Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XII

Comments

• rob169rob169 Member Posts: 13
    Kyle and Steven...thanks for the tips!
  • mainebowtiemainebowtie Member Posts: 5
    I really didn't feel a big difference in performance but I find myself stepping on it more so I can hear it and end up going faster! You don't notice it much unless you're under load like on a hill or stepping on it while it's going up through the gears. It's quiet the rest of the time. BTW, I started the truck when the exhaust was off and it was quiet at idle with nothing.
  • jimtncjimtnc Member Posts: 36
    trying to get as much information as possible so I can make an informed decision. Should have got the factory installed hitch, BUT I didn't. I'll be lurking around to see if any more info surfaces. Thanks again, guys.
    Jim.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Hey did u get that Wade website i sent you in your mail??? Let me know

Ryan
  • hawgdawghawgdawg Member Posts: 24
    I installed a Hidden Hitch Class III on my '00 Silverado LS Z71 and think it's great.
    As someone already mentioned just the receiver is visible and not all the garbage that most hitches show.

The owners manual does a great job of describing where the trailer wiring is and how to wire it. A standard flat 4 plug can be installed in about 10 minutes for about 5 dollars.

The Hidden Hitch installes in about 15 minutes at most.

BTW, the Tundra has a weak component in the trailer wiring system that has blown two or three times already on my brother's truck. It basically kills power to one of the plugs to the trailer lights, thus they don't work properly. The dealer (Chevy/Toyota) said they have installed 6 on another Tundra. Not a big problem but just an annoying one.
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    what happened on the Trucksrme topic? Was just getting good. Some people are just no good...
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..dbhull ruined it with religion speeches..

Oh well.....there is always the start new topic button!

- Tim
    I think My truck is pissed at me . I hauled a bunch of sod soil and mulch after work. Drove good. Tow haul kinda sucked at each light when i hit the gas when it hit first it was like someone was kicking me in my (ill edit this) butt then to second the same thing i think i took off to fast with to much weight. Hopefully tow haul is better when towing a boat or trailer.

Ryan
    the tow/haul will hold the gears longer and shift harder...
    If you notice it that much....you didn't have enough weight to really even use it.

When she is loaded down with a real load...it works very nice.

Try it dry and if it's like it was...you didn't need to use it.

- Tim
    I actually tried it with nothing no kick in the butt like this. I think i was taking off to fast and it couldnt catch up or something when it was shifting you know. Oh it was loaded down trust me man. It sagged a little bit very small but still it was loaded. Spray in liner was nice i took everything out just took a broom to the back. Gotta wash off the mudd though.

KYLE!!!!! That email you sent me didnt have a website just the price is what you told me sorry man.

Ryan
  • khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    What other upgrades have you made, and has anything improved gas mileage.

Thanks
    Kirk
  • parker17parker17 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2000 LT Z71 in early Jan, now have 12k. Ordered IAS shocks with 1/3 off from carparts.com on 6/6 delivered today for $203.00 with $27.00 rebate, price is $176.00; not bad price or delivery. Rhino lined 3 months ago love it. Weathertech visors on front window very sleek. Bug deflector 2, wind noise as reported before; local glass shop did not recommend urethane sealant, does bond side seal permanently to windshield they would need to be replaced at about $70 bucks if every replacing windshield, owner suggested silicone although it won't hold as well in hot weather. M1 at second change at 3.5k, mileage between 16.9 and 17.3, 65% highway 35% city. No problems so far. Will report back on shocks and A.R.E. Z series after installations. Thanks to all for the great info on site.
    Greg
  • mainebowtiemainebowtie Member Posts: 5
    I haven't made any other changes that would affect mileage much. I picked up my truck in mid December and during the winter I was getting about 16 mpg. Now with better temps and 4k miles I've gotten 18.8 and 19.1 the last two tank fulls. I travel 15 miles on my commute at 40 to 50 mph. No highway. I did just add a soft tonneau cover but I haven't driven the truck much the last couple of weeks. I drive my car most of the summer. I've been looking at the performance air intakes but I'm not sure if they're worth the money. That seems like a lot of money for a plastic tube and a small round filter. At least with the exhaust you can see it when you walk by it and you hear it every time you drive. BTW my truck is an LS reg cab, short bed, 4x4, 5.3, 3:73 locking rear. What mods are you planning to do?
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    I have a '00 Silverado 5.3. Does anyone who lives in a hot climate find the air conditioning lacking? I follow the owner's manual instructions leaving control turned all the way down on blue and circulation button on. It cools but just doesn't seem to cool down as quickly as I like and stay as cold as I like. Anyone else feel the same. Comments/advise appreciated.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I am assuming that you vent the hot air out of the cab when first getting in...with the humidity and heat in my tropical zone, I'm pretty happy with the a/c except for the first couple of minutes...maybe you should have the dealer check the freon level cause if left on the #3 setting, it gets pretty frosty even in 90 degree weather.
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    We moved and built a new home so haven't been keeping up with the posts, but it's good to see the regulars are still hanging in here. Scanned back to read prior posts and found a lot of good information. Thanks to werking I found all the grease fittings (nice pics too). Lots of other real informative posts as well.

Got 8500 miles on my rig now. Absolutely no problems with anything 'cept for the rear quarter window whistle at high speeds. This was fixed months ago and the problem has not returned.

Now I am looking for ways to increase performance and fuel economy..been getting about 16.5 mpg. This is down from the 18 mpg I got when new. I'll try a high performance air filter and see if that helps.

Next place to look at is the exhaust system. Seems to me that a true "dual out" system from the 'cats would give the best overall performance (mpg and horsepower ) but I am leery of a really loud system: My wife would kill me if I screwed up this truck. My local muffler shop wants to split it at the Y and run 2 1/2 inch pipes into dual "Turbos" (stacked side by side) and exit out the rear. As I said, I'm not looking for a lot of noise and am also afraid this system could lead to interior cab resonance. Any thoughts?

On the other hand, running a "single in-dual out" system should produce the more mellow sound that I want but would it really give me any added performance? Flowmaster offers this system, but this shop doesn't stock them (special order) and they say the Turbo single in- dual out is a better performer. This is a two chamber muffler I believe.

Anyone have any experience with any of this??
    Thanks,

clay
    put Gibson exhaust on mine (Stainless) and I'm real happy with it. Sound is louder than stock, yet still mellow, but I haven't had it long enough to know if there are any mileage increases yet. Getting about 16 MPG city/highway with mine...
    Air conditioning- Its been in upper 90's here no problems blows freezing cold air

DRLs seen a truck this morning with drivers side burnt out. Just an update

Ryan
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    parker -
    thanks for the update. sounds like things are pretty good for you, as they are with most folks here. i never understand how people can come on here and say things like, "i've been reading the posts here for a while and think i'm going to go get a tundra because everyone here complains about their truck..."

kyle
    tex6 -
    i'm in south carolina, and since late april it's been hitting mid-high 90s on a pretty regular basis - humid as well. i've had my '00 LS 1500 since january and when i do use my a/c it works just fine. it does take longer than i'm used to to cool the cab down, but my previous vehicle was an ext cab s-10 which cooled down real fast cuz it was so small. once the cab cools down though...i pop it back to fresh air and keep it on 1 or 2. sometimes, if the wife's with me, i even have to adjust the temp dial cuz the air it blows is too cold. also, my truck is black...so it gets pretty damn hot. if you haven't tried one, get a reflective visor for your windshield when you're at work or whatever. my experience has been that they drastically reduce the interior temp when you get back in your truck - you can actually touch the steering wheel and shift to drive without experiencing 3rd degree burns...good luck

kyle
    glad to hear you're running well also. glad to be of service with the zerk pics. my wife thinks i'm on something when i get under there with the digital camera. glad at least you guys appreciate them...

kyle
    all -
    i'm looking for the cheapest site to purchase wade bed rail caps. i've decided to combine them with an under the rail spray-in. i had a site that was selling them for $67 but i can't find it anymore. now, the best i've found is at 4x4toyz.com for $79.99 + $10 s/h. anyone seen 'em cheaper out there? cabelas is $99. what online sites do you guys shop at??? thanks

kyle
    Performance products has em for $58 and some change. Let me know if you want the part # and phone number so u can call when i get home i can email it to you let me know if you want it

Ryan
    Swobig--Gibson huh? Are you running a single pipe from the Y into this muffler, then dual out? What size pipes did you use? Did you do all the work or did you have it done..if so, do you mind if I ask what you spent? Any interior noise? Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it.

Werking: Yeah this truck is by far the nicest truck I have ever owned. Been a Ford man in the past but there is no comparison now.

I live in Missouri and it has been HOT here lately and the air conditioning system performs quite well for me. I always use the re-circulation mode which seems to move the hot air out faster. After a few minutes, I will have the system on low speeds to maintain the temperature.

My rig: 00, 1500, Extended, Z71, Auto, 5.3

Any other exhaust systems out there?

Thanks!
    clay
    ryan,

yeah, email it to me if you would. they're not online?

kyle
  • lincoln5lincoln5 Member Posts: 40
    I live in Tyler and have had a 99 GMC reg cab since last June. My AC has been really good. It will put icicles on your nose in August! If your's isn't doing the job I would suggest a complete check by an AC expert.
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    Thanks to all for your comments/advise. I normally do not put my fan speed higher than 2, perhaps I should use 3 initially as obyone suggests. Lincoln5, what is normally your fan speed. I live in San Antonio.
    Performance products has a website but it doesnt have half of the stuff they sell its a bad website. Ill send it to you when i get home after i go to this softball game (haha Tim you know whos it is and guess whos driving her there im getting sucked in fast guys save meeeeee!!!) then i have a meeting at work but ill definitly send it dont worry.

Ryan
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    Bassamatic - I've been evaluating exhaust over the past couple of weeks. I've decided on the Magnaflow single in/dual out. I've talked to their reps, as well as Dynomax. The Magnaflow muffler is a straight through design, but is supposed to be about equal to the Flowmaster 70 series in sound. I'm told the input pipe on the GM 5.3 is 2 3/4 inches so to go with either the 2 1/2 or 3 in and no bigger than 2 1/4 out. If you get bigger than that on the exit side then you lose torque/horsepower etc. because of no or too little back pressure. That was recommended by Magnaflow and the shop I'm going to have do it this weekend. I'll give some feedback on sound/interior noise after this weekend.

My requirements in this order were a nice sound when I get on it, no interior noise at cruising speeds and performance gain. This setup I described seems to come the most recommended. I did not look at Gibson or Borla (ruled out due to costs).

A/C on my 2000 (black truck in Dallas) will freeze you out in a matter of minutes. I do use the higher fan speeds until it cools off, but then can reduce it back to 2 or 3. This A/C is much improved over my '96 which also used the newer "freon".

Greg
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Run the fan WFO, or as high as you can tolerate the noise for max AC performance. If insufficient air moves across the evaporator, the compressor clutch kicks off until enough heat is accumulated in the freon to cycle the compressor back on.

Also, if your vehicle is approching a year old or you drive in lots of dust, replace your passenger compartment air filter, if plugged, these will reduce flow.

Only run your air vent on recirc for short periods of time, run fresh air position most of the time.
    as for running fresh or re-circ...that's an old debate...not sure what the proper is...I run re-circ almost all the time.

As for it working good or not....well of course on hot days if you don't run more than 2...yeah it's gonna seem warm!

I run that puppy on 5...then 3 when cooler....eventually on 2 after a long while...unless the sun is shining directly in...then stay on 3.

By all means...crank that puppy up at first!

- Tim
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    Dumped the 99 BlueBeast LT, xcab, Z71 !!!!!!!!! Hope y'all enjoy the one you have, special note: good luck to babbler!!

Replacement = Lexus LS400
    did the exhaust all myself, cost about $375. I'm definately no mechanic and it took me about 2 hours. It connects from the Y pipe. It's a single in, single out the side - I believe 3". The kit came with everything, even the chrome tip. Got it from www.carparts.com with a coupon.

Bluebeast, your going soft on us - a Lexus!
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Remember "Fresh Air, vs, Time Square".....

Guess so of us like living in country and breathing fresh air, others like the city and breathing recirculated air. Course I probably sweat alot more on my vinyl seats.....

Recirc = Max A/C on older GM's
    Fresh = A/C on older GM's
    the Max?

LOL

...A lexus!?.....(aka Toyota)..

man....you have let us down man...

Lemme know how it hauls deer come hunting season!

LOL

- Tim
    how much did you get for the 99LT?

How many miles?

- Tim
  • gotribe1gotribe1 Member Posts: 81
    I've been out with the truck and trailer and was taking a census of colors and age groups. I was going to give you the totals and now it seems you've seen the light about Carmine! They used to refer to a certain shade of blue as "old fart blue". But it wasn't as dark as Indigo! Did you ever see the light about oil changes or are you still waiting until the light comes on? If you want to get more miles out of your tires and avoid a lot of the vibration problems we've read about you should change the air in your tires to "summer air"! When they built your truck it had winter air which has lower humidity. Now that its in the 90's you should let that air out and refill with the denser "summer air"! As one of the wise old men on this site says, "good luck with this one now" ps. don't forget the spare!
  • murizarmurizar Member Posts: 33
    It took me a while to read 1k posts. What is up with that?

Houston weather and running AC at 2 at worst case. Most of the time at 1 when girlfriend on board since she always closes her vents and causes me to freeze my **S-off. This is the best AC I have ever used.
    Changed rear 4x6 speakers.
    1. Remove both plastic floor panels next to the seats.
    2. Remove plastic panel below the whole length of rear widow.
    3. Remove both plastic body panels that cover speakers.

All panels snap in and out. The old speakers are paper cone and are glued into a bracket. All you have to do is snap the top part of the bracket in a down and out motion and the speakers come out. The front of the old speakers were covered with cloth and had foam around the edges to make better contact with the plastic body panel. I had to screw the new speakers in place but I am sure Crutchfield sells the speaker bracket. Replace with Pioneer 4x6 two way at $35 per pair instead of the $99 at Crutchfield. Big difference.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    ...for a TOY? And an expensive Toy at that?

I don't think I would admit that in public. And I know I wouldn't be proud. I equate Lexus with Hundai (no offense to Hundai owners).

Richard
    Don't forget to keep checking tire pressures because of the hotter temps. Sister blew both front tires on her front wheel drive car on a Santa Fe-Houston trip. Left with car manufacture recommended press of 28 lbs on each tire and came back with two new tires. Max tire recomended pressure was 35 lbs. The problem was that she put 28 lbs when the outside morning air was 65F at Santa Fe but 800 miles later when she hit Texas at a 90+ outside temp, front wheel drive...pow!

I have noticed that if I park my truck over night the morning sun that shines on one front and rear tire is hot enough to make a 4 lbs difference when checked against the other two shaded tires.

Also if I check my tire pressure in the morning and leave my truck on the shade and check the pressure at noon the pressure has gone up by 4 lbs also. So at this rate my sister must have had 80 if not more lbs when she hit Texas. OK, maybe not that much, but get my point?
  • page3page3 Member Posts: 54
    Ok...guess I gotta put my 2 cents in about this AC. 114 in Lake Havasu,Az.and all is well. Even turned it down a little. The engine and trany does fine towing a 6500 lb boat at 65mph up and down hills.
    Swobig-thanks for the reply. Sounds like a nice system, but the $375.00 is a little steep for me at this point. I just put on an ARE fiberglass tonneau for around $600.00 so have to watch my pennies! That 3" out will make a huge difference.

Gnipper- I'll ask the shop tomorrow about the Magnaflow. I've seen some earlier posts and it seems to be a decent muffler. So your running a single 2 1/2 inch pipe in from the Y to the Muffler and a 2 1/4 inch dual out..right? I look forward to your post after the weekend on how you like it. I notice that your requirements and mine are identical. What's your shop charging you if you don't mind me asking?

I have seen in earlier posts where a lot of you are wondering why are we messing with the factory exhaust, guessing that we just want to be heard. Not true, believe me. Think about it for a moment: Did any of us by this truck because it was so quiet? I sure didn't...I bought this truck because of the styling and PERFORMANCE. What we are doing now is looking for ways to improve on this performance. A high dollar, free flowing K&N air filter is one step. The exhaust system is the most logical place to look next.

If any of you have done any street racing (I grew up in the muscle car days) the FIRST place we looked for improvement in performance was the exhaust system! Headers, Glasspacks, and hey, remember the "dump-outs"?

I could care less about noise or being heard...it's just a matter of doing all I can to let this truck realize it's full potential.

Whew! Where was I going there?

One last thing..does anyone else feel this 5.3 liter engine is a re-introduction of the old Chevy 327? Bigger bore but the rest of the specs seem pretty darn close.
    Thanks again for the replys.
    clay
    00 1500 LT Z71 ext cab,2200 miles,no problems,great ac in Austin tx.So far husky floor liners,weathertech side window visors,tinted front windows to match the rest and lund interceptor bug deflector.Thinking about catback,performance chip and some kind of air intake mod.Also getting a spray in liner and mudflaps and maybe some sterio upgrades.And then it will be time to trade for a crew cab in 01 or 02.

Kirk
    Isn't that Lexus just a Isuzu with some fancy trim on it???
    Where do you get the coupons for 1/3 off
    I regestered A week ago and havent heard anything from them.

Thanks
    Kirk
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    After getting my new Z71 it would be hard to part with it for anything. But if I were to ever buy a foreign car, and if I were to ever find enough money to buy a car in the luxury range it would only be the Lexus. I'm sure you have, but wonder if you know the new LS is coming - LS430. Tremendous number of improvements - double pane glass, automatic closing doors, auto air - for the back seat, adjustable rear seats, quieter (if this car could really get any quieter) and several more improvements, all for apparently about the same cost as the current LS400 is selling for.

I hope you got a good deal on it.

Greg
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Gnipper, Lincoln5, Tex6, Cdean

You can take the boy out of Texas, (me), but you can't take Texas out of the boy! My uncle Bill and Aunt Rosemary live in Tyler. I grew up in Big D. Love old San Antone too.

My air cond blows ice cubes too. Not that hot in Denver usually, but so dry you have to run around in the shower to get wet.

Hey...Texans know what to drive.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Tires are supposed to checked when cold. If the tires blew on a trip they were defective; maximum pressure is the maximum cold pressure, and they should have handled it. I hope your sister wasn't hurt or anything. Probably Lexus tires...

Lexus ... I thought they were supposed to be perfect already ... even though I have seriously never been impressed. Doesn't seem that quiet, very small inside for the size outside, needs premium fuel, fuel economy lousy for the size, my head hits the headliner even when seat is all the way down, etc. etc.

For the price, I'd rather have something that isn't coveted by gang menbers and 80+ year old golf players.
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I don't live in a humid area (thanks), but here in southern Nevada it gets very hot! It was around 112 F today here in Las Vegas.

My A/C works great!!! A couple of minutes & my leather seats are almost ice cold!
    rcoos
This discussion has been closed.