Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XII

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    dashcovers...my opinion...good for dash...bad for a/c evaporator.

werking
    since cable modems are really taking off, my provider is constantly upgrading. Most of the work is done between 2am-5am. Sometimes, that is when I'll need to access and it will either be offline or very slow. So to check my email or my ebay bids, I'll use the free 56k connection. This doesn't happen very often but it does happen. Also with cable there is no signing on or off, when my computer boots, I have it set so that by the time I return with my coffee, I'm at the edmunds site. One downside, you'll need to get some form of intruder protection since you are online 100% of the time. I estimate at least two to three hits a week from intruders whether it's just a ping or an actual attack I can't tell cause the software let's me know, disables the port, and track the id of the intruder. I stopped tracking the intruders cause they will use another persons site to launch their attack making it very difficult to find them.

Sorry about the off topic postings...cable, while fast, does have it's downside too.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...I thought if the puter was off all was safe?

E-mail me at mgdvhman@home.com so not to pollute the topic here..

- Tim
  • jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    I changed my oil at 1000mi and again at 4000mi. The truck has 8400 on it now, just back from vacation. I'll be putting in M1 this time,probably this week. I'll use the oil minder light from here on (with the M1 oil).
    Using HIGH on the fan won't hurt a thing, except possibly wear out the brushes in the motor a bit faster. I smoke, so I use HIGH all the time, unless it is very hot out, then I use #3 to get the best preformance out of it.
  • 750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    First time figured must have hit the remote
    by mistake. This afternoon went to get mail
    out of truck in garage and its locked. Its
    starting to lock itself --- anyone else
    experience this!!!

In 9 months this is the first event.
    Since trading BMW for a Vette last month
    truck is on road everyday now and 4000
    plus miles, 1000 this last month. Before
    2001 car arrives Truck will have another
    4000+ mile after a trip so this locking deal
    has got me wondering.

last couple of days drove a loaner from the
    Lincoln dealer while my folks car was being
    serviced, figured put the miles on it.
    They didn't want to drive it.
    Well it was torture. A 2000 Toyota Camry
    4 banger. My trucks got a much better ride
    than that can. Once lit a fire under the
    rice burner it was OK but lose your momentum.
    Maybe that's why they come flying up behind and
    whip around, the driver doesn't want to start
    pedaling again. For same price take my truck.

Just noticed when car comes in will have 3
    Chevys in the garage (2trucks now), won't
    be many message board to follow.
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    750Hill - Maybe the Vette is teaching the truck a few things while in the garage together. The Vette locks and unlocks itself when it senses the KeyFob, the truck is trying to do the same thing. Honestly - Mine hasn't done it and I haven't heard of it.

Off topic on the Net. For Protection - try BlackIce. Rated one of the best and downloadable/purchaseable right over the net. One word about cable modems- it is true you may outperform DSL if there aren't many people in your area on the service, but if a lot of people join in your area, your service will degrade, with DSL your connection is all yours all the way back to the phone company CO. Same speed all the time. I'm actually just jealous - Right in the middle of North Dallas and I can't get either - its a bummer.

AC - The AC will cycle on in the winter when using the defroster. Been that way for years unless something changed with the new trucks - I haven't had the chance to check mine out, but the AC cycles on with the defroster to pull humidity out of the air - the light on the dash does not cycle on - so you never know it unless you're listening for it or raise the hood and watch the compressor kick in.

GMC - GMC has been talking for the last couple of years about going a little more upscale - hence the Denali - and now possibly the C series truck if it is produced later this year.

Colors - GMC and Chevy both have some special - pretty bright colors listed in the computer when you're special ordering a vehicle. But they come up as unavailable every time I've looked or asked the dealer. You see them occasionally on the road though so GM must reserve them for special runs or special production vehicles.

I've rambled enough. Got to get up early anyway - going to get the new exhaust in the morning.

Greg
  • btenvybtenvy Member Posts: 43
    How soon should you replace the domestic oil with synthetic. I changed mine @ 700 miles and put in M1 synthetic. Is this too soon, or does it really matter?

-Jarvus
    I waited until about that..but put in conventional oil..then about 3K put in M1.

Some say wait for the rings to seat...some say the rings won't eat until 40K miles...and then some cars have M1 stock!...so who knows..

I'd say wait a few K..but who am I?

- Tim
    ..Make that SEAT!

- Tim
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    750hill- You can program in four different lock and unlock modes for your rig. Check the manual, but be real sure you have the key set to exactly the correct position when doing this or it won't take. I found the auto lock at 15 mph to be annoying (always had to reach up and unlock the rig if the key was left in the ignition) so I changed mine to lock and unlock only upon command.
    Works great! You might try re-programming yours to see if it solves your problem. Also, the driver side should never lock when the key is in the ignition.

Obyone-So what do you like to bid on in eBay? Great site--I've bought and sold lots of stuff there.

Swobig--your right about the 325 cubes, never was much good with metric conversions.

Gnipper--So how you like that Magnaflow??

clay
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    who are you, you ask? why you're "LURD" or did
    you forget? ha ha LOL

on the oil thing , the guys out here think that
    when gas mileage averages out to it's best that
    you can consider the rings fairly well seated in.
    hmmm what do you think? it seems that there is
    alot of opinions on this. and like you said, some
    cars come with synthetic.

check this out, my dealers service department
    scheduled my truck in for a new steering shaft to
    get rid of the looseness that seems to show up in
    some of the trucks (not all of them have it).
    then after 3 days of driving a ford windstar
    (rental) they call me and tell me that the truck
    that they were going to cannibalize (not sure i
    spelled that right) is not going to solve the
    problem. what? you ever heard of such a thing?
    they were going to swap parts off of a new truck
    for mine and put the other one back on the lot
    for some other poor shmuck. is that the most cold
    blooded thing you've ever heard of? anyway, i
    don't feel that it is that much of a problem but,
    for anyone having problems with steering shaft
    play or rack & pinion hissing, the dealer told me
    that chevy is working on updated parts. now
    that's just fine but, after hearing that chevy
    sometimes authorizes part swapping, i'll never
    buy off the lot.

...red
    my dealer "michael chevrolet" does bend backwards
    to make you a good deal, (probably because half
    the trucks are rebuilts anyway) but whoever reads
    this, "beware of their service department"...
    shop foreman can't see or hear. had to go to a
    general tire dealer to verify that the tires are
    wearing out prematurely.
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    anybody put one of these in? Tried to but got the wrong part. Just wondering if this will affect mileage, power, etc. The Hypertech manual says to put one in, but I'm not sure - besides I can't seem to find one...
  • chancellorchancellor Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 2000 4wd with about 3000 mi. since driving it off the lot the brakes havent felt right. it actually stops well and the anti lock works normal when you step on it but ive never driven a vehicle that had so much petal travel. If you put it in park, and start pushing you first feel slight resistance it increases somewhat as you aproach the floor. it finally stops about 1in. from the floor. total travel about 4 inches. the whole thing can best be described as "mushy". i left it at the dealer the other day and they said it was normal. can any of you all tell me if this is normal on your trucks? Rich
    Ditto on mine...sure imparts a great amount of security doesn't it?

swobig

get the 160 degree thermostat...makes a difference when tuned for it. Theory is cooler=more power.

bassamatic

Usually look for things that I need but am not in a rush for like a wood grain kit for the truck and polished stainless steel license plate frames. Funny, I think the plate frames will outlast the bumper...hell even the truck...
  • firemenfiremen Member Posts: 2
    I have had it happen a couple of times in my garage. I think I have figured out that the remote lock button accidentally gets pushed when in my pocket by just moving around.

Any experience with drive shaft noise? On my 99' Silverado, I have an "urch" sound when I start up from a stop. After checking for brake and suspension problems and finding none, my dealer has ordered a new drive shaft. He says he's replace about 6 of them so far for the same problem. He says they are filled with cardboard which is slipping internally causing the noise. Sound familiar???
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    new one one me - never heard of that before. Just how can it slip? Filled with cardboard? What would that matter? I'm confused...
    Chevy technology which was inspired by the Wizard of Oz...of course the tinman helped too...

firemen

don't always believe what the dealer tells you. Prior to going in for driveshaft replacement, you may want to get a file and notch somewhere on the driveshaft, not too deep and not too noticeable, just enough for you to check if they indeed changed your driveshaft. AND, if they didn't the service manager has some serious explaining to do. Cardboard shifting...that really is a new one.
    Does anyone know if the new 2wd Silverado's are coming out with front stabilizer bars... heard rumors about it that Chevy is now producing the new trucks with them while the older ones didn't. Quietly fixing another problem...
    This time keys were in the kitchen, no one
    around. So called dealer. They are surprised
    its a new one on them too.

Seem to think it might be in the fuses,
    so to bring in the truck. Forgot about
    another situation where open door and have no
    interior lights, can shut/reopen they come on?
    Probably a connection.

This coming week is full so will try to get
    in the following. Unless locks me out and they have to tow!!

On the car traded one day at Mall, key fob
    would not signal, had to use key and disarm
    manually. They said what had been happening
    with BMW was a similar frequency triggered
    the system and caused a lock up. Was lucky
    manual work, most have been stranded.
    A few months back I took my truck in because I also thought the brake pedal travel was way to far. Service Mgr. agreed with me, but when we jumped in a brand new one on the lot, it felt exactly the same. Same story with a new truck next to that one. Doesn't feel right, but it's normal.

Swobig: I agree with the 160 degree thermostat, it'll cool your engine quicker which should help horsepower. It's a good idea and next time I am at the dealers, I'll pick one up. Probably a dealer only item as it's going to have to fit that funny cooling tank.

Speaking of that funny plastic cooling tank, whats the story with this DEX-COOL? My local auto parts store sells a dex-cool substitute made by Prestone for $12 bucks or so. The manual says that the use of any coolant other than Dex-Cool will void your warranty!! The manual also says that it should last about three years so I guess we all have a ways to go on this. Anyone have any experience with this?

clay
    Sorry, I was talking about the pressure cap not the thermostat!! It's late and I'm sleepy.

clay
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    If you leave the door open long enough, the lights go out to save the battery. It wasn't this condition, was it?

DSL/Cable: A well designed cable line is far superior speed-wise. Generally when it slows down to its minimum, it is still as fast as DSL. And while DSL is not shared locally, it IS shared at the phone company. So many DSL users in a certain geographic area WILL slow down. You just don't notice it as much since DSL is so much slower than cable to begin with (my cable is usually in T2 speed ranges and has never gone below T1, regular DSL is only 512k speeds).

Turn off file sharing and/or build a firewall to protect yourself. Macs have file sharing off by default; I do not know if Windows does the same.

Richard
    it's pretty sad that a guy has to mark parts that
    are suppose to be replaced don't you think? what
    happened to the good 'ol days when a consumer
    could depend on the american manufacturer to take
    care of their product in the proper fashion.

on the stabilizer bar though, my truck has one.
    could you clarify? i'm considering a 2001 or 2002
    and i might as well get my new shopping list
    started right now. not in the mood for any of
    GM's supprises.

thanx,
    red
    Have double checked door ajar, dome override.

Usually notice in the morning when get ready
    to leave.
    no real pattern figured out yet. Thought
    maybe the switch was stuck than released
    after a couple of door movements. It may
    be doing it during the day but don't notice.
    Since garage has no windows has
    caught my attention.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Mom drove my truck yesterday she was scared the truck wasnt gonna stop. I told her thats normal. Im taking mine in soon for a rattle around the instrument cluster its starting to drive me nuts.

ABout the sierra hot truck.

1/2 ton reg cab base model with chrome front and rear. 4.8 L V-8 sportside. Colors: yellow green and a bright blue. Only options: auto trans, air, Z85, 16 in WOL tires

Ryan
    ..it's the steering shaft ace....unless you have a new problem?

I notice when already stopped....I can mush the pedal all the way down with ease...don't really notice excessive travel when stopping?

- Tim
    i also had the same buzzing or rattle like you
    have. it's not the steering shaft though. GM
    knows about this rattle coming from the area
    around the instrument cluster and has a fix for
    it. mine was done at the dealership i know go to
    here in Clovis. they have a shop foreman that can
    see and hear things that i've not even
    discovered. i'll be buying my next truck from
    them good deal or not. sometimes good service
    outwieghs saving a couple of bucks. good luck on
    your problem, though i'm sure that your dealer
    will already know what they need to do to get rid
    of the little bug that has crawled into your
    beast.

...red
    i've had not one single problem with my brakes.
    pedal travels about 1.5 inches, and see no need
    to try to force it to floor. why on earth would
    anyone do something so anal as that?

...red
    I had an email from a guy that use to pop in now and then at edmunds. He had told me that between the front tire well and the front door, that GM is now installing a front stabilizer bar to eliminate body flex when going over large bumps, like speed bumps. He said that the older models did not have this and would cause excessive body flex and that this body flex was the root of why some of us suffer from excessive feathering of the tires. His brother works for GM and had notified him of this "fix" that GM is now implementing on the newer trucks. I think it might also be related to the new "fourth" door.

marking parts

When the service manager tells someone that a noise is caused by cardboard, I would trust him as far as I could throw Rosanne Barr...
    My noise is from the trim around the instrument cluster. When i put my hand on the side closest to the autotrac it goes away something is loose. I know where its coming from. Dont tell me my steering shaft needs to be replaced thats not where the noise is i know the exact location. Kinda wierd but going to my bball game tonight (50 mls) i didnt hear the noise once.

Ryan
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    I'm not quite sure of your posting on the stabilizer bar. Are you saying that a front stabilizer bar has been added to 00 1500s with the fourth door or just to the 2001 models? Bob
    What color of Line-X spray-in liner did you get. Any trouble with fading? Bob
    Thanks for all the good info that you provided on posting #65. Bob
    I am thinking about adding floor mats. How do you like the Husky floor liners? Do they stay in place and cover the carpet (front and rear on ext. cab.)? Bob
    Missed the Kennedy exit since I was on I90, but passed two others for your city. Plennty of time to think while driving almost 800 miles. Thought about you and that DQ. Bob
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Hi Ryan,

I think it's a mistake not to order the rear defroster & heated mirrors (standard on the LT) LS extented cab models. The cab is so large that it's bound to steam up inside for a while until the air gets moving around.

I would much rather have this two items then the sliding rear window (ok on a regular cab) but much more useful in the extented cabs.
    rcoos
    I havent had a need for it yet and trust me the weather has been very wierd. Cold rainy hot muggy. It was kinda a joke about it cause they were talking about me steaming up my windows well u know how use your imagination. I never even thought about getting those options. I have yet to really see an LS with it around here. I dont think they make to many of em.

Bob hmmmm DQ sounds good im hitting the road.

Dogg put a nice small long scratch on the side of my truck today he jumped up on it damn dogg.

Ryan
    dear RYAN, did you miss something in my post?
    your noise is coming exactly where mine was
    coming from or did you miss that? again GM has an
    insulator to eliminate the noise which yes, is
    one that comes and goes. temperature can make it
    come and go as you are experiencing.

Obyone, thanks for the input. obviously the bar
    is going to be on the '01 and so on. guess i'll
    wait for the '02. by then GM might have all bugs
    worked out. BTW what's the progress on your
    truck. also, it seems to me that your the only
    one here that really knows what you're talking
    about. the K&N air filter works great. actually
    saw a little bit better gas mileage, thanks. now
    it's time for shocks.

thanx,
    red
    I was referring to the people who were diagnoising my problem otherwise

Ryan
    yeah, i know what you mean. there's always a know
    it all, no matter where you go. no what i mean?
    oh yeah, you work at Menards, of course you know
    what i mean. ha ha

Obyone is probably the only guy here that
    actually knows the right answers. he also does'nt
    take things so seriously. sorta evenkeel type of
    a guy.

...red
    The guy wasn't clear on when the bar was to be added. I just figured I'd ask if anyone has it, if not then probably '01 models.

red

for the record, Tuesday, June 20 will make exactly three weeks that the dealer has had my truck. They tracked the vibration with the EVA2 to my passenger front tire. For the past week, they have not worked on the truck. They are trying to figure out who is responsible for fixing the tire since they are not stock but Michelins. The story goes like this...service advisor says its dealer's responsibility since they sold me the tires through a GM authorized trade. Even though they sold it to me at cost, we also used Goodyear (dealer's choice) to mount and balance the tires, which the dealer paid for with GM approval. BUT, the shop foreman is saying that I am responsible because I wanted the Michelins. Service advisor counters by saying that the front tire is probably damaged cause their subcontractor (Goodyear) left a balancing weight in the tire and I drove about 150 miles with that thing bouncing around in the tire. So this goes back and forth, meanwhile my truck sits. They are also discussing what to do about my rear quarter windows as they have changed them out I think three times and all with the same results. Meanwhile I have logged a couple of thousand miles on my rental '00 Silverado with no vibrations and enjoying every minute except that it has the 4.8 and is pewter colored. Now if it was carmine...bottom line, got to look at the positive which is 2000 miles on a rental instead of my truck which will probably extend my warranty by at least that much. I am also pursuing getting another 3/36 warranty added on to 3/36 from GM. That's another story. Other than that I hopefully will get this resolved by the end of this week. BTW, the shop foreman used to be the Service Manager, just couldn't take the stress. The new Service Manager and the General Manager have kind of stayed clear of this one, preferring the shop foreman and service advisor to work it out.

Gee, I thought my Rosanne Barr comment would illicit some kind of response ;)
    man.... i do believe you're a level headed guy
    but, with all that has gone on with your truck
    and all i would be mad enough to through Roseanne
    at least a mile or so. hope she's filled with
    cardboard though. LOL

...red
    getting a kick out of this...in a way at least life's not boring...BTW, '00 Denali goes into the shop for third time for same vibrations on Tuesday...and its the old C/K style frame but with those POS Firestone P265/75R16 and el cheapo Bilstein shocks (not same as aftermarket)....just trying to get some new Michelins put on...
    .I was stopped at a light..and for some reason I decided to push the pedal....and it kept going!

Oh well....stops fine...just mushy after you have stopped..

GRRRRRR

- Tim
    How do you measure in terms of feet when calibrating your odometer? If you are driving at any rate of speed over say 25 mph, when the odometer clicks to complete the mile, you could have traveled at least 30 feet before you could stop and measure. Unless you were traveling at a very low speed to coordinate the stop with the last click of the odometer. Just curious.

For myself, I chose the extended warranty plan. Larger tires=lower mileage and extended warranty. Just gotta watch the speedo and not get caught by smokey.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    swobig # 86, Not soft, just smart. # 98, Isuzu is owned by GM, so I don't think so.

mgdvhman #88, don't hunt, # 89, 16K miles, $25K.

rwagoner #93, leave the library immediately and go to your mobile home!!! #103, not quiet?? 66 db at 65 mph compared to a Silverado at 90db!! Quess you need to get your hearing checked. Might be those semi's passing to close to your mobile home is starting to affect your hearing!! Insulate that side of your mobile and that should help.

gnipper #101, there is a waiting list for the LS430 and I'm sure that means full sticker price.

ryanbab, your on your own now, you've been the best internet son a man could ever have (tear drop just hit the keyboard).

Again, good luck to y'all on your Silverado's !!!!
    very touching Blue good luck to you also

Ryan
    I am probably gonna do my oil change this weekend. Im at like 2600 mls. Could i get some suggestions on oil and filters? I know u have talked about it before. But i wasnt ready for it. Hopefully u guys can help. Thanks

Ryan
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    yep, why don't you go back and check out silverado's I-XI...you're sure to find something back there! seriously...fyi, i used quaker state 5w30 and ac delco pf 59 for my first two changes (3500 and 7000 miles respectively). no problems. switching to mobil 1 5w30 at 10,500. going to use an M1 filter also (the number is either 201 or 206, can't remember right now) cuz they threw it in with a case of oil. from here out, i'll use M1 5W30 oil and either the M1 or AC Delco filters.

but hey, i guess i shouldn't even waste my time posting advice anymore...just questions. apparently there's only one person on here who really knows anything about these trucks... ;)

kyle
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    ryan,
    thanks for the info on perf. parts. i called on friday and ordered the rail caps. about $75 with the s/h fees. should be here by the end of the week. hopefully, next month, i'll have some other loans paid off and be able to afford an under the rail spray-in...

kyle
This discussion has been closed.