hard to find one.I never use them,and on the Jeep I had,the seatcover sometimes would move the seat forward,and shove me up against the wheel.I only saw two without power seats(ext cab).
    I wanted the flares,but I wish they would actually have been painted like some colors are(my truck's "onyx").I'm not a big two tone fan,but if you do go two tone,I wouldn't get the flares either.With the flares,it just looks odd with two tone paint.Just my opinion,get what you like.
    The factory stereo is "ok",but if I was ordering a truck,I'd delete it,and get a decent one put in.It will end up costing more,but will sure sound better.I'm still not sure if my complaints come from the speakers or the head unit.There's something I find annoying about listening to it for very long.I end up listening to talk radio!I never listened much before,when I had my 99 Grand Cherokee with the infinity stereo.I mostly listened to CDs.If you can,listen for an hour or so to the stereo in a truck at the dealers,before you order.There is just something not right about it.I'm probably gonna yank the front speakers out and change them soon,I gotta do something!
    I was lucky to find exactly the truck I was looking for,in a bunch of colors,it just was a matter of deciding what dealer(s)I wasn't going to hassle with.I had dealt with two of the service depts enough to cross them off my list.I ended up going to the closest one,and came pretty close to the price I was "supposed" to pay,and I liked the service in the past,for th emost part.
    Good luck..
    ever considered going to Midas or Meineke and having a resonator put on after the muffler. Would probably help on the droning. If you thing the stock muffler is bad...try a Gibson performance exhaust...supposedly the quietest...the quietest is too much for me at 15-1800 rpms. So add a resonator, may be just what you're looking for. Ask the Midas/Meineke people, this is one time they will know what they are doing. Good luck...

smfish

you can get a 2500 with the 5.3. Just check with the dealer...
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    2500 5.3L only in 2wd, if that's what you want great. You could also add a leaf to the suspension, add bigger spring, etc., so the truck could handle it better. Or better yet, get a one ton, crew cab dually with the Duramax Diesel. It's funny, I see a lot of them (not Chevy yet) around here that don't get worked. Talk about yuppies...
    Thanks for your thoughts on the options on the new truck. I guess I pretty much have the bases covered. Denny
  • blubulblubul Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to buy a new Silverado, and when I went to the dealership to trade in my 1995 GMC Sierra SL, Sportside, 5 spd, with 86K, he came back with a price of 4600.00 after all of the b.s deductions. The truck is in great shape, except for the A/C compressor which I understand needs to be fixed. I told him that was totally unacceptable, and we were at a stand still. He recommended that I bring my truck back to him Monday morning at which time he would have 13 wholesalers on the lot going through a sealed bid auction. He thought that would bring a greater price for my truck. Has anyone out there had any experience with this type of auction? Does anyone have a similar truck that they have sold recently? Can you give me an idea of what you got for it. I appreciate it. Have a great day.
    Go to http://www.kellybluebook.com

Look up used car prices put in what you have (options and such) and wahalla poof theres what your truck is worth.

Ryan
    This morning on the radio guess what kinda commerical i heard. An edmunds.com commercial. Advertising must really pay off.

Ryan
  • johnt9johnt9 Member Posts: 10
    wanting to buy a 1/2 silverado ext. cab. any reason to wait for 2001 other than shouldn't because of price increase? does anyone know what the price increase is? and whether any production line changes to solve any problems would be made?
    Does anyone out there have the factory tonneau cover? If so, how do do like it.

Did anyone not get it for a specific reason?

It looks (on paper) like a pretty good cover - folds up, locks, etc. Thanks. denny
    ryan's advice will work, but if i remember right...kelly tends to be fairly low in their quotes. you can also check here on edmunds, www.carwizard.com; and www.nada.com. there are others too, and some of the guys on here will pipe up with their favorites...tim? oby? red? quad? etc...

kyle
    Way to go your on the ball. maybe this will answer peoples many questions on mushy brakes.

Ryan
    i don't think they're related...but again, i'm not a mechanic. how's the filter hunt going???

kyle
    Well i went to autozones website and i found one pretty close and it shows its in stock hopefully it is.

Dealer is gonna send me 2 but it wont make it by saturday. They are $7 at his place they are $2.99 at autozone.

Ryan
  • storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    It sounds like you are referring to the folding hard tonneau cover since you said it locks. If so, it is actually a Fold-A-Cover. Go to http://www.foldacover.com for more info. You may be able to buy it form a local distibutor for cheaper than at a GM Dealer. I was thinking of buying one, but they aren't cheap. Will probably end up going with a soft cover instead.

Speaking of soft cover, does anyone have any opinions on the best one. How about snaps vs. snapless? Let me know.

Kevin
    Mine is made in Aug 99 and is a 00 model. It's HD though.
    I can only hope that some day the ABS will not work. I hate the damn things. Give me real brakes anyday. (I don't need any input on how ABS is so much better from the peanut gallery either).

Stops fine...and when stopped..if you push very hard and have long legs..you can easily mash it to the floor AFTER stopped. Does not do it while stopping. I don't believe this is related to above either though.

I took mine in yesterday for a driveline humm noise at about 53....been bugging the hell outa me. I got a real nice (being sarcastic) 97 Cavalier to drive. I asked her how many times do I have to stop per day at the pet store?....she didn't get it....so I told her...to feed the Hamster on the wheel under the hood!

Between gas (45 week), insurance (115MO) and payment (600MO)....I am paying $910 a month to drive a cavalier?....If it ain't back today...I will be carpooling...even though it's free...I don't like looking at bumpers. Not my ball of wax. I will pull the olds out!

- Tim
    TIM haha sorry for ur misfortune i know how u feel. On weekends when i drive my dads S-10 its so small. It sucks not having ur truck huh? I was without mine for 3 days (no loaner) when they were fixing my dent. Hope they fix it for you

Peanut gallery???

Ryan
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    If I understand right you are talking about resonance from the factory/stock muffler - not an aftermarket system. If this is true I don't know where to start. My truck was such a quite beast, I never heard anything - maybe a little roar if I was getting on it hard to pass someone or just having fun, but not just cruising down the road.

All I can say is that if the stock system is causing some resonance and problems be very careful if you go aftermarket - you want to stay away from Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Dynoman, Borla all the ones discussed here. No matter how quiet they are - they will still be louder than the stock, unless of course you've actually got a hole or its about to fall off.

Sorry I don't have any advice, mine was very quiet, I had other reasons for wanting to replace it - I wanted some sound and I wanted a little performance gain. Good luck with the dealer.

Greg
  • 750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    Wanted to order the Factory Tonneau Cover
    but Dealer wouldn't. They cited noise, loose
    fit, etc. Talked to two
    other dealers and neither has had one come in
    yet. Hard to believe that bad. Ended up
    going after market paint matched fiberglass which really limits what put in back. If could do again
    would go with Roll-n-Loc.
  • rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    Post #365 is correct about the factory cover being a fold-a-cover. You can see pics of mine at www.picturetrail.com/dayle1 This is the second one that I have owned. I used the old one for many years and was happy with it, so I have to disagree with the dealer comments in post #369.

Cost from fold-a-cover is maybe $100 less than the Roll-n-Loc if you install yourself (which I have done both times). Price difference is probably greater if you have someone else do the work.

Both are good covers, just depends on how you will use it.

Larry
This discussion has been closed.