Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• supernovasupernova Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a
    04 XLE limited + HF package (#5)
    ,rear spoiler at $34300 + tax

Does this sound a good deal ?
  • soyyo1soyyo1 Member Posts: 18
    No is no good price, why you don't got 2005?
     just because people paying what they ask , that is the reason all the car going up.

Now you have your toyota sienna enjoy,,but the price is no right
  • jet_noisejet_noise Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I was quoted $29,000 plus tax, title, tags for a 2005 XLE with option package #3 and floor mats. TMV is 30,454. I offered the dealer $28,750 but he wouldn't take it (just playing their games). I will go back tomorrow to find out what the mileage is on the van (it's from another dealer) and will agree to the $29,000 if he still doesn't come down. Is this a good price? I feel it is a fair price for both myself and the dealer. I would appreciate any insight into this. Thanks.

Jet Noise
    give him $28,500 if have some milles tell him no..get the 2005 for $ 30,000 one year better....don't give more ,,,they can stay with the van and see what they going to do with it..

I'm looking 2005 AWD with HO package,,,so far they want $ 1500 over invoice, I will pay less ,,then Toyota will undrstand they can no think the every one is rich.
    I was looking the new Honda they want $39,000.00 plus $ 5000 over the msrp...I will never own Honda. Any one know wherei can get the siena for around $38,500?
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    Dear Soyyo1,

I have been given quotes by several different Texas Toyota dealers in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio areas for $l500 over invoice for my preferred 2005 XLE Ltd Sienna--they know I am looking for EXL Ltd. probably with DVD and maybe NAV, too. This $1500 over invoice seems to be the best price I've seen so far--but it is early in the game.
    What part of the country are you in? I don't think I need AWD in my part of Texas, so I want XLE Ltd, probably w/ HO package. If you find less than $1500 over invoice on 2005 (and without any worthless port added stuff like they always try to do in Gulf States), I would be very much obliged if you'd tell me.
    And, how do you plan to pay less than that $1500 ivoice mark up? Just wait them out? Thanks for any ideas.
    Mr.QD
    I'm in south California, I got one for $500 over invoice in davis california,,but the color blue is ugly. The reason i like awd is because i travel to Boston, in xmas time, I have a 4 runner but to small kids,,,so will be much better with the van,,,,I have had the nissan Quest ,best looking van but so much problem the they give me my morney back,,so I will pay cash for my van....Here south they asking $2000 for the awd $ 1200 if you don't want the awd,,,They say awd is to disficult to get. So they charge more,..

Don't pay $1500 I think is alot.....

Good luck to you.

Oh a pay $300 over the invoice for my 4runner in Boston,,,but they don't have the van yet,,so I way and see what is going on with the sienna
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    Thanks a lot. By the way, I like your forum name.
    Are you saying that $1200 over invoice is a price for which I should aim on the XLE Ltd. w/ HO as an option?
    Thanks again!
  • supernovasupernova Member Posts: 2
    Soyyo,
    thanks for the reply.
    Could you give me a price that you think reasonable.
    Since I haven't yet picked up the car,
    just paid a deposit to hold the car,
    I still have the chance to negotiate
    when I pick up the car.

thanks,
    Sorry but after you give deposit the car is your.

I did it today I have the sienna awd with ho package, for $40,053.75 after taxes in $130.00
    paper work....includes little xtras gadges the i have then right for me before i give a penni.
    I know I need to go to Boston to get it but in california they ask $42,300.00 plus tax the ship one,,in no little gadge...So you guy they need to sale and we need to buy but we can be ok if we don't get it..they need to make a living so don't give up.

and always shop to the end of the month,,remember is when they need to make more money

'good luck to all..Thank You very much edmunds,,,I don't think I will get all without looking first here

Soyyo= is me
  • thhu2205thhu2205 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks so much to all the buyers who shared their experience. With the help of the information I got from this forum, I was able to order a 2005 LE8 with FE, BW, CF with $26319, which is $500 over the dealer invoice, plus $99 documentation fee and some registration fee to be paid at pickup. I was told the car will be available in about 3 weeks. The dealer is Parkway toyota in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
  • jhxyzjhxyz Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

Any idea on pricing for a LE 2004 with Pkg7 in Long Island New York area?

Thanks in advance!

Jhxyz
  • hpanhpan Member Posts: 61
    Where can I find the dealer holdback info?
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    Type in "holdback" in the key word search box on Edmund's TIPS & ADVICE tap. Toyota is 2% of MSRP.
    don't know the situation in LI area. In New Jersey I was about to negotiate a 2004 LE8 with BW $200 above invoice but ordered a 2005 LE8 with $500 above invoice since the saving for 2004 is less than $500. All this happened yesterday, which is the last day of the month and appeared to have helped me a bit.
    You got a great deal!
    What was your break down?
    These are the invoice prices I found from Edmunds.com.
    LE8- $22390 + BW $2364 + CF$140 + Destination$540
    = $25434 + $500Dealer markup = $25934

How did you get $26319? Did I miss any thing?

Thanks in advance!

Jhxyz
  • hpanhpan Member Posts: 61
    The MSRP difference between XLE FWD 7-seat HU and Limited FWD HO is $1,295. What extras does the Limited have? I know the Limited has HID, laser cruise & parking sensors.

Does the XLE has parking sensors? Is is worth the extra money to buy the Limited?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Just a word of caution folks. The packages are not the same as they were in 2004. BW is not #7 BY is not BY. You'll see what I mean when the brochures and the website is updated.
                         ; )
                        Mackabee
    dealer's invoice includes some other fees such as ad fee and therefore is always higher than Edmunds. Edmunds says it doesn't track these fees. I have no other independent source of the dealer invoice but it appear to be consistent among different dearlers.
  • dexdex Member Posts: 42
    Hi all,
    I need some help ... I was getting ready to buy the 05 Odyssey but the Pax tire system is scaring me away. It's too hard to find a tire shop to repair a damaged tire with this system.

I live in Atlanta, GA and now want to get either the 04 or 05 XLE LTD. Please could someone give me an idea what a good price is for both and then I can decide which one to get. Also, if possible, please let me know the name of the dealer. Am I too late for the 04s ?

Thanks in advance.

Dex.
    Sorry ... in my previous post, I just realised that when I asked for what is a good price for a 04 and 05 XLE LTD in Atlanta I neglected to mention that it's for a FWD Sienna.
  • tjrrtjrr Member Posts: 23
    No, it is not too late to get an '04. I just bought an '04 XLE Limited two days ago. I shopped and shopped and shopped. I shoppped in person, I shopped via the phone, I shopped via email, and I also priced through AAA / BJ's wholesale, and my credit union. I eventually negotiated the deal in person. All I will say is that my original offer was well below the Edmunds invoice. After shopping I determined the dealer invoice was $1206 above Edmunds, per 3 of the dealers. They all quoted the same invoice prices. I believe I paid less than any price I have seen posted in this forum for a Limited.

I see in your next post that you want an AWD. I recall while checking everyone's local inventory, one dealer has an AWD. I believe they are on the east side of the perimeter. If you want a FWD, white, there were 3 '04 on the west side of the perimeter at the following dealers. Each of these dealers eventually quoted prices w/in $100 or so dollars of each other. Take your choice

Marietta Toyota
    Cherokee County Toyota
    Cobb County Toyota
  • fordtoyfordtoy Member Posts: 2
    Dealer wanted $500 over invoice, negotiated a little, got additional $200 off. Very happy. Pkg #3 is BI, typically equipped.
    All,

Can someone clarify what the following statement means?

I bought mine for $$$$ over invoice.

As I stated in my earlier post, (4724), the Edmunds invoice price is different (and the reason why is explained on a link they provide) than the one that the dealer quotes. In fact I just noticed they do not list the $220 charge for Artic Frost Pearl.

So many postings make the claim above, but often do not give enough info, options, tax (some quote total, and make the claim), etc.

When they use the word invoice do they mean the Edmunds invoice or dealer invoice? I suspect the later.
    Thank you so much for the response. I am almost certainly going to get the Sienna FWD XLE LTD since those PAX tires on the Odyssey (Touring) is just too much of a hassle and a big unknown. If you don't mind can you please give me a breakdown of what you paid since that would make it so much easier for me. I know that Toyota dealers in Atlanta seem to always add that Toyoguard option so I am curious to see if you had to have that as well. Thanks and I will let you know what transpires.
    When I go to the dealership, is it best to talk to a regular salesperson or should I talk with the internet salesperson ?
  • cabincabin Member Posts: 2
    We just had a frustrating experience. We placed a factory order for a 2005 XLE AWD with no packages with a dealer and even placed a 1K deposit. The dealer called back several days later, very embarrased, indicating that Toyota will not build a base XLE AWD without any packages. The cheapest package they have is GK (leather seats, side airbags, and sunshades) for almost 3K extra MSRP. Edmunds will let you price the car without a package and Toyota lists a MSRP for the vehicle that they won't build. This seems to smack of false advertising or bait-and switch. Toyota needs to get some feedback that this is not a good way to do business. Anyone else run into similar problems?
  • cabincabin Member Posts: 2
    We just had a frustrating experience. We placed a factory order for a 2005 XLE AWD with no packages with a dealer and even placed a 1K deposit. The dealer called back several days later, very embarrased, indicating that Toyota will not build a base XLE AWD without any packages. The cheapest package they have is GK (leather seats, side airbags, and sunshades) for almost 3K extra MSRP. Edmunds will let you price the car without a package and Toyota lists a MSRP for the vehicle that they won't build. This seems to smack of false advertising or bait-and switch. Toyota needs to get some feedback that this is not a good way to do business. Anyone else run into similar problems?
  • ottolamottolam Member Posts: 1
    I went to many dealers in North Jersey area, and the best deal I can get is $33,800 for XLE Limited w/ GV package and AFP color. Plus $129 Vehicle Protection Program (Window Entching) + $159 Documentary Fee + Tax/Registration/Title.

I am sure this is not a good price. However, this is the best deal I can find in North Jersey. The dealer told me that the demand in NJ is very high, and there is no way that anyone would sell me a Sienna XLE Limited at or near invoice price, unless I want to get the CE, LE, or XLE, but definitely not the Limited.

Anyone in North Jersey area know of a better deal than this one? The dealer also told me that it is very hard to find a XLE Limited w/ GV, because most of them are with DVD, Navigation, or both. Is this true?
    I did fine working with a regular salesperson. My guess is they are all salespeople who need to get there deals approved by the same person.

As you saw from my earlier post, I tried them all, and did find with a regular salesperson at two of the dealers. The first night I gave my offer, they countered, and brought the manager over. We have a brief discussion, each holding our own ground. I went home a did more research about why my invoice price was so different from theirs, and shopped some more. I returned a few night later and made a counter offer to their offer and the deal was done in 10 minutes.
    TJRR,
    Thanks. I actually have started the process and called both Cobb and Cherokee this afternoon and had some good discussions with them. I am assuming you will get the referral regardless whom the salesperson is.

Cobb said they would do it for $32.9k and Cherokee $32,8k before doc and taxes. They both said their invoice price was around $32.3k. I realise that I am going to have to go in which I hate since it's takes so much time and it's not something I enjoy. Apparently Marietta Toyota is the 'CostCo' Toyota so I want to check that route as well. BTW, is the $32.8k before doc and taxes decent or do I still have a way to go. Any hints you can give me would be much appreciated. Also, do the 04s and 05s look identical or are their any cosmetic changes ?

They all tried to talk me into rather getting an 05 model, not sure why. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
    Dex
  • krcinwesttxkrcinwesttx Member Posts: 6
    I've read a number of posts and like another poster here I am confused by the "$xxx over invoice" posts. We sat in a salesman's office in Midland, TX yesterday morning trying to order a 2005 Sienna XLE w/ package #3 plus floormats, Scotchguard fabric, and trailer hitch. The MSRP came to $33,004 which includes freight. Numbers time came and I started w/ Edmund's invoice prices and added $1000 which put me ~$2600 below MSRP. The best they would do was $1500 below MSRP--we were $1100 apart. I'm heading to Dallas in 2 weeks to visit family, and I let them know that I would try to find a dealer in the metroplex that could "come close" to my price. The sales guy insisted that no one is discounting 2005 Siennas $2600, and we politely walked (and they let us).

Question 1 - Has anyone bought a 2005 XLE for $2600 below MSRP window sticker?

Question 2 - Does anyone have a DFW-area Toyota dealer they can recommend? We'll be in Ft. Worth and Dallas over 4 days, so we can go anywhere.

Thanks,
    KRC
    I am looking for either a 04 or 05 Sienna LE with BW package.

Any idea what I should pay?

JHXYZ
  • fufufufufufu Member Posts: 2
    >dealer's invoice includes some other fees such as ad fee and therefore is always higher than Edmunds.

That's simply not true. An ad fee is not part of the invoice. In fact an ad fee is usually complete BS and shouldn't be paid. I would never agree to pay it. Advertising is part of the normal espenses that any business has and is included in the price of the vehicle. You don't pay an add fee when you buy a tv from an electronics store do you?
  • fufufufufufu Member Posts: 2
    According to what I have read the edmunds invoice price IS the dealer price. Advertising fees and destination charges are seperate expenses. Destination fees are legitimate but advertising fees are not and should never be paid IMO. Do you pay an advertising fee to walmart when you purchase something there?

Check out sites like carinfo.com to get more info on buying a new car. I have read several books on the subject and there are several ways that dealers try to get you. On a hot item like a sienna or odyssey they may be able to get away with it but I would refuse to pay it if it was listed as part of the price.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I agree with fufu. Toyota tried to charge me $600 for the Toyota Dealer Advertising fee. You can get away with not having to pay this on slower moving vehicles.I think generally the more variables dealers can throw at the consumer and make things confusing for them(i.e making prices difficult to compare) the better their profit margin. At best this fee is negotiable...maybe $50. At worse its a crock. Good luck shoppers!
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes, make sure you check our Smart Shopper board before buying - you can get there using the "browse by message board" feature at the left. We've got several discussions about which fees are legitimate, which ones you should question, and which ones you should never pay.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Could you email me the sales person?

jeff.buyvan(at)zoemail.net
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    the add fees are broken down separtely in the invoice so that the dealer will know what they are being charged for. Because of the different area's the add fees are diffrent. Edmunds and the other sites buy thier invoice for the Dep of Trans when the vehicles are shippeed around. They are not the invoices that the dealer's recieve from the Manufacter. I have been told it is a federal law that requires this, just like the truth in lending act that requires the rate, amount and term to be broken down on the loan contract.
  • cancancancan Member Posts: 4
    May I know which dealer you bought from and what is the dealer's invoice price?
  • xtremebargainxtremebargain Member Posts: 5
    Checked GA/TN/NC/VA area and the cheapest I could find was a dealer in Asheville, NC

$32,721 (NO doc fees, NO out-of-state tag fees)
    2004 XLE LTD base with the following options:
    -console
    -carpet mats

I traded my vehicle and drove out within an hour of arrival. Did not push me to buy any warranties or any other additionals.
    Check acton toyota...I got 2005 from there.

Is outside of Boston,MA but the service is the best...I'm in California and got my there,,,But I'm getting $4000.00 less then any other place in CA.
    Edmunds really give you all the infomation,,,then is as to you to shop around....wait for the end of the month, best time to shop.

good luck..

I have the sienna 2005 with awd HO ,FE, v2 Z1 GBS
    wellslock for under 38,000 before tax..& 130 dollars paper work
  • 3pinfever3pinfever Member Posts: 10
    Looking for an xle awd with GL CF RP. 3% works out to about 900 over the cars direct invoice which includes the regional advertising and destination.

Does this look like a good deal?
  • cablekccablekc Member Posts: 54
    One of the things my wife and I are looking at in getting a new Family vehicle that can provide a quiet riding experience.

For those that have test driven the Sienna, Quest or 2005 Odessey; which one had the most quietest drive experience?

My wife saw the commerical for the 2005 Odessey and pointed out to me that it is able to ensure a quiet ride.

I am sure I am not the only person that drives with a Cell phone and have found that it was difficult to hear due to the sheer amount of outside noise.
  • seattle007seattle007 Member Posts: 3
    I live in St. Louis and am in the market for a new minivan. I have a couple of questions:

1) I found a 2004 XLE Limited AWD DVD for $3,000 under invoice. Is this a good deal? We have not really considered AWD to date as our weather in St. Louis is not that bad in the winter.

2) Has anyone experienced ride dissatisfaction with AWD Siennas? I have come across some posts that indicate AWD models have a much stiffer ride.

3) We have two small children and my wife really wants the folding tray between the front seats so she can get to the back of the van easily. Almost all XLEs and XLE Limiteds have the console between the seats. Does anyone have any thoughts on the tray v. the console? Can the tray be installed after market?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    $3,000 under invoice?? According to our TMV report, which shows how much others are paying, that's a deal and a half. I'm seeing $3000 over invoice... only a few hundred under MSRP.

For your other questions, you might visit our regular Toyota Sienna discussion and check with other owners about how useful the other features are. I live in St. Louis too, and while it doesn't snow a lot, roads are a disaster when it does. AWD can come in handy.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

PS - I think I know you!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

After a few bad experiences with other dealers in New York Long Island area, I finaly got my 2005 LE 7 with Package 9(BZ) through this wonderful salesman/dealer.

Thanks to all your inputs and feedback!

I highly recommend this salesman/dealer...they don't play any games. Their price is best.

Email me and glad to help!

jeff.buyvan(at)zoemail.net
  • mustanggtmustanggt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for you information. Can you email the name of the dealer and the salesman in NY..by the way what does 2005 Pcakage 9(BZ) include....thanks again! and best wishes on your new van....JD
  • cancancancan Member Posts: 4
    Does the BZ package come with the DVD? As I know the BZ package for year 2005 model is the package #6 which without DVD, however for the year 2004 model is the package #9 which comes with the DVD entainement system. May I know what is the dealer invoice price and additional service fee there?
  • seattle007seattle007 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry---$3,000 under MSRP, not invoice.
  • ericcpaericcpa Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2004 XLE package 19 (FWD) about 3 weeks ago. Paid $625 over invoice with a catch (the doc fee was $249 and the dealer would not budge). We looked at the Quest (too many negative postings and appeared to have quality issues) and the new Honda (Dealers in my are were marking up the 05 vans by $1200 and $2500 respectively over MSRP)- while I was a bit concerned about the new engine technology [Honda's warranty is only 3/36, no extended powertrain]. We are very happy (wifes van) with the Toyota but I believe I could have gotten a better discount by holding out - the salesman wore me down. The Good:
    *Styling
    *Quiet & smooth ride (Lexus of vans)
    *Averaged 19 MPG (surprised us)
    The Bad/could be improved:
    *No power seat for passenger (on a $30k van!)
    *No memory driver seat (on a $30k van!, spoiled I guess)

That is it. The van is good (though a bit expensive). Comparing the prices to the Honda and especially the Nissan, we are very happy.
    and it should last quite a while